PDA

View Full Version : Report: McDaniels checked out Quinn

BabyTO
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
3. Yes, the son of famed Ohio high school coach Thom McDaniels could be wrong. Yes, the former John Carroll quarterback could be perhaps overly influenced by Charlie Weis, the former New England offensive coordinator and current Notre Dame coach who insists Quinn will be an impact NFL quarterback. But the fact is when McDaniels was hired by Denver, he had an uneasy feeling about Cutler. First, he tired to trade for Matt Cassel, who went to Denver. Then, he checked out Quinn.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2009/03/terry_plutos_talkin_about_brow_5.html

It's not much but i thought it was interesting. Too bad he's not coming up with more details.

montrose
03-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't be shocked McDaniels analyzed some of Quinn's tape. Judging by his comments about Cutler at the owner's meetings last week, he probably didn't like what he saw.

baja
03-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't be shocked McDaniels analyzed some of Quinn's tape.<b> Judging by his comments about Cutler at the owner's meetings last week, he probably didn't like what he saw.

What are you talking about?

Tombstone RJ
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2009/03/terry_plutos_talkin_about_brow_5.html

It's not much but i thought it was interesting. Too bad he's not coming up with more details.

Look, more crap!

Rabb
sigh

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Look, more crap!

"But the fact is when McDaniels was hired by Denver, he had an uneasy feeling about Cutler"

That's a fact? Interesting. First time I've heard of this "fact," and he was hired by Denver MONTHS ago.

montrose
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
What are you talking about?

I'm thinking that if McDaniels liked what he saw of Quinn, he wouldn't have been sucking up so much to Cutler last week. If the Broncos wanted Quinn, I'm pretty sure they could get him in a 3-way for Cutler. My point is that I think McDaniels broke down Quinn's tape and didn't see Brady or Cassel-like ability to he passed.

WolfpackGuy
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Checked him out?
Like visually undress him?

Rabb
03-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm thinking that if McDaniels liked what he saw of Quinn, he wouldn't have been sucking up so much to Cutler last week. If the Broncos wanted Quinn, I'm pretty sure they could get him in a 3-way for Cutler. My point is that I think McDaniels broke down Quinn's tape and didn't see Brady or Cassel-like ability to he passed.

very valid point for sure

I think that IF (big if right now, I doubt Jay is leaving) he did like what he saw, he is smart enough to keep his trap shut and carry on like normal now and make it surprise draft day buttsechs

that is what has me a little nervous, I think if we see anything or hear anything valid it will be on draft day

baja
03-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Checked him out?
Like visually undress him?

I just assumed he meant they did an anal probe.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
LOL bad thread title.

Man-Goblin
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I just assumed he meant they did an anal probe.

And afterward, he said, "now you're done".

Los Broncos
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Did he check his crotch?

eddie mac
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
And this **** was worth another thread???

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Did he check his crotch?

while wearing a pink polo.

BabyTO
03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
"But the fact is when McDaniels was hired by Denver, he had an uneasy feeling about Cutler"

That's a fact? Interesting. First time I've heard of this "fact," and he was hired by Denver MONTHS ago.
He tried to trade Cutler. Why would you trade a guy you believe in 110%? It's obvious that he felt like we would be more successful with Cassel behind center. And there were some other reports out there ("Cutler scared the crap out of McDaniels").

eddie mac
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
He tried to trade Cutler. Why would you trade a guy you believe in 110%? It's obvious that he felt like we would be more successful with Cassel behind center. And there were some other reports out there ("Cutler scared the crap out of McDaniels").

Where's the proof of that???

Patriots stated quite clearly they never received an offer other than the KC one.

So who did McDaniels try to trade Cutler to???

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Dear lord, give me strength to deal with morons like BabyTO. Thank you, lord.

He didn't "try to trade" Cutler. He was contacted. He didn't trade Cutler. Belichick, not exactly a paragon of defending people who have defected from his organization, has backed up this side of things COMPLETELY by saying that he personally contacted all the teams he thought might be interested, all of whom said they "were not interested in the player." How that's "tried to trade Cutler," I mean, you've got some logical disconnect there, sonny.

You're citing "reports" from anonymous, nameless, faceless people, who "report" this information to "reporters" who use "L O L" in their writing.

DrFate, do you STILL think that people are smart enough to decide for themselves what is and isn't legit? BabyTO is proof positive that they aren't.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Dear lord, give me strength to deal with morons like BabyTO. Thank you, lord.

He didn't "try to trade" Cutler. He was contacted. He didn't trade Cutler. Belichick, not exactly a paragon of defending people who have defected from his organization, has backed up this side of things COMPLETELY by saying that he personally contacted all the teams he thought might be interested, all of whom said they "were not interested in the player." How that's "tried to trade Cutler," I mean, you've got some logical disconnect there, sonny.

