PDA

View Full Version : Petey King: I don't see Cutler getting traded

Pseudofool
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Apologies if this has been posted. News Item: I don't see Jay Cutler getting traded.

That's my feeling after talking to the involved parties for a (insert shameless plug here) Sports Illustrated story this week. Now, I can't say with conviction that Cutler's going to be the Broncos' opening day starter, but I do think coach Josh McDaniels will exhaust every avenue to try to get Cutler to stay, and I do think nothing's going to happen here. Funny thing is, around the lobby and meeting rooms, I couldn't find any coach who thought the Broncos should even think of trading Cutler.

"Say you're the Broncos, and Tampa Bay offers you two ones [two first-round picks] plus [second-year quarterback] Josh Johnson for Cutler,'' one NFC coach told me. "Denver makes the deal and picks a quarterback with one of the ones. You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts too. Denver's problem is they could never get fair value for him.''

I called Charlie Weis, the Notre Dame coach and mentor of McDaniels, and asked what I considered the biggest question McDaniels must ask himself as he figures how far he'll go to keep Cutler: If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

"It's a rhetorical question, but it's one I definitely would ask,'' said Weis, who left the Patriots' for Notre Dame in 2005, ceding the offensive coordinator's role to McDaniels. "That thought would go through my mind. You've got to be able to coach a quarterback, and coach him hard. You don't want to start your relationship that way.

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Last week, the venom from the Cutler camp was so toxic I said I thought he'd have to be traded. But it was interesting here, listening to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speak to the body of league people (including McDaniels) and media here Sunday night. She talked at one point about how "history has a long arc,'' and how you have to take a long view of things. If you're always chasing the day's headlines, she said, you'll eventually become so reactionary that you'll ignore long-term good for short-term satisfaction, and you'll fail. I was thinking of McDaniels and Denver management. I think, like Rice used to do in the Middle East, the Broncos will exhaust all diplomatic means. And with agent Bus Cook on record as saying Cutler will report to mandatory mini-camps and training camp, why trade the guy, there's certainly no reason to do anything fast ... even if that means you don't have a definitive answer on Cutler by draft day.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/index.html

vancejohnson82
03-23-2009, 09:15 AM
wow, a very good outlook on the whole thing

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Great, Peter King said he doesn't see him being traded, so that means he will be traded.

At least that NFC coach knows what the **** he's talking about.

"You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts too."

BroncoFiend
03-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Apologies if this has been posted.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/22/owners/index.html

I hope this turns out to be true. If the Broncos are going to take a risk, why not risk that by working together Cutler and McD can work things out. They don't have to love each other, just be able to work together.

I really think that once things are moving and Jay is with his teammates this whole thing might just fizzle out with an anticlimactic ending..That's what I hope anyway.

broncofan2438
03-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I like what I read. Hopefully its true. Cutler aint going anywhere

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Apologies if this has been posted.

Good. I hope Cutler and McD work everything out in practice and in team meetings. They don't have to like each other, but they do have to work together.

As other posters have suggested, this may be the best slap in the face Cutler can receive in order to get his game to the next level.

I like McD's message that the team comes first. He just needs to polish his managment style and learn from his mistakes.

Pseudofool
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Like I've been saying, nothing short of King's Ransom is going to get Cutler out of town.

colonelbeef
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Great, Peter King said he doesn't see him being traded, so that means he will be traded.

At least that NFC coach knows what the **** he's talking about.

"You've traded the best young quarterback in football for two guys who might have a chance, but might be washouts too."

Anybody on the orangemane who even considers trading Cutler a respectable possibility needs to read this comment 100x until it thoroughly permeates their thick skulls

Pseudofool
03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Good. I hope Cutler and McD work everything out in practice and in team meetings. They don't have to like each other, but they do have to work together.

As other posters have suggested, this may be the best slap in the face Cutler can receive in order to get his game to the next level.

I like McD's message that the team comes first. He just needs to polish his managment style and learn from his mistakes. I agree. Cutler's going to face a choice. Learn and trust this guy. Or spend three years pouting and deflating your value.

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense.

A question many have asked here too.

Answer? Cutler's agent!

Pseudofool
03-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Answer? Cutler's agent!Exactly. This question certainly points in the direction that this whole stunt has always been about the contract. If Cook isn't present at any meeting, the premise of Jay's pout dematerializes.

