PDA

View Full Version : Metallica’s James Hetfield Calls “Guitar Hero” a “Gateway Drug”: Inside the Band’s Ne

maher_tyler
03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I have guitar hero world tour..got the whole set...one of few games i'm addicted to..can't wait for Guitar Hero: Metallica to come out!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/03/21/metallicas-james-hetfield-calls-guitar-hero-a-gateway-drug-inside-the-bands-new-game/

A week before James Hetfield and Co. are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the metal icons’ Guitar Hero: Metallica video game hits stores, on March 29th. The new addition to the GH franchise boasts 28 controller-shredding songs taken from Metallica’s voluminous catalog as well as band-approved acts including Motorhead, Slayer and Mastodon (check out our sneak preview here!). Rolling Stone sat down with frontman James Hetfield at SXSW a few hours before Metallica’s epic “surprise” show to find out how he likes his pixellated persona, whether he thinks Death Magnetic sounds better on video game or record and if he believes encouraging kids to pick up plastic instruments is hurting their chances of learning real ones.

Which member of Metallica is the best at playing Guitar Hero?
Oh, I don’t know. I think we’re all equally bad.

As a guitarist, how are you at using the guitar controller?
The initial thought was, “This is gonna be so easy.” And then I picked it up and tried doing it. And it was like [makes plunking sound]. “Are you kidding me? You guys suck! You’re supposed to follow me!” I gotta be on with the lines. And Metallica’s not as on with the lines as some other bands. Especially having Lars as a drummer [Laughs].

How do you feel about the criticism that games like Guitar Hero are keeping a generation of kids from picking up actual guitars?
That’s an interesting backlash. I think Guitar Hero is a great gateway drug to real music. If you’ve got the music bug, nothing’s gonna stop you. It’s your destiny to express your gift.

When you were speaking out about file-sharing in 2000, Metallica was accused of being anti-technology. And now you’re on top of a technological trend…
We’ve never been anti-technology. Never ever. When we’re recording records, I want the newest, coolest gear possible. You want to combine it with the old amp or the vintage something. We’ve had one of the coolest websites from way back. Obviously the Napster part and the music-sharing was something that struck us in a different way, and we stood up for the artist. Technology’s always been a way for us to get out music out there and this is another prime example. That’s how music is connecting with people. Young kids love playing video games. Let’s school ‘em. Lars’s kid came up to me and says, “You know what my favorite song is? ‘Mississippi Queen’ by Mountain!” Where did you hear that? “It was on Guitar Hero.”

How do you feel about the way your character looks in the game?
[Laughs] Well if I had my way, it would be super giant and ugly. Well, it is anyway… There’s a bit of ego in there, like, “I wish my guns were bigger.” But it’s a chance to change yourself, maybe the way you want to be seen. Maybe there’s some psych class 101 in there… When they brought the first drawings in, everyone was cool with the other people. But with your own person it’s, “I don’t look like that! The hell?! I look like a friggin’ cavemen!” Well, Robert’s definitely a caveman. [Laughs]

What do you think about the opinion that the mastering job of your last album, Death Magnetic, sounds better on a video game than on CD?
[Laughs] Then… cool, I guess! It sounds better in my car than on my TV, I think.

What’s the first video game you fell in love with?
My buddy had Pong. We were obsessed with it. That was it, man.

Don’t miss our sneak peek at Guitar Hero: Metallica.

HEAV
03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/guitarherometallica/index.html

March 29 for 360.

broncosteven
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I agree, I hope more kids will pick up a guitar or base because they find out how cool it is.

I play classical guitar and was not impressed with the game, I went and got a real guitar out and played along with my nephew on the controller.

I wish they would come out with a game using a 6 string midi controller on a real guitar. That could be a huge teaching tool as well as game.

cutthemdown
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree, I hope more kids will pick up a guitar or base because they find out how cool it is.

I play classical guitar and was not impressed with the game, I went and got a real guitar out and played along with my nephew on the controller.

