PDA

View Full Version : Jets want Cutler

TonyR
03-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Cut us in on any Jay Cutler deal, Jets tell Broncos
Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 10:35 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. - Jay Cutler wants out of Denver and the Jets have told the Broncos they want him if they decide to trade him.

Multiple sources told the Daily News Sunday at the opening of the NFL meetings that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum contacted the Broncos to let them know the Jets are very interested in trading for Cutler. But the Jets have yet to make a trade offer, and the Broncos have not said what they want, because Denver has not determined the Cutler situation is beyond repair.

But this much is clear: The Jets are definitely in the Cutler Derby. They will closely monitor the situation and are prepared to put together a package when the Broncos tell them the time has arrived. "Of course the Jets want Cutler," one source said. "Why wouldn't they?"

The Broncos want to meet one more time with Cutler to see if they can end his feud with rookie coach Josh McDaniels before they start soliciting offers.

Cutler is upset that McDaniels tried to deal him to Tampa Bay in a three-way deal that would have brought Matt Cassel from New England to Denver. He was further incensed when McDaniels didn't appease him in a face-to-face meeting after Cassel wound up being traded to Kansas City. The Jets will face strong competition from the Bucs and Bears if Cutler is available. Last summer, the Jets outbid the Bucs for Brett Favre.

Where does this leave the Jets' quarterback situation?

Tannenbaum, coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer were in Manhattan, Kan., last week to work out Kansas State QB Josh Freeman, who may be working his way into the top half of the first round. The Jets are picking 17th on April 25. Ryan said Sunday he liked what he saw of Freeman. Ryan also said the Jets will work out Southern Cal QB Matt Sanchez this week while he and Tannenbaum are on the West Coast for the league meetings. Sanchez has been training in Southern California. They are not spending much time on Georgia's Matt Stafford, expected to go No. 1 to the Lions.

If nothing changes, Ryan said Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff will go into training camp as "1 and 1-A. Clemens may get the first snap, but then 1-A is Ratliff. This is clearly an open competition. Erik Ainge, if he comes around and lights it up, he will be in there."

Ryan told the Daily News Sunday that the first conversation he had with Favre as the Jets' head coach came when Favre contacted the team in February to let them know he was retiring. Ryan said he wanted Favre to play for him this season, but didn't feel it would be appropriate for him to call Favre to recruit him.

"I never wanted to push him one way or the other. He played the game long enough that he knows what is best for him and his family," Ryan said.

He said he didn't believe he could have talked Favre into playing another year. "We don't have that kind of relationship," he said. "I've never met Brett."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/03/22/2009-03-22_cut_us_in_on_any_jay_cutler_deal_jets_te.html

cousinal11
03-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Why the heck I got excited at the McDaniels hiring I don't know.

A buddy of mine that is a Dallas fan said to me the other day, "Now you know what it's like to be a Cowboys fan."

That is what this has come to, we are the laughing stock of the NFL right now.

Atwater His Ass
03-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Why the heck I got excited at the McDaniels hiring I don't know.

A buddy of mine that is a Dallas fan said to me the other day, "Now you know what it's like to be a Cowboys fan."

That is what this has come to, we are the laughing stock of the NFL right now.

Yeah, I had this revelation a couple of weeks ago. We didn't really know how good we had it, even if it was time for Shanahan to go.

Broncoman13
03-23-2009, 06:16 AM
I don't think the Jets have near enough fire power to get to Cutler.

#17 and #53 plus #1 next year doesn't get it, IMO.

What do they have that would be interesting to Cleveland?

Browns get:
David Harris

Jets get:
Cutler

Broncos get:
Quinn, #17, #53 and the Jets 2010 1st.

I'm not sure that's enough either???

s0phr0syne
03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Does anybody even know what picks the Jets have? I tried to figure it out, but I have no idea what they actually owe the Packers for Favre, because of the conditional terms of the pick compensation.

Additionally, what, if anything, do we owe the Jets for Dwayne Robertson?

oubronco
03-23-2009, 06:23 AM
I Hate McDaniels

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't think the Jets have near enough fire power to get to Cutler.

#17 and #53 plus #1 next year doesn't get it, IMO.

What do they have that would be interesting to Cleveland?

Browns get:
David Harris

Jets get:
Cutler

Broncos get:
Quinn, #17, #53 and the Jets 2010 1st.

I'm not sure that's enough either???

actually the jets could offer us there 17th overall this year, a 2nd or 3rd rd pick, and brett ratliff, plus a 2010 1st rounder i bet denver wouldnt decline....

ratliff is a beastly spread QB.....and we really could probally swing getting 2 first rd picks. imagine the 17th/ 53rd this year plus ratliff and a 2010 first rd pick...not happy about cutler leaving but thats not a bad package at all

cdabroncofan
03-23-2009, 06:29 AM
What about if the jets throw in D.Revis, l heard that the other day on NFL radio

Steve Sewell
03-23-2009, 06:29 AM
I Hate McDaniels

At this point, I'm in the same boat. This hiring has been a disaster so far.

