PDA

View Full Version : Goodell says he has seen no advantage for west coast teams going east

lex
03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
...what a lie. Everyone knows teams from the west have struggled more when going east...more than teams from the east going west. If you have ever gone to Europe you can understand why. The jetlag is far worse going east. But this clown implements a rule to protect the east coast teams from going west but when asked if theres any reciprocal consideration for teams in the west, he blatantly lies that there is no evidence to suggest theres an advantage for east coast teams. Are you kidding me???!!! Anyone who wagers on games, knows the bicoastal trip for western teams should be factored in to wagering. Its been like that for a long time. It reminds me of 1997 when we had that blizzard in late October and the only plane that left was the Broncos team plane. Does the league office in NY give us a break by moving the game back? No. We won anyway but it was still wrong.

Goodells a fraud.

gyldenlove
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
West coast teams playing those 1 pm games on the east coast have a remarkable losing record over the last many years.

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
This is all a bunch of bull****. I don't care what time the game is, where it is, or how long it takes to get there. Put a helmet on and hurt somebody.

BroncoLifer
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
There's been a lot of bitching about the unfairness of East Coast games, but who has some actual stats to back it up? Has Football Outsiders or someone like that run an actual study as opposed to emotional outbursts?

From a purely anecdotal point of view, our .500 team was exactly that (.500) out east last year. W - Jets, Atlanta, L - New England, Carolina

broncocalijohn
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Your subject line: "Goodell says he has seen no advantage for west coast teams going east "

This is true. West Coast teams have no advantage but a disadvantage for going East. Until Cards did it in the playoffs, the closest team on the West Coast to defy the travel disadvantage was the Broncos going to Panthers and winning.

no-pseudo-fan
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Just another way to give the East Coast teams an advantage.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Your subject line: "Goodell says he has seen no advantage for west coast teams going east "

This is true. West Coast teams have no advantage but a disadvantage for going East. Until Cards did it in the playoffs, the closest team on the West Coast to defy the travel disadvantage was the Broncos going to Panthers and winning.

falcons

Beantown Bronco
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
There's been a lot of b****ing about the unfairness of East Coast games, but who has some actual stats to back it up? Has Football Outsiders or someone like that run an actual study as opposed to emotional outbursts?

From a purely anecdotal point of view, our .500 team was exactly that (.500) out east last year. W - Jets, Atlanta, L - New England, Carolina

There were only 3 regular season games last year where the West Coast team beat an East Coast team in a 1:00 EST start. Two of those wins were against the Bucs in the last two weeks of the season last year, when they were in a collapse.

The final record was something like 3-15.

I'll find the link of the site that ran the numbers. They did it as of mid-November, and they listed the rest of the matchups for the rest of the season, which I then checked myself.

Beantown Bronco
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Here's the link I was looking for:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/83730-raiders-chargers-49ers-seahawks-blame-season-on-east-coast

And here it is for 2007:

But let's look at the 2007 season. Teams from the Pacific or Mountain time zones were 4-16 when they played in the Eastern Time Zone. Eighteen of those 20 games were played at 1:00 p.m. ET.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/23/are-west-coast-teams-at-a-disadvantage-when-they-travel-east/

Pony Boy
03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Yogi Berra said it best
"It gets late early out there."

lex
03-25-2009, 02:46 PM
There were only 3 regular season games last year where the West Coast team beat an East Coast team in a 1:00 EST start. Two of those wins were against the Bucs in the last two weeks of the season last year, when they were in a collapse.

The final record was something like 3-15.

I'll find the link of the site that ran the numbers. They did it as of mid-November, and they listed the rest of the matchups for the rest of the season, which I then checked myself.

It wasnt just last year either. Its always been that way. Everyone who has been following football for a long time knows it. People who bet on games, especially know it. The whole notion that the west teams arent at a disadvantage going east is absurd.

What a ****ing liar. If its because they lose east coast viewers when their teams play out west then he should just say so and stop pretending like he's interested in being fair.

400HZ
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
It wouldn't be difficult at all to throw West Coast teams a bone and schedule their east coast trips as afternoon games. East coast teams draw higher ratings during the 10am games though so that won't happen.

Doggcow
03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Seattle is SO ****ED now. They have massive travel everywhere already.

BroncoLifer
03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Here's the link I was looking for:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/83730-raiders-chargers-49ers-seahawks-blame-season-on-east-coast

And here it is for 2007:

But let's look at the 2007 season. Teams from the Pacific or Mountain time zones were 4-16 when they played in the Eastern Time Zone. Eighteen of those 20 games were played at 1:00 p.m. ET.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/23/are-west-coast-teams-at-a-disadvantage-when-they-travel-east/

Thanks, that was helpful. The overall suckitude of Oak, SF, Sea and (until this year) Ariz obviously plays into it but the numbers do seem skewed even beyond that factor.