PDA

View Full Version : End of Cutler saga in sight

HEAV
03-30-2009, 01:14 PM
What a difference a week makes.

Before the owners' meeting, it appeared Broncos QB Jay Cutler was destined to be traded. However, from the sounds of first-year coach Josh McDaniels at the owners' meeting, the Broncos have refocused, and now it appears McDaniels will try to fix his tattered relationship with Cutler.

To make a trade, the Broncos would have to receive a huge bounty along with a starting quarterback in return. That was going to be difficult. Once Cutler shows up at Broncos headquarters -- I predict that will happen in the next two weeks -- the Cutler trade saga should end.

Cutler wasn't the only hot topic at the owners' meeting. Judging by the questions in my mailbag, football fans seem to be a little skeptical about going to an 18-game schedule. Some fear the drain of injuries. Others think 18 games are a little much.

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4026794

Mogulseeker
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
18 games seasons would be AWESOME

BroncoBuff
03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
18 games seasons would be AWESOME

And no more of those pansy "Bye Weeks" ....

broncofan2438
03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
There is light at the end of the tunnel

Gcver2ver3
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
i hate the idea of 17 or 18 games...

but it looks inevitable...

BroncoMan4ever
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
And no more of those pansy "Bye Weeks" ....

if we do go to an 18 game season, i would like to see the bye weeks changed. and istead of having teams getting a bye as soon as week 3 and as late as week 14 just have it be a 2 week period in the middle of the season where half the league takes a week off, and the next week the other half of the league.

i just think it is too much to ask of a team to get a bye week in week 3 and then have to go as many as 15 more regular season games without a break and then the playoffs, it is possible a team could go 18 straight games with no break in schedule.

so to prevent that make a 2 week period on the middle of the season

Punisher
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Its a 20 game season! Fans need to watch Pre Season to see what young talent your team has.Plus a 18 game season will be meaningless because around week 12 you know what teams are going to the playoffs anyways.

Dagmar
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
http://a3.vox.com/6a00e398a4ab6e00020110180627cb860f-500pi

BroncoMan4ever
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Its a 20 game season! Fans need to watch Pre Season to see what young talent your team has.Plus a 18 game season will be meaningless because around week 12 you know what teams are going to the playoffs anyways.

i agree. teams will be ensuring 1st round byes by the 14th game and will still have 4 regular season games to go. just seems like too much for the regular season

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1229/bowleninformationminist.jpg

NFLBRONCO
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
How often is John right?

Of course this time I hope he is :)

MagicHef
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM

I don't think so. A 10 or 11 win season would no longer have the likelihood of going to the playoffs that it does now. Unless you think that a lot of teams would go through the first 12 or 13 weeks undefeated, the later games would still be very meaningful.

SureShot
03-30-2009, 01:52 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1229/bowleninformationminist.jpg

Now thats funny.

I told you all Cutler wasn't going anywhere long ago.

eddie mac
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Yeah like we knew at the end of week 14 that we were going.:D

BroncoInferno
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't like the 18 game seasons. It will further dilute records...season and career. You'll have middle of the road guys surpassing all-time greats in the record books simply due to the accumulation of two extra games per season.

Punisher
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah like we knew at the end of week 14 that we were going.:D

Very very painful to watch My,Our team go on a 3 game skid then get blown out by a long hated rival.Thankfully the holes on my walls don't bleed or feel any pain.

NFLBRONCO
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't like it for these reasons

1. More money to Sunday Ticket
2. What if you lock up division week 14 you coast 4 or 5 weeks til playoffs.

3. Crappier playoffs if guys are hurt playing two more games.

What about this idea though?

4. If they go to 18 games I think they should either lump all afc teams in one group top six make playoffs or into 2 divisions that will force more teams to play harder and not coast being in crappy division. Play each afc team once and 3 nfc teams at random. This way each team has to play every team and swap home and road every other year like college.

no-pseudo-fan
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
a 17 game season would be good. each team could play one game at a neutral site(London, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Boise). Then again, why fix what's not broken.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Yeah, but the Ticket goes up regardless

:(

no-pseudo-fan
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM

2. What if you lock up division week 14 you coast 4 or 5 weeks til playoffs.

3. Crappier playoffs if guys are hurt playing two more games.

4. If they go to 18 games I think they should either lump all afc teams in one group top six make playoffs or into 2 divisions that will force more teams to play harder and not coast being in crappy division.

The schedules can be the same, but one of the 17 games will be a potluck game. The league will annouce the game sometime during the season. Like week 10 will be potluck week. Where ever you are ranked in the division determine who you play. 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 and so on. Then the league will pick from a bag which division is playing which.

baja
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
If they go to an 18 game season they need to up the roster limit to 60 players.