Wes Mantooth
03-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Worst offseason ever.

Bronco Rob
03-23-2009, 06:37 AM
I Hate McDaniels

Josh McNugget should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

laces out JOSH!

want2bAbronco2
03-23-2009, 06:44 AM
I would rather keep Jay and have them work it out, but I'll wait till Mcdaniels actually coachs/Broncos play a game before I call him a bust/worest off season ever.

Drek
03-23-2009, 06:48 AM
The Jets could get it done. If they'd give us this:

2010 2nd rounder
Leon Washington
Brett Ratliff
one of David Harris/Calvin Pace/Vernon Gholston

Not a penny less.

lex
03-23-2009, 06:49 AM
What about if the jets throw in D.Revis, l heard that the other day on NFL radio

Too much money tied up at CB. Weve had that problem the past couple of years. Kris Jenkins would be better.

lex
03-23-2009, 06:50 AM

2010 2nd rounder
Leon Washington
Brett Ratliff

Not a penny less.

**** no on Leon Washington. We just signed Arrington. And Gholston is just a big contract at this point. Jenkins would be best.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 06:50 AM

2010 2nd rounder
Leon Washington
Brett Ratliff

Not a penny less.

what if they made it a 2010 first rd pick/brett ratliff/leon washington plus the 17th and 53 this year...lol

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 06:51 AM
**** no on Leon Washington. We just signed Arrington. And Gholston is just a big contract at this point. Jenkins would be best.

we wouldnt even get to sniff jenkins he is the main reason they were so good against the run overall last year....

lex
03-23-2009, 06:52 AM
what if they made it a 2010 first rd pick/brett ratliff/leon washington plus the 17th and 53 this year...lol

WTH, with Leon Washington? We just signed 3 mediocre RBs including Arrington.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 06:53 AM
WTH, with Leon Washington? We just signed 3 mediocre RBs including Arrington.

i was kind of joking with him because of that point.....lol...

i personally belive that the 17th 53 this year plus a 2010 first rounder and brett ratliff is enough.....i highly value ratliff, perhaps im on crack but still....lol

lex
03-23-2009, 06:55 AM
we wouldnt even get to sniff jenkins he is the main reason they were so good against the run overall last year....

That depends on how much they want Cutler.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Additionally, what, if anything, do we owe the Jets for Dwayne Robertson?

They confirmed that nothing is owed for him. He didn't play in the required percentage of snaps.

BMarsh615
03-23-2009, 07:02 AM
actually the jets could offer us there 17th overall this year, a 2nd or 3rd rd pick, and brett ratliff, plus a 2010 1st rounder i bet denver wouldnt decline....

ratliff is a beastly spread QB.....and we really could probally swing getting 2 first rd picks. imagine the 17th/ 53rd this year plus ratliff and a 2010 first rd pick...not happy about cutler leaving but thats not a bad package at all

If Brett Ratliff is Denver's starting QB next season I will shoot myself in the face.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 07:06 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

can you imagine poor, sensitive little Cutler getting manhandled by the NYC media?

Careful what you wish for, kid.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 07:11 AM
If Brett Ratliff is Denver's starting QB next season I will shoot myself in the face.

good becasue you obviosuly dont know much about brett ratliff and his potential....perhaps you should realize this is a business, and regardless of who is right or wrong there is a very good chance our starting Qb next year will be someone half the denver fans dont like!!!....

if you shoot yourself in the face thats just one less fan said qb Has to impress....*shrugs*

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
That depends on how much they want Cutler.

not as bad as a good run defense look at their head coach....Rex ryan....i guarentee he wants a good defense and it starts with kris jenkins anchoring....he is key to there 3-4 defense....he proved it last year. and rest assured Rex ryan knows how important a NT is to that defense. especially since they are far from having a shot at raji or brace in the draft.

jenkins wont even be discussed. and if it happens i will humbly eat crow...but i am 100% sure jenkins wont be in the discussions from the jets side...Denver may ask...but thats it.

Drek
03-23-2009, 07:17 AM

Arrington isn't guaranteed much money at all and is therefore not a lock to stay on the roster, whereas Leon Washington is a known producer who is also great on special teams. I'd take Washington over him or anyone else in our backfield for that matter (including Hillis).

And Gholston does have a big contract, mostly guaranteed money that the Jets would eat. You'd then give Mike Nolan a raw but very athletically gifted project to develop. Developing LBs has long been his specialty. The Jets probably couldn't afford the cap hit though, and throwing Gholston out would primarily be a bargaining stance to show a willingness to deal, but ultimately force them into sending Pace or Harris (probably Harris).

