PDA

View Full Version : What grade would you give Pat Bowlen for how he has "handled" this offseason?

lex
03-23-2009, 03:06 AM
poll to follow

UberBroncoMan
03-23-2009, 03:16 AM
I couldn't give him an F because he actually did call Jay... I give him a D!

That said... he took way too long to do it and if he had the balls to mediate from the get go, things never would have gotten this bad. The fact that he's being a hypocrite in not wanting to deal with this QB situation *because he lets football people take care of that stuff* when he did exactly that for Elway to the point of firing his HC Reeves stirs me the wrong way. Cutler isn't an Elway at the moment and maybe never (though current stats are better experience wise), but Bowlen should know after saying "Jay's the man around here now," that it means he has empowered him into believing just that... anyway, case in point. Bowlen ****ed this up by being a gutless drunk and hiding in his dark office when he could have fixed it from the get-go and even right now by simply telling Jay "If you come to Dove Valley, work your butt off, and continue to progress as the QB you've become thus far, you have my word you won't be traded... and if you continue the trend I would like to see you here for the remainder of your career." The End. Cutler comes to work out, McDaniels and him have to get along... if they win, they will mend fences and everything will be good.

lex
03-23-2009, 03:23 AM
I couldn't give him an F because he actually did call Jay... I'd give him a D!

That said... he took way too long to do it and and he had the balls to mediate from the get go, things never would have gotten this bad. The fact that he's being a hypocrite in not wanting to deal with this QB situation *because he lets football people take care of that stuff* when he did exactly that for Elway to the point of firing his HC Reeves stirs me the wrong way. Cutler isn't an Elway at the moment and maybe never (though current stats are better experience wise), but Bowlen should know after saying "Jay's the man around here now," that it means he has empowered him into believing just that... anyway, case in point. Bowlen ****ed this up by being a gutless drunk and hiding in his dark office when he could have fixed it from the get-go and even right now by simply telling Jay "If you come to Dove Valley, work your butt off, and continue to progress as the QB you've become thus far, you have my word you won't be traded... and if you continue the trend I would like to see you here for the remainder of your career." The End. Cutler comes to work out, McDaniels and him have to get along... if they win, they will mend fences and everything will be good.

I thought briefly about giving him a D just for sparing us from another year of Slowik. But then I thought about it and agreed with the point that he should have just fired him himself and if Shanahan would have resigned, he's off the hook for that money. Not only that, even if I give him credit for sparing us Slowik, what he has subjected us to since is such a debacle that even if sparing us Slowik was viewed positively, its crushed by everything else. Theres no way I can justify giving him anything but an F. Its been so thoroughly disgusting ranging from going back on every promise/assertion he made, to letting the Goodmans ago (apart lying about it), to letting McDaniels set fire to everything that was likeable about this team. It been disgusting. I almost feel like no measure of success is worth all this.

Blart
03-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Even though I disagree with it, it's hard to blame him for firing Shanahan. Mike was extending contracts of assistant coaches without even mentioning it to Bowlen. The situation had gotten completely out of his control. I miss Mike, but I don't miss the hierarchy.

But then Bowlen made a poor choice to get an offense-minded head coach to replace our #2 offense, and on top of that, he gave that coach almost as much control as Shanahan.

I voted C, but after thinking about it, I'd like to swtich to D. Same hierarchy, same powerless Bowlen, new dictator.

TheReverend
03-23-2009, 05:02 AM
I gave him an F from my personal point of view. Desperately hope I'm completely wrong, and he's hired the correct coach and "general manager", who can smooth things over and create a dominant team. Atm, I'm not seeing it... at all.

Ratboy
03-23-2009, 05:26 AM
He is failing so far.

I supported the hiring of McDaniels, up until the hiring of an ESPN guy, Cutler fiasco and the bad free agent signings.

Bowlen could have stepped in and corrected the situation by defending his franchise QB, instead he continued to support his immature, irresponsible, rookie head coach.

