PDA

View Full Version : Schefter on KOA

titan
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Adam Schefter was again interviewed by Dave Logan on Logan's KOA show this afternoon. Nothing too revealing here but always interesting to hear Adam's current take on the broncos/nfl - summary below:

KOA: Any reaction to the 4 new rules?

schefter
There's alot of uncertainity regarding labor contract (12 months to an uncapped year). With an uncapped year each team gets 2 franchise tags instead of one, and free agent eligibility goes from four years to six years, so there might not be as much movement as you'd think.

The upside for the players is that teams like cowboys and redskins can spend a ton of money, but downside is that there are certain teams that won't spend near as much as they do today.

KOA: Will season be extended to 18 games?

schefter:
It's all about money. If the league can find a way to increase its revenues
with an expanded schedule they'll do it. They are looking at going to
17 or 18 regular season games, with each team playing one game on
foreign soil. We won't see anything happen until a new labor agreement
which would take effect in 2011.

logan: with 4 preseason games the players get paid alot less, if the owners
want to increase the schedule to 17 or 18 games do they think it'll
be business as usual?

schefter:
the nfl and nflpa have differences on this - to be decided in labor
talks. Goodell is interested in decreasing the length of
the preseason - he doesn't want to see 4 preseason games

logan: I thought josh mcdaniels did extremely well in his interview last night

schefter:
Jay cutler is not the kind of guy that lets things go. If
that is the case this situation won't go away anytime soon.
What the broncos are doing now is smart - they are
taking time to defuse the situation. If in a couple
of weeks jay cutler is still feeling the same way
then they can revisit the trade talks - it's not like
cutler's value will go down in a couple of weeks. Defuse
the situation and let everyone take a step back and
calm down.

logan: It was good to see mcdaniels do what he did
on a national level, where the players can hear him
and see him. The players get the message that the
broncos are doing all that they can to get cutler
back.

shefter: but cutler may not care about that.

koa: at what point do the broncos say enough is enough?

shefter: We live in such a reactionary world - we want answers
now. Denver doesn't have to make a decision right
away. If the broncos are going to do something
with jay cutler they have over a month (until the draft)
to do something. Cutler's value will not be
any less 3 1/2 weeks today.

koa: Will the Lions take Stafford with the 1st pick?

shefter: The #1 pick is more of a punishment than a reward due
to the contract. It has become a burden to
give that much guaranteed money in a year where
there is no clear cut choice for the #1 pick.

Not sure about stafford - the lions may go with a left tackle
and pick a qb at #20 in the first round.

vindico
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM

just extra incentive to not be the league's bitch, or in Detroit's case, the history of the league bitch's bitch.

Irish Stout
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Man I think that the contract for first picks really really sucks... I agree with Schefter, I feel bad for the lions having to pay out on something that they really have no choice in for something they have no guarantee in.

barryr
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Maybe explains why the Lions find themselves in this situation so often. Yeah I'm sure Cutler would love playing in Detroit better though :~ohyah!:

TheDave
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
It's official... Schefter no longer has any contacts at Dove Valley

Kaylore
03-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Well his main contact was Shanahan so...yeah.

SoDak Bronco
03-24-2009, 04:36 PM

He is the one who broke the Cutler/Cassel Trade that fell through.

TheDave
03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
He is the one who broke the Cutler/Cassel Trade that fell through.

I doubt it was anyone on denvers side that tiped him off... Sadly i guess i'm going to have to read Peter King now for any insight.

that sucks...

TheDave
03-24-2009, 04:39 PM

After being our beat writer for all those years i would of guessed he had made a friend or two beyond shanny... Guess not.

SoDak Bronco
03-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I doubt it was anyone on denvers side that tiped him off... Sadly i guess i'm going to have to read Peter King now for any insight.

that sucks...
True

Popps
03-24-2009, 04:42 PM
logan: It was good to see mcdaniels do what he did on a national level, where the players can hear him and see him. The players get the message that the broncos are doing all that they can to get cutler back.

Couldn't agree with this more.

theAPAOps5
03-24-2009, 04:46 PM

I was told he has just as strong a contact in Bowlen but maybe that is wrong.

USMCBladerunner
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Man I think that the contract for first picks really really sucks... I agree with Schefter, I feel bad for the lions having to pay out on something that they really have no choice in for something they have no guarantee in.

this isn't really true...they can choose not to select at #1, then the choice goes to the #2 team...they can do this as long as they choose and then jump in when they want...

the truth is that teams won't take the risk that they missed on someone picked ahead of them in this scenario, so teams either try to trade down or they just make the pick.

worm
03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I was told he has just as strong a contact in Bowlen but maybe that is wrong.

