PDA

View Full Version : Great interview with McDaniels on The Fan

montrose
04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
McDaniels gave about a 20 minute interview to 104.3 The Fan with Scott Hastings and Alfred Williams. To me, it was McDaniels best interview to date (although he was still clearing his throat often) BY FAR. I'm sure they'll post it soon but here are some of the highlights. They're going to re-air it at 5pm today. Here's a very brief summary that I'm posting from memory, I'll post the complete interview when it goes up. Every Broncos fan should listen to it:

On Jay Cutler - Pretty much the same thing that's been said so far. Wanted him to stay, needed it to be a two-way commitment, thought he would've fit in well, there is no model QB for his system, etc. Nothing really new here so I wouldn't rehash it. He did throw in two things of note, 1) in terms of why they weren't more patient, he said they wanted to be but the owner should always be able to contact a player.

On Matt Cassel - Teams contacted us because we had a good QB and they wanted and saw the link between Cassel and I. Cassel's a good QB, he had a good season last year and will do well in Kansas City. At the time of the discussions, they were busy getting free agent deals done.

On Peyton Hillis - Said he loves Peyton Hillis' skill set and that he learned last year in New England (as did Denver) that four running backs aren't enough. Said you'll see Hillis in singleback sets and they'll be mixing in all of the backs to run, block and catch passes.

On talking Alfred (and fans) off the ledge - Says it's about improving the entire team. Throws about a bunch of examples and stats of areas on offense and special teams that need to be improved. Said the offense was put on a pedestal and that some believe the defense was solely responsible for losing eight games which just isn't true. Loves that fans are passionate and expects criticism. Said in his eight years with the Patriots, they had tons of success and people questioned things. Loves how much people here love the Broncos. Said the key to everything is winning. If we're winning, things will be going well.

On the offseason program - If a player needs to be do something outside of the building, that's fine. But it's great to have the players working together and the guys on the team like being in Denver, like being around the coaches and like being around each other. Said they've been at about 98% attendance so far in the offseason with a few guys missing here and there because of commitments.

On wearing a hoody - He'll mix them in next season. He likes hoodies and the zip-up pull over. Says he'll mix them in with his white hat.

On the structure at Dove Valley - Works closely with Brian Xanders on every decision and their offices are 20 feet next to Pat Bowlen's. Said they may fight and scream over decisions but they'll come to a consensus on every move so that everyone is happy before it happens. Says they all believe in getting tough, smart players who are good people.

Conclusion - He finished up by telling Alfred to get off that ledge and give him a chance.

Flex Gunmetal
04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Alfred has been fuming on facebook. His status says that cutler is the NFL's kobe bryant, yet he has a link to the "Jay Cutler is a Little Bitch" group in his status as well. lolz
Sounds like a good interview.

barryr
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
So looks like the "oh, McDaniels is going to get rid of Hillis and dismantle the whole offense" folks need something else to bitch about.

montrose
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
The link is up: http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1078931

Flex Gunmetal
04-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Glad they touched on hillis, too.

DenverBrit
04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Glad they touched on hillis, too.

He was high on Hillis. A good interview all round.

worm
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
So looks like the "oh, McDaniels is going to get rid of Hillis and dismantle the whole offense" folks need something else to b**** about.

Dude. Grab a mirror.

I have never seen ANYBODY whine and bitch about those he thinks whine and bitch as much as you.

Are you a chick?

montrose
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Scott and Al actually asked really good questions, I was surprised they got the interview and not Clough and that hack Armstrong.

barryr
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Dude. Grab a mirror.

I have never seen ANYBODY whine and b**** about those he thinks whine and b**** as much as you.

Are you a chick?

Truth hurts girly.

worm
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
He was high on Hillis. A good interview all round.

This seems like a no brainer.

Anybody can see what Hillis brings. If Josh doesn't find a way to incorporate him in the offense from an Xs and Os standpoint...he isn't the coach he is touted to be.

McDaniels wants tough, smart players that are good people....he has one here.

barryr
04-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Anybody can see what Hillis brings. If Josh doesn't find a way to incorporate him in the offense from an Xs and Os standpoint...he isn't the coach he is touted to be.

Of course, it took Shanahan how long and injuries to other RB's before he even started using him?

DenverBrit
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Not to the Drama Queens. ;D

HAT
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
So looks like the "oh, McDaniels is going to get rid of Hillis and dismantle the whole offense" folks need something else to b**** about.

No....We all no Mcpoopyface is a no good lying sack of sh1t who clears his throat too much and wears hoodies! Hillis is on the block I tell ya!

montrose
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
One thing I forgot I just caught. He said, he's not sure how someone gets the "franchise" label. McDaniels classifies players by their ability to win big games and Super Bowls.

Tombstone RJ
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
McDaniels gave about a 20 minute interview to 104.3 The Fan with Scott Hastings and Alfred Williams. To me, it was McDaniels best interview to date (although he was still clearing his throat often) BY FAR. I'm sure they'll post it soon but here are some of the highlights. They're going to re-air it at 5pm today. Here's a very brief summary that I'm posting from memory, I'll post the complete interview when it goes up. Every Broncos fan should listen to it:

On Jay Cutler - Pretty much the same thing that's been said so far. Wanted him to stay, needed it to be a two-way commitment, thought he would've fit in well, there is no model QB for his system, etc. Nothing really new here so I wouldn't rehash it. He did throw in two things of note, 1) in terms of why they weren't more patient, he said they wanted to be but the owner should always be able to contact a player.

On Matt Cassel - Teams contacted us because we had a good QB and they wanted and saw the link between Cassel and I. Cassel's a good QB, he had a good season last year and will do well in Kansas City. At the time of the discussions, they were busy getting free agent deals done.

