PDA

View Full Version : coaches and execs sense Cutler will remain a Bronco in '09.

spdirty
03-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I know the thread point and tite is completely different from the article title, but the fact that Goodell won't step in is irrelevant. He never was going to and you kind of have to sift through the bull**** to get to the good part.

God I hope this is true....please please please please be true.

Goodell won't step in to solve Cutler mess
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/22/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

DANA POINT, Calif. Roger and the Goodells walked through the opulent St. Regis Hotel lobby, wearing their Saturday night best.

His wife and kids in tow, the NFL commissioner could not have appeared more relaxed as he went out for a family dinner on the eve of the owners meetings that begin here today.

Then again, Goodell doesn't have to deal with the Jay Cutler drama as the Broncos do. And he's not going to get involved, either.

"It's not on my list," Goodell said.

Goodell did get involved last summer in helping to settle the rift between quarterback Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.

"Yes, but that was a different issue," he said.

In that case, Goodell reinstated Favre from retirement, thereby forcing the Packers to either allow him to play or trade him. Cutler's request to be traded, while embarrassing for the Broncos organization, is hardly unprecedented to the league, even if such discontent is rarely exhibited by a young, franchise-caliber quarterback.

More lobby talk.

There was some Cutler buzz among coaches and executives in the hotel lobby Saturday but the overriding sense is he will remain the Broncos' quarterback in 2009.

"My guess is this thing is overblown," said an NFL coach. "It might be his reaction that has caused it to be overblown, but from what I've gathered, I don't think they're trading him."

"It's only March," said an AFC coach. "You've seen these type of things happen before and they always get resolved."

Footnotes.

The only game the Broncos have set on their schedule is their final preseason game against the defending NFC champion Arizona Cardinals. The game will be played on Thursday night, Sept. 3, at Invesco Field at Mile High. It's the sixth consecutive year the Broncos will play Arizona in the preseason finale. . . .

The Broncos are hoping to open their regular-season schedule at home for the first time since 2004. If it happens, it probably will be part of a Monday night doubleheader as it was last season when they crushed the Raiders at Oakland.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11970031

Pick Six
03-22-2009, 01:54 AM
It's not Goodell's place to mediate this "dispute". The Broncos and the NFL will proceed with the '09 season, whether Cutler is a Bronco or not. Goodell's interest is with the ENTIRE NFL...

WABronco
03-22-2009, 04:33 AM
I giggle out loud at the person who thought up the idea of The Commish mediating this. I mean...really? REALLY?

watermock
03-22-2009, 05:13 AM
He will be perfectly content to fine Jay if he doesn't show for mandatory workouts tho.

He could of at least mentioned that.

I hate Goodell, the NFL lockout is only a matter of 24 months.

The gravy train is almost over for players.

Popular sentiment will rue these 100M contracts when people can't even afford cable.

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2009, 05:28 AM
He will be perfectly content to fine Jay if he doesn't show for mandatory workouts tho.

Popular sentiment will rue these 100M contracts when people can't even afford cable.

Jay clearly stated he would be showing up to ALL mandatory workouts. If Jay isn't traded by them, odds are that will be where everything is fixed, or complete fallout ensues.

broncoblue
03-22-2009, 06:08 AM
wonder what the reaction would be if jay stays and throws his 1st int of the season...?

DaFace
03-22-2009, 08:00 AM

Dude, they're contractually obligated to show up to mandatory workouts. That's why they're called "mandatory," and they're always fined if they don't show. That didn't start with Goodell.

rastaman
03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
wonder what the reaction would be if jay stays and throws his 1st int of the season...?

I wonder what the Cutler haters response will be when Cutler shows he can execute McDaniels offense, has another pro bowl year.....and still wants to be traded.....that would be an even a bigger deal than throwing his 1st interception!....don't you think?;D

peacepipe
03-22-2009, 08:38 AM

I doubt it,the money that pays player contracts come primarily from these billion dollar TV contracts which are garaunteed. These 100 milion dollar contracts are only the beginning. Wether someone can afford cable has no bareing on the money they make.

rastaman
03-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Out of 53 players on an NFL roster, what percentage of those players actually sign a $100 million contract....let alone collect all of it???

Dedhed
03-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I wonder what the Cutler haters response will be when Cutler shows he can execute McDaniels offense, has another pro bowl year.....and still wants to be traded.....that would be an even a bigger deal than throwing his 1st interception!....don't you think?;D

If Cutler comes in and executes the offense, has another Pro Bowl year and still hasn't gotten over this he'll have proven unequivocally that he'll never be a true franchise QB, and my response would be along the lines of "good riddance".

