View Full Version : Paige: Griese can identify with Cutler's plight

SoCalBronco
03-22-2009, 01:52 AM
woody paige
Paige: Griese can identify with Cutler's plight
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/22/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

The young, heralded Broncos quarterback, standing in the legendary shadow of John Elway and criticized relentlessly when he wasn't the Second Coming, distanced himself from the media, the fans and even his own teammates and coaches. He made mistakes, lost games and underachieved. He made brilliant plays, led his team to comeback victories and overachieved. He was named a Pro Bowl quarterback. But the Broncos never won the division, and he never started a playoff game. He felt unloved and unwanted.

Finally, the unsatisfied coach got rid of the quarterback.

Brian Griese understands Jay Cutler better than anyone else.

"When I was with the Broncos, I don't think I fully understood the pressure on, and the scrutiny of, the quarterback and how to deal with it," he said. "What I see now is that the limelight is always on the quarterback in Denver.

"To be honest, I don't necessarily reflect on my own time with the Broncos and make comparisons between Jay's situation and mine. But I can identify with what Jay's going through."

The 34-year-old Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback was selected in the third round of the 1998 draft. It wasn't enough that Griese was being groomed to succeed Elway, who would win two Super Bowls and be inducted into the Hall of Fame; he was the son of Bob Griese, two-time Super Bowl winner and a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Ten years ago Brian Griese became the starting quarterback of the Broncos. After the 2002 season he was released, unceremoniously, on the day the Broncos signed Jake Plummer.

At the beginning of our conversation last week, Griese laughs, then pleads: "The last thing I want to do is get in the middle of (the Jay Cutler-Josh McDaniels dispute)." But he does add: "The most beneficial and important aspects of a relationship between a coach and a quarterback are communication and honesty. They're irreplaceable on either side."

Griese follows the Broncos. He lives in Denver.

"No matter what team I play for, I'm a Broncos fan and want them to do well," he said. "After the year Jay had, I was excited about his future in Denver. This is very unfortunate. The real losers in all this are the fans. I hope the differences can be worked out."
Denver is Griese's permanent home. He is founder and president of Judi's House — a foundation that focuses on assisting thousands of grieving children and spouses who have lost a loved one. The organization is Griese's lasting tribute to his mother, Judi, who died of breast cancer when he was 12. He still grieves.

After being a backup his junior year at Michigan, Griese was intent on graduating and joining the Peace Corps to help the underprivileged in South America.

Then a funny thing happened. As a senior, Griese led Michigan to an undefeated season, a victory in the Rose Bowl (he was MVP) and a share of the national championship.

"Suddenly, my life went in a direction I never considered," he said.

He was drafted by the Broncos and, as third-string quarterback in 1998, earned a Super Bowl championship ring. The next season Griese took over for Elway, sort of. Despite a lack of experience and arm strength, and a fragile body, he was compared to Joe Montana by Mike Shanahan and the late Bill Walsh.

The Broncos lost Griese's first four starts and he felt the wrath of Denver. The Broncos finished 6-10. He was not Elway, nor Montana, nor Bob Griese.

In 2000 the Broncos reached the playoffs, but Gus Frerotte

Submit Your Question

Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag every Thursday.
started in the defeat. Griese was in and out of the lineup because of injuries the rest of his Broncos career, which ended after the 2002 season.
While in Denver, Griese searched for an organization providing "hope and healing for grieving children" that he could support. There was none. So he created Judi's House in 2002.

It was written during Griese's five seasons with the Broncos that maybe his off-field charitable activity was more important than football to Griese.

"To be honest, my work with children and families is more important in life. But that doesn't mean I don't want to win, and I'm not passionate about playing football. I shifted my original goal from helping people in other countries to doing something that has more meaning to me personally. I had no mother to turn to, and I became introverted, like my father. He lost his father when he was 10.

"I try to tell kids who lost a parent that they need not feel alone in their grief."

Griese raises money and awareness, talks to groups and companies about Judi's House and spends the rest of the time with the grieving families and his own family. He met his wife Brook, a clinical psychologist, when he was with the Broncos. They had their first child, Annalia Rose, in 2006.

The young Griese was described by teammates and the media as "distant, withdrawn, impenetrable." He believes he is far beyond those characterizations. He seems more open, friendlier, comfortable with strangers and happy with himself and football today.

