PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth "Flashed His Lights" Before Killing Pedestrian

SportinOne
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
W T F (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4014292)

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth said he flashed his car's headlights to warn a pedestrian before fatally striking a man in Miami Beach last month, according to a report released by police.

The report released Tuesday also said the pedestrian, 59-year-old Mario Reyes, wasn't in a crosswalk when Stallworth's Bentley hit him.

According to the report, Stallworth told officers he flashed his lights to try to warn Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after getting off work around 7:15 a.m. March 14.

Police said Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone. They are investigating whether alcohol played a role in the accident. No charges have been filed against Stallworth pending the outcome of blood tests.

...Lock him up.

bronco militia
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
he flashed his lights and then hit him?

wtf!

chadta
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
im feel bad for him, im so sick of this god damn pedestrians have the right of way crap, use your head, look before you cross the street, we have stop lights every 500 feet to make sure there is one close enough that the lazy people will use them, and they still cross in between the lights. it sucks that the guy died, but im sorry unless dante was drunk i dont blame him at all.

hades
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
he flashed his lights and then hit him?

wtf!

Ni kidding, why not hit the brake instead? If you had that much time, you should have been able to stop.

gyldenlove
03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Ni kidding, why not hit the brake instead? If you had that much time, you should have been able to stop.

That would be the sensical thing to do

Northman
03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
im feel bad for him, im so sick of this god damn pedestrians have the right of way crap, use your head, look before you cross the street, we have stop lights every 500 feet to make sure there is one close enough that the lazy people will use them, and they still cross in between the lights. it sucks that the guy died, but im sorry unless dante was drunk i dont blame him at all.

I agree. Peds suck. Just a larger version of roadkill.

gyldenlove
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM

I hate how people have the right of way over bullets. If I want to shoot around inside the mall people should just duck, it is not like they can't hear it.

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah I read that. Hey stupid, next time try the brakes instead of lights. It's obvious, Stallworth feeling entitled, felt the pedestrian should move faster, how dare he block me and make me slow down, then before he knew it boom he had killed him.

I'm smelling prison for Stallworth. I guess Lelie will have a better career then him after all.

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Well for that then the almighty pro football player would have to slow his Bentley down for a lowly bus rider/pedestrian trying to make his way.

**** Stallworth, drunk, driving fast, flashing high beams instead of hitting brakes. Send this moron to prison for at least 5 yrs.

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Remember Vick didn't even kill anyone. He killed some dogs. If you go to prison for fighting dogs then how long should manslaughter get you?

Northman
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Remember Vick didn't even kill anyone. He killed some dogs. If you go to prison for fighting dogs then how long should manslaughter get you?

Depends i guess. The Goverment trys to make you believe that if your under the influence it wasnt done on purpose hence the manslaughter charge most of the time in DUI cases.

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM

I agree with you about pedestrians and right of way, but come on...this means he saw him and certainly soon enough to stop.

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM

It wasn't dog fighting...it was violating interstate commerce law.

Doggcow
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I hate how people have the right of way over bullets. If I want to shoot around inside the mall people should just duck, it is not like they can't hear it.

LOL owned.

chadta
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM

ok ill get the crayons out for ya, i understand things may be different down there, but up here its legal to drive on a road, while its not legal to shoot a gun in the mall. I can only assume that in florida its legal to drive on a road, i mean that is what its for, now if you had said people get in the way of bullets in the shooting range i would agree with you.

DomCasual
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't know what else he could have done. ???

Finding this out changes everything, in my book. If he had just run him down with no warning, then I would have little sympathy for him. But he flashed his lights, and stuff.

houghtam
03-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Yeah sorry. Gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. Even if he wasn't drunk, he was traveling well over the posted speed. Anyone who knows anything about traffic safety will tell you that that 10 MPH was likely the difference between life and death, just as if he had been drunk, the split second reaction time that the alcohol impaired would have been the difference, as well.

When you're driving a 1 ton weapon on wheels, *you've* got to be the responsible one.

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM

Whatever

crazyhorse
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Who says the guys wasnt already hitting the breaks when he flashed?

USMCBladerunner
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

only because the local DA didn't have the spine to pile on...

mr007
03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm by no means attempting to defend Stallworth here, but I can't imagine it being all that hard to avoid a vehicle if you're paying any sort of a attention to what's going on around you.

