PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler next?

TD30
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Anybody got the insider

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2ffeatures%2frumors

Rohirrim
04-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I guess it depends. Does he want to play here?

Pseudofool
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Go ahead and delete this post if necessary.Earlier this week, when asked about his thoughts on Jay Cutler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9597) officially being on the trading block, Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) tight end Tony Scheffler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9647) told the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_12051842?source=rss), "I'm not happy about it." When asked to respond yesterday to the news that one of his best friends on the team had been traded to the Chicago Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi), Scheffler told the Post (http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_12059910), "Good for Jay. We'll see how it turns out." Strangely enough, Scheffler may get a closer look at "how it turns out" than he realizes. Among the teams rumored to be on the hunt for a pass-catching tight end this offseason are the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf). While it would be over a 500-mile journey from Orchard Park, NY to Chicago, he'd be closer than if he stayed in Denver. A report by Pro Football Weekly (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The%20Way%20We%20Hear%20It/Whispers/2009/afc032209.htm) from last week indicated that the Broncos were entertaining offers for Scheffler and although he wasn't officially on the trading block, he was a player that another team could acquire if the price was right.
The Bills are amongst the teams that hosted Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew for a visit earlier this month, a player who is expected to land somewhere in the first round of the draft. But the Bills have arguably a greater need for a pass-rusher, and it might make more sense to try to swing a trade for Scheffler and take a defensive end like Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at No. 11.
A trade partner that would put Scheffler even closer to Cutler is the Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det), as a trip from Detroit to Chicago would be under 300 miles. Both the Lions and Broncos are draft pick rich right now in the first round, but the Lions have a need at tight end (amongst many other positions) and according to the reports, Scheffler does not fit in to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' offensive scheme. The Lions would likely not move one of their first-round picks in exchange for just Scheffler, but their second- or third-round pick could be available. Swapping between some of the mid first-round picks that the teams possess is also a possibility to grease the wheels of a Scheffler shuffle.
Any team looking for a cheaper but less impressive option at tight end will also be kicking George Wrighster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4562)'s tires in the coming weeks. According to the Florida Times-Union (http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-04-03/story/jaguars_release_veteran_tight_end), the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jac) will be releasing Wrighster today, a fact that seems to please Wrighster, who has written on his blog (http://tightend.blogspot.com/2009/04/24-hrs-and-counting.html) that "the past was bright, but the future will be incandescent!"

Gcver2ver3
i say trade two 3rds and Scheffler for Shaun Rogers...

HEAV

He doesn't have the stroke Cutler had...

Being that...he could be needed as a reciever with B-Marsh being out/suspended.

P.S.

ESPN insider is useless...

socalorado
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM

DEN trades TE Sheffler both 2009 3rd rounders
for
CLE Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers

THere. Now that equal value. Rogers want out anyways. He would have to eat some contract though.

bap454
04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Number #18 and Shef for Rodgers/ Quinn?

supermanhr9
04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
there's no way we're bringing in another QB unless we draft one. Also, Mangini is keeping Brady

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/04/report_cleveland_browns_offere.html

Chris
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Does anyone else think it's funny that Scheff is made out to be Jay's manboylover?

Maybe they have a Simmsahan tattoo...

Gcver2ver3
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
DEN trades TE Sheffler both 2009 3rd rounders
for
CLE Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers

THere. Now that equal value. Rogers want out anyways. He would have to eat some contract though.

didn't the Browns acquire Rogers for a 3rd and a 5th?...

Rogers certainly didn't lessen his stock after last season...he's a stud and he won't come cheap...

Brady Quinn was drafted in the 1st round just a couple seasons ago...

i'm not sure how you feel that's equal value, but i'd be all for that trade if Cleveland was dumb enough to accept it...

but they won't...

socalorado
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Rogers certainly didn't lessen his stock after last season...he's a stud and he won't come cheap...

i'm not sure how you feel that's equal value, but i'd be all for that trade if Cleveland was dumb enough to accept it...

but they won't...

Sheffler! CMON! MAN!

Killericon
04-03-2009, 01:15 PM
The Eagles should be ALL over this.

