PDA

View Full Version : Denver's focus on defense for top draft pick

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 12:51 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11974189

Denver's focus on defense for top draft pick

DANA POINT, Calif. There is uncertainty at quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be any uncertainty regarding the type of player the Broncos want from their No. 12 overall draft pick.

The Broncos want defense. And new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have influence in the decision as to which defensive player to take. Nolan personally worked out three top defensive prospects in the past week Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing and Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

The Broncos also have worked out Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin and Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes. Orakpo and Barwin are considered 3-4 outside linebackers who also can line up in a three-point stance on pass-rushing downs.

Other pass-rushing defensive ends-outside linebackers the Broncos may consider are Florida State's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin. The Broncos also like LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Running back for trade.

Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Kind of an obvious article in regards to the draft....but I found the RB blurb interesting.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Denver better not think about trading Peyton Hillis.

Hillis is a cheap, valuable, and versatile player....what more could you ask for as a team?

He can literally plays 3 positions and special teams and makes next to nothing.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Oh noes...

:Broncos:

OBF1
03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I see a meltdown heading this direction

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:01 AM
I am cool with Cutler and trade talks...they send Hillis away I will cut a mother ****er.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Hillis can play RB, FB, H-back type role, and he could play some TE if you needed him to.

He will also kick some ass on special teams.

All that versatility....with a 7th round cap-friendly contract.

Denver would be foolish to trade him.

NFLBRONCO
03-23-2009, 01:10 AM

Hillis is a cheap, valuable, and versatile player....what more could you ask for as a team?

I can't understand Hillis on trade block he was our best RB. Sure sounds like McD isn't impressed with him for whatever reason.

WABronco
03-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I definitely can't see that. It doesn't make sense on any level, outside of like a first day pick, but I'd rather have Hillis anyways.

I mean, strictly from a value standpoint, it makes sense to see if you can get a good deal on holdovers that the coach may or may not like. But, Hillis looked like a better player than all 3 free agents that were brought in in his short audition.

I'd imagine Hillis is the least available of the three.

SouthStndJunkie
03-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Maybe Hillis is in the plans for 2009.

I will be pissed if we trade him for something like a 5th or 6th round draft pick.

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Hillis can play RB, FB, H-back type role, and he could play some TE if you needed him to.

He will also kick some ass on special teams.

All that versatility....with a 7th round cap-friendly contract.

Denver would be foolish to trade him.

he can also be a return man, that was one of his duties in College.

OrangeRising
03-23-2009, 01:24 AM
I can't even imagine the Broncos trading Peyton Hillis. As already mentioned, he has a 7th round contract and does everything but park the cars at the stadium. This is silly. Correll Buckhalter has a terrible injury history and JJ Arrington doesn't seem to be anything special. What are they thinking?

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2009, 01:24 AM
I can't understand Hillis on trade block he was our best RB. Sure sounds like McD isn't impressed with him for whatever reason.

McD is a moron. so far he has shown no eye for talent. he was ready to dump a pro bowl QB, dumped one of the best long snappers in the game, and brought in 3 dudes to compete for a role that Hillis is still the best at, even with the additions. i can see the acquiring of a RB and maybe a change of pace guy, but McDaniels brougt in 3 guys who expect touches, when he has one of the most versatile players in the league at his disposal.

another reason i am going to miss Mike. he saw what he had in Hillis and was going to feature him in a lot of packages this season

lex
03-23-2009, 01:26 AM
On what does Klis base this? Last year, I think he was putting in for us to take DeSean Jackson at 12. Klis is similar to Mortensen...its hard to tell when its his own speculation vs. something more credible.

Id rather trade all of the RBs we signed instead of Hillis.

BTW, the reason its the Cutler debacle hasnt been that tough is because Pat has been hiding under his desk through it all. Its easy when you dont deal with it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2009, 01:26 AM
I can't even imagine the Broncos trading Peyton Hillis. As already mentioned, he has a 7th round contract and does everything but park the cars at the stadium. This is silly. Correll Buckhalter has a terrible injury history and JJ Arrington doesn't seem to be anything special. What are they thinking?

he's thinking the former Patriot is going to have a career resurgance and end up as league MVP and Hillis won't be needed.

for an supposed offensive genius, he sure has **** for brains and a terrible eye for talent of players if they didn't play in NE

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Otoh,

Its a blurb in a paper, probably means nothing. Until it happens, have a ton of backs on the roster, of which Hillis is the most versatile.

