PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler from 4 different perspectives

HEAV
03-21-2009, 11:56 AM
By Dan Pompei / Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - What is Jay Cutler?

This much we know about the Broncosí quarterback:

After he played at Vanderbilt with future Bears Chris Williams and Earl Bennett, the Broncos chose Cutler with the 11th pick of the 2006 draft. He was the third quarterback selected after Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

In three years, the Broncos have gone 20-17 in games Cutler has started. His career passer rating is 87.1. He has thrown 54 touchdowns to 37 interceptions and has completed 62.5 percent of his passes.

The 25-year-old stands 6 feet 3 inches and weighs 233 pounds. He ran a 4.77 40-yard dash at the 2006 combine, and did 23 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press.

To fill in the blanks about the quarterback who may be traded, the Tribune asked four men who have studied Cutler for their insight.

The general manager

Ted Sundquist drafted Cutler as the Broncosí general manager. He since has been fired.

"From the standpoint of physical tools, he is about as good as Iíve seen," Sundquist said. "Heís athletic, big, strong, can make all the throws and has good feet. He can run. Heís ultra-competitive. If I were a general manager, I would jump all over him and not think twice."

The pro scout

This scout from an NFC team has spent hours watching Cutler and requested anonymity:

"He moves around good enough. He can throw on the move. He makes throws most canít. ... The deep ball, he doesnít always put enough air under. He struggles with touch throws at times. He can be a little lazy in his set. But he doesnít always need to set his feet because his arm is so strong."

Asked about Cutlerís intangibles, the scout said, "His body language is not great. It makes you wonder how good a team guy he is.

"He has played with one of the worst defenses in the league. He has had to take chances. So I donít put a lot of stock in his won-loss record or his interceptions. He definitely is a top 10 quarterback."

The opposing player

Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard came into the league the same year as Cutler, prepared for the combine with Cutler and has faced the Broncos six times.

"I donít know if itís right to compare him with Brett Favre, but heís something like him," Pollard said. "He has a lot of swagger on the field. ... Heís definitely a talker. If he gets you, heís going to let you know."

Asked what he needs to be concerned with when facing Cutler, he said, "Extending the play. Heís the kind of quarterback who is going to get away from linemen and linebackers. When he pulls down the ball and starts moving, heís looking to go downfield. And he has the arm to do it. He has the legs to run like a chicken with his head cut off."

The analyst

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, now a broadcaster for CBS, was assigned to three Broncos games last season.

"Heís one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league," Gannon said. "Is he a top five guy? Probably not. Would I

hitch my horse to him and say letís go ride? Hell, yeah.

"His arm strength is superior. Heís up there with the best with his ability to throw the ball and put it in tight places. Heís very accurate. ... Heís a little like Favre in that he takes some unnecessary risk. He can be overly aggressive and try to stick the ball in really tight spots."

Asked about Cutlerís intangibles, Gannon said, "He has the ability to get you out of bad plays, the ability to process a great deal of information each week, the toughness to withstand a 16-game season and the capacity to stand in front of the media, take a butt-kicking and say the right things."

-------------

I feel that Rich Gannon is off about saying the "right things". Jay has a tendancy of putting his foot in his mouth.

Now the pro-scout points out what a few on here and across the NFL map have seen. Jay's body langauge and his sloppy footwork.

Is Jay good? Yes, is he worth all this drama? No. Maybe after 4 or 5 seasons of solid NFL play. But based on 2.5 years...

OABB
03-21-2009, 11:59 AM

barryr
03-21-2009, 12:04 PM
The physical part of the game, Cutler really has no question marks. Even before all of this crap started, the mental part was a question and this soap opera going on will not help that part or convince people he is strong mentally to lead a team deep into the playoffs, much less a Super Bowl. Cutler still has a lot to prove.

Willynowei
03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Being lazy at setting his feet does not mean he has poor footwork.

Cutler has amazing footwork and pocket presence. You don't get sacked roughly 10 times in a season if you don't have great footwork and release speed; i don't care who's blocking for you.

HEAV
03-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Being lazy at setting his feet does not mean he has poor footwork.

Cutler has amazing footwork and pocket presence. You don't get sacked roughly 10 times in a season if you don't have great footwork and release speed; i don't care who's blocking for you.

Don't be an idiot.

Footwork is about pivot points, pushing off the back foot, steeping into throws, making sure the feet and legs are in the proper postion to throw the ball correctly.

Not about avoiding a rush or having escapabilties.

Jay has since his college day's thrown flat footed, off the back foot, not set up and stepped into throws. He's gotten away with it at times do to his arm.
It's great when you are running away from a defender and can throw on the run or fading back.

