PDA

View Full Version : 3/24 Mort updates Cutler situation on ESPN

Pseudofool
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I just caught Mort on ESPN, so my details are coming from sketchy memory.
McD took questions for 33 minutes on Cutler today from a variety of reporters (he was obligated at some breakfast thing), so more will come t/o the day including video (saw maybe 10-15 seconds of McD answering questions).

Things that seemed noteworthy:
*McD repeatedly and emphatically said Cutler is our QB (to the point of annoyance at repeating himself, even).
*McD says that commitment is a two way street.
*McD indicated that Cutler is our QB even if Jay hasn't shown commitment to the the Broncos by the NFL draft
*McD says he respects the position Cutler is in, but added that Jay will have to get over some personnel feelings, and that it might be "challenging" for him to do so.

I'm sure it will be up again in an hour. It occurred around five after the hour.

oubronco
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
DANA POINT CALIF. - This morning Broncos coach Josh McDaniels restated that he - and the Broncos organization - is committed to keeping Jay Cutler as the team's quarterback.

"He's our quarterback," McDaniels said. "We're looking forward to getting him back. We're committed to him, and I'll continue to do what we can do to try to affect our relationship positively from this point forward."
McDaniels was the most popular of the 15 AFC coaches gathered for a breakfast with reporters at the NFL's annual league meetings here. McDaniels spoke for more than an hour, mostly about the ongoing saga with Cutler, who requested a trade nine days ago after the last face-to-face meeting between Cutler and Broncos officials failed.
McDaniels said that since he arrived here on Saturday no teams have approached him directly or called him directly to make a bid for Cutler.
"Nobody's contacted me. Nobody's called me. Nobody's text messaged me, nobody's e-mailed me, and nothing's going to happen on our football team unless it passes through me."
McDaniels did acknowledge that there has been interest in his quarterback, mostly communicated through general manager Brian Xanders.
"People have left messages, I can say that," McDaniels said.
But McDaniels still seems to consider a trade to be a last resort. He said he hopes to meet again with Cutler in person, preferably without any other parties - including Cutler's agent Bus Cook - involved.
"It's not an issue for an agent. That's all I say," McDaniels said. "We're not talking about contract. That's why I want to speak with the player."
But McDaniels also made it clear that Cutler will have to be willing to equally commit to a one-on-one meeting, something that so far Cutler has not accepted to do.
"One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player. I want to meet with the player by myself," McDaniels said. "I want to meet with the player one-on-one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue. And if there's anything I would change, it would be the amount of time I've had to do that thus far."
When - if ever - the two do meet face-to-face, McDaniels likely won't completely eliminate any future possibility of a trade. McDaniels, when asked if Cutler would now be considered "untouchable," said he couldn't say that. "I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

sounds like McD has finally pulled his head out of his a** finally

Pseudofool
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
sounds like McD has finally pulled his head out of his a** finallyThanks for the quotes. But, I have to ask: how can you be so sure McD hasn't been saying something equivalent to this all along. He doesn't sound like a man who has equivocated or would do so.

DB Doom
03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
:yayaya:

come on Jay,..balls in your court.

DB Doom
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
If you have any balls that is.

Mogulseeker
03-24-2009, 11:33 AM
This is good news, and aside from the initial fiasco, I have to say I'm impressed by the way McDaniels is handling this.

outdoor_miner
03-24-2009, 11:36 AM

This sounds like pretty much exactly what he's been saying all along... What do you see that's any different? They want Jay, but are unwilling to rule out the possibility of trading him in the future...

Eli_Cash
03-24-2009, 11:36 AM
This was far too rationale for the current climate

oubronco
03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
This sounds like pretty much exactly what he's been saying all along... What do you see that's any different? They want Jay, but are unwilling to rule out the possibility of trading him in the future...

He is now coming out in public and saying it over and over instead of the wisecracking stuff

montrose
03-24-2009, 11:39 AM
I hope we can get a full transcript of the press conference, I'm interested in his responses to the questions he got after 33 minutes of Cutler talk!

socalorado
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
I hope we can get a full transcript of the press conference, I'm interested in his responses to the questions he got after 33 minutes of Cutler talk!

Exactly! Look for it, i will too.