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2009, 01:28 AM
On what does Klis base this? Last year, I think he was putting in for us to take DeSean Jackson at 12. Klis is similar to Mortensen...its hard to tell when its his own speculation vs. something more credible.

Id rather trade all of the RBs we signed instead of Hillis.

agreed. show them all the door, and toss in Young Torain and Hall as well, then draft Rashad Jennings in the 3rd and create a vicious tandem of big bad mother****ers who will knock a LB on his ass.

WABronco
03-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Calmmmmm down no need for more bashing. Hillis wasn't mentioned by name, and this is probably just a case of seeing if we can get something for a player (aka Selvin Young) who is going to be cut anyways...if this rumor is even accurate.

lex
03-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Calmmmmm down no need for more bashing. Hillis wasn't mentioned by name, and this is probably just a case of seeing if we can get something for a player (aka Selvin Young) who is going to be cut anyways...if this rumor is even accurate.

STFU

DANA POINT, Calif. There is uncertainty at quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be any uncertainty regarding the type of player the Broncos want from their No. 12 overall draft pick.

The Broncos want defense. And new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have influence in the decision as to which defensive player to take. Nolan personally worked out three top defensive prospects in the past week Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing and Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

The Broncos also have worked out Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin and Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes. Orakpo and Barwin are considered 3-4 outside linebackers who also can line up in a three-point stance on pass-rushing downs.

Other pass-rushing defensive ends-outside linebackers the Broncos may consider are Florida State's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin. The Broncos also like LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Running back for trade.

Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:35 AM
STFU

Dude, Hillis was not expressly named, thats the reporter speculating.

Popps
Hillis is just the kind of versatile player that would seemingly fit into our system. I'd be pretty shocked if they found a need to move him, particularly as effective as he was running the ball on first downs.

I think he's a perfect part of a 1-2 punch, but at wort... he's a guy who can do multiple things and seems to be as "team" as you can get.

Interesting that we're working out Orakpo. He'd seem to be a great pick-up, but we'd definitely have to move up.

I hate reading about all of these corners we're working out. We'd better not blow the first pick there.

WABronco
Blah you know what I mean.

lex
03-23-2009, 01:38 AM

We dont know that totally. Like I said, he presents it like it could be based on sources although he doesnt really say that. Wow, I hate Klis.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:39 AM
We dont know that totally. Like I said, he presents it like it could be based on sources although he doesnt really say that. Wow, I hate Klis.

Any of the backs, including the ones just signed are up for trade. Until it happens, its just speculation.

lex
03-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Any of the backs, including the ones just signed are up for trade. Until it happens, its just speculation.

The only thing that is definitively speculation is that the three recently signed are off limits...for some reason.

lex
03-23-2009, 01:43 AM
agreed. show them all the door, and toss in Young Torain and Hall as well, then draft Rashad Jennings in the 3rd and create a vicious tandem of big bad mother****ers who will knock a LB on his ass.

Rashad Jennings...meh.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 01:43 AM
The only thing that is definitively speculation is that the three recently signed are off limits...for some reason.

I am wondering if we are only hearing all these trade rumors simply because we have a new coaching staff. Doesnt mean these players are actually going anywhere, just means reporters are having a field day hearing "whispers" then going to the papers with it.

cabronco
03-23-2009, 01:56 AM
I would be pissed to see Hillis go anywhere, unless its some part of a fleecing deal you just cant refuse. Then I might take a look at it.

baja
03-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I see a meltdown heading this direction

It will be epic if Hillis gets traded

Taco John
03-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Hillis doesn't fit the New England system.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2317068&postcount=48