USMCBladerunner
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Jaywalking is bad mmmkayyyy...but vehicular manslaughter under the influence of alcohol is not excusable, much less something to be pitied

Rock Chalk
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Not taking Stallworth's back here but, how dumb do you have to be to continue walking in the road when a car is coming AND they flashed their lights?

Deer die that way and deer are stupid. Are you too?

USMCBladerunner
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm by no means attempting to defend Stallworth here, but I can't imagine it being all that hard to avoid a vehicle if you're paying any sort of a attention to what's going on around you.

Maybe, I also can't imagine it being all that hard to avoid hitting and killing a pedestiran if you're not speeding and not driving under the influence of alcohol.

Rock Chalk
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe, I also can't imagine it being all that hard to avoid hitting and killing a pedestiran if you're not speeding and not driving under the influence of alcohol.

Agreed, doesnt change the fact that deer are still stupid.

houghtam
03-25-2009, 03:00 PM

QFT.

:thumbs:

snowspot66
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Because if you are going to hit somebody you hit the breaks and slam the horn. Nobody thinks about their lights.

mr007
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM

There have been numerous times I've almost hit a pedestrian because they're doing something stupid and it wasn't easy missing them despite being sober.

Rock Chalk
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
There have been numerous times I've almost hit a pedestrian because they're doing something stupid and it wasn't easy missing them despite being sober.

Pedestrians certainly dont always make it easy to keep me from killing them. Im terrified my arm is going to jerk the wheel right into them just because they are being a moron.

That being said, Stallworth is going to jail and deservedly so.

SportinOne
03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I had to slam on my brakes for a guy just yesterday, AND it was raining cats and dogs. The idiot just took off sprinting across the street while I had a green light and was fast approaching the intersection. Had i not violently hammered on the brake with my foot he would have been killed for sure. I also steered slightly to the direction he was not running, but I wasn't about to go head on with the other lane. Looking back, though, I probably should have just flashed the lights. Natural selection right?

Or, you could just have a little compassion for your fellow man and understand that, while some people are just stupid, they are still people and don't deserve to be bludgeoned by the front end of your vehicle for lack of intelligence.

Rock Chalk
03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I had to slam on my brakes for a guy just yesterday, AND it was raining cats and dogs. The idiot just took off sprinting across the street while I had a green light and was fast approaching the intersection. Had i not violently hammered on the brake with my foot he would have been killed for sure. I also steered slightly to the direction he was not running, but I wasn't about to go head on with the other lane. Looking back, though, I probably should have just flashed the lights. Natural selection right?

Or, you could just have a little compassion for your fellow man and understand that, while some people are just stupid, they are still people and don't deserve to be bludgeoned by the front end of your vehicle for lack of intelligence.

Clearly you have never driven in Houston :)

UberBroncoMan
03-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Well the pedestrian as a ****ing retard and his death doesn't really upset me due to the fact he should know what he was doing is illegal and stupid.

That said, the fact Dante actually had time to flash his lights instead of hitting his breaks as opposed to hitting the stupid pedestrian without really being aware there was one there (do to dark clothing in a poorly lit area, or the guy literally running in front of his car too fast to do anything)... Dante should go to prison.

As far as I'm concerned the pedestrian was stupid enough to die and Dante was stupid enough to hit him even though he could have avoided.

I will say this though... there are times I see these idiots and I have to stop where I wish I could run over their inconsiderate asses. So for that I don't think Dante should get life or anything huge like that... maybe a year or two.

If the guy wasn't in the road illegally this wouldn't have happened so the first fault was the pedestrian and the 2nd was Dante's.

Lets hope this teaches other idiot sheep what happens when you don't cross legally... nah, people won't learn.

Los Broncos
03-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Little is still playing, so aparently no jail time.

DomCasual
03-25-2009, 03:30 PM
At least he warned the guy.

I think most murders would be justifiable, if the perpetrator would just give a little warning before the murder.

Orenthal: "Hey Nicole! I'm a loaded weapon right now. I'm seriously pissed off, man! And what's worse, I have this big, old knife! I just wanted to let you know."

Nicole Brown Simpson: "No, OJ! Don't do it!"

Orenthal: "Okay, you asked for it, b****!"

