PDA

View Full Version : Some tidbits from Mort on Cutler

montrose
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
From the same guy who had Mike Shanahan heading to Kansas City to coach the Chiefs and the Broncos chasing the Patriots with the #12 pick desperate for Matt Cassel! Chris Mortensen with a few nuggets on ESPNEWS:

* It's believed the Lions have begun negotiations with Matthew Stafford to be the #1 pick in the draft. Said they were lukewarm on Jay Cutler and speculated they prefer Stafford.

* Unless a team presents a deal with Tom Brady or Matt Cassel heading to Denver, the Broncos don't have any intentions of trading Cutler - even if he doesn't show for mandatory functions. Said the only QB's McDaniels would value over Cutler were Brady and Cassel because of their knowledge of the offense, though he joked he doubts they'd hang up the phone on Indianapolis for a Peyton Manning deal.

* Said the Jets and Titans would likely be the teams most interested in Cutler but neither has much to offer the Broncos that's inciting.

* Officials from the Packers have reached out to the Broncos for advice in dealing with Cutler's agent Bus Cook.

* The Browns are being speculated quite a bit because of Brady Quinn, but from what Mort understands - the Broncos aren't interested in Quinn and the Browns have little interest in Cutler.

* Finished up saying the saga is likely to drag on but the Broncos are optimistic they can get Cutler to sit down one-on-one with Josh McDaniels if he reports for the mandatory mini-camp and they can move on to repair the relationship. He noted that McDaniels appears genuinely disappointed that the situation had gotten to this point and remains a bit confused as to how the two sides are coming away with such different impressions from the events.

Rabb
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Officials from the Packers have reached out to the Broncos for advice in dealing with Cutler's agent Bus Cook.

that tells me all I need to know right there, Denver will sit and let Jay cut his own throat or play for us next year

Archer81
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
From the same guy who had Mike Shanahan heading to Kansas City to coach the Chiefs and the Broncos chasing the Patriots with the #12 pick desperate for Matt Cassel! Chris Mortensen with a few nuggets on ESPNEWS:

* It's believed the Lions have begun negotiations with Matthew Stafford to be the #1 pick in the draft. Said they were lukewarm on Jay Cutler and speculated they prefer Stafford.

* Unless a team presents a deal with Tom Brady or Matt Cassel heading to Denver, the Broncos don't have any intentions of trading Cutler - even if he doesn't show for mandatory functions. Said the only QB's McDaniels would value over Cutler were Brady and Cassel because of their knowledge of the offense, though he joked he doubts they'd hang up the phone on Indianapolis for a Peyton Manning deal.

* Said the Jets and Titans would likely be the teams most interested in Cutler but neither has much to offer the Broncos that's inciting.

* Officials from the Packers have reached out to the Broncos for advice in dealing with Cutler's agent Bus Cook.

* The Browns are being speculated quite a bit because of Brady Quinn, but from what Mort understands - the Broncos aren't interested in Quinn and the Browns have little interest in Cutler.

* Finished up saying the saga is likely to drag on but the Broncos are optimistic they can get Cutler to sit down one-on-one with Josh McDaniels if he reports for the mandatory mini-camp and they can move on to repair the relationship. He noted that McDaniels appears genuinely disappointed that the situation had gotten to this point and remains a bit confused as to how the two sides are coming away with such different impressions from the events.

I knew I liked Green Bay for some reason...that just strikes me as completely funny.

:Broncos:

Man-Goblin
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
The deal is done.

gyldenlove
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM

There seems to be confusion about who the player they are negotiating with is. Some say it is Jason Smith, but lets see.

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Jay and Josh really just need to go play some beer pong together.

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
So this means he will be traded :(. Mort is never right.

gyldenlove
03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Jay and Josh really just need to go play some beer pong together.

But then they will catch Herpes..... :spit:

Rabb
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
But then they will catch Herpes..... :spit:

Nooooo, Jay will get Aids from the Cobra that attacked Josh

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I knew I liked Green Bay for some reason...that just strikes me as completely funny.

what's their advice? send him hunting with Dick Cheney

no-pseudo-fan
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
So we are getting Tom Brady + a 1st for Jay.

ghwk
that tells me all I need to know right there, Denver will sit and let Jay cut his own throat or play for us next year

Why would the Packers even bother to do this? There is nothing in it for them at all.

