PDA

View Full Version : NFL and Directv renew exclusive Sunday Ticket relationship through 2014

montrose
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Just reported on NFL Total Access.

DomCasual
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
DirecTv has to pay whatever the NFL wants to maintain this monopoly. They realize that lots of subscribers, myself included, would drop them immediately if there were other options for Sunday Ticket.

broncofan7
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
DirecTv has to pay whatever the NFL wants to maintain this monopoly. They realize that lots of subscribers, myself included, would drop them immediately if there were other options for Sunday Ticket.

Ding.ding. ding. What's the deal with charging us $5 to 'lease' an HD receiver?

garandman
03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Great, let the raping of DTV subscribers continue!

DomCasual
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Ding.ding. ding. What's the deal with charging us $5 to 'lease' an HD receiver?

That, and a whole lot of other things.

I bought an HD receiver a few years ago, and activated it on my account. They STILL charged me a lease fee for it.

They truly suck.

montrose
03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Have you guys complaining about Directv ever used Comcast? The worst customer service in the business and less than half of the HD channels for more money. It's Comcastic!

watermock
03-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Greedy bastards they all can go **** themselves, I can't even get NFL Network.

1500/year for cable $1000 TV, and I spend Sundays trying to get a crapy feed on the $800 puter.

I was paying 137 a month and found out I didnt even get all the channels, inc Fox and Sci fi in HD, hell, I don't get even HD in ESPN2 yet.

$600 deposit to get DTV....

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
ON THE AIR
DirecTV, NFL extend 'Sunday Ticket' deal
The NFL and DirecTV announced an extension through 2014 of the satellite provider's exclusive "NFL Sunday Ticket" package.
The extension, well ahead of the current deal's 2010 expiration date, should continue DirecTV's surge in the marketplace; the Wall Street Journal noted that the company's fourth quarter showed the greatest subscriber growth of any period since 2005. The investment in Sunday Ticket — the deal signed in 2004 was for $3.5 billion over five years — is clearly paying off.
It also looks like another sign that NFL Network will disappear from Comcast Cable altogether when that contract expires May 1. It is currently part of the sports tier that costs an extra $5 a month, but Derek Baine, an analyst for research firm SNL Kagan, recently wrote that Comcast was considering dropping its sports tier and folding some channels into digital basic. On Monday, CableFAX Daily wrote that Comcast has begun to notify subscribers that they could lose the NFL Network.
One of the major sticking points in the negotiations over NFL Network has been DirecTV's exclusive grip on Sunday Ticket. If that deal is being locked up, it is difficult to see any end to the Comcast-NFL Network stalemate.

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
I dig my Verizon FIOS service. Bummer I can't get Sunday Ticket though.

No biggie I can live without it. I'm splitting the Sunday Ticket with a couple friends at his house. It's like 15 minutes away so no biggie. I will just go over there and watch the Broncos when I want to.

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Direct TV has been sending my some good deals to sign up though. Maybe at some point I would switch back, but the fiber optic is nice plus I have fiber optic high speed internet, my land line, my fios TV all on same bill. It makes it easier to just give myself over to the evil Verizon.

DarkHorse
03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Good to hear considering we just upgraded our TV and HD receiver :thumbs:

hades
03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I've been with DirecTv since 98, might as well stay with 'em longer.

snowspot66
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Have you guys complaining about Directv ever used Comcast? The worst customer service in the business and less than half of the HD channels for more money. It's Comcastic!

You'll love this then. That fancy HD they brag about? It's not really HD. Government standards for what is considered HD are behind the times. But those standards are what's important when they go saying they have tons of HD. They have channels that meet or slightly exceed the government standards but it's not actually true industry HD. If you got yourself a TV with a good sized screen it would look like pixelated dog ****.

If you want a bigass 50" TV then go for satellite. Every other option will just **** you over and blow smoke up your ass.

Rock Chalk
03-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Dish Network doesnt have the sports packages of DirecTV but their options are WAY better. You need multiple satellites for more than 4 receivers in DirecTV, with Dish we have 9 receivers on one satellite.

Dish' HD is also better than DirecTVs HD. I do have a few issues with Dish but then, Ive had Time Warner, Comcast, and DirecTV and Dish is easily the best of the bunch.

Its kinda like polishing a turd though. Its still a turd.

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
You'll love this then. That fancy HD they brag about? It's not really HD. Government standards for what is considered HD are behind the times. But those standards are what's important when they go saying they have tons of HD. They have channels that meet or slightly exceed the government standards but it's not actually true industry HD. If you got yourself a TV with a good sized screen it would look like pixelated dog ****.

If you want a bigass 50" TV then go for satellite. Every other option will just **** you over and blow smoke up your ass.

what about my fiber optic connection through verizon. Looks pretty damn good through my 50 inch HD big screen.

Hogan11
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Boooooooo

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 09:43 PM

I agree 100%.

lex
03-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Great. Five more years of Peyton Mannings forehead.

rastaman
03-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Ummmmmmm......seems like the NFL (as ususal) is missing out on a great opportunity and money but not showing flexibility by offering the NFL ticket to both DirectTV and regular cable as well.

Binkythefrog
03-24-2009, 04:58 AM
This blows for people like me who live in an apartment building and can't get DirecTV even if they wanted to because the landlord wants to keep the outside of the building pretty.

I remember once they told me that if I wanted a dish I would have to mount it on the inside of my apartment and have it face out a window.

Sigh.

I should just move to Denver.

TheReverend
03-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Well that sucks.

snowspot66
03-24-2009, 05:37 AM
what about my fiber optic connection through verizon. Looks pretty damn good through my 50 inch HD big screen.

Fiber optic has a higher bandwidth than the standard methods of cable delivery. If you have access to it then it should pretty good quality. But having access to it I don't believe is very common even today.