I wish they would come out with a game using a 6 string midi controller on a real guitar. That could be a huge teaching tool as well as game.

I have mixed feeling about it.

It's good to get kids interested in music and it seems like a fun game. Being a fun game is the only thing I think the GUITAR HERO people are interested in though. They don't really care if kids go on to play real instruments. In fact they probably wouldn't want them to give up the game for real instruments because its profit they are after.

I wonder if the company making all the money donates any to school music groups?

At the Namm show I saw a whole drum set hooked to some game, rockstar? something. It seemed like a lot of fun also.

My question is when are they coming up with Tuba Dork!!! Now that would be awesome.

maher_tyler
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Thats what i was thinking..that'd be pretty bad ass!!

cutthemdown
03-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Meh check the music classifieds, tons of guitar gods but not one friggin trombone player to round out the bottom of my horn section. Not to mention took me forever and a decade to find a keyboard player. And I can only get him to show up like half the time.

Don't even ask for someone who can actually read music and play guitar, until guitar hero puts real music up there the game is a hack.

Since you play classical obviously you can, but if I had a dollar for every rock/blues shredder that could actually read music, not just chords, I would be as poor as LABF after a Kill-The-Elephant telethon.

cutthemdown
03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Thats what i was thinking..that'd be pretty bad ass!!

Well now kids would actually have to read music, learn the fingering on a real instrument, no its not a game anymore and would appeal to less kids.

Guitar Hero IMO won't do much outside of teach some timing and rhythm.

HEAV
03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I have mixed feeling about it.

It's good to get kids interested in music and it seems like a fun game. Being a fun game is the only thing I think the GUITAR HERO people are interested in though. They don't really care if kids go on to play real instruments. In fact they probably wouldn't want them to give up the game for real instruments because its profit they are after.

I wonder if the company making all the money donates any to school music groups?

At the Namm show I saw a whole drum set hooked to some game, rockstar? something. It seemed like a lot of fun also.

My question is when are they coming up with Tuba Dork!!! Now that would be awesome.

Sadly in today economy more music/art classes are being cut, hell even some sports are being reduce.

As far a Rockband and Hero, my buddies play these games, I just think it's dumb. I rather learn real guitar (or at least play some Halen riff's)

maher_tyler
03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Well now kids would actually have to read music, learn the fingering on a real instrument, no its not a game anymore and would appeal to less kids.

I think it'd be more appealing to young adults 18-30 than kids..i'd buy it..i'm sure it'd be pretty spendy though...

Majik
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
My 360 died today due to the three rings of death. I hardly play it so i had no distress. Lone behold me and the girl friend had started to play, Guitar Hero World Tour, when it happened.

Los Broncos
03-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I can play some of their some songs, will be cool to check out.

SportinOne
03-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Agree. Gateway drug indeed, especially for kids who never understood the pleasure of "making" music until playing the game.. I could see some potential for frustration when they realize that real instruments take time and talent to master, but not everyone is cut out for that. The thing about these games is that it might save a couple hundred or even thousand kids from never finding out that they love making music and allowing them to move onto that scene and lifestyle.

SouthStndJunkie
03-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Some of you guys are a joyless buzz kill.

At least it gets the younger generation listening to some kick ass music that they might not ever be exposed to.

SportinOne
03-25-2009, 02:27 AM

At least it gets the younger generation listening to some kick ass music that they might not ever be exposed to.

some of it is kick ass. some of it is corporate suck music, too.

I came home to visit the other day and I caught my little brother singing "my own worst enemy" by Lit (on rock band).

That will not happen again.

Rigs11
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
The demo for this was released on xbox live last friday. it has 4 songs. it's cool,they did a great job on the character models.It's fun having some friends over and getting everyone on an instrument.

bronco militia
03-25-2009, 08:52 AM

no doubt....

my kids love it when they hear a guitar hero song on the radio.

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Somebody asked me if I played Guitar Hero, my only reply was that I play real guitar.

OABB
03-25-2009, 09:34 AM
It's just like twitter...

Kids don't play this game to appreciate music, they play it to pretend they are a celebrity.

