PDA

View Full Version : CBS4: Asked to refrain from discussing the Cutler saga until April's mini-camp

montrose
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Per Vic Lombardi on All Access last night. In his words, "We promised not to talk about, won't even bring it up. For the simple fact that if we don't discuss it, we're told it will expedite the healing process. Allowing the principles, i.e. Josh and Jay, to handle this behind closed doors where it should have been handled weeks ago. Now if they don't make any progress by mini-camp in late April, then we are free to speculate, formulate and propagate as much as we please."

Keep in mind CBS4 has an official, financial partnership with the Broncos.

Meck77
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Good......

Crap like this just needs time.

rugbythug
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
At least this way one can read new broncos news instead of McJay regurgitated Chum.

ludo21
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM
What?!

I need the drama to get me to mini camps!! ;D

I really hope this blows over, we need Jay to have a chance to get this ship in the direction quicker

Irish Stout
03-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Per Vic Lombardi on All Access last night. In his words, "We promised not to talk about, won't even bring it up. For the simple fact that if we don't discuss it, we're told it will expedite the healing process. Allowing the principles, i.e. Josh and Jay, to handle this behind closed doors where it should have been handled weeks ago. Now if they don't make any progress by mini-camp in late April, then we are free to speculate, formulate and propagate as much as we please."

Really? what is that?

NFLBRONCO
03-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Now if Jay can grow up by the draft is the bigger question.

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 10:27 AM
how lame is that

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
"if they don't talk about it, it will all go away"

nice one Pat...have another drink

Blueflame
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
The team wants the media gagged, eh? Interesting.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 10:42 AM

It's not gagging the media. It's called trying to get the two principles involved in the process instead of spreading around rumor and conjecture from "unnamed sources." Why is that so hard to understand?

This isn't a censorship issue. The station was asked not to discuss the Cutler situation. They're not going to.

Frankly, I think it's best for all sides. How much of this could have been avoided without the "unnamed sources" running to the media every other day when the story first dropped?

DrFate
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM

That's the way I read it... But I don't drink the Kool Aid like some on this board...

I thought the media's job was to report the news impartially?

BabyTO
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
http://www.vorwaerts.ch/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/fidel_castro.jpg

Maybe Pat Bowlen should move to Cuba and take Castros spot. They have the same political views it seems.

Blueflame
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
That's the way I read it... But I don't drink the Kool Aid like some on this board...

Well... it makes me wonder: "what is gonna happen between now and then that they don't want us to know?"

Rabb
03-30-2009, 10:50 AM
do we really have an issue with the team not wanting this to steamroll into more BS?

seriously, I think the media part of it made it a trillion times worse, and no I am not excusing either side of the problem

CBS4 sucks anyhow, they jump the gun on a lot of things

TheElusiveKyleOrton

You drink the Kool Aid... it's just a different flavor.

Have there been any new developments in this story in the last, say, week and a half? No? Then why does the reporting need to continue?

Some folks like to have the same exact report recycled and fed to them over and over again. I guess I'm not in that group of folks.

If there's nothing to report, and the same story just keeps being told... what's the point?

theAPAOps5
I knew the typical parties who tend to overreact would be doing just that when I read the headline of the thread! :spit:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Well... it makes me wonder: "what is gonna happen between now and then that they don't want us to know?"

Of course it does.

What you should be wondering is "Why do I keep reading the same story over and over again, with no new information and just a different headline? Am I a moron? Should I think for myself?"

That would require some self-reflection. Not sure you're capable. You'd rather be fed the same non-story for weeks on end. The Broncos would rather fix the problem.

Do you REALLY believe that if something major happens, CBS4 isn't going to report it? REALLY?

Pony Boy
03-30-2009, 10:53 AM
...and now, let's hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"!

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
:giggle:

BabyTO
03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
do we really have an issue with the team not wanting this to steamroll into more BS?

seriously, I think the media part of it made it a trillion times worse, and no I am not excusing either side of the problem

CBS4 sucks anyhow, they jump the gun on a lot of things

They made it worse? They didn't try to ship Cutler to the Buccaneers, they didn't lie to Cutler, they didn't do anything. All they do is REPORT WHAT HAPPENED, WHAT THE BRONCOS DID WRONG. You act like they are lying, like they make this stuff up.

CBS4 is a pathetic channel. Imagine if the Broncos paid off every news channel out there, nobody would do any negative stories on them anymore. How is that different from what Castro does in Cuba? It's just one channel right now, that's the only difference. Castro owns everything out there.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Heh, that was actually really funny. Nice work.

Blueflame

Hilarious! Ha! Rep...

DrFate
You drink the Kool Aid... it's just a different flavor.

Have there been any new developments in this story in the last, say, week and a half? No? Then why does the reporting need to continue?

Some folks like to have the same exact report recycled and fed to them over and over again. I guess I'm not in that group of folks.

If there's nothing to report, and the same story just keeps being told... what's the point?

That's not the point. I don't like ANYBODY telling the media what to cover and what not to cover. (yes, in the wrong forum) during the campaign a local reporter asked Biden some questions he didn't want to hear. The Obama people immediately said 'we aren't going to give you any access to Obama/Biden'. This, to me, is the same thing. The team is saying 'don't talk about this'. Let the news people decide if there is something to report.

I don't simply nod and drone, like some do on this board, everytime the front office tells me something (or anytime the government tells me something).