But sometimes the kid does it with out a rush. Which has lead to high ball and over throws at times.

The kid can hang in the pocket (no doubt) but he also cna work on his game.

Thinking he has nothing to work on was/is the reason the player and team are in this situation.

Shanny had Cutler thinking he was perfect.

-----

P.S. Might be time to change your avatar and line under the avatar:wave:

chaz
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Is Jay good? Yes, is he worth all this drama? No. Maybe after 4 or 5 seasons of solid NFL play. But based on 2.5 years...

If Jay is traded, it won't take 4 or 5 years to realize what SHOULD have been in Denver.

WolfpackGuy
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Big deal about footwork. Sure, it helps, but how many plays are you able to have your feet exactly where they "need" to be? People like Vince Young have to worry about footwork, not Jay Cutler. That scout from the NFC team is probably from the Cardinals and still pissed they drafted Leinart rather than Cutler.

telluride
03-21-2009, 03:26 PM
They completely ignore one of the biggest elephants in the room: Cutler's diabetes. That has to be a factor when you're deciding to break the bank to sign or to trade for him.

wandlc
03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
How many times does it have to be said that diabetes is a non factor once it is diagnosed.

telluride
03-21-2009, 04:48 PM
How many times does it have to be said that diabetes is a non factor once it is diagnosed.

It's certainly not a "non-factor" for a pro athlete whose lifestyle choices include heavy partying on game weekends. Cutler's diabetes will worsen as he ages -- that's a fact. It will worsen if he fails to adjust his lifestyle -- that's a fact. And although not a proven fact, anyone who looks at his last two seasons, with the bouts of erratic play, the instances of cotton-headedness, the puffy-face and droopy eyes, and the episodes of moodiness would have to suspect that Cutler's diabetes does indeed factor into his game play.

Kaylore
03-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Just a point of clarification. Cutler doesn't "party" on weekends, he just gets wasted. It's not like he's dancing around with girls bras on his head. The majority of time he's spotted at Lodo's or other bars he mostly keeps to himself and just drinks. It's not a good sign, but it's not like he's Matt Leinart. I just seems alcoholic to me.

I wouldn't care (Elway got wasted all the time) if he didn't do it before games. Even then if he played well I wouldn't care. The two times I know personally when this happened were before the Chargers game in '07 and before the Raiders game last year. Obviously both games were not his best.

I thought his diabetes would be huge in preventing him from "going there." Then my buddy Matt said he saw him down town several times during the season. The big blow was after the Raiders game when I saw the cell phone pics. It really pissed me off because he played like crap that game (botched hand off) and because it was the Raiders and we destroyed them so easily before. I don't personally know that he missed the Buffalo game, but there are stories he was out with Scheffler game night getting hammered then too.

I don't get why he would do that. He has to know people see him and know who he is. I think he probably has a problem.

OABB
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Just a point of clarification. Cutler doesn't "party" on weekends, he just gets wasted. It's not like he's dancing around with girls bras on his head. The majority of time he's spotted at Lodo's or other bars he mostly keeps to himself and just drinks. It's not a good sign, but it's not like he's Matt Leinart. I just seems alcoholic to me.

I wouldn't care (Elway got wasted all the time) if he didn't do it before games. Even then if he played well I wouldn't care. The two times I know personally when this happened were before the Chargers game in '07 and before the Raiders game last year. Obviously both games were not his best.

I thought his diabetes would be huge in preventing him from "going there." Then my buddy Matt said he saw him down town several times during the season. The big blow was after the Raiders game when I saw the cell phone pics. It really pissed me off because he played like crap that game (botched hand off). I don't personally know that he missed the Buffalo game, but there are stories he was out with Scheffler game night getting hammered then too.

I don't get why he would do that. He has to know people see him and know who he is. I think he probably has a problem.

I heard he was drunk when he yelled at that kid that cut in line.

baja
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Don't be an idiot.

Footwork is about pivot points, pushing off the back foot, steeping into throws, making sure the feet and legs are in the proper postion to throw the ball correctly.

Jay has since his college day's thrown flat footed, off the back foot, not set up and stepped into throws. He's gotten away with it at times do to his arm.
It's great when you are running away from a defender and can throw on the run or fading back.

But sometimes the kid does it with out a rush. Which has lead to high ball and over throws at times.

Thinking he has nothing to work on was/is the reason the player and team are in this situation.

<b>Shanny had Cutler thinking he was perfect. </b>

-----

<b>P.S. Might be time to change your avatar and line under the avatar:wave:

I highly doubt that Shanny thought Cutler perfect.