Bronx33
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM

:giggle:

BroncoMan4ever
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM

if Detroits number 33 really is up for grabs, i say send them Scheff and a mid rounder for it and then get Barwin or anyone who might slide out of the 1st.

barryr
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Next, the Cutler fans will become Scheffler fans and tell us trading a future HOF TE is stupid and so is McDaniels.

Gcver2ver3
04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
if Detroits number 33 really is up for grabs, i say send them Scheff and a mid rounder for it and then get Barwin or anyone who might slide out of the 1st.

that would be great...

but i don't believe even for a minute that Detroit would be willing to come off of the first pick in the 2nd round for Scheff and a mid round pick...

maybe they'd consider it if we give them Scheff and our #48 pick...but even then i'm not so sure...

outside of Bronco-land...i don't believe anyone values Scheffler as worth more than a 3rd round pick...

Gcver2ver3
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Sheffler! CMON! MAN!

my bad man...my bad...

eddie mac
04-03-2009, 02:42 PM
It very much depends upon 3 things really and in this order.

1. If an excellent offer comes why should McDaniels turn it down.

2. If Tony would prefer to play elsewhere or has no desire to extend beyond his contract year.

3. Not so much but it could depend a little on Marshall's situation and his possible suspension.

Drek
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM

but they won't...

They'd probably kill for that deal.

Rogers played well last season but he's due some massive money and is still a fat ass. Every year further he gets into his career the injury factor increases dramatically. He'd be lucky if he'd return the 3rd and 5th they paid for him.

And as I said in the Quinn specific thread, they were shopping a guy Quinn is in open competition with for a 3rd earlier this off-season, so why should Quinn cost any more?

A 3rd and Sheffler? Ok, makes sense. Just both 3rds? That too. But I don't much see the need for Quinn unless we move Orton in the process, because we don't need three guys competing for one job, they'd never be able to distribute reps fairly. I don't think McDaniels is Gruden part II.

I'd rather just trade Sheffler for a late 2nd/early 3rd and use one of our later 3rds to pick up Travis Beckum, who is a very good receiving TE who is less of an injury risk than Sheffler despite spending much of last season out with a broken leg.

rastaman
04-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else think it's funny that Scheff is made out to be Jay's manboylover?

Maybe they have a Simmsahan tattoo...

One could also say the same for all the fans who are currently groveling down to Bowlen and McD, foolishly believing the dynamic duo can do no wrong....why all the "ManboyLove" w/o a peep?;)

oubronco
04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
just trade the whole offense and get it over with

frerottenextelway
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM

but they won't...

Isn't Rogers the guy who punched Quinn in the face, or was that a different teammate of his?

extralife
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd much rather have Scheffler than anything we'd realistically get for him.

rastaman
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
just trade the whole offense and get it over with

In a year or two the Offense Shanny drafted and developed will not be wearing the Bronco "Orange-n-Blue". Next year, Napolean McDaniels will start tinkering around with the Offensive line as well as start finding a new team for BMarsh. Within a 2 or 3 year period.....we won't recognize any of the Bronco players.

orinjkrush
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
now if he just went back to the orange uni's with the big D on the helmet....

broncosteven
04-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I think Marshall and Champ should be on the block also.

If MickyD needs his guys to win or play his scheme he should trade to aquire them or stock pile draft picks.

I am not sure if we need a TE other than Grahm in MickyD's system so trade Sheff Marshall, and Champ for Dline help.

barryr
04-04-2009, 05:28 PM
In a year or two the Offense Shanny drafted and developed will not be wearing the Bronco "Orange-n-Blue". Next year, Napolean McDaniels will start tinkering around with the Offensive line as well as start finding a new team for BMarsh. Within a 2 or 3 year period.....we won't recognize any of the Bronco players.

More irrational BS.

barryr
04-04-2009, 05:29 PM

If MickyD needs his guys to win or play his scheme he should trade to aquire them or stock pile draft picks.

I am not sure if we need a TE other than Grahm in MickyD's system so trade Sheff Marshall, and Champ for Dline help.