TheDave
03-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Since you know McDaniels is his source... This is real good news.

Now we just need to figure out how to get Cutler off of his "Trade Me" stance.

MagicHef
03-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Since you know McDaniels is his source... This is real good news.

Now we just need to figure out how to get Cutler off of his "Trade Me" stance.

$

Pseudofool
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Now we just need to figure out how to get Cutler off of his "Trade Me" stance. At least publicly we do. It doesn't really matter how much an unhappy camper he is, as long as he's not pouting consistently to the press. Like others have said, it's hard to imagine this continuing when mandatory workouts commence.

crazyhorse
03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I really dont see Cutler getting traded. Never have. I dont see a new contract either. Why would you give him one? At some point, you tell him to show up or start giving his paychecks back. He has no leverage. I think he has pretty much shot his wad with what little ammo McDaniels gave him and Cook. Cutler and Cook have rode the trade scandal to the end line.

It will be quiet for awhile. Then he will decide to play nice and play out the season.

The only way he is traded is if McDaniels wants to trade him. IMO.

montrose
03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree with King, I have the past week. I just don't see him being moved this season unless they get a ridiculous offer. I do, however, think he'll be dealt after this season.

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with King, I have the past week. I just don't see him being moved this season unless they get a ridiculous offer. I do, however, think he'll be dealt after this season.

For that to happen, a trade next year, Cutler is gonna have to have a bad season. He's gonna have to play lousy and pout on the side line. Now, that's a distinct possibility given the fact that it's a new system with new coaches, but if he has any kind of competitive spirit, he'll make the offense a scoring maching, just to show McD how wrong he is.

BroncoFiend
03-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Why is that?

I suppose there could just be blow up after blow up this season causing McD to have to trade him just to get the team moving forward, but if the plan is to trade him, then why not now? Get a QB in here to start learning the system inctead of starting all over next year.

Pseudofool
03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Jay's value is probably higher now than it will be next offseason.

Smiling Assassin27
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Anybody on the orangemane who even considers trading Cutler a respectable possibility needs to read this comment 100x until it thoroughly permeates their thick skulls

Bull pucky. Just because Kingy goes through ONE possible scenario with us doesn't mean that others won't materialize that make trading Cutler a possibility. If we get a Herschel Walker style trade offer, then Cutler is, and ought to be, gone. The guy's a good, young qb but is also what we call an asset. Sometimes, you unload assets for the sake of adding assets--it's called 'business'.

Of course, many here, who envision Jay as the second coming of Thor, will think we got hosed even if we do get 3 1'sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds for him. Think objectively, not with your man-crush gland.

El Guapo
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
$

:rofl:

lex
03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I really dont see Cutler getting traded. Never have. I dont see a new contract either. Why would you give him one? At some point, you tell him to show up or start giving his paychecks back. He has no leverage. I think he has pretty much shot his wad with what little ammo McDaniels gave him and Cook. Cutler and Cook have rode the trade scandal to the end line.

It will be quiet for awhile. Then he will decide to play nice and play out the season.

The only way he is traded is if McDaniels wants to trade him. IMO.

As much as Pat wants to say he supports McDaniels, trading Cutler isnt a decision that he can take lightly at this point. As it is, he and the rest of the front office have an approval rating of around 30%. If he trades Cutler, there are all kinds of ways this move blows up in his face. But by holding on to Cutler he can postpone a decision until a point in time where he may decide to keep Cutler and dump McDaniels or vice versa. But right now, this is a powder keg that can end badly in a variety of ways.

TonyR
03-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Yep. I'm going to put the whole quote here again because I think it's important:

"Look, I'm not taking sides here. I know Josh very well, and I don't know Jay. But the one question I would ask is: Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision?''

Come on, Jay. It really is common sense.

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM

IMO its too early to know what's going on. Of course we'd all be dumb to assume either way til draft is over. Unless we give him big money contract I agree I'd expect him dealt next offseason for sure. At this point its up to Cutler if he continues his act(Cook) up to mini camp and doesn't show its over. Winning would help but, if we sputter in 09 like most of us think it could get ugly again TY COOK.

Popps
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 10:26 AM
It just doesn't make sense to trade him. Cassal and a couple high picks made a little sense, but nothing now does. Cutler under contract for 3 more yrs, he has little leverage.