LOL @ avatar comment

Rabb
03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
wait a second, maybe that is why Bowlen is furious at him...no more post/pre game whiskey shots together

frerottenextelway
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Don't be an idiot.

-----

P.S. Might be time to change your avatar and line under the avatar:wave:

Remember this is a kid who played behind Vanderbilts line in the SEC and behind a Broncos line that stunk at pass blocking until last year. It was a habit developed out of necessity, nothing that can't be improved on as long as we have a good line.

broncogary
03-21-2009, 06:46 PM

I thought his diabetes would be huge in preventing him from "going there." Then my buddy Matt said he saw him down town several times during the season. The big blow was after the Raiders game when I saw the cell phone pics. It really pissed me off because he played like crap that game (botched hand off) and because it was the Raiders and we destroyed them so easily before. I don't personally know that he missed the Buffalo game, but there are stories he was out with Scheffler game night getting hammered then too.

Would this be Matt from the light rail? :)

Broncos4tw
03-21-2009, 06:47 PM
This is all pretty much moot. He is the best we are going to be able to get, by a wide margin.

If we lose Jay, we will be one hurting unit.

Merlin
03-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Link please

baja
03-21-2009, 07:13 PM

If this is true than take the best deal we can and don't look bad, getting shiit faced alone zowie! zowie! zowie! Yikes! Yikes! Yikes!

Kaylore are you sure about the drinking alone part that is very bad news.

TonyR
03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I think he probably has a problem.

There must be some way the forum drama queens can blame this on McDaniels...

HEAV
03-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Diabetes and Alcohol Consumption Dos and Dont's
People with diabetes should follow these alcohol consumption guidelines:

Do not drink more than two drinks of alcohol in a one-day period. (Example: one alcoholic drink = 5-ounce glass of wine, 1 1/2-ounce "shot" of liquor or 12-ounce beer).
Drink alcohol only with food.
Drink slowly.
Avoid "sugary" mixed drinks, sweet wines, or cordials.
Mix liquor with water or diet soft drinks.

-----------

Wasn't there a post/report that Jay was out party'n (drink'n) on a Friday night before a road game?

HEAV
03-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Link please

Link? A link?

Dude, all you have to do is look at tapes of games to see Shanny baby'n the kid.

When Plummer would throw a Int or make a mistake Shanny would be all over the guy. But Jay would get that denture smile and the look of "We get them next time kid!"

It's clear he didn't talk to Jay about body langauge or ranting out teammates.

Jay Cutler was shanny's face saver after the 2005 AFC Championship. Shanny couldn't wait to get Jay in there as starter that he threw away the 06season.

Now look at how Jay has acted since the firing. At one point he told the media he was shocked that Shanny was fired because he and Shanny had just talked the day before about personell moves!

He cried that he wasn't kept in the loop of the firing.
He voice that he wanted involved with the hire.
He demanded that Bates and the offense stay.

I'm sure the kid thought or still does think he should be in the draft room also!

Jay wasn't groomed to be a NFL player that learned how to lead a team and deal with the NFL life.

He was sadly used by a head-coach desperately trying to save face of the Greise years and the failed 2005 Championship game. Jay was spoiled, his ego grew and Shanny let the kid run around thinking he was the team.

No matter where Jay ends up playing, he is going to have to learn to play the way his coach wants him to play. He's going to have to follow the orders of someone other than Shanny. He's going to learn that the rules aren't always in his favor. He will have to learn that on other teams the QB is part of the team puzzle and not the team.

OABB
03-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Link? A link?

Dude, all you have to do is look at tapes of games to see Shanny baby'n the kid.

When Plummer would throw a Int or make a mistake Shanny would be all over the guy. But Jay would get that denture smile and the look of "We get them next time kid!"

It's clear he didn't talk to Jay about body langauge or ranting out teammates.

Jay Cutler was shanny's face saver after the 2005 AFC Championship. Shanny couldn't wait to get Jay in there as starter that he threw away the 06season.

Now look at how Jay has acted since the firing. At one point he told the media he was shocked that Shanny was fired because he and Shanny had just talked the day before about personell moves!

He cried that he wasn't kept in the loop of the firing.
He voice that he wanted involved with the hire.
He demanded that Bates and the offense stay.

I'm sure the kid thought or still does think he should be in the draft room also!

Jay wasn't groomed to be a NFL player that learned how to lead a team and deal with the NFL life.

He was sadly used by a head-coach desperately trying to save face of the Greise years and the failed 2005 Championship game. Jay was spoiled, his ego grew and Shanny let the kid run around thinking he was the team.