His contract with Tampa Bay runs for two more years. "I don't want to just hang around the game. I want to be a leader on the field and in the locker room," he said. "I want to be the starter. I saw (Arizona quarterback) Kurt Warner at a charity event two weeks ago, and said, 'Thanks from all the older guys for what you did for us.' "

When his football career ends, Griese will amp up his Judi's House career. "Football allows me to talk to young people about what I went through as a grieving boy, and how they can make it, too."

Griese's E-ticket QB ride has never ended. In his first stint with Tampa Bay, he replaced Chris Simms and started 17 games, got hurt, and was replaced by Simms, then released. He was signed by the Bears, made a few starts and returned to the Bucs last year, replacing Jeff Garcia as the starter.

Griese was injured early in the game against the Broncos here last fall — and was replaced by Garcia.

More irony: Simms is now in Denver, and a few weeks ago the Bucs were working on a three-way deal that would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay, where he would join. . . . Griese.

When it's wondered if Griese could return to Denver, he sighs.

To succeed both Elway and Cutler, that's too much to ask of any man, any quarterback, any Denver resident and any self-acknowledged Broncos fan.

Brian Griese already has performed in that circus.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11968837

GreatBronco16
03-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Nice little article.

IMO, Elway was the best and worst thing that happend to the Broncos.

hambone13
03-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Wow, I guess even the most introverted passionless bastards can grow up and realize they have something to add. Amazing what a little experience might do for Josh and Jay.....Maybe they can bring Griese in to facilitate a tickle fight.......

wandlc
03-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow, I guess even the most introverted passionless bastards can grow up and realize they have something to add. Amazing what a little experience might do for Josh and Jay.....Maybe they can bring Griese in to facilitate a tickle fight.......

What a moronic thing to say. Obviously you have yet to grow up and mature. I know what it is like to hold my dieing 2 year old son in my arms while I am performing CPR so I can relate to an extent to what Brian had to go through with the death of his mother and how he might react to it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice little article.

IMO, Elway was the best and worst thing that happend to the Broncos.

no, i see it this way. Elway was the best thing, McDaniels is the worst. because Jay was not worried about the shadow of Elway being cast over everything to do with the Broncos. he didn't care, he knew the legacy of Elway will live on in Denver forever, even after he wins a championship of his own, and unlike Brian or Jakee, it never made him flinch. but McDaniels ****ed that up

Northman
03-22-2009, 12:44 PM
So in other words it shows that Griese and Cutler are a lot a like in that neither seem to be able to handle adversity too well. Great article, Brian is the epitome of a Super Bowl Champion.

barryr
03-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure any QB after Elway has handled the pressure so well of being a QB in Denver after Elway.

WolfpackGuy
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure any QB after Elway has handled the pressure so well of being a QB in Denver after Elway.

Especially Bubby Brister

Popps
03-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Props to Griese for the work he's doing. Great stuff.

As for the everlasting Elway hangover, it does seem that Broncos fans have an unrealistic need to have a world-beater at QB. ("The next Elway.) Elway was a extremely scarce commodity. We need to build a TEAM in Denver, and the quarterback just needs to be part of that team.

No one loved Elway more than I did, but we don't need his second coming to win football games.

barryr
03-22-2009, 01:27 PM

As for the everlasting Elway hangover, it does seem that Broncos fans have an unrealistic need to have a world-beater at QB. ("The next Elway.) Elway was a extremely scarce commodity. We need to build a TEAM in Denver, and the quarterback just needs to be part of that team.

No one loved Elway more than I did, but we don't need his second coming to win football games.

Elway does have some Bronco fans convinced QB's need to have cannons in order to be great and Cutler is great simply because of his arm.

Hamrob
03-22-2009, 02:49 PM

No one loved Elway more than I did, but we don't need his second coming to win football games.We have the 2nd coming already and he wears #6! Allow Jay Cutler to play for 16yrs and then lets do the comparisons.

I remember when Broncos Bandwagoners were trying to run him out of town as well...but thank god that didn't happen!

It took John at least 10yrs for folks around the league to stop calling him an immature baby...and then he and Reaves started getting into it.

And Popps...I think you're wrong. We do need a stud QB to win. Let's see, Manningx2, Brady, Roethlisberger, Warner...etc, etc. For every loser like Trent Dilfer who happens to have the perfect team built around him...10 other Super Bowl winners have Franchise QB's guiding their team.

It's truly amazing how many of you think so highly of Mcdaniels...that you truly believe he can win with average talent at QB.