HEAV
03-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Agree. I've felt that the rosters needed expanded for years.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM

get rid of inactive players. Its pointless to have guys in street clothes that can play during the game.

rastaman
03-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't like the 18 game seasons. It will further dilute records...season and career. You'll have middle of the road guys surpassing all-time greats in the record books simply due to the accumulation of two extra games per season.

Rep! I wouldn't mind returning to a 14 game season. Adding an 18 game season really starts the NFL down the road to a Barnum & Baily Circus. Who wants to see a QB throw for 60 TD's before records turn into pure medirocrity.

If I were the players and the union....I'd tell the owners and the fans NO WAY!!

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Before the owners' meeting, it appeared Broncos QB Jay Cutler was destined to be traded. However, from the sounds of first-year coach Josh McDaniels at the owners' meeting, the Broncos have refocused, and now it appears McDaniels will try to fix his tattered relationship with Cutler.

To make a trade, the Broncos would have to receive a huge bounty along with a starting quarterback in return. That was going to be difficult. Once Cutler shows up at Broncos headquarters -- I predict that will happen in the next two weeks -- the Cutler trade saga should end.

Cutler wasn't the only hot topic at the owners' meeting. Judging by the questions in my mailbag, football fans seem to be a little skeptical about going to an 18-game schedule. Some fear the drain of injuries. Others think 18 games are a little much.

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The only real way to have an 18 game season is for the teams to expand their rosters.

If I was the NFLPU, I'd argue for a 58 to 60 man roster to cope with injuries.

rastaman
03-30-2009, 03:13 PM

What does an additional 7 players do? Anyway, the owners will whine about having to pay the additional salaries.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
The only real way to have an 18 game season is for the teams to expand their rosters.

If I was the NFLPU, I'd argue for a 58 to 60 man roster to cope with injuries.

Up that to 65 if you sign Boss Bailey.

baja
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
What does an additional 7 players do? Anyway, the owners will whine about having to pay the additional salaries.

Thought it was obvious, need to rotate players more often to keep them fresher for the longer season

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM

The teams still have the practice squad. So in essence, expanding the team by 7 players is huge. The teams still have the practice squad players to draw from as well.

You can't expand the rosters too much, because owners are gonna freak about paying all these new players. If you look at the average NFL player's contract, it's probably around $500k a year (I'm totally guessing here). Multiply that by 7 and your looking at an additional $3.5m in money towards the salary cap.

Also, if you expand the roster you might as well increase the cap.

eddie mac
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Agree. I've felt that the rosters needed expanded for years.

AFAIK Heav that's been on the table for some time but the owners keep refusing to up the roster limit for the regular season. As per usual it comes down to money.

barryr
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
If they go to an 18 game season, I'm hope expanding the roster so all 53 guys are available in all the games and no more inactive nonsense. Then again, I was for this with a 16 game schedule.

lazarus4444
03-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Affording more players won't be an issue for owners if we go 18 game schedule because thats 2 more games of revenue for them and they are still in profit by a large margin.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Affording more players won't be an issue for owners if we go 18 game schedule because thats 2 more games of revenue for them and they are still in profit by a large margin.

I agree. I think they should expand the roster regardless of expanding the season.

I just don't see how the owner can expand the season and not expand the roster simply because of injuries. I think I know why the owner like to have a practice squad, it's like having some good players and not really paying them anything unless they make the active roster.

I say expand the roster get rid of the practice squad, especially if they go to a 17 or 18 game regular season.

Or, how about just expanding the post season and not the regular season? Expand the Wild Card teams or something like that. This way the season gets expanded, but the teams that suck are watching and the teams that are still playing have a reason to be playing.

BroncoMan4ever
03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
a 17 game season would be good. each team could play one game at a neutral site(London, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Boise). Then again, why fix what's not broken.

what is with this desire among so many to add games in neutral sites around the world?

if an extra game happens i want it local so i can go to another game.

i really don't give a damn what people in London, Canada, China, Mexico think about the NFL, it is an american sport, why keep trying to make it international? the european soccer teams aren't trying to bring soccer to america, why should we try to take football over there

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Expand the post season.

maher_tyler
03-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Pretty soon there gonna want to change the shape of the ball...

DeusExManning
03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
18 games with 2 byes might work

telluride
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Exactly. They need to do that regardless.