No matter where Jay ends up playing, he is going to have to learn to play the way his coach wants him to play. He's going to have to follow the orders of someone other than Shanny. He's going to learn that the rules aren't always in his favor. He will have to learn that on other teams the QB is part of the team puzzle and not the team.

First of all jay has only been in the league for three years dummy. You don't tear into a young qb that works hard like you do a ten year vet who thinks practice is boring.

also, Shanny always said that he liked Jay's aggressiveness and didn't want to coach that out of him. to paraphrase: you can always coach a guy to check down, but you can't coach him to go for the kill." He was creating a monster.

You see, only a stupid coach would think a system qb who checks down is all that is needed to have a good offense.

we all know when Jay starts to check down he will be DOMINANT.

that is why Shanny is a hall of fame coach, and mcdaniels is the laughing stock of the league.

HEAV
03-21-2009, 11:15 PM
First of all jay has only been in the league for three years dummy. You don't tear into a young qb that works hard like you do a ten year vet who thinks practice is boring.

also, Shanny always said that he liked Jay's aggressiveness and didn't want to coach that out of him. to paraphrase: you can always coach a guy to check down, but you can't coach him to go for the kill." He was creating a monster.

You see, only a stupid coach would think a system qb who checks down is all that is needed to have a good offense.

we all know when Jay starts to check down he will be DOMINANT.

that is why Shanny is a hall of fame coach, and mcdaniels is the laughing stock of the league.

You don't tear into a young qb that works hard like you do a ten year vet who thinks practice is boring.

I've used this analogy before with the Plummer/Cutler debate. So you would rather let the puppy continue to chew the furniture, piss on the carpet and beg for food at the table? You would prefer the puppy to continue to run the house?

Shanny always said that he liked Jay's aggressiveness and didn't want to coach that out of him. to paraphrase: you can always coach a guy to check down, but you can't coach him to go for the kill."

Yet Shanny tried to remove the gambler from Plummer and make him a check down take what they give you type QB. Guess what? It worked it was successfull, it got wins and kept below average defense on the sidelines and ate clock!

He was creating a monster
You got that right! Shanny made the biggest baby in the NFL!

Bill Walsh told Montana to take what they give you. Favre had to be told to take what they give you. Even Elway had to learn to take what they give you.

Only stupid madden fans want to see 40 yard bombs and low percentage passes go flying in the air... well stupid fans and Al Davis.

Hall of Fame with Elway, but without Elway... hell the Plummer years may have solidified his HOF.

---------

Basically just another mad Shanny fan looking to bash the new guy and not wanting to see the flaws in the Baby.

OABB
03-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I've used this analogy before with the Plummer/Cutler debate. So you would rather let the puppy continue to chew the furniture, piss on the carpet and beg for food at the table? You would prefer the puppy to continue to run the house?

It depends, Is my puppy a franchise record setting probowler?

Yet Shanny tried to remove the gambler from Plummer and make him a check down take what they give you type QB. Guess what? It worked it was successfull, it got wins and kept below average defense on the sidelines and ate clock!

Wow, you just made my point for me, thanks. Imagine if Shanny had another year to remove the gambler from Jay?

You got that right! Shanny made the biggest baby in the NFL!

It is funny that you, of all people, even try to call someone a baby?
This website is smeared with your green poop and incoherent drivel.

Bill Walsh told Montana to take what they give you. Favre had to be told to take what they give you. Even Elway had to learn to take what they give you.

All great qb's have to learn this, dumbass...how many do you know perfected it in two years? Mt god your even more stupid than a baby...your a pile of mangoo.

Only stupid madden fans want to see 40 yard bombs and low percentage passes go flying in the air... well stupid fans and Al Davis.

No, great offenses want to see this. even your boy mcdaniels, whose juice you have dripping out the sides of your mouth believes in this....number one offense of all time...remember, did you ever watch those games? I think I remember Brady threw a few long balls that year.

Hall of Fame with Elway, but without Elway... hell the Plummer years may have solidified his HOF.

right there, you just showed your true colors...you are a spew-laden pile of man chowder. This is such a stupid statement that has been thrown around here by charger's fan's and wolf...You my friend, make them look smart.

---------

Basically just another mad Shanny fan looking to bash the new guy and not wanting to see the flaws in the Baby.

Not true...I liked Josh, until he tried to pull off the STUPIDEST move in recent memory. I still am going to give him a chance, but he will have to do a great ****ing job for me to forget that he tried to make the STUPIDEST MOVE IN RECENT SPORTS HISTORY.

Heav, what if Josh sucks, and we lose jay? Will you wipe the baby batter of your mouth than?