PDA

View Full Version : New First rounder, whats the plan?

ludo21
04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Here is mine:

12 - Jenkins/Jackson/Wells
18 - Matthews/Cushing/ Peria Jerry

or

Trade 12/48 to the Seattle for #5
- Select BJ Raji (pending his stock doesnt fall for smoking)
18 - Same as above minus Jerry, but add Beanie Wells

I dont care which of these guys we select, but I think these would be solid choices.

What is everyone thinking now with this pick?

(we got a 3rd too, is that right?)

montrose
04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
They could move up for Sanchez, but I think they stay put and take the two best defensive players on the board.

bap454
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
No way we trade up to get Raji. If we move up it better be be Sanchez or Curry. Thats it.

Rohirrim
04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
My first try at playing around with the first three rounds:
12. Tyson Jackson, DE
18. Clay Matthews, LB
48. Patrick Chung, S
79. Sherrod Martin, CB
84. Jasper Brinkley, ILB

chaz
04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
My choices would be:

12-Tyson Jackson/Malcolm Jenkins
18-Rey Maualuga (cringe...I like the Ray Lewis potential)/Alex Mack/Beanie Wells
48-Ron Brace/Connor Barwin/Donald Brown (if no beanie)
79-Jasper Brinkley/Coye Francis
84-Sammie Lee Hill/David Bruton

ludo21
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I wonder if we can move back with our #18 and select Barwin in the early 2nd?

he wont last til our 48 pick.

anton
04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Considering how important NT is in a 34, if Raji is gone, I think the Broncos have to either try to try up (or down) into the 30-40 range and take Brace or just take Brace at 18. He will not be there at 48.

s0phr0syne
04-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Considering how important NT is in a 34, if Raji is gone, I think the Broncos have to either try to try up (or down) into the 30-40 range and take Brace or just take Brace at 18. He will not be there at 48.

Agree. If we don't get Raji, I really think we need Brace, and we now have the picks to make it realistic.

Chaz, I honestly think none of the three options you listed will be available at #48, although I like all of them.

I hope the Raji news from today drops him to 12 somehow. What do we do if Raji and Sanchez are still there at 12? (unlikely, I know...but still)

ayjackson
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Barwin will go in the first round. He's the best 3-4 OLB in the draft.

ohiobronco2
04-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Dream Picks

12. Raji
18. Wells
48. Gilbert
79. R Johnson
84. P White

SpringStein
04-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't understand the panic to select a player like Brace who is a 3rd rounder at best.

ohiobronco2
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't understand the panic to select a player like Brace who is a 3rd rounder at best.

Yeah. I hope we don't overreact. If not him, we can get Sammie Lee Hill or that DT from Hampton I believe. Surely there is somebody fat enough to man the middle.

Gcver2ver3
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
12. Everrett Brown OLB/DE
18. Peria Jerry DT
48. L. McCoy RB
79. Sherrod Martin CB/S
84. Doreel Scott DT

Denver724
04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Trade out of 18 for someone who wants QB Freeman (in front of Tampa). Move down to the 2nd round and pick up another first round pick next year OR maybe trade with Detroit (if they don't pick a QB #1) and move back to #20.

UboBronco
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Barwin is the one player in this draft I want us to get. I think he will be a true stud on defense, and can be the back up tightend on the goal line, like Mike Vrabel, be a two way player. He is a true football player, and we need several of those, with heart and talent.

Mediator12
04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah. I hope we don't overreact. If not him, we can get Sammie Lee Hill or that DT from Hampton I believe. Surely there is somebody fat enough to man the middle.

Chris Baker is the former Penn St. DT that played at Hampton last year and came out early. I want no part of him, he is a major headcase.