I am capable of thinking for myself. I consider myself marginally intelligent - I can see the difference between a rumor with no source vs. something that might be real information.

So now when a reporter gets some real info (Cutler traded, Cutler shows up, etc.) - they just sit on it? The organization can't 'ask' a news organization to not talk about an issue without a tacit threat. I can only say if I were a news director and I had a call from the local sports franchise with nonsense like this, I'd feel threatened.

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I can't take credt for bowlen information minister...heck, I can't remember who made it

the pic is from March 2005

Blueflame
03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
That's not the point. I don't like ANYBODY telling the media what to cover and what not to cover. (yes, in the wrong forum) during the campaign a local reporter asked Biden some questions he didn't want to hear. The Obama people immediately said 'we aren't going to give you any access to Obama/Biden'. This, to me, is the same thing. The team is saying 'don't talk about this'. Let the news people decide if there is something to report.

I don't simply nod and drone, like some do on this board, everytime the front office tells me something (or anytime the government tells me something).

I am capable of thinking for myself. I consider myself marginally intelligent - I can see the difference between a rumor with no source vs. something that might be real information.

So now when a reporter gets some real info (Cutler traded, Cutler shows up, etc.) - they just sit on it?

A team that is dealing "straight" with the player and the fans doesn't need to pull the "secrecy" card.

theAPAOps5
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Here is a thought maybe Cook and Cutler asked for this. Carry on with the overreaction though, don't mind me.

Rabb
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
They made it worse? They didn't try to ship Cutler to the Buccaneers, they didn't lie to Cutler, they didn't do anything. All they do is REPORT WHAT HAPPENED, WHAT THE BRONCOS DID WRONG. You act like they are lying, like they make this stuff up.

CBS4 is a pathetic channel. Imagine if the Broncos paid off every news channel out there, nobody would do any negative stories on them anymore. How is that different from what Castro does in Cuba? It's just one channel right now, that's the only difference. Castro owns everything out there.

are you kidding me?

you people are amazing, I never said they lied or made things up but if you think for a second that the media did not play a major role in all of this then you are out of your mind

was it an issue?, absolutely

did Denver do some things proactively or by listening?, absolutely

did Jay overreact, and use the media as a tool?, absolutely

did the Broncos also use the media as a tool?, absolutely

do players listen to what is reported, right or wrong? absolutely, and I would guess definitely in Jay's case

never once...in any post I have made in the history of man have I said that the media caused this...go back and read what I said, I said they make it WORSE

spin it and what I say however you want to though, I really don't give a **** anymore...it seems to be the trend

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM

So now when a reporter gets some real info (Cutler traded, Cutler shows up, etc.) - they just sit on it?

You really think that they'll just sit on REAL information while EVERY OTHER CHANNEL IN TOWN covers it? You can't really believe they'd shoot themselves in the foot like that. CBS4 is a business; they're not going to look foolish by not covering REAL information. But they can easily stop repeating the same bull**** story every single day.

It's simple. There's no new news to report. The media would do everyone a huge favor by not commenting on every little thing, every anonymous source (like that hideous Fox31 story last week), every unnamed league source that is allegedly close to the situation, while the Broncos try to fix the actual problem.

I don't see what's wrong with it. If they were suddenly not allowing the media to access Dove Valley at all, or if they suddenly sent out a memo to every media outlet saying that they wouldn't discuss anything, you might have a point. But asking CBS4 not to repeat the same story every day is perfectly legitimate, and CBS4 AGREED to it.

montrose
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Really? what is that?

CBS4 is an official partner of the Broncos, mostly because their games play on CBS. Just like 850 KOA is also an official partner of the Broncos. I speculate that's why McDaniels did interviews with both of those outlets but hasn't interviewed with any of the other three networks or the other local sports-talk radio programs.

DenverBrit
03-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Unlikely. But your reference to 'real info' is the crux of the matter.
CBS4 have been the rumor and unnamed sources 'cheerleaders' and Lombardi the pom pom squad.
If they should ever 'stumble' over some facts, I'm sure they'll report them.
But so far, they have been as guilty as sin when it comes to rumors, speculation and gossip.
They've been asked to report facts instead. Why is that upsetting to anyone??

DBroncos4life
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is a thought maybe Cook and Cutler asked for this. Carry on with the overreaction though, don't mind me.

Ask yourself this what do they stand to gain and do they have control of both the Broncos and the news paper. Neither Cook or Cutler have that much power to control the media.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:06 AM
A team that is dealing "straight" with the player and the fans doesn't need to pull the "secrecy" card.

Please pull your head out of your ass.

From Lombardi's statement last night: "Now if they don't make any progress by mini-camp in late April, then we are free to speculate, formulate and propagate as much as we please."

Bolded is all that has been happening for the last two weeks. Speculation, formulation, propagation. That's it.

It's not "playing the secrecy card." It's trying to cut through the bull**** so that the situation can be mended.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:10 AM
It's simple. There's no new news to report. The media would do everyone a huge favor by not commenting on every little thing, every anonymous source (like that hideous Fox31 story last week), every unnamed league source that is allegedly close to the situation, while the Broncos try to fix the actual problem.

Why not let the news director make that call? Why does the organization feel compelled to 'ask' for this?

