PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler Not Working Out

rugbythug
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
No workout.

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler has opted not to do conditioning workouts with the team at Dove Valley. Scheffler attended the team meeting with McDaniels on Monday, but since then he has been working out with Steve Hess, the trainer for the Nuggets.

Scheffler has been the subject of trade rumors in recent weeks.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11954824

theAPAOps5
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I thought everyone knew this already. Basically he went to the meeting to take notes for Cutler and Bus Cook to make sure they weren't being big meenies. He was probably wired!

Dagmar
03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
That's fine, he is a peak specimen who doesn't need conditioning since he's never injured anyway.

telluride
03-20-2009, 08:15 AM
No, he isn't, is he?

socalorado
03-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I thought everyone knew this already. Basically he went to the meeting to take notes for Cutler and Bus Cook to make sure they weren't being big meenies. He was probably wired!

How come Sheffler hasnt been given a nickname?

Tony McSh!tler

521 1N5
03-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Scheff- You arent good enough to pull this crap. Just FYI

theAPAOps5
03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
How come Sheffler hasnt been given a nickname?

The McSh!tler

I tried that with Cutler but got slammed for it. It was fun. That and Schefflers name is harder then McDaniels. All you have to do is use Mc and whatever.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Holy ****! Steve Hess is the Nuggets trainer?

I hope it's the same Steve Hess from Forza-Denver whom I'm working with for my 2010 Boston Marathon training. I know he told me he had done some work with "professional athletes." That'd be cool.

I think we should keep Scheffler. Don't run the freakin slot. Given the teams talent, the Broncos primary formation should be the singleback, Hillis in the back field, w/2 TE's and Scheffler on the weak side, subbing out Graham for Stokley/Gaffeney on third downs.

theAPAOps5
03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Is he short, beefy, and have an Aussie accent with long dreadlocked hair?

theAPAOps5
03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Actually this strategy might be smart for Scheffler. Hess has done well with injured prone athletes in Nene and Martin.

DenverBrit
03-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Nothing to worry about, he's just trying to avoid an injury. ;D

Northman
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM
That's fine, he is a peak specimen who doesn't need conditioning since he's never injured anyway.

I know.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Maybe he just doesn't want to work out with the team. I do that ALL THE TIME with Navy PT, and club hockey. They have to cater to the weakest member, so I usually skip Navy PT and go myself because I don't want a wasted workout.

Man-Goblin
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cGKeDGaGHdsf/610x.jpgIs he short, beefy, and have an Aussie accent with long dreadlocked hair?

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Is he short, beefy, and have an Aussie accent with long dreadlocked hair?

I've actually only communicated with him via email. His facility is very nice, located in Downtown Denver on Curtis St., a couple of blocks north of the 16the Street Mall.

I think he's cutting me a deal via my military service, and the fact that my Dad works in his building @ Denver place... $100 a month for group sessions and a marathon plan, and I get one-on-one training with one of his trainers, and nutrition advising.

He seems very organized; a very talented trainer.

Maybe the Broncos could benefit from him. I've always been critical of the training the Broncos have. We've been so injury prone ... it doesn't matter who we've put back there, either ... maybe it's the system, or Antonopolis or Tuten. It might be why Scheffler went with him instead of the Broncos - not contract issues.

EDIT - Yep, it's the same guy. From his webpage:

Steve Hess is the Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Denver Nuggets, a position he has held for nine years, and will be responsible for developing the training methodologies for FORZA Fitness and Performance Club. Hess creates and administers individual workout programs for each player throughout the entire year, overseeing every aspect of these programs. He is recognized locally and nationally as one of the top experts in strength and conditioning, training numerous professional athletes in the off-season from Denver's professional teams.

That's freaking cool.

montrose
03-20-2009, 08:44 AM
I wish the Broncos hired Hess. What he's done with Nene and Martin is incredible.

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Ah...so THAT'S the creepy dude I see when the Nuggets are on TV.

rugbythug
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM
I wish the Broncos hired Hess. What he's done with Nene and Martin is incredible.

Dude he gave Nene Cancer. Actually Maybe he is already working with Jay.

ohiobronco2
03-20-2009, 09:06 AM

When trying to be funny goes wrong. :nono:

elsid13
03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Holy ****! Steve Hess is the Nuggets trainer?

I hope it's the same Steve Hess from Forza-Denver whom I'm working with for my 2010 Boston Marathon training. I know he told me he had done some work with "professional athletes." That'd be cool.

I think we should keep Scheffler. Don't run the freakin slot. Given the teams talent, the Broncos primary formation should be the singleback, Hillis in the back field, w/2 TE's and Scheffler on the weak side, subbing out Graham for Stokley/Gaffeney on third downs.

I don't understand why McDaniels seems to hard to trade Scheffer. Scheff would be excellent weapon to cause match up problems from spread offense. If other team come out in base defense, Scheff could flex wide, like Dallas Clark, and keep Graham to block. If the other team goes into nickle/dime package the two TE could stay tight and Denver goes to power running game.

eddie mac
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't understand why McDaniels seems to hard to trade Scheffer. Scheff would be excellent weapon to cause match up problems from spread offense. If other team come out in base defense, Scheff could flex wide, like Dallas Clark, and keep Graham to block. If the other team goes into nickle/dime package the two TE could stay tight and Denver goes to power running game.

Maybe he feels he can get decent compensation for him and that could be utilised in a more needy area of the team.

Xanders stated prior to FA the Broncos plan was to attempt to acquire more picks.