What will be funny is if the Broncos make the playoffs with or without Jay on board.

Drek
03-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Not gonna happen.

I'm personally of the opinion that as soon as mandatory camp starts and McDaniels can force a one on one between him and Cutler sans Cook this whole thing will be water under the bridge.

Even if it isn't, this seems like angling for a new deal as much as anything else, so even if they don't completely bury the hatchet a good showing in '09 puts him down to just two years left on his deal, the final year with a big roster bonus. Thats about when the team actually wants to start talking contract with him. At that point they sit it down and he gets the "assurance of not being traded" that he wants, i.e. a big contract.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Jay clearly stated he would be showing up to ALL mandatory workouts. If Jay isn't traded by them, odds are that will be where everything is fixed, or complete fallout ensues.

You (and others) keep mentioning this, but... He also clearly stated that he would be here for off season conditioning. He ain't.

And I'll say it again: I'll believe it when I see it.

rastaman
03-22-2009, 09:00 AM
If Cutler comes in and executes the offense, has another Pro Bowl year and still hasn't gotten over this he'll have proven unequivocally that he'll never be a true franchise QB, and my response would be along the lines of "good riddance".

What will be funny is if the Broncos make the playoffs with or without Jay on board.

Well you prove my point. Its not only up to management whether they want to keep a player. A player can also decide whether he wants to spend his entire career with one team and decide to play out his contract. Then only the fans would need to "GET OVER IT"!!! Why would fans be insulted b/c a player who's played out his contract decides on a new environment and new team. Why can't the fans just say "Hey Cutler" thanks for all the thrills (if he wins) and move on?

rastaman
03-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Not gonna happen.

I'm personally of the opinion that as soon as mandatory camp starts and McDaniels can force a one on one between him and Cutler sans Cook this whole thing will be water under the bridge.

Even if it isn't, this seems like angling for a new deal as much as anything else, so even if they don't completely bury the hatchet a good showing in '09 puts him down to just two years left on his deal, the final year with a big roster bonus. Thats about when the team actually wants to start talking contract with him. At that point they sit it down and he gets the "assurance of not being traded" that he wants, i.e. a big contract.

Well, heres what I think should happen, Cutler honors his contract, comes in learns McDaniels system and has another pro bowl year, the Broncos make the playoffs....and the Broncos sign Cutler to long term trade difficult contract. That's how you put all this drama to bed, especially if KC signs Cassell to a long term deal, thus foever cutting the ties and chances of McDaniels making Cassell a Denver Bronco, thus trading Cutler.

Drek
03-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Well, heres what I think should happen, Cutler honors his contract, comes in learns McDaniels system and has another pro bowl year, the Broncos make the playoffs....and the Broncos sign Cutler to long term trade difficult contract. That's how you put all this drama to bed, especially if KC signs Cassell to a long term deal, thus foever cutting the ties and chances of McDaniels making Cassell a Denver Bronco, thus trading Cutler.

You know McDaniels never even got very far in trying to trade for Cassel right?

We've now got Bowlen saying the deal was never brought before him, McDaniels saying the talks never got nearly serious enough to present it to Bowlen, and Bill Belichick (a completely unbiased 3rd party) saying KC's offer of a 2nd was the best he ever got and heavily implying that other teams just kicked the tires on a deal without even making offers.

And that was when he was considering Cutler for Cassel and a couple extra first day picks, a Herschel Walker lite deal if you will. Still didn't like it well enough to try actually making it happen.

SportinOne
03-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I doubt it,the money that pays player contracts come primarily from these billion dollar TV contracts which are garaunteed. These 100 milion dollar contracts are only the beginning. Wether someone can afford cable has no bareing on the money they make.

Nothing to do with your post, just your sig. That quote says everything about why McCain shouldn't have been president and that attitude was never more evident than when he picked Palin as his running mate. That selection was never about making the country better, it was about picking the person who gave him the best shot to win. Palin as VP? Even worse, imagine McCain gets elected and falls ill. Palin as president? :spit:

Dedhed
03-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Well you prove my point. You don't have a point. Your stance is that you love Cutler. We get it. That isn't a point.

lex
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I know the thread point and tite is completely different from the article title, but the fact that Goodell won't step in is irrelevant. He never was going to and you kind of have to sift through the bull**** to get to the good part.

God I hope this is true....please please please please be true.