Rohirrim
03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
McD has to start taking into account whether the players on the Broncos offense are going to able to consider Cutler a leader of men that can take them into battle next season. This little tantrum is starting to cross some boundaries. I can just imagine some DE next year calling out to Clady, "Hey, Ryan, let me take a shot at that pussy. Come on. You know you don't want to be blocking for that punk. Give me a free shot, just for us players."

lostknight
03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
A couple of quick notes:
1) No, agents are not just for contracts. They are there to push their clients best interests.
2) Yeah. I bet you don't want Bus Cook there, just like you didn't want him involved when you tried to trade his client.
3) All contacts go through you? Brian Xanders is the play GM, not you.

Hopeful signs. But this organization is still fundamentally screwed, and how goes a new coach in the NFL start out with all the authority that Shanahan had? What a mess.

bronco militia
03-24-2009, 11:50 AM
LOL.

so Mort tuned in to the NFLN took some notes and added one thing.

good job mort!

oubronco
03-24-2009, 11:50 AM
McD has to start taking into account whether the players on the Broncos offense are going to able to consider Cutler a leader of men that can take them into battle next season. This little tantrum is starting to cross some boundaries. I can just imagine some DE next year calling out to Clady, "Hey, Ryan, let me take a shot at that p***Y. Come on. You know you don't want to be blocking for that punk. Give me a free shot, just for us players."

and Clady's response should be "I'm gonna bend you over and let Jay have his way with your punkass"

montrose
03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Interesting that Mort reported McDaniels essentially said they don't have to make a decision before the draft. I just saw the clip of McDaniels and an interesting choice of wording was that he said they were committed to Jay.

I do hope Jay shows up here at some point as The Fan was reporting last night that Jay may be carrying a few extra pounds. I think it was Apa that had pointed out to me that Jay looked a little more plump during the Pro Bowl and I recall reading something about he and Scheffler throwing a few back during the week in Hawaii. Here's a pic I found of Jay from the game, not sure if he looks any pudgier but seeing that McDaniels started taking advantage of Cassel's athleticism last season, I'd like to see Jay stay in top shape.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/AFC+NFC+Pro+Bowl+cJgL4WS7ZQdl.jpg

broncocalijohn
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Just noticed the owner's meetings are in Dana Point which is 20 minutes from me. I have been to the AFC Coaches meetings in the mid 80s when I was vacationing in the same hotel in San Diego. A lot of goodies but I need to get to Josh McDaniels personally and get some answers just like Cutlerfan did for us with Jay. Oh wait, you want actual questions and not the "I know Jay and he will be in town so I can stroke my ego" kind of questions.

baja
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
The nutshell quote;

"Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team.

socalorado
03-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Just noticed the owner's meetings are in Dana Point which is 20 minutes from me. I have been to the AFC Coaches meetings in the mid 80s when I was vacationing in the same hotel in San Diego. A lot of goodies but I need to get to Josh McDaniels personally and get some answers just like Cutlerfan did for us with Jay. Oh wait, you want actual questions and not the "I know Jay and he will be in town so I can stroke my ego" kind of questions.

I literally can walk there! Theres been a ton of limo action on Niguel Rd and PCH.

Popps
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Same stuff McDaniels has been saying since the start.

Meanwhile, pouty-boy stays in hiding... only text messaging from the safety of his home.

montrose
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
CBS4 is reporting McDaniels is open to flying to Nashville to meet with Jay if it is one-on-one.

CoBear23
03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the quotes. But, I have to ask: how can you be so sure McD hasn't been saying something equivalent to this all along. He doesn't sound like a man who has equivocated or would do so.

You're exactly right, McD is saying what he and the Broncos have been saying all along. While they are committed to Jay as their QB, it is their JOB to do whatever is BEST FOR THE DENVER BRONCOS. That involves listening to any and all trade talks or options that will make this a better Football team.

I want Jay to be the Broncos QB, he's a talent and will kill in McDaniels system but at the end of the day. I am a Denver Broncos fan first and a Cutler fan a distant second. Jay, the media, and lots of people on this board need to step back and look at this from a macro instead of micro perspective.

McDaniels goal along with the key to his job security, and what I want as a fan are the one in the same. Do whatever it takes to win Super Bowls.

For everyone who think that McDaniels is the devil let me ask you this. If the Broncos win a Super Bowl under McDaniels, will you be any less happy about the Victory if Jay is not the QB?