He's lost it.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 05:28 AM
I would say an F....it doesnt even have so much to do with this cutler crap....My biggest problem is his statements i want my team back, and MCd will report directly to me in conjunction with the goodmans.

We lost the best talent evaluating we have had with this team in sometime. The goodmans were the reasons we ended up with guys like clady, royal, hillis, sheff, dumervil, kuper etc.....we gave that up for a GM who himself admitted a lack of knowledege in terms of scouting, and a coach that has so much power he thinks evaluating talent is trying to get matt cassel for his system even though when the games mattered and were against good teams cassel actually wasnt very good at all.....

Shanny didnt start getting some relief from horrible drafting till goodmans really took over and dug in. How is MCD going to survive when he cant analyze talent and xanders never really had to....?

My biggest concern is the upcoming draft and the blatantly obvious lack of expirience in talent evaluation. That rests soley on bowlen for giving MCD the power he has after saying it wasnt going to be that way to begin with.....

tsiguy96
03-23-2009, 05:38 AM
would you stop making retarded polls you ****ing moron.

ELEVATION
03-23-2009, 05:48 AM

how bout you just not read it.......then you dont have anything to get upset about.....

Mogulseeker
03-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Certainly not an F. Not an A either. I think it's been an average offseason which would warrant a C, but the Cutler fiasco lowers that to a D.

D

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 06:39 AM
http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsV/17636-13443.gif

"Zero point zero"

cousinal11
03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Considering he can't remember a meeting less than 3 months ago with the franchise QB, he needs to either put the bottle down or resign.

F

Bronco Rob
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM

"Zero point zero"

Thank you Dean Wormer.

Wes Mantooth
03-23-2009, 07:36 AM
G-

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Is the offseason over already?? ???

oubronco
03-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I Hate McDaniels but LOVE Denverbrit's avatar

barryr
03-23-2009, 08:18 AM
The offseason isn't even over, the draft is still a month away, and chicken littles want to grade it already.

bronco militia
03-23-2009, 08:19 AM
pat gets an F zero

Wes Mantooth
03-23-2009, 08:21 AM

"Zero point zero"

Wolf, would you say it was a bad idea to get rid of Shanahan?

Man-Goblin
03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Pat Bowlen - C. Ponied up some major cash, glad he's not meddling, but probably could have done better in mediating the dispute between Cutler and McDaniels. Public perception is down on him and the team.

McDaniels - D+. Made some nice moves via the staff and free agency, but never should have tried to trade Cutler and probably could have been more diplomatic

Cutler - F-. Was right to be upset but has let his agent, immaturity and personal well being ($) stand in the way of ending this standoff a long time ago.

Pick Six
03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
"Incomplete" is the only grade we CAN give him. As of now, Cutler is still part of the team...

lex
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Pat Bowlen - C. Ponied up some major cash, glad he's not meddling, but probably could have done better in mediating the dispute between Cutler and McDaniels. Public perception is down on him and the team.

McDaniels - D+. Made some nice moves via the staff and free agency, but never should have tried to trade Cutler and probably could have been more diplomatic

Cutler - F-. Was right to be upset but has let his agent, immaturity and personal well being ($) stand in the way of ending this standoff a long time ago.

That wasnt the question.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM

I share these sentiments.

I'd probably go a little easier on McDaniels because I tend to believe Cutler forced his hand into exploring a trade. If Cutler really was that frustrated and upset to demand a trade after Shanahan/Bates were released, than McDaniels had a duty to explore a trade in the event his QB would remain disgruntled.

All in all, I understand I'll never know what really occurred though, so I'll be content with my theories, but largely just praying everything gets resolved in the best interets of the Broncos as soon as possible.

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 09:35 AM
That wasnt the question.

The question is premature.

lex
03-23-2009, 09:44 AM
The question is premature.

"How has he handled?" = handled to this point. Notice the phrasing wasnt, "Give Pat a grade for the entire offseason." Its not premature to answer this question. Once again, nice try.

TheReverend
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Wrong Wolf.

Love your avy and name, btw.

