PDA

View Full Version : Why McDaniels wanted Cassel

Bob's your Information Minister
03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I think this pretty much sums it up.

"I've been telling everyone I hope he can play because he's got all of the intangible things you get excited about as a coach. I just came off two years of working with one of the best guys I've ever been around in Kurt Warner. In best guys, I mean guys that are in to football, like to talk about football. It's not about much else for Kurt Warner.

This Matt Cassel feels and acts a lot the same way. He is football 24/7 to the point where I've had to pull back the reins on him a couple of times and say, 'Listen, Matt. These next couple of months are about getting in shape and getting your body ready for the season. There's time enough for football.' He's all football. He's calling me every day for numbers to call some of the other guys on the team.

We picked up Bobby Engram and Bobby Engram is texting me wanting Cassel's number. At the same time, a text is coming in from Cassel: 'Can I get Engram's number?' So he's doing all of those things that get you excited as a coach. You don't have to worry about what Matt Cassel is doing most of the time. He'll be worrying about football."

Popps
03-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Should this be moved to the Butt? I'm guessing Blueflame doesn't agree.

Popps
03-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Boob,

I told you this weeks ago. Pay attention.

People were so up in arms over Cassel even being considered, but McDaniels, Bill B. and Pioli know a little bit about football and they rave about the guy.

He's not as physically talented as Cutler, but that doesn't mean he won't have a better NFL career.

So, quit posting this junk like you're the first. Many of us explained this all weeks ago when the whole fiasco started.

03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
It's just nice to hear it from someone who has never had a thread moved to the butt.

Popps
03-25-2009, 12:37 AM
It's just nice to hear it from someone who has never had a thread moved to the butt.

You know, for all my efforts in the past... I think that was the first time.

Ironic, of course... that it was absolutely within the boundaries of the site and violated no content rules, and was an exact clone of a thread started by a mod. (Or whatever you call goof-ball.)

Anyway, you worry about getting into a party where there are girls at some point in your life and let us worry about football.

GreatBronco16
03-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Wow, my AVG just flagged boobs first post. I'm going to have to report this and get it moved to the butt. Sorry man.

Circle Orange
03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Cutler's arm is a bit stronger, but that's the only overall difference I see. Cassell definitely has more mobility than Brady.

Eh, who cares? Patriots susck. ;D

BroncoMan4ever
03-25-2009, 12:53 AM
i don't think there is a lot of difference in work ethic in the offseason between Jay and Cassel.

Jay was in Denver for 2 weeks learning a new system which he could have spent partying on vacation, but instead he came and chose to get to work until McDaniels ****ed him over.

last season he got Marshall and Scheff together with him and went and worked out before any minicamps.

had McDaniels not been a retard we would be seeing the same fluff pieces about Jay.

Popps
03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
i don't think there is a lot of difference in work ethic in the offseason between Jay and Cassel.

Jay was in Denver for 2 weeks learning a new system which he could have spent partying on vacation, but instead he came and chose to get to work until McDaniels ****ed him over.

last season he got Marshall and Scheff together with him and went and worked out before any minicamps.

had McDaniels not been a retard we would be seeing the same fluff pieces about Jay.

Retard?

That's pretty offensive to the mentally challenged, dude. I'm telling Blueflame.

But really, it's not because I disagree with you. Honestly.

GreatBronco16
03-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Hmm, I guess the 'report to moderator' button really doesn't work. Who knew?

Arkansas Bronco
03-25-2009, 01:03 AM
My guess as why he wanted him is that he wanted the #1 overall pick next year. Go blow some goats bob and leave us alone.

Popps
03-25-2009, 01:05 AM
My guess as why he wanted him is that he wanted the #1 overall pick next year. Go blow some goats bob and leave us alone.

Goats have feelings. That's offensive.

MODS!!!!!!

ZONA
03-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Cutler's arm is a bit stronger, but that's the only overall difference I see. Cassell definitely has more mobility than Brady.

Eh, who cares? Patriots susck. ;D

Cutlers arm is more then a "bit" stronger I would say. And he's a larger more physical athlete to go along with it. Look up how many reps Cassel did at the combine and you will see what I mean. I also happen to think Cutler throws better on the run then Cassel. Oh yeah, and Cutler is harder to sack also. All this at a fraction of what KC is paying Cassel.

