PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone seen The Wrestler?

montrose
03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I may a bit biased from my brief time working behind-the-scenes at Indy shows but I was blown away at how good this movie was. Wanted to get some thoughts from others who saw the movie, specifically those with little knowledge of the wrestling business.

Man-Goblin
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I've heard nothing but good things, but couldn't find a theater around here that had it. DVD yet?

montrose
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I've heard nothing but good things, but couldn't find a theater around here that had it. DVD yet?

I think it comes out on DVD soon, I live right by Tamaraq Square in Denver that shows movies at the in-between stage when they're out of most theaters but not yet on DVD. Also, I'm not sure if it was an independent movie but it sure had that feel to it.

Obviously Mickey Rourke is getting killer reviews for it, and rightfully so, but I was astounded at how accurately they were able to nail the nuances of the business. I don't believe the writer had a background in wrestling but he must've spent some significant time going to shows and talking with wrestlers because the scenes were so accurate it could've been a documentary as far as I was concerned.

spdirty
03-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Heard nothing but good things about it. Ill probably get it the day it comes out on dvd.

Killericon
I kept waiting for a plot-related turning point, and it never came. Nothing but character development, which seemed bad, but when the ending rolled around, I was overwhelmed. "Moving" doesn't begin to describe the ending.

Man-Goblin
I think it comes out on DVD soon, I live right by Tamaraq Square in Denver that shows movies at the in-between stage when they're out of most theaters but not yet on DVD. Also, I'm not sure if it was an independent movie but it sure had that feel to it.

Obviously Mickey Rourke is getting killer reviews for it, and rightfully so, but I was astounded at how accurately they were able to nail the nuances of the business. I don't believe the writer had a background in wrestling but he must've spent some significant time going to shows and talking with wrestlers because the scenes were so accurate it could've been a documentary as far as I was concerned.

Apparently, Nicholas Cage was supposed to originally play the main role, but the director wanted Rourke. I heard the studio significantly cut the budget when that move was made.

Majik
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
A touching character driven story. I've seen it twice, and loved it both times. As far as the accuracy of the portrayal of the wrestling world, it was very well done and agree with you montrose it could pass as a documentary.

BabyTO
03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Fantastic movie, great acting by Rourke. Have yet to hear somebody trash this movie...

TDmvp
03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Lame that Penn and Milk beat Rourke for the Oscar.

Pick Six
03-25-2009, 11:16 PM
It was in my hometown theater for a total of one week. I DEFINITELY want to see this movie when it comes out on DVD...

Arkansas Bronco
03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Like most Ive heard nothing but very good reviews and Ive heard as well Mickey Rourke was Oscar worthy.

Los Broncos
03-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I finally went and seen WatchMen, that movie blew my mind.

slyinky
03-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I thought it was one of the best movies of the year and I am not at all a fan of professional wrestling (something I would never share with my cousin, who wrestled professionally in the 70's.) I thought the acting was superb and enjoyed the realistic portrayal of a troubled man without the typical Hollywood contrivances.

GoBroncos84
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
The best movie I have seen this year, I absolutely loved it. I am an old school wrestling fan, I don't watch it much anymore. It reminds me of that documentary Behind the Mat or Beyond the Mat, I own it but dont remember the title. It follows Mick Foley, Tony Atlas, Terry Funk, and Jake the Snake Roberts. I was enthralled, Rourke should have won the oscar

TheReverend
03-26-2009, 07:09 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the movie.

montrose
03-26-2009, 07:16 AM
The best movie I have seen this year, I absolutely loved it. I am an old school wrestling fan, I don't watch it much anymore. It reminds me of that documentary Behind the Mat or Beyond the Mat, I own it but dont remember the title. It follows Mick Foley, Tony Atlas, Terry Funk, and Jake the Snake Roberts. I was enthralled, Rourke should have won the oscar

That was Beyond the Mat, although I don't remember Tony Atlas in it.

The Joker
03-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Was a huge wrestling fan for many years, went to some ROH shows when I was over in the US a few years back.

One thing that really impressed me was the way they were able to capture the atmosphere you get at an Indy wrestling event, the sense of camaraderie between the fans and wrestlers, the banter between the two groups.

