PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Elway article shows similarities to Cutler

UberBroncoMan
03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=139192

Can't take the credit for this one, as Mojo really found something interesting over at BM.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/elway/article14.html

Some excerpts:

This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89), a more consistent offense that will feature second-year running back Bobby Humphrey and, of course, the impressive gifts of Elway, who vows he won't repeat his '89 misdeeds, which included 18 interceptions. Considering the way Denver dominated the AFC last season -- it was the only team that won more than nine games -- It's difficult not to choose the Broncos this time around.

That is the new Elway attitude. Less complaining, more rolling with the punches. Of course, John McEnroe has been talking about a new attitude for years and he still can't control his tennis temper tantrums. Elway didn't have temper problems, just rabbit eyes and ears. Criticism would infuriate him, so much so that it affected his personality and, to some extent, his performance. He wasn't happy about his play last year, but he was pleased that he finally got things off his chest midway through the season.

That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween -- and wasn't so sure he wanted to take it anymore. Then, in a revealing press conference, he calmly told the local press to, basically, go to hell. He unloaded all his complaints and felt good about doing it. Since then, his attitude has undergone a positive change.

"I've matured," he said. "When I was growing up, I dreamed of being in this league, playing quarterback. Then I was doing it and not having any fun. That had to stop."

Let's back up to last January and the days preceding Super Bowl XXIV. Along with preparing for the 49ers, Elway had to deal with reports by a Washington, D.C., television station, still unsubstantiated, that three white quarterbacks in the NFL had failed past drug tests, and with criticism from CBS-TV analyst Terry Bradshaw, who cast Elway as a stagnant, not-very-smart quarterback who hadn't developed his vast potential. Then, to go out and lay such a big egg against the 49ers made the whole episode the most unhappy period of Elway's adult life.

He didn't have to look far for more motivation. This time, it came from Hall of Fame quarterback Johnny Unitas, who once called Elway a spoiled brat for not wanting to play for the Colts, the team that made him the No. 1 pick overall in the 1983 draft (a few days later, he was traded to Denver). During the offseason, Unitas wondered when everyone would concede that Elway never would become as good as his press clippings.

Keep in mind this was after Elway's SEVENTH season in the league. Cutler is just now entering his fourth.

Read the article friend. Elway in his 7th year is not the Elway in his 15th/16th year, and this article proves it.

All of you calling for Cutler's head, calling him a loser, a baby, a whiner, and saying we can't win with him...this article shows you exactly what people thought of Elway 7 years into his career.

SureShot
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Good stuff.

scttgrd
03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Brings new light to the current situation. I guess Elway was human after all, but I guess Jay gets no leeway.

Arkie
03-24-2009, 10:15 PM
the only difference being three Hunt Trophies and a NFL MVP

SureShot
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM

Wow those happened in his first three years of the league? Pull your head out.

WABronco
03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm sure someone could post some Ryan Leaf or Jeff George articles from which comparisons could be drawn as well. Not trying to imply anything, honestly, just sayin'.

HEAV
03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween

I can remember walking my paper route and reading that issue of SI. Made me me think "Damn Denver is tough town!"

Arkie
03-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Cutler can only keep pace with Elway if he carries the team to the next two Super Bowls, gets league MVP in 2010, goes to another SB two years later, and then have a silly article like this one written about him too.

watermock
03-24-2009, 10:31 PM

QFT, but these are diferent times.

Just as Elway was allowed to drive home, there wasn't the instant medium of the internets.

At the time, all we had was what kind of halloween candy his wife handed out.

Of course, there was Woody.

Taco John
03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I tried to convey this earlier, but some people remember things going backwards, and insist everybody was riding shotgun with Elway during that time. There were still plenty of fans that were, but there were plenty that were acting then about Elway like people are acting now about Cutler.

Taco John
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Yeah... The "only" difference... ::)

http://www.emergingcity.com/images/OrangeCrushFinal.jpg

SportinOne
03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
You guys and your correlations.

Yeah, Jay threw a touchdown in Kansas City in November of '08 (I really don't know if he did) and John did it in November of '88..

