PDA

View Full Version : Elway speaks on Cutler!

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Denver Broncos legendary quarterback John Elway had a few things to say about the Jay Cutler soap opera. Elway was attending a fundraising event in Pueblo, CO.

Speaking at a fundraising event in Pueblo, Elway said, “I’m disappointed for both sides, I look at the Denver Broncos organization as the best in the NFL, as well as Jay Cutler as (one of) the top five quarterbacks in the league.”

He went on to say, “I just hope with everything that’s gone on, obviously, there’s been feelings hurt along the way, that they can get over that and realize that it’s all about winning football games.”

Elway was also optimistic that things will work out in the long run.

“I’m sure that they’ll keep working on it and we’re going through a phase right now, obviously Jay’s feelings have been hurt, and I understand that because if you like the place you are playing you don’t want to hear your name in trade talks,” Elway said. “It’s tough, I’m hopeful, I think Pat Bowlen’s still the best owner in the NFL and if I’m Jay Cutler, the place I wanna play is a place where the No. 1 thing that counts is winning Super Bowls and that’s what Pat Bowlen cares about.”

Amen Elway! I think Elway is going to pull another comeback victory out for the Denver Broncos. Elway to save the day! Hurry get Cutler on the phone now. Tell him what you think. Cutler must listen to the ultimate Bronco, right?

http://coloradosportsdesk.com/wp/?p=130

Also I found it interesting how our beloved Elway says Jay is a top 5 QB. Anyone want to challenge him or remind us of how much Jay "sucks" as a QB and how we'd be so much better off with some scrub/rookie in his place tossing the pigskin? Spin it all you want Cutler haters. The king of all Broncos has spoken, and if you are going to say he's wrong (a Hall of Fame QB) then you're only further admitting your stupidity.

He does make it clear though that Cutler should realize that Denver is one of the best places for him to succeed as a QB. Hopefully the FO and Cutler are just sitting back right now and letting everything cool off. Come training camp McDaniels should be able to get 1v1 and hopefully by now he will be able to talk with Cutler and acctually assure him he's the QB if he works hard like he was doing originally (studied the playbook 2 weeks strait, prior to the trade fiasco).

Ratboy
03-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Elway for GM!!

Ratboy
03-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Come on, John.

Call Pat Bowlen up and smack sense into him.

watermock
03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
That would the greatest comeback of all...

Unless he's got Jay's #, it's all talk.

This isn't the Dove Valley Elway rode off into the sunset with.

bpc
03-20-2009, 12:52 AM
I thought the rumor in January about Elway being GM was one of the silliest thing i've heard in awhile... now i'm starting to hope it happens. At least the guy has a brain in his head which is more than I can say for Bowlen, Colonel or McNugget.

Ratboy
03-20-2009, 12:52 AM
If Elway told Bowlen to jump, He would ask, "how high?"

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
That would the greatest comeback of all...

Unless he's got Jay's #, it's all talk.

This isn't the Dove Valley Elway rode off into the sunset with.

Oh, I'm sure John has Jay's #. However I doubt he's calling him and getting involved in this mess. Again, I hope things just stay as they are... quiet... and come training camp when Cutler reports (like he said he would to all mandatory events) everything will be settled. I just don't want to deal with mediocrity at QB again for another decade or more. I actually ENJOY watching Jay play and get better through time. I'm hoping we can all watch the offense grow up together and our new defense tears some faces a part.

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Denver Broncos legendary quarterback John Elway had a few things to say about the Jay Cutler soap opera. Elway was attending a fundraising event in Pueblo, CO.

Speaking at a fundraising event in Pueblo, Elway said, “I’m disappointed for both sides, I look at the Denver Broncos organization as the best in the NFL, as well as Jay Cutler as (one of) the top five quarterbacks in the league.”

He went on to say, “I just hope with everything that’s gone on, obviously, there’s been feelings hurt along the way, that they can get over that and realize that it’s all about winning football games.”

“I’m sure that they’ll keep working on it and we’re going through a phase right now, obviously Jay’s feelings have been hurt, and I understand that because if you like the place you are playing you don’t want to hear your name in trade talks,” Elway said. “It’s tough, I’m hopeful, I think Pat Bowlen’s still the best owner in the NFL and if I’m Jay Cutler, the place I wanna play is a place where the No. 1 thing that counts is winning Super Bowls and that’s what Pat Bowlen cares about.”

