PDA

View Full Version : Jaworski: Cutler Deal Would Be A No-Brainer

HEAV
03-24-2009, 08:27 PM
DANA POINT, Calif - As far as Ron Jaworski is concerned, Tampa Bay's interest in acquiring Jay Cutler is a no-brainer.

The ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback says the Buccaneers would likely be a dangerous team this fall if they find a way to secure the services of Denver's disgruntled Pro Bowl quarterback.

"That's the missing link in Tampa right now," Jaworski said at the owners' meetings. "You get a quarterback who can sling it and who knows how far Tampa Bay could go in 2009?''

Jaworski lauded Cutler's rare talent but acknowledged the 25-year-old passer hasn't handled himself well since rookie Broncos head coach Josh McDaniel attempted to trade for New England's Matt Cassel last month.

"I'm still a big Jay Cutler guy and I think he'll grow from this, but right now, he looks foolish,'' Jaworski said of Cutler's evident bruised feelings. "I thought he was a very mature player, but the way he's reacted to this situation shows some immaturity.

"Having said that, I still think he's the best young quarterback in the game. When do you get an opportunity to get a 25-year-old quarterback this good? He may have the most physical tools of any quarterback in the league. He has a strong arm, the ability to move and throw on the run and he can make defenses defend the field from sideline to sideline. He's got touch with a gunslinger's mentality quite a combination.''

Jaworski praised Bucs quarterback Luke McCown as a talented passer who could flourish if given an opportunity to be Tampa Bay's starter in 2009.

"I think McCown has the physical ability to start, but he'll need someone on the sidelines with faith in him because the worst thing for a quarterback is if he feels the next time he throws an interception, he'll get the hook,'' said Jaworski. "You've got to give a Luke McCown the latitude to make some bad plays and some bad decisions without having the coach say you've got a short leash. McCown deserves that opportunity."

Along with thousands of Buc fans, Jaworski was stunned by Tampa Bay's defensive collapse in December, which began on a Monday night at Carolina.

"We had that game against the Panthers on ESPN, and it was the worst Buccaneer defensive performance I think I've ever seen,'' Jaworski said. "They didn't hit. They didn't tackle. I know that team very well, and I remember being up there in the booth saying 'Those may be Buc uniforms, but those aren't Buc players.' After that game, they lost their confidence.''

The release of perennial Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Brooks caused a stir in Tampa that Jaworski can relate to.

"I live in the Philadelphia area, and people there are still up in arms over the decision to release Brian Dawkins,'' he said, referring to Philadelphia's distinguished free safety. "It's the nature of the business. Derrick Brooks can still play, but not at the level he used to play. What will happen with Derrick is that teams will go to training camp, a couple of linebackers will get hurt and Derrick Brooks will go somewhere and help a team win.

"For Buc fans it's hard because there's an incredible association to a Derrick Brooks, with his community service and his leadership. But it's so important for your football decision-makers to take the emotion out of it - and the Bucs did that.''

Jaworski said the Bucs are clearly in rebuilding mode, placing them in the middle of the NFL pack at this point of the offseason.

"My biggest concern regarding Tampa Bay is where is the quarterback that's going to give you 16 games of consistent play?'' he said. "It's been their Achilles' heel over the last couple of years. You can't be a playoff team week in and week out without a quarterback giving you consistent play, and the Bucs just haven't gotten that at the position.''

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar/24/240729/jaworski-cutler-deal-would-be-no-brainer/news-breaking/

NFLBRONCO
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
What could TB give us that is worth Cutler? They don't even have a 2nd rounder this year to throw in deal.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
There's probably a half a dozen papers from NFL cities that could interview Jaws and he would say each time it's a no-brainer that they need to try to get Jay. He's a 10-year investment, what you give up in the short-term will pay off in the long run.

What could TB give us that is worth Cutler? They don't even have a 2nd rounder this year to throw in deal.

Ruud? Adams? Talib? Chukwurah? Koutouvides?

Obviously players would need to be involved.

Arkie
03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Brian Griese is waiting and ready for the competition. Bring it on!

barryr
03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Tampa doesn't have anything that they would be willing to trade and that at the same time, the Broncos would find that enticing. Tampa only gets Cutler if the Broncos are desperate to make a deal and get anything.

oubronco
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
There's probably a half a dozen papers from NFL cities that could interview Jaws and he would say each time it's a no-brainer that they need to try to get Jay. He's a 10-year investment, what you give up in the short-term will pay off in the long run.

Ruud? Adams? Talib? Chukwurah? Koutouvides?

Obviously players would need to be involved.

Yikes!

colonelbeef
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Yikes!

haha, my reaction was more along the lines of

:garcia:

CEH
03-25-2009, 08:10 AM
JMO but look at the last 40 + years at teams that give up over 400 points on D. There records average out to about 4-12. Cutler is worth 3-4 games a year. Any other 25 year old QB the last two years would be 10-27 ish.

No way I trade him. Maybe for Cassell and a couple high picks

The best NYJ could do is #1 in '09 and '10 and David Harris.

JDB7821
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
"Having said that, I still think he's the best young quarterback in the game..."

Matt Ryan says hello.

SuperCharger17
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Matt Ryan says hello.

And Philip Rivers gives em the bird 4321~

Beantown Bronco
03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Matt Ryan says hello.

Matt Ryan, while an outstanding rookie, looked below mediocre in the games that Turner was shut down. The potential is there, but the hype machine was going full steam ahead even when it wasn't warranted.

I don't think he would've done so well had he been in a position where he was dropping back 75% of the time instead of handing it off to the top runner in the game.

WolfpackGuy
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
I think Jaws really meant to say you had to have NO BRAIN to trade Cutler.

Popps
03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Jaworski put it perfectly. He's showing immaturity, but he's so good... it's probably worth taking a chance on. That's why I'm still in favor of working this out.

But, if a guy REFUSES to play for your team, at a certain point... you've got to do what's best for the team, too.

I can't wait for this to resolve, as fun as all this soap opera has been .

JDB7821
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Matt Ryan, while an outstanding rookie, looked below mediocre in the games that Turner was shut down. The potential is there, but the hype machine was going full steam ahead even when it wasn't warranted.

I don't think he would've done so well had he been in a position where he was dropping back 75% of the time instead of handing it off to the top runner in the game.

Week 14 vs. NO: Ryan 99.9 QB Rating, Turner 61 yards rushing, 3.4 YPC
Week 10 vs. NO: Ryan 134.0 QB Rating, Turner 96 yards rushing, 3.6 YPC
Week 6 vs. Chi: Ryan 116.1 QB Rating, Turner 54 yards rushing, 2.2 YPC

Yes, there were times Ryan played below average, but to say he was shut down when Turner was shut down is just false. There are games both had bad games, but he definitely did his share in these games, including this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xGCWn_xG3E)throw with 6 seconds left to put us in field goal range, when Turner was stopped.