And to say Cassel has more mobility then Brady is like saying a cheetah is more mobile then a hippo. Brady might as well be a statue back there. He's not gonna make anybody miss that's for damn sure.

Popps
03-25-2009, 01:09 AM

Again, the issue here isn't just work ethic. It's football intelligence. I'm not saying Jay is or isn't as smart as Brady/Cassel, but something gave McDaniels enough pause about his personality to at least consider a trade for another QB.

To me, you can call him a "retard" all day long, but he's been right up close with both of these guys, and got a tell on Cutler that maybe he's not put together in a way that makes him 100% confident. This guy has spent his time coaching QBs and running the most successful offense in football over the last several years. He didn't just come in and decide to shoot himself in the foot by pissing Jay Cutler off.

I said it when this went down... people just assume he's an idiot, but people ought to be wondering if they're missing something. Perhaps Jay will work out. Perhaps he'll be a great leader and stay in Denver. But, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence building up here that Jay has personality issues.

If the coach saw a chance to acquire what he believes to be a championship caliber QB, and it's a guy he's seen up close? So be it. Make the team better, Josh. That's what you're here for.

SouthStndJunkie
03-25-2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11543221

Last week I asked a head coach who had faced both Cutler and Cassel to evaluate which one was better.

"It's not even close," the coach said. "Cutler is much better. The other guy played well against us, but Cutler is far more polished. He's a franchise passer. We're not sure the other guy is."

Popps
03-25-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11543221

Last week I asked a head coach who had faced both Cutler and Cassel to evaluate which one was better.

"It's not even close," the coach said. "Cutler is much better. The other guy played well against us, but Cutler is far more polished. He's a franchise passer. We're not sure the other guy is."

Cutler definitely has a better arm.

Keep in mind, though. It's a system-specific issue, and personality issues that I think are at question.

No one on earth questions Jay's right arm.

Ratboy
03-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Cutler definitely has a better arm.

Keep in mind, though. It's a system-specific issue, and personality issues that I think are at question.

No one on earth questions Jay's right arm.

Pick and choose, Popps, pick and choose.

Jay Cutler is a better QB than Cassel can even dream of. How come Matt Cassel never started a game since high school before last season? It's because he has always been average. That backup that could fill in for the franchise QB, if the worst happened.

Your argument next season will be, "Cassel is on the Chiefs, no good QB could help them!". Cassel will be exposed as a phony in the first few games as a Kansas City Chief.

03-25-2009, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure Cutler is as dedicated as some of you make him out to be.

The vibe I'm getting is that Cassel is more like Trent Green and Cutler is more like Plummer, who was never totally devoted to football. That's just the way he was.

Cutler likes to drink half of Denver. Cassel is a family man. There's a difference there.

Popps
03-25-2009, 01:56 AM

Jay Cutler is a better QB than Cassel can even dream of. How come Matt Cassel never started a game since high school before last season? It's because he has always been average. That backup that could fill in for the franchise QB, if the worst happened.

Your argument next season will be, "Cassel is on the Chiefs, no good QB could help them!". Cassel will be exposed as a phony in the first few games as a Kansas City Chief.

Average?

Maybe, but I spent the first three years of Tom Brady's career around here trying to explain to people that he wasn't "average," and found few that would listen.

Again, people around this place tend to get dazzled with a big arm and forget how much goes into being a championship QB. Jay Cutler is a much better athlete than Ben R., but I wouldn't take two Jay Cutlers for one Ben R..

As for Cassel in K.C., I hope they kill his career. Your assumption that he won't look as good as he did in New England shouldn't have been too difficult for you to come up with.

Florida_Bronco
03-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Should this be moved to the Butt?

Of course, just like every single thread Bobo has ever started.

DBroncos4life
03-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Boob,

I told you this weeks ago. Pay attention.

People were so up in arms over Cassel even being considered, but McDaniels, Bill B. and Pioli know a little bit about football and they rave about the guy.

He's not as physically talented as Cutler, but that doesn't mean he won't have a better NFL career.

So, quit posting this junk like you're the first. Many of us explained this all weeks ago when the whole fiasco started.

Its cool two teams tried to trade for Cassel while ten tried to trade for Cutler.

GreatBronco16
03-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Its cool two teams tried to trade for Cassel while ten tried to trade for Cutler.