You're citing "reports" from anonymous, nameless, faceless people, who "report" this information to "reporters" who use "L O L" in their writing.

DrFate, do you STILL think that people are smart enough to decide for themselves what is and isn't legit? BabyTO is proof positive that they aren't.

But he is a liar and a cheet right? Yep thats the person I want when I'm trying to prove my case. :thumbs:

Paladin
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
You should remember that the whole "trade" of Cutler for Quinn and whomever was a spoof, don't you?

Dumb thread.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
But he is a liar and a cheet right? Yep thats the person I want when I'm trying to prove my case. :thumbs:

And he would gain a lot more by letting McDaniels twist in the wind. Furthermore, he wasn't asked about the McDaniels situation. He was asked about the trade of Cassel, and said, without question, that the only time he heard anything about a multi-team trade for Cassel-to-Denver was WELL AFTER Cassel was already a Chief.

But whatever you need to believe to help you sleep at night.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 11:15 AM
And he would gain a lot more by letting McDaniels twist in the wind. Furthermore, he wasn't asked about the McDaniels situation. He was asked about the trade of Cassel, and said, without question, that the only time he heard anything about a multi-team trade for Cassel-to-Denver was WELL AFTER Cassel was already a Chief.

But whatever you need to believe to help you sleep at night.

Who do you think leaked the story in the first place? It must have been Denver right cause lord knows no one can school our coach.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Who do you think leaked the story in the first place? It must have been Denver right cause lord knows no one can school our coach.

Oh, so you know who leaked the story? You know for a fact who did it? Or are you just full of ****?

Thought so. Thanks.

Los Broncos
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
while wearing a pink polo.

I thought our coach didn't like snakes?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Also, what does that have to do with this situation? BB is also an asshole, that's well documented. Could he have leaked the story? Sure he could have. Bus Cook could have leaked the story. Your mom could have leaked the story. See, that's why they call it a "leak." You don't know where it came from, just know that it's there.

HEAV
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Just filler for the Dawg-pounders to read durning a cold March day.

Broncosfreak_56
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7118/mcdaniels.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mcdaniels.jpg)

Anaximines
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm sure he looked at Quinn!!! you've got a disgruntled quarterback, he'd be an idiot not to look at tape of other guys he could get if things with Jay don't work out. That's just being prepared. And anyway IMO Quinn is perhaps the only option that I would reluctantly be ok with if that did happen.

barryr
03-30-2009, 11:58 AM
How does anyone really know what McDaniels has done? He's not the type to go around telling members in the media things like that. Looks like more made up BS.

SureShot
03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

HILife
03-30-2009, 12:22 PM

But the fact is when McDaniels was hired by Denver, he had an uneasy feeling about Cutler. First, he tired to trade for Matt Cassel, who went to Denver. Then, he checked out Quinn.

??

loborugger
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I like checking out Brady Quinn, too. He's so dreamy...

:crazy:

http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/brady_quinn_mh0003.jpg

Atlas
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Damn, I'd rather have Chris Simms than Brady Quinn. Where is Brian Griese at? He would be better than both of them.

TheDave
03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
If McDaniels system can't work with Cutler then the system is **** to begin with...

oubronco
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
If we end up with Quinn instead of Cutler we will be in for a top five pick for sure

tsiguy96
03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
If McDaniels system can't work with Cutler then the system is **** to begin with...

you really called the person who directed teh best NFL offense in HISTORY having a **** system?

really?

its not cutlers physical abilities anyone ever questions. its him being a pussy.

TheDave
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
If we end up with Quinn instead of Cutler we will be in for a top five pick for sure

I'm starting to think that might be on the way regardless...

With the exception of the Dawkins picks I sure haven't been blown over by the FA period and that was before this Cutler fiasco took shape... Barring a few major hits in the draft this could be a brutal season coming up.

oubronco
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
the schedule is pretty brutal as well

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7118/mcdaniels.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mcdaniels.jpg)

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7118/mcdaniels.jpg

ROFL!

crush17
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/1574576278_842b8978b1.jpg?v=0

TheDave
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
you really called the person who directed teh best NFL offense in HISTORY having a **** system?

really?

its not cutlers physical abilities anyone ever questions. its him being a p***Y.

Try this one more time... IF his system can't work with cutler THEN his system is ****...

SportinOne
03-30-2009, 01:15 PM

I really don't want to get into this, Moose, but there have been several reports that stated that McDaniels was unsure of Cutler, ie: the drinking thing.

I just don't care, he's got to come back now and it's time to start working on taking this division back.

The Joker
03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Try this one more time... IF his system can't work with cutler THEN his system is ****...

Still not a very smart comment.

Cutler may not be compatible with "the system". Happens all the time. From what I've seen of the Pats the last few years, it's not the ideal fit for Jay. Still anything but a **** system. Just too rigid, and therefore a flawed system in some respects.

