PDA

View Full Version : hillis, young, torain on trade block

tsiguy96
03-23-2009, 06:19 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11974189

DANA POINT, Calif. — There is uncertainty at quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be any uncertainty regarding the type of player the Broncos want from their No. 12 overall draft pick.

The Broncos want defense. And new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have influence in the decision as to which defensive player to take. Nolan personally worked out three top defensive prospects in the past week — Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing and Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

The Broncos also have worked out Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin and Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes. Orakpo and Barwin are considered 3-4 outside linebackers who also can line up in a three-point stance on pass-rushing downs.

Other pass-rushing defensive ends-outside linebackers the Broncos may consider are Florida State's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin. The Broncos also like LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Running back for trade.

Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

Bowlen celebrates 25 years.

Today marks the 25th anniversary of when Pat Bowlen officially bought the Broncos from Edgar Kaiser.

"Do I get a gold watch?" Bowlen said, laughing.

No, he gets a quarterback controversy. Jay Cutler wants to be traded. The Broncos have been talking with teams interested in Cutler at the NFL owners meetings.

The highlight of Bowlen's 25 years?

"That's easy: Super Bowl XXXII," Bowlen said of the first of his team's back-to- back league championships. "Winning that game in San Diego after losing three (Super Bowls) — it was by far my biggest thrill."
Submit Your Question

Mike Klis tackles reader questions about the Broncos and NFL.

And, no, the Cutler controversy isn't among the toughest ordeals Bowlen has experienced. He picked two others.

"Looking back at it, I'd have to say losing the first one," Bowlen said of Super Bowl XXI, when Phil Simms, father of current Broncos quarterback Chris Simms, completed 22-of-25 passes for the victorious New York Giants. "Because you really don't know what it's like. You go into that, you're not thinking about losing.

"And Darrent Williams was certainly one of the worst things I've ever had to go through as Broncos owner, as a human being."

Williams, a 24-year-old cornerback who came to the Broncos from Oklahoma State, was slain in a drive-by shooting in Denver on Jan. 1, 2007.

atomicbloke
03-23-2009, 06:22 AM
@!@#$#%#$(%$@(%$^$

#$#$#($#($@#$#$%$^)%&

I am officially in panic mode.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 06:23 AM

this has already been posted....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=78699

its even bolded....

but for the sake of your this i doubt torain even has trade value....hillis is coming of a torn hamstring so his value is weaker than people realize, and selvin may or may not catch a sixth or seventh rd pick because of his injury history....all players can be on the trade block.... sounds like some overspeculation by the writer to me.....

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Buckhalter and Jordan would hopefully be the first to go as they're old as dirt.

crazyhorse
03-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Isn't Hillis a FB?

If so, he might have late round value.

dbfan21
03-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Hillis and Torain won't be traded. If anything, Young will get cut...maybe Torain too. Heck, all three of them could be cut for that matter.

None of them have any heavy trade value...maybe a 5th or 6th...especially considering they're all coming off IR.

Hillis and Torain better get a shot in training camp. I think they can earn a spot on the roster, if given a fair chance.

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Why are we considering trading Hillis?

Look at it this way: he's Lamont Jordan only younger with more upside.

This is the same Hillis that comes cheap, and led the team in rushing last year.

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 06:37 AM
All Hillis did was make plays last year when he was in.
If McDaniels can't see that, which he probably doesn't, then he's really as dumb as we're all beginning to think.

SnowGoose77
03-23-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm not ready to proclaim Hillis an All Pro halfback like some around here but I cannot understand why the h^ll they wouldn't want him to be part of the team. His size, speed, hands and ability to get tough yards are a rare package plus he appears to play with a drive most of the other scrubs we had never came close to possessing. ???

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm not ready to proclaim Hillis an All Pro halfback like some around here but I cannot understand why the h^ll they wouldn't want him to be part of the team. His size, speed, hands and ability to get tough yards are a rare package plus he appears to play with a drive most of the other scrubs we had never came close to possessing. ???

Hillis is one tough mofo. People say he isn't fast but he logged 4.5 speed. He's a beast. He never avoids contact - he welcomes it. So many times, mainy in the Jets and Chiefs game, I saw him get hit behind the line an just power through for a 2-3 yard gain.

