PDA

View Full Version : Chargers @ Oakland to open up MNF

PaintballCLE
03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Well its the second of the two games for opening night of MNF........Maybe LT or sproles will break an ankle in the infield dirt at McAfee stadium LOL

They really couldn't find a better match up?

OABB
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Well its the second of the two games for opening night of MNF........Maybe LT or sproles will break an ankle in the infield dirt at McAfee stadium LOL

LT waits until the playoffs to get hurt.

Hogan11
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
They really couldn't find a better match up?

It's a good indication that they couldn't...must be the only west coast one they could find. Personally, I'm thankful because I can easily go to bed early on that one and not worry about making it to work the next day.

It's a ratings disaster, but that's never stopped ESPN before.

HAT
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Ratings disaster? It's the first MNF week of the year..... They kill multiple birds here. Oakland gets thrown a bone for one of their few and far between prime timers, It's a division MU, ESPiN can pimp the Chuggers as early SB contenders (and the masses will buy it), and people will watch anyway after 7 months of nothing.

I'd be curious to see what the ratings looked like last year for the Denver-Oakland MNF opener? How was that game anymore compelling to a national audience than this one would be?

Hogan11
03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Ratings disaster? It's the first MNF week of the year..... They kill multiple birds here. Oakland gets thrown a bone for one of their few and far between prime timers, It's a division MU, ESPiN can pimp the Chuggers as early SB contenders (and the masses will buy it), and people will watch anyway after 7 months of nothing.

I'd be curious to see what the ratings looked like last year for the Denver-Oakland MNF opener? How was that game anymore compelling to a national audience than this one would be?

Well, you eliminate a large part of the veiwers from the east coast (beacuse the game comes on so late there...10 PM and add in the fact that it's the Chargers against a dog Raiders team) and I cannot see anything other than a ratings disaster, second MNF game of opening weekend or not.

Truth to be told, I wouldn't be surprised that last year's Den/Oak game wasn't a ratings winner either...but this is ESPN's "tradition" so it hardly matters, it's going to work, even if in reality it doesn't.

HAT
03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Found it:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/09/09/we-are-always-ready-for-some-football-espn-monday-night-football-kickoff-ratings/5015

ESPN and Tony Kornheiser might have preferred Brett Favre, but the Aaron Rodgers-led Packers averaged 12.501 million viewers in their 24-19 victory over the Minnesota Vikings according to Nielsen, up 13% from last year’s Monday Night Football kickoff (Baltimore Ravens vs. Cincinnati Bengals — 11.1 million).

Even the hapless Oakland Raiders getting blown out early by the Denver Broncos in the second game still averaged 9.665 million, making it the second most watched show on cable this year, trailing only the Vikings vs. Packers game that preceded it. ESPN went with a two-game kickoff last year as well and this year’s nightcap outperformed last year’s by 14% according to ESPN. Last year’s second game featuring the Arizona Cardinals vs. San Francisco 49ers had 8.5 million viewers. The Packers game beat everything on the broadcast networks and even the Raiders/Broncos game edged out NBC’s Deal or No Deal (9.61 million in the preliminary overnight reports), though the NFL contest likely crushed Deal or No Deal among 18-49 year olds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My point was that I think they could run any two division teams out there on opening week and do fine....and that's why Oakland has gotten the nod twice now in that spot. (and the hapless Cards & 9ers in 2007)

Hogan11
03-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, they can count on one veiwer less then because I doubt I'll watch more than a half hour of that bullshat game....it'll be like tuning into a Chargers practice.

HAT
03-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Just like it was a Denver practice LY.... :thumbsup:

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
chargers suck. that is all.

JJJ
03-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Only safe time to put the Fade on national TV is at 0-0.

Lets see if we can pitch a shutout like the last time we did this a few years ago. Merriman has a nice stage for his return.

TheChamp24
03-23-2009, 11:06 PM
not only do the Raiders get to be embarrassed on opening weekend on national TV, but also on Thanksgiving against Dallas.

boltaneer
03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Only safe time to put the Fade on national TV is at 0-0.

This.

It's nice to already be 1-0. ;D

Gort
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
i'll kick in $50 for a bounty on Rivers. anyone in Oakland listening? ...Bueller? ...Bueller??

MechanicalBull
03-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Ditka probably protested for the game so he can openly root for the Raiders like he did last year.