Personally I believe that if McDaniels is all he's cracked up to be then he should be able to modify his system to better suit Jay's strengths and weaknesses. Great coaches can do that.

I guess we'll see, but if he did indeed seriously consider trading Jay for Cassel then it doesn't bode well for him IMO.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM

Typically you have two choices. You have to either let people decide for themselves - rightly or wrongly, and they bear the burden of their decisions.

Or you have someone decide for them. You establish have some kind of 'class' of individual that, based on some arbitrarily chosen standard, is deemed 'more qualified'.

I haven't read BabyTO's posts, so I can't say whether he's a fruit loop or not. :)

And I guess I should apologize for bringing pseudo-political thinking into these discussions. But I firmly believe people have the right to choose and to believe for themselves. We have a growing sentiment in this world that somebody who is 'smarter' than we are should decide what kind of car we drive, what we should eat, where our money is spent. And I vehemently disagree with that concept. Which is why we had the conversation re: the CBS4 'decision' to not talk about the Cutler issue. The news people should report what THEY deem as report-worthy and NOT what the Broncos PR department deems report-worthy.

Based on the reports and the public quotes, I DO believe that McDaniels initiated trade talks, that he preferred having Cassel over Cutler. I honestly believe that. I don't believe he simply 'answered the phone'. I think he PREFERRED Cassel over Cutler. I'm not going to stake my life on it, I'm not even going to put $5 on it. It is a conclusion I have drawn based on the limited evidence available. I don't know for sure and I have never claimed to know.

You get into a very deep hole very quickly when you decide that others aren't 'smart enough' or 'capable enough' to decide for themselves, simply because your conclusions are different from theirs. Given the choice, I'd rather make my own decision (and be wrong) than have someone simply provide me my choice and I have no say in the matter.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I really don't want to get into this, Moose, but there have been several reports that stated that McDaniels was unsure of Cutler, ie: the drinking thing.

I just don't care, he's got to come back now and it's time to start working on taking this division back.

It's cool, Champ. I don't want to get into it either. I want Cutler back. I want him leading this team.

But that report you're referring to was ONE report, not several, and it was from a very, very questionable source/reporter combo that I wouldn't trust to break news about anything, let alone my favorite football team.

SouthStndJunkie
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7118/mcdaniels.jpg

ROFL!

bwahaha....awesome.

MileHighMagic
03-30-2009, 01:33 PM
I actually think Quinn is pretty damn good. If he can stay healthy, I am betting that he will have a successful career.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
It's cool, But that report you're referring to was ONE report, not several, and it was from a very, very questionable source/reporter combo that I wouldn't trust to break news about anything, let alone my favorite football team.

Was it just a single source, MooseGuy? I hear it mentioned so often, I wasn't sure if it was a single report or multiple.

BroncoBuff
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
He didn't "try to trade" Cutler.

You and Popps still singin' this number, eh Moose?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt, son.

Belichick, not exactly a paragon of defending people who have defected from his organization, has backed up this side of things COMPLETELY.

Well that's all you had to say! BILL BELICHICK says it didn't happen?

Alright then, nothing to see here folks, move along ...

;D

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

really?

its not cutlers physical abilities anyone ever questions. its him being a p***Y.

Till he can do that as a HC then he is nothing but a good OC in the NFL. There have been a number of good OCs that haven't made for very good HC in the NFL, or do you forget about guys like Norv Turner and Mike Martz?

SouthStndJunkie
Now I'm Done.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qjVMAxdbDj8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qjVMAxdbDj8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
You and Popps still singin' this number, eh Moose?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt, son.

Well that's all you had to say! BILL BELICHICK says it didn't happen?

Alright then, nothing to see here folks, move along ...

;D

And where's all that proof that you have that McDaniels was making calls about moving Cutler? Do you have an anonymous source close to the situation that you can contact? Hurry, hurry! We can't wait for more bull**** Cutler news!

TheDave
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Still not a very smart comment.

Cutler may not be compatible with "the system". Happens all the time. From what I've seen of the Pats the last few years, it's not the ideal fit for Jay. Still anything but a **** system. Just too rigid, and therefore a flawed system in some respects.

Personally I believe that if McDaniels is all he's cracked up to be then he should be able to modify his system to better suit Jay's strengths and weaknesses. Great coaches can do that.

I guess we'll see, but if he did indeed seriously consider trading Jay for Cassel then it doesn't bode well for him IMO.

Then he shouldn't of taken the ****ing job and told the owner all the great things he could do with the current talent.

I will gaurantee you that during his interview process he told Bowlen and Xanders just what he could do with Guys like Marshall, Royal, Cutler, etc. Now if after he got to dove valley he suddenely decided that it was impossible to make his system work with Cutler, then he is either a pathetic coach or his system is crap.

Take your pick...