ZONA
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM

Yeah, pretty lame attempt at humor there dude. ???

Drek
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM

When has there been anything but local media throwing **** at the wall suggesting we'd trade Sheffler?

We very well might now because he's taking this Jay Cutler thing WAY too damn personally, especially for someone not named Jay Cutler. But you're talking about an HC who found a significant role for Ben Watson, an athlete very similar in skills to Sheffler, his four seasons as play caller for the Patriots.

orange skier
03-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I think we should keep Scheffler. Don't run the freakin slot. Given the teams talent, the Broncos primary formation should be the singleback, Hillis in the back field, w/2 TE's and Scheffler on the weak side, subbing out Graham for Stokley/Gaffeney on third downs.[/QUOTE]

Dream on........you can also toss away our zone blocking schemes, and the rest of the offense that got us second in the league in yards gained, and an 8 and 8 record..............

Dagmar
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
I tried that with Cutler but got slammed for it. It was fun. That and Schefflers name is harder then McDaniels. All you have to do is use Mc and whatever.

All you do with Cutler is add an N after the 1st 2 letters

rugbythug
03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah, pretty lame attempt at humor there dude. ???

When trying to be funny goes wrong.

Ok to be clear I am not saying he Gave Cutler cancer. But Cutler has become Cancer. And If you can't laugh about Cancer of the Nutz What can you laugh about? My Dad had Prostate Cancer, So did his, So does my Uncle. If you can't laugh about it all you can do is Cry.

theAPAOps5
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Dream on........you can also toss away our zone blocking schemes, and the rest of the offense that got us second in the league in yards gained, and an 8 and 8 record..............

NE ran zone blocking but yeah I guess its okay to assume. Again yards are great but when you are 16th in scoring you have room to improve.

BabyTO
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Cutler + Sheffler
vs
Quinn + Rogers + 2nd round pick 09 and 2nd or 3rd round pick 2010.

Sign me up. :strong:

elsid13
03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
NE ran zone blocking but yeah I guess its okay to assume. Again yards are great but when you are 16th in scoring you have room to improve.

With three new starters on the line. The key to ZBS line is having the understanding of what the player next to you is going to do and react based upon what he see. I strongly believe that line will improve it run block the more experience it has together.

Archer81
03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I think we should keep sheff. But at least he showed up for the meeting on monday. Anyone else tired of the lead in story on ESPIN or NFL Network being whatever was said in the paper today?

:Broncos:

Drek
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM

As Apa pointed out, NE ran some ZBS schemes under McDaniels.

More importantly, we retained Dennison and Turner. That should be a big hint in and of itself that the ZBS is here to stay.

Popps
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Sheffler. ::)

How many games has this guy started the past two seasons. I swear, it couldn't have been 16.

montrose
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Maybe he feels he can get decent compensation for him and that could be utilised in a more needy area of the team.

Xanders stated prior to FA the Broncos plan was to attempt to acquire more picks.

I think that's part of it, and his recent comments lead me to think he may not have the drive they're looking for. Just speculative on my part.

When has there been anything but local media throwing **** at the wall suggesting we'd trade Sheffler?

For what it's worth, Scheffler's facebook status has talked about being traded a couple of times. I think if a team gets him with Cutler it's a great value because of the rapport between the two. If you're dealing him independently he may only be worth a 4-5th round pick but with Cutler, I'd raise his value to a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd.

Atlas
03-20-2009, 10:57 AM

We very well might now because he's taking this Jay Cutler thing WAY too damn personally, especially for someone not named Jay Cutler. But you're talking about an HC who found a significant role for Ben Watson, an athlete very similar in skills to Sheffler, his four seasons as play caller for the Patriots.

Uh, wrong. Scheffler was injured last year and he caught more passes than Watson.

Beantown Bronco
03-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Sheffler. ::)

How many games has this guy started the past two seasons. I swear, it couldn't have been 16.

14 according to nfl.com

Though I think most of the non-starts were just because of their formation for the first play of the game....because he played in all 16 games in 08 and 13 last year.

He's only completely missed 3 games due to injury in the past two season.

Smiling Assassin27
03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
on first read, i thought this was what mcd was communicating to scheff about his place on this team....

scheff, you're just not working out...

Drek
03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Uh, wrong. Scheffler was injured last year and he caught more passes than Watson.

What?

I'm not saying Ben Watson is a better TE. But they're both big, fast TEs who aren't the best in line blockers in the world. McDaniels was more than willing to make Watson a centerpiece in his offense not too long ago, so the notion that he would have absolutely no role for Scheffler is a myth.

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Cutler + Sheffler
vs
Quinn + Rogers + 2nd round pick 09 and 2nd or 3rd round pick 2010.

Sign me up. :strong:

The Browns would be stealing from us in that trade.

As for Scheffler...

Remember when we were trying to get Michael Clayton so we could have two big bodies to go with Royal in the slot.

We could very well switch Tony to WR with TE only in 2 TE sets.

Would give us Marshall/Scheffler + Royal to go with Stokely, Gaffney, and Jackson.

Scheffler is just as fast as Marshall and has better hands, is an inch taller and heavier. He isn't as good at YAC (spinning/dodging etc though) His only knock is the injuries... which if he fixes would make him a star in this league.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 01:01 PM

it is voluntary, and he is working out on his own with a trainer. it isn't like he said he wasn't going to attend and then went home and is sitting on his couch eating wings and pizza and drinking beer.