On Peyton Hillis - Said he loves Peyton Hillis' skill set and that he learned last year in New England (as did Denver) that four running backs aren't enough. Said you'll see Hillis in singleback sets and they'll be mixing in all of the backs to run, block and catch passes.

On talking Alfred (and fans) off the ledge - Says it's about improving the entire team. Throws about a bunch of examples and stats of areas on offense and special teams that need to be improved. Said the offense was put on a pedestal and that some believe the defense was solely responsible for losing eight games which just isn't true. Loves that fans are passionate and expects criticism. Said in his eight years with the Patriots, they had tons of success and people questioned things. Loves how much people here love the Broncos. Said the key to everything is winning. If we're winning, things will be going well.

On the offseason program - If a player needs to be do something outside of the building, that's fine. But it's great to have the players working together and the guys on the team like being in Denver, like being around the coaches and like being around each other. Said they've been at about 98% attendance so far in the offseason with a few guys missing here and there because of commitments.

On wearing a hoody - He'll mix them in next season. He likes hoodies and the zip-up pull over. Says he'll mix them in with his white hat.

On the structure at Dove Valley - Works closely with Brian Xanders on every decision and their offices are 20 feet next to Pat Bowlen's. Said they may fight and scream over decisions but they'll come to a consensus on every move so that everyone is happy before it happens. Says they all believe in getting tough, smart players who are good people.

Conclusion - He finished up by telling Alfred to get off that ledge and give him a chance.

Hey TJ, yah, go back and look at my posts on Hillis and how he'll fit into this new system, in a single back formation.

Yah, schooled.

Tyrant
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow, I've been going back and forth on him, but I just became a full fledged supported when he exposed the so called fantastic offense at the 12:30 mark.

That was great stuff.

hambone13
04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I was surprised that he actually loosened up and showed he had some semblance of a personality. Hopefully, he does that more often because he did have some natural charisma that would be well received by the fans.

montrose
04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I was surprised that he actually loosened up and showed he had some semblance of a personality. Hopefully, he does that more often because he did have some natural charisma that would be well received by the fans.

I agree. It's not hard to see why he's gotten the team to buy-in.

prodigalson139
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Another telling nugget from the interview:

last year:
The Broncos had 17 2 minute drives last year and came away with one field goal.
We were one of the first teams to finish in the top 5 in yardage and not the top half in points scored.
And some horrible stats about special teams: average opponents starting field position

Defense was not the only problem...

bombay
04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I like his enthusiasm and confidence. Hope there's something to the confidence.

Didn't sound like he's looking as next season as a rebuilding year.

worm
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Defense was not the only problem...

Maybe it had to do with the 7 RBs needed? Maybe?

tsiguy96
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Of course, it took Shanahan how long and injuries to other RB's before he even started using him?

to be fair, hillis was a classic case of "dont know waht he can do til hes on the field"

i dont think he really deserved any time running the ball until he was forced into the role, but when he got that role he was money at it. tom brady etc....

Rohirrim
04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
in terms of why they weren't more patient, he said they wanted to be but the owner should always be able to contact a player.
Ouch.

outdoor_miner
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM

This was just an awesome part of the interview. He definitely has a vision. I'm on board. :sunshine:

prodigalson139
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Maybe it had to do with the 7 RBs needed? Maybe?

I agree to a degree, but in my opinion (yes, I understand that I have not posted much, yet have been a consistent lurker for the last 5 years) too many people cannot separate themselves from the 'fanboy' oh 'I worship at the feet of Jay Cutler' mentality to honestly say that under all the glitz and glam, he had some serious flaws.

Flaws that could have and can still be worked through, yet at the end out the half or games when you pass and not run, the highly-touted '2nd' ranked offense could only put the team in position to score a feeble FG.

And let it be known, I am a huge Cutler fan yet I am seriously excited about the direction the new regime is heading

BroncoLifer
04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Another telling nugget from the interview:

last year:
The Broncos had 17 2 minute drives last year and came away with one field goal.

That can't be right. Just off the top of my head, there was the touchdown to Marshall right before halftime in week #2 against SD.

prodigalson139
04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
That can't be right. Just off the top of my head, there was the touchdown to Marshall right before halftime in week #2 against SD.

That does ring a bell. Just reporting what the coach communicated.

I also remember a pass to Marshall in the 2nd KC game too that might have been under two minutes.

BroncoLifer
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM

And, of course, there was also a touchdown right at the end of the 4th Q in week #2 against SD that was a somewhat memorable conclusion to a 2-minute drive. :thumbsup:

D'OH!!!!

skpac1001
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
There were more then 17 2 minute drive opportunities in the season. He is pointing out 17 2 min. drive failures of the super elite offense.

TheDave
04-03-2009, 03:50 PM

100% agree... it was a very good interview during a very difficult time.

BMarsh615
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I love how whenever McDouchenozzell gets asked a tough question he always brings up that he knows what he is doing because of "where he came from"

Man **** the cheating ass Patriots and **** Josh McDaniels.

BroncoMan4ever
04-03-2009, 05:03 PM

i'm glad he cleared up that Hillis will be utilized and from the sounds of it, not traded.
another interesting tidbit, is that he said 4 isn't enough RBs, i'm thinking that could be a clue to the fact he will be drafting one, especially since i think all the RBs still under contract from the old regime(Hillis excluded at the moment) are all going to be cut.

DB Doom
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Its gonna be awesome to see everyone go.."Wow. He knew what he was doing.",
because this place sucks right now. Such misguided negative energy, and pointless too, this is how it is and how its going to be. Un ****ing real, no ****, that's obvious..but you got to come off the ledge..Josh isn't the antichrist.
Signed some nice vets, now we got the picks to get some talent to come in and learn the right way.

Hate on the Pats all you want..everybody hates a winner.