PDA

View Full Version : Attention: OM Doctors

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I have had a cough for about a year (?), I actually can't even think how far back it started. It is starting to concern me now. At first I didn't pay attention much to it, thinking it may have just been that time of the season.

I usually cough a few times throughout the day, mostly after I am finished (or even during) a meal, it's like clearing my throat.

I was diagnosed with 'Pneumonia' in October/November 08', but even before than, I was still coughing, again mostly after I eat.

It has become a natural thing these days.

Do I have to cut back on certain things i eat? I've eaten a wide variety of things over the year, and it's still happening.

Anyone experiencing or has experienced the same thing? Anything would help. I hate going to the doctors, because I always feel someone else could be in worse condition.

edit:

I do not smoke

watermock
03-21-2009, 03:44 AM
I assume you don't smoke?

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 03:46 AM
I assume you don't smoke?

Nope, I do not smoke. I hardly drink..

UberBroncoMan
03-21-2009, 04:47 AM
Have you been around any cobras?

... on a serious note.

My diagnosis would be that you have

Chronic Bronchitis

Also, if you're at all overweight and this diagnosis proves true I'd make a concerted effort to slim down.

Hope that helps.

uk bronco
03-21-2009, 05:02 AM
could also be mild dairy allergy causing you to make extra mucous. I get the same thing when i get up in the morning but i smoke

Dr. Broncenstein
03-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Sounds like gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) to me.

theAPAOps5
03-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Do you ever wake up in the night feeling like you have puke but don't. Kind of like its just sitting there in your throat. That was a symptom of mine. That and the reflux was giving me sore throats.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-21-2009, 07:47 AM
You had me at "I cough after I eat."

Here is a decent patient info site on GERD (http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do;jsessionid=7B6AE349CC4FEC10AFB630926055E4 2B.1104?topicKey=~8XXX1joQU2_oIT&selectedTitle=1~150&source=search_result).

Gcver2ver3
03-21-2009, 09:36 AM
have you been tested for TB?...

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
You had me at "I cough after I eat."

Here is a decent patient info site on GERD (http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do;jsessionid=7B6AE349CC4FEC10AFB630926055E4 2B.1104?topicKey=~8XXX1joQU2_oIT&selectedTitle=1~150&source=search_result).

Thanks Doc, I will check it out.

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Do you ever wake up in the night feeling like you have puke but don't. Kind of like its just sitting there in your throat. That was a symptom of mine. That and the reflux was giving me sore throats.

No, I never get to the point of wanting to vomit. I read other things about that, but no, i don't have anything serious like that.

No chest pain, no stomach pain, it seems like a normal cough, but it happens everytime i eat a meal.

Like I said, it seems more like i'm clearing my throat.

McDman
03-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, it's probably tuberculosis. You'll probably end up like Doc Holiday.

Broncochica
03-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Coughs are horrible because they seem to linger even after a cold but I had a cough that lasted a few months and it was a dry cough.
Very irritating but no...I had no TB, no acid reflex, no asthma BUT I did have post nasal drip from allergies and that was the culprit. The MD that I was working with at the time said not a whole lot you can do for it but the cough finally did go away. Good luck! :thumbsup:

KS Bronco
03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
do you take blood pressure meds? specifically an ACE inhibitor (generic name will end in 'pril' like lisinopril? these are notorious for causing chronic, dry coughs...
otherwise, sounds like gerd

WABronco
03-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, it's probably tuberculosis. You'll probably end up like Doc Holiday.

LOL!

I had a cough when I was at school, for like 6 months. Figured it was just a product of the different environments of western and central washington (green to dry and brown).

kappys
03-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Get some prilosec, take it daily for a month. If you're still having symptoms post again in a month.

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
LOL!

I had a cough when I was at school, for like 6 months. Figured it was just a product of the different environments of western and central washington (green to dry and brown).

Maybe.

I have traveled a lot in the past year and a half, due to being in the military.

Please do not scare me with tuberculosis. When I was told I had Pneumonia, I freaked out. I was running a 104 temp and thought I was about to die.

I should probably just make an appointment, I hate military doctors.

/sigh

Dudeskey
03-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Maybe.

I have traveled a lot in the past year and a half, due to being in the military.

Please do not scare me with tuberculosis. When I was told I had Pneumonia, I freaked out. I was running a 104 temp and thought I was about to die.

/sigh

Hell yes you should make an appointment. A 104 fever, holy **** man...

Los Broncos
03-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Not to sound stupid but have you been tested for HIV?

BroncoMan4ever
03-21-2009, 07:49 PM
i agree it could be the GERD that has been brought up already, but another possibility is asthma, after eating is a time when undiagnosed asthma can pop up.

DomCasual
03-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I feel for you. I was diagnosed with pneumonia today. Everytime I cough, I feel like my spine is going to break in two.

worm
03-21-2009, 11:20 PM
If this many people on the Mane can diagnose and cure the common cough after reading one simple post....

Get to work on the Josh\Jay situation!

Use your powers for good.

McDman
03-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Maybe.

/sigh

Haha, dude don't worry, the chances of tuberculosis are super slim.

Ratboy
03-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Hell yes you should make an appointment. A 104 fever, holy **** man...

That was months ago. I'm fine right now, just coughing/clearing my throat.

Usually it feels like there is something in my throat, maybe mucus. Which causes me to cough.

I don't have a sore throat or anything from it.

Hotwheelz
03-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Get some prilosec, take it daily for a month. If you're still having symptoms post again in a month.

This is so ****ing wrong. Don't diagnose someone over the internet, much less prescribe ****ing medicine, you ****ing retards.

Go to a damn doctor.

BroncoMan4ever
03-22-2009, 12:37 AM
If this many people on the Mane can diagnose and cure the common cough after reading one simple post....

Get to work on the Josh\Jay situation!

Use your powers for good.

get them all in the same room, Bowlen, Xanders, McDaniels, Cutler and Cook, send in Spider to throat punch everyone repeatedly until the problem is solved. crisis over, everyone is happy

Blueflame
03-22-2009, 12:54 AM
This is so ****ing wrong. Don't diagnose someone over the internet, much less prescribe ****ing medicine, you ****ing retards.

Go to a damn doctor.

Prilosec is an over the counter; not a prescription medication.... it's really not all that different from saying "take a Tylenol for a headache"....

That said, RTribbey... anytime you have concerns about your health, the best course of action is to make an appointment to see your healthcare provider... while the Mane's doctors have great input and advice, that doesn't take the place of your own healthcare professional who actually sees you and can order further testing if it's warranted... to be certain everything's OK....

Hotwheelz
03-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Prilosec is an over the counter; not a prescription medication.... it's really not all that different from saying "take a Tylenol for a headache"....

And that is wrong too. You don't know him, his history and you haven't examined him. Don't dispense medical advice over the ****ing internet.

Ratboy
03-22-2009, 02:10 AM
And that is wrong too. You don't know him, his history and you haven't examined him. Don't dispense medical advice over the ****ing internet.

Calm down there, bud. I know you mean good.

I don't pay much attention to posts that say take a medication, i know what I can and can't take.

It's just advice, trying to gather information to see if it is doctor worthy.