I don't see what's wrong with it. If they were suddenly not allowing the media to access Dove Valley at all, or if they suddenly sent out a memo to every media outlet saying that they wouldn't discuss anything, you might have a point. But asking CBS4 not to repeat the same story every day is perfectly legitimate, and CBS4 AGREED to it.

Because 'not allowing access' is the stick. Of course they freakin' agreed - if they don't, all their press passes get pulled. You think a news outlet is going to refuse and run the risk of getting black balled? They don't have to deny acess to Dove Valley - all they have to do is make this 'request' - the news directors are smart enough to see there is a tacit threat here.

The media is supposed to be an independent and impartial entity. Whether it is a corporation, the federal government, or the Broncos. The role of the media is to inform the public. I'm not even disagreeing with you that there hasn't been any movement on this story. Fine. Whatever. Let the media impartially make that decision. Let the consumers of that news make that determination.

This is like if the Detroit Free Press got a call during the trial of their mayor and a PR mouthpiece said 'Well, the jury is out and will be for a few days. Can you not talk about the trial or what the mayor did? I mean, there isn't any NEW news, right??'

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
They've been asked to report facts instead. Why is that upsetting to anyone??

The public is supposed to make that determination. Not the Broncos PR department.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
The general media is gonna speculat period, their job is to sell news/information regardless of it's accuracy.

Just becasue the Broncos asked their local affiliate, who airs their games live on CBS, to reframe from guess work until mini camp does not make a conspiracy.

It's one channel in Denver that is being asked to hold back until actual progress has or has not been made. Big deal.

Its not like there aren't 4 other local stations to keep shoveling the crap.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
From Lombardi's statement last night: "Now if they don't make any progress by mini-camp in late April, then we are free to speculate, formulate and propagate as much as we please."

Thank you very much for outlining this. When did the media have to get the permission of the Broncos to report whatever the hell the want to? I'm glad the organization has given this news outlet the A-OK to go ahead and cover the team.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Why not let the news director make that call? Why does the organization feel compelled to 'ask' for this?

Because 'not allowing access' is the stick. Of course they freakin' agreed - if they don't, all their press passes get pulled. You think a news outlet is going to refuse and run the risk of getting black balled? They don't have to deny acess to Dove Valley - all they have to do is make this 'request' - the news directors are smart enough to see there is a tacit threat here.

The media is supposed to be an independent and impartial entity. Whether it is a corporation, the federal government, or the Broncos. The role of the media is to inform the public. I'm not even disagreeing with you that there hasn't been any movement on this story. Fine. Whatever. Let the media impartially make that decision. Let the consumers of that news make that determination.

This is like if the Detroit Free Press got a call during the trial of their mayor and a PR mouthpiece said 'Well, the jury is out and will be for a few days. Can you not talk about the trial or what the mayor did? I mean, there isn't any NEW news, right??'

That's the problem, Doc. "the consumers" have a really bad bull**** detector. How else do you explain the popularity of Rush Limbaugh? Most people in our country think that because it's printed on a page (even an internet page) or broadcast on a show (even on YouTube), it's true.

What's wrong with asking CBS4 to chill out on all the "The Jets might be interested!/Jay had yogurt and a beer for breakfast!/Day 32 of the Cutler Saga - nothing to report, but here's the same story that we've told since the beginning of this entire thing, just enough to get you riled up AGAIN about nothing!" talk? If something actually HAPPENS, CBS4 will A) be the first to know, and B) will report it immediately.

If this leads to Cutler mending his feelings, putting on his big boy drawers and showing up to work, then the ends justify the means in my opinion. Is it questionable? As a writer myself, yes, I suppose it is. But is there anyone here who isn't completely sick of this story? There's been nothing new in two weeks! Yet we're bombarded every day with more "information"!! Asking them to cool it until something actually is newsworthy isn't a bad thing.

Stop the tabloid bull****.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Thank you very much for outlining this. When did the media have to get the permission of the Broncos to report whatever the hell the want to? I'm glad the organization has given this news outlet the A-OK to go ahead and cover the team.

So irresponsible performing is just fine with you, Doc, as long as you get your McCutlerGate fix?

BabyTO
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
are you kidding me?

you people are amazing, I never said they lied or made things up but if you think for a second that the media did not play a major role in all of this then you are out of your mind

was it an issue?, absolutely

did Denver do some things proactively or by listening?, absolutely

did Jay overreact, and use the media as a tool?, absolutely

did the Broncos also use the media as a tool?, absolutely

do players listen to what is reported, right or wrong? absolutely, and I would guess definitely in Jay's case

never once...in any post I have made in the history of man have I said that the media caused this...go back and read what I said, I said they make it WORSE

spin it and what I say however you want to though, I really don't give a **** anymore...it seems to be the trend

That's what the media does. They report. It's not just CBS4. So how can you say they made it worse? They report on what happened. Cutler deserves to know whats going on behind his back. The public, the fans deserve to know what the front office / head coach is doing with "their" team. You can't just say stop reporting. Thank god Pat Bowlen is not paying off more tv stations because the other stations will continue to report on this. Or even PFT.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
That's the problem, Doc. "the consumers" have a really bad bull**** detector.

How does anyone reconcile that statement? So, according to that rationale, the population basically isn't smart enough to decide for themeselves what is 'valid' news and what isn't? If this channel is running crap (and I'm not saying either way), let the people make that determination. Let the people decide to change the channel and listen to whatever alternatives there are to get the 'real' news.