Hamrob
03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Elway does have some Bronco fans convinced QB's need to have cannons in order to be great and Cutler is great simply because of his arm.I disagree...Elways arm was somthing special because there wasn't any other like it. But, what made him special wasn't just his cannon...but his playmaking ability and competetive fire. He was magical at times and nobody else could duplicate some of his performances. But, this was the same guy who lined up under the right guard when he was young and got blown out of 3 Superbowls. I believe that Jay does have a similar cannon...but its the other intangilbles he possesses that draw the comparisons to me. He moves in the pocket like a thief and has those same eyes in the back of his head. He improvises and can throw point blank passes on the move. He also has a ton of fire on the football field and despite what people are "All of a sudden" saying about his leadership ability...he commands respect.

It's interesting how so many teams want to trade for him and how teams were willing to go get Cassell just to have a shot at him...but Mickey-D and so many self-rightious fans think they'd be better off without him! Ignorance!

Jay Cutler will be a star...whether it's in Denver or even Detroit. It's his makeup and the person who will go down as the stupidest person involved in this matter if the Broncos let him get away will be Pat Bowlen.

Irsay = Bowlen...it just might be!

barryr
03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I disagree...Elways arm was somthing special because there wasn't any other like it. But, what made him special wasn't just his cannon...but his playmaking ability and competetive fire. He was magical at times and nobody else could duplicate some of his performances. But, this was the same guy who lined up under the right guard when he was young and got blown out of 3 Superbowls. I believe that Jay does have a similar cannon...but its the other intangilbles he possesses that draw the comparisons to me. He moves in the pocket like a thief and has those same eyes in the back of his head. He improvises and can throw point blank passes on the move. He also has a ton of fire on the football field and despite what people are "All of a sudden" saying about his leadership ability...he commands respect.

It's interesting how so many teams want to trade for him and how teams were willing to go get Cassell just to have a shot at him...but Mickey-D and so many self-rightious fans think they'd be better off without him! Ignorance!

Jay Cutler will be a star...whether it's in Denver or even Detroit. It's his makeup and the person who will go down as the stupidest person involved in this matter if the Broncos let him get away will be Pat Bowlen.

Irsay = Bowlen...it just might be!

Cutler has a long way to get to Elway status and his comeback ability. And if Cutler ends up in Detroit, which is doubtful, he won't be a star. In fact, with the way that franchise has been, he'll be fortunate to still be playing in 5-6 years.

DBroncos4life
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Cutler has a long way to get to Elway status and his comeback ability. And if Cutler ends up in Detroit, which is doubtful, he won't be a star. In fact, with the way that franchise has been, he'll be fortunate to still be playing in 5-6 years.

Yes Steve DeBerg can play in the NFL for 19 years but Jay Cutler would be lucky to last 5 more years with Detroit? I don't understand Broncos fans at times.

TonyR
03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Can't believe nobody has posted Kiszla's column today. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11970093

Kiszla: Cook is no top chef in Jay-C mess
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Grown men drool in wonder at Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, as if his throwing right arm was the caboose of Jennifer Lopez or Angelina Jolie's sexy lips.

Of course, we all know a grown man doesn't always think with his brain.

For example: If Cutler has anything more than a Beatles haircut between his ears, our disgruntled quarterback would come to his senses and do something smart for a change.

Cutler should fire Bus Cook, the two-fisted, money-grubbing agent who has Cutler wrapped around his finger like a puppet and seems to enjoy yanking the chain of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

While earning free publicity at the expense of Cutler's good name, Cook has wrecked the working relationship between Jay-C and Denver to the point of no repair, if you're asking me.

But that's not even the saddest part of this NFL soap opera.

Cutler has been brainwashed by Cook to believe this 25-year-old player is far better than the impressive 4,526 yards passing and 25 touchdown passes he produced last season.

Broncomaniacs are panicking with the mistaken impression Cutler's 17-20 record in Denver somehow qualifies him as a franchise quarterback to be retained at any cost.

And it has been screamed new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is doomed to failure, or should be fired on the spot, if he dares trade an unhappy camper who wants out of Denver.

Well, hate to be the one to introduce a heaping teaspoon of reality to this hysteria, but Mr. Cutler is not yet the quarterback that Cook would have you or his misguided client believe.

