PDA

View Full Version : New Elway Comments: "Cutler needs better advice"...

Popps
03-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Yes, it's a re-post. Sue me. Hadn't seen it buried in the middle of the other Elway thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2009-03-20-elway-cutler_N.htm

"For Jay, there's not a better place to play football and to have a better opportunity to win Super Bowls because you have an owner (Pat Bowlen) who wants to win Super Bowls," Elway said.

"As a quarterback, that's all you can ask for. I understand Jay's feelings got hurt, but it's too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from," he said.

The other report sounded fairly vanilla, but I didn't see these quotes. Pretty interesting, particularly if you're of the mindset that the agent is driving this whole mess.

spdirty
03-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Wow. This is real groundbreaking stuff here. Nothing like the other Elway-Cutler thread.

GreatBronco16
03-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Something going on with Cutler?

Popps
03-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Wow. This is real groundbreaking stuff here. Nothing like the other Elway-Cutler thread.

Sorry, smelly.

If these quotes were in the other thread, mods can merge. I didn't see these quotes in the other article.

To me, it's VERY different... considering it seems to be more of a stance taken, than the down the middle quotes I read.

But, thanks for policing the place.

Archer81
03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Cutler just needs to get to work. Thats all.

:Broncos:

BroncoDoug
03-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Something going on with Cutler?

From what I can gather, he contracted Diabetes from some snake thing...more on this later...

baja
03-21-2009, 12:48 AM
They were in there but what the hell what's another Cutler thread among friends.

Rock Chalk
03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
You know, me and OSKIE were talking about this situation today. Very different views overall but we agreed on some key things.

Bus Cook is the devil. This would have already blown over if his agent was more interested in seeing Jay succeed than getting a big fat payday. Greed is a terrible thing.

Popps
03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
They were in there but what the hell what's another Cutler thread among friends.

Maybe I'm missing them. Here's the original article that was posted...

Denver Broncos legendary quarterback John Elway had a few things to say about the Jay Cutler soap opera. Elway was attending a fundraising event in Pueblo, CO.

Speaking at a fundraising event in Pueblo, Elway said, “I’m disappointed for both sides, I look at the Denver Broncos organization as the best in the NFL, as well as Jay Cutler as (one of) the top five quarterbacks in the league.”

He went on to say, “I just hope with everything that’s gone on, obviously, there’s been feelings hurt along the way, that they can get over that and realize that it’s all about winning football games.”

Elway was also optimistic that things will work out in the long run.

“I’m sure that they’ll keep working on it and we’re going through a phase right now, obviously Jay’s feelings have been hurt, and I understand that because if you like the place you are playing you don’t want to hear your name in trade talks,” Elway said. “It’s tough, I’m hopeful, I think Pat Bowlen’s still the best owner in the NFL and if I’m Jay Cutler, the place I wanna play is a place where the No. 1 thing that counts is winning Super Bowls and that’s what Pat Bowlen cares about.”

I just don't see the "advice" dig on Cook in that article. To me, that was a fairly significant omission by the first writer. But, if I missed it somewhere, merge away.

baja
03-21-2009, 01:39 AM
I remember reading your quotes somewhere on here I think it might have been a link I followed . Not sure exactly just know I read it here.

Popps
03-21-2009, 02:02 AM
I remember reading your quotes somewhere on here I think it might have been a link I followed . Not sure exactly just know I read it here.

Could be. I just thought maybe some people hadn't seen these particular ones, as they were not nearly as canned and vanilla as his other responses.
(UPDATE: Finally dug through all of the nonsense, and it was buried in there somewhere. Someone had posted it for the same reasons. So, please forgive me. I beg of you. :)

"Getting better advice" is a real grenade toss, though.

I wonder if Jay is smart enough to consider the words of a guy like Elway.

GreatBronco16
03-21-2009, 03:08 AM
You know, me and OSKIE were talking about this situation today. Very different views overall but we agreed on some key things.

Bus Cook is the devil. This would have already blown over if his agent was more interested in seeing Jay succeed than getting a big fat payday. Greed is a terrible thing.

But isn't that why they hire agents? To make sure they get the most money possible? Otherwise, they would just handle that themselves. Kinda like Steve McNair.

GreatBronco16
03-21-2009, 03:09 AM
"Getting better advice" is a real grenade toss, though.

I wonder if Jay is smart enough to consider the words of a guy like Elway.