Seriously, wouldn't you feel at least a little sympathy for him, in this situation? I would. ???

Tombstone RJ
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Not taking Stallworth's back here but, how dumb do you have to be to continue walking in the road when a car is coming AND they flashed their lights?

I'm guessing the dead guy never saw the car, nor the lights. He was in a hurry to catch a bus and he probably thought the lane was clear when he took off.

Questions for Donte: You saw the guy right? You had time to flash your lights, right? Why not hit the breaks AND the horn?

2KBack
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Just as a thought, is it possible Dante flashed his lights at the guy when it LOOKED like he might try and cross as a warning not to? He might have misinterpreted that as a go ahead as well.

Obviously lock him up if alcohol is involved. Otherwise I see, just from the info given, that there could have just been a tragic mistake.

Los Broncos
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM
And doesn't a Bently have like a top of the line braking system?

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing the dead guy never saw the car, nor the lights. He was in a hurry to catch a bus and he probably thought the lane was clear when he took off.

Questions for Donte: You saw the guy right? You had time to flash your lights, right? Why not hit the breaks AND the horn?

Also was he talking on his cell phone, how fast were you going, and have you ever seen death race 200?

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
And doesn't a Bently have like a top of the line braking system?

yes it does but like most vehicles you have to press the pedal before you run the dude over.

Los Broncos
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
yes it does but like most vehicles you have to press the pedal before you run the dude over.

So he has no excuse for not braking, great.

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
So he has no excuse for not braking, great.

There is a chance the victim was being stupid, but when your speeding, drunk, and have time to flash your lights, it doesn't look good. Throw in the dude being flat dead and you have a real problem. Make it a star athlete and MADD is going to want an example made of him. They are probably already lobbying the DA to file charges of manslaughter.

ro_50
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Has it ever been documented if Stallworth ever called 911? The story states severall 911 calls were placed but did Stallworth ever pull over and call 911?

DBroncos4life
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Because it wasn't in the story so we get to now jump to our own conclusion about what really happned. There was no mention about him not getting road head either so that may have had a part in the accident as well.

Popps
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I'd imagine the vehicle forensics might come into play, here. I'd say the point at which he hit the brakes would be crucial evidence.

I don't get it. Did he warn him and try to stop? Did he just misjudge it? There's no way he tried to hit the man. Well, I shouldn't say NO way. But, seems unlikely.

Did he try to put a scare into him and ****ed up?

Very weird story.

ZONA
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
People are idiots I tell ya.

The other day I am going across an intersection and I see 2 young girls (probably junior high age) sprinting across the crosswalk. The light was green for me and had been for awhile. Of course I saw them as they started running from the other side of the road coming onto my side. I slowed and honked so they knew it was wrong. There was a car wash and young kids everywhere and there is an older man on the side where the kids were running to and my windows are down and he yells at me to not be rude. What a stupid MF. Yeah, just let your kids run across the street with on coming traffic dude. Maybe one day when one of them actually gets hit he won't be so worried about a rude person honking, he will be telling his kids when and when not to run across the street.

But I can't see how dude could flash lights and not have time to break. Unless he saw the guy on the side of the road and flashed as a warning he was coming and guy didn't see it and ran into the road. I bet that's probably what happened. I doubt alcohol was in play if he flashed his lights. Most drunks don't flash their lights.

Taco John
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
It takes a lot of balls to say "F- this guy, I'm not stopping. Here's my lights b----, get the f--- out of the way in time or die."

chadta
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
are you guys really making a big deal over the speeding part ? it was 10 miles an hour, that wont even get you pulled over up here.

and how do they know he was going 10 miles an hour over the limit ? the only really accurate way to know is to measure the skid marks, if they are going by stallworths word, not only was he flashing lights, but he was looking down at his speedo before actually hitting the brakes in which case he is just as stupid as the jaywalker.

as long as we automatically blame the driver for any car vs person crash the dumb people will continue to walk in the road thinking they have the right of way, without so much as looking for oncoming traffic.

My drivers ed teacher said something, "as a pedestrian you have the right of way, are you prepared to die to defend it" your going to lose that collision so pay attention where your going.

Northman
03-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Whats sad is we have people here in MD who look at you coming while they cross the street (not even in the crosswalk) and continue to walk, not jog, or run, WALK. As if they are daring you too hit them.