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 06:42 AM
That conversion on 4th and 1 against the Browns tells you all you need to know about Hillis.

theAPAOps5
03-23-2009, 06:47 AM
That article says they are talking about trade then lists the RB's. Doesn't specifically say which one. That and Hillis is a FB.

frerottenextelway
03-23-2009, 06:56 AM
If Hillis isn't traded he'll p'bly be cut anyways.

Atwater His Ass
03-23-2009, 07:01 AM
If Hillis isn't traded he'll p'bly be cut anyways.

why?

frerottenextelway
03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
why?

Writing seems to be on the wall.

There was a DP article the other day that said he likely wouldn't ge given a chance to win the starting job. Add that to all the new blood specificially brought in at the RB position, Josh not using a FB, and it just seems to me that he has decided to go another direction.

Of course I could be wrong. :)

oubronco
03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I can't take anymore of this!! if I ever meet this McD i'm gonna kick the shyt out of him if he trades Cutler and Hillis

HorseHead
03-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Please Santa, don't let them trade my boy Peyton "The Hammer" Hillis...

Major suckage...great, it must be Monday...

NYC Bronco
03-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Hillis = Heath Evans for McD

broncofan7
03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm surprised that Andre Hall was not listed as well. He ius on our roster still no? IMHO Young and Hall will be axed with Hillis and Torain remaining on the club to battle it out in TC unless we surprise everyone and draft a RB like Knowshon or that guy from UConn, Donald Brown.

oubronco
03-23-2009, 07:23 AM
I Hate McDaniels

Orange_Beard
03-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Torain and Young have no value.

Trading Hillis would force to me to ask AGAIN, Has McDaniel even seen the Broncos play?

maher_tyler
03-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Please Santa, don't let them trade my boy Peyton "The Hammer" Hillis...

Major suckage...great, it must be Monday...

Sounds like you have a case of the Mondays

LOL

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Move Graham or Schffler to WR and Hillis to TE.

I just don't get all these offensive signings: Gaffney, Jordan, Buckhalter, Arrington ... old dudes with no upside.

We better keep Hillis. We better keep Scheffler.

Ideally, our primary set will be a double-TE set with Scheffler and Graham, Royal and Marshall on the out side (subbing in Stokley/Gaffney for Graham/Scheffler) and HILLIS in the backfield.

Won't happen though.

Drek
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Writing seems to be on the wall.

There was a DP article the other day that said he likely wouldn't ge given a chance to win the starting job. Add that to all the new blood specificially brought in at the RB position, Josh not using a FB, and it just seems to me that he has decided to go another direction.

Of course I could be wrong. :)

Ask Heath Evans if the Pats keep a FB on the roster.

Also, the Denver Post has been singing this same song and dance from day one. They've insinuated that McDaniels is going to trade nearly everyone from the offensive side of the ball, which is just asinine.

They have no inside sources within the Broncos. Their sources left with the old regime. Now they're just throwing **** against the wall hoping something sticks.

broncofan7
03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Gaffney is a solid signing for a #4 WR--he was productive in NE and knows the system. Jordan & Buckhalter are better backs than Young or Hall and Arrington was signed to take care of KOR (hopefully). Getting rid of Scheff and Hillis IMHO would be two mistakes as their trade value probably does not equate to their effectiveness, while healthy, for the Broncos

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Broncos fans are funny

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 07:40 AM
That, and they're cheap.

Edit - this is directed towards "broncofan7" not "cutthemdown"

oubronco
03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I just don't get why he comes in and F**ks up the Offense when it only needed tweaking in the red zone, One would think his focus would be to fix the Defense instead he is tearing the team apart and signing old guy's when we had a good young team

broncofan7
03-23-2009, 07:46 AM
That, and they're cheap.

Edit - this is directed towards "broncofan7" not "cutthemdown"

?

theAPAOps5
03-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Again this writer said that those 4 were on the block. It didn't specify which one. That and Hillis is listed as FB on the roster. He isn't going anywhere, thats my bet.

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Seems like Hillis would be the one guy Mcdaniles would want to keep.

If every rumor we heard when Shanny was coach came true then i would worry about every rumor now. We all know though that teams put out a lot of information and only some of it good.

At this point Broncos haven't traded or cut one important player, and they brought in a couple decent players and a good one in Dawkins. Nothing to be too excited about or too bummed IMO.