TonyR
Everything Mort says here is reasonable and believable. And it also further leads to the conclusion that this whole thing was much ado about almost nothing and all the drama queens need to relax and give McDaniels a chance. Other than treating Jay like an adult he really didn't do anything "wrong" so let's dispense with the cute nicknames already!

barryr
If one looks at this objectively, the Broncos know there is no trade that will be that enticing for Cutler. Teams needing a QB simply do not have much the Broncos would want and they do not plan to just give him away either. Nothing has happened to this point at least where the Broncos are desperate to make a deal and get anything. Of course, that's been the case all along, but the "fire McDaniels" crowd couldn't see or understand that.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
what's their advice? send him hunting with Dick Cheney

Better than grab your ankles and kiss your ass goodbye.

summerdenver
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
So this means he will be traded :(. Mort is never right.

ROFL!

TonyR
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Why would the Packers even bother to do this? There is nothing in it for them at all.

It has been reported, if I remember correctly, than Tennessee did the same for Green Bay when the pack was dealing with the Favre/Cook mess.

Rabb
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM

I equate this to a guy dogging some chick

she will warn every other woman in the universe that will listen, and even go out of her way to do so in order to get the guy back

McDman
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM

That's the reason why the Lions will never be a good organization. They would rather have an unproven rookie as opposed to a proven pro-bowl Qb. Hahaha.

UberBroncoMan
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Seems like everyone is noticing that snippet. Should this be true, I would like to give Green Bay a big TY. Seriously **** Bus Cook. He's just a Grima Wormtongue.

montrose
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
It has been reported, if I remember correctly, than Tennessee did the same for Green Bay when the pack was dealing with the Favre/Cook mess.

That's correct. Teams, especially across conference, like to develop good rapport with others. It can be beneficial down the line for any number of situations. Under the Shanahan regime, I remember reading we had really good relationships with the 49ers, Packers and Redskins.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
That's the reason why the Lions will never be a good organization. They would rather have an unproven rookie as opposed to a proven pro-bowl Qb. Hahaha.

Or the probowl QB is not available.

TonyR
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
...but the "fire McDaniels" crowd couldn't see or understand that.

The Shanahanistas latched onto this story like pit bulls on a meaty bone. They were looking for any excuse to crucify the guy who dared to replace their coaching idol. If not this then it would have been something else, and after this they'll find something else to beeatch about. They won't give McD a break until the day he hoists the Lombardi, and if he does it soon they'll say he did it with Shanny's players...

BroncoInferno
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM

With the bust rate of top 10 QBs being enormously high--particularly when you break it down to junior QBs, where the success rate is pretty much nil in the last decade--I have a hard time believing this. I have been as critical of Cutler as anyone during this fiasco that he's caused, but he's at least proven to be a 2nd tier level QB, with the potential to take it up a step or two up. Stafford is nothing but potential at this point, at a position where the investment usually does not pan out at even a respectable level.

Man-Goblin
03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
With the bust rate of top 10 QBs being enormously high--particularly when you break it down to junior QBs, where the success rate is pretty much nil in the last decade--I have a hard time believing this. I have been as critical of Cutler as anyone during this fiasco that he's caused, but he's at least proven to be a 2nd tier level QB, with the potential to take it up a step or two up. Stafford is nothing but potential at this point, at a position where the investment usually does not pan out at even a respectable level.

It's total insanity when you factor in the contract, too. Of course, it is the Lions...

TonyR
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM

Mike Mayock is, at this very moment, shaking his head with a smirk on his face. Will they never learn?!?

montrose
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Good points. They may see something in Cutler they just don't like, I'm not sure. They also may be weary about giving up extra value if they think Stafford has the same ceiling and considering with or without Cutler they're not Lombardi-bound for a while. Just speculation on my part.

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM

If this is true I really do have to wonder about McDaniels. Does he think that Brady and Cassell are the only quarterbacks in the NFL that can grasp his "sophisticated" offense? Last time I checked his offense went like this:

1. Look at Moss.
A. If covered by two or less defensive backs, chuck it.
B. If covered by more than two defenders, proceed to step 2.
2. Look at Welker.
A. If open, chuck it.
B. If not open, chuck it to Moss.

Seriously, though, the spread offense is not difficult to understand. If he was going to make the Cutler trade to make the team better, okay, I would have accepted that. But if he caused all of THIS just to get someone he was familiar with as his QB then i have to seriously question his ability as a head coach, as well as Pat Bowlen's ability to make personnel decisions.

frerottenextelway
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I wonder how much (if any) the massive blowback over this helped make sure JC would be our QB in 2009. I know people will laugh at that, but that kind of thing does play a role.

TonyR
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
If this is true I really do have to wonder about McDaniels...

Didn't I read in another thread that you were going on hiatus until the draft?