We'll never get a shot at Jenkins, no matter how much they want Cutler, because that would tear just as big a hole in their defense as Cutler would patch in their offense. They aren't moving off the 3-4 so they need an NT just as badly as we do.

DrFate
03-23-2009, 07:42 AM
If Brett Retliff is such a commodity, why do the Jets want Cutler?

???

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 08:04 AM
If Brett Retliff is such a commodity, why do the Jets want Cutler?

???

brett ratliff is a spread Qb the jets run a pro style offense....thats why kellen clemens is getting first dibs...and the fact he was a second rd pick while ratliff was undrafted.....

however ratliff almost overcame clemens last year. he has a knack for learning new systems, and he was donwright beastly for the spread offesne utah ran....problem is when draft time came he was in a heavy qb draft class and was a spread Qb. the only team running a serious spread???? thats right new england.....

and ratliff isnt even on most peoples radar because he is a back-up. however i follow the draft and college avidly, and he was a great Spread Qb.....he has great instincts, a uncanny ability for learning new offense, as well as confidence, arm strength and mobility.....

let it be known his first TD pass last year was a 71 yd TD pass...yeah it was preseason but it was beautiful....he follwed that up the following week with a 70 yd TD bomb....he has everything MCD looks for as well as some intagibles that could be a bonus....he almost beat out a second rd pick last year as a spread Qb learning a pro offense....he has serious potential under the right coaching....and we dont waste a draft pick on a QB

no-pseudo-fan
03-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I don't know how this is news. Jets want Cutler, big deal. Cutler not for sale, that is the headline I am looking for.

Crushaholic
03-23-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't know how this is news. Jets want Cutler, big deal. Cutler not for sale, that is the headline I am looking for.

The Broncos have already stated that Cutler won't be traded, but some people still aren't believing it...

lex
03-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Arrington isn't guaranteed much money at all and is therefore not a lock to stay on the roster, whereas Leon Washington is a known producer who is also great on special teams. I'd take Washington over him or anyone else in our backfield for that matter (including Hillis).

And Gholston does have a big contract, mostly guaranteed money that the Jets would eat. You'd then give Mike Nolan a raw but very athletically gifted project to develop. Developing LBs has long been his specialty. The Jets probably couldn't afford the cap hit though, and throwing Gholston out would primarily be a bargaining stance to show a willingness to deal, but ultimately force them into sending Pace or Harris (probably Harris).

We'll never get a shot at Jenkins, no matter how much they want Cutler, because that would tear just as big a hole in their defense as Cutler would patch in their offense. They aren't moving off the 3-4 so they need an NT just as badly as we do.

No thanks. Id rather have the Goodmans in the fold and draft picks.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 08:21 AM
The Broncos have already stated that Cutler won't be traded, but some people still aren't believing it...

its mostly just topic filler....i dont belive cutler will be traded either i think it was just a media move.

if the trade was really looming, cutlers camp never would have comitted to participating in all mandatory activities as long as he is still a bronco....

its all just media hub bub at this point because of the league owners meetings....

SonOfLe-loLang
03-23-2009, 08:48 AM
My gut feeling says Jay Cutler is taking snaps for the denver broncos this season.

montrose
03-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Too bad for the Jets they have nothing to offer Denver that's even remotely enticing. They'd have to get another team involved (probably Cleveland) and that 3rd team isn't going to hop into discussions for the hell of it.

bronco militia
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Multiple sources told the Daily News Sunday at the opening of the NFL meetings that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum contacted the Broncos to let them know the Jets are very interested in trading for Cutler. But the Jets have yet to make a trade offer, and the Broncos have not said what they want, because Denver has not determined the Cutler situation is beyond repair.

But this much is clear: The Jets are definitely in the Cutler Derby

LOL! what a waste of time

lex
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM

Thats true as of right now but that might easily change. Its a very volatile situation. Will Cutler attend the mandatory sessions? He most likely will but I also wouldnt be absolutely shocked if he didnt, especially if this next meeting doesnt go well. Also, even if Jay does come up if theres friction and Josh feels threatened, they may have to trade him.

ZONA
03-23-2009, 08:54 AM
I Hate McDaniels

Dude, your a tool. Every post that comes out now we can expect to see your immature statement of "I hate McDaniels". What, are you like 11 years old or something. Get a life you D bag.

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Dude, your a tool. Every post that comes out now we can expect to see your immature statement of "I hate McDaniels". What, are you like 11 years old or something. Get a life you D bag.

Since you just used the word "D Bag" I feel compelled to lump you in with him.

oubronco
03-23-2009, 10:19 AM

I wonder why? McD has been totally honest from the start :spit:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I wonder why? McD has been totally honest from the start :spit:

Keep desperately holding on to that, in spite of the fact that a trade proposal never crossed Bowlen's desk, and Belichick has now said that there was no legit three team deal on the table or anywhere near the table, and nobody ever said "do you want to deal" to him about Cassel.

