PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Big player to fill large NT gap

oubronco
03-25-2009, 07:29 AM
DANA POINT, Calif. The Broncos' roster has a glaring hole, and for once, this one has nothing to do with the quarterback.

Despite all the offseason changes Josh McDaniels and his new staff have made to the defense, the head coach said Tuesday the team still is weeks, if not months, away from knowing who will play nose tackle, the position that literally is the biggest piece in a 3-4 defensive puzzle.

"We're going to try multiple people there. It will be interesting," McDaniels said. "We're kind of excited to see who can or who couldn't and what we need to do with those guys. I think they all present different problems in their own right."

The leading candidate at this point is free-agent addition Ronnie Fields, who played in all 16 games last season as a reserve for San Francisco, though McDaniels said returning starter Marcus Thomas and former practice-squad player Matthias Askew also will get a look this spring. The team also signed free agent J'Vonne Parker, who, at 6-feet-4, 325 pounds is the closest to the physical ideal for a nose tackle.

McDaniels said his preference is for bulkier defensive linemen.

That's where the draft could come in.

"We want them to be big," McDaniels said. "One of the things, I've said it since I arrived in Denver, is we want to be tough, physical, and I think that's going to start up front on both sides of the ball. We're looking to add size and versatility, and we want to be able to stop the run."

McDaniels also confirmed that Elvis Dumervil and free-agent addition Darrell Reid will be used as hybrid defensive end-linebackers to rush the quarterback.

"We really like a lot of the abilities players like Elvis have because they're not always a clean matchup for someone on the other side of the ball," McDaniels said. "He's going to do both. He's going to have his hand on the ground some, and he's going to stand up some."

Beyond envisioning a new role for those two players, McDaniels said it may be weeks, if not months, before the rest of the defensive front takes shape.

"I think it's really important that we see where we finish this spring, and head into training camp in terms of our personnel," McDaniels said. "I don't think we can really sit there today and say, 'That looks perfect.' "

So McD likes em Big

montrose
03-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Interesting that McDaniels specifically endorsed Dumervil and Reid but not Moss. Jarvis better have a hell of a preseason or I can see him on his way out the door.

oubronco
03-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Interesting that McDaniels specifically endorsed Dumervil and Reid but not Moss. Jarvis better have a hell of a preseason or I can see him on his way out the door.

Yea no mention of Crowder either they better bring it this Preseason for sure

socalorado
03-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Wanted: Big player to fill large NT gap

http://walterfootball.com/college/Stillman_logo.gif Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman
Height: 6-4. Weight: 329.
Projected 40 Time: 5.23.
Combine 40 Time: 5.11.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 3-4.
2/24/09: Sammie Lee Hill ran very well for his frame. Considering how rare quality nose tackles are, he definitely increased his stock.

2007: Sammie Lee Hill had 14 TFL and 4.5 sacks as a junior.

oubronco
03-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Late round DT's typically don't stick around very long in the NFL the good ones are takin early and quickly

TheReverend
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
So McD likes em Big

LOL

That's exactly what I took away from the article too.

socalorado
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Late round DT's typically don't stick around very long in the NFL the good ones are takin early and quickly

NT, NT not DT. Big difference.

And the 3rd round isnt a late round.

eddie mac
03-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Yup, mostly 1st or 2nd rounders.

Starting NT's in the league

Jenkins 2-13
Wilfork 1-21
Ferguson 7-28
Rogers 2-30
Ngata 1-12
J Williams 2-30
Hampton 1-19
Ratliff 7-10
Pickett 1-29

barryr
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
NT's in a 3-4 can be had in the middle rounds. You don't need to draft one in the 1st round unless you feel he has ALL Pro written on him.

As McDaniels states and I have been for awhile, to use a 3-4, your DL need to be big guys, at least 290lbs. across the board. Teams using the 3-4 currently all have that kind of personnel.

Moss has to stay healthy for one thing. If he can, they may get something out of him afterall.

Whoever ends up playing on the front seven, they have to get pressure on the QB or the defense will only end up being average at best.

tsiguy96
03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
NT's in a 3-4 can be had in the middle rounds. You don't need to draft one in the 1st round unless you feel he has ALL Pro written on him.

As McDaniels states and I have been for awhile, to use a 3-4, your DL need to be big guys, at least 290lbs. across the board. Teams using the 3-4 currently all have that kind of personnel.

Moss has to stay healthy for one thing. If he can, they may get something out of him afterall.

Whoever ends up playing on the front seven, they have to get pressure on the QB or the defense will only end up being average at best.

ill take it :D