Why would he? I mean his arm is stronger, so surely he is smarter than Elway too right???

Ratboy
03-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Hey John! I have an idea.

Give him your advice?

Dedhed
03-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Who is John's agent? Maybe John could slip him a card.

Hulamau
03-21-2009, 04:42 AM
But isn't that why they hire agents? To make sure they get the most money possible? Otherwise, they would just handle that themselves. Kinda like Steve McNair.

You hire agents to help get you the best deserved deal when your previous one is up!

Jay is still playing out his very fair deal for a first round top 12 draft pick, EXPECTED to play like and become a franchise QB during his rookie contract period for the price agreed upon. Cutler wasn't some 6th round wonder boy who is being paid peanuts and suddenly is playing like Tom Brady did in year two! If Cutler plays well for the rest of his rookie deal maybe even one more year andfirst with McD proving he can play well within this system then we may well want to reward him early.

But first lets see if he can actually win a playoff game for starters, THEN Bus Cook can do his best to get him the moon in his new contract in 3 years!.

Not lying and pouting his way into a new ruinous deal for the over-all team's and FO's reloading plans when we had not budgeted at all for a new Cutler contract now!

Where is the "TEAM" in all of that? Its self-centered and after this fiasco, even if Cutler does come back he's got a lot to prove that he can become a real leader and winner. :pimp:

cutman0122
03-21-2009, 04:48 AM

Yeah, isn't this suppose to be a business?;)

WolfpackGuy
03-21-2009, 07:24 AM
I think Marvin Demoff was Elway's agent.
He's also Julius Peppers' agent.

TonyR
03-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Here's Florio's take on this very topic.

ELWAY CALLS OUT COOK, INDIRECTLY
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2009, 8:58 a.m. EDT

Broncos quarterback John Elway, who knows a thing or two about forcing his way out of a situation he found unacceptable, has weighed in on the current conundrum that his old team is facing with its current franchise quarterback, Jay Cutler.

According to the Denver Post, Elway called the situation, “sad and unfortunate.” (Actually, that’s a fair description of most of the franchise’s experiences since Elway left.)

And the Hall of Famer took indirect aim at the man who’s pulling Cutler’s strings — agent Bus Cook.

“I understand Jay’s feelings got hurt, but it’s too bad it has got to where it is,” Elway said. “I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from.”

We’ve said it before, so why not say it again? All Cook had to do at the first sign of unhappiness from Cutler was to pull the kid aside and explain to him that coaches come and go, but franchise quarterbacks endure. Cook should have pointed out that Brett Favre had four head coaches in Green Bay.

And Cook should have emphasized that Josh McDaniels helped make Matt Cassel from a seventh-round draft pick into a star. If McDaniels can do that with a guy who hadn’t started a football game since high school, what could McDaniels do with an established presence like Cutler?

Unfortunately for the Broncos, Cook opted to instigate instead, possibly to advance his own interests. After all, Cook has gotten a few million dollars worth of free advertising over the past month.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/21/elway-calls-out-cook-indirectly/

Rabb
03-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey John! I have an idea.

Give him your advice?

Jay has to want to hear it also, I wouldn't doubt if he doesn't

who knows maybe he will wise up and realize he should stay

Broncoman13
03-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, it's a re-post. Sue me. Hadn't seen it buried in the middle of the other Elway thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2009-03-20-elway-cutler_N.htm

"For Jay, there's not a better place to play football and to have a better opportunity to win Super Bowls because you have an owner (Pat Bowlen) who wants to win Super Bowls," Elway said.

"As a quarterback, that's all you can ask for. I understand Jay's feelings got hurt, but it's too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from," he said.

The other report sounded fairly vanilla, but I didn't see these quotes. Pretty interesting, particularly if you're of the mindset that the agent is driving this whole mess.

I think it's become very apparent that Puss Cook is driving to his agenda. Cutler seems to be on board though so I won't put it all on his agent. Bottom line, if Cutler wanted this to be over, it 'could' be over.

Still pissed that the Broncos FO was stupid enough to open this door though. I really would be okay with a blockbuster trade for Cutler. At this point, I'm almost hoping for it b/c of the talent that we could acquire... but I'd also be fine if they hugged and made up. Cutler is a very good QB. Top 5, maybe maybe not... but in time I have no doubt that he will be. That said, there is no reason to think that we can't find another answer at the position and get another 3 or 4 talented players in a trade.