More irrational BS.

lex
04-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Not Marshall...unless there is a concern with his off the field problems. But he definitely fits the scheme. We've thrown that Welker screen many times and let him carve out yardage for himself. He's too good after the catch and also too good in the red zone. He's scheme diverse.

Champ on the other hand, is making a lot of money. It would depend on signing bonus implications but if trading Champ actually means improving other areas, then yeah. But Im guessing they wont want to get rid of him. Im guessing McDaniels sees him as "Denver's Ty Law" even though he's better.

extralife
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I'd be ok with trading Champ (even though I love him) if we had any depth at corner. But we don't.

barryr
04-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos take a CB in round 3 or 4.

gyldenlove
04-04-2009, 05:50 PM
More irrational BS.

Can I use that line too? that is just too useful now a days to pass up.

barryr
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Can I use that line too? that is just too useful now a days to pass up.

Sure, but you'll end up using it many times from now through preseason.

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a feeling Scheff gets moved on draft day. I like Sheff but he get's hurt too much, doesn't block that great, and probably picked Cutlers side in this whole mess.

IMO that all equals him being shipped out of town. Maybe package Sheff with a first round pick to move up in the round and grab a player Mcdaniels really wants. I would think maybe one of the Dlineman expected to go before we pick.

Who knows but it's safe to say any player could get moved. Who knows maybe even Bailey but I think he's safe. I don't think Mcdaniels will want to lose his only real holdover stud on defense as well as offense.

barryr
04-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I have a feeling Scheff gets moved on draft day. I like Sheff but he get's hurt too much, doesn't block that great, and probably picked Cutlers side in this whole mess.

IMO that all equals him being shipped out of town. Maybe package Sheff with a first round pick to move up in the round and grab a player Mcdaniels really wants. I would think maybe one of the Dlineman expected to go before we pick.

Who knows but it's safe to say any player could get moved. Who knows maybe even Bailey but I think he's safe. I don't think Mcdaniels will want to lose his only real holdover stud on defense as well as offense.

Scheffler just can't stay healthy, is a one-dimensional TE, and wost of all, he has Cook for an agent, so chances are good he won't be around long.

Spider
04-04-2009, 06:14 PM
let me guess Sheff is a franchise TE now ........

footstepsfrom#27
04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
So apparently if you liked Cutler your days are numbered eh? The more of this crap I hear the more disgusted I get.

Rock Chalk
04-04-2009, 06:31 PM
So apparently if you liked Cutler your days are numbered eh? The more of this crap I hear the more disgusted I get.

I dont understand where you got that from the OP.

Sheffler isnt on the trading block officially and he's certainly not an "untouchable". Nowhere even close to Cutler in importance to the team. Why should any coach not listen to trade talks about Sheffler IF they come calling?

Its also pretty obvious Sheffler doesnt like the new coach, doesnt like that his lover was shipped off to Chicago and probably wont like playing here. Add in his injury history and that makes Sheffler very expendable.

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Why would he want to mess with Clady, Harris, Kuper. They all have good size and good feet. I think he would be making a mistake if he didn't look to add a center in the draft, and maybe even an interior lineman to groom and eventually take over for hamilton.

Center for sure IMO is an area where we should look for depth and a possible starter someday. Lichtenehatever may be a good player but it would be nice to have some more young bodies.

I think you are making a prediction that won't come true. IMO Clady, Kuper, Harris will be Broncos for a long time. Marshal, I hope he does, but at some point he has to have offseasons with no surgeries or he won't last.

cutthemdown
04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Scheff at that point in career he needs to play all 16 games or risk being a depth player for the later part of career.

Teams, or the Broncos, won't want to depend on a player that misses games every yr. Instead you may find a place on your team for him, but probably not see him as a solution to the TE position.

Broncos may try and use Scheff on draft day. I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

frerottenextelway
04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Sheffler is officially under the bus tires around here.

gyldenlove
04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Sure, but you'll end up using it many times from now through preseason.

I am okay with that, it will save my a lot of time and grief I am sure

Atlas
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
More irrational BS.

Of course if they don't agree with you they must be irrational.