DrFate
03-30-2009, 01:52 PM
And where's all that proof that you have that McDaniels was making calls about moving Cutler? Do you have an anonymous source close to the situation that you can contact? Hurry, hurry! We can't wait for more bull**** Cutler news!

You seem pretty reasonable when talking to me, so I'll ask:

Why do you feel so very certain that McDaniels didn't want to trade Cutler? A lot of people conclude from the 'facts' that he pushed the issue, many don't. I'm curious as to your thinking.

BroncoBuff
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah Mooseguy, EVERYBODY is bull***ing, but you and Popps know the real story. Is that it?

I don't personally know what hapened and neither do you. But as I pointed out before, everybody is speaking and reporting this as fact, that McD did try to trade for Cassel. EVERYBODY ... including this guy, Mike Klis and Woody at the Post, the dearly departed RMN guys, all the guys on ESPN and the guys in Boston, Tampa, Minnesota and Detroit are speaking of it as fact. Somebody in Minnesota even said the Vikings people "nixed" a trade for Cutler.

AT WHAT POINT do all these reports of trade talks convince you doubters? Jay has stated on the reord he "knows for a fact" that he was shopped, and all these reports say the same thing. Why are you guys SO EAGER to believe this newcomer - this kid-coordinator who's never been in charge at any level?

BroncoBuff
03-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Why do you feel so very certain that McDaniels didn't want to trade Cutler? A lot of people conclude from the 'facts' that he pushed the issue, many don't. I'm curious as to your thinking.

My question exactly. Too many people (including Jay) say he was/is shopped, so why don't you believe them? Why so eager to side with the minority and this newcomer Josh?

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Its pretty clear because "we" (the people that think there was more then just talk) wasn't invited to the meetings and can't give proof on just what went down. Because "we" can't prove what happened one way or another have to be wrong because again we have no proof. Either side doesn't know what happened but "we" have to just believe our QB is a baby and it is all his dirty agents fault trying to lower Jay Cutler's rep in the NFL which only makes perfect sense because the lower Jay's value is the less teams would be willing to either trade for Jay and give him a large fat NFL contract. You know agents and there dirty little games to make less money for themselves. Those crazy little agents.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Because you don't endear yourself to a city and fanbase by trading the team's most recognizable face for an unknown quantity. I don't think McDaniels is stupid, and to do something like that would be the height of stupidity. He seems sincere in every interview. And yeah, probably a big part of me wants him to be successful; I think in order to be successful, he needs Cutler here. I'm rooting for Cutler to be here, and have since day number one.

I can't imagine him weighing this Cutler offer seriously while working on six FAs on the first day of free agency. I can't imagine Belichick trading Cassel for a second if he could have gotten a first. Say what you want about BB, the guy knows how to win, and he knows that trading a player for a second when you could get a first if you wait 24 hours is ridiculous. He also said that he was personally in contact with people that might have been interested in Cassel 24-48 hours prior to the trade, and that nobody really wanted him, so he did the deal with KC. Which is why the "McDaniels really wanted Cassel and was working on this deal for weeks prior to FA" argument falls flat. Everyone points to Cutler meeting with McDaniels as proof that Cutler wants to be here; doesn't McDaniels working with Cutler show that he wanted Cutler to be his guy? Otherwise, why waste his time?

BB also states very clearly that the only time he heard anything about the multi-team deals (that Denver was allegedly a part of), Cassel had already been sent to the Chiefs. That says to me that while there was talk, it wasn't even remotely serious, nor was it far enough along to justify the kind of coverage it has gotten.

I don't buy for a second that BB would do this to hook up Pioli; Pioli doesn't work for the Patriots anymore. If it doesn't benefit his team, he's not going to do it. Period.

Finally, I think McDaniels learned everything he knows about coaching from BB. BB made a HUGE mistake in Cleveland by cutting Bernie Kosar; it was a mistake that eventually cost him the gig. If you don't think that McDaniels knows that and knows better than to make the same mistake, you're crazy.

All of this, all of these things I'm talking about, come from people who have names, who aren't "anonymous sources" or "sources close to the situation." I've always believed that if a source isn't willing to have his name used in a story, as a reporter, you've GOT to corroborate with another source before you report. And if you can't get corroboration, and the story is hot hot hot as this one was/is, it ABSOLUTELY MUST be labeled as a rumor and nothing more, not as fact. This is journalism 101 here. And at its worst, this story became tabloid garbage. That's when I started tuning out.

And to bring it full circle, this is why I applaud CBS4's decision to not cover this any further until something actually happens. No more "this might happen, that might happen, so and so's dad's mailman heard that Cleveland was interested!"

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah Mooseguy, EVERYBODY is bull***ing, but you and Popps know the real story. Is that it?