Amen Elway! I think Elway is going to pull another comeback victory out for the Denver Broncos. Elway to save the day! Hurry get Cutler on the phone now. Tell him what you think. Cutler must listen to the ultimate Bronco, right?

Also I found it interesting how our beloved Elway says Jay is a top 5 QB. Anyone want to challenge him or remind us of how much Jay "sucks" as a QB and how we'd be so much better off with some scrub/rookie in his place tossing the pigskin? Spin it all you want Cutler haters. The king of all Broncos has spoken, and if you are going to say he's wrong (a Hall of Fame QB) then you're only further admitting your stupidity.

He does make it clear though that Cutler should realize that Denver is one of the best places for him to succeed as a QB. Hopefully the FO and Cutler are just sitting back right now and letting everything cool off. Come training camp McDaniels should be able to get 1v1 and hopefully by now he will be able to talk with Cutler and acctually assure him he's the QB if he works hard like he was doing originally (studied the playbook 2 weeks strait, prior to the trade fiasco).

Certainly, it used to be. But a lot has changed in the last 3 months.

Popps
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
John played it smart. Said absolutely nothing and really supported neither side.

He knows Bowlen is one of the best owners in sports and knows that half of Denver will be chippy if he rails on Cutler. So, he took the path of least resistance and said zero.

Smart move, #7.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 12:59 AM

Not to mention, he doesn't mention his feelings being hurt by someone comparing their arm to his...he was cocky too.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
John played it smart. Said absolutely nothing and really supported neither side.

He knows Bowlen is one of the best owners in sports and knows that half of Denver will be chippy if he rails on Cutler. So, he took the path of least resistance and said zero.

Smart move, #7.

Yeah, assumptions are OK if you're the one making them. You're a trip.

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 01:02 AM

Smart move, #7.

Yeah, he was very wise... but you have to remember that #7 has a few years of experience in dealing with existence within the "goldfish bowl" of media attention.

Nonetheless, good interview.

watermock
03-20-2009, 01:16 AM

Smart move, #7.

Really?

It sounded more like he was living in the past.

watermock
03-20-2009, 01:21 AM

Is Bowlen really, given the last 3 months?

Has he shown any ability to negotiate a solution?

Or command one?

He's gun shy about the CBA and the economy or something.

He's still hoping for a resolution, but it won't be as easy this time as in '91.

Dudeskey
03-20-2009, 01:22 AM
meh, I'm going back to bed...

BroncoBuff
03-20-2009, 01:33 AM
I thought the rumor in January about Elway being GM was one of the silliest thing i've heard in awhile... now i'm starting to hope it happens. At least the guy has a brain in his head which is more than I can say for Bowlen, Colonel or McNugget.

I kinda started that rumor .... :(

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 01:51 AM
What I noticed is that Elway gave props to both Cutler and Bowlen... but there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of the Patriot.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 02:25 AM
What I noticed is that Elway gave props to both Cutler and Bowlen... but there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of the Patriot.

I know :rofl: :thumbs:

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Elway for GM!!

**** that. Elway for Owner, GM, Player-HC

Popps
03-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Yeah, he was very wise... but you have to remember that #7 has a few years of experience in dealing with existence within the "goldfish bowl" of media attention.

Nonetheless, good interview.

Yea, I mean... he said things that were correct, and I agree... Jay's best opportunity in the short-term is in Denver.

But, he wisely avoided taking sides.

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Yea, I mean... he said things that were correct, and I agree... Jay's best opportunity in the short-term is in Denver.

But, he wisely avoided taking sides.

John is a Bronco. Josh is a Patriot.

lex
03-20-2009, 03:02 AM

Thats what stood out to me as well. Its what Ive been saying. This is more about Pat and Jay. Whatever Josh does is because Pat allows it to happen. It goes back to Pat.

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2009, 03:36 AM
I don't know why more people aren't hitting on it, but after all the Cutler haters shifted from being mad at him for "whining" to attacking him as being a crappy/average QB who cant win, what with his horrible 86 QB rating and all... Elway clearly stated he thought Cutler was a top 5 QB in the ENTIRE NFL.

In no order, P. Manning, Brees, Rivers (had to), Brady, Cutler... that's your top 5. I'd put Warner in the mix too, tbh. After these guys you have E. Manning and Big Ben... then you got a young up and coming Cutler'esq player in Matt Ryan who I believe will be a top QB in a few years.

