PDA

View Full Version : Will Jay hold out if he's not traded?

Gort
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
will he use the nuclear option to get out of Denver?

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 02:08 PM
will he use the nuclear option to get out of Denver?

I don't know he won't respond to my text messages.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I keep trying to reach his anonymous sources. Wouldn't you know it? Unlisted.

bronco militia
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
with three years left on his deal?

good luck with that

bronco militia
03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't know he won't respond to my text messages.

maybe Shanahan taught him how to text? ;D

Gort
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM

good luck with that

hasn;t he already received the majority of the money from his contract? at this point, it wouldn't be a financial hardship for him to hold out and try to force a trade. the Broncos would almost have to acquiesce.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM

good luck with that

Yep. How much s a QB that hasn't played in 3 seasons worth?

Gort
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM

except the Broncos couldn't afford to keep him while his trade value dwindles to nothing. they would have to do a trade, right?

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I think he could hold out til Shanny gets a job.

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
maybe Shanahan taught him how to text? ;D

Maybe he can't get text messages in TN. :)

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
except the Broncos couldn't afford to keep him while his trade value dwindles to nothing. they would have to do a trade, right?

Nope. They don't have to do anything. Plus, while he holds out his teammates are out there playing. I think he can hold out as long as week 10 before the year doesn't count on his contract. How much sway would he have after holding out 10 weeks with his own teammates? Not much. He's literally got just about zero leverage in this situation. Further more, there aren't many teams out there that could begin to offer what he's worth.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I think Jay's too competitive to hold out and he has zero leverage. He'll play

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM

Ask Matt Cassel

NYBronco
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not so sure McDaniels system won't make Jay a better QB. I just hope JayBus has a sliver of an opening remaining in their minds to realize that.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Ask Matt Cassel

But he did play

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Ask Matt Cassel

He actually played though, so your comparison is off base.

If he doesn't play for two years, then plays the third, he would have some value. Like Cassel. See?

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Prior to this season, Cassel didn't start a game since high school....so he had more than 3 years off. The comparison is valid.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Prior to this season, Cassel didn't start a game since high school....so he had more than 3 years off. The comparison is valid.

Its not valid because Cassel's trade value isnt based on the previous years, only last year.

bronco militia
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM

oh yeah...those guys are kind of slow down there

;D ;D ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM

If he'd been traded prior to this season, the comparison would have been valid. He played this season, and played well. Without that on his resume, he wouldn't be worth as much as he was worth.

Not sure how to explain that in a clearer manner...

If Jay sits for the next three years, he will be basically an unknown quantity.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Its not valid because Cassel's trade value isnt based on the previous years, only last year.

I wasn't talking about his trade value. I was talking about his value to the Pats THIS PAST season.....after sitting for over 5 years.

Regardless, this is indisputable: the "3 year holdout" situation is simply not going to happen. The Broncos are not going to simply pay him over $20 million to sit around and listen to his Ipod on the bench for the next 3 years. It's not going to happen.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
If Jay sits for the next three years, he will be basically an unknown quantity.

I would disagree with that one.

Regardless, it's not going to happen. See my post above.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I would disagree with that one.

Regardless, it's not going to happen. See my post above.

It's not going to happen because he's going to sack up and play.

RMT
03-23-2009, 02:41 PM

perhaps morse code would work.

rastaman
03-23-2009, 02:47 PM

good luck with that

Bowlen has said publicly that if Jay doesn't want to be a Bronco....why have an unhappy camper in training camp for the next 3 years.:sunshine:

Point is, forcing Cutler to stay a Bronco is like pouring alcohol on an open wound. I don't think McD nor Bowlen wants to face the scenario of Cutler riding the bench or on team suspension. Can't say that scenario won't happen.

razorwire77
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Jay really has little leverage to hold out for an extensive period of time. His best bet is to suck it up, go to camp and have a pro-bowl caliber year within McD's system. After that he could pull the pay me or trade me bi#ches card, and Denver would have to cough up the money or trade him. Either way, Cutler as a Bronco next year benefits both sides. Hopefully, Jay is smart enough to realize this.

Rock Chalk
03-23-2009, 05:09 PM

If ghe holds out Id ruin his career.

Id draft a QB, go with Chris Simms and sit his ass for 3 years. Then, just because Im a vindictive asshole, Id franchise him for 2 more.

Thats 5 years he wouldnt have taken an NFL snap and hsi career would be over.

Thats how much I would hate Cutler if he tried to hold out.

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Jay would be better served to report when required.
If he holds out, then this whole song and dance will CLEARLY be only about money and the blame will fall on him.
But money's what it's all about anyway, right?