All this after he threw his hissy fit.Hilarious!

DBroncos4life
03-25-2009, 03:13 AM
All this after he threw his hissy fit.Hilarious!

well to be fair it did lower his trade value down so lord only knows how many more teams would have wanted him over Cassel.

SportinOne
03-25-2009, 03:16 AM
Bob, the guy took a 16-0 team and went 11-5. That basically means that you are going to have a negative amount of wins this year.

Congratulations on the blockbuster acquisition.

GreatBronco16
03-25-2009, 03:39 AM
well to be fair it did lower his trade value down so lord only knows how many more teams would have wanted him over Cassel.

My point exactly.^5

WolfpackGuy
03-25-2009, 05:06 AM
It'll be funny to see Cassshole fall flat on his face in KC.

Ratboy
03-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Again, people around this place tend to get dazzled with a big arm and forget how much goes into being a championship QB. Jay Cutler is a much better athlete than Ben R., but I wouldn't take two Jay Cutlers for one Ben R..

I give credit to the defense for his success.

Go check out Ben Roethlisberger's stats and if you ignore those rings, you'll think to yourself, "Inconsistency and an average QB"

People complain about Jay forcing the ball and making bad decisions, check out Ben.

People complain about Jay fumbling the ball a lot, check out Ben.

Cutler makes less mistakes, stronger arm, more accurate, and more mobility. The only thing Cutler is missing is a defense.

ol number 7
03-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Again, the issue here isn't just work ethic. It's football intelligence. I'm not saying Jay is or isn't as smart as Brady/Cassel, but something gave McDaniels enough pause about his personality to at least consider a trade for another QB.

To me, you can call him a "retard" all day long, but he's been right up close with both of these guys, and got a tell on Cutler that maybe he's not put together in a way that makes him 100% confident. This guy has spent his time coaching QBs and running the most successful offense in football over the last several years. He didn't just come in and decide to shoot himself in the foot by pissing Jay Cutler off.

I said it when this went down... people just assume he's an idiot, but people ought to be wondering if they're missing something. Perhaps Jay will work out. Perhaps he'll be a great leader and stay in Denver. But, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence building up here that Jay has personality issues.

If the coach saw a chance to acquire what he believes to be a championship caliber QB, and it's a guy he's seen up close? So be it. Make the team better, Josh. That's what you're here for.

Cassel should be talking to that O - line. Please give me at least three seconds before two defenders sandwich me and cause a fumble.Hilarious!

alamosa bronco
03-25-2009, 07:31 AM
did cassel sing a long term cont. or will he be a free agent next year

Tom A Hawk
03-25-2009, 07:46 AM

you might be right, but if the Chiefs see Stafford at #3 I wonder how hard it will be to resist. If Cutlergate is still unresolved maybe Cassel ends up in Denver after another one of the rumored 3 way trade scenarios. McDaniels really fancies the Chiefs QB and Cassel knows his system. Although it is not likely to happen.......one never knows. Me personally, I would trade the Donks straight up Cassel for Cutler. I like the guy's passion

Circle Orange
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I give credit to the defense for his success.

Go check out Ben Roethlisberger's stats and if you ignore those rings, you'll think to yourself, "Inconsistency and an average QB"

People complain about Jay forcing the ball and making bad decisions, check out Ben.

People complain about Jay fumbling the ball a lot, check out Ben.

Cutler makes less mistakes, stronger arm, more accurate, and more mobility. The only thing Cutler is missing is a defense.

The difference is the defense for Big Ben. That and an organization built on stability over the long haul.

arm strength difference is marginal at best (come on, other qbs have arms too!) Let's not get carried away. Ben can haul with anyone.

While not nimble, Ben moves quite well for such a large qb. Cutler is similar but has a smoother body motion. I don't think he's any faster. Ben might be stronger. Hard to say.

the funny thing is, if a qb wins with defense it's because of the defense.
if he loses with defense (or none), it's because he stinks. People don't know what they're talking about half the time! Do they watch games or read cliches???

and its funny how folk cherry pick which qbs are 'great' for the same reasons others are called 'busts.' go figure.

no-pseudo-fan
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Is Cutler perfect? No

Would I want Jay with the ball in his hands with the game on the line? Hell yes.