We really need to fix this. I don't want to turn in to the Browns, Lions, Bucs... among tons of other teams who have been searching forever for a franchise QB. Waiting through Griese and Plummer was enough. I don't care what anyone says... if we have the current Cutler in 2005 we go at least 14-2, obliterate the Steelers, and go on to win the Super Bowl. Plummer managed the game admirably under Shanahan and Kubiak's tutalage, but Cutler would have taken our offense to another level.

Anyway... if whenever I see a person calling Cutler a crappy QB now, it's nice to point out Elway, our Hall of Fame QB, clearly says otherwise.

lex
03-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I don't know why more people aren't hitting on it, but after all the Cutler haters shifted from being mad at him for "whining" to attacking him as being a crappy/average QB who cant win, what with his horrible 86 QB rating and all... Elway clearly stated he thought Cutler was a top 5 QB in the ENTIRE NFL.

In no order, P. Manning, Brees, Rivers (had to), Brady, Cutler... that's your top 5. I'd put Warner in the mix too, tbh. After these guys you have E. Manning and Big Ben... then you got a young up and coming Cutler'esq player in Matt Ryan who I believe will be a top QB in a few years.

We really need to fix this. I don't want to turn in to the Browns, Lions, Bucs... among tons of other teams who have been searching forever for a franchise QB. Waiting through Griese and Plummer was enough. I don't care what anyone says... if we have the current Cutler in 2005 we go at least 14-2, obliterate the Steelers, and go on to win the Super Bowl. Plummer managed the game admirably under Shanahan and Kubiak's tutalage, but Cutler would have taken our offense to another level.

Anyway... if whenever I see a person calling Cutler a crappy QB now, it's nice to point out Elway, our Hall of Fame QB, clearly says otherwise.

Solomon Wilcots has 4 guys in clearly in the top 4: Brees, Manning, Brady, and R'berger. He says there are then several guys in the mix to be 5 and Cutler is as good as any of them...but Cutler is also the youngest of anyone in the mix. I kind of agree with this. Im not so sure R'berger is better but based on accomplishment, Ill acknowledge him as a top 4 QB.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 04:04 AM
Solomon Wilcots has 4 guys in clearly in the top 4: Brees, Manning, Brady, and R'berger. He says there are then several guys in the mix to be 5 and Cutler is as good as any of them...but Cutler is also the youngest of anyone in the mix. I kind of agree with this. Im not so sure R'berger is better but based on accomplishment, Ill acknowledge him as a top 4 QB.

Roth has "touch" as a talent and Jay has "arm" for a talent. Neither one is great at the other's best talent.....

crazyhorse
03-20-2009, 04:19 AM
There is no way in hell Cutler is top 5.

UberBroncoMan
03-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Some people will call gold, yellow metal even after it's been proven gold simply because they don't want their previous declarations to be false. Not sure if you've been doing that.

I guess Elway is just an idiot then. I mean what does that guy know about QB's.

crazyhorse
03-20-2009, 04:22 AM
I guess Elway is just an idiot then.

He also called the Broncos orgnization the best in football.

I wasn't attacking anyone. Just making a simple statement. You would have a difficult time argueing Cutler as top 5.

Manning and Brady are definately top 2. Depending who you are as to what order you put them in. Then you have QBs like Brees, Rothlesberger, McNabb, Warner, and as much as no one here wants to hear it Rivers has been better. These are QBs that are clearly better. Now it's a debate for how the list breaks down after that.

gunns
03-20-2009, 04:33 AM

Smart move, #7.

Yep, he knows both sides are wrong and that both sides are right. It's really too bad that there are no "men" involved in this temper tantrum on either side. How hard is it to say, "I'm sorry. I handled that wrong" by both sides.

crazyhorse
03-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Yep, he knows both sides are wrong and that both sides are right. It's really too bad that there are no "men" involved in this temper tantrum on either side. How hard is it to say, "I'm sorry. I handled that wrong" by both sides.

There is a contract negotaiation in progress, IMO. There is no incentive on the Cutler front to appologize. His agent keeps him pissed off while he generates competition for his (Cutlers)services.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Elway for GM!!

I wish Elway would have taken a post liek that. From what I understand, Pat has offered Elway multiple positions in the orginization and he's turned them down.