Broncoman13
03-21-2009, 08:51 AM

He likes the Kansas Gayhawks. I'm a UNC guy. Yeah, we had some different views!!! :wave:

Bus is driving this mess but Jay could still end it.

What would you rather have:

Jay Cutler

or

Bulger/Quinn/Anderson/Simms
Aaron Curry/Orakpo/Raji
Maualuga/Cushing/Mathews
Gilbert/Hood/Brace
Delmas/Moore/Johnson

and a future high pick 2nd maybe even a first!

Hell, the Broncos could even draft Sanchez at #12 if he fell and let him sit for a year and learn the system. Not exactly the Patriots way though so I doubt it will happen. I'm warming to Sanchez though, he looks like he has a lot of potential.

I don't know man, lots of unknowns for a top tier or at least top of the 2nd tier QB. Hard to pass up the opportunity for a bunch of talented players though!

Mogulseeker
03-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Friggin Bus Cook

Bronco X
03-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Jay has to want to hear it also, I wouldn't doubt if he doesn't

who knows maybe he will wise up and realize he should stay

After the comment about Elway's arm vs. his, I'm thinking Jay doesn't have much in the way of deference towards Elway.

GreatBronco16
03-21-2009, 04:33 PM
You hire agents to help get you the best deserved deal when your previous one is up!

Contracts are "Always" negotiable. Now show me the rule or law that says, an NFL player HAS to play out an existing contract before asking for a new one or to make changes to the current one. I'll help you out so you don't waste time looking for it. There isn't one.

cutthemdown
03-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Contracts are "Always" negotiable. Now show me the rule or law that says, an NFL player HAS to play out an existing contract before asking for a new one or to make changes to the current one. I'll help you out so you don't waste time looking for it. There isn't one.

It's in the CBA all they players signed. The fact once a player doesn't show he can be fined shows that it is actionable. Of course it's not criminal but nevertheless it is enforceable. If Cutler wants he can sit the first 10 games, of each of the next 3 season, and still get credit for them. Broncos can fine him once participation becomes mandatory and prescribed by the CBA.

So unless the team is willing to negotiate, it isn't always negotiable. Both sides would have to agree, otherwise it get's handled by the rules set forth in the collective bargaining agreement that both players and owners agreed to.

barryr
03-21-2009, 04:56 PM
No question Cook has been a problem in all of this. Demanding a new contract as soon as a new coach comes in. Even if they did, that doesn't automatically mean he wouldn't get traded at some point. Just getting a new contract is not a guarantee to stay.

Popps
03-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Yea, you get the feeling that the "you ARE the team, Jay" conversation was thrown at Jay. They figured whoever came in would be a push-over and they could walk all over them for a new contract.

Only, someone came in who wanted to do things his way. They didn't expect that. So, the plan changed.

"They don't respect you, Jay... maybe we should look for other options...."

Just a guess.

A vulture agent using a pouty kid to achieve an objective.

baja
03-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Yea, you get the feeling that the "you ARE the team, Jay" conversation was thrown at Jay. They figured whoever came in would be a push-over and they could walk all over them for a new contract.

Only, someone came in who wanted to do things his way. They didn't expect that. So, the plan changed.

Just a guess.

I agree with you about Jay's short comings but I can't help thinking that if they work this out (I think they will) we will be a top 3 offense for years to come.

Popps
03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with you about Jay's short comings but I can't help thinking that if they work this out (I think they will) we will be a top 3 offense for years to come.

I hope it does work out.

I'd much prefer he stays with the team, as disappointed as I am in the way he's acting. But, it's got to be done the right way. Jay needs to want to be a Bronco.

Archer81
03-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I hope it does work out.

I'd much prefer he stays with the team, as disappointed as I am in the way he's acting. But, it's got to be done the right way. Jay needs to want to be a Bronco.

100% agreed.

:Broncos:

GreatBronco16
03-21-2009, 06:35 PM
It's in the CBA all they players signed. The fact once a player doesn't show he can be fined shows that it is actionable. Of course it's not criminal but nevertheless it is enforceable. If Cutler wants he can sit the first 10 games, of each of the next 3 season, and still get credit for them. Broncos can fine him once participation becomes mandatory and prescribed by the CBA.

So unless the team is willing to negotiate, it isn't always negotiable. Both sides would have to agree, otherwise it get's handled by the rules set forth in the collective bargaining agreement that both players and owners agreed to.