It's part of the "American Idol" generation of kids that want fame and fortune, but aren't willing to develop talent or work for anything.

I get the appeal of this game, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thrown the guitar hero guitar over the back of my head and air humped an imaginary row of hot woman, drooling and oozing out of their panties, but I am a fool, and I know this about myself.

But, alot of these kids actually believe they have musical talent when they play this game, and that sets a scary precedent..

I would rather my son play GTA and kill prostitutes than to play guitar hero and think he is talented. That is much much more dangerous.

SO parents, be careful with encouraging false hope in your children, if they want to be famous and talented, than teach them the meaning of hard work and drill into their heads to make fun of their friends that get carried away with this false idol of unwarranted talent.

bronco militia
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Kids don't play this game to appreciate music, they play it to pretend they are a celebrity.

It's part of the "American Idol" generation of kids that want fame and fortune, but aren't willing to develop talent or work for anything.

I get the appeal of this game, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thrown the guitar hero guitar over the back of my head and air humped an imaginary row of hot woman, drooling and oozing out of their panties, but I am a fool, and I know this about myself.

But, alot of these kids actually believe they have musical talent when they play this game, and that sets a scary precedent..

I would rather my son play GTA and kill prostitutes than to play guitar hero and think he is talented. That is much much more dangerous.

SO parents, be careful with encouraging false hope in your children, if they want to be famous and talented, than teach them the meaning of hard work and drill into their heads to make fun of their friends that get carried away with this false idol of unwarranted talent.

Ha! ......I think

tsiguy96
03-25-2009, 09:39 AM
some of your guys' perceptions of reality are so distorted its amazing. no one buys guitar hero and pretends they are musicians, its pretty clear to everyone who plays it what it is: a game. nothing more, nothing less. they dont pretend to be rockstars or celebrities, its entertainment, nothing more. it does not detract from those turning to real instruments, id argue that it makes people MORE interested in making real music.

quit making BS statements to fit your arguments that honestly dont exist.

OABB
03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
some of your guys' perceptions of reality are so distorted its amazing. no one buys guitar hero and pretends they are musicians, its pretty clear to everyone who plays it what it is: a game. nothing more, nothing less. they dont pretend to be rockstars or celebrities, its entertainment, nothing more. it does not detract from those turning to real instruments, id argue that it makes people MORE interested in making real music.

quit making BS statements to fit your arguments that honestly dont exist.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Seriously.

Think about it, this game is no more sophisticated than pacman, but it is one of the biggest games of all time, why do you, tsiguy, think that is?

is it the storyline? the great grfx? The appreciation for years of development it must have taken to place colored bars on a treadmill?

I envy you, I really do.

SportinOne
03-25-2009, 09:47 AM

I think Maynard from Tool said it best when he was at Coachella in '07. He said something about the VIP section, and then stopped and said, "Oh wait, i forgot, everyone's a damn VIP now days."

El Guapo
03-25-2009, 09:50 AM
http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/60849-1/Metallica.jpg

OABB
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
I think Maynard from Tool said it best when he was at Coachella in '07. He said something about the VIP section, and then stopped and said, "Oh wait, i forgot, everyone's a damn VIP now days."

qft.

mr007
03-25-2009, 09:56 AM

You're joking, right?

bronco militia
03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
You're joking, right?

probably...hopefully

OABB
03-25-2009, 09:59 AM
You're joking, right?

no.

Seeing as you have a south park avatar, I was wondering if you had a chance to check out the "Guitar Queer-O" episode? You'll see it isn't just me that feels this way.

bronco militia
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
no.

LOL...then you are retarded and keep your kids away from my kids

Ha!

OABB
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
LOL...then you are retarded and keep your kids away from kids

Ha!

I grew up on violent video games and I have yet to kill one prostitute.

I played guitar hero, and I scored a 100 percent on "watcha watcha want" by the beastie boys, and just yesterday I recorded a rap song by myself.

It was horrible.

bronco militia
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I grew up on violent video games and I have yet to kill one prostitute.