Broncoman13
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
That's correct. Teams, especially across conference, like to develop good rapport with others. It can be beneficial down the line for any number of situations. Under the Shanahan regime, I remember reading we had really good relationships with the 49ers, Packers and Redskins.

A really, REALLY good relationship with the Redskins. As in they could be considered an FTF!

USMCBladerunner
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
If this is true I really do have to wonder about McDaniels. Does he think that Brady and Cassell are the only quarterbacks in the NFL that can grasp his "sophisticated" offense? Last time I checked his offense went like this:

1. Look at Moss.
A. If covered by two or less defensive backs, chuck it.
B. If covered by more than two defenders, proceed to step 2.
2. Look at Welker.
A. If open, chuck it.
B. If not open, chuck it to Moss.

Seriously, though, the spread offense is not difficult to understand. If he was going to make the Cutler trade to make the team better, okay, I would have accepted that. But if he caused all of THIS just to get someone he was familiar with as his QB then i have to seriously question his ability as a head coach, as well as Pat Bowlen's ability to make personnel decisions.

Yeah, it sure is simple enough to set season scoring and TD records in the NFL. All you need is Moss and Welker after all. Hilarious!

cousinal11
03-23-2009, 01:35 PM
When do the mandatory workouts/camps start?

montrose
03-23-2009, 01:35 PM
If this is true I really do have to wonder about McDaniels. Does he think that Brady and Cassell are the only quarterbacks in the NFL that can grasp his "sophisticated" offense?

Champ, I don't think it's so much that McDaniels thinks these are the only two guys who can grasp his offense - but a case that they already know it so there's no transition. The way I interpreted the point was that if McDaniels can't get a guy who is already 100% affluent in the offense, he'd rather go with Cutler learning it than another QB.

For a young coach looking to make an impact right away, I'm sure the thought of being able to run my entire offense from day one is appealing. That's not calling Cutler or any other QB not named Brady or Cassel dumb, it's just that learning a new system is going to take any QB a lot of time. I'd think at least 1-2 seasons before McDaniels can run his full playbook.

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 01:36 PM
When do the mandatory workouts/camps start?

Around April 18th I think

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Didn't I read in another thread that you were going on hiatus until the draft?

Yes, I tried to do that, and it lasted about 16 hours. I just can't stay away from this place!

However, I have decided to step away from the Team vs. Cutler argument and take a far more neutral stance. Maybe hard to tell from the comment that you quoted me on but the difference is that, now, I'm merely trying to make observations and draw conclusions rather than look for more evidence to fuel the conspiracy train.

eddie mac
03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Why the Lions like Stafford over Cutler???

Simple really, Stafford costs them 1-1. Cutler costs them 1-1, 1-20 and then some.

cousinal11
03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Around April 18th I think

Thanks.

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Champ, I don't think it's so much that McDaniels thinks these are the only two guys who can grasp his offense - but a case that they already know it so there's no transition. The way I interpreted the point was that if McDaniels can't get a guy who is already 100% affluent in the offense, he'd rather go with Cutler learning it than another QB.

For a young coach looking to make an impact right away, I'm sure the thought of being able to run my entire offense from day one is appealing. That's not calling Cutler or any other QB not named Brady or Cassel dumb, it's just that learning a new system is going to take any QB a lot of time. I'd think at least 1-2 seasons before McDaniels can run his full playbook.

That's a good point. Given the fact that Cutler has been here 3 years now I think some of us, including myself, forget that he will be starting over from scratch now in terms of the system. I know the spread isn't reallyas simple as "chucking it to Moss or Welker," I'm just saying that it seems far more simple than the west coast offense. So, if Cutler is retained, it looks like he should have the full playbook at his disposal right around the time that the defense is starting to come around. Broncos in '12! Wow does that sound like a long long time...

broncofan2438
03-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Cutler aint going anywhere but Denver. Welcome back Cutler now get to work

ghwk
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Remenber too that it isn't just the QB that has to learn it, everyone has to learn it. Teaching 20 offensive guys is a lot harder than just one although the QB has the most to learn. I'm sure there are times when the coach sees what RB is in or WR and thinks "crap I can't run that, that dude only knows 3 plays"

montrose
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
That's a good point. Given the fact that Cutler has been here 3 years now I think some of us, including myself, forget that he will be starting over from scratch now in terms of the system. I know the spread isn't reallyas simple as "chucking it to Moss or Welker," I'm just saying that it seems far more simple than the west coast offense. So, if Cutler is retained, it looks like he should have the full playbook at his disposal right around the time that the defense is starting to come around. Broncos in '12! Wow does that sound like a long long time...

