PDA

View Full Version : broncos D this year...

tsiguy96
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
may be pretty damn good after all. as far as fixing one side of the ball, no other team in FA did better than us. got mike nolan as well as a bunch of solid 2-3 year veteran stop gaps who can help teh team win now as well as draft and groom defensive players. its awesome.

Archer81
03-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I do not approve of this thread. Where is a poll? Clearly you have forgotten what it is to be a Jay/Josh/Bowlen/Organization/Broncos fan...

:Broncos:

Ambiguous
03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not totally sold on it yet, seems like we think it's going to get better every year, and hasn't for a long time.

I am optimistic this year though, we've made tons of changes. I hope they work out.

Who would have thought we'd have such an offensive mess to deal with though?

socalorado
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I do not approve of this thread. Where is a poll? Clearly you have forgotten what it is to be a Jay/Josh/Bowlen/Organization/Broncos fan...

YEah, and theres no offhand, reference to the coach either!
Like McDooDoostupidhead or McDummy or McSh!thead or McTurdburgler
or Mc_______face or ...........em kay

montrose
03-20-2009, 10:33 AM
"Pretty good" would be a pretty remarkable feat. I'm thinking moving closer to #20 in points allowed and turnovers would be a reasonable, yet incredible, accomplishment.

OBF1
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey McStupid poster... I need more Jay/McD BS and less opinions and hope for our team. next time it is negative rep for you

Smiling Assassin27
03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey McStupid poster... I need more Jay/McD BS and less opinions and hope for our team. next time it is negative rep for you

CBF's got a FEE-VAH...and the only thing that can cure it is...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ttoM7ue56pu2FM:http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/Walken-Cowbell.jpg/250px-Walken-Cowbell.jpg
MORE MCCUTLER!

lex
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
may be pretty damn good after all. as far as fixing one side of the ball, no other team in FA did better than us. got mike nolan as well as a bunch of solid 2-3 year veteran stop gaps who can help teh team win now as well as draft and groom defensive players. its awesome.

Yeah, it is awesome, Pollyanna.

elsid13
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
It will come down to how well the dline plays this season. If Thomas can successfully transition to DE in 3/4 front and can Fields and rookie hold up the interior line to allow the ILB to be clean. While the last question is who can hold the other DE spot.

Archer81
03-20-2009, 10:52 AM
It will come down to how well the dline plays this season. If Thomas can successfully transition to DE in 3/4 front and can Fields and rookie hold up the interior line to allow the ILB to be clean. While the last question is who can hold the other DE spot.

Could be Crowder or maybe Powell. Both have decent enough size for a 3-4 DE.

iforgotmypassword
03-20-2009, 12:10 PM
my projected line ups got Peterson and Marcus Thomas sittin at D ends

so somethin like this.......

DE-Macus Thomas
NG-Ronald Feilds
DE-Kenny Peterson

Definately the weakest part of the D need atleast one stud there, I see Thomas being our best D lineman out of that

WOLB-Moss? not lookin good
WMLB-DJ
SILB-Andra Davis(could be a steal)
SOLB-Reid? Boss Bailey?

Linebackers aren't extremely talented but we have a ton of options... DJ, andra davis, woodyard, boss, moss, crowder, doom, ried, larson......

SS - Dawkins (maybe he was FS? my bad)
FS - Renaldo Hill (also maybe swapped?)
CB Champ
CB goodman
Nickel?

Definately the strength of the D, but what's new there? either way it's a very very good secoundary

Here's to a trade for peppers and atleast four to five picks on the front seven

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 03:18 PM
The DBs are better but really we haven't done much besides bring in a new coaching staff and a new system. While you can't say one way or another about the strength of the schedule on paper it looks tough. If we don't get our points per game down to 24 per game we won't win many games.
I love the staff we brought in and that is my biggest hope for the D's improvement.

Punisher
03-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I have to see them play in Pre-Season 1st

Los Broncos
03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Will we have a pass rush?

razorwire77
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
At the very least, it will be better in an addition by subtraction sense.
In addition:
* A defensive coordinator that doesn't have his head up his own arse
* A relatively healthy Champ (fingers crossed)
* Dawkins will fill a vocal leadership void left by Al Wilson. He will be the straw that stirs the drink.
* No more John Engelberger
* No more Marquand Manuel
* No more Projectile Nate

Decent FA acquisitions, that aren't world beaters, but definitely upgrades.

And we still don't know what the draft will look like.

Archer81
03-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I really dont think the talent on defense is as horrible as we all thought. Scheme was retarded and put solid players in bad positions to make plays. Now dont misunderstand me, our safeties were a joke. Our best safety the 2nd half of the year was Barrett, and he had NO clue what he was doing out there. Nolan knows what he is doing, which automatically makes this defense better.

enjolras
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
It may get a bunch better too. The Jets desperately need a QB, and they have a BUNCH of talent on the defensive side of the ball that they may be willing to part with.

