View Full Version : Draft Strategy???
04-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I've seen people somewhat discussing this in the myriad of Cutler trade reaction threads and thought it deserved it's own thread... (with a poll)
It seems to me that there are 3 options that the Broncos can follow....
1. Trade up and get Sanchez or Stafford (most likely Sanchez as he seems to be a better fit for our system and much less expensive to trade up to get.)
2. Stay at 12 and snag Sanchez if he falls to us. Or in other words, I like Sanchez but not sure if he's going to be a "franchise" QB.
3. Stay at 12 but look to shore up our defense. Wait to draft a Qb to the later rounds...
I'll post my thoughts on what I think they should do in another post...
04-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Stand pat, see if you can entice the Lions to move ahead of the Skins to take a tackle (if they take Stafford 1st overall). Take Beanie with a 1st to help shorten the game with he and Orton in the backfield.
04-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I definately want to go with the third option... Why???
1. I think Sanchez is really overrated. It seems to me that he's been elevated as a first round QB just because there's such a dearth of QB's this year (with McCoy and Bradford returning to school) not because of actual talent.
2. Our defense really is in terrible shape (no duh?) but in addition, almost all the front 7 talent we have is a poor fit for the 3-4 defense. I'd like to see 4 out of the 5 of the picks we have in the first 3 rounds go to the defensive side of the ball.
3. I don't think Orton is that great but I think he's servicable and I'd like to see McD spend a late round pick on a targeted QB that he can groom to replace Orton in a year or two, right when all the young studs we drafted on defense will be coming into their own.
04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I want to trade down and gain another 2nd round pick in 09. Denver has soo many needs we have the ammo to stockpile major picks next 2 yrs.
04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I'd start building this defense. We do need a RB but really hope this year we focus on the "D" entirely. I'm indifferent to Sanchez and Wells and really hope to see a Raji, Jackson, Maualuga type first round.
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
As long as we are not stupid, the first day of the draft will be great. I am looking forward to next years draft too.
If Chicago's pick in 2010 turns into Taylor Mays or Mt Cody, I will be dancing in the streets.
04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Stay away from BOTH QB's unless one of them is available @18. With pick #12, I want us to take the best available player--if it's Crabtree, take him. If it's Raji or Maulaugu, take them. But I am against trading up for any player that may go in the top 10 because, as others have noted, we have too many holes to fill on that front 7. Tyson Jackson may be an option as well--but I feel as though he will be the 'Marcus Spears' of 2009 which I wouldn't be thrilled with at all @ 12.
04-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I really hope that Denver does not combine their 2 1st round picks to trade up and take Mark Sanchez....that would be defeating the purpose of trading Cutler for picks if we have to use them to trade up and take an unproven QB.
If Sanchez fell to 12, I would not be as upset (although I am not a big Sanchez fan).
I don't really see us using a 1st round pick on a QB though....it is not the Patriot way.
I would rather roll with Orton and Simms in 2009 and draft a QB high in 2010 if we have to.
I see Denver using a mid round pick on a QB....maybe someone like Curtis Painter from Purdue.
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
wait until next year...if Orton is touched by God and becomes good, we won't need one..f he craps in his hat, we'll have a higher draft pick to work from I'd even trade down to get another first next year to really load up the cannon if needed.
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I'd rather wait a year and get a GOOD rookie qb...
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I think the Broncos are in a win/win situation. If Sanchez falls to 12 (he won't) you've got to take him, IMO. You still have another good, first round pick to use on D. If Sanchez is gone, you go D with both first picks. Jackson, Matthews? Cushing, Matthews? One of the nice things about taking Matthews (besides he plays with the kind of fire we need) at 18 is that you know Bellychix wants him for that 23 pick. ;D I like Knowshon over Beanie because of the injury history, if they go that route. But I have to think McD turns the first three or four picks over to Nolan. He knows how to evaluate D players.