montrose
03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Per ESPN.

Inkana7
03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
RIP, Lou.

JCMElway
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
A moment of silence is definitely in order. He was a very good coach for us in our fledgling years.

Spider
03-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Damn you Lou and you Half a loaf game ......... but time to let bygones be bygones..... you are forgiven Just next time go for the ****ing win .......

B-Love
03-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I named my fantasy football league after Lou and the trophy we hand out is the "Lou Saban Trophy".

We did this because of all the great one liners he had in that NFL Films stuff. Look for NFL Network to run a few clips of Lou this week. He was loved by NFL Films.

titan
03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Though Saban wasn't a winner in Denver he did alot for the franchise. He upgraded the team's offices and practice facilities (not Dove Valley standards but better than the crummy practice field they used to have outside of Bears Stadium). He drafted Floyd Little.

I was in elementary school at the time Saban was named head coach. The town was really excited about him coming, with his championships in Buffalo, thinking big time football had finally come to Denver. A friend of mine at Sabin Elementary in Denver called up a talk show at the time and the host said, "Saban is so popular they've already named a grade school after him!" (my school Sabin was named after an old nurse - but you get the point - the town was excited)

The fans quickly turned on Saban with one losing season after another, but he was instrumental in building a solid foundation for the Broncos.

Spider
03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Though Saban wasn't a winner in Denver he did alot for the franchise. He upgraded the team's offices and practice facilities (not Dove Valley standards but better than the crummy practice field they used to have outside of Bears Stadium). He drafted Floyd Little.

I was in elementary school at the time Saban was named head coach. The town was really excited about him coming, with his championships in Buffalo, thinking big time football had finally come to Denver. A friend of mine at Sabin Elementary in Denver called up a talk show at the time and the host said, "Saban is so popular they've already named a grade school after him!" (my school Sabin was named after an old nurse - but you get the point - the town was excited)

The fans quickly turned on Saban with one losing season after another, but he was instrumental in building a solid foundation for the Broncos.

I think the town turned when the rumor about Saban making Tombstone jackson play before he was ready .. alot of people that was around back then still blame Saban for cutting Jacksons career short ........ Like I say it is just a rumor ..

OBF1
03-29-2009, 02:34 PM
RIP Coach

Kaylore
03-29-2009, 02:42 PM
RIP Lou. You took us to a more respectable level, from an operations standpoint. Sorry we threw garbage on your lawn.

Spider
03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
wow .......... odd ..... okay

B-Love
03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
I think the town turned when the rumor about Saban making Tombstone jackson play before he was ready .. alot of people that was around back then still blame Saban for cutting Jacksons career short ........ Like I say it is just a rumor ..

Spider, that was Ralston that did that to Tombstone.

Lou loved Tombstone, but Tombstone hurt himself midway through the 71 season. A few games later Saban resigned.

When Ralston came on board in Training Camp 1972, he had Tombstone practice on an iffy knee, and Tombstone was less than 100% for sure.

Many blamed Ralston, had nothing to do with Lou.

B-Love
03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
An old schooler like me appreciates the story of his passing on the front page of theO-Mane for sure.

But whoever posted it, can you spell his last name correctly.

Its Saban not Sabin.

Spider
03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Spider, that was Ralston that did that to Tombstone.

Lou loved Tombstone, but Tombstone hurt himself midway through the 71 season. A few games later Saban resigned.

When Ralston came on board in Training Camp 1972, he had Tombstone practice on an iffy knee, and Tombstone was less than 100% for sure.

Many blamed Ralston, had nothing to do with Lou.
not the way I remember it ......
Jackson went to the Browns in 72

Spider
03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
So yeah it was Saban that was pushing Jackson

dEADmANwALKING
03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Great Champion AFL Coach,and he probably has the greatest NFL film clip ever..I just wish he could have seen the NFL Finally recognize the AFL with a little class like they seem to want to do this year for the 50th Anniversary.

B-Love
03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Spider, Tombstone played 3 or 4 games with Denver in 1972, before Ralston dealt him to Cleveland.

It was Ralston who rushed him too early in camp 72, then dealt him when he wasn't happy with his performance.

It's well chronicled in Alzado's book. It was Ralston dude.

Spider
03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Spider, Tombstone played 3 or 4 games with Denver in 1972, before Ralston dealt him to Cleveland.

It was Ralston who rushed him too early in camp 72, then dealt him when he wasn't happy with his performance.