Unless you grade on a generous curve, the list of franchise quarterbacks in the NFL has only three names on it: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

No other signal-caller in this league is guaranteed tomorrow. Just ask Drew Brees, who has averaged 4,636 passing yards and 29 TD passes in three seasons with New Orleans since being pushed out the door by San Diego. Or Kurt Warner, who packed up two MVP trophies and wandered from St. Louis to New York, before finding happiness again in the Arizona desert.

You want to tell me Cutler is a more accomplished QB than Brees or Warner? Dream on.

Before being condemned for hating on Cutler, let me remind I lobbied for Denver to draft him, predicted he would start games as a rookie and proclaimed a Pro Bowl invitation would come his way sooner rather than later.

When the dude tells us Denver is no longer the right place for him to work, I not only take Cutler at his word, but trust his football instincts.

Not long ago, there was a Broncos quarterback who made the Pro Bowl, got a championship ring as a gift and was favorably compared to Joe Montana by his coach, all by the time he was 25 years old.

Anybody consider Brian Griese a franchise quarterback now?

McDaniels might have graduated from the Bill Belichick Charm School, and the clumsy way the young coach unnecessarily stepped on Cutler's toes makes me believe Kid McD won't ever be appearing on "Dancing with the Stars."

But trust this: McDaniels knows quarterbacks.

So if the man considered trading Cutler for Matt Cassel and then lied about it, maybe there was a more essential truth McDaniels was trying to hide.

Cutler, with a reliance on arm strength that borders on narcissism, a tendency to pout in defeat and a track record that proves what he has done in college and the NFL is post gaudy statistics for bad teams, has a long way to go before he is a franchise quarterback.

Cutler does possess the talent to be one of the five best quarterbacks in the league.

Cutler, however, also has a large ego an agent could lead around the NFL, forever in search of greener pastures and paychecks, at the expense of success defined by the scoreboard.

My honest thought is if a coach and quarterback both as great as Dan Reeves and John Elway were not meant to be together, then why should McDaniels and Cutler try to pretend they like each other?

There are enough NFL general managers who drool at the sight of Cutler's arm that the Broncos should be able to trade him for a promising young QB for McDaniels to groom and at least one valuable draft pick to rebuild Denver's sorry defense.

But if Cutler really wants to make it to the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos, if he truly loves Denver as much as many loyal fans love him, if the quarterback wants to prove me wrong and show how a fractured relationship with McDaniels can be mended, then let the work begin.

How to start?

Fire Cook, the agent giving Cutler bad advice.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

TDmvp
03-22-2009, 04:03 PM
no, i see it this way. Elway was the best thing, McDaniels is the worst. because Jay was not worried about the shadow of Elway being cast over everything to do with the Broncos. he didn't care, he knew the legacy of Elway will live on in Denver forever, even after he wins a championship of his own, and unlike Brian or Jakee, it never made him flinch. but McDaniels ****ed that up

good post ... qft/rep

yea we waited 10 years for a qb who wasn't the least bit spooked of the Elway shadow ... and who is gifted as anyone ever to take a snap ...

And in 3 months it's all F'ed up .... nice work by my team ...
I picked you guys as my team when i was young cause you was never like the bengals ... way to F that up cause this is bengal like ....

barryr
03-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes Steve DeBerg can play in the NFL for 19 years but Jay Cutler would be lucky to last 5 more years with Detroit? I don't understand Broncos fans at times.

Think. Playing behind a crap OL with not much to throw to means getting hit much more, which can mean more injuries. Was that going too fast?

SportinOne
03-22-2009, 04:42 PM
B-Grease hit it right on the head when he said, "The real loser in all of this is the fans."

Secondly, i want to point out one thing...

Matt Cassell grabbed the keys to a team that had gone 16-0 the year prior, something that had never been done, and with virtually the exact same team he went 11-5.

edit: Cassell's Patriots also scored 179 less points. That's over 10 points per game less!

I'm not saying QB play is the be all end all, but it clearly makes a difference.

DBroncos4life
03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Think. Playing behind a crap OL with not much to throw to means getting hit much more, which can mean more injuries. Was that going too fast?

So he is injury prone then I get it. Steve Deberg was sacked 296 times and still played 18 years.

I know something that is fast and it plays WR for the Lions. Its name is Calvin Johnson. It just might be the most talented WR in the NFL. You might want to look into it.

barryr
03-22-2009, 05:00 PM
So he is injury prone then I get it. Steve Deberg was sacked 296 times and still played 18 years.