I'm looking forward to adding a coupe good young players in the draft and seeing how Mcdaniles calls the Broncos plays.

He's a great play caller, which IMO is the most important thing a coach can be good at outside of motivating the players to play hard. We will see soon enough but the way Broncos fans are acting is a joke.

DrFate
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Hillis is a good player. I have no idea how an allegedly good coach can't find a way to fit good players into 'the system'.

The other two have little/no trade value.

Maybe there is no truth to it.

Traveler
03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I just don't get why he comes in and ****s up the Offense when it only needed tweaking in the red zone, One would think his focus would be to fix the Defense instead he is tearing the team apart and signing old guy's when we had a good young team

Not to pat myself on the back, but once McDaniels was hired, I suggested he would do something like this because there was the possibility that he wouldn't get full credit if he were to win with the players he inherited from Shanahan.

tsiguy96
03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I just don't get why he comes in and ****s up the Offense when it only needed tweaking in the red zone, One would think his focus would be to fix the Defense instead he is tearing the team apart and signing old guy's when we had a good young team

thats what im wondering too. up until now i havent been critical of mcdaniels because hes done pretty good, entertaining trade offers for cutler because wed get a ton for him when he barely wants to be here. but now hes wrecklessly trading away anyone on the roster that shanny brought in regardless of talent or what they bring to the team, like scheff and hillis. its stupid at this point.

barryr
03-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Buckhalter and Jordan are both 30 years old, yet they are considered too old to play? The idiocy continues. I'd like Hillis to stay as the FB and I don't see a better one on the team, so I wouldn't understand trading him. But not like I'm going to get into hysterics if they do either like some area already doing just with the thought of it. He was a 7th round pick and let's don't forget, took several injuries before Shanahan even put him on the field. Heck, he even started Larsen at FB for a game or two ahead of him.

tsiguy96
03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Buckhalter and Jordan are both 30 years old, yet they are considered too old to play? The idiocy continues. I'd like Hillis to stay as the FB and I don't see a better one on the team, so I wouldn't understand trading him. But not like I'm going to get into hysterics if they do either like some area already doing just with the thought of it. He was a 7th round pick and let's don't forget, took several injuries before Shanahan even put him on the field. Heck, he even started Larsen at FB for a game or two ahead of him.

patriots dont use a FB

gyldenlove
03-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Well 30 is a magical age for a runningback, look at the drop in productivity from guys like Tomlinson and Alexander when they hit the big 3-0 and they were both record setting league MVPs, Jordan or Buckhalter never came close to that level. Neither Tomlinson or Alexander ever suffered serious season ending injuries either, and Jordan and Buckhalter both have at least one serious season ending injury.

I am happy we have been able to continue the trend of bringing in scrubs at the running back position, I would just be more happy if it had yielded some success over the last 5 years.

ayjackson
03-23-2009, 08:48 AM
patriots dont use a FB

They do run a FB set in short yardage. Often it was Evans. Just as often, it was Hochstien or Seymour though. But they did use Evans a fair bit over the past few years. Versatility is key and Hillis seems to have that going for them.

TonyR
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Won't happen though.

Graham to WR? Are you serious? You're right on the bolded part...

nickademus
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
All Hillis did was make plays last year when he was in.
If McDaniels can't see that, which he probably doesn't, then he's really as dumb as we're all beginning to think.

accept against a really crappy oakland team!

TonyR
03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
...but now hes wrecklessly trading away anyone on the roster that shanny brought in...

WTF are you talking about? Who has he "wrecklessly" traded away? Who has he traded at all, for that matter? You've been one of the reasonable ones here up to this point but are you going to join the drama queen brigade now?

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 08:54 AM

The ideas that get thrown out here are pretty funny. Graham at WR would be like moving Eddie Royal to RB, lol. Scheffler also not fast enough to play full time at WR. Sure he can line up out wide but he isn't a wr either.

Mcdaniels loves blocking TE and going 3 WR. Graham will have a big role in the offense and Scheffler will not. That is wh Scheff is being traded not because he isn't a good receiving TE, he is, it's because he's not big or a good blocker.

Broncos will probably be selecting a big TE at some point in the draft.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Ask Heath Evans if the Pats keep a FB on the roster.

Also, the Denver Post has been singing this same song and dance from day one. They've insinuated that McDaniels is going to trade nearly everyone from the offensive side of the ball, which is just asinine.