If not having Jay as the QB would dampen a Super Bowl win for you, than I think your priorities as a Broncos fan are more than a little out of line.

bronco militia
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
CBS4 is reporting McDaniels is open to flying to Nashville to meet with Jay if it is one-on-one.

sounds kinky

cmhargrove
03-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Interesting that Mort reported McDaniels essentially said they don't have to make a decision before the draft. I just saw the clip of McDaniels and an interesting choice of wording was that he said they were committed to Jay.

I do hope Jay shows up here at some point as The Fan was reporting last night that Jay may be carrying a few extra pounds. I think it was Apa that had pointed out to me that Jay looked a little more plump during the Pro Bowl and I recall reading something about he and Scheffler throwing a few back during the week in Hawaii. Here's a pic I found of Jay from the game, not sure if he looks any pudgier but seeing that McDaniels started taking advantage of Cassel's athleticism last season, I'd like to see Jay stay in top shape.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/AFC+NFC+Pro+Bowl+cJgL4WS7ZQdl.jpg

It looks more like a slim flack-jacket than love handles.

I have yet to see Jay play "un-athletically." He can get out of the pocket, run for extra yards, and is one of the few QB's that will block downfield.

SportinOne
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
McD has to start taking into account whether the players on the Broncos offense are going to able to consider Cutler a leader of men that can take them into battle next season. This little tantrum is starting to cross some boundaries. I can just imagine some DE next year calling out to Clady, "Hey, Ryan, let me take a shot at that p***Y. Come on. You know you don't want to be blocking for that punk. Give me a free shot, just for us players."

I really think there were a lot of players (on the offense) who were quite angry when they first heard that Cutler almost got traded for Cassell. Of course, none of them would say anything publicly, not with a new coach coming in and their jobs on the line. But put yourself in their shoes. One minute you have Cutler and this explosive offense that is destined to be a juggernaut for the next 5+ years. The next minute you are faced with the possibility of Matt Cassell. I just can't imagine anyone being happy about that. Jay might chew his receivers out from time to time but when all is said and done they know what he brings to the table. The guy is super competitive and would throw himself in front of a linebacker for anyone. I think that most of the players in that locker room are just praying he comes back as opposed to being extremely pissed off and expecting some sort of apology. Although it would be nice if Jay addressed his team upon returning and let them know that he's committed to playing for them.

Rabb
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't think he is saying anything different, it is all about delivery folks.

I would bet money that Pat offered him some advice on how to approach this without changing the message.

He is a young coach, he ****ed up and he is trying to fix it. Color me encouraged.

Rabb
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I really think there were a lot of players (on the offense) who were quite angry when they first heard that Cutler almost got traded for Cassell. Of course, none of them would say anything publicly, not with a new coach coming in and their jobs on the line.

until I hear it, I won't believe it

I think some of them would be disappointed but I doubt anyone but Scheffler was upset to the point of it affecting them, I would venture to say they are happy making themselves better and learning a lesson from this mess...which in turn makes the Broncos better

SportinOne
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
If not having Jay as the QB would dampen a Super Bowl win for you, than I think your priorities as a Broncos fan are more than a little out of line.

Not a bad post. I think the hard part about that scenario for us Cutler-enthusiasts is that, ever since he flashed that gun of his in Arizona, we have felt that it is just a matter of time (him maturing as a QB and the defense being rebuilt) before we become a consistent title contender. Shanahan and Cutler, that was the forumula.. And as much as I understand why Shanahan got fired, it's still weird to think that he won't be on the sidelines next season. If they get rid of Cutler, too, that first game just isn't going to feel like I'm watching the Broncos. However, winning cures all and eventually it wouldnt' matter.

Tombstone RJ
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Really, nothing new here. Same old stuff from McD. If I was Bowlen, I'd simply tell McD to go to Nashville and meet with Jay face-to-face, to show good faith.

SportinOne
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
until I hear it, I won't believe it

I think some of them would be disappointed but I doubt anyone but Scheffler was upset to the point of it affecting them, I would venture to say they are happy making themselves better and learning a lesson from this mess...which in turn makes the Broncos better

You're never going to hear it. Maybe not until after we win three super bowls in a row and some mediocre player that managed to be on all three teams but never started writes a book about all the things we didn't have access to. :wiggle:

Seriously, though, I'm just reading between the lines. Never said it was factual, but it makes a lot of sense to me. If you want to go through life taking everything at face value then good for you.