I don't personally know what hapened and neither do you. But as I pointed out before, everybody is speaking and reporting this as fact, that McD did try to trade for Cassel. EVERYBODY ... including this guy, Mike Klis and Woody at the Post, the dearly departed RMN guys, all the guys on ESPN and the guys in Boston, Tampa, Minnesota and Detroit are speaking of it as fact. Somebody in Minnesota even said the Vikings people "nixed" a trade for Cutler.

AT WHAT POINT do all these reports of trade talks convince you doubters? Jay has stated on the reord he "knows for a fact" that he was shopped, and all these reports say the same thing. Why are you guys SO EAGER to believe this newcomer - this kid-coordinator who's never been in charge at any level?

PUT A ****ING NAME ON IT. ON ANY OF IT! Start there! Get a name from one of these "sources" that are suddenly more reliable than everyone in the Denver front office! It's that simple!

This whole thing needed to be labeled as "rumor" from the get go based on the fact that every source was "anonymous." It wasn't. And now there's a mess.

I bet 95% of this was avoidable with a couple things. First, if it's reported as a rumor instead of fact when it comes from unnamed sources, that helps. If McDaniels' first comment on the matter wasn't "no comment," that helps (this, by the way, was McD's biggest blunder of the whole situation IMO). Then, if the story isn't perpetuated by more "anonymous sources," I bet Cutler is in town right now working out with his teammates.

Believe differently. Go for it. I have higher standards for where news comes from than most, I guess. That's not a dig on you, it's just how I am. I like my reporters to be on the level, and to be getting information from people who have names.

Crazy, I know.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL I bet if someone asked BB if he could recall video taping other teams he wouldn't recall that either.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL I bet if someone asked BB if he could recall video taping other teams he wouldn't recall that either.

/yawn

ZONA
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
The spotted hyena has a very big clitoris, named pseudopenis. It is by far the largest clitoris in the animal kingdom.

BroncoBuff
03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
PUT A ****ING NAME ON IT. ON ANY OF IT! Start there! Get a name from one of these "sources" that are suddenly more reliable than everyone in the Denver front office! It's that simple!

NFL execs and GMs almost never go on the record abot trade talks, it just doesn't happen. The way the public finds out about trades that didn't happen is from reporters who source their info - almost always off the record - from sources including players, agents, coaches and execs.

Asking for "proof" of e negative, a non-trade, son't get you much. But the reporting of this - that a trade was attempted - is almost universal now. It's not a sin Josh tried to trade him, eveyone understands his relationship with Cassel.

The open question now is whether he lied to Jay about it, and whethere there's more fire there, as reported in this thread and by the Minnesota guys last week.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
/yawn

Sorry I'm not the one pimping one of the most disliked HCs comments as proof that we didn't do more then just listen to offers. The NFL fined BB and his Pats the highest fine and the highest pick taken away from a team for CHEATING. But hey I don't think BB would ever do anything to screw over a former OC or another team ever I mean he is so nice and all.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
NFL execs and GMs almost never go on the record abot trade talks, it just doesn't happen. The way the public finds out about trades that didn't happen is from reporters who source their info - almost always off the record - from sources including players, agents, coaches and execs.

Asking for "proof" of e negative, a non-trade, son't get you much. But the reporting of this - that a trade was attempted - is almost universal now. It's not a sin Josh tried to trade him, eveyone understands his relationship with Cassel.

The open question now is whether he lied to Jay about it, and whethere there's more fire there, as reported in this thread and by the Minnesota guys last week.

Do you really think that the "source close to the situation" with Cutler, regarding the post-face-to-face meeting was an NFL front office person?

How simple would it be for someone like Mortenson, who has made a living off jumping to conclusions, to hear that New England talked to "numerous teams, including Tampa, Detroit, KC, Denver," and jump to "Denver tried to trade Cutler????"? Pretty simple. Given Mort's knack for getting it wrong, would you be surprised? I wouldn't.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Because you don't endear yourself to a city and fanbase by trading the team's most recognizable face for an unknown quantity. I don't think McDaniels is stupid, and to do something like that would be the height of stupidity. He seems sincere in every interview. And yeah, probably a big part of me wants him to be successful; I think in order to be successful, he needs Cutler here. I'm rooting for Cutler to be here, and have since day number one.

I think that's reasonable and I agree with it. But McDaniels has said things like 'we were late to the dance' which leads me to believe he wanted to make a move. I could be reading too much into that statement. I think McDaniels has questions about Cutler (maybe the time they spent together made him question Cutler's head?) Also (and I've posted this in other places) I can't imagine GMs across the league calling the Saints or Bungles to get Brees or Carson Palmer just out of the blue. On a personal level from someone who has never been in a front office, I find that hard to believe (that out of nowhere people call asking about a Cutler trade)

I don't buy for a second that BB would do this to hook up Pioli; Pioli doesn't work for the Patriots anymore. If it doesn't benefit his team, he's not going to do it. Period.