I know something that is fast and it plays WR for the Lions. Its name is Calvin Johnson. It just might be the most talented WR in the NFL. You might want to look into it.

DeBerg was also a QB on teams that ran the ball more than passed it. But in any case, just because he played along time, doesn't mean all QB's do. You do know that DeBerg didn't start every one of those 18 years I hope.

And gee, one knows about Johnson and gee, any DC with half a brain just might double him and make the QB throw to the ball to others. That's assuming the QB has time to get the ball off since their o-line has been bad for awhile now. Quick, can you name other WR's on that team without looking it up? Thought so. Next.

barryr
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
B-Grease hit it right on the head when he said, "The real loser in all of this is the fans."

Secondly, i want to point out one thing...

Matt Cassell grabbed the keys to a team that had gone 16-0 the year prior, something that had never been done, and with virtually the exact same team he went 11-5.

edit: Cassell's Patriots also scored 179 less points. That's over 10 points per game less!

I'm not saying QB play is the be all end all, but it clearly makes a difference.

So Brady is a better QB than Cassell? This is news?

DBroncos4life
03-22-2009, 05:20 PM
DeBerg was also a QB on teams that ran the ball more than passed it. But in any case, just because he played along time, doesn't mean all QB's do. You do know that DeBerg didn't start every one of those 18 years I hope.

And gee, one knows about Johnson and gee, any DC with half a brain just might double him and make the QB throw to the ball to others. That's assuming the QB has time to get the ball off since their o-line has been bad for awhile now. Quick, can you name other WR's on that team without looking it up? Thought so. Next.

Shuan McDonald. Next. Teams must not have heard about Johnson because they didn't double team him at all last year right? Please if the scrubs at QB could find Johnson for 13 Tds Im sure Cutler will be just fine. Lets not even start talking about Jays quicker release then any of the Lions QBs.

barryr
03-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Shuan McDonald. Next. Teams must not have heard about Johnson because they didn't double team him at all last year right? Please if the scrubs at QB could find Johnson for 13 Tds Im sure Cutler will be just fine. Lets not even start talking about Jays quicker release then any of the Lions QBs.

McDonald? The same career backup, 30+ year old smallish WR who is a free agent not likely being re-signed by the Lions? That's what you can come up with? Thanks for making my point. In other words, they don't have much.

Cutler's quick release wouldn't mean anything if nobody open and either forced to throw into coverage or taking hits, with that poor OL of the Lions.

Popps
03-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Cutler/Calvin J. would obviously be a deadly combination. But, Jay might find life a little different playing behind that Lions offensive line.

Circle Orange
03-22-2009, 07:54 PM

I thought I saw someone post here about how Miami had moved on from Marino...interesting take, I often wondered how the wind blows there. They're definitely over Kelly in Buffalo.

Of course, it was easier to "move on" after that 62-7 Jacksonville debacle...

I have noticed a need by the media to try to 'create' another elway, regardless of who the next quarterback is or how much talent he may have. They strain to make comparisons when there are none, because the situations and players are different (bad logic). People say 'move on', but I wonder if they're serious about it. For a while I thought Pittsburgh was stuck in a 70s syndrome. The virus may have moved out west. That's the problem with getting a unique talent in unusual circumstances. People waste a lot of time chasing that holy grail, as if it's just going to 'happen'. Shoot, elway wasn't even supposed to BE a bronco. You can't force fate, that's for sure.

Circle Orange
03-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Can't believe nobody has posted Kiszla's column today. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11970093

Kiszla: Cook is no top chef in Jay-C mess
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Grown men drool in wonder at Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, as if his throwing right arm was the caboose of Jennifer Lopez or Angelina Jolie's sexy lips.

Of course, we all know a grown man doesn't always think with his brain.

For example: If Cutler has anything more than a Beatles haircut between his ears, our disgruntled quarterback would come to his senses and do something smart for a change.

Cutler should fire Bus Cook, the two-fisted, money-grubbing agent who has Cutler wrapped around his finger like a puppet and seems to enjoy yanking the chain of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

While earning free publicity at the expense of Cutler's good name, Cook has wrecked the working relationship between Jay-C and Denver to the point of no repair, if you're asking me.

But that's not even the saddest part of this NFL soap opera.

Cutler has been brainwashed by Cook to believe this 25-year-old player is far better than the impressive 4,526 yards passing and 25 touchdown passes he produced last season.

