PDA

View Full Version : If Elway was GM?

Taco John
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I'll leave the thread title to sort of speak for itself...

I wish we had a real GM with real power.

24champ
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
If Elway was GM, Jay would still be here. Guaranteed.

TheReverend
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I just HOPE we have some great evaluations on draft prospects.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Probably true. Jay would probably still be here if Elway was GM.

By the way, shouldn't this have a poll involved? Or is that only for threads started by Baja?

Rohirrim
04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
If Elway was the GM? He'd sell the team to Wayne Huizenga. ;D

atomicbloke
04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Is Elway even remotely qualified to be a GM?

vancejohnson82
04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Wasnt Elway the GM of the Crush??

or was he just the owner?

24champ
04-03-2009, 01:05 PM
You know Taco, I always wonder why the hell Pat Bowlen hired a coach FIRST and then a GM second. Doesn't make sense...unless you plan to give the HC all the power now.

Spider
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM

How dare you ... How dare you ask this question ...elway raised the dead , cured the sick , fed the Hungry , walked on water , and led the Broncos to back 2 back SB wins...........

Taco John
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM

I think Elway could, at the very least, hold Xanders jock. Not sure if that works both ways though.

Man-Goblin
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Michael-Jordan-R.jpg

RaiderH8r
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Elway or not, your sentiment is right on the money.

McKid needs to be taken out of a personnel role. Advise, sure but at the end of the day the decision is out of his hands and he does not get to put out feelers or have any discussions on matters related to the acquisition and retention of players. We need a GM with authority and accountability.

RaiderH8r
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I think RaiderH8r could, at the very least, hold Xanders jock. Not sure if that works both ways though.

FYP.

521 1N5
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Guess what? He's not.

Kaylore
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM

In Broncos Fans' minds he is qualified to be everything and anything - and would be "the best ever" if he did it. Personally I don't think he could be a scout, let alone a GM. And I think he'd agree with me.

HEAV
04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.basketball.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/kevin-mchale.jpg

gyldenlove
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
You know Taco, I always wonder why the hell Pat Bowlen hired a coach FIRST and then a GM second. Doesn't make sense...unless you plan to give the HC all the power now.

My feeling is that Bowlen wanted to have the older Goodman be the de facto GM and keep the younger Goodman and Xanders as assitant GMs who would report directly to Bowlen on their areas of responsibility.

When Mcdaniels came in and they realized that dividing up the GM responsibility between 3 people and a rookie HC would be too muddled with too many overlapping responsibilities and job descriptions Bowlen had to promote someone to full GM with the full responsibility. The older Goodman said no thank you, so it was down to Xanders and the younger Goodman and Xanders won. What I really don't understand is why we didn't bring in a player evaluating assistant GM to help Xanders out.

As things stand now we will have 2 people with no player evaluation experience and no draft experience between them manage 6 day 1 picks over the next years. This could get very ugly, considering how they handled the opening day trade rumors, I really hope we avoid pulling a Minnesota and forget to draft.

WABronco
04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh but he's just got so much charisma, his aura itself would lead Denver the right way.

HEAV
04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-02/45042543.jpg

RaiderH8r
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
My feeling is that Bowlen wanted to have the older Goodman be the de facto GM and keep the younger Goodman and Xanders as assitant GMs who would report directly to Bowlen on their areas of responsibility.

When Mcdaniels came in and they realized that dividing up the GM responsibility between 3 people and a rookie HC would be too muddled with too many overlapping responsibilities and job descriptions Bowlen had to promote someone to full GM with the full responsibility. The older Goodman said no thank you, so it was down to Xanders and the younger Goodman and Xanders won. What I really don't understand is why we didn't bring in a player evaluating assistant GM to help Xanders out.

As things stand now we will have 2 people with no player evaluation experience and no draft experience between them manage 6 day 1 picks over the next years. This could get very ugly, considering how they handled the opening day trade rumors, I really hope we avoid pulling a Minnesota and forget to draft.

It's not McD's job to like the GM structure it's his job to coach. McD power played Bowlen into this scenario where he's got a neutered GM in Xanders at his beck and call and Bowlen can go back to the bottom of his scotch bottle safe in the knowledge that he has people in place to deal with things. He'll come back out again if revenues begin to fall off.

Drek
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM

If he was the real GM with real power I'm pretty sure he would've gravitated towards wanting to hire McDaniels himself as he would've been picturing how much better Jay could become under McDaniels' tutelage.

That would've resulted in Bates leaving, and Cutler throwing the hissy fit he's thrown already. Only difference would be the hate towards Cutler would be amplified, since instead of just calling McDaniels, Xanders, and Bowlen liars he would've lumped Elway in there as well.

Elway has said himself multiple times that he has no relationship with Cutler and doesn't know him personally whatsoever. What makes you think Elway being part of the FO would've somehow scared Cutler off he and Cook's plan to bitch his way out of town?

HEAV
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/wayne-gretzky/pictures/wayne-gretzky-picture-3.jpg

HEAV
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.verihoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/2008_01_isiahwinner.jpg

24champ
04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
My favorite GM of all time....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Jerry_West.jpg

atomicbloke
04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
I think Elway could, at the very least, hold Xanders jock. Not sure if that works both ways though.

So Elway is a wizard at accounting? I must have missed it......

Mountain Bronco
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Give it a rest.

Taco John
04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
So Elway is a wizard at accounting? I must have missed it......

Absolutely. Elway can count money with the best of them.

Elway's always been a business man, as well as a professional athelete. I think he'd be one of the rare sports personalities who could pull it off. I'm disappointed that som many here doubt it.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Carl Peterson is looking for a new gig!