And Limbaugh is popular because you can't necessarily believe what the TV networks tell you anymore than what an internet page tells you.

baja
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Do we need a poll on this???

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
That's what the media does. They report. It's not just CBS4. So how can you say they made it worse? They report on what happened. Cutler deserves to know whats going on behind his back. The public, the fans deserve to know what the front office / head coach is doing with "their" team. You can't just say stop reporting. Thank god Pat Bowlen is not paying off more tv stations because the other stations will continue to report on this. Or even PFT.

Are you retarded? Do you wear a helmet every day? Because that's moronic.

Bowlen didn't "pay off" CBS4. They have a business relationship. Bowlen asked that CBS4 be responsible journalists, and report on things that actually happen, not speculate on things that never have.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Definitely. Make it happen, baja. Hilarious!

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
So irresponsible performing is just fine with you, Doc, as long as you get your McCutlerGate fix?

I don't live in Denver. I don't get the Denver channels. I don't watch this channel. That isn't the point.

IT ISN'T UP TO THE ORGANIZATION TO DECIDE IF THE REPORTING IS IRRESPONSIBLE.

Unless a news organization is simply lying, and there are slander/libel laws for that kind of thing, the organziation should let them do their job.

And sure, I'm sick of the story. I'd like it to go away, regardless of the outcome. But I'm not going to try to put a gag order on a local affiliate. If I am tired of the coverage - I'll change the channel.

OBF1
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
About freekin time. Anyone that wants or needs to hear the same old crap day after day is brain dead. When there is something REAL to report, then go ahead and do so.

Now back to your whining and crying.

DHallblows
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM

ROFL!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
How does anyone reconcile that statement? So, according to that rationale, the population basically isn't smart enough to decide for themeselves what is 'valid' news and what isn't? If this channel is running crap (and I'm not saying either way), let the people make that determination. Let the people decide to change the channel and listen to whatever alternatives there are to get the 'real' news.

And Limbaugh is popular because you can't necessarily believe what the TV networks tell you anymore than what an internet page tells you.

You tell me, Doc. The lead is based on information from a nameless, faceless source, while they bury information that contradicts that report which actually comes from someone with a name, and title, and credentials. They've done it every single time. There's no news to report, so why is it in the headlines every day? Because people have a bad bull**** detector.

And Limbaugh is popular because he riles up the base with absurd assertions ("There are more Native Americans in America now than there were when Columbus landed! This is a fact!" or "Everyone knows that styrofoam is biodegradable") that nobody bothers to check up on because he's - ta-dah! - on the air, so it "must be true."

It's a free press, and there are plenty of outlets to get all of your speculative bull**** about the Broncos. I'll be watching CBS4 exclusively for my Broncos news now. Easy decision for me.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't live in Denver. I don't get the Denver channels. I don't watch this channel. That isn't the point.

IT ISN'T UP TO THE ORGANIZATION TO DECIDE IF THE REPORTING IS IRRESPONSIBLE.

Unless a news organization is simply lying, and there are slander/libel laws for that kind of thing, the organziation should let them do their job.

And sure, I'm sick of the story. I'd like it to go away, regardless of the outcome. But I'm not going to try to put a gag order on a local affiliate. If I am tired of the coverage - I'll change the channel.

We're lapping each other here, Doc.

The organization is "letting" every other news outlet continue their perpetual bull****. I'd bet dollars to donuts that they'd "let" CBS4 do the same. They've asked ONE station not to continue until there's something more concrete than an interview with Cutler's dog-walker's nanny's brother, who would prefer to remain nameless. 'Cause right now, that's all there is.

Good for CBS4. They should have done this on their own. They know they don't have a story.

Oh, and by the way, there are plenty of news directors out there that would tell the Broncos to piss up a rope (I happen to have worked for one), but that would only happen if there were actually a story to tell. There is no story here, until something happens, at which point you can bet KCNC will be reporting.

In fact, I'll bet you that if something DOES break, it's CBS4 that breaks it.

Chris
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM

I would wear that outfit to games.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
You tell me, Doc. The lead is based on information from a nameless, faceless source, while they bury information that contradicts that report which actually comes from someone with a name, and title, and credentials. They've done it every single time. There's no news to report, so why is it in the headlines every day? Because people have a bad bull**** detector.

I'd MUCH rather be able to make that determination on my own, thank you very much. I don't need anyone to make that decision for me (in this case the organization). You feel it is BS. Great. I applaud your ability to decide for yourself.

And Limbaugh is popular because he riles up the base with absurd assertions ("There are more Native Americans in America now than there were when Columbus landed! This is a fact!" or "Everyone knows that styrofoam is biodegradable") that nobody bothers to check up on because he's - ta-dah! - on the air, so it "must be true."

Limbaugh is popular because he says something different then what the 'big three' networks, CNN, and the dying print media says. Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. have huge audiences because they say things people want to hear. And personally, I feel their 'fact checking' is AT LEAST as good as Katie Couric or the like. There are plenty of absurd assertions on NBC, CNN, the NYT, etc. All you have to do is look.

It's a free press, and there are plenty of outlets to get all of your speculative bull**** about the Broncos. I'll be watching CBS4 exclusively for my Broncos news now. Easy decision for me.