The guy no one around here is talking about is Dorrell Scott from Clemson. He is a true one or two gap DT that has some real skill to play NT in the 3-4.
Should be valued around a mid third rounder, but his skills are first round when he is not injured like last year.

gyldenlove
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
1a. Malcolm Jenkins, Everette Brown, BJ Raji
1b. Knowshon Moreno, Clay Matthews

chaz
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM

in your opinion....but not in the opinion of the majority of the football community

Hercules Rockefeller
04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
ILB
RB
DT
DE or OLB

These with any of the first 4 picks, and then a QB with one of the 3rds.

lex
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Wells, Matthews, Gilbert, Wood, Brown, Taylor, Hill, Reilly, Joseph, Walker

or, alternatively

Wells, Mack, Gilbert, Byrd, Brown, Taylor, Hill, Reilly, Joseph, Walker

BowlenBall
04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
In a perfect world:

12-DT BJ Raji (odds are now better than 50/50 that he'll be here - perfect fit)
18-QB Josh Freeman (Orton is caretaker QB for two years...)
48-ILB James Laurinitis (this year's Dan Connor slides to 2nd round)
79-CB Jarius Byrd (probably won't be here, but this guy is gonna be a player)
84-C Jonathon Luigs (excellent draft for centers, with Mack, Unger, Wood, and Caldwell also being possible, depending on who slips)

ayjackson
04-03-2009, 07:17 AM
in your opinion....but not in the opinion of the majority of the football community

I don't have an opinion. I'm not a talent evaluator. I leverage off the opinions of those I come to trust as talent evaluators for Patriot-type players. And like it or not, that's what we'll be drafting.

Drek
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Come on. Best in the draft? At a position he's never even played?

Hell, he's spent more time as a TE than as a DE in college. He's a big project, and while he's impressive athletically that doesn't really set him apart from Matthews, Cushing, Orakpo, Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Clint Sintim, and a host of other LBs and DEs who have a ton more experience on the defensive side of the ball, developing the skills needed for the 3-4 OLB job.

If Barwin costs a first round pick then some team's fans will be disappointed for the two or three years its going to take him to get fully up to speed, and we'll get a massive steal for a 3-4 OLB at #48.

My guess as to our first five picks:
1A - Beanie Wells
1B - Malcolm Jenkins
2 - Clint Sintim
3A - Dorrell Scott
3B - Phil Loadholt

PRBronco
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
You know what? The more I look at it, the more I think we should trade down from 18. IMO the first round this year sucks. At 12 we have a legit shot at Maybin, Brown, Jenkins, or Tyson Jackson, all of which are good picks. But then at 18 you're looking at like Moreno, who isn't bad, but we have bigger needs, or one of USC trio or Laurinitis, none of whom I'm very enamoured with. There's no safeties or DTs worth taking there, a move back to the early second would be nice, you could take Rashad Johnson, or maybe Ron Brace. Or one of the linebackers would be good value here.

ayjackson
04-04-2009, 08:42 AM

Nobody in college plays OLB in the 3-4 we're going to play. They all have to learn it. Which is why Belichick has never drafted one on the first day of the draft - it's a risky proposition. But there are those like Ware and Woodley and *spit* Merriman who are worth the pick. Ware was a second round projection going into the combine just like Barwin. They both put up amazing numbers in Indy for an OLB prospect.

Barwin had a great year at OLB. The fact that it was his first at the position, speaks to his incredible talent.

I think he's going to be the next OLB stud in the league. And we have no one at that position. I saw yesterday that Wes Bunting agrees that he's the best 3-4 OLB prospect as well. (Curry aside, of course)

Rohirrim
04-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Hell, he's spent more time as a TE than as a DE in college. He's a big project, and while he's impressive athletically that doesn't really set him apart from Matthews, Cushing, Orakpo, Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin, Clint Sintim, and a host of other LBs and DEs who have a ton more experience on the defensive side of the ball, developing the skills needed for the 3-4 OLB job.

If Barwin costs a first round pick then some team's fans will be disappointed for the two or three years its going to take him to get fully up to speed, and we'll get a massive steal for a 3-4 OLB at #48.

My guess as to our first five picks:
1A - Beanie Wells
1B - Malcolm Jenkins
2 - Clint Sintim
3A - Dorrell Scott
3B - Phil Loadholt

Wells is not a #12 pick. I would take Moreno over Wells any day of the week. Moreno is a better receiver, has no injury history and played in the SEC. Wells is a RB from the Big Ten with an injury history. That, to me, sets off alarms. Maybe with the 18 pick, and that's a big maybe, but never with the 12 pick.