Yeah, I have never understood the thinking of people who feel that Pioli got some kind of special treatment from the Pats and that there will be a quid pro quo later. I don't buy that either.

Finally, I think McDaniels learned everything he knows about coaching from BB. BB made a HUGE mistake in Cleveland by cutting Bernie Kosar; it was a mistake that eventually cost him the gig. If you don't think that McDaniels knows that and knows better than to make the same mistake, you're crazy.

Then my question - why do so many people think that McDaniels didn't do whatever he had to do clean up things from day one? Why have the conference call where he said 'no one is untradeable'? And, as memory serves, there was a lot of silence coming from Dove Valley when the rumors hit the internet the weekend of the combine. That is something I still think about - the entire franchise had a basic 'no comment' when that news hit. And according to Cutler, no one would return his calls.

All of this, all of these things I'm talking about, come from people who have names, who aren't "anonymous sources" or "sources close to the situation." I've always believed that if a source isn't willing to have his name used in a story, as a reporter, you've GOT to corroborate with another source before you report. And if you can't get corroboration, and the story is hot hot hot as this one was/is, it ABSOLUTELY MUST be labeled as a rumor and nothing more, not as fact. This is journalism 101 here. And at its worst, this story became tabloid garbage. That's when I started tuning out.

Can't argue with that. :) There has been some shoddy 'reporting' on this entire affair.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Sorry I'm not the one pimping one of the most disliked HCs comments as proof that we didn't do more then just listen to offers. The NFL fined BB and his Pats the highest fine and the highest pick taken away from a team for CHEATING. But hey I don't think BB would ever do anything to screw over a former OC or another team ever I mean he is so nice and all.

No, you're too busy pimping "anonymous source" quotes and keeping them in your little heart as gospel fact, then talking about an episode from two seasons ago as if it has any bearing on this situation whatsoever.

ZONA
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pRrgVOeyl_Q/Sba4FM1hRGI/AAAAAAAACK8/xDKIYk2bq-0/s320/hyena_graphic2.jpg

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
No, you're too busy pimping "anonymous source" quotes and keeping them in your little heart as gospel fact, then talking about an episode from two seasons ago as if it has any bearing on this situation whatsoever.

No I think that our coach got played. I don't need "anonymous souces" to provide proof that this whole mess blew up in his face. Even if and I mean EVEN if he only took phone calls about a trade I just find it hard to believe that it would be so damn hard to keep a lid on the story. Thats poor on his part.

I just find it hard to believe that all these teams tried making a three team trade after Cassel was already traded to KC. Seems to me that someone would have talked to his agent and they would have know about that already.

Also you agree that BB is a smart guy so why wouldnt he look for more for Cassel? I just don't know why he would trade Cassel then find out others wanted to trade more for him. How and why would two teams make offers for a guy that has already been traded?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Then my question - why do so many people think that McDaniels didn't do whatever he had to do clean up things from day one? Why have the conference call where he said 'no one is untradeable'? And, as memory serves, there was a lot of silence coming from Dove Valley when the rumors hit the internet the weekend of the combine. That is something I still think about - the entire franchise had a basic 'no comment' when that news hit. And according to Cutler, no one would return his calls.

That really is the best question: why didn't McDaniels respond more strongly when the internet reports hit on the first weekend of free agency? All he said was "no comment." Why? Why didn't he say something more substantial.

And honestly, I don't have a good answer. It could be that he thought the whole thing so ridiculous that he thought responding to it -- at all -- would make the situation worse, a bigger deal than it actually was. Or it could be that he was busy on the other line actively trying to deal Cutler. Who knows? Seems a lot more likely that it's the former rather than the latter.

You know, I don't think coaches put a lot of creedence or have a lot of interest in internet reports of trade talks and the like. Do you think McD reads the Mane? Or BC.com, or BroncosUpdate? I don't. Initially, before the story broke across every media outlet, he may have thought that it was some absurd rumor dreamed up by some blogger in some basement in some underwear. Hate to break it to you, but the "sports media is bigger than just the major networks" news has not made its way to the ranks of professional sports.

I think (and this is just my opinion) that he dismissed it as nonsense, that it was a non-story, and that he had literally nothing to say on the matter.

Taco John
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM

You have ZERO understanding of how this stuff works. You put a name on it, and you lose your source for good. People that leak to the media don't want their names associated with that leak. ESPECIALLY those leaks that come out of the front office. Those are the ones that want their names associated with the leaks the LEAST.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
You have ZERO understanding of how this stuff works. You put a name on it, and you lose your source for good. People that leak to the media don't want their names associated with that leak. ESPECIALLY those leaks that come out of the front office. Those are the ones that want their names associated with the leaks the LEAST.

I lost my source when Chad Mustard became a teacher.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks for telling me what I do and don't understand. You're right, I couldn't possibly have the knowledge required to own a Broncos fan website.