And that is what is supposed to be the nice thing about a free society. You can watch CBS4. Great. Enjoy freedom. As I said, I don't get CBS4. I live 2000 miles away. My point remains - let the news people report 'the news', as they determine it, and let the people decide to watch or not.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd MUCH rather be able to make that determination on my own, thank you very much. I don't need anyone to make that decision for me (in this case the organization). You feel it is BS. Great. I applaud your ability to decide for yourself.

You can still decide ON YOUR OWN. Nobody is saying you can't. Check out the other three networks in Denver (you can do so online). They'll still be printing bull****, I'm sure. All you can eat.

You just can't at CBS4. The news director there either A) has no principles that he fights for, or B) agrees that there's nothing happening with the story right now.

baja
03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
You can still decide ON YOUR OWN. Nobody is saying you can't. Check out the other three networks in Denver (you can do so online). They'll still be printing bull****, I'm sure. All you can eat.

You just can't at CBS4. The news director there either A) has no principles that he fights for,<b> or B) agrees that there's nothing happening with the story right now.

What story?

rugbythug
03-30-2009, 11:44 AM

<- Blueflame Gets Graduation Card with a dollar bill in it.

"Aha a pyramid I knew he was Illuminati!"

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
They've asked ONE station not to continue until there's something more concrete than an interview with Cutler's dog-walker's nanny's brother, who would prefer to remain nameless. 'Cause right now, that's all there is.

I simply find it unsettling that a news outlet (ANY news outlet) will cover a story a certain way/not cover it because somebody 'in power asks' for it. To be honest, this 'story' is nothing compared to foreign affairs or political scandal or whatever. We both know that. But I don't want elected officials 'asking' for certain media coverage (not when they can punish those who refuse) and I don't want corporations 'asking' for certain media coverage when they can do the same.

They have no business asking. The threat of retribution (as tin foil hat as it might sound) is tacit and real. No, I doubt that anyone actually threatened CBS4. But you don't avoid a conflict of interest situation because it is really happening. You avoid it becuase it might happen.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
You can still decide ON YOUR OWN. Nobody is saying you can't. Check out the other three networks in Denver (you can do so online).

The risk, as I'm sure you already know, is that if one outlet goes along for fear of retribution, then others will soon after. If CBS4 starts getting all the McDaniels interviews and a club box at Invesco, and the other outlets get stuck talking to the backup long snapper - well, you get my point. Once you freely give away your ability to decide (not that you have, I'm talking about CBS4) - you rarely get it back.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I simply find it unsettling that a news outlet (ANY news outlet) will cover a story a certain way/not cover it because somebody 'in power asks' for it. To be honest, this 'story' is nothing compared to foreign affairs or political scandal or whatever. We both know that. But I don't want elected officials 'asking' for certain media coverage (not when they can punish those who refuse) and I don't want corporations 'asking' for certain media coverage when they can do the same.

They have no business asking. The threat of retribution (as tin foil hat as it might sound) is tacit and real. No, I doubt that anyone actually threatened CBS4. But you don't avoid a conflict of interest situation because it is really happening. You avoid it becuase it might happen.

Wow, Dr. Fate. You have a great imagination.

Nobody at Dove Valley threatened CBS4 with anything. In fact, I believe it's probably just the opposite. Indeed, why not offer CBS4 the scoop when it actually happens?

I bet you anything, that is what is happening. CBS4 agrees to back off it's speculation and for that, when a trade or new contract happens, they will get the story first.

Crap like this happens all the time between the media and the media's sources.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM

Fair enough. But 9News isn't "The Official Politics Station." They don't have an agreement with the state legislature to cover all their press conferences, sessions, etc., so it's not really even on the same level.

The Broncos have a business relationship with CBS4, one that has benefited both parties exponentially. Because of this business relationship, CBS4 has a better reputation in town for covering the Broncos. Because of this reputation, the rampant speculation and other assorted nonsense actually gets some credibility when reported by CBS4. All the Broncos have asked is that CBS4 not do any speculative reporting, as it lends credibility where there should be none.

I'll tell you a little story: I currently work for a user-generated content site in Denver. One of our contributors wrote a story about a teenager who was suspended for a "hate crime" against a Muslim student. The "hate crime" was, according to the writer of the article, "leaving a ham sandwich near the Muslim student." Absurd, right?

It wasn't true. At all. It was a parody. Quotes were fabricated completely. Problem is, Fox News (the morning show, Fox & Friends, about the biggest group of morons ever assembled on a TV set) got wind of the story, and without doing ANY work of their own, reported the story as fact. People were so duped by Fox's report, that they overloaded the district's phone system with angry messages, parents threatened to pull their kids out of school, etc. All because a news director didn't look into something, not even a little. This stuff HAPPENS.

What's wrong with being sure that the information you're reporting is correct? It was a damn embarrassing incident for Fox Noise. Not that anything has changed there. :rolleyes

Paladin
03-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Check your blood pressure. You may need help......

Padawan, your head you must keep. Feel you will better. Stupid you cannot be. Down keep head. Passions you must control.

Now if we can get the Post to drop the cutsie "McJaygate" headline, maybe we will see some sense brought to this Board.

Maybe not......

bronco militia
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1229/bowleninformationminist.jpg

Inkana7
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Good. CBS4 started this firestorm.

Paladin
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Yes, Yes, YES!!!!!