HEAV
03-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Elway said. “It’s tough, I’m hopeful, I think Pat Bowlen’s still the best owner in the NFL and if I’m Jay Cutler, the place I wanna play is a place where the No. 1 thing that counts is winning Super Bowls and that’s what Pat Bowlen cares about

Sadly Jay is about Jay right now...or his agent is...or both.

7 will always be my childhood hero. But now it's a different era with these young players. Stats,dollars and public persona override winning to some of these kids.

If Jay is serious about wins and championship he would stay in Denver. A trade could land him in a worse situation with no sight of winning. ie Detriot.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 06:23 AM
It's mostly his agent. Mostly.

Broncoman13
03-20-2009, 06:26 AM

Oh, go suck on your Mustang's tailPIPE! Your stuck with Cassel, deal with it...

crazyhorse
03-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Oh, go suck on your Mustang's tailPIPE! Your stuck with Cassel, deal with it...

So....you agree with me?

TonyR
03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
I guess Elway is just an idiot then. I mean what does that guy know about QB's.

I hate to break it to you but being a great former player does not in any way, shape or form make you credible as a talent evaluator. Professional sports is littered with former top tier players who are terrible in FO positions. Michael Jordan, perhaps the best basketball player ever, has been a disaster in NBA management. Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale also come to mind in the NBA. Matt Millen is one of many recent former standout NFL players to be disastrous in NFL management positions. So I'm not saying Cutler isn't a top 5 NFL QB (although I don't think he is quite yet) but John Elway's opinion on the matter isn't quite as important as you are making it out to be. And I'm a huge fan of 7.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 07:36 AM
I hate to break it to you but being a great former player does not in any way, shape or form make you credible as a talent evaluator. Professional sports is littered with former top tier players who are terrible in FO positions. Michael Jordan, perhaps the best basketball player ever, has been a disaster in NBA management. Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale also come to mind in the NBA. Matt Millen is one of many recent former standout NFL players to be disastrous in NFL management positions. So I'm not saying Cutler isn't a top 5 NFL QB (although I don't think he is quite yet) but John Elway's opinion on the matter isn't quite as important as you are making it out to be. And I'm a huge fan of 7.

You know, Mario Lemiux hasn't done too well with the Penguins.

MplsBronco
03-20-2009, 07:41 AM

I think the vast majority of people on here think Cutler has great talent. Not alot of people are arguing that. What we don't like is the primadonna act and bs games being played against the TEAM we love.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-20-2009, 07:57 AM

When are some of you going to learn?

If I think Cutler is being a little ****ing baby, it's not because I hate him. I still want him as our quarterback, I just think he's acting like a little ****ing baby. And yes, it pisses me off.

Enough with the "if you don't see it my way, you must be stupid" hyperbole. Enough with the "if you want Jay back but think this thing has been overblown, you must hate Jay" bull****.
Enough with the "I hate McDaniels, let's fire him and bring back Shanahan" nonsense.

it's getting very old.

Smiling Assassin27
03-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Nobody has called Cutler a crappy qb--this is a non-sequitur and a strawman. What has been said is that the guy has shown glimmers of brilliance, moments of mediocrity, and glints of an average qb. The guy is a mixed bag at this stage of his career as an nfl qb, so why are some painting him as the next peyton manning? you can point fingers at the defense all you want, but the guy produced mixed results in the clutch at best, so he bears some responsibility for the colossal tank job the team had last season. This league is about showing us, not telling us. Eli and Big Ben have shown us by winning rings and sacking up when it counted on the biggest stage in the sport. Ben's done it twice. You can rant all you want about stats but until you factor in performance under duress and, uh, WINS, you can keep that silly stat stuff to yourself. Elway may think he's a top 5 qb or maybe he's just stroking the kid. Irrelevant.

Very few players are bigger than the team. Elway was, though he never assumed that position. Cutler is not, nor should he be. His skills are now being overshadowed by his sense of entitlement and lack of professionalism in the midst of an organization in flux. Maturity is not high on this kid's list at the moment, and it can only hurt himself and whatever team he ends up with. If the organization doesn't see Jay in its plans, so be it. That does not justify Cutler's whiny antics and media whoring. Being professional means handling good times and bad times with some semblance of maturity, dignity, and poise. Jay has not done this.

dbfan4life
03-20-2009, 08:26 AM

You mean right now at this very moment? Maybe, maybe not. Season's just starting. "No way in hell" is a but extreme. He very well could be a top five by the end of this season.

crazyhorse
03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
You mean right now at this very moment? Maybe, maybe not. Season's just starting. "No way in hell" is a but extreme. He very well could be a top five by the end of this season.