:loser:

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for telling me what I do and don't understand. You're right, I couldn't possibly have the knowledge required to own a Broncos fan website.

:loser:

So you have the time, money and energy to give us Broncos fans a website to go to everyday? Well hell boss whats stopping you from making us a new chat room?

vancejohnson82
03-30-2009, 03:35 PM

One of the most disliked HCs???

Please, you people are phucking ridiculous....

vancejohnson82
03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

TJ,

The problem with your whole "camp" that is against McDaniels is that you throw out these "sources" on one side and completely ignore any of the "sources" that say anythig that refutes your opinion...

so in your mind...and a lot of others there are just news breaks of McDaniels lying and trying to trade Cutler, but when something contradictory is reported its ignored.

Thats the problem...nobody knows what happened but its not stopping any of you from trying to run McDaniels out of town before he coaches a game.

DrFate
03-31-2009, 06:06 AM
That really is the best question: why didn't McDaniels respond more strongly when the internet reports hit on the first weekend of free agency? All he said was "no comment." Why? Why didn't he say something more substantial.

And honestly, I don't have a good answer. It could be that he thought the whole thing so ridiculous that he thought responding to it -- at all -- would make the situation worse, a bigger deal than it actually was. Or it could be that he was busy on the other line actively trying to deal Cutler. Who knows? Seems a lot more likely that it's the former rather than the latter.

That is the question I keep asking myself. Not only to McDaniels, but why didn't the organization as a whole come out and deny the rumors. As I remember it hit Saturday during the combine and there wasn't any 'official' response from the Broncos until into the week. That always smelled funny to me. Sure, that is speculation on my part, but I feel it is at least substantiated speculation. I think the owner and the GM could have stepped in and prevented this, at a minimum.

DrFate
03-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Thats the problem...nobody knows what happened but its not stopping any of you from trying to run McDaniels out of town before he coaches a game.

True and false. I don't kow what happened. But I DO know that McDaniels/the organization has done since combine weekend to fix this. And it is clearly not enough. Truth of the matter, they could have renamed the stadium to Jay's Field at Cutler Stadium and given Cutler a Haynesworth contract (we'll call that the pro-Jay extreme). Alternatively, they could have slashed Jays tires, peed in his morning cereal, and told him to go to hell. (we'll call that the anti-Jay extreme). And of course there are an infinite number of in betweens.

From where I sit, what HAS happened is closer to the anti-Jay extreme of the scale.

TheReverend
03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Jesus ****ing christ

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 07:03 AM
That is the question I keep asking myself. Not only to McDaniels, but why didn't the organization as a whole come out and deny the rumors. As I remember it hit Saturday during the combine and there wasn't any 'official' response from the Broncos until into the week. That always smelled funny to me. Sure, that is speculation on my part, but I feel it is at least substantiated speculation. I think the owner and the GM could have stepped in and prevented this, at a minimum.

See, and I didn't even hear anything about the trade issue until Saturday night, the 28th of February, which was (I think) the first weekend of free agency. I remember the date because I met John Elway on the 27th at Elway's in Cherry Creek, and my buddy Patrick brought up the JayTradeGateMcHappyTime issue at my buddy's birthday party the next night. We'd already signed Brian Dawkins, and we were talking about that when Patrick said something like "So why are you trading Cutler?" Looking it up online brought a very questionable blog entry and nothing more, so I guess I immediately dismissed it.

The next day came the McDaniels "No comment" comment. So if it started much earlier on, I didn't hear about it, and it wasn't on any major news outlets until the Cassel trade had already happened (also Saturday the 28th, I believe).

vancejohnson82
True and false. I don't kow what happened. But I DO know that McDaniels/the organization has done since combine weekend to fix this. And it is clearly not enough. Truth of the matter, they could have renamed the stadium to Jay's Field at Cutler Stadium and given Cutler a Haynesworth contract (we'll call that the pro-Jay extreme). Alternatively, they could have slashed Jays tires, peed in his morning cereal, and told him to go to hell. (we'll call that the anti-Jay extreme). And of course there are an infinite number of in betweens.

From where I sit, what HAS happened is closer to the anti-Jay extreme of the scale.

McDaniels played the "organizational" stance....which means you let everyone know that regardless of name you will be judged on your performance from here on out...maybe some people dont like it, but thats the way the new regime is going to work.

At this point, Jay hasn't done anything to convince me that he gives a crap about the fans or the team...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
Reverend's bull**** sig said: "Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs."

And somehow, Bill Belechick would not have held out another 24 hours to get a higher pick. I'll believe that when my **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

TheReverend
03-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Reverend's bull**** sig said: "Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs."

And somehow, Bill Belechick would not have held out another 24 hours to get a higher pick. I'll believe that when my **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

Cry, girl, and send your complaints to Peter King.