Rabb
03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
You're never going to hear it. Maybe not until after we win three super bowls in a row and some mediocre player that managed to be on all three teams but never started writes a book about all the things we didn't have access to. :wiggle:

Seriously, though, I'm just reading between the lines. Never said it was factual, but it makes a lot of sense to me. If you want to go through life taking everything at face value then good for you.

lol, no I don't go through life like that but thanks for the concern...just saying that I haven't even seen an indication of someone other than Scheffler being upset at all, I am sure Marshall is glad to have the attention somewhere else for now actually

I guess I should know better than to look for proof around here with statements like that, but if you want to go through life making assumptions based off of nothing then good for you also

Pseudofool
03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler (who is staying away from the team's offseason workout program and has formally asked to be traded) McDaniels answered: "Never."http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1840/McDaniels-handles-Cutler-circus.html

Elway777
03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
The Broncos should just keep Cutler at this point unless they receive a huge offer. The damage is all ready done

Spider
03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
So now McD isnt the bad guy ?
you people are flaky............Stay consistent

Beantown Bronco
03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the quotes. But, I have to ask: how can you be so sure McD hasn't been saying something equivalent to this all along. He doesn't sound like a man who has equivocated or would do so.

This is good news, and aside from the initial fiasco, I have to say I'm impressed by the way McDaniels is handling this.

Same stuff McDaniels has been saying since the start.

You're exactly right, McD is saying what he and the Broncos have been saying all along. While they are committed to Jay as their QB, it is their JOB to do whatever is BEST FOR THE DENVER BRONCOS. That involves listening to any and all trade talks or options that will make this a better Football team.

I don't think he is saying anything different, it is all about delivery folks.

Really, nothing new here. Same old stuff from McD. If

Same old stuff? Doesn't sound like a man who has equivocated?

Then tell me how these statements below jive with his prior comments:

Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler (who is staying away from the team's offseason workout program and has formally asked to be traded) McDaniels answered: "Never."
Then he said the opportunity to trade a player like Cutler is rare. Yet, he never ruled it out.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1840/McDaniels-handles-Cutler-circus.html

So, why would he NOT immediately rule out something that would NEVER be in the best interest of the team?

UberBroncoMan
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
DANA POINT CALIF. - This morning Broncos coach Josh McDaniels restated that he - and the Broncos organization - is committed to keeping Jay Cutler as the team's quarterback.

"He's our quarterback," McDaniels said. "We're looking forward to getting him back. We're committed to him, and I'll continue to do what we can do to try to affect our relationship positively from this point forward."
McDaniels was the most popular of the 15 AFC coaches gathered for a breakfast with reporters at the NFL's annual league meetings here. McDaniels spoke for more than an hour, mostly about the ongoing saga with Cutler, who requested a trade nine days ago after the last face-to-face meeting between Cutler and Broncos officials failed.
McDaniels said that since he arrived here on Saturday no teams have approached him directly or called him directly to make a bid for Cutler.
"Nobody's contacted me. Nobody's called me. Nobody's text messaged me, nobody's e-mailed me, and nothing's going to happen on our football team unless it passes through me."
McDaniels did acknowledge that there has been interest in his quarterback, mostly communicated through general manager Brian Xanders.
But McDaniels still seems to consider a trade to be a last resort. He said he hopes to meet again with Cutler in person, preferably without any other parties - including Cutler's agent Bus Cook - involved.
"It's not an issue for an agent. That's all I say," McDaniels said. "We're not talking about contract. That's why I want to speak with the player."
But McDaniels also made it clear that Cutler will have to be willing to equally commit to a one-on-one meeting, something that so far Cutler has not accepted to do.
"One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player. I want to meet with the player by myself," McDaniels said. "I want to meet with the player one-on-one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue. And if there's anything I would change, it would be the amount of time I've had to do that thus far."
When - if ever - the two do meet face-to-face, McDaniels likely won't completely eliminate any future possibility of a trade. McDaniels, when asked if Cutler would now be considered "untouchable," said he couldn't say that. "I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

More like McD knows without Cutler next season is going to be a disaster and cost his his job. He didn't get all these old D guys, especially Dawkins, just to put in a backup QB in a season where we have the hardest schedule in the NFL.