DarkHorse
03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm very excited about the Dawkins signing - we lost Al Wilson and then John Lynch, both were veteran vocal leaders.

WolfpackGuy
03-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Our best safety the 2nd half of the year was Barrett, and he had NO clue what he was doing out there.

Sad, but oh so true.

broncosteven
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Considering that they still have not addressed the Dline or LB's I don't think it could get any worse.

We did get John Lynch 2.0 in dawkins so he will help but with no pass rush all of the CB Fa's they brought in will get torched just as bad as last year.

If they made a run at Dlineman that the felt suited their system I would have been more pleased. But they ended up signing more secondary help...kinda like Shanny has done the last couple of years.

skpac1001
03-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Considering that they still have not addressed the Dline or LB's I don't think it could get any worse.

We did get John Lynch 2.0 in dawkins so he will help but with no pass rush all of the CB Fa's they brought in will get torched just as bad as last year.

If they made a run at Dlineman that the felt suited their system I would have been more pleased. But they ended up signing more secondary help...kinda like Shanny has done the last couple of years.

I think outbidding the Redskins for Big Al or the Giants for Canty would have been worse, especially if you place a high value on resigning our offensive talent as the contracts run out. I don't think missing out on Igor is anything to regret. Who else was out there? At linebacker, I guess we could have paid more then the Ravens for Ray, but he would want D.J.'s position. If your saying its too early to feel good about the moves for the defense, we should wait until the draft, I can understand that. But I don't see how you could feel bad about the job we have done so far with the options we were presented.

Br0nc0Buster
03-20-2009, 05:41 PM

If the draft was over you would have a great point
But it isnt, so you dont have a point

They will spend the big $ on the line, that is what the Patriots did.
That is what we will do.

But go ahead and say "McJerkface" will take the same approach Shanny did

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not totally sold on it yet, seems like we think it's going to get better every year, and hasn't for a long time.

I am optimistic this year though, we've made tons of changes. I hope they work out.

Who would have thought we'd have such an offensive mess to deal with though?

i will reserve judgement on my assumptions on our rebuilding of the defense so far this offseason. every year we go through the same thing where we bring in guys and all think this is the year we turn it around and the next year it still sucks and we hope again. outside of Dawkins and Davis i am not really that impressed with the signings. plus both of those guys seem like the types that Mike would have been interested in acquiring.

however, i am optimistic about is the defensive coaching staff. i feel even without having seen anything yet, that we really did major upgrading in that regard.

elsid13
03-20-2009, 05:44 PM

The only spot that are open in the defense is the NT and DE. I think the LB are set this season with Doom/Moss, Williams, Larson and Bailey. I think folks are going to be surprised when we see more offense drafted then defense.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
If the draft was over you would have a great point
But it isnt, so you dont have a point

They will spend the big $ on the line, that is what the Patriots did.
That is what we will do.

But go ahead and say "McJerkface" will take the same approach Shanny did

see i agree to a point. but even with a front 7 heavy draft we are going into next season with castoffs from other teams and rookies. there isn't a solid cornerstone guy in the front 7 to build around.

and then thinking there aren't many DL that come in and have immediate success, so it is likely we go into next season praying our FA scrubs become adequate starters or that we strike gold and our rookies are ready from day 1

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 05:48 PM
The only spot that are open in the defense is the NT and DE. I think the LB are set this season with Doom/Moss, Williams, Larson and Bailey. I think folks are going to be surprised when we see more offense drafted then defense.

NT and DE are very important positions and actually make the LB's look good and Fields has been labeled an underachiever in his career, and our best DE is Peterson.

with that in mind we are going to need good production out of a few DL guys we draft in at the very least a rotational basis and hope Peterson plays well and that Fields becomes the player he can be.

elsid13
03-20-2009, 05:56 PM
NT and DE are very important positions and actually make the LB's look good and Fields has been labeled an underachiever in his career, and our best DE is Peterson.

with that in mind we are going to need good production out of a few DL guys we draft in at the very least a rotational basis and hope Peterson plays well and that Fields becomes the player he can be.

Fields (a player that I have been pimping) I think is going to surprise folks. To tell the truth I don't see any rookie coming and starting this season. I expect that first pick will be either Jenkins or Wells and the second might be Gilbert or Hood. I doubt we address the NT until the fourth or fifth round with Hill.

