PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Schedule a Test and An Opportunity

rmsanger
03-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Much has been said about the current state of the team. Turnover at HC, OC, DC, and most of the defense has been gutted from last year. We have turmoil at QB, TE, and possibly our star WR. Management, Ownership, and the franchise QB don't seem to be operating on the same page.

The schedule looks to be the most brutal in years especially our out of conference matchups. In this modern society of "now" and a focus on the short-term, I would also be concerned for our chances to win a SB in the next 2 years albeit even make the playoffs this year.

I think we've got a real opportunity this year to bring character, heart, and passion back to our team. We need to get back to fundamentals on both offense and defense. There needs to be more consistency of play from everyone including our Pro-bowlers. Things such as gap assignment, tackling/wrapping up, blocks, and good ole' fashion up the gut running game.

We've got some dangerous weapons on offense to move the ball yet lack the ability to control the clock and stop the opposing run. If anything we will have the opportunity to face some good teams this year to learn/build for the future.

2011 and on looks bright!

BroncsRule
03-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Considering 2012 will hopefully be the year we hire a real coach, I suppose I agree.

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Considering 2012 will hopefully be the year we hire a real coach, I suppose I agree.

Funny how some folks give MCD zero chance.

Paladin
03-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah. Hilarious.

lostknight
03-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Funny how some people think that McDaniels has already proven himself.

Broncosfreak_56
03-28-2009, 12:21 PM

Who exactly would that be?

tsiguy96
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM

nobody has ever once said that, however the vast majority of intelligent fans are willing to let him show what he can do on the football field over the next 2 years.

Archer81
03-28-2009, 12:39 PM

He hasnt. But its ridiculous to pray for failure. What type of fan does that?

:Broncos:

BroncsRule
03-28-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not praying for failure. Far from it.

AS OF TODAY I'm predicting failure, but that's just logical.

Sad, but logical.

And no, that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not praying for failure. Far from it.

AS OF TODAY I'm predicting failure, but that's just logical.Sad, but logical.

And no, that doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

No it's not logical nobody has any idea what's going to happen this season but you are mailing it in early i guess.

SportinOne
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Guys, this isn't baseball. Atlanta went from disaster to playoff-caliber overnight. If McDaniels is who Pat Bowlen thinks he is, we'll be alright and fast. Without Cutler, though, it gets a little tougher.

Arkie
03-28-2009, 12:59 PM

This is how it reads. You said "hopefully" we hire a new coach. We only do that if this one fails, so it's like you're saying hopefully McD fails.

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Iam keeping an open mind on this whole thing and hope ( both sides) can admit guilt they they both handled situations incorrectly and put this all aside and play some bronco football.

tsiguy96
03-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Guys, this isn't baseball. Atlanta went from disaster to playoff-caliber overnight. If McDaniels is who Pat Bowlen thinks he is, we'll be alright and fast. Without Cutler, though, it gets a little tougher.

not necessarily. considering the value of cutler, we would get atleast 2 firsts. sign a veteran QB or young QB and mcdaniels could work his magic to make them serviceable, we would have upgraded many important spots via draft picks that we otherwise would not be able to. wed lose cutler, but be upgraded in many other spots. however, we are never gonna lose cutler since no one will give up taht value for him.

BroncsRule
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
This is how it reads. You said "hopefully" we hire a new coach. We only do that if this one fails, so it's like you're saying hopefully McD fails.

OK, I see how that reads now. It was a smartass quip, but I'll stand by it.

Unfortunately, I only see dark clouds on the horizon. Near to mid term future looks bleak to me:

- The brutal schedule.

- The Cutler mess.

- The sacking of the Goodmans, the promotion of Xanders and the hiring of Keith Kidd.

- Mike Nolan as "the Answer" to our Defensive woes.

- The increasingly creepy feeling I get every time I see McDoogie open his pie hole.

- The fact that no 32 year old rookie HC has ever taken his team to the playoffs - and no 33 year old Sophomore coach has either.

- The utter failure of every other Sith Apprentice as HC..

I hope for better things for the Broncos down the road, though - and I see hiring a real coach at some point as fundamental to that process.