I played guitar hero, and I scored a 100 percent on "watcha watcha want" by the beastie boys, and just yesterday I recorded a rap song by myself.

It was horrible.

:giggle:

nothing wrong with the beasties

hambone13
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM

It does exactly this for my 5 and 6 year olds. They take it into their guitar and drum lessons and it has helped immensely.

mr007
03-25-2009, 10:44 AM
no.

Seeing as you have a south park avatar, I was wondering if you had a chance to check out the "Guitar Queer-O" episode? You'll see it isn't just me that feels this way.

Yeah I have, but to say you'd rather have kids playing GTA is pretty damn silly.

Games like Guitar Hero promote social growth in youth where other games inspire a social regression.

Rockband/Guitar Hero also can inspire a passion for music and develop personal talents. Anything that is abused to a point of addiction is unhealthy.

It's pretty silly to place these types of games on a lower level than GTA when they provide benefits games like GTA simply don't.

hambone13
03-25-2009, 10:47 AM

If they kids believe they have talent after playing Guitar Hero, then they have truly ****ty parents and that's the real problem.....

hambone13
03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Seriously.

Think about it, this game is no more sophisticated than pacman, but it is one of the biggest games of all time, why do you, tsiguy, think that is?

is it the storyline? the great grfx? The appreciation for years of development it must have taken to place colored bars on a treadmill?

I envy you, I really do.

Not every kid/person plays a game because it's got a great story line, graphics etc. The most popular game at my house on the wii is bowling and darts. That includes kids from 5 to 60 years old. I would argue the game is popular and entertaining because it's simple and does not require a 1000 hours of training to understand what's going on.....

OABB
03-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Not every kid/person plays a game because it's got a great story line, graphics etc. The most popular game at my house on the wii is bowling and darts. That includes kids from 5 to 60 years old. I would argue the game is popular and entertaining because it's simple and does not require a 1000 hours of training to understand what's going on.....

True. I have been known to break a television from time to time....I love me some wii.

I wasn't trying to put down the game guitar hero, I play it, I was putting down this generation of children that are raised in an "everyone get's a trophy because you are a special star" kind of world.

I agree with you, it isn't the game guitar hero I have a problem with, it's the lie that parents instill in their children that they are special, when odds are that they are just average.

What I meant to say, is that the most negative effects of guitar hero are worse than that of GTA.

And no, I don't believe for a second that violent video games lead to violence. I do believe that games like guitar hero can lead to a life of believing you are talented and awesome, which is the last thing most people should feel.

That's why talented people are so special, because they are not the norm.

mr007
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I was putting down this generation of children that are raised in an "everyone get's a trophy because you are a special star" kind of world.

I agree with you, it isn't the game guitar hero I have a problem with, it's the lie that parents instill in their children that they are special, when odds are that they are just average.

What I meant to say, is that the most negative effects of guitar hero are worse than that of GTA.

And no, I don't believe for a second that violent video games lead to violence. I do believe that games like guitar hero can lead to a life of believing you are talented and awesome, which is the last thing most people should feel.

Do you realize your entire statement completely contradicts itself? You are transferring blame from ****ty parenting to a video game and that's pretty damned sad. Anyone who relates their perception of a generation to the tools available to that generation has a lot to learn. It's parenting, mentoring, and social interactions that develop children into how they are. Video games play a part in that only to the extent the parent enables them.

If a child truly believes they are talented based on playing a game such a Guitar Hero, that parent should enable their child to prove or fail based on the talent they believe they have. A singing or other musical talent can definitely be revealed through such a game (which can't be said for GTA) and simply dismissing that as nonsense is retarded.

Rigs11
03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
meh we always get these type of arguments from the 'cool" crowd. Why play Madden then and not just go out and play football for real? Or go skateboard instead of playing tony hawk?It's a game,plain and simple. does it require skill? hell yeah it does.on a plus side it has inspired kids to actually go out and play real guitar.

broncosteven
03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Meh check the music classifieds, tons of guitar gods but not one friggin trombone player to round out the bottom of my horn section. Not to mention took me forever and a decade to find a keyboard player. And I can only get him to show up like half the time.