DBroncos4life
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
10 miles an over not that big of a deal
10 miles an over + Drinking + killing a dude = a big deal

Bronx33
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
are you guys really making a big deal over the speeding part ? it was 10 miles an hour, that wont even get you pulled over up here.

and how do they know he was going 10 miles an hour over the limit ? the only really accurate way to know is to measure the skid marks, if they are going by stallworths word, not only was he flashing lights, but he was looking down at his speedo before actually hitting the brakes in which case he is just as stupid as the jaywalker.

as long as we automatically blame the driver for any car vs person crash the dumb people will continue to walk in the road thinking they have the right of way, without so much as looking for oncoming traffic.

My drivers ed teacher said something, "as a pedestrian you have the right of way, are you prepared to die to defend it" your going to lose that collision so pay attention where your going.

They can determine speed by how far a person is thrown after impact and skid marks are also a indicator and down here 10 over the speed limit will get you pulled over.

Sir_Robin
03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
According to Road & Track an 08 Bentley Continental GT brakes from 60 to 0 in about 115 feet. The article stated that "Stallworth stopped a few feet away." Assuming he was actually going about 50 it seems fair to guess he was braking a good 80 or so feet before hitting the guy.

Beantown Bronco
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Stallworth's lawyer should be disbarred if he's the one advising him that this was a good thing to say/admit.

DomCasual
03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Stallworth's lawyer should be disbarred if he's the one advising him that this was a good thing to say/admit.

I know. I still don't really get that one. I see nothing but bad that can come from said admission.

And it's almost like he's saying it as if it makes it defensible. It's like stabbing someone, having the police say, "I'm assuming you just got caught up in the moment and reacted, right," and responding, "No way, man - I've been wanting to kill that SOB for a long time!"

Seriously - what a rocket scientist! What a brain surgeon! What a rocket surgeon!

hades
03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Agreed, doesnt change the fact that deer are still stupid.

Well, not all deer, this one avoided the car and made the car pay for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWW3x_iVcSA

hades
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Most cars now have a "black box" that keeps stats on almost everything. They can terll if the brakes were applied, speed, if a turn signal was on, etc. It doesn't log data forever, but it does recycle and keep recent events.

A few months ago a guy in Dallas ran a redlight in his car, hit a minivan with a family of 5 in it. Killed everyone in the minivan. His black box showed he was going 90 MPH, and that was a Pontiac of soem type.

Bronco Bob
03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah sorry. Gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. Even if he wasn't drunk, he was traveling well over the posted speed. Anyone who knows anything about traffic safety will tell you that that 10 MPH was likely the difference between life and death, just as if he had been drunk, the split second reaction time that the alcohol impaired would have been the difference, as well.

When you're driving a 1 ton weapon on wheels, *you've* got to be the responsible one.

Most cops won't even give you a ticket unless you're going at least
11 MPH over the speed limit. The speed limits are sort of designed
with the assumption that most people will drive a little bit faster than
the posted limit.
The last time I got a speeding ticket I was going 75 in a 55 zone,
and the cop admitted the only reason he pulled me over was because
I was riding the bumper of the guy in front of me. He said if I was
just speeding, he wouldn't have even bothered to stop me.
He even gave me the choice of taking a speeding ticket or a ticket for
following too closely. Took the speeding ticket, went to traffic school,
and didn't even get any points or insurance increase.

houghtam
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
The speed limits are sort of designed
the posted limit.

Not true.

Just because cops won't pull you over for doing 10 over doesn't mean a damn thing. If you hit someone and it gets taken to court, no judge on earth is going to say "you were only going 10 over, no worries. The speed limit is designed to assume you're going to be driving faster anyway."

City planners, etc. don't sit down and go "Hmm, let's make this stretch of Main St. near the hospital a 35mph zone, so people will drive by at 45." The speed limit is just that...the maximum speed you should be driving in that area. Whether or not cops pull you over for doing more than that is irrelevant...just as irrelevant as cops not normally ticketing people for jaywalking.

On a related note, read the book Traffic...it'll give you some interesting insight into why people drive the way they do. As he says in the book, for those of us who aren't brain surgeons, driving is probably the single most complex thing we do every day. As I said in a different thread, when I'm driving, I err on the side of caution. Not because I don't want to get pulled over, but because even for the most alert, sober person, a few miles an hour can make a difference between avoiding a collision and ending up in traction, or worse.