Goodell won't step in to solve Cutler mess
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/22/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

DANA POINT, Calif. Roger and the Goodells walked through the opulent St. Regis Hotel lobby, wearing their Saturday night best.

His wife and kids in tow, the NFL commissioner could not have appeared more relaxed as he went out for a family dinner on the eve of the owners meetings that begin here today.

Then again, Goodell doesn't have to deal with the Jay Cutler drama as the Broncos do. And he's not going to get involved, either.

"It's not on my list," Goodell said.

Goodell did get involved last summer in helping to settle the rift between quarterback Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.

"Yes, but that was a different issue," he said.

In that case, Goodell reinstated Favre from retirement, thereby forcing the Packers to either allow him to play or trade him. Cutler's request to be traded, while embarrassing for the Broncos organization, is hardly unprecedented to the league, even if such discontent is rarely exhibited by a young, franchise-caliber quarterback.

More lobby talk.

There was some Cutler buzz among coaches and executives in the hotel lobby Saturday but the overriding sense is he will remain the Broncos' quarterback in 2009.

"My guess is this thing is overblown," said an NFL coach. "It might be his reaction that has caused it to be overblown, but from what I've gathered, I don't think they're trading him."

"It's only March," said an AFC coach. "You've seen these type of things happen before and they always get resolved."

Footnotes.

The only game the Broncos have set on their schedule is their final preseason game against the defending NFC champion Arizona Cardinals. The game will be played on Thursday night, Sept. 3, at Invesco Field at Mile High. It's the sixth consecutive year the Broncos will play Arizona in the preseason finale. . . .

The Broncos are hoping to open their regular-season schedule at home for the first time since 2004. If it happens, it probably will be part of a Monday night doubleheader as it was last season when they crushed the Raiders at Oakland.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11970031

Wasnt Bowlen, McDaniels, and Xanders at the owners meeting? Its nice to see theyre not throwing Jay under the bus by blaming him. LOL. What was that thing about trust again?

SportinOne
03-22-2009, 09:59 AM
I saw the ESPN segment about this and I just really hope they are right. The more I see, the more I just don't think he is going anywhere. I will admit that Bowlen's, "We'll explain the situation when the situation is resolved (or something to that effect" comment has me wondering, but you just don't say ANYTHING wrong about a guy when you are planning on trading him. You want his value to be as high as you can so you deny everything that the guy did wrong and you sing his praises as a top player in the league. Then, BOOM, he's gone. This just seems like everyone needs to cool off, Bus needs to walk off a cliff, and Jay needs to realize what he would be throwing away if he ultimately did force a trade.

WolfpackGuy
03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Jay needs to realize what he would be throwing away if he ultimately did force a trade.

Agreed. QB friendly offense, stud LT and RT, playmaking WR's, TE you share a bed with, etc would all be out the window.

gyldenlove
03-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I giggle out loud at the person who thought up the idea of The Commish mediating this. I mean...really? REALLY?

He did it with Favre last year....

skpac1001
03-22-2009, 10:18 AM

He probably learned from that experience to keep out of it.

USMCBladerunner
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Wasnt Bowlen, McDaniels, and Xanders at the owners meeting? Its nice to see theyre not throwing Jay under the bus by blaming him. LOL. What was that thing about trust again?

lex...do you have an objective bone in your body? your highlighted quote contained the words "my guess is..." and "maybe it's..."

this is just some guy's pure speculation...not someone singing about how the Broncos FO is sullying Jay Cutler...

It would make no sense for them to do so anyway, if they wany Cutler to be their QB, they aren't going to risk pissing him off more by leaking negative stuff, and if they are trying to trade him, the last thing they are going to do is throw some dirt on him to lower his trade value.

How do you even come to some of your conclusions?

lex
03-22-2009, 10:33 AM
lex...do you have an objective bone in your body? your highlighted quote contained the words "my guess is..." and "maybe it's..."

this is just some guy's pure speculation...not someone singing about how the Broncos FO is sullying Jay Cutler...

It would make no sense for them to do so anyway, if they wany Cutler to be their QB, they aren't going to risk pissing him off more by leaking negative stuff, and if they are trying to trade him, the last thing they are going to do is throw some dirt on him to lower his trade value.

How do you even come to some of your conclusions?

Because theyre saying its no big deal but at the same time try to make it sound like its all at Jays feet and they have their **** together. Of course, its kind of hard to defend that when they constantly contradict themselves. If you dont see the same thing in that quote, thats fine. Im not asking you to.

rastaman
03-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Agreed. QB friendly offense, stud LT and RT, playmaking WR's, TE you share a bed with, etc would all be out the window.