Don't even ask for someone who can actually read music and play guitar, until guitar hero puts real music up there the game is a hack.

Since you play classical obviously you can, but if I had a dollar for every rock/blues shredder that could actually read music, not just chords, I would be as poor as LABF after a Kill-The-Elephant telethon.

I agree that good musicians are hard to find. Doesn't matter what instrument you are looking for.

I think Tab was the biggest detriment to the study of guitar ever. The shred craze in the 80's led to tab. lots of players could play modes in different positions but they did not understand what they were doing outside those patterns.

You know that Pavarotti never knew how to read music? He was taught the solfeg hand signals as a child and had an assistant teach him his parts that way.

Placido Domingo can read music and has conducted at times. He took his gift higher.

It comes down to each person's personal goals. Do I want to be real good, good enough, it is all personal motivation.

hambone13
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
True. I have been known to break a television from time to time....I love me some wii.

I wasn't trying to put down the game guitar hero, I play it, I was putting down this generation of children that are raised in an "everyone get's a trophy because you are a special star" kind of world.

In my experience, you have a point but it's not a new one. In fact, I believe it's as old as human nature. I don't think games like Guitar Hero are doing anything more than capitalizing on human nature any more than any other "product or service". I believe we have the same problems as most generations have had in the past. There's not enough good parenting or ever enough good people, motivated to be good people or parents. Frankly, that's an under recognized talent as well. Humility about one's skills certainly falls into that very large hamper that I'm criticizing. On the flip side, those who ARE talented tend to lack the humility to integrate in to the mainstream communities who are interested in their skill. By default, both parties are not challenged due to their perceptions. It's a naturally wicked circular system from my position.

OABB
03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
In my experience, you have a point but it's not a new one. In fact, I believe it's as old as human nature. I don't think games like Guitar Hero are doing anything more than capitalizing on human nature any more than any other "product or service". I believe we have the same problems as most generations have had in the past. There's not enough good parenting or ever enough good people, motivated to be good people or parents. Frankly, that's an under recognized talent as well.

This is very true, my friend. in my own twisted way, this is what I am trying to say.

hambone13
03-25-2009, 11:36 AM
This is very true, my friend. in my own twisted way, this is what I am trying to say.

Grassy Ass! It's good to know there is, in fact, some mid-western minded seeds, awaiting cultivation on the far west coast of the US.

Given your geographic location, I can see your potential for cynicism being "re-irritated" at any given moment!

ZONA
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't see how anybody could hate this game. Kids are gonna play video game, period. If it's a game about music, instead of bloodshed and killing and crime, then it can't be a bad game.

OABB
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Grassy Ass! It's good to know there is, in fact, some mid-western minded seeds, awaiting cultivation on the far west coast of the US.

Given your geographic location, I can see your potential for cynicism being "re-irritated" at any given moment!

You have no idea...I was raised by the most leftist, radical liberal women the world has ever seen.

I live in the heart of L.A. and work in the entertainment biz!

What I want more than anything is a GTA hollywood version where you can drive through the town shooting actors and PETA members.

God that would be good for the soul!

broncocalijohn
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
some of it is kick ass. some of it is corporate suck music, too.

I came home to visit the other day and I caught my little brother singing "my own worst enemy" by Lit (on rock band).

That will not happen again.

Lit (from Orange County) made that song before they got picked up by "corporate" record company. Next you will dis Lady Gaga!
My nephew bought a real guitar after playing guitar hero so I think it does translate from game to actual instrament. I wonder if Cutemdown yells at kids for playing Madden's video game instead of strapping on the pads of their 100 pound body and take some licks at the local high school.

Requiem
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
This game is for fags who can't play real tunes. It's gay as ****.