Jason in LA
03-25-2009, 10:50 PM

That was my exact thought when I read all the posts up to this one. The story does not imply that he wasn't using his breaks. I don't see where people got that from. I'd say it's silly to think that he didn't slam on his breaks.

If he was drunk then he should go to jail. If he wasn't drunk, then it's a sad accident and the guy should not have been jaywalking.

chadta
03-26-2009, 04:56 AM
10 miles an over + Drinking + killing a dude = a big deal

i didnt see anywhere that it said he was drinking, and the dood wouldnt have been killed if he wasnt jay walking, so charge dante with speeding, and the dead guy with jay walking, and move on.

my 5 year old knows to look both ways before crossing the street.

WolfpackGuy
03-26-2009, 05:31 AM
I guess flashing your lights makes it okay.
That is the worst excuse ever.

Garcia Bronco
03-26-2009, 06:54 AM
It takes a lot of balls to say "F- this guy, I'm not stopping. Here's my lights b----, get the f--- out of the way in time or die."

Yep

JJG
03-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Just as a thought, is it possible Dante flashed his lights at the guy when it LOOKED like he might try and cross as a warning not to? He might have misinterpreted that as a go ahead as well.

Obviously lock him up if alcohol is involved. Otherwise I see, just from the info given, that there could have just been a tragic mistake.

It could definately be misinterpreted. People flash their lights all the time at 4-way stops to signal the other driver to go ahead. In a case like this, the jwalker may have seen it and thought the car saw him and was going to stop for him. It's a dumb assumption, but it may have triggered the whole thing.

JJG
03-26-2009, 07:03 AM
i didnt see anywhere that it said he was drinking, and the dood wouldnt have been killed if he wasnt jay walking, so charge dante with speeding, and the dead guy with jay walking, and move on.

my 5 year old knows to look both ways before crossing the street.

I bet your five year old also knows to hit the brakes when a pedestrian is in the street.

Beantown Bronco
03-26-2009, 07:07 AM
As a pedestrian in the City of Boston, I probably cross about 15-20 busy intersections on my way to my train station every afternoon.....facing some of the country's worst and most aggressive drivers. I have yet to even come close to getting hit by a car or truck and, unless I was a cripple, I can't see it ever being even close to an issue. Why? Because all you have to do is take two steps to avoid an oncoming car, unless of course they swerve at you.

If you truly believe that you're willing to sacrifice your life to prove that pedestrians always have the right of way; or if you can't take the time to pay attention even a little bit or take two steps to get out of the way of an oncoming car, you don't deserve to share the same space as the rest of us. Insensitive? Perhaps. Reality? I think so.

STBumpkin
03-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Most cops won't even give you a ticket unless you're going at least
11 MPH over the speed limit. The speed limits are sort of designed
the posted limit.

This is because the fine is too small for any less. The county won't make enough on the fine to justify the stop. It is a fiscal discision made by the county. Here in washington, they will stop you for 3 or more over the limit (though most of the cops will wait until 5 over) because the fines are so high.

gyldenlove
03-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Holy crap, that is a pungent load of wrong there.

I live in London, Ontario and trust me, even in Ontario you get pulled over if you do 10 MPH over the limit, if you don't believe try to run back and forth through Hamilton at 65.

Secondly, there is no situation ever, ever, where a car has the right of way over a pedestrian. That means it is always the drivers fault, the driver ALWAYS has to stop or evade. The reason is of course that the driver can kill a pedestrian, a pedestrian can't kill a driver.

When they allow me to carry a .44 with AP bullets around I will stop jay-walking, but I will start blowing the head off drivers who block the sidewalk or crosswalk on sight.

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Secondly, there is no situation ever, ever, where a car has the right of way over a pedestrian. That means it is always the drivers fault, the driver ALWAYS has to stop or evade. The reason is of course that the driver can kill a pedestrian, a pedestrian can't kill a driver.

This couldn't be a more false statement. Pedestrians dart in front of cars every day and often there's nothing the driver can do about it to avoid them. Those drivers are either never charged or found to be innocent in court if they can show evidence to that effect. I'm not guessing here. I know this to be a fact.