Also I'm sure it was a bit of an eye-opener for a few people who just give you the "wrestlings fake" attitude. While obviously its scripted and the guys are working together rather than against each other, they put themselves through an awful lot for the sake of their profession.

Anyone who liked the film and hasn't read Mick Foley's autobiography 'Have a Nice Day', I'd thoroughly recommend it. Brilliant read, both entertaining and eye opening.

Anyway, Rourke was immense in it and I think its a real shame he didn't win the Oscar. Penn was very good in Milk but you just got the sense that Rourke went to so much effort to capture the personality you'd expect from a grizzled old veteran wrestler. In the end he pulled it off fantastically.

vancejohnson82
03-26-2009, 07:49 AM
unbelievable film...and i say "film" because "movie" doesnt give it the credit it deserves

two things

1) the budget was cut when Nicholas Cage wasnt cast to be in the film....great job by the director of sticking to his guns and not budging from his vision

2) it was filmed in NJ....a lot of the extras and the people werent even "real" actors....they were just people grabbed off the street and at indy wrestling shows who gave their time....really remarkable when that is taken into account

Mogulseeker
03-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I may a bit biased from my brief time working behind-the-scenes at Indy shows but I was blown away at how good this movie was. Wanted to get some thoughts from others who saw the movie, specifically those with little knowledge of the wrestling business.

I have zero knowledge of the wrestling business, which is why I did not intend on seeing this film, but it seems that people into the indie things that I like are raving over it, so perhaps I will.

Majik
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
That was Beyond the Mat, although I don't remember Tony Atlas in it.

Maybe New Jack?

montrose
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe New Jack?

It was New Jack! That crazy @$$ mofo, I've been hoping to find his shoot somewhere online.

Tombstone RJ
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Absolutely loved it. The best movie, by far, of the year. I don't know jack crap about pro wrestling, other than it's scripted, but now I kinda dig it. This movie made the wrestlers real people, guys who put on "a show" for their endearing fans. Class acts.

This is why I hate Hollywood and the Ocars: THE WRESTLER SHOULD HAVE WON AT LEAST 2 OSCARS. And Slumbdog Millionaire should have won absolutely no more than ONE oscar.

Complete and utter BS on the Acadamy's part.

End rant.

RunSilentRunDeep
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Haven't seen it yet. It comes out on Blu-ray April 21. Bottom line: Do I get to see Marisa Tomei naked?

Tombstone RJ
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Haven't seen it yet. It comes out on Blu-ray April 21. Bottom line: Do I get to see Marisa Tomei naked?

Yes, yes you do. ;)

Rock Chalk
03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Im not too big on Indy films but I keep hearing good things about this movie. Maybe I'll pirate it. If its good I will buy it whenver it comes on DVD.

MechanicalBull
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM

I thought the same thing. I have a friend that is a ref in a decent size indy fed and I've been a fan of wrestling so I know the ins and outs of it.

After we saw it we wondered if the non wrestling fan would get it. I think it would still be an enjoyable film but wouldn't be as good or it would open up people's eyes to see what really goes on in the wrestling business in places not called WWE. It was pretty much a documentary of an Indy wrestler.

Dagmar
03-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Lame that Penn and Milk beat Rourke for the Oscar.

Not really. Rourke essentially played himself (even writing the movies big speech himself), Sean Penn completely immersed himself and became that role.

Just because you don't like the gays...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/betsythesheep/2276473379_2eb8ef3368.jpg

montrose
03-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I thought the same thing. I have a friend that is a ref in a decent size indy fed and I've been a fan of wrestling so I know the ins and outs of it.

After we saw it we wondered if the non wrestling fan would get it. I think it would still be an enjoyable film but wouldn't be as good or it would open up people's eyes to see what really goes on in the wrestling business in places not called WWE. It was pretty much a documentary of an Indy wrestler.

Yeah I'm not sure what the non-wrestling fan takes away from this beyond the human interest angle of Ram, but for me - I was just astounded at how clearly they nailed everything from the look of the fans, to the look of the workers to the feel of the territory. In a way it documents an Indy wrestler, although in this case it's more of a has-been forced to work the circuit. Reminds me of Jake Roberts in Beyond the Mat, it's so sad but a way of life in that business. I've heard some pretty crazy stories, stuff you'd never believe in any other walk of life, but in the world of pro wrestling you just kind of shake your head in amazement because chances are it's true.