I love Hillis, but he doesn't fit in the Patriot system. I would rather get what we can for him, and pick up another linebacker or defensive tackle. We have a lot of bodies to fill on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think that everybody understands just how many players we still need on defense to make the transistion to a 3-4. We've got a long ways to go.
I'd love to see Hillis compete for the job, but I'm not convinced that he's going to get a fair shot, and we'll get more value out of him if we trade him now than if we tried to do it in August. Right now, Josh seems determined to bring in players that fit his offensive scheme rather than adjust the scheme to fit the players. This leaves two players on our offense in particular sticking out like a sore thumb: Scheffler and Hillis. I don't like it any more than anyone else, because I believed that we were within two years of being a Superbowl contender under Shanahan. But the new day is dawned and if there's one thing that has been made crystal clear in Dove Valley, it's that there are no sacred cows.

Hillis straight does not fit in the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system, unless he can create receiving mismatches that can be easily read behind the line of scrimmage. He's a third down back at best in this system. He'll never be an every down back.

extralife
03-23-2009, 02:33 AM
and the nightmare offseason continues

Ratboy
03-23-2009, 02:34 AM
All this talk about 3-4 ends, but we still are lacking a NT.

It is pretty obvious who will we draft if he is available.

B.J. Raji

lex
03-23-2009, 02:37 AM
All this talk about 3-4 ends, but we still are lacking a NT.

It is pretty obvious who will we draft if he is available.

B.J. Raji

Why is it obvious? What was the point of signing Fields then?

Ratboy
03-23-2009, 02:37 AM

Hillis straight does not fit in the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system, unless he can create receiving mismatches that can be easily read behind the line of scrimmage. He's a third down back at best in this system. He'll never be an every down back.

Nobody in there right mind will give anything close to what he's worth to us. Why should we take a 5th or 6th round pick for him?

Great coaches can adapt there system to the players.

McDaniels is a fraud.

Ratboy
03-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Why is it obvious? What was the point of signing Fields then?

Fields has been a back up. I think the signing was more for depth than anything.

lex
03-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Fields has been a back up. I think the signing was more for depth than anything.

But thats pretty much true for all of our signings except the DBs, no?

Taco John
03-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Nobody in there right mind will give anything close to what he's worth to us. Why should we take a 5th or 6th round pick for him?

Great coaches can adapt there system to the players.

McDaniels is a fraud.

He hasn't traded Hillis yet. Who knows, maybe he keeps him...

But ever since they announced that McDaniels was coming, I have feared for both Hillis, and Scheffler. Neither of them are good fits for this system - and neither is Cutler for that matter.

Ratboy
03-23-2009, 02:47 AM
But thats pretty much true for all of our signings except the DBs, no?

Yes they have. Which is why I dislike the majority of the signings. You can't complain too much if we're signing backups, but if we're expecting them to start without competition, we have big issues.

lex
03-23-2009, 02:47 AM

But ever since they announced that McDaniels was coming, I have feared for both Hillis, and Scheffler. Neither of them are good fits for this system - and neither is Cutler for that matter.

Once again, good work, Pat.

baja
03-23-2009, 02:49 AM

But ever since they announced that McDaniels was coming, I have feared for both Hillis, and Scheffler. <b> Neither of them are good fits for this system - and neither is Cutler for that matter.

Really good point.

You should start a thread.

lex
03-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Yes they have. Which is why I dislike the majority of the signings. You can't complain too much if we're signing backups, but if we're expecting them to start without competition, we have big issues.

Yeah, I hate pretty much everything that has occurred since Glenfiddich Bowlen fired Shanahan. The only thing I can think of is that they want to give us flexibility to draft whoever. We've signed 3 RBs and all of them are mediocre at best. In fact, all of our signings have been mediocre. The only thing is that we now have Nolan instead of Slowik. Thats where I see the improvement. But the personnel on defense hasnt been drastically improved. Yeah, we now have Dawkins but we also have DJ playing inside again. Plus we also are trying to force Dumervil and Moss to OLB. I still have more faith in the defense based on Nolan alone but it still seems like a lot of mismatched pieces on defense.

BTW, I remember the FO doting on how when they interviewed McDaniels he had a plan. Well, in retrospect, I can see why that was appealing because when Pat fired Shanahan, its apparent that he had none.