A QB is, and should be judged, when the game is in the balance. I don't trust Cassel, just like I thought D Anderson was a fraud the year before. Things don't always line up, and you need players that can get it done when things aren't perfect.

Cassel needed things to be one way to win. He was a poor drop back passer, so McD put him in the Shootgun. Cassel had 1 or 2 reads, by gameplan, on any certain play. Champ goes down, throw it to Randy as much as possible. GENIUS!!!!

Cassel doesn't have Moss and Welker next year, and he is not even the for sure starter. We will see.

KCStud
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Is Cutler perfect? No

Would I want Jay with the ball in his hands with the game on the line? Hell yes.

A QB is, and should be judged, when the game is in the balance. I don't trust Cassel, just like I thought D Anderson was a fraud the year before. Things don't always line up, and you need players that can get it done when things aren't perfect.

Cassel needed things to be one way to win. He was a poor drop back passer, so McD put him in the Shootgun. Cassel had 1 or 2 reads, by gameplan, on any certain play. Champ goes down, throw it to Randy as much as possible. GENIUS!!!!

Cassel doesn't have Moss and Welker next year, and he is not even the for sure starter. We will see.

Cutler has had like 5 chances to carry his team to the playoffs and failed every one of them

no-pseudo-fan
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Cutler has had like 5 chances to carry his team to the playoffs and failed every one of them

This is your argument? That Cutler could not stop other teams from scoring and could not heal the our injuried RB's. Well.....you got me on that one.

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Retard?

That's pretty offensive to the mentally challenged, dude. I'm telling Blueflame.

But really, it's not because I disagree with you. Honestly.

i apologize to the mentally challenged who function on this board

however in regards to McDaniels, he is a retard.

in america, there is actually a cut off on intelligence, where if you are below a certain IQ you are legally retarded. and sadly McDaniels has shown himself to be incredibly stupid.....thus, he is retarded

(side note, i don't remember what the actual IQ cutoff is)

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2009, 03:04 AM

my honest to god feelings on why McDaniels was ready to toss aside Jay in favor of Cassel, has nothing to do with talent(Jay has more) upside(Jay has more) work ethic(they both seem good to me) leadership(both are good) it had nothing to do with the intangibles. McDaniels simply already knew what he had in Cassel. there was nothing to teach or anything he would have to change in his scheme to fit Cassel.

Cassel was the easier route, because he wasn't going to need the time to learn a new system or get acclimated to his coaching style.

and the fact that a guy will toss aside a guy with almost unlimited potential for a guy he just knows inside and out is stupid.

that is my problem with McDaniels.....stupidity

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm not sure Cutler is as dedicated as some of you make him out to be.

The vibe I'm getting is that Cassel is more like Trent Green and Cutler is more like Plummer, who was never totally devoted to football. That's just the way he was.

Cutler likes to drink half of Denver. Cassel is a family man. There's a difference there.

the greatest QB in history, John Elway enjoyed his alcohol also, so just because Jay enjoys tossing a few cold ones back means nothing.

unless he starts showing up at games hammered or has a beer in hand walking into the stadium, i really don't give a **** how much he drinks

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Average?

Maybe, but I spent the first three years of Tom Brady's career around here trying to explain to people that he wasn't "average," and found few that would listen.

As for Cassel in K.C., I hope they kill his career. Your assumption that he won't look as good as he did in New England shouldn't have been too difficult for you to come up with.

see now i disagree with that. i feel that if you switched out the QBs Ben in Denver and Jay in Pittsburgh, that Pittsburgh would still be a super bowl champion but have a better offense, and Denver would have finished 4-12 at best and had a terrible offense and all around terrible team

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2009, 03:15 AM
you might be right, but if the Chiefs see Stafford at #3 I wonder how hard it will be to resist. If Cutlergate is still unresolved maybe Cassel ends up in Denver after another one of the rumored 3 way trade scenarios. McDaniels really fancies the Chiefs QB and Cassel knows his system. Although it is not likely to happen.......one never knows. Me personally, I would trade the Donks straight up Cassel for Cutler. I like the guy's passion

1st off you are retarded if you think the compensation between Cassel and Cutler is equal. it would be more like give Cassel, number 3 and a mid rounder to us in exchange for Jay, and even that is ripping Denver off.

and if it happens i really will hope something bad happens to McDaniels

Cassel is still on a 1 year franchise deal, meaning he could be free next season, and with Jay being relatively cheap this year for a franchise QB, it is possible that we ride Jay this year, and if McDaniels still doesn't like hoim that we end up with Cassel next season and Jay traded

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2009, 03:18 AM

yes, it was Jay's fault that our defense is allowing 30+ points in those 5 games and that we didn't have a RB capable of helping him out.

also if you are going to bash our QB, you might want to look at your avatar and change out the winless wonder with something good from the chiefs past...although it might be hard to find pictures from the last time the Chiefs actually won anything worth a damn.