OH GAWD!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!

eddie mac
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
What's Lombardi gonna do for the next month now???

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
There is a big difference between journalism and yellow journalism. Which do you think CBS4, ESPN, and NFLN has practiced in this situation?

HEAV
03-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Vic Lombardi must be heart broken that his shot at being the next Adam Schefter is slipping away.

DrFate
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Fair enough. But 9News isn't "The Official Politics Station." They don't have an agreement with the state legislature to cover all their press conferences, sessions, etc., so it's not really even on the same level.

The Broncos have a business relationship with CBS4, one that has benefited both parties exponentially. Because of this business relationship, CBS4 has a better reputation in town for covering the Broncos. Because of this reputation, the rampant speculation and other assorted nonsense actually gets some credibility when reported by CBS4. All the Broncos have asked is that CBS4 not do any speculative reporting, as it lends credibility where there should be none.

If you are saying that they are 'the official channel of the Broncos' (again I don't get the channel) - then I guess I would take EVERYTHING they say about the Broncos with a grain of salt. If they have that level of business partnership with the org, then they are, effectively, a spokesmen of the team. They are no longer an independent third party.

I'll tell you a little story: I currently work for a user-generated content site in Denver. One of our contributors wrote a story about a teenager who was suspended for a "hate crime" against a Muslim student. The "hate crime" was, according to the writer of the article, "leaving a ham sandwich near the Muslim student." Absurd, right?

It wasn't true. At all. It was a parody. Quotes were fabricated completely. Problem is, Fox News (the morning show, Fox & Friends, about the biggest group of morons ever assembled on a TV set) got wind of the story, and without doing ANY work of their own, reported the story as fact. People were so duped by Fox's report, that they overloaded the district's phone system with angry messages, parents threatened to pull their kids out of school, etc. All because a news director didn't look into something, not even a little. This stuff HAPPENS.

What's wrong with being sure that the information you're reporting is correct? It was a damn embarrassing incident for Fox Noise. Not that anything has changed there. :rolleyes

But that responsibility lies on both sides. There was a blogger who claimed that Sarah Palin called dinosaurs 'Satan's lizards'. And portions of the 'mainstream media' picked it up and reported it as truth. And it was a big deal for about 5 minutes, just like the ham sandwich story, until somebody stopped and checked their source. I am sure the Clinton News Network has at least as much culpability as anything on the Fox channels. :)

And I'm not giving the Denver media a pass. Turning this into a tabloid issue is probably more than some outlets could resist. But I'd still rather that happen, and I can turn the channel, then a media outlet basically giving me the 'Broncos version' as opposed to their version of the truth (whatever that is).

barryr
03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
The media has made up crap along the way, so surprised they are going to stop since it's just their way anymore. But I guess the only way to stop writing BS is to stop writing period.

DenverBrit
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
The public is supposed to make that determination. Not the Broncos PR department.

I'd like every media outlet to report facts instead of gossip and rumor.

But they don't.

How is the public to know the difference between fact and rumor?

So far, this story has proven they can't.

But CBS4 can continue to report the same crap they've been reporting if they choose to.

It was a request, not a gag order.

DeuceOfClub
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that CBS4 was promised something in return. If "news" about Cutler will "sale" they will keep airing that garbage.
Maybe an exclusive goodbye interview with Mustard?

summerdenver
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
This actually makes sense. The only thing that does not add up is that someone did leak about Jay's alcoholism to fox 31.

May be this is a reaction that .....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that CBS4 was promised something in return. If "news" about Cutler will "sale" they will keep airing that garbage.
Maybe an exclusive goodbye interview with Mustard?

You watch. If Jay is back in town, if he meets with McDaniels, and agrees to meet with the media about the whole situation, CBS4 will get the scoop. That'll be the first call made to announce.

If Cutler is traded, CBS4 will get that scoop as well.

NFLBRONCO
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Who thinks Jay will show at April's mini camp not me. I think he shows June 12th if he's not actually traded. What is the point of this thread unless that's Denvers deadline to open up serious trade talks if he doesn't show up April 17th.

Taco John
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Even Shanahan didn't have the balls to gag the media. Wow.

Taco John
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Crap like this happens all the time between the media and the media's sources.

No it certainly does not. This is unprecedented.

NFLBRONCO
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM

How much do you see this helping this saga?

Taco John
03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
How much do you see this helping this saga?

I see it hurting it. Keep in mind that CBS4 has been the only outlet where you could reliably get Jay's perspective on this matter. Now the Broncos have plugged the source of information that Jay leaks to... How do you think Jay is going to feel about that. From this point forward, only the Broncos perspective is getting out there.

The Broncos and CBS4 is playing with fire.

BroncoMan4ever
03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
At least this way one can read new broncos news instead of McJay regurgitated Chum.

i agree. i am on Jay's side but i am truly getting sick of arguing my side of the situation

crush17
03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
i agree. i am on Jay's side but i am truly getting sick of arguing my side of the situation

that's because your side is the wrong one.

;)

DrFate
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM

Makes me wonder if this is a Bellicheck influence (assuming you believe this is a 'gag order')

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I see it hurting it. Keep in mind that CBS4 has been the only outlet where you could reliably get Jay's perspective on this matter. Now the Broncos have plugged the source of information that Jay leaks to... How do you think Jay is going to feel about that. From this point forward, only the Broncos perspective is getting out there.