Br0nc0Buster
03-20-2009, 06:07 PM
see i agree to a point. but even with a front 7 heavy draft we are going into next season with castoffs from other teams and rookies. there isn't a solid cornerstone guy in the front 7 to build around.

and then thinking there aren't many DL that come in and have immediate success, so it is likely we go into next season praying our FA scrubs become adequate starters or that we strike gold and our rookies are ready from day 1

There are 31 other teams competing with us for players to better their team.
We simply cant get whoever we want whenever we want.
But our talent on defense was just putrid, it is going to take time to get the D turned around.
I know Josh has been selling this win now thing, but the defense will need major overhauls.

The difference though is that we know what scheme we are running and we will be looking for players who fit into it.
With Shanny the past few years we kept changing our defense every year, there was no consistency.

It is unfair to say we are doing the same things in FA before our draft has even happened

We are not going to force things, so I think people are getting a bit impatient

watermock
03-20-2009, 06:55 PM
We have to have 25 million left....

Go ask lil hitler, he'll probably waste it on Cassell or Detroit's #1.

Stafford is going to be average. The QB class of 10 will be better.

If we trade Jay, I hope we get a first and a first in 10.

I know Colt is coming out, and Bradford??

lex
03-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Fields (a player that I have been pimping) I think is going to surprise folks. To tell the truth I don't see any rookie coming and starting this season. I expect that first pick will be either Jenkins or Wells and the second might be Gilbert or Hood. I doubt we address the NT until the fourth or fifth round with Hill.

This doesnt mean youre wrong by any stretch but I just thought Id point this out.

The workouts should move both back into consideration for the top half of the first round. Representatives from every NFL team except Denver, Kansas City and Oakland attended Friday's session.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11497275/rss

watermock
03-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Do we HAVE a scouting dept anymore?

SportinOne
03-20-2009, 07:26 PM
The defense got marginally better and probably a lot deeper, but we still need to work on it a lot. Stop gaps like Dawkins, Hill, and Davis are great but the thing about stop gaps is that you need to find their replacement sooner rather than later. Every position on defense, except for maybe one cornerback spot (Champ) and one linebacker spot (DJ), should be considered going into the draft.

nickademus
03-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Our safetys have improved by leaps and bounds over last year and honestly they will probably be average. I believe we have a few pieces in Thomas and DJ on the front 7 NT will be hard but we will see. I expect a starting LB to come out of the draft on the strong side and possibly a joker as well. The best thing about all of these changes is there is plan and we seem to be following it which is such a vast improvment it would be better than the previous years just based on that.

elsid13
03-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Do we HAVE a scouting dept anymore?

Yes, it run by Scout Inc of ESPN.

socalorado
03-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Sammie Lee Hill, yes but higher. I dont think DEN should wait for this guy.
A good NT is hard to come by. Maybe spend some of those 5ths and move up into the 3rd to get him.

orange skier
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
What about Powell......I figure he should be up to 315, and buffed and ready.......??? for one of the ends, or even the nose........???

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
There are 31 other teams competing with us for players to better their team.
We simply cant get whoever we want whenever we want.
But our talent on defense was just putrid, it is going to take time to get the D turned around.
I know Josh has been selling this win now thing, but the defense will need major overhauls.

The difference though is that we know what scheme we are running and we will be looking for players who fit into it.
With Shanny the past few years we kept changing our defense every year, there was no consistency.

It is unfair to say we are doing the same things in FA before our draft has even happened

We are not going to force things, so I think people are getting a bit impatient

exactly. too many people are pointing to the offseason acquisitions thus far as a reason to be enthusiastic about McDaniels, but until we see the product on the field, it is premature to call it one way or another with the defense.

every year under Mike we would all think we finally turned the corner and got some good guys on the roster and then we would suck after all the hope we had in offseason. too many people on here are thinking simply because someone other than Mike has brought in guys that the outcome of the players will be different.

and then with the draft, no matter how we work this season we are going to be hoping a lot of inexperienced guys or castoffs come in and play lights out, when more than likely we are still going to be pretty bad on defense, improved but still pretty bad.

and my only real problem is that, outside of Fields and Peterson there wasn't really a guy in the front 7 we brought in that dramatically improves us. there was Canty, Holliday, Olshansky, all guys with previous experience on the lines or Grady Jackson, because even if Fields is good for us, we still need a guy to rotate with him, and it is looking like we will be hoping on one of our undersized DTs from last season or a mid round draft pick this year to be that guy.

Atlas
03-20-2009, 09:46 PM
my projected line ups got Peterson and Marcus Thomas sittin at D ends

so somethin like this.......

DE-Macus Thomas
NG-Ronald Feilds
DE-Kenny Peterson

Definately the weakest part of the D need atleast one stud there, I see Thomas being our best D lineman out of that

WOLB-Moss? not lookin good
WMLB-DJ
SILB-Andra Davis(could be a steal)
SOLB-Reid? Boss Bailey?

Linebackers aren't extremely talented but we have a ton of options... DJ, andra davis, woodyard, boss, moss, crowder, doom, ried, larson......