Also it should be noted he said they aren't negotiating a contract. So this could potentially mean that no contracts were ever talked about with Cook and all Cook was attempting to do was create more division so as to ship out his client and give him a fat commission.

SportinOne
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
lol, no I don't go through life like that but thanks for the concern...just saying that I haven't even seen an indication of someone other than Scheffler being upset at all, I am sure Marshall is glad to have the attention somewhere else for now actually

I guess I should know better than to look for proof around here with statements like that, but if you want to go through life making assumptions based off of nothing then good for you also

Look for proof? I never presented it as proof. Also, my assumptions are based on something. They are based on the fact that Cutler has done a pretty solid job the last couple years leading this offense and is not even in his prime yet. I would assume that this is something that the offensive players are excited about. I would also assume that the offensive players could recognize the drop-off in talent that is evident in a potential Cutler for Cassell swap. Therefore, i can only assume that they wouldn't be very excited about losing one of the most talented quarterbacks this league has seen in quite some time for a guy who's been an understudy his entire career and had one "good" season after being plugged into a team that went 16-0 the year before and remained, basically, unchanged.

Pseudofool
03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
So, why would he NOT immediately rule out something that would NEVER be in the best interest of the team?He basically is saying that, but clearly he's parsing his words so not to appear that he's being hypocritical (given that he entertained trading Jay).

Now that Cassell is gone, McD can't imagine a scenario in which trading Cutler would be good for the team. But he's not going to rule out such a scenario emerging (Like if Jay refuses to play, etc.).

He's being careful, not equivocating.

Hamrob
03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
McD has to start taking into account whether the players on the Broncos offense are going to able to consider Cutler a leader of men that can take them into battle next season. This little tantrum is starting to cross some boundaries. I can just imagine some DE next year calling out to Clady, "Hey, Ryan, let me take a shot at that p***Y. Come on. You know you don't want to be blocking for that punk. Give me a free shot, just for us players."Don't count on it. In fact...it's more likely that the entire offense regresses big-time without Cutler.

Rabb
03-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Look for proof? I never presented it as proof. Also, my assumptions are based on something. They are based on the fact that Cutler has done a pretty solid job the last couple years leading this offense and is not even in his prime yet. I would assume that this is something that the offensive players are excited about. I would also assume that the offensive players could recognize the drop-off in talent that is evident in a potential Cutler for Cassell swap. Therefore, i can only assume that they wouldn't be very excited about losing one of the most talented quarterbacks this league has seen in quite some time for a guy who's been an understudy his entire career and had one "good" season after being plugged into a team that went 16-0 the year before and remained, basically, unchanged.

just so I am clear...

I am being naive for taking things for face value, but making assumptions about how other people you don't know or talk to feel is pretty solid...right?

:thumbsup:

works for me

Boobs McGee
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
the fact that jay can't man up and have a one on one sit down with McDaniels speaks volumes in my opinion.

Seems like that's been McD's goal all along...get him alone and have a conversation withOUT media hype, agents, owners.

I'd be curious to see what jay's outlook is afterwards

ZONA
03-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Same old news. We already knew the Broncos held this position. They want Jay. The ball was knocked into Jay's court weeks ago when he left town and demanded a trade. There will be nothing new to report unless Jay talks or shows up.

I do however, see the Broncos are at least trying to soften their language a bit without going back on what they've said or done. We shall see if Cutler or Cook can do the same. It take 2 sides willing to work things out in order for them to be worked out.

Cya in camp Jay.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Are we all just going to drink the kool aid.

Look, no one player is bigger than the team. If there is a deal that gets us equal value for Cutler or any other player. I'm with a plan that makes the team better. The thing is a lot and I mean a lot of people seem to think that having Cutler and making the team better are the same thing, and those two things go together. They don't.

Look I'm not under some delusion that Jay is the second coming or that McD is the Mastermind Jr. They are both wrong and right here. They both share blame. I blame McD for starting this mess and I blame Jay for letting it go on for so long.

Here's the thing though. I'm an adult. I hate to be lied to. The only people that should be lied to are children. And I'm not a child anymore.

I've been a Broncos fan for 25 years now. I've never been lied to more than this. Look if you want to trade Cutler. Trade him. You want to keep him. Keep him. But don't lie so stupidly.