The Broncos and CBS4 is playing with fire.

That's such bull**** TJ. Sorry, but that's bull****.

If you want the speculation, you can turn to one of the other three locals covering the story, OR click on over to ESPN. You can be certain that Mortenson won't stop making up bull**** to make it seem like there's something developing.

Personally, I'm not going to miss the "anonymous sources." Not even a little.

Taco John
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
That's such bull**** TJ. Sorry, but that's bull****.

It's not, but you're welcome to think so.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
It's not, but you're welcome to think so.

It is, and it's more than just me that thinks so.

It's ONE local affiliate. Did they tell every news station in Colorado not to report on the situation? No. Absolutely need your "McJaygate" fix, change the ****ing channel.

Good for Channel 4. Makes me MORE willing to watch them, not less.

Taco John
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
It is, and it's more than just me that thinks so.

It's ONE local affiliate. Did they tell every news station in Colorado not to report on the situation? No. Absolutely need your "McJaygate" fix, change the ****ing channel.

Good for Channel 4. Makes me MORE willing to watch them, not less.

You're not the bightest, most discerning posters this site has ever seen, so I'll spell it out for you:

1. Vic Lombardi hosted The Jay Cutler Show.
2. It stands to reason that these two people (Jay and Vic) formed a trusting relationship.
3. Vic has had information from the Cutler camp quicker (and seemingly more accurate) than any other source out there. As such...
4. CBS4 has been the only outlet where you could reliably get Jay's perspective on this matter.
5. The Broncos have just asked CBS4 not to report on this story until a certain date.

This isn't rocket science.

I don't want speculation. I want information - as much of it as possible.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Where's the gag?

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
You're not the bightest, most discerning posters this site has ever seen, so I'll spell it out for you:

2. It stands to reason that these two people (Jay and Vic) formed a trusting relationship.
3. Vic has had information from the Cutler camp quicker (and seemingly more accurate) than any other source out there. As such...
4. CBS4 has been the only outlet where you could reliably get Jay's perspective on this matter.
5. The Broncos have just asked CBS4 not to report on this story until a certain date.

Oh, I guess there is no "gag." It's a request which CBS4 can certainly refuse.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Coming from you, that's a compliment.

Vic has had the same bull**** information from the same bull**** "nameless sources" from the Cutler camp as every other media outlet. You can get garbage anywhere, TJ.

And no, you're not "reliably getting Jay's perspective on the matter" from Channel 4. Your'e getting an anonymous source's perspective on the matter from CBS4. Again, you can pick up garbage pretty much anywhere.

DenverBrit
03-30-2009, 03:23 PM

It's a request, not a 'gag.'

Christ, does the Mane exaggerate or what? Ha!

Taco John
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM

I went to Vic directly for clarification on this. Here is what he relayed:

There is no media gag. The Broncos never contacted us about how to cover this story. I do my due diligence every single day. We simply believe it’s irresponsible to report anything about the story unless we have something “meaningful” to report. And I was personally told – by both parties – nothing’s happening for at least a couple weeks. If that changes, we’ll let you know.

I'm not sure the wisdom of reporting that you're not going to cover a story until a certain event passes. I don't personally like it, but I'd like to believe that if Vic had something worth reporting, he'd report it.

DenverBrit
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM

There is no media gag. The Broncos never contacted us about how to cover this story. I do my due diligence every single day. We simply believe it’s irresponsible to report anything about the story unless we have something “meaningful” to report. And I was personally told – by both parties – nothing’s happening for at least a couple weeks. If that changes, we’ll let you know.

I'm not sure the wisdom of reporting that you're not going to cover a story until a certain event passes. I don't personally like it, but I'd like to believe that if Vic had something worth reporting, he'd report it.

There ya go, it's CBS not the Broncos!

Gag order? How do you guys come up with theses gems?? Hilarious!

elsid13
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Danny Boy Snyder move.....

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2009, 03:31 PM

NO, IT'S A GAG! Hilarious!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM

/chokes on gag

Hmmm... crazy how that worked out, eh?

Tell me: was your information from Vic ACTUALLY from an anonymous source? Hilarious!

Taco John
03-30-2009, 03:35 PM
/chokes on gag

Hmmm... crazy how that worked out, eh?

Tell me: was your information from Vic ACTUALLY from an anonymous source? Hilarious!

You've got all the sophistication and understanding of a 1970's toaster. It cracks me up that you're so hung up on the "anonymous source."

outdoor_miner
03-30-2009, 03:38 PM

Well - whaddya know? The "sky is falling" crowd is wrong again. The funny part about this is that if Taco John had never emailed Lombardi, many people would have clung to the Broncos "gestapo tactics" as some sort of established fact.

Also - I can't wait to see the first post a few weeks from now referencing this story as if it wasn't totally debunked. Fun times.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Well - whaddya know? The "sky is falling" crowd is wrong again. The funny part about this is that if Taco John had never emailed Lombardi, many people would have clung to the Broncos "gestapo tactics" as some sort of established fact.

Also - I can't wait to see the first post a few weeks from now referencing this story as if it wasn't totally debunked. Fun times.

I'm quite surprised that TJ even posted the response from Vic, since it actually makes him look like a total fool. But whatever.