Ratboy
03-23-2009, 02:54 AM

It is sad that one man can rip the entire core from this organization, if he does trade them.

All 3 have the potential to be solid players at their positions, yet because they do not fit the system he runs.

He is essentially running the same offense Charlie Weis used. Why is McDaniels special?

All coordinators that leave New England end up doing bad. It seems like the only thing these guys have in common is Bill Bilichick

UberBroncoMan
03-23-2009, 02:56 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11974189

Running back for trade.

If that happens I think a lot more people will be hating McTard... in fact I'd basically give up on giving him any chance at all. That trade would be the height of stupidity... almost as stupid as trading a 25 year old franchise QB.

lex
03-23-2009, 02:59 AM
The pats used BenJarvis Green Ellis a lot on short yardage last year. Hillis is a better version of him at the very least. Its really more about Josh liking Lamont Jordan more.

Drek
03-23-2009, 05:57 AM

You don't know what the hell you're talking about Taco.

McDaniels has been the offensive play caller since 2005 in New England. For the first couple years there his most dangerous receiving weapon was Ben Watson, a receiving TE with a game nearly the same as Tony Schefflers.

His ENTIRE time there he's used Kevin Faulk as a jack of all trades back, and Hillis fits that role with perfection thanks to excellent hands and good pass pro skills. Even if that wasn't the case (but it really is), he's basically the richest man in the world's version of Heath Evans, who has only seen his touches and importance as FB of the Patriots increase since McDaniels took over the offense.

If Scheffler gets traded it'll be because he's come out openly on Jay's side and isn't currently at voluntary mini-camps, not because he talent doesn't fit the offense.

As for Hillis, I'll believe it when I see it. Hard to take the writer's speculative list seriously when he puts Ryan Torain, a late rounder to begin with who was hurt all last season, on it. No one would even give a 7th rounder for Torain right now.

I'm sure the Broncos are shopping a tailback from last year's team though. Selvin Young. Because he's got some perceived value after multiple seasons in Denver, being that he was the starter when healthy much of the last two years. I don't think he'd draw much but if they can get a 6th or 7th for him its worth it, because he won't make it through final cuts.

Broncoman13
03-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Who else would Denver trade at RB? Hillis is the only one with any value. Torain and Young are pretty much worthless or injured (or both).

I'm not sure what to think about McD's plan. I'd like to think he knows what he is doing, but man, Hillis was a guy that would lay it on the line. Would you really be willing to give that up for a draft pick?

Drek
03-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Who else would Denver trade at RB? Hillis is the only one with any value. Torain and Young are pretty much worthless or injured (or both).

I'm not sure what to think about McD's plan. I'd like to think he knows what he is doing, but man, Hillis was a guy that would lay it on the line. Would you really be willing to give that up for a draft pick?

The Broncos under Shanahan tried to trade dozens of guys who had next to no value.

In fact, every team tries it. Its the last ditch effort before you cut a guy if he has a tradeable contract.

Its almost definitely a move to get a little value out of Selvin Young before he gets dropped from the roster.

The assumption that McDaniels is going to blow up our style of running and what talent we do have at RB I just don't get. If he really felt that way then why did he retain Bobby Turner AND Rick Dennison? They wouldn't both still be here if McDaniels didn't offer them worthwhile roles, because either one of them could work for nearly any team in the league as position coaches. They chose to stay here after meeting with McDaniels.

The Broncos have been linked to have interest in Buckhalter for years. The fact that we just went out and signed him now that he was finally a FA suggests to me its because Bobby Turner likes him. We also briefly kicked the tires previously on Lamont Jordan in the past, but never really had much of a window to acquire him. Arrington seems very much like Turner's kind of back as well (in the Portis/Tatum Bell vein).

I'm willing to bet the RBs are still largely being left to Turner. He won't be able to make Mo Clarett types of gambles now but if he wants to keep a guy we'll keep him, and if he wants a low cost guy then McDaniels and Xanders will find a way to get him.

oubronco
03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
If that happens I think a lot more people will be hating McTard... in fact I'd basically give up on giving him any chance at all. That trade would be the height of stupidity... almost as stupid as trading a 25 year old franchise QB.

