PDA

View Full Version : OT. Need help picking up a Bass Guitar.

Broncos_OTM
03-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Can anyone help me pick a Bass Guitar. I am new and am looking to spend anywhere from 200-400

I am a rookie to this so if anyone could give me any information on what to look for when buying one. Amps. Cords etc. etc.

i was looking at this one. Any opinions?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-B-55-5-String-Bass-Guitar-512722-i1320386.gc

Simple yet deadly.

Basic and without frills, the ESP LTD B-55 5-String Bass Guitar packs 2 ESP pickups (a split-coil and single-coil) for a range of gutsy tone. Extra-jumbo frets make it easy to play. Agathis body. Maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 2 volume and one tone controls.

ESP LTD B-55 5-String Bass Guitar Features:
Split-coil and single-coil ESP pickups
Agathis body
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
34" scale
Extra jumbo frets
Black hardware
Volume/volume/tone controls

With our 30/30 Guarantee on most products, you can be assured of complete satisfaction and the lowest available price, or your money back!

http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-Frank-Bello-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-513881-i1174837.Music123?CJPID=3067423

As deadly as Anthrax.
Solid-body electric bass
Agathis body
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
20 medium jumbo frets
34" scale
1.5" width at nut
Chrome hardware
Standard open-gear tuners
Standard four-saddle bridge
No pickguard
Split-coil P Bass middle pickup
Single-coil J Bass bridge pickup
2-volume controls

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10021&storeId=10051&productId=900196891&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=45294

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=275 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=privacyStatement vAlign=center align=left>Fender® Squier® MB-4 Special Edition Skull and Crossbones Bass </TD></TR><TR><!-- LONG DESCRIPTION --><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid" vAlign=top align=left>Take Squier's thunderous MB-4 bass guitar, add a skull and crossbones graphic, replace the dot inlays at the 12th fret with another skull and crossbones, add black hardware, and you'll have this sinister-looking, killer sounding special-edition bass! </TD></TR><TR><!-- aux Description1 --><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc 1px solid" vAlign=top align=left>Fender® Squier® MB-4 Skull and Crossbones Bass (Special Edition) Features:

Body: Agathis, Sleek Contoured Body
Neck: Maple, "C" Shape, (Polyurethane Finish)
Fretboard: Rosewood, 12" Radius (241 mm)
Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
Pickups: 1 Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup (Mid),
1 Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickup (Bridge)
Controls: Master Volume,
Pickup Pan Pot,
Master Tone
Pickup Switching: None
Bridge: Standard 4-Saddle
Machine Heads: 2-Over 2-Under Die-Cast Mini Tuners
Hardware: Black
Pickguard: None
Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
Width at Nut: 1.5" (38mm)
Unique Features:
Skull and Crossbones Graphic on Body,
Skull and Crossbones Inlays at Twelfth Fret,
Black Dome Knobs,
Bolt-on Neck</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

cutthemdown
03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
http://guitar.about.com/od/bassguitar/tp/top-beginner-bass-guitars.htm

This is a list that came up when I searched best beginner bass guitars.

I play Yamaha saxes, and I have a friend I play with that has a top of the line Yamaha electric guitar that he loves. Yamaha makes a great instrument IMO. You might want to take a look at the Yamaha they mention in this article.

Great you are getting into music, or back into it, whatever your situation may be. Even if you play thrash metal I imagine it is theraputic. I love unwinding playing some funk, jazz, blues whatever. Also if you get good enough maybe get in a local band, or at least find some guys on the same level as you to jam with.

Good luck.

Popps
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I always thought the squires (bass and guitars) were pretty good bang for the buck. You have to play a lot of them, though. They can be drastically different from guitar to guitar. I think those are Mexican/Korean made, so you never know what you're going to get. They're just slapped together, as are most guitars that price. BUT, I've run into a few that play really well. You just have to try a lot of them out until one feels solid.

ESPs aren't bad. Good for certain types of music, imo. More of a rumbly, low-end, scooped sound, from what I remember. Fenders will have a more rounded, sound.... but maybe not as much of the ultra, ultra-low end.

I think the ESPs have smaller necks, too... so if you're a beginner, that's a nice thing.

Broncos_OTM
03-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I always thought the squires (bass and guitars) were pretty good bang for the buck. You have to play a lot of them, though. They can be drastically different from guitar to guitar. I think those are Mexican/Korean made, so you never know what you're going to get. They're just slapped together, as are most guitars that price. BUT, I've run into a few that play really well. You just have to try a lot of them out until one feels solid.

ESPs aren't bad. Good for certain types of music, imo. More of a rumbly, low-end, scooped sound, from what I remember. Fenders will have a more rounded, sound.... but maybe not as much of the ultra, ultra-low end.

I think the ESPs have smaller necks, too... so if you're a beginner, that's a nice thing.

Yeah i am a beginner(actually the stage before beginner :D). I figured that is a price i can afford and if i like it i can always upgrade. i am looking to spend around 6-700 with amp and all the extras that i may need.

I just recently got divorced and wanted to pick up a hobby. Besides running my dog around on my skateboard!! lol

Thanks!

Broncos_OTM
03-21-2009, 10:33 PM
http://guitar.about.com/od/bassguitar/tp/top-beginner-bass-guitars.htm

This is a list that came up when I searched best beginner bass guitars.

I play Yamaha saxes, and I have a friend I play with that has a top of the line Yamaha electric guitar that he loves. Yamaha makes a great instrument IMO. You might want to take a look at the Yamaha they mention in this article.

Great you are getting into music, or back into it, whatever your situation may be. Even if you play thrash metal I imagine it is theraputic. I love unwinding playing some funk, jazz, blues whatever. Also if you get good enough maybe get in a local band, or at least find some guys on the same level as you to jam with.

Good luck.
I sang in a garage band. I really had a good time doing it. Then i went over to a buddies house and played guitar hero (yes LOL) i am not much of a video game fan but i love me some music and yes. mostly thrash and metal. LOL thanks!

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Sweet thread. I am actually about to purchase a Telecaster.

I am not a big guitar player, still trying to learn on my acoustic, but everyone I ask loves a tele.
Looks like with everything (guitar, amp, accessories), it will cost like $800.