Yes I understand that the team can force them to play out their current contract. I never said that the contract Has to be changed. I was just saying that all contracts are negotiable, just because the team sees to not change it, doesn't mean they didn't negotiate. This is the same way when a team goes to a player asking them to re negotiate their contract for whatever reasons.

Agents are there to try and get their player(and themselves) the best deal possible, even if that means to try and renegotiate the contract. The CBA says they have to play out their contract, but it doesn't say that they have to play it out without the option of renegotiating at anytime.

Merlin
03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
The best deserved deal is what the market will bear. Are you suggesting players should not allow their agents to pursue the best financial deal possible? Now a number of people have defended the FO by arguing the NFL is a business and Cutler should grow up. Well here is a news flash, if it is a business, then he is doing exactly what he should, get the most financial benefit he can out of it, since that is the only loyalty anyone seems to believe matters. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

baja
03-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Deserved deal LOL

Merlin
03-21-2009, 07:36 PM
That is a very odd guess considering this whole thing didn't blowup until after MacD's incompetence at managing the media and personnel came into play.

SoCalBronco
03-21-2009, 07:55 PM
The best deserved deal is what the market will bear. Are you suggesting players should not allow their agents to pursue the best financial deal possible? Now a number of people have defended the FO by arguing the NFL is a business and Cutler should grow up. Well here is a news flash, if it is a business, then he is doing exactly what he should, get the most financial benefit he can out of it, since that is the only loyalty anyone seems to believe matters. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Excellent point. It's highly hypocritical when fans engage in this "well....its a business" when the team does it, but then bash the player for looking out for themselves. The business is a two way street. He should get EVERY dollar he can. That shows he's rational.

Popps
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
That is a very odd guess considering this whole thing didn't blowup until after MacD's incompetence at managing the media and personnel came into play.

Really? So you know exactly when all conversations took place between Cutler and his agent? I sure don't. I just said my timeline was a guess. But, do you have some inside info you want to share?

As for "managing the media," I hope you're kidding. Word got out that Cutler was mentioned in a trade. What do you want him to "manage" at that point?
Clearly, he listened to an offer with the idea of bettering his team. What's to "manage" about that. In fact, he came out and said JUST that.

You want him to apologize for trying to improve the Broncos?

You want him to say "I was wrong," when he's not?

Cutler is under contract. That means he can be traded, or needs to report for his job. Jay should have been off playing quarters and shooting darts somewhere. Instead, as usual... he's sticking his beak into behind the scenes company business. YES, you MAY be involved in trade talks, Jay. Welcome to the business world. Welcome to the NFL.

McDaniels doesn't have a mother****ing thing to apologize for. Jay just needs grow a pair, and quit letting DA-DA steer him out of what is probably his best situation.

Popps
03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Excellent point. It's highly hypocritical when fans engage in this "well....its a business" when the team does it, but then bash the player for looking out for themselves. The business is a two way street. He should get EVERY dollar he can. That shows he's rational.

You're confused, SoCal. Jay is under contract. So, he's in the wrong. (If he holds out.) He will lose pay if he doesn't show up for work. So, he's technically in the wrong.

Will his wrong-doings force a trade? Perhaps. Will he be paid more? Perhaps. Will that benefit him in the long-run? I doubt it, but we'll see. FEW players in these situations end up being the better for it in the long-run.

So, when fans say "it's a business," they're speaking of the contractual obligation Jay Cutler has to the team that has put his name on the map, and made him a millionaire.

SoCalBronco
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
You're confused, SoCal. Jay is under contract. So, he's in the wrong. (If he holds out.) He will lose pay if he doesn't show up for work. So, he's technically in the wrong.

Will his wrong-doings force a trade? Perhaps. Will he be paid more? Perhaps. Will that benefit him in the long-run? I doubt it, but we'll see. FEW players in these situations end up being the better for it in the long-run.

So, when fans say "it's a business," they're speaking of the contractual obligation Jay Cutler has to the team that has put his name on the map, and made him a millionaire.

How would he be in the wrong? He's already said he will attend all mandatory camps. If we're going to play the contract game, then that's all that is required. So what's the problem?

He will fulfill his obligations. That's it. There's nothing wrong with him wanting an extension or him putting heat on the team for an extension. He's just acting in an economically rational way.......much in the same way a team does when it cuts a popular player that is no longer producing commensurate with their salary.