If Cutler shows up for mini camps then I think all will be ok. I think at this point both and he and Mcdaniels are trying to save face. Cutler wants to act like he was really upset, so people will understand and not hat him, Mcdaniels doesn't want to start off his Broncos tenure kissing a players ass.

I think once Cutler can say well I am under contract and I am a man of my word, so I'm here to play football. And Mcdaniels can say he's playing under my terms, then all will be well.

After that it will be all about winning. If they win together they will love each other, if they don't they won't.

colonelbeef
03-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Bull pucky. Just because Kingy goes through ONE possible scenario with us doesn't mean that others won't materialize that make trading Cutler a possibility. If we get a Herschel Walker style trade offer, then Cutler is, and ought to be, gone. The guy's a good, young qb but is also what we call an asset. Sometimes, you unload assets for the sake of adding assets--it's called 'business'.

Of course, many here, who envision Jay as the second coming of Thor, will think we got hosed even if we do get 3 1'sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds for him. Think objectively, not with your man-crush gland.

there is one huge counterpoint to grabbing all of these picks which your view ostensibly overlooks.

Paying 3 #1 picks would destroy the salary cap for years to come. If one is a bust, you have just blown twice what it would have cost to keep Jay around and happy for the longterm in the first place.

Herschel Walker was a RB, not a QB. Rb's are much more easily replaced than potential 15 year star QB's.

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
If I have to kiss this kid's feet and kowtow to him to make him feel comfortable enough to stay, is that any way to form a coach-player relationship with the most important player on the team?

Why wouldn't anyone faced with such a big decision not go have a one-on-one meeting with the coach? It's common sense. Even if you end up telling the guy to go to hell, don't you have to actually talk face to face, alone, before making such a huge career decision

To be fair, Popps, it was noted that Cutler went to see McDaniels at Dove Valley and waited for 45 minutes outside his office before leaving. I don't know all of the story, I wasn't there, I'm just saying that it seems that he did attempt to do this.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Paying 3 #1 picks would destroy the salary cap for years to come. If one is a bust, you have just blown twice what it would have cost to keep Jay around and happy for the longterm in the first place.

The cap is going away next year, and no, even if the cap was remaining, 3 1sts would not kill the cap.

Smiling Assassin27
03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
there is one huge counterpoint to grabbing all of these picks which your view ostensibly overlooks.

Herschel Walker was a RB, not a QB. Rb's are much more easily replaced than potential 15 year star QB's.

I see two things I disagree with.

First, top tier qb's are not necessary to winning a superbowl. They are in no way a guarantee of future success (success being defined as a superbowl champ). Teams win games and defenses win super bowls, IMO. The Pats teams that won titles were not prolific passing teams, but were balanced, innovative, and defensively dominant. We can win a super bowl with a guy that's not a top 5 qb, but with a dominant defense, special teams, and running game.

Second, nobody's saying that we draft all #1's, but maybe we trade them down and stockpile, building a team of 2's, 3's and 4's with an occasional 1. This seems to be the way to build a team, and given the right deal for Cutler, we could go this route. The goal is to build into a perennial contender and if jettisoning a star qb is the way, so be it. Now if we draft as spotty as Shanny has for his tenure, the trade becomes substantially less valuable to us.

Cito Pelon
03-23-2009, 11:41 AM

I guess it all depends on how far Jay wants to take the dispute. If the kid thinks the grass is gonna be greener somewhere else, then the kid is an idiot.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
If the kid thinks the grass is gonna be greener somewhere else, then the kid is an idiot.

I don't know about that. TB consistently wins the "best playing surface" award that the players vote on each year.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
To be fair, Popps, it was noted that Cutler went to see McDaniels at Dove Valley and waited for 45 minutes outside his office before leaving. I don't know all of the story, I wasn't there, I'm just saying that it seems that he did attempt to do this.

Wrong-o. Sorry, but that was the day before free agency began, not after all this stuff went down.

Cito Pelon
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM

HUH??? Was that supposed to be a joke, Champ?

USMCBladerunner
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM

I think you are confused. That meeting attempt was on the Friday that free-agency started. The S didn't hit the fan until that weekend.

Since then, Cutler only met face-to-face once, and he had Cook with him at his insistance.

Chris
03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Like Rice they might really suck at their jobs.