Happily surprised.

baja
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
The Day The Earth Stood Still huh TJ

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/shigeru_miyamoto_gagged.jpg

baja
03-30-2009, 03:52 PM
We've been Gagged

http://zipline.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/gagged_med1.jpg

peacepipe
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM

So now when a reporter gets some real info (Cutler traded, Cutler shows up, etc.) - they just sit on it? The organization can't 'ask' a news organization to not talk about an issue without a tacit threat. I can only say if I were a news director and I had a call from the local sports franchise with nonsense like this, I'd feel threatened.
The interveiw you're reffering to had nothing to do with journalism.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
The Day The Earth Stood Still huh TJ

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/08/shigeru_miyamoto_gagged.jpg

LOL ROFL!

Popps
03-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Yea, I'm sure the minute any real news breaks, CBS will really be "gagged."

Anyone want to bet me their life savings that CBS doesn't plaster any scoop they get all over the internet and everyone's cell phones?

Please.

It is funny, though.. the idea that our QB is such a pansy we have to all walk quietly on eggshells until April, hoping he'll grace us with his presence.

We need to bump the "Jay broke up with us" thread.

How football has changed. You can't make this **** up.

lex
03-31-2009, 02:02 AM
how lame is that

You make a valid point but Im glad about this but its purely for selfish reasons. Im simply tired of it.

Meck77
03-31-2009, 02:22 AM
McD makes Gitmo look Disneyland compared to Dove Valley!

You can't handle my gag order!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8720/imgfewgoodmen.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgfewgoodmen.jpg)

~Crash~
03-31-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.vorwaerts.ch/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/fidel_castro.jpg

Maybe Pat Bowlen should move to Cuba and take Castros spot. They have the same political views it seems.

hell why there just go to Washington we got plenty communist there .

then we got a House ,and a Congress full of Kings ands Queens ! House of Representatives what a joke . How many of you make that kind of money and fly all over the world eating the finest food staying in plush hotels and parting on the public .

vancejohnson82
03-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Please Come To Camp Jay!!!

We Won't Talk To You...or Interview You!!

Just Come Back!!!

dEADmANwALKING
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Al Davis can't fart without making an ESPISSN news flash..Why are the Bronco's so special?

They are pretty much are saying(If you read between the lines) that this will be resolved by the end of April.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Al Davis can't fart without making an ESPISSN news flash..Why are the Bronco's so special?

They are pretty much are saying(If you read between the lines) that this will be resolved by the end of April.

Can you not read? It has nothing to do with ESPN. It's one station, a local station.

Christ, Raider fans just keep getting dumber and dumber.

Popps
03-31-2009, 09:57 AM

We can relate.

Maybe take a 6 month break and clear your head.

dEADmANwALKING
03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Can you not read? It has nothing to do with ESPN. It's one station, a local station.

Christ, Raider fans just keep getting dumber and dumber.

What jack off,it's the media in general I'm talking about ..IT REALLY DIDN'T NEED A COMMENT..AND I'M SURE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD A PANTIE ISSUE!

YOU'RE MY PET MONKEY FROM NOW ON BIOOOTCH!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 10:15 AM
What J-O,it's the media in general I'm talking about ..IT REALLY DIDN'T NEED A COMMENT..AND I'M SURE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD A PANTIE ISSUE!

YOU'RE MY PET MONKEY FROM NOW ON BIOOOTCH!

/yawn

Wake me when you make a point that anyone gives a **** about... besides you.

dEADmANwALKING
03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
**************ThatOneDenverMONKEYGuy**************

I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY STUPID POST !!!I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET YOU POST HERE!!NO DEBATE WITH ME DIPPY...YOU'RE NOW MY FAVORITE MONKEY!!

Man-Goblin
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM

I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY STUPID POST !!!I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET YOU POST HERE!!NO DEBATE WITH ME DIPPY...YOU'RE NOW MY FAVORITE MONKEY!!

LOL

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 10:34 AM

Hey look! The retard knows what a monkey is! How fun for all of us!

Why don't you talk about how unfair ESPN is to Great Great Grandpa Al again? That's certainly relevant!

You're right, there is no debate with you, "dippy." You're too much of a ****ing meth head to understand the words that are written on the page. Go scratch your meth scabs, Meth Mouth!

NFLBRONCO
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Nobody can find Jay anywhere he's not in TN anymore and he's not here is he looking looking for houses in Det NY Clev :). Maybe we need a pledge drive and hire a PI to find this guy.

Popps
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Nobody can find Jay anywhere he's not in TN anymore and he's not here is he looking looking for houses in Det NY Clev :). Maybe we need a pledge drive and hire a PI to find this guy.

I'd like to propose a gag order on you for questioning Jay.

This can't help the negotiations.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
I found DeADmaN's portrait!

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/oaklandraiders_2043_11038482

NFLBRONCO
03-31-2009, 11:17 AM

LOL Popps

bronco militia
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM

oh snap...who knew the Mane was the conduit for all Donk negotiations?!?!

:D

DenverBrit
03-31-2009, 12:54 PM
dEADmANwALKING

LOL @ the Kiddie type.

Blueflame
04-01-2009, 02:53 AM
... and now the truth comes out. While the Broncos were trying to gag the media (denying that anything newsworthy could happen before mandatory minicamp), they were actively seeking a trade for Cutler. They lie.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Heh, that was actually really funny. Nice work.

I made it. Eons ago.