I don't quite believe him, the point of the sig is to emphasize McDaniels admitting he's full of **** and the second part is just placing it in context. I didn't write it, so go throw a temper tantrum elsewhere.

TheReverend
03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
PS. Silent Bob is queer.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Cry, girl, and send your complaints to Peter King.

I don't quite believe him, the point of the sig is to emphasize McDaniels admitting he's full of **** and the second part is just placing it in context. I didn't write it, so go throw a temper tantrum elsewhere.

Who's crying? I know where the quote came from. It's wrong, always was wrong, and doesn't prove a damn thing. Sorry, it just doesn't.

"Silent Bob is queer." Oooooooooooh, insult my avatar! BURN!

tsiguy96
03-31-2009, 07:26 AM
you guys are all idiots. grow the **** up and learn to enjoy the game instead of crying every 8 seconds about **** you will never, ever have any control over.

TheReverend
03-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Who's crying? I know where the quote came from. It's wrong, always was wrong, and doesn't prove a damn thing. Sorry, it just doesn't.

"Silent Bob is queer." Oooooooooooh, insult my avatar! BURN!

I never said it was right. I cared about the context. You can read into the compensation as much as you'd like to. I could care less about that part.

DrFate
03-31-2009, 07:59 AM
See, and I didn't even hear anything about the trade issue until Saturday night, the 28th of February, which was (I think) the first weekend of free agency. I remember the date because I met John Elway on the 27th at Elway's in Cherry Creek, and my buddy Patrick brought up the JayTradeGateMcHappyTime issue at my buddy's birthday party the next night. We'd already signed Brian Dawkins, and we were talking about that when Patrick said something like "So why are you trading Cutler?" Looking it up online brought a very questionable blog entry and nothing more, so I guess I immediately dismissed it.

The next day came the McDaniels "No comment" comment. So if it started much earlier on, I didn't hear about it, and it wasn't on any major news outlets until the Cassel trade had already happened (also Saturday the 28th, I believe).

I got a text from a buddy when ESPN broke it, which was during the combine (and like you said, during the start of the FA period). Saturday I think. When the 'news' broke, I don't remember an immediate response from the team. Cutler has claimed nobody would return his calls (which admittedly is his side0.

This is the closest thing I have been able to find online of a 'timeline'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f457d4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 08:15 AM
I got a text from a buddy when ESPN broke it, which was during the combine (and like you said, during the start of the FA period). Saturday I think. When the 'news' broke, I don't remember an immediate response from the team. Cutler has claimed nobody would return his calls (which admittedly is his side0.

This is the closest thing I have been able to find online of a 'timeline'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f457d4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

That's the funny thing... Cassel to KC was already completed as of Saturday morning, I thought... So it sort of lines up with BB's timeline of events, where he said that the "multi team" deals that were supposedly "lined up" all came to him after the deal to send Cassel to the Chiefs was already done, and had a lot of hurdles to overcome before any of them would be a reality. It also explains McDaniels "late to the dance" comment, a throwaway line if I've ever heard one.

I'm curious: those of you who have taken Cutler's version of events on this whole thing without questioning, and who have also held onto the "late to the dance" comment like it's gospel proof that McDaniels wanted nothing more than to get Cassel... have you considered that perhaps the dance he was late to was getting several draft picks AND Cassel? That he was late to the "dance" of getting a huge trade on his first day in Free Agency? Possible? Maybe?

And if he was so interested, why wouldn't he have told BB 24-48 hours before the Cassel trade that he was, in fact, interested in Cassel? BB stated that he personally contacted teams about Cassel, and that none of them were interested. If this thing was in the works from the moment McDaniels was hired, he most certainly COULD have gotten to that dance on time.

Also, Cutler has said he talked directly to Bowlen, asking "Are you guys trying to trade me?" Bowlen said, "No," which also speaks to McDaniels' version of events that it never got far enough along that he would have to send information to his boss, Pat Bowlen. So for Cutler to say 'nobody returned my calls' is... incorrect.

I don't know... Cutler says he "knows" that the Broncos were trying to trade him. I think he "knows" what Bus Cook tells him. And I don't "know" that Bus cook is really the guy we want Cutler listening to in this circumstance.

Either way, I think he'll be back next year. And the year after that. And the year after that. And I think he'll really blossom in this offense, with McDaniels, and the trust will come with winning.

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2009, 08:45 AM
have you considered that perhaps the dance he was late to was getting several draft picks AND Cassel? That he was late to the "dance" of getting a huge trade on his first day in Free Agency? Possible? Maybe?

I certainly hope not. Because that would mean that McDaniels prioritized 5 essentially meaningless 2nd or 3rd tier FA signings over a true blockbuster.

TheReverend
03-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I certainly hope not. Because that would mean that McDaniels prioritized 5 essentially meaningless 2nd or 3rd tier FA signings over a true blockbuster.

You're being extroardinairily generous.