Popps
03-21-2009, 08:34 PM
How would he be in the wrong? He's already said he will attend all mandatory camps..

i said IF he holds out.

If we're going to play the contract game, then that's all that is required. So what's the problem?.

So, we're talking about him not performing duties he's obligated to perform. (We shall see if that occurs.)

Beyond that, you're not a dumb guy. You know Jay is causing a major distraction with his antics. Our players can't walk down the street without a mic jammed in their grill, asking them about Jay's tender feelings. No, he's not OBLIGATED to attend team meetings, but as a "leader" (in theory) ... he should be attending. To me, to not attend... is wrong.

He's just acting in an economically rational way.......much in the same way a team does when it cuts a popular player that is no longer producing commensurate with their salary.

Again, we'll see how "economically rational" it turns out to be for him. We won't know the answer for years.

But your team analogy is only valid if Jay shows up and plays for us this year. If he doesn't, the analogy falls flat. Teams cutting players is a normal part of a contract. Holding out is not.

ZONA
03-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Popps get a slap on the wrist for this post. With all the Cutler threads, a clone Cutler thread is the last thing this place needs. Forget merging it. It's the same damn thing. Just delete it.

Meck77
03-22-2009, 05:39 AM
This would have already blown over if his agent was more interested in seeing Jay succeed than getting a big fat payday.

I haven't been around since last week and there are people still figuring this out? I'm not referring to just you Rock Chalk so save the "FU" Meck. Hilarious!

Is there still the camp that believes this is about Jay's feelings?

Broncoman13
03-22-2009, 06:06 AM
I hope it does work out.

Zero doubt in my mind, Jay does want to be a Bronco. More than you or me or any other fan though, he wants Josh McDaniel to want him to be a Bronco. Yeah, his agent has an angle here and is trying to get him an early pay day. The Broncos stepped in it and opened the door for this to happen. I'm sure Pus Cook was looking for a reason to spin this up and we served it up barney style, making it way to easy.

There have to be some concessions here though. McD is going to have to realize that Cutler needs to be coddled a little right now. In the long run, he will be able to gain his confidence and be able to carry his team first mentality that includes belittling his QB in the film room amongst the team if necessary.

Cutler is going to have to realize that McD's philosophy is for everyone to be the team, not certain players. In time, he will be able to understand that McD wants him to succeed and have huge games and seasons. McD is obviously very loyal to his QBs and develops a tight bond with them. McD is no doubt a little put off by that bond between Jay and Shanny/Bates.

Whether Jay likes it or not, he's going to have to live with McD wanting to be the "star" of the Broncos. This is a QB town and it will always come down to how the QB played, but I think McD is willing to take ownership of the play either way. If the QB plays poorly and the team loses, I suspect McD would take responsibility for the poor play.

Broncoman13
03-22-2009, 06:08 AM
I haven't been around since last week and there are people still figuring this out? I'm not referring to just you Rock Chalk so save the "FU" Meck. Hilarious!

Is there still the camp that believes this is about Jay's feelings?

Partially, yes I do believe that. I think Jay Cutler is more about feelings and respect/loyalty from the team and Pus Cook is more about an early pay day. I think that's exactly why Elway is saying that Jay is getting some poor advice.

hambone13
03-22-2009, 06:15 AM
No question Cook has been a problem in all of this. Demanding a new contract as soon as a new coach comes in. Even if they did, that doesn't automatically mean he wouldn't get traded at some point. Just getting a new contract is not a guarantee to stay.

Thanks BarryR. I'm not sure what we'd do w/o you. Really, incredibly enlightening.....no really.....please post again w/o reading ****ing ANYTHING

hambone13
03-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Why would he? I mean his arm is stronger, so surely he is smarter than Elway too right???

Or, maybe he'll just come out and do a commercial, wearing a phony mustache, playing a fan, talking about himself as though he's not himself, talking about himself, calling YOU an asshole for bringing up a ridiculous quote like that.

I mean it did get quoted, out of context as though he was blowing his own smoking elbow while calling out 'ole #7 to "show him his real stuff" at the at the Invesco Corral.

How about I just get you a midget drummer to play a better drum roll when you walk into the room with a collapsible top hat on.....

elsid13
03-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Zero doubt in my mind, Jay does want to be a Bronco. More than you or me or any other fan though, he wants Josh McDaniel to want him to be a Bronco. Yeah, his agent has an angle here and is trying to get him an early pay day. The Broncos stepped in it and opened the door for this to happen. I'm sure Pus Cook was looking for a reason to spin this up and we served it up barney style, making it way to easy.