BroncoMan4ever
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Expand the post season.

i don't agree with that, because almost every year there is a team or 2 from each division that doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs in its current format, and by adding more to the playoffs, you need to add more teams, and then you have truly undeserving teams that become playoff teams.

maher_tyler
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
what is with this desire among so many to add games in neutral sites around the world?

if an extra game happens i want it local so i can go to another game.

i really don't give a damn what people in London, Canada, China, Mexico think about the NFL, it is an american sport, why keep trying to make it international? the european soccer teams aren't trying to bring soccer to america, why should we try to take football over there

I don't think its so much to have a team over there but to get more people to watch it and possibley having more people buy merchendice/tickets etc. It's all about the Benjamins!!

mhgaffney
03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
With a longer season the injury issue will become much more serious.

Bad idea.

mhgaffney
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
This is all about money and I'm surprised more of you don't see through it.

A longer season will turn out to be a BIG mistake. In addition to the injury problem -- the finesse factor will go out of the game. Bruisers, maulers and bashers will predominate. The game will become less interesting.

Sometimes less is more

and this is one such case.

lex
03-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I think the flip side of that is that Goodell wants to reduce the number of preseason games. Id rather they just send one preseason game overseas instead of charging full price for preseason games or adding extra games.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

You think the end is insight? What in blue blazes are you smoking. What do you think will happen when Cutler throws his first pick, loses his first game, doesn't make the playoffs. What is he going to do when a reporter sticks a mic into his face. Or what about when there is a mic in front of McD's face. you think he'll keep his cool like Shannahan did or is he going to fuc it up like he did these trade talks.

Man-Goblin
03-30-2009, 07:09 PM

If the players are going to agree to more games you're going to have to give them something; and there's only two possibilities:

1. More money, prorated over 1-2 more games.

or 2. Expanded rosters; as many as 60 players. This is the most likely scenario, and you're probably looking at another 3 or so million dollars a year in salaries.

Archer81
03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Its already a 20 game season...

:Broncos:

SportinOne
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
You WILL see a decline in parity in the NFL and it will be completely dependent on how many games they add.

The NFL season is short, the shortest in sports. In baseball and basketball, there are ALWAYS "weaker" teams that start off hot only to fade away during the length of the season. In football, those teams can start hot and by the time they start cooling off and the true cream starts to rise to the top the season is over and that weaker team gets in. There is more chance involved. Adding games only makes it harder for this type of parity to occur.

On the flip side, more games means that a bad start won't absolutely kill your season. It happens every year where a team goes 1-3 or 0-4 out of the gates only to storm back and end up 9-7, just missing the playoffs. Now those teams still have a chance.

I'm mixed on this. Potential for injury, seasonal records will be broken at will the first couple years, 2,000 yard rushers who had no business being there... Then there is the fact that we get more "real" NFL. That's about the only benefit.

~Crash~
03-30-2009, 08:37 PM
just get rid of 2 preseason games and make the cuts of personnel the same that way the last two preseason games count and there would be no need to add players to rosters and make the practice squad bigger .

~Crash~
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Its already a 20 game season...

it is doable

Spider
03-30-2009, 09:02 PM
alot of the same arguments going from a 14 game season to a 16 game season .....

Bronco Yoda
03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I say YES to 18 Games. Hell, Give me 20!!!!!!

Who wouldn't want to see their team play two more meaningful games. Just expand the roster.

baja
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Injuries dictate who wins in this game, if you go to 18 games injuries will determine the winners to an even greater degree.

SoCalBronco
03-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Injuries dictate who wins in this game, if you go to 18 games injuries will determine the winners to an even greater degree.

Very good point.

ZONA
03-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd love to have 18 regular season games. But I hate how the bye weeks are ran. Screw the way it's set up now. Just give ALL the teams a week off middle of the season at the same time. The NBA has an all star week where there are no games and it doesn't hurt them. The NFL can give all the teams a week off middle of season.

ZONA
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM

There's a flip side to everything dude. One team might get another injury in week 17 and another team might get a player back from injury. It's all relative.

baja
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
There's a flip side to everything dude. One team might get another injury in week 17 and another team might get a player back from injury. It's all relative.

The more minutes you play the more minutes you are at risk to injury. Don't complicate it.

SouthStndJunkie
03-30-2009, 11:43 PM
18 weeks is too many.

17 weeks seems just about right.

That said, I am a traditionalist....records were diluted when the NFL went from 14 to 16 games....and records will be further diluted by adding more games to the schedule.

Mogulseeker
03-31-2009, 05:34 AM
Football playing p**sies.

They need to adopt the NHL's 82-game season.

DB Doom
03-31-2009, 06:03 AM
that avatar is great. good job MightySmurf.