It may be more simple, but it is different. Different terminology for sure, different types of pass patterns, many more formations, etc. It will take time, it would for any QB. That's where the value came in Cassel, from the first day of OTAs McDaniels would have the flexibility to run the entire offense with a guy who'd spent years learning it. There'd be no transition, none.

With that ship sailed, Jay's a better QB than any of the other guys who would have to come in and learn the system. Now I personally don't think Jay is a great fit for this offense as he's more Brett Favre than Tom Brady, but he's still better than Matt Leinart or Kellen Clemens. Now I see some value in Brady Quinn as I'm assuming he's familiar with the terminology from Notre Dame and his skill set better fits this system, but it appears McDaniels would still rather have an unhappy Favre in his offense than a not-as-good Brady.

montrose
03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Remenber too that it isn't just the QB that has to learn it, everyone has to learn it. Teaching 20 offensive guys is a lot harder than just one although the QB has the most to learn. I'm sure there are times when the coach sees what RB is in or WR and thinks "crap I can't run that, that dude only knows 3 plays"

Well that's true to a point, although it's much easier for those other guys to learn what they have to do. For the WR's and TE's, it's about nailing down the passing tree. The RB's and OL will have to learn the protections, although with Turner and Dennison returning they may keep that stuff the same. The biggest challenge is for the QB, knowing the terminology in-and-out at all of the positions and where everybody has to lineup. Having a QB who knows the whole system, I would think McDaniels could call any play he wants by the season opener and know that even if Brandon Marshall wasn't sure where to lineup, Cassel (along with Jabar Gaffney and Lamont Jordan) could easily point him in the right direction.

I believe Cutler will be back, unhappy and not very fluent in the offense as he's not putting in the time to learn it Dove Valley. I'd be shocked if we don't see quite a few burned time outs from incorrect formations and some turnovers/bad passes coming from confusion in running the offense.

ghwk
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
I believe Cutler will be back, unhappy and not very fluent in the offense as he's not putting in the time to learn it Dove Valley. I'd be shocked if we don't see quite a few burned time outs from incorrect formations and some turnovers/bad passes coming from confusion in running the offense.

I think he will be too, I think the media really blew this up. At least I hope so. I look like an idiot wearing a Cutler jersey out here in Raiderland right now.

MechanicalBull
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Well either KFFL or Mort are wrong on this one

Report: Lions will take Baylor tackle Smith with No.1 pick
Maybe the Detroit Lions don't have a decision to make on draft day. According to KFFL, an online news service, the Lions have settled on Baylor tackle Jason Smith as the No.1 pick.

KFFL issued a one-sentence report regarding the pick: ""KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft."

Sunday, MLive.com reported the Lions had begun the negotiating process with the player it expected to select with the No.1 pick. That player was not identified.

Source: KFFL

montrose
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Well either KFFL or Mort are wrong on this one

My money's on Mort.

Paladin
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Everything Mort says here is reasonable and believable. And it also further leads to the conclusion that this whole thing was much ado about almost nothing and all the drama queens need to relax and give McDaniels a chance. Other than treating Jay like an adult he really didn't do anything "wrong" so let's dispense with the cute nicknames already!

[SIZE="7"]QFT[!!!!!!/SIZE]

Drama queens and morons just f*** up the whole board and driving it to h3ll in a handbasket..........

wandlc
03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
McD's system is no more complex than what Jay has already learned. Besides he spent last offseason studying the NE offense, so that will help. Also, he has adapted to the speed of the game very well which will also help him because he will be able to focus more on the offense than on trying to not get killed.

Circle Orange
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM

paragraph 1...that was reported as factual and was a lot of hoo based on speculation only.

paragraph 2...odd that the same people were saying half the league were hot for cutler, including the lions. Now this?

paragraph 3....the overkill continues about Brady. Unknown quantity with another team situation, coming off major injury. Maybe Mort wants to see Peyton running for his life here, but I don't. And he won't have a comfort zone of receivers either. Enough, there's more than two qbs in the league.

paragraph 4...there's been noise from the Jets, mostly. I haven't read much of anything about the Titans, other than idle speculation.

paragraph 5...I don't know where the browns are at, but again, wasn't there 'speculation' that the broncos have interest in quinn? more nonsense that changes every other day.

paragraph 6...whether the two sit down and talk or not is moot. the question becomes how professional does cutler want to be? don't be surprised even if he plays in denver this year, he could still end up elsewhere. I wouldn't put it past management to make jay look good as possible so they can get maximum value for him down the road.

so there. and Bus Cook is still da debbil.