It's well chronicled in Alzado's book. It was Ralston dude.
If you say so ...... I remember Saban , I remember something about practicing before he was ready in the early part of 72 .......
As I said it was a rumor , but there was something in the paper over it , I remember everyone being pissed off

Bronco Yoda
03-30-2009, 01:41 AM
I still have the football he signed for me as a kid. (

broncogary
03-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Saban was a riot. He always wore high top cleats on the sidelines, and it wasn't unusual for him to take off after the ref's when the final gun sounded. The players would usually tackle him first.

B-Love
03-30-2009, 08:29 AM
http://photos.denverpost.com/photoprojects/galleries/sportsgalleryV6.html#id=album-4852&num=1

Here is a nice slide show of some old photos of Saban. In this slide show you'll get an idea of his value. Lou really helped the Broncos become more professional in their operations. You'll see photos of Lou in a primitive version of a team store, making a donation to a local Denver area marching band, etc. Most historical retrospectives salute Lou as the first coach to make any attempts to bond the team and community.

Put your cursor over each photo for some photo detail.

And for the old school uniform lovers out there, it is Saban who is credited with designing and approving the famous red-orange jersey and royal blue D helmet look that so many of us loved for so many seasons. That uniform and color scheme is why I became a die hard Broncos fan.

RIP Lou, you were one of the unique characters of the game!!

B-Love
03-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Here is a statement from Pat Bowlen, where he does give Lou credit for the uniform and helmet design.

Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen made the following statement on the former Bronco's passing:

"Lou Saban should be credited as the individual who first brought respectability to the Denver Broncos during his five seasons as head coach in the late 1960s. Even though I was not here at the time, upon buying the Broncos in 1984 I began learning the history of the club and realized Lou's importance to this franchise. It was Lou who moved the Broncos into their first training facility and changed the team's helmet design to the style featuring the 'D' with the horse, a logo that became so symbolic with this franchise and its success for nearly 30 years. He had an illustrious and dramatic role in the generation of pro football that preceded this one. He was a great contributor to the game and will be missed by all."

Kaylore
03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
An old schooler like me appreciates the story of his passing on the front page of theO-Mane for sure.

But whoever posted it, can you spell his last name correctly.

Its Saban not Sabin.

Forgive a Final Fantasy junky.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/meridian/206/sabin.jpg

Meck77
02-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Watching some late night NFL network. Lou once fired the entire special teams unit at once. "They're killing me!". Makes McD look like a softy.

watermock
02-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Ever hear of Nick Saban?

DBroncos4life
02-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Ever hear of Nick Saban?

nope who is he....

watermock
02-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Nick Lou Saban is not the son of former NFL head coach Lou Saban. The two are cousins. His was born on October 31st 1951.

broncogary
02-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Watching some late night NFL network. Lou once fired the entire special teams unit at once. "They're killing me!". Makes McD look like a softy.

Way to post in existing threads, Meck. :thumbsup:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-22-2010, 07:28 AM
"They're KILLIN' me Wally, they're KILLIN' me!"

Rest in Peace, Coach Saban.

Smiling Assassin27
02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Guess Whitey finally had the last laugh...

With much respect, RIP Coach and thanks for your contribution to bronco-lore.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:yIGJ0wCvAWBBnM:http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/half%2520a%2520loaf.jpg

NeverBeenToDenver
02-22-2010, 11:36 AM
What is this loaf of bread stuff?

Broncofan_H
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/03/lou_saban_and_his_half-a-loaf.php

dsmoot
02-22-2010, 06:12 PM

This happened right after I moved to Denver. The aftermath was hilarious. A wonderful Bronco story. I too have grown to appreciate Lou's personality and what things he did bring to Denver. Too bad he couldn't turn Denver into a winner ... the talent was sooo thin.

broncosteven
02-22-2010, 06:55 PM

He settled for a tie vs the radiers rather than go for the Win. After the game he was quoted as saying " a half a loaf is better than none".

It lead to his downfall along with some questionable personnel moves including a bad trade for below avg QB Steve Ramsey among others.

Cito Pelon
02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Saban was a good coach, he did help put the Bronco's on the map. He drafted and fielded the first black QB in the pro's - Marlin Briscoe. Drafted Floyd Little.

Marlin Briscoe went on to be quite a stud, has two SB rings with the Dolphins.

Saban was OJ Simpson's HC in his glory years, then went to the NY Yankees as their GM for a couple years.

He was a major presence in Pro sports for many a year. RIP, Mr. Saban.