They have no inside sources within the Broncos. Their sources left with the old regime. Now they're just throwing **** against the wall hoping something sticks.

This is an excellent point.

The Patriots carried 1 Fullback, the aforementioned Heath Evans, on their roster. While more of a blocking FB, Evans was used in the short running game at times. I think Hillis would bring a much greater dynamic to the position with his excellent receiving skills to compliment his power running game. Hillis is not the world's greatest blocker though, and that's the only reason I do worry some about the Post's claims.

If Josh McDaniels is the offensive mastermind he has been annointed as being, then I would hope he could see the versatility, heart, and talent that Hillis brings to the table. If he cannot see the value in Hillis and find a way to utilize those skills into his "system", then I would be concerned by that.

As for Torain and Young. Meh. I'm indifferent. I hope McDanields lets everyone compete in training camp and keeps the best 4 RBs plus our KR/PR guy in Arrington (I don't really count him as a RB).

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 09:26 AM
?

They're on rookie salaries.

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM

Well maybe I'm grasping at straws here. There has to be a way to fit Scheffler and Hillis into McDaniels' system. Assuming he uses the Patriots system.

Taco John
03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Heath Evans touched the ball 11 times for 23 yards last season. For that kind of production, the coaches would probably just as soon trade Hillis, and get another defensive body to fill one of the many holes we have on defense.

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2009, 09:36 AM

As another posted already stated, Hillis is a FB, so I don't know how accurate this article is.

That being said, no way I trade Hillis. Give him one year in McD's offense and see what happens. Hillis can always be cut or traded later, if it doesn't pan out. But right now, he's got too much up side to let him walk...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-23-2009, 09:42 AM

I just don't get all these offensive signings: Gaffney, Jordan, Buckhalter, Arrington ... old dudes with no upside.

We better keep Hillis. We better keep Scheffler.

Ideally, our primary set will be a double-TE set with Scheffler and Graham, Royal and Marshall on the out side (subbing in Stokley/Gaffney for Graham/Scheffler) and HILLIS in the backfield.

Won't happen though.

Why would they run a double TE set? Why would they hire McDaniels if they wouldnt run his offense.

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I know McD likes the spread offense, so keep Hillis and line him up as a receiver. He can motion out of the backfield in a one back or "I" back formation. Jay does a 5 step drop and then makes his progressions. If he doesn't see anything he likes, he dumps it off to Hillis underneath.

Also, in an "I" back formation, he provides pass protection. If he can run the ball effectively (there's no reason he can't) then play action can work with him in the backfield.

tsiguy96
03-23-2009, 09:52 AM
WTF are you talking about? Who has he "wrecklessly" traded away? Who has he traded at all, for that matter? You've been one of the reasonable ones here up to this point but are you going to join the drama queen brigade now?

up to this point ive agreed with shopping cutler, but now it appears that half the offense is on the trading block, which is the WRONG side of the team to be trading for. we should be MAKING trades for defensive players, not trading away our young good offensive players.

Taco John
03-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I know McD likes the spread offense, so keep Hillis and line him up as a receiver. He can motion out of the backfield in a one back or "I" back formation. Jay does a 5 step drop and then makes his progressions. If he doesn't see anything he likes, he dumps it off to Hillis underneath.

Also, in an "I" back formation, he provides pass protection. If he can run the ball effectively (there's no reason he can't) then play action can work with him in the backfield.

Hillis as a spread offense receiver! :rofl: LOL

Archer81
03-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Heath Evans touched the ball 11 times for 23 yards last season. For that kind of production, the coaches would probably just as soon trade Hillis, and get another defensive body to fill one of the many holes we have on defense.

Except Hillis is not just a FB. Even McDaniels can look at game tape and realize he has a more versatile player then a straight fullback. Out of all our backs last year, he was the one with the best hands, best burst and the best in pass protection...as a rookie. Makes sense to keep him, IMO.

:Broncos:

Tombstone RJ
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Hillis as a spread offense receiver! :rofl: LOL

As a FB out of the backfield, yep. He's also great in pass protection in a single back formation.

Taco John
03-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Except Hillis is not just a FB.

I want to say, "Don't tell that to me. Tell it to McDaniels."