KCStud
03-28-2009, 03:22 AM
yes, it was Jay's fault that our defense is allowing 30+ points in those 5 games and that we didn't have a RB capable of helping him out.

also if you are going to bash our QB, you might want to look at your avatar and change out the winless wonder with something good from the chiefs past...although it might be hard to find pictures from the last time the Chiefs actually won anything worth a damn.

Very funny coming from a Brokeback Mt. fan who's team has won ONE meaningless game since Elway.

Jay has had plenty of chances. The Niners and Bills had bad defenses and Jay couldn't get you over the hump. Good QB's do that. Hell Trent Green got his team into the playoffs with a worse defense than Denvers.

I would take Cassel over Fay anyday because of Matt's attitude. Fay is a whining baby who is NOT a team leader. Cassel has proven to be a good leader. Yes Fay may have a better arm and better passing stats, but I'll take the guy who is the professional and acts like a team leader over the baby who drinks himself past his problems.

watermock
03-28-2009, 03:41 AM

Here:

http://www.profootballhof.com/images/content/photos/Podolak_Sep18.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
03-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Very funny coming from a Brokeback Mt. fan who's team has won ONE meaningless game since Elway.

Jay has had plenty of chances. The Niners and Bills had bad defenses and Jay couldn't get you over the hump. Good QB's do that. Hell Trent Green got his team into the playoffs with a worse defense than Denvers.

I would take Cassel over Fay anyday because of Matt's attitude. Fay is a whining baby who is NOT a team leader. Cassel has proven to be a good leader. Yes Fay may have a better arm and better passing stats, but I'll take the guy who is the professional and acts like a team leader over the baby who drinks himself past his problems.

Wow a decade where we haven't won a championship without the best QB in history. that is terrible, but nowhere near as bad who hasn't won a championship since the year Woodstock played. I will gladly take the decade worth a mediocre football over 40 years of suck, especially since with Jay or even Cassel if that happens, we are still closer to getting back to the big game than the Chiefs are.

and i am glad you want Cassel over Jay, because we don't want Cassel here, because he is this years Derek Anderson. Have fun watching more losses in KC.

Here's Len Dawson, the QB who won your last championship, maybe you should use him as a Avatar so your avy isn't a total failure anymore.
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Len-Dawson--C10108392.jpeg

Bronx33
03-28-2009, 02:50 PM

This statement coming from a KC fan making the irony is so thick you can cut it with a hatchet.

barryr
03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
What do Chief fans know about a good QB or a good team for that matter? The last time the Chiefs were in the Super Bowl, Nixon was in the WH and the DH in baseball hadn't been used yet. In other words, KC has done nothing for almost 40 years.

lazarus4444
03-28-2009, 08:41 PM
For the record, i think that Cassel will be better than you guys give him credit for. His ceiling is not as high as Cutlers but it would not surprise me to see Cassel do very well. The only thing holding him back is that he is a chef.

Old No. 7
03-28-2009, 09:11 PM

I'd trade you Cassel for E-Roy, and then draft Sanchez. You can keep Jay in the bargain as well.
I've got two fans who think Cutler's a better QB than Cassel, but they can never tell me why. And I'm not talking about "personalities" either. These are the same guys who see all this "amazing potential for upside" in Stafford, when all I see is an arm and not much more.
Sanchez doesn't have the ultra-long rocket, but in every other aspect of the position he makes Cutler and Stafford look like pop-warner.

db56
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM

39 toss power trap! 39 toss power trap! just keep metrickulating down the field boys!:chiefssux

Old No. 7
03-29-2009, 12:02 AM
39 toss power trap! 39 toss power trap! just keep metrickulating down the field boys!:chiefssux

Wow! Your historical inaccuracy is matched only by your piss-poor spelling! Bad Donko; no oats for you!