He's not top 5 right now. I dont know how that became unclear to you. I said there's no way in hell he IS top 5. I'm right. There are a number of QB that "could be" top 5 by the end of the year.

Further, Cutler needs to be a leader before he can even enter the running. He's shown there is potential from a talent stand point to be top 5. But as a leader, he's in the bottom 5.

Look at McNabb. He's gone thru TO, a benching mid season last year, the team has drafted his replacement, the fans. That guy has gone thru the gauntlet of crap and still leads his team. I'm not a big McNabb fan, but he is certainly an example of how "not to piss down your leg" when something happens you dont like. He's a pro QB in every sense. Cutler, is not even close.

Personally, I would rather have a QB with a little less talent and more leadership on my team, than another Jeff George.

Now, that's just my opinion. Jay can definately become these things. But until that happens, I likely wouldn't put him in the top 10 overall from a performance + leadership QB rating.

Drek
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM

He's easily not in the top 5 going by last season.

He looks like a top 5 QB, hell he looks like the best QB in the league, when he's having a good day.

He looks like a mediocre backup when he's having a bad day.

Last year he split good days versus bad days 8/8.

I love that Elway is clearly a big Broncos homer, but Brady, P. Manning, Roethslithberger, and Brees are all significantly better without question. Rivers grossly out performed Cutler just last year and took the division away from him. Carson Palmer when healthy is a much more consistent QB who has had at least as many awe inspiring games. Eli Manning has shown more consistency, a better level of overall play as a result, and enough clutch play making ability to win a SB.

I could go on.

Cutler has the talent to be the best QB in the NFL for his generation. But right now he's in a similar class to Matt Ryan, in that he needs to turn glimpses of greatness into a regular occurrence. I think if he stays in Denver and works with McDaniels that'll happen and he'll be unquestionably in the top 3 QBs in the NFL within three seasons or so.

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Oh, I'm sure John has Jay's #. However I doubt he's calling him and getting involved in this mess. Again, I hope things just stay as they are... quiet... and come training camp when Cutler reports (like he said he would to all mandatory events) everything will be settled. I just don't want to deal with mediocrity at QB again for another decade or more. I actually ENJOY watching Jay play and get better through time. I'm hoping we can all watch the offense grow up together and our new defense tears some faces a part.

I love John to pieces but he also said Plummer was great, too. Different context, but still...that IS his old team, you know. What else would you expect him to say? Everyone stinks?

I dunno about GM...that shadow would be monstrous with him sitting up in the booth. Besides, next year the arena league should be back.

And didn't John say he wanted a team in L.A.?

TonyR
03-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Look at McNabb. He's gone thru TO, a benching mid season last year, the team has drafted his replacement, the fans. That guy has gone thru the gauntlet of crap and still leads his team. I'm not a big McNabb fan, but he is certainly an example of how "not to piss down your leg" when something happens you dont like. He's a pro QB in every sense. Cutler, is not even close.

Great example. McNabb went through a lot and proceeded to lead his team into the playoffs by winning 4 of their last 5 games, won 2 playoff games, and played well in the NFCCG loss to Arizona.

Rohirrim
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Cutler has one of the best arms I've ever seen...

Punisher
03-20-2009, 09:02 AM
"When a wise man speaks you listen"

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Nobody has called Cutler a crappy qb--this is a non-sequitur and a strawman. What has been said is that the guy has shown glimmers of brilliance, moments of mediocrity, and glints of an average qb. The guy is a mixed bag at this stage of his career as an nfl qb, so why are some painting him as the next peyton manning? you can point fingers at the defense all you want, but the guy produced mixed results in the clutch at best, so he bears some responsibility for the colossal tank job the team had last season. This league is about showing us, not telling us. Eli and Big Ben have shown us by winning rings and sacking up when it counted on the biggest stage in the sport. Ben's done it twice. You can rant all you want about stats but until you factor in performance under duress and, uh, WINS, you can keep that silly stat stuff to yourself. Elway may think he's a top 5 qb or maybe he's just stroking the kid. Irrelevant.

Very few players are bigger than the team. Elway was, though he never assumed that position. Cutler is not, nor should he be. His skills are now being overshadowed by his sense