There have to be some concessions here though. McD is going to have to realize that Cutler needs to be coddled a little right now. In the long run, he will be able to gain his confidence and be able to carry his team first mentality that includes belittling his QB in the film room amongst the team if necessary.

Cutler is going to have to realize that McD's philosophy is for everyone to be the team, not certain players. In time, he will be able to understand that McD wants him to succeed and have huge games and seasons. McD is obviously very loyal to his QBs and develops a tight bond with them. McD is no doubt a little put off by that bond between Jay and Shanny/Bates.

Whether Jay likes it or not, he's going to have to live with McD wanting to be the "star" of the Broncos. This is a QB town and it will always come down to how the QB played, but I think McD is willing to take ownership of the play either way. If the QB plays poorly and the team loses, I suspect McD would take responsibility for the poor play.

This so easy. All McDaniels has to do, is treat Cutler like a franchise QB in public and in front of the team. In private he can chew on him all he wants, just show him some public respect.

elsid13
03-22-2009, 07:04 AM

Would you had a problem if Cutler had said his arm was stronger then Brett Farve? Or does the legend of #7 make the issue bigger then it really is?

Captain 'Dre
03-22-2009, 07:18 AM
" I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from," he said.

This just in: John Elway has just been named recipient of the esteemed and coveted "No $#!T, Sherlock!" Award.

Captain 'Dre
03-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Would you had a problem if Cutler had said his arm was stronger then Brett Farve? Or does the legend of #7 make the issue bigger then it really is?

There's have been no contraversy if Cutler had just said his arm is stronger than Jeff George's. Ha! Ha! Ha!

rastaman
03-22-2009, 07:49 AM
I hope it does work out.

No not really! Jay just needs to play out his contract! He doesn't need to want to stay a Bronco for his entire career. But more importantly, Cutler needs to play like he could be traded at any given time and therefore act as if he's in Denver for a short period of time. This means there is no bonding and trust building with McDaniel's, b/c why bother---neither know how long they will be working together.

Fans like you will always be pissed or disappointed with Cutler or any Bronco player that doesn't want to adhere to what you believe a Bronco player should conform to. Of course that's definitely shortsightedness and selfish-ism on your behalf and fans who think like you do.

I'd much rather Cutler be true to himself first and put his career first while he still has leverage. Fans who have never played Professional football at such a high level will never understand this. After all these fans believe players such as Cutler are put on this earth as entertainment and for their own personal enjoyment. You couldn't be further from the truth.

John Elway understands what Culter is going thru and how important leverage is, b/c he used it to stop being drafted and reporting to the Colts back in 83. Also, in the back of John Elway's mind, he knows that his son "Jack Elway" Jr., could find himself in similar circumstances as Cutler now finds himself in. You know Elway will side with his son b/c there's the father connection and the player connection of having played in the NFL.

But don't worry, Cutler will come in and full-fill his contract obligations and play to the best of his ability while continuing with the demands to be traded in 2009, 2010 and 2011, if he so chooses and be well within his rights!. Now will this sit well with Cutler haters---of course not; but then again once you're consumed by hate and you are blind towards compromise and empathy.

The Bronco players will respect this and rally behind Cutler b/c deep down they know they could be in Cutler's shoes as well. Cutler if he's no longer happy in Denver but is forced to play here b/c Bowlen won't trade him, Cutler needs to play for his teammates. Besides as a collective body its the players that put it all on the line every Sunday afternoon.....not the fans, not the coaches, and not the owners.

Circle Orange
03-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Just a guess.

I still blame shanahan in part for the hyperbole regarding Cutler, even before he took a few snaps. The same hyperbole he used for Griese (next Montana, remember?) Jake Plummer (next Montana, again, and classified as great). Now Cutler, who has a better arm the Plummer but isn't as mobile, is now a franchise qb because shanahan put it out there. and despite his lack of playoff sucess since a certain gentleman retired, shanahan's word is still highly regarded around the nfl.

GM: "Gee, Shanny says this guy is hot stuff."

Other GM: "You think? Hell, he must be great, then."

GM: "Let's spread the word."

Other GM: "He do anything yet?"

GM: "Naw, but you know everyone is a superstar these days no matter what."

watermock
03-22-2009, 09:45 AM
'someone needs to change your diapers.