Cutler is going to the hall of fame, that settles it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-24-2009, 11:53 PM

Elway didn't get his MVP until 93

SouthStndJunkie
03-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Early in his career, Elway would have been crucified on the Internet, blogs, posting boards, and the 24/7/365 news media had they been around like they are today.

Back in the day, you could be a drinking and pouting grouch and get away with it.

red98
03-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Northman
03-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Nah, i dont see any similarities personally. Elway had already been to 3 SB's at that point. I guess i can agree with the article if we go to 3 straight SB's with Jay in the next few years. Outside of that there really is no comparison here.

Circle Orange
03-25-2009, 12:55 AM
I guess if you try hard enough, you can make everything tie in with something.

Honestly, can Jay accomplish something first before all these useless comparisons are made? More proof that the elway hangover lingers. Every part of his situation has been analyzed and dissected by all these 'sources' each one trying harder than the last to prove this is somehow connected to the PAST.

lazarus4444
03-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Elway > Cutler (By a loooong way)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM

Can't take the credit for this one, as Mojo really found something interesting over at BM.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/elway/article14.html

Some excerpts:

This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89), a more consistent offense that will feature second-year running back Bobby Humphrey and, of course, the impressive gifts of Elway, who vows he won't repeat his '89 misdeeds, which included 18 interceptions. Considering the way Denver dominated the AFC last season -- it was the only team that won more than nine games -- It's difficult not to choose the Broncos this time around.

That is the new Elway attitude. Less complaining, more rolling with the punches. Of course, John McEnroe has been talking about a new attitude for years and he still can't control his tennis temper tantrums. Elway didn't have temper problems, just rabbit eyes and ears. Criticism would infuriate him, so much so that it affected his personality and, to some extent, his performance. He wasn't happy about his play last year, but he was pleased that he finally got things off his chest midway through the season.

That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween -- and wasn't so sure he wanted to take it anymore. Then, in a revealing press conference, he calmly told the local press to, basically, go to hell. He unloaded all his complaints and felt good about doing it. Since then, his attitude has undergone a positive change.

"I've matured," he said. "When I was growing up, I dreamed of being in this league, playing quarterback. Then I was doing it and not having any fun. That had to stop."

Let's back up to last January and the days preceding Super Bowl XXIV. Along with preparing for the 49ers, Elway had to deal with reports by a Washington, D.C., television station, still unsubstantiated, that three white quarterbacks in the NFL had failed past drug tests, and with criticism from CBS-TV analyst Terry Bradshaw, who cast Elway as a stagnant, not-very-smart quarterback who hadn't developed his vast potential. Then, to go out and lay such a big egg against the 49ers made the whole episode the most unhappy period of Elway's adult life.

He didn't have to look far for more motivation. This time, it came from Hall of Fame quarterback Johnny Unitas, who once called Elway a spoiled brat for not wanting to play for the Colts, the team that made him the No. 1 pick overall in the 1983 draft (a few days later, he was traded to Denver). During the offseason, Unitas wondered when everyone would concede that Elway never would become as good as his press clippings.

Keep in mind this was after Elway's SEVENTH season in the league. Cutler is just now entering his fourth.

It's a good post. But where Elway told the press to go to hell, Cutler seems to have Mortenson and Vic Lombardi on his speed dial.

Popcorn Sutton
03-25-2009, 08:19 AM
The biggest difference with the two situations is the 24x7 media coverage we see today.

garandman
03-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm sure someone could post some Ryan Leaf or Jeff George articles from which comparisons could be drawn as well. Not trying to imply anything, honestly, just sayin'.

LOL, WHAT!!!??

BroncoInSkinland
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM

[I]This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89)

Seems like there might be a few more differences.

Circle Orange
03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
While I agree the overall insanity of sports coverage wasn't 24/7, it was hardly the dark ages of the 60s. Cable was exploding everywhere, and ESPN was king.

and while the unecessary comparisons continue, I'll throw in one of my own. No quarterback in existence had to live up to the hype and expectations like elway. because he was a rare talent (still not duplicated) everyone wanted to know could anyone be that good. many wanted him to fail, and enjoyed his early struggles. that's true of any qb. but he perservered not because of physical talent, but because he brought the whole package to the table.

the package

arm strength
mobility
strength
vision/seeing field
instincts/reaction time
charisma
deterrmination
competitor
athleticism
speed (earlier)

I can cherry pick multitudes of qbs with near equal amounts in some areas. but none of them had the whole deal like #7. why do you think even now he's held to the gold standard of #1s? No one says anything about 'the next whatever'. when other hall of famers praise a player and concede the truth, what does that say? NFL players are a proud people. No one wants to admit someone is better. Several hall of fame qbs give elway the nod. you can look up the quotes anywhere, but I'll give the names.

Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
Warren Moon
Troy Aikman
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Ben Rothlesburger
and yes, even Brett Favre

when these guys gush about Cutler the same way, come back. Otherwise, the comparisons are useless.

and on the Unitas comments about Elway. There is an article (u can find it on the web) where Unites admitted being angry with Elway for not staying with the Colts. Thus the brat comments, etc. he told Colt ownership later they should have taken Marino. This statement was made not too long before his death, as I recall. who says cleveland is the only bitter sports town?

Know why was the U so mad?

Because he felt the colts would have a situation like the yankees, and elway being his successor would insure that. he took it as a slap to the face. so after that he had little to say but criticism.

see how it works? 8')

rastaman
03-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Cutler can only keep pace with Elway if he carries the team to the next two Super Bowls, gets league MVP in 2010, goes to another SB two years later, and then have a silly article like this one written about him too.

Naw, imagine the out cry, moaning-complaining by todays Broncos fans if Cutler's led team to the SB get blow out the same way the first 3 Elway SB teams were blown out! Fans and McDaniels would sell their souls trying to get Cutler traded.....plain and simple, we live in different times.

Hell Elway was lucky he did not have to endure having his personal life out on the internet, as well as his squables and disagreements with Reeves plastered on NFL Network, blogs, and forums.

I think the article was great......it shows franchise QB's and the fans have always had drama with each other, its part of the game.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I tried to convey this earlier, but some people remember things going backwards, and insist everybody was riding shotgun with Elway during that time. There were still plenty of fans that were, but there were plenty that were acting then about Elway like people are acting now about Cutler.

An historical perspective? You're suggesting an historical perspective?!

But but but ... Popps and his posse have no time for that, they wanna attack Jay now! :moody:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
An historical perspective? You're suggesting an historical perspective?!

But but but ... Popps and his posse have no time for that, they wanna attack Jay now! :moody:

Right, and you've been seeing both sides of the argument while not reading into every throat clear and glance to the left that McDaniels makes. Gotcha. Fair and impartial BroncoBuff.

That's why you take innocuous statements from McD and turn them into federal inquiries. Because you're so impartial. /rolleyes

TonyR
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Agree. But we also have to remember that the Broncos went 9-7, 13-3, and 11-5 the first 3 years of the "Elway era" vs. 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8 in the first 3 years of the "Cutler era".

B-Love
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Elway had NOTHING to do with the 9-7 Wild Card team in 1983, Elway was lousy as a rookie. Deberg won 6 of those games and Kubiak won another as an emergency starter.

In 1984, the Broncos won 13-3 with MINIMAL contributions from Elway. Elway was solid, but was not cut loose yet. The 1984 Broncos was the most opportunistic Defense the NFL had seen in quite some time.

Just comparing records is silly.

The fact is we won 8 games last year and Jay Cutler was the main reason we won most of those 8. I'd give Jay the clear cut number 1 star in 6 of those 8 wins.

You CANNOT say the same thing about Elway in 83 and 84. 85?? Maybe a bit.

B-Love
03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
This is where the NFL network drives me crazy.

They had a top 10 show recently about the top 10 team tunarounds and when they come back from commercials they show quick clips of teams that almost made the cut.

So at one point they reference the "1983 John Elway led Broncos" who turned a 2-7 season in 82, to a WC spot in 1983.

How irresponsible of them. Steve Deberg had a darn good career and threw for 35,000 yards in his career. And if he was watching that show it had to make him sick.

That 83 WC team was because of Deberg, Elway won two games late in the year, that is it.

The NFL Network should be more buttoned up than that.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Right, and you've been seeing both sides of the argument while not reading into every throat clear and glance to the left that McDaniels makes. Gotcha. Fair and impartial BroncoBuff.