Broncosfreak_56
03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
All you idiots that tell kids to learn a real instrument instead of play something that is just a game are stupid. And ****ing hypocrites. I take it most of you are on here because you love watching the broncos. Why don't you guys play a sport for real instead of watching them? Its the same concept.

tsiguy96
03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
All you idiots that tell kids to learn a real instrument instead of play something that is just a game are stupid. And ****ing hypocrites. I take it most of you are on here because you love watching the broncos. Why don't you guys play a sport for real instead of watching them? Its the same concept.

thank you.

people dont realize, we play this game for fun. not because it makes us rock stars or we have delusions of grandeur, we play for fun. ive beat most of the games (except GH3 and RB2) on expert, i dont think im a great musician. id love to get an acoustic and learn a bit but prolly never will i dont have time right now.

its a game, and its fun. 99% of the people who make it more then that are the ones who make fun of others for playing it.

Requiem
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
You don't have time to learn on a real acoustic but will spend countless hours playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero? Hm.

tsiguy96
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
You don't have time to learn on a real acoustic but will spend countless hours playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero? Hm.

correction: already spent the time playing it. a lot of time spent with friends or family playing with them, as they can play too. its not all about just being good at something, its having fun and having fun with others too. you spend countless hours reading about the denver broncos, but wont go train to play football?

Requiem
03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, you can have fun with others playing real instruments. I do on a regular basis. Secondly, the Broncos comparison isn't even comparable. I do play a lot of intramural pigskin though.

If people want to do their kids a real favor -- get them a real instrument and let them be creative. Pushing a few buttons on a plastic guitar and letting them zombie out in front of a television is a pretty piss poor idea if you ask me.

SouthStndJunkie
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Great....the real musical 'geniuses' here have come out to tell us like it is.

I have learned that 80% of the people that say they can play a musical instrument suck at it.

Just because you 'play' the guitar does not mean you can play the guitar.

So get off your high horses, get back to practicing, and quit offending my ears with your lame attempts to play guitar or any other musical instruments.

Broncosfreak_56
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, you can have fun with others playing real instruments. I do on a regular basis. Secondly, the Broncos comparison isn't even comparable. I do play a lot of intramural pigskin though.

If people want to do their kids a real favor -- get them a real instrument and let them be creative. Pushing a few buttons on a plastic guitar and letting them zombie out in front of a television is a pretty piss poor idea if you ask me.

http://www.imakestufflooknice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/smug.jpg

Requiem
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Oh boy, you are a clever one aren't you Junkie?

SouthStndJunkie
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh boy, you are a clever one aren't you Junkie?

I have my moments.

BroncoBuff
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM

If you're a trombone guy, the best pop music trombonist ever - Jimmy Pankow - will be a guest on the Chris Isaak show tomorrow (Thursday) along with the entire band Chicago.

Can't wait .... :thumbs:

Keyboard players were always the toughest to find for me, not because of a lack of talent, but more because of a lack of equipment.

Requiem
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
If people want to play Rock Band and Guitar Hero because they get enjoyment out of it, cool. It actually is a good way to bond with others and make new friends. However, I'll always prefer playing in a real band with real instruments. I get more joy out of that. Actually creating music that can be your own. I've had numerous people who came up to me when I worked manned down the electronics section at the store I worked at if I'd recommend Guitar Hero or Rock Band for their kids. I straight up told everyone of them that'd they'd do their kids the biggest favor by getting them a real guitar or a real instrument.

I don't know. I'm not trying to be smug -- but I'd rather have something that is uniquely my own. I still have the first guitar(s) I ever bought and will always keep them with me. My hope is someday that if I have kids -- one of them is interested enough to pick up their dad's ol' guitars and jam out on them. Thirty years down the road for them, I hope they do the same thing I did, etc.

I mean ****, my buddy has his dad's old 57' Gibson LP Goldtop. That's ballin' as ****. Not only is that a sweet instrument, but just the inherent value of it makes it special. *shrugs*

No offense, but I prefer the real deal. Just way more creative. You actually have to learn something and the skills are applicable in a real world environment.