SS - Dawkins (maybe he was FS? my bad)
FS - Renaldo Hill (also maybe swapped?)
CB Champ
CB goodman
Nickel?

Definately the strength of the D, but what's new there? either way it's a very very good secoundary

Here's to a trade for peppers and atleast four to five picks on the front seven

That is one pathetic defense

Archer81
03-20-2009, 09:54 PM
That is one pathetic defense

Maybe. Never know how it will turn out on the field though.

lex
03-21-2009, 07:28 AM
The defense got marginally better and probably a lot deeper, but we still need to work on it a lot. Stop gaps like Dawkins, Hill, and Davis are great but the thing about stop gaps is that you need to find their replacement sooner rather than later. Every position on defense, except for maybe one cornerback spot (Champ) and one linebacker spot (DJ), should be considered going into the draft.

Yeah, its affectionately called "the Stazi".

TheReverend
03-21-2009, 07:53 AM
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the defense without a knockout draft. Especially the safeties.

It WILL however, be rationalized with, "It's an improvement from last year's!"

Broncos4tw
03-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I dunno.. it can't get much worse. We certainly should improve on 6 ints. Will the pass rush improve? If not, it won't matter much. I really don't go by what the players say.

Last year, prior to year starting, the defensive players were saying "oh man, I'm really excited, the way this is going to be run is going to let us really fly around the field and make some plays!" Well, we see how well that turned out.

I'm just PO'd because of all the money and energy that is going into the entire stupid Cutler affair could have been poured into the defense instead. Offense 2nd in the league? Defense second to last? First order of business.. rebuild the offense! Brilliant!

Ambiguous
03-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I dunno.. it can't get much worse.

Choose your words carefully... I think we all said this after 2007.

barryr
03-21-2009, 11:08 AM
The Broncos have a DC in Nolan whom I believe knows what he's doing, unlike Slowik and some others Shanahan had around lately.

The defense was going to have to be rebuilt regardless of going with a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. The Broncos drafting of defensive players the last few years has especially been poor. Under Shanahan, the drafting of DL and safeties was especially poor.

Archer81
03-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I dunno.. it can't get much worse. We certainly should improve on 6 ints. Will the pass rush improve? If not, it won't matter much. I really don't go by what the players say.

Last year, prior to year starting, the defensive players were saying "oh man, I'm really excited, the way this is going to be run is going to let us really fly around the field and make some plays!" Well, we see how well that turned out.

I'm just PO'd because of all the money and energy that is going into the entire stupid Cutler affair could have been poured into the defense instead. Offense 2nd in the league? Defense second to last? First order of business.. rebuild the offense! Brilliant!

Money and energy? WTF are you babbling about? What money has been spent on Cutler in the last 3 weeks? Outside of 2 meetings, how much time has either side wasted on the other? Do you think McDaniels just sits in his office by the phone praying Jay calls him while defensive free agents are standing right in front of him going write up a contract, I'll play for you, and Josh is so wrapped up in his oversensitive and emotional QB to even pay attention to them?

skpac1001
03-21-2009, 11:28 AM

This statement (I see it alot) is becoming my pet peeve. Please show me where the offense has been rebuilt. Jay is still under contract, still a Bronco, and I am willing to bet he will be our starting qb this season. We are weeding out insignificant and/or injury riddled players at TE and RB, bringing in competition at RB, are the same people who blame our offenses struggles last year on injuries going to complain about this? Our best offensive coaches have been retained. The "new" offensive system is the one we were trying to copy, only hopefully when coached correctly it will be effective against real defenses, not just the bottom feeders.

barryr
03-21-2009, 11:34 AM
This statement (I see it alot) is becoming my pet peeve. Please show me where the offense has been rebuilt. Jay is still under contract, still a Bronco, and I am willing to bet he will be our starting qb this season. We are weeding out insignificant and/or injury riddled players at TE and RB, bringing in competition at RB, are the same people who blame our offenses struggles last year on injuries going to complain about this? Our best offensive coaches have been retained. The "new" offensive system is the one we were trying to copy, only hopefully when coached correctly it will be effective against real defenses, not just the bottom feeders.

Agreed. The only "rebuilding" of the offense going on is with the RB situation, which anyone that followed the team knows was needed. Young, Hall, and Pittman are not going to scare teams, especially since they can't even stay healthy. The OL seems intact and same with the WR spot, assuming Marshall can stay out of trouble.

Archer81
03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Agreed. The only "rebuilding" of the offense going on is with the RB situation, which anyone that followed the team knows was needed. Young, Hall, and Pittman are not going to scare teams, especially since they can't even stay healthy. The OL seems intact and same with the WR spot, assuming Marshall can stay out of trouble.

Pittman would have been a great rotational back if he would have stayed healthy...oh well though.