Arkie
03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
- The fact that no 32 year old rookie HC has ever taken his team to the playoffs - and no 33 year old Sophomore coach has either.

true, you're right about that. It's a sample size of one Lane Kiffin, and he didn't take the Raiders to the playoffs during his rookie or sophomore seasons.

atomicbloke
03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
true, you're right about that. It's a sample size of one Lane Kiffin, and he didn't take the Raiders to the playoffs during his rookie or sophomore seasons.

Vince Lombardi couldn't have taken those pathetic Raider teams to the playoffs.

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Vince Lombardi couldn't have taken those pathetic Raider teams to the playoffs.

Makes ya wonder what shanahan could have done if al davis wasn't such an impatient a-hole i think the raiders had the right coach 3 times and al f**** two of them over and their fans out of 2 possiable SBs.

DenverBrit
03-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I hope for better things for the Broncos down the road, though - and I see hiring a real coach at some point as fundamental to that process.

At least wait until he's coached a season or two before deciding he's not a real coach.
The condition of the defense guarantees a couple of seasons of re-tooling no matter who the HC is.

I want McDaniels to succeed.
Why? Because I'm a Broncos fan.

Pick Six
03-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I trust that Mr. Bowlen made a good hire. I will continue to think that way until I see the results on the field...

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 03:53 PM
At least wait until he's coached a game or two before deciding he's not a real coach.
The condition of the defense guarantees a couple of seasons of re-tooling no matter who the HC is.

I want McDaniels to succeed.
Why? Because I'm a Broncos fan.

Iam giving him two seasons to fit in giving him one game is flat stupid ( not saying you are stupid) but some folks are going to start coming unglued after ther first loss.

DenverBrit
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Iam giving him two seasons to fit in giving him one game is flat stupid ( not saying you are stupid) but some folks are going to start coming unglued after ther first loss.

Oops, I meant season or two. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbs:

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Ya know i was giving shanahan 2 more seasons before he got canned to take us deep into the playoffs before i was going to start asking for his dove valley pass after that. Sadly that didn't get to happen but it's kinda funny IF MCD can keep this program afloat we are still on the same schedule IMO.

barryr
03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
I think rational fans are waiting to see what happens and at least wait for McDaniels to coach a single game before coming up with "he failed." The girl scouts of the forums are living in '97-98 and think this team was on the verge of being that good so should have kept Shanahan.

Shanahan had 3 years to improve this defense. This team did not make the playoffs the last 3 years and only won 1 playoff game the last 10. That's not exactly stellar production and most coaches would only get 5 years with that record, not 10.

Rock Chalk
03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I dont like Obama but Im not rooting for him to fail. If he fails, it ****s millions over.

Its kind of the same with McD. I didnt want him as our HC, I was against it all the way. I voted for Spags but apparently my vote didnt get in to Bowlen intime. As it is, McD won the job and now I hope he succeeds.

Im going to give him 3 years. Shanahan left 2/3rds of this team in such a disaster that its not fair to give him only two years to fix the mess that Shanahan left. The offense could use some red zone and turnover work as well. But Defense and Special Teams are the worst I ahve ever seen them in and thats not a 1 or 2 year fix. No matter who is coaching.

Arkie
03-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Ya know i was giving shanahan 2 more seasons before he got canned to take us deep into the playoffs before i was going to start asking for his dove valley pass after that. Sadly that didn't get to happen but it's kinda funny IF MCD can keep this program afloat we are still on the same schedule IMO.

I'm still upset that Shanny was fired. The way I look at it. Pat can't hire a proven winner that knows what its like to take a team all the way. Many people were wanting/predicting Bill Cowher, but if Bowlen wanted a proven winner(or a "real" coach), he already had the best in Shanny. He's the #1 coaching candidate for the next few years if he wants it. We already had him and he was familiar with winning in Denver.

McDaniels is going to be great. Pat is just betting it will be now instead of later. Shanny was in the fast lane to greatness, and he wasn't at McD's level at age 32. Maybe Denver is nothing but McDaniels guinea pig. All great coaches start somewhere. He'll be a real coach and "hopefully" before 2012.