But in this system, Hillis is just a FB. This system requires quickness out of it's every down backs because of how versatile the runningbacks are used. Hillis doesn't fit the profile of a Perkins-Erhardt system runningback, no matter how badly we want him to.

Hillis is quick for a 250 lb guy, but he still doesn't fit the profile. Maybe McDaniels breaks the mold and finds a spot for him on the team. Or maybe he breaks a deal and plugs one of the holes we have on defense. Given the moves we've made so far at the RB position, I'd guess the latter.

Taco John
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
As a FB out of the backfield, yep. He's also great in pass protection in a single back formation.

Yeah, that's what they do in this system. McDaniels can't get enough of those receiving fullbacks, I tell ya! :thumbsup:

lex
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, that's what they do in this system. McDaniels can't get enough of those receiving fullbacks, I tell ya! :thumbsup:

Yeah, but he can be Heath Evans and also BenJarvis Green-Ellis. He saves a roster spot if nothing else when you look at two comparable players on NE.

Taco John
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah, but he can be Heath Evans and also BenJarvis Green-Ellis. He saves a roster spot if nothing else when you look at two comparable players on NE.

BenJarvis Green-Ellis weighs 215 lbs. Peyton Hillis weighs 250.

And I know that Peyton can be a Heath Evans. But that's not saying anything. Heath Evans got 11 carries last season and 3 receptions.

It may be that we keep Hillis. I like the guy, and would love to see him remain a Bronco. But I think Broncos fans are expecting that Hillis is going to be a feature back, and in this system, the odds are stacked against him.

lex
03-23-2009, 10:35 AM
BenJarvis Green-Ellis weighs 215 lbs. Peyton Hillis weighs 250.

And I know that Peyton can be a Heath Evans. But that's not saying anything. Heath Evans got 11 carries last season and 3 receptions.

It may be that we keep Hillis. I like the guy, and would love to see him remain a Bronco. But I think Broncos fans are expecting that Hillis is going to be a feature back, and in this system, the odds are stacked against him.

BJGE was used as a short yardage/goal line specialist, 215 or not. Hillis is awesome at short yardage.

DrFate
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
A good coach would find implement a system that fits the players. Not exclusively the inverse.

Popps
03-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Yea, I'm not sure the article was doing anything more than listing Hillis because he is on the team. I somewhat doubt the staff has specifically made it aware that HE is available.

SportinOne
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe the whole "trading Cutler" thing was just a stunt. Maybe they just wanted to soften us fans up so that they could trade basically anyone else if they wanted to without fear of backlash.

"Oh, yes, we did just get rid of Scheffler, Hillis, and Marshall for what equates to the value of a 2nd rounder. But we are keeping Cutler, so you're welcome!"

rastaman
03-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Well maybe I'm grasping at straws here. There has to be a way to fit Scheffler and Hillis into McDaniels' system. Assuming he uses the Patriots system.

Don't worry, McD's trash will be Shanahan's gold.

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Why would they run a double TE set? Why would they hire McDaniels if they wouldnt run his offense.

Well, here you go:

A good coach would find implement a system that fits the players. Not exclusively the inverse.

Defensively, the Broncos are going to run a 3-4/4-3 hybrid, because it fits the players.

While there might be little room for guys liek Scheffler and Hillis in the Broncos offense, McDaniels can still keep them in the game plan, and as the years progress, let Graham go or whatever, and draft and sign free agents according to his system, and transition into it.

Scheffler and Hillis are on rookie contracts, so you might as well hold on to them because they come cheap. That, and their trade value right now doesn't equate what their team value would be.

McDaniels doesn't have to go from Apples to Oranges in a single year.

ColoradoBuff
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
i'm starting to think McDaniels may be a bad idea..who knows!

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Yea, I'm not sure the article was doing anything more than listing Hillis because he is on the team. I somewhat doubt the staff has specifically made it aware that HE is available.

Though I completely agree with this, it's obvious the author of the article went out of his way to make it seem like the opposite was the case. By writing:

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

instead of:

The Broncos holdover running backs are Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis

the author is definitely pushing the reader in a certain direction. It's completely intentional IMO, though I guess it could just be poor writing.....

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Hillis and Torain won't be traded. If anything, Young will get cut...maybe Torain too. Heck, all three of them could be cut for that matter.