Broncomaniacs are panicking with the mistaken impression Cutler's 17-20 record in Denver somehow qualifies him as a franchise quarterback to be retained at any cost.

And it has been screamed new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is doomed to failure, or should be fired on the spot, if he dares trade an unhappy camper who wants out of Denver.

Well, hate to be the one to introduce a heaping teaspoon of reality to this hysteria, but Mr. Cutler is not yet the quarterback that Cook would have you or his misguided client believe.

Unless you grade on a generous curve, the list of franchise quarterbacks in the NFL has only three names on it: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger.

No other signal-caller in this league is guaranteed tomorrow. Just ask Drew Brees, who has averaged 4,636 passing yards and 29 TD passes in three seasons with New Orleans since being pushed out the door by San Diego. Or Kurt Warner, who packed up two MVP trophies and wandered from St. Louis to New York, before finding happiness again in the Arizona desert.

You want to tell me Cutler is a more accomplished QB than Brees or Warner? Dream on.

Before being condemned for hating on Cutler, let me remind I lobbied for Denver to draft him, predicted he would start games as a rookie and proclaimed a Pro Bowl invitation would come his way sooner rather than later.

When the dude tells us Denver is no longer the right place for him to work, I not only take Cutler at his word, but trust his football instincts.

Not long ago, there was a Broncos quarterback who made the Pro Bowl, got a championship ring as a gift and was favorably compared to Joe Montana by his coach, all by the time he was 25 years old.

Anybody consider Brian Griese a franchise quarterback now?

McDaniels might have graduated from the Bill Belichick Charm School, and the clumsy way the young coach unnecessarily stepped on Cutler's toes makes me believe Kid McD won't ever be appearing on "Dancing with the Stars."

But trust this: McDaniels knows quarterbacks.

So if the man considered trading Cutler for Matt Cassel and then lied about it, maybe there was a more essential truth McDaniels was trying to hide.

Cutler, with a reliance on arm strength that borders on narcissism, a tendency to pout in defeat and a track record that proves what he has done in college and the NFL is post gaudy statistics for bad teams, has a long way to go before he is a franchise quarterback.

Cutler does possess the talent to be one of the five best quarterbacks in the league.

Cutler, however, also has a large ego an agent could lead around the NFL, forever in search of greener pastures and paychecks, at the expense of success defined by the scoreboard.

My honest thought is if a coach and quarterback both as great as Dan Reeves and John Elway were not meant to be together, then why should McDaniels and Cutler try to pretend they like each other?

There are enough NFL general managers who drool at the sight of Cutler's arm that the Broncos should be able to trade him for a promising young QB for McDaniels to groom and at least one valuable draft pick to rebuild Denver's sorry defense.

But if Cutler really wants to make it to the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos, if he truly loves Denver as much as many loyal fans love him, if the quarterback wants to prove me wrong and show how a fractured relationship with McDaniels can be mended, then let the work begin.

How to start?

Fire Cook, the agent giving Cutler bad advice.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

I'm beginning to think this is one big cluster **** of same articles rewritten with different words. Desperation in denver for fresh news.

Writer: "Oh well, it's deadline time. Time to crank out another Cutler/Bus Cook/Bowlen/McDaniels story."

Editor: "Make sure you use different words so it looks informative, even when it's basically rehash."

Writer: "How about repetitive, empty headed opinions?"

Editor: "Sounds good! We'll print it on page one."

DBroncos4life
03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
McDonald? The same career backup, 30+ year old smallish WR who is a free agent not likely being re-signed by the Lions? That's what you can come up with? Thanks for making my point. In other words, they don't have much.

Cutler's quick release wouldn't mean anything if nobody open and either forced to throw into coverage or taking hits, with that poor OL of the Lions.

I don't know what to say man. I'm really at a lose here. You really don't think teams tried to double Calvin before? Cutler and Calvin would lift Calvin to new levels ala what is going on with Fitz and Warner. Calvin just like Fitz is always open.

DBroncos4life
03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Just think if the Lions landed Cutler and didn't have to give up the first pick in the draft. They could draft either Jason Smith in the draft to protect him or draft Michael Crabtree to give Cutler the possiblity to have the best WR core in the NFL to throw too.

wandlc
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
The Lions have Johnson & Johnson as in Bryant & Calvin. They have a young Oline that will be better and a good RB in Smith. They have the weapons, just need someone who can use them.