El Guapo
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I've played musical instruments all of my life, guitar included, and I enjoy playing rock band. Eat that.

mr007
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty sick with my skin flute.

tsiguy96
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM
If people want to play Rock Band and Guitar Hero because they get enjoyment out of it, cool. It actually is a good way to bond with others and make new friends. However, I'll always prefer playing in a real band with real instruments. I get more joy out of that. Actually creating music that can be your own. I've had numerous people who came up to me when I worked manned down the electronics section at the store I worked at if I'd recommend Guitar Hero or Rock Band for their kids. I straight up told everyone of them that'd they'd do their kids the biggest favor by getting them a real guitar or a real instrument.

I don't know. I'm not trying to be smug -- but I'd rather have something that is uniquely my own. I still have the first guitar(s) I ever bought and will always keep them with me. My hope is someday that if I have kids -- one of them is interested enough to pick up their dad's ol' guitars and jam out on them. Thirty years down the road for them, I hope they do the same thing I did, etc.

I mean ****, my buddy has his dad's old 57' Gibson LP Goldtop. That's ballin' as ****. Not only is that a sweet instrument, but just the inherent value of it makes it special. *shrugs*

No offense, but I prefer the real deal. Just way more creative. You actually have to learn something and the skills are applicable in a real world environment.

thats great, just because you prefer to play the real guitar doesnt mean you have the right to tell people who enjoy playing guitar hero they are wrong. one is a game, the other is an instrument, the only people who EVER get that confused are the ones who need to tell the people playing the game they are wrong.

Rigs11
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I have friends who are in a band. They practice 3 times a week, play shows, and are almost done with their first cd.They come over and play guitar hero and have a blast.those uppity musicians take their criticism of this game too far.

maher_tyler
03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
I've played musical instruments all of my life, guitar included, and I enjoy playing rock band. Eat that.

I know people that play the real thing to and love the game...i haven't met anyone or heard of anyone playing the game thinking that they are some rock superstar!! As far as giving your kids or who ever the real instrament, how do you know they'd even like it..give them the game which is cheaper and let them decide, give them a choice...

cutthemdown
03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree that good musicians are hard to find. Doesn't matter what instrument you are looking for.

I think Tab was the biggest detriment to the study of guitar ever. The shred craze in the 80's led to tab. lots of players could play modes in different positions but they did not understand what they were doing outside those patterns.

You know that Pavarotti never knew how to read music? He was taught the solfeg hand signals as a child and had an assistant teach him his parts that way.

Placido Domingo can read music and has conducted at times. He took his gift higher.

It comes down to each person's personal goals. Do I want to be real good, good enough, it is all personal motivation.

Oh no doubt there are some amazing musicians that can't read a lick and don't know any theory. I'm like really avg. Avg sight reader, avg improviser. If the musician in amazing then he can get away without reading, but for avg ones it sure helps to get on the same page. Especially for me since I'm usually playing with another horn in a section.

I have no problem with the game, I just disagreed it was teaching kids anything about real music other then maybe some timing.

I wouldn't know really if it leads more kids to play. For that we would need some numbers.

The Southpark episode about Guitar Hero IMO hit the whole world of gaming like a hammer hits a nail.

broncocalijohn
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty sick with my skin flute.

Yeah, so HE says.

FireFly
03-25-2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah. Completely agree with that. I'm a teacher, and the shift back towards this sort of music has been crazy! Makes me very happy!

bronco militia
03-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Metallica - James Guitar Hero Interview and GH Tournament (2009)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8sO31b9ohzA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8sO31b9ohzA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bronco militia
03-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Metallica - Blackened (Live Austin 2009, Guitar Hero Release Party)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/10QmyzGf1mc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/10QmyzGf1mc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

El Guapo
03-26-2009, 07:19 AM
My favorite song. Awesome. http://www.club3g.com/forum/images/smilies/hbang2.gif

bronco militia
03-26-2009, 07:27 AM
My favorite song. Awesome. http://www.club3g.com/forum/images/smilies/hbang2.gif

:militia:

Broncosfreak_56
03-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Awesome song, its too bad they cut the solo short.