None of them have any heavy trade value...maybe a 5th or 6th...especially considering they're all coming off IR.

Hillis and Torain better get a shot in training camp. I think they can earn a spot on the roster, if given a fair chance.

i think Torain is going to trip and tear his ACL walking into camp and not even make it to the preseason

Drek
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
I want to say, "Don't tell that to me. Tell it to McDaniels."

But in this system, Hillis is just a FB. This system requires quickness out of it's every down backs because of how versatile the runningbacks are used. Hillis doesn't fit the profile of a Perkins-Erhardt system runningback, no matter how badly we want him to.

Hillis is quick for a 250 lb guy, but he still doesn't fit the profile. Maybe McDaniels breaks the mold and finds a spot for him on the team. Or maybe he breaks a deal and plugs one of the holes we have on defense. Given the moves we've made so far at the RB position, I'd guess the latter.
Did a 30+ year old Corey Dillon offer the quickness you say is required?

How about Lawrence Maroney? He hasn't shown a ton of that quickness himself.

You're stereotyping based on a single year (2007) and acting like McDaniels never called an offense except the last two years. He's coached to the talent on the roster all four years of play calling in NE. In '05 and '06 they were more of a grind it out offense that used Ben Watson and Corey Dillon heavily. Two players that Scheffler and Hillis can step in and fill the roles of quite well. Just because he happened to get a ton of WR talent and catch a solid OL with a fully healthy year in '07, leading to huge points and passing yardage, that dosen't mean its his "system".

Hillis won't be the every down back because no one will be. He'll be a multi-purpose player who will perform a hybrid of Dillon's/Maroney's duties as the power short yardage workhorse as well as the single back role Kevin Faulk filled out of the backfield as a short yardage safety net receiver for the QB. Its perfect for his talents and fits perfectly within the offense we'll be running.

Elway148
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Isn't Hillis a FB?

If so, he might have late round value.

Late round value or not trading him would be stupid.

Taco John
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Did a 30+ year old Corey Dillon offer the quickness you say is required?

How about Lawrence Maroney? He hasn't shown a ton of that quickness himself.

You're stereotyping based on a single year (2007) and acting like McDaniels never called an offense except the last two years. He's coached to the talent on the roster all four years of play calling in NE. In '05 and '06 they were more of a grind it out offense that used Ben Watson and Corey Dillon heavily. Two players that Scheffler and Hillis can step in and fill the roles of quite well. Just because he happened to get a ton of WR talent and catch a solid OL with a fully healthy year in '07, leading to huge points and passing yardage, that dosen't mean its his "system".

Hillis won't be the every down back because no one will be. He'll be a multi-purpose player who will perform a hybrid of Dillon's/Maroney's duties as the power short yardage workhorse as well as the single back role Kevin Faulk filled out of the backfield as a short yardage safety net receiver for the QB. Its perfect for his talents and fits perfectly within the offense we'll be running.

I hope that you're right - I just have my doubts.

And yes, Corey Dillon and Lawrence Maroney - both of which come in at under 225 - are much quicker to get outside the tackles, and present more mismatches in the passing game than Hillis.

Gort
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Torain and Young have no value.

Trading Hillis would force to me to ask AGAIN, Has McDaniel even seen the Broncos play?

i am wondering that too. i'm on McD's side w.r.t. Cutler, but if he trades or cuts or doesn't even give a fair shot in training camp to Hillis, then he's a f**king idiot.

the total dismantling of the offense was not supposed to be on the agenda this offseason. notwithstanding a petulant, whiny QB who is demanding a trade, we really only needed to fix our RB problem. so long as McD sticks to that, we'll be ok. but Hillis has earned a fair shot at making the team in training camp. i thought we just got rid of a HC who liked to play favorites. i hope we didn't get another one.

gyldenlove
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I think Getting rid of Hillis is stupid, he is a very versatile player and could be as backup TE, FB and can line up at single back in some option formations.

Young is probably gone anyway, his injuries and all together average level of play makes him a dime a dozen, Torain hasn't had time or opportunity to show anything and that is always bad.

BabyTO
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Great offseason so far. Get rid of your young talents like Hillis and Torain, and then bring in washed up guys like Jordan or a kick returner (Arrington) who has no value at RB.

What's McDaniels' wonderlic? 5?