Ummmmmm.....I don't know, adding McDaniel to the bed could make things a little crowed for Jay and Scheff even for a King size bed! :P

400HZ
03-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I originally got the feeling that this would blow over pretty quick, too. Afterall, the whole pissing match is based around a trade proposal. Nothing staggering to most players, but now it looks like Jay is incapable of getting over it. Skipping workouts, burning bridges with Bowlen, and the incessant dialogue with the media prove that Jay isn't going to make any personal effort to patch things up. He's the type of person who can't let things go I think. It's been seen in his past when he gets mopey on the football field and doesn't snap out of it. It's been seen off the field with things like his Phillip Rivers feud. We've all met people I'm sure who have supreme difficulty moving past any perceived slight. People who are a bit too prideful. I think that's what you have on your hands with Cutler. Giving Cutler space and hoping he will simmer down isn't going to resolve anything. Either McDaniels is going to bow down and kiss Cutler's ass or the Jay Cutler Pity Parade will march on. It's lose/lose for the Broncos. This whole episode has proven

A) You have a mentally weak quarterback

and

B) Your new head coach is a bungler

It's not either/or. It might be a polar argument among fans, but as with most arguments the real truth is probably somewhere in the middle. That doesn't bode well for the Denver Broncos moving forward.

Jes sayin' ;)

broncofan2438
03-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Yea, it would be nice that this would come true. I really do think he remains a Bronco.

SportinOne
03-22-2009, 11:41 AM

If you haven't read all the info we can't help you.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-22-2009, 11:42 AM

First, the owners meetings start today. It plainly says that in the article. Try reading closer next time. That meeting hasn't even started yet.

Second, even if we are to assume that PB, JM, and BX are there and throwing Jay under the bus like you claim they are, where is the rest of the league getting the sense that Jay isn't being traded? No chance it could be those same 3 guys telling everyone that Jay is not on the market? Of course not. But then that would blow a hole in your belief that they are throwing Jay under the bus. They're talking **** about a guy they want to keep? Yeah, that'll really help mend the fences.

Third, I take it there 0 possibility that the coach came to the conclusion that Jay overreacted from Jay's own public statements? Right? It would all have to be from info gleaned from the Broncos' front office because has said nothing publically about this at all. Right?

Hamrob
03-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I forget where I read it...but one tid-bit I found interesting was this:

Cassell is in all reality under a 1yr deal. There have been no signs that the Chiefs are trying to negotiate a long term deal.

So, what happens if Cassell becomes available next year. Let's say he has an average year and the Chiefs aren't sold on him enough to offer him a long term deal and decide to part ways.

Lets also say Jay plays for McDaniels this year and has a good season, but the Broncos lose in the first round of the playoffs or they miss out again.

Do you think McDaniels pulls this crap again next season and trys to land Cassell?

Could happen.

fdf
03-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Hope the first part happens. If he still wants a trade, at least we'll get great value for him--two years left on his rookie contract and two consecutive pro-bowl seasons. And he will have shown that he can play even though he's in a snit and that's a sign of growing up--although not having public snits would be a more certain sign. In any event, that's big-time trade value.

What I really hope happens is that he continues playing for us AND grows up. He'll be a happier person and we'll have a franchise quarterback.

NFLBRONCO
03-22-2009, 12:13 PM
See what no talking to media does. No matter what happens until the draft I don't rule out trade.

Rabb
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
If you haven't read all the info we can't help you.

seriously, agreed

the Favre thing and this have nothing to do with one another outside of the Agent, Favre was retired and needed reinstatement

people are so stupid with quick comparisons

Dedhed
03-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I forget where I read it...but one tid-bit I found interesting was this:

Cassell is in all reality under a 1yr deal. There have been no signs that the Chiefs are trying to negotiate a long term deal.

So, what happens if Cassell becomes available next year. Let's say he has an average year and the Chiefs aren't sold on him enough to offer him a long term deal and decide to part ways.

Lets also say Jay plays for McDaniels this year and has a good season, but the Broncos lose in the first round of the playoffs or they miss out again.

Do you think McDaniels pulls this crap again next season and trys to land Cassell?

Could happen.There wouldn't be anything to pull. If, at that point, McDaniels isn't sold on Cutler the Broncos would merely have to sign Cassel as a FA, and put Jay up for sale.