That's why you take innocuous statements from McD and turn them into federal inquiries. Because you're so impartial. /rolleyes

Actually I've been more impartial that 99% of people here, to wit: I think Jay is a world-class dick and I've said so a million times. He's being a huge baby and has a way-oversized ego. He needs a wife or a girlfriend to settle his bitch-ass down in my opinion.

But McDaniels is NEW. And INEXPERIENCED. And just 32. And these are MY Broncos. He should be trying to prove himself as a new-guy first-time head coach, not getting emroiled in battles with our best player and running around the front office. All the benefit of the doubt from me goes to the QB I love ... not this kid newcomer who SEEMS to have caused a problem here.

Let's see if this kid-coordinator can make it to his first training camp with our best player still on the roster. He's gotta get that far before I'm giving him ANY benefit of ANY doubt in quarrels with MY quarterback.

(And btw, there is an emoticon for "rollseyes", its "oyvey" with colons in place of the quotes: :oyvey:)

Inkana7
03-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Saying that they're YOUR broncos is such a power statement. You're such an egotistical prick.

BroncoBuff
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Saying that they're YOUR broncos is such a power statement. You're such an egotistical prick.

ROFL! You got me there, sheriff! :~ohyah!:

I'm prolly a lot older than you, Ink ... in 1972 I was 10 years old, and Broncos QB Pete Liske came to my elementary school (Holy Trinity on 74th and Federal in Westminster), and spoke to us kids ... and I was hooked for life.

And Josh McDaniels wasn't even born yet.

Tombstone RJ
03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I really don't see a whole lot of similarities between what is going on with Jay now and this old Elway article. In fact, I'd say there's a hellava lot of difference between what was going on in 1990 and what's going on today.

As other posters have already pointed out, Elway lead the team to 3 SB appearances and had an MVP too. Cutler is no where close to that. In fact, IMHO, Cutler was the QB of a team that FAILED miserably in 2008. Yah, you can blame the defense, but it was a total failure from the coaches to the players, including Cutler. Fail.

Jay also had the support of the Shanahan, who IS the GM/HC. The offense was designed around him. Aside from the running game's injuries, the offense was set. Even with the RB injuries, the team has no excuse for losing the last three games where they just needed to win ONE to get to the playoffs. Again, complete fail.

Elway had a HC who's idea of offense was Sammy Winder, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Bobby freaking Humphries? Get real.

Sure, Elway had some defenses that were good, but nothing great. They didn't show up in the Washington SB, and they got destroyed in the SanFran SB.

Just say'n, not allot of similarities here...

cdesignmaster
03-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Agree. But we also have to remember that the Broncos went 9-7, 13-3, and 11-5 the first 3 years of the "Elway era" vs. 9-7, 7-9, and 8-8 in the first 3 years of the "Cutler era".

Does "Defense" play any part in that?

CEH
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
What's Elways record when the defense gives up more than the offense?
We know the Cutler offenses had to avg 28 ppg. Only 3 times in 50 years has a Denver offense avg 28+. Two of those years were SB years.

Don't we need to give Cutler at least a fighting chance here before passing judgement?

Archer81
03-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Only similiarities here are the fans the the Denver media. Neither is fair or easy on whoever the QB is. We are tough people to make happy.

:Broncos:

DBroncos4life
03-26-2009, 07:18 PM
What's Elways record when the defense gives up more than the offense?
We know the Cutler offenses had to avg 28 ppg. Only 3 times in 50 years has a Denver offense avg 28+. Two of those years were SB years.

Don't we need to give Cutler at least a fighting chance here before passing judgement?

Like it or not only two people really get blamed for wins and losses in a team sport. We fired the guy that failed to make our D better. What I can't understand is why fans are letting this Jay thing over shadow the fact that we really missed the boat on fixing the D for this year. QB's mean nothing when your D is giving up 30 plus points per game.

Steve Sewell
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow those happened in his first three years of the league? Pull your head out.

Pretty sure Elway got us to the SB in his 3rd season.

EDIT: The cloud of 2 SB victories have some crazy effects on Bronco fans when it comes to how they remember Elway.

Steve Sewell
03-26-2009, 08:57 PM