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Hillis has no problems catching the ball.
I recall multiple players saying he had some of the best hands on the team.
Sometimes a guy can be TOO versatile, but sending him to another team would be a huge mistake.

ward63
03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Trading Hillis would be completely STUPID imo. He was one steal in that draft and is a hard worker. Plus with all three of them, they were all hurt, so why trade for hurt players?

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Hillis is alot like Sharpe. He is too quick for a linebacker 1 on 1 and too big for a safety or a corner to handle. He is a mismatch machine. Maybe a Cooley like role is in his future. As long as he doesnt wear hot pants or take pictures of his notebook in the nude.

UberBroncoMan
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
If Hillis is traded I guarantee you that people teetering on the McDaniels is a ****ing idiot board, will have had enough of the guy. Hillis is an ABSOLUTE STUD... he's our Mike Alstott, and based on the amount of skills and work ethic he possesses, he has the ability to be something that no smart coach would think about getting rid of.

This may sound funny, but Hillis getting traded would actually get me as mad as the Cutler thing just due to the sheer stupidity of it.

WABronco
03-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I hope that you're right - I just have my doubts.

And yes, Corey Dillon and Lawrence Maroney - both of which come in at under 225 - are much quicker to get outside the tackles, and present more mismatches in the passing game than Hillis.

I guarantee that Peyton Hillis is as quick if not quicker than Corey Dillon was in New England. He was the definition of "slogging" in NE.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter who he compares to. In my opinion, he doesn't compare to any of the names mentioned in this thread. He's shown he moves surprisingly well for a back his size and he runs like an absolute train. He looked like a unique player in his few games.

He's not Heath Evans. Evans is a blocking back, or was supposed to be one.

gyldenlove
03-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Hillis has no problems catching the ball.
I recall multiple players saying he had some of the best hands on the team.
Sometimes a guy can be TOO versatile, but sending him to another team would be a huge mistake.

That is true, he lined up at WR for a while at Arkansas and has excellent hands.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
If Hillis is traded I guarantee you that people teetering on the McDaniels is a ****ing idiot board, will have had enough of the guy. Hillis is an ABSOLUTE STUD... he's our Mike Alstott, and based on the amount of skills and work ethic he possesses, he has the ability to be something that no smart coach would think about getting rid of.

This may sound funny, but Hillis getting traded would actually get me as mad as the Cutler thing just due to the sheer stupidity of it.

I agree with this.

Rock Chalk
03-23-2009, 01:59 PM

My god, Taco John is the one that chimes in with reason.

Not a single person has been traded yet and people are already throwing McDaniels to the wolves.

Not one DP article has been right thus far. Most of the stuff seems to be opinion editorials, not journalism at this point.

Why do you people get so worked up over opinions from the local paper? Maybe hillis gets traded, maybe he doesnt, but rest assured that the Denver Post is about as clueless to what is really going on in Dove Valley as the rest of us.

The ONLY thing that will make me turn against our new HC at this point will be is he closes training camp to the public. I will be furious since I moved up here to go to ****ing training camp.

Cito Pelon
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Somehow off of this article and another speculation article Hillis will be traded. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lolad
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I guarantee that Peyton Hillis is as quick if not quicker than Corey Dillon was in New England. He was the definition of "slogging" in NE.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter who he compares to. In my opinion, he doesn't compare to any of the names mentioned in this thread. He's shown he moves surprisingly well for a back his size and he runs like an absolute train. He looked like a unique player in his few games.

He's not Heath Evans. Evans is a blocking back, or was supposed to be one.

I agree as well.. And I think Hillis should be given the opportunity to become our featured back in TC.

Cito Pelon
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
My god, Taco John is the one that chimes in with reason.

Not a single person has been traded yet and people are already throwing McDaniels to the wolves.

Not one DP article has been right thus far. Most of the stuff seems to be opinion editorials, not journalism at this point.

Why do you people get so worked up over opinions from the local paper? Maybe hillis gets traded, maybe he doesnt, but rest assured that the Denver Post is about as clueless to what is really going on in Dove Valley as the rest of us.

The ONLY thing that will make me turn against our new HC at this point will be is he closes training camp to the public. I will be furious since I moved up here to go to ****ing training camp.

You moved up here? God save us all. Anybody, can you give me a detailed description of this guy? I'll pay a bounty. Where's a police state when you need it.