PDA

View Full Version : Our Linebackers?

lex
03-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Who do you see being our LBs and do you see them fitting? It seems like Moss, Dumervil, Williams, Larsen, Davis, Bailey, and Woodyard are all penciled in to be LBs with us. I think Williams first or second year of a reworked deal. Bailey is going into the second year of his deal. Do you think they would be on the team if not for their contracts?

Moss and Dumervil, it seems, would be the most likely candidates to play the rush LB, but both are question marks, however. Does anyone think either of them provide the answere there? I see a lot of people talk about drafting rush LBs. Im not saying its a bad idea but its kind of complicated when you already have Moss and Dumervil on your roster.

Where do you see Woodyard fitting into the defense? He is a little smallish but maybe he can either add some weight or drop some and play safety. Has anyone heard on what they see for him? Its hard to imagine him not committing to either LB or S due to what you typically see LBs weigh in a 3-4. I guess Sam Mills wasnt huge either but, I dont think he was typical.

Do you actually see them replacing Williams if he has a problem adapting to where they put him, since the Will is now inside? He really struggled when being moved to the inside in 2007. And he isnt the best pass rusher either. Does anyone see Woodyard possibly supplanting him if he struggles? Or what about an combination of ILBs of Larsen and Davis?

Does anyone see Boss fitting in anymore, much less stay healthy? Who is a possible candidate to play Sam if Boss cant get it done or stay healthy?

It seems like we remain committed to certain players who, very possibly, may not fit the 3-4 because of contracts. If thats the case, do you see that complicating the draft? I mean, if we are keeping guys around because of their contracts, does it make sense to draft a LB with a high pick since that would be another big contract in the LB unit? Similarly, the Patriots had to do something with Cassel, when you consider that between he and Brady, they had 30 million committed to the QB position.

To me, the LB situation is very enigmatic at this point.

meangene
03-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Who do you see being our LBs and do you see them fitting? It seems like Moss, Dumervil, Williams, Larsen, Davis, Bailey, and Woodyard are all penciled in to be LBs with us. I think Williams first or second year of a reworked deal. Bailey is going into the second year of his deal. Do you think they would be on the team if not for their contracts?

Moss and Dumervil, it seems, would be the most likely candidates to play the rush LB, but both are question marks, however. Does anyone think either of them provide the answere there? I see a lot of people talk about drafting rush LBs. Im not saying its a bad idea but its kind of complicated when you already have Moss and Dumervil on your roster.

Where do you see Woodyard fitting into the defense? He is a little smallish but maybe he can either add some weight or drop some and play safety. Has anyone heard on what they see for him? Its hard to imagine him not committing to either LB or S due to what you typically see LBs weigh in a 3-4. I guess Sam Mills wasnt huge either but, I dont think he was typical.

Do you actually see them replacing Williams if he has a problem adapting to where they put him, since the Will is now inside? He really struggled when being moved to the inside in 2007. And he isnt the best pass rusher either. Does anyone see Woodyard possibly supplanting him if he struggles? Or what about an combination of ILBs of Larsen and Davis?

Does anyone see Boss fitting in anymore, much less stay healthy? Who is a possible candidate to play Sam if Boss cant get it done or stay healthy?

It seems like we remain committed to certain players who, very possibly, may not fit the 3-4 because of contracts. If thats the case, do you see that complicating the draft? I mean, if we are keeping guys around because of their contracts, does it make sense to draft a LB with a high pick since that would be another big contract in the LB unit? Similarly, the Patriots had to do something with Cassel, when you consider that between he and Brady, they had 30 million committed to the QB position.

To me, the LB situation is very enigmatic at this point.

I don't think we have a single known quantity at any of the four linebacker spots. Other than Davis, they are all projections in a 3-4 and I'm not sure if any of them will fit. Given the critical importance of linebackers in the 3-4, I think we need to draft two early that project as OLB's who can rush the passer.

lex
03-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think we have a single known quantity at any of the four linebacker spots. Other than Davis, they are all projections in a 3-4 and I'm not sure if any of them will fit. Given the critical importance of linebackers in the 3-4, I think we need to draft two early that project as OLB's who can rush the passer.

OK but then you run into the issue of having 6 linebackers paid like starters.

meangene
03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
OK but then you run into the issue of having 6 linebackers paid like starters.

Well, some of these guys may be gone before the season starts. Some we are kind of stuck with temporarily because of the cap hit if we release them now. Larsen and Woodyard are not big money deals. Doesn't Dumervil become a free agent after this year? The one guy we really need to perform is D.J. because of his new contract. I suspect all this will shake itself by next offseason.