I Hate McDaniels already

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Mcdaniels may want RBS that can make bigger plays. Hillis is a little slow, a little of a plodder, although I do like how he makes contact and run people over. Unfortunately the Earl Campbell style usually makes for a lot of injury's and down time for a back.

gyldenlove
03-23-2009, 07:45 AM
I love this development. If we trade our QB and cut 3 young runningbacks with injury problems for 3 old running backs with injury problems we may just be able to draft Sam Bradford next year after all. We should trade Cutler to Detroit to make sure we get the first overall pick.

I love Mcdaniels, I have always wanted some top 10 draft picks.

cutthemdown
03-23-2009, 07:45 AM

And Hillis probably not even running full speed yet.

oubronco
03-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I love this development. If we trade our QB and cut 3 young runningbacks with injury problems for 3 old running backs with injury problems we may just be able to draft Sam Bradford next year after all. We should trade Cutler to Detroit to make sure we get the first overall pick.

I love Mcdaniels, I have always wanted some top 10 draft picks.

well it looks like we are definitely heading that way :rofl:

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
If someone offered a first rounder for Hillis, would you say no?

Rohirrim
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM

Don't argue with the whiny beetches. They've taken over the board. ROFL!

Archer81
03-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Thinking someone heard either on the lightrail or somewhere else that MAYBE one of the backs was for sale...the source doesnt even name which back, just says running backs...we have 12 of those on the roster. I also dont see how Hillis doesnt fit the system, he is a bigger version of Kevin Faulk with more power.

Archer81
03-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Don't argue with the whiny beetches. They've taken over the board. ROFL!

Its like a 3 year old who falls down, and you rush to them and tell them they are OK before they start wailing.

ZONA
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM

To me this is a major mistake. I like the signings of some of our new RB's but I sure as hell didn't think we needed to sign 3, and then a few weeks later go and offer our most feared back from last year in Hillis. If McD trades him away for beans, then I will officially be on the hunt for his head. I've been open on this forum that I am not against him on any of his moves so far, but if he gets rid of Hillis, I will be officially calling for his head.

Cito Pelon
03-23-2009, 10:08 AM
The defensive and Bowlen parts of the article were interesting. The rest was a great big bunch of nothing.

lex
03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
The defensive and Bowlen parts of the article were interesting. The rest was a great big bunch of nothing.

You could actually say that about the defensive part. He doesnt really cite any kind of source (unless I missed it). He could just be cobbling this together from knowing that we've worked out some defensive players. The problem with that is that we've also worked out offensive players. So, without citing a source, that too seems like a big inference he is making. The only source he cites is the bit about dangling the RBs as trade bait.

Running back for trade.

ayjackson
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Its like a 3 year old who falls down, and you rush to them and tell them they are OK before they start wailing.

:~ohyah!: :~ohyah!: :~ohyah!:

Hotrod
03-23-2009, 10:23 AM

I would wonder who the **** hired Matt Millan.

If we go CB at #12 I'm getting banned for my meltdown. Just a heads up mods.

ZONA
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Nobody would do that so your question is irrelevant. If a GM gave up a first round for Hillis, he would not be a GM for long. But for argument sake, yes, I would make the deal and send Hillis packing for a first round pick. But that's it. It would have to be a first rounder.

Rabb
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM

that and he is just that guy that has the intangible of bringing a spark into the game

like Vinnie Johnson for the Pistons

I would be really bummed if he was not a Bronco

Breaker
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Part of me thinks that this is a hoodie inspired conspiracy. Bellicheat and the Pats get McDaniels into the Broncos, he does everything he can to ruin us, then he resigns next year and goes back to the Pats. Its total bs of course but no more than Gaffs conspiracy theories of the WPR board.

FireFly
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM

Seriously, if we traded cutler i'd be ok with it given where we are now - so long as we got adequate compensation. Same goes for Marshall even! But Hillis!! I'd be devestated :(