Dedhed
03-22-2009, 12:34 PM
seriously, agreed

the Favre thing and this have nothing to do with one another outside of the Agent, Favre was retired and needed reinstatement

people are so stupid with quick comparisons
If it's the agent creating the controversy, they have everything to do with one another.

The Packers still owned Favre's rights after reinstatement. Favre needed to get his release from the Packers in order to play for another team, with a new contract, btw. The Packers originally took the stance that they would take Favre back, but Favre said he no longer trusted the organization (sound familiar?).

barryr
03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Since the Broncos are not interested in just giving Cutler away in a trade, that shows they aren't or weren't that eager to get rid of him or he'd be gone by now. They obviously have a high value on him and are not, to this point at least, desperate to trade him, so why give him away? Give him away to appease the fans that don't like him so they can hate him more? Makese sense.

Archer81
03-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Jes sayin' ;)

I'd be more worried about an aging RB, craterface HC and why your team has gone from 14-2 to 8-8 in 3 seasons...

Jes sayin'....:approve:

:Broncos:

BroncoMan4ever
03-22-2009, 02:46 PM

completely different situation. Favre came out of retirement and his rights were still held by Green Bay, but they had moved on with Rodgers and didn't want Brett at the facilities. basically they were locking him out and hoping he would just go away, and the franchise is not allowed to do that. they had 2 options keep him and pay him to sit on the bench or trade him and get rid of the headache. all Goodell did was give them their options and tell them to do what needed to be done.

Jay is in the middle of a trust dispute and although he is being lied to and trashed behind his back by the franchise, they aren't keeping him away from the team and he is under contract which leaves no reason for Goodell to get involved.

Popps
03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I originally got the feeling that this would blow over pretty quick, too. Afterall, the whole pissing match is based around a trade proposal. Nothing staggering to most players, but now it looks like Jay is incapable of getting over it. Skipping workouts, burning bridges with Bowlen, and the incessant dialogue with the media prove that Jay isn't going to make any personal effort to patch things up. He's the type of person who can't let things go I think. It's been seen in his past when he gets mopey on the football field and doesn't snap out of it. It's been seen off the field with things like his Phillip Rivers feud. We've all met people I'm sure who have supreme difficulty moving past any perceived slight. People who are a bit too prideful. I think that's what you have on your hands with Cutler. Giving Cutler space and hoping he will simmer down isn't going to resolve anything. Either McDaniels is going to bow down and kiss Cutler's ass or the Jay Cutler Pity Parade will march on. It's lose/lose for the Broncos. This whole episode has proven

A) You have a mentally weak quarterback

and

B) Your new head coach is a bungler

It's not either/or. It might be a polar argument among fans, but as with most arguments the real truth is probably somewhere in the middle. That doesn't bode well for the Denver Broncos moving forward.

Jes sayin' ;)

Agree with almost this entire post, though you're omitting the idea that our new coach has eyes, sees the same things you do... and perhaps his actions are based partially around those concerns.

In other words, maybe him getting involed in Cassel discussions is based partially out of those very concerns.

Natedog24
03-22-2009, 07:33 PM
It will be real interesting to see how things play out if Denver doesn't trade Cutler. IF Denver wins and has a successful season next year, do McDaniels and Cutler make up for the sake of winning, or is the relationship already too damaged. Although the odds aren't good that Denver wins much next year, especially with a coach and QB that aren't on the same page.

Dedhed
03-22-2009, 07:51 PM
It will be real interesting to see how things play out if Denver doesn't trade Cutler. IF Denver wins and has a successful season next year, do McDaniels and Cutler make up for the sake of winning, or is the relationship already too damaged. Although the odds aren't good that Denver wins much next year, especially with a coach and QB that aren't on the same page.

3-0 and there won't be a hint of this left for the media tripe to chew on.

Blueflame
03-22-2009, 08:03 PM
3-0 and there won't be a hint of this left for the media tripe to chew on.

Shouldn't we maybe wait... like... until the schedule comes out before mentally tallying those first 3 games all into the "W" column? ???

montrose
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Unless Cutler goes against his word again and no-shows mandatory functions, I don't see the Broncos getting an offer overwhelming enough to move him.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Shouldn't we maybe wait... like... until the schedule comes out before mentally tallying those first 3 games all into the "W" column? ???

Shouldn't you wait . . . like . . . until Josh holds his first few practices before coming to the conclusion that he'll be fired in 2-3 years tops?

Dedhed was only throwing it out there to say it would shut people about up about this whole offseason drama if they went 3-0, you're the one who has convinced herself McDaniels is a failure before he's even coached a preseason game.