That was my understanding as well. I thought they shared the marathon thing back in the day.

Rohirrim
03-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Absolutely true. It's the fitting reward for massive suckability.

OBF1
03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
My sources tell me that Adam still is in the good graces of the Broncos brass, I still think he is right more than any other football beat writer or broadcaster

TonyR
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
schefter:
Jay cutler is not the kind of guy that lets things go. If
that is the case this situation won't go away anytime soon.
What the broncos are doing now is smart - they are
taking time to defuse the situation. If in a couple
of weeks jay cutler is still feeling the same way
then they can revisit the trade talks - it's not like
cutler's value will go down in a couple of weeks. Defuse
the situation and let everyone take a step back and
calm down.

But wait, all the drama queens on the Mane say McD and the Broncos FO are stupid idiots. How could they do something smart?

montrose
03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
My sources tell me that Adam still is in the good graces of the Broncos brass, I still think he is right more than any other football beat writer or broadcaster

Adam's better than the rest on the pure standpoint that he's a stronger journalist. He doesn't throw **** against the wall hoping it sticks and makes 100% certain about something before reporting it - like the Dawkins signing for example.

DenverBrit
03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
But wait, all the drama queens on the Mane say McD and the Broncos FO are stupid idiots. How could they do something smart?

They couldn't....nah, nah, nah

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/2668975758_ff9a8944c7.jpg?v=0

lex
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Adam's better than the rest on the pure standpoint that he's a stronger journalist. He doesn't throw **** against the wall hoping it sticks and makes 100% certain about something before reporting it - like the Dawkins signing for example.

Another thing thing I like is that he's not wreckless with his choice of words. He is careful to be specific to to be accurate. For example, when the trade talks happened at the beginning of FA. Schefter was careful to point out that the Broncos version was that they didnt outwardly seek a trade. He didnt say the Broncos didnt outwardly seek a trade.

baja
03-24-2009, 08:22 PM

They can let the clock run out again and again until they get to the place where their guy is likely to go soon after and take him there. I would love it if a team did that The whole rookie contract system for the first picks is unsustainable and unfair.

_Oro_
03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
this isn't really true...they can choose not to select at #1, then the choice goes to the #2 team...they can do this as long as they choose and then jump in when they want...

the truth is that teams won't take the risk that they missed on someone picked ahead of them in this scenario, so teams either try to trade down or they just make the pick.

So if the #2 team decides to make the pick, they now have to pay the #1 pick contract?

watermock
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
logan: It was good to see mcdaniels do what he did on a national level, where the players can hear him and see him. The players get the message that the broncos are doing all that they can to get cutler back.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Your so full of bullsh!t. Mcdummy sees his players daily. Shouldn't he be talking to THEM? Or is that Simms job,or X-man, or bowlen's?

WTF des McDummy expect out the press? He's done nothing nothing but a Hunt trophy under Billicheat.

It's obvios now that McFail actively tried to make a trade, and Billicheat just left him standing at the altar.

It's funny but sad.

baja
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Your so full of bullsh!t. Mcdummy sees his players daily. Shouldn't he be talking to THEM? Or is that Simms job,or X-man, or bowlen's?

WTF des McDummy expect out the press? He's done nothing nothing but a Hunt trophy under Billicheat.

<b>It's obvios now that McFail actively tried to make a trade, and Billicheat just left him standing at the altar.</b>

It's funny but sad.

It's the price you pay for stealing Billacheck's long snapper I tell ya, nobody messes with Billacheck's long snapper.

TonyR
03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
...Mcdummy... ...McDummy... ...Billicheat...

...McFail... ...Billicheat...

It's funny but sad.

Funny? I laugh at you but not with you. Sad? Yes, that you are.

Circle Orange
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
There was so much griping and squalling by the sports media to 'get rid of' a couple preseason games and extend the season to 18. Now that it's here, they're whining that it might not be a good idea for the players.

Tools.

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM

They don't have to pick number 1. They can let the time elapse and jump back in at anytime with the selection.

hambone13
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM

Is he "independent" enough to not be considered an NFL pundit? Doesn't he do almost all of his reporting from the NFL network?

FireFly
03-25-2009, 02:51 PM

Hence the NEED for a rookie salary cap.

Steve Sewell
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM

They are idiots for putting the team in this situation in the first place.

Rock Chalk
03-25-2009, 04:17 PM
They are idiots for putting the team in this situation in the first place.

Right, idiots for trying to improve the team and listening to what is widely agreed upon as great offers.