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 10:13 AM
"How has he handled?" = handled to this point. Notice the phrasing wasnt, "Give Pat a grade for the entire offseason." Its not premature to answer this question. Once again, nice try.

That's not the poll question you asked.

Deflect all you like, your question is premature.

lex
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
That's not the poll question you asked.

Deflect all you like, your question is premature.

What grade would you give Pat Bowlen for how he has "handled" this offseason?

Whats the difference? This still is the same as "to this point".

Popps
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
He went right after the team's problems and hasn't made any apologies for trying to improve our franchise. Making unpopular decisions isn't easy, but it's sometimes necessary. Definitely A-material.

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Whats the difference? This still is the same as "to this point".

The difference? Is English your second language?

You poll question neither states or implies..."to this point."

It is emphatic and without ambiguity:

Keep squirming and deflecting......you'd give LABF a run for his money. ;D

lex
03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
The difference? Is English your second language?

You poll question neither states or implies..."to this point."

It is emphatic and without ambiguity:

Keep squirming and deflecting......you'd give LABF a run for his money. ;D

I have a second language and its not english. But regardless, its obvious you missed on this one and are just posturing so to save face.

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I have a second language and its not english.

Gibberish comes to mind. :spit:

lex
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Gibberish comes to mind. :spit:

Nur, nur...

DenverBrit
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
But regardless, its obvious you missed on this one and are just posturing so to save face.

You're projecting. Your words are here for all to see.

TheDave
03-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I gave him an F... but that's just because I'm still red-assed over shanahans firing. ;D

TheReverend
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
He went right after the team's problems and hasn't made any apologies for trying to improve our franchise. Making unpopular decisions isn't easy, but it's sometimes necessary. Definitely A-material.

Straight out of the GW Bush quote book...

Willynowei
03-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Every post I've ever read from you has been profanity laced dribble. Worse yet, they are often personal attacks. You sound like a 10 year old, and probably are, but that doesn't excuse the thoughtless, adolescent remarks. Mods, please ban him.

Don't bother responding btw, you're blocked now.

sisterhellfyre
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
It's too early to tell, IMO. I'll base the final grade on how it all works out and what happens next season. My feeling is that some transition difficulties are to be expected when the whole organization is shaken up from top to bottom after 14 years. Especially when the new head coach is hired with an express mandate to change and improve the team.

Regards,
m.

footstepsfrom#27
03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
It's a solid F.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 12:30 PM
If I was Bowlen's teacher, here's how I'd grade him:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkiqAQH9m7Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkiqAQH9m7Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WolfpackGuy
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM

The personnel aspect had to be taken away from Shanahan, and you knew he wasn't going to give it up, so I'm almost over his removal.

I'm not a fan of the McDaniels hire because I wanted a defensive guy who would leave the offense alone and work on improving the defense.

Instead, the Broncos got an offensive guy who essentially tried to trade their best young player for a guy who couldn't even beat out Matt Leinart.

Bowlen doesn't have to make his voice heard publicly, but damn, at least speak up behind closed doors.

mr007
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Why do I have a feeling you've been engaged in fellating the FO? !Booya!

lex
03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
bump...in case someone wants to vote but missed it.

bombay
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I'd give every useless loser who wants to 'grade' the owner an f.

lex
03-23-2009, 10:46 PM

yawn

watermock
03-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I thought briefly about giving him a D just for sparing us from another year of Slowik. But then I thought about it and agreed with the point that he should have just fired him himself and if Shanahan would have resigned, he's off the hook for that money. Not only that, even if I give him credit for sparing us Slowik, what he has subjected us to since is such a debacle that even if sparing us Slowik was viewed positively, its crushed by everything else. Theres no way I can justify giving him anything but an F.

QFT

At least he hasn't fallen down in public or had shoes thrown at him like Bush.

D.

Blueflame
03-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Looks to me like you graded him. :P

DBroncos4life
03-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I gave him a C. It would have been a B had he not came out and said he hadn't talked to Jay about anything this offseason when he already said he talked to Jay right after he let Shanny go.