Oh, and he contacted the supposed "interested" teams about Cassel 24-48 hours prior to trading him to KC. The response, from all those teams: "We are not interested in the player."

Awww, shucks. Don'tcha hate it when the argument you've used over and over again gets flushed down the toilet?

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Keep desperately holding on to that, in spite of the fact that a trade proposal never crossed Bowlen's desk, and Belichick has now said that there was no legit three team deal on the table or anywhere near the table, and nobody ever said "do you want to deal" to him about Cassel.

Oh, and he contacted the supposed "interested" teams about Cassel 24-48 hours prior to trading him to KC. The response, from all those teams: "We are not interested in the player."

Awww, shucks. Don'tcha hate it when the argument you've used over and over again gets flushed down the toilet?

In oubronco's defense, you are relying on Bill Belichick's honesty in every one of your counterpoints above. That seems fairly comical in and of itself.

maher_tyler
03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
:bs:

Broncoman13
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM

Says who? You really buying into everything Bilicheat says?

TonyR
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
In oubronco's defense, you are relying on Bill Belichick's honesty in every one of your counterpoints above. That seems fairly comical in and of itself.

Fair and true. But what would be Belichick's motivation or incentive to lie about this? What happened jives with what he said. If there were better offers the outcome logically would have been different. And I understand that things aren't always logical, but without proof otherwise Belichick's story is better than the one the media is spinning.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 12:18 PM

If the question to Belichick was "Did Josh McDaniels REALLY try to trade Cutler," and then Belichick answered how he did, I would believe the story a lot less. But he was asked about how the entire trade went down. Remember, please, that he's already under some scrutiny for taking a second rounder when Denver was allegedly wanting to send more.

He was asked how the entire situation happened, and step by step, he dissected it. Didn't mention McDaniels or the Broncos by name one time in the article.

Furthermore, Belichick would have a LOT more to gain by letting a fellow AFC team twist in the wind, and what he said actually legitimizes Josh McDaniels' version of things. Why would he do so if it got him zero advantage?

Doesn't make sense.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Says who? You really buying into everything Bilicheat says?

Are you really buying everything that Bus Cook says? Or Jay Cutler? Or Chris effing Mortenson?

Malcontent
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
brett ratliff is a spread Qb the jets run a pro style offense....thats why kellen clemens is getting first dibs...and the fact he was a second rd pick while ratliff was undrafted.....

however ratliff almost overcame clemens last year. he has a knack for learning new systems, and he was donwright beastly for the spread offesne utah ran....problem is when draft time came he was in a heavy qb draft class and was a spread Qb. the only team running a serious spread???? thats right new england.....

and ratliff isnt even on most peoples radar because he is a back-up. however i follow the draft and college avidly, and he was a great Spread Qb.....he has great instincts, a uncanny ability for learning new offense, as well as confidence, arm strength and mobility.....

let it be known his first TD pass last year was a 71 yd TD pass...yeah it was preseason but it was beautiful....he follwed that up the following week with a 70 yd TD bomb....he has everything MCD looks for as well as some intagibles that could be a bonus....he almost beat out a second rd pick last year as a spread Qb learning a pro offense....he has serious potential under the right coaching....and we dont waste a draft pick on a QB

Pro style offenseLOL

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Pro style offenseLOL

oh wait you must be the sarcastic guy.....get a clue about college ball and you would understand....

Malcontent
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
oh wait you must be the sarcastic guy.....get a clue about college ball and you would understand....

Uuuuh ok..you won that one genious.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Cant we all just get along...

:Broncos:

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Uuuuh ok..you won that one genious.

there is nothing to win it was a simple point*shrugs* perhaps i came off like a prick???? if that is so...it happens my bad...pro style offense is a legit term used to define a Qbs talent during scouting and where they fit

ie. matt stafford from georgia was in a pro style offense, where as chase daniel is from a spread....

like i said there is nothing to win.....

Malcontent
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
there is nothing to win it was a simple point*shrugs* perhaps i came off like a prick???? if that is so...it happens my bad...pro style offense is a legit term used to define a Qbs talent during scouting and where they fit

ie. matt stafford from georgia was in a pro style offense, where as chase daniel is from a spread....

like i said there is nothing to win.....

I didn't need the explanation pal. But hey...whatever floats your boat..

Rock Chalk
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
I want a ferrari.

Doesnt mean Im going to get it.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
I didn't need the explanation pal. But hey...whatever floats your boat..

i guess my boats floating then huh...lol.....just saying my bad if i came off like a prick...

Malcontent
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
i guess my boats floating then huh...lol.....just saying my bad if i came off like a prick...

;D

Dagmar
03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
http://yourargumentisinvalid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/the_cat_is_pushing_a_watermelon_out_of_a_lake.jpg