Archer81
03-31-2009, 06:45 AM
it is doable

From preseason all the way to the superbowl, a team will play 23 or 24 games, depending. People want to make preseason shorter, so just take two of those games and make them regular season games, IF you have to expand the regular season. Give every team a break in a 2 week period in the middle of the season and play on. The teams that secure the top seeds earn themselves a bye, just like now, through the wildcard round.

Spider
03-31-2009, 09:14 AM
here would be my problem with this .........And the reason why I didnt want to leave a 14 game season , longer seasons = more throw away games , one of the reasons the NFL is so popular is there isnt to many throw away games , each week counts ......... I say we take it back to 14 games a week . but keep the wild card round

HEAV
03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Preseason games are throw away games.

Either eliminate two preseason games or reduced the preseason games by converting two into regular season games.

Spider
03-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Preseason games are throw away games.

Either eliminate two preseason games or reduced the preseason games by converting two into regular season games.

Preseason is necessary evil , a throw a game to someone like you , but a valuable tool for seeing how unprovened players do in a game situation ..........But of the season does get extended , and increase the roster size ....... yeah get rid of a couple of preseason games

BroncoMan4ever
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't think its so much to have a team over there but to get more people to watch it and possibley having more people buy merchendice/tickets etc. It's all about the Benjamins!!

i understand the desire to make it global and make money world wide, but we already had NFL Europe and that didn't make any money, because Europe isn't interested in the NFL. Canada would be the main market for the NFL and they already have the CFL.
if we are going to add another game, give the american fans who have made the game what it is today the opportunity to buy tickets to these games.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
i understand the desire to make it global and make money world wide, but we already had NFL Europe and that didn't make any money, because Europe isn't interested in the NFL. Canada would be the main market for the NFL and they already have the CFL.
if we are going to add another game, give the american fans who have made the game what it is today the opportunity to buy tickets to these games.

Correction: Europe wasn't interested in second-rate players who couldn't make the big teams. They've sold out Wembley two years in a row now. There IS interest. They just want to see REAL teams playing.

colonelbeef
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM

I tend to agree with this line of thought, as much as I would like to see a few more legitimate games per year.

Black96WS6
03-31-2009, 02:24 PM
The only problem is, it really seems like Cutler no longer wants to be here. So if that's the case, there's still the outstanding "What If" scenario.

What if Cutler holds out until he's traded and doesn't attend any meetings, mini-camps, workouts, etc?

And not sure I agree with 18 games. Players will wear out quicker and their careers will be shortened...

broncocalijohn
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM

Plus, preseason is when we have pumped this team up for a minimum 10 to 11 game win the last two season. What better part of the season to fool us than the preseason?

Popps
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
The only problem is, it really seems like Cutler no longer wants to be here. So if that's the case, there's still the outstanding "What If" scenario.

What if Cutler holds out until he's traded and doesn't attend any meetings, mini-camps, workouts, etc?

And not sure I agree with 18 games. Players will wear out quicker and their careers will be shortened...

Dude, did you not hear about the gag order? What if Jay reads this?

Drek
03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
I like the 16 game season because it shows great symmetry within the context of a season.

You have what basically amounts to four equal quarters of the season, just like a single football game does. You have sudden death after that (playoffs with the one and done format, and the OT format the NFL uses). I think you can tell a lot about a team and see some very interesting parallels between how they handle themselves quarter to quarter in a game and quarter to quarter over a season.

Take our Broncos for example. All season long we were a 1st and 3rd quarter team in our games. It was finishing out halves that gave us fits. You look at our seasonal record and you see the same kind of trend. We played our best football in weeks 1-4 and 9-12. 1st and 3rd quarter teams typically lose games and choke away big leads, and we lost our big lead on the division and choked it away. Its a great dynamic where individual games are like microcosms of the season and the season is a macrocosm of individual games.

baja
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I like the 16 game season because it shows great symmetry within the context of a season.

You have what basically amounts to four equal quarters of the season, just like a single football game does. You have sudden death after that (playoffs with the one and done format, and the OT format the NFL uses). I think you can tell a lot about a team and see some very interesting parallels between how they handle themselves quarter to quarter in a game and quarter to quarter over a season.

Take our Broncos for example. All season long we were a 1st and 3rd quarter team in our games. It was finishing out halves that gave us fits. You look at our seasonal record and you see the same kind of trend. We played our best football in weeks 1-4 and 9-12. 1st and 3rd quarter teams typically lose games and choke away big leads, and we lost our big lead on the division and choked it away. Its a great dynamic where individual games are like microcosms of the season and the season is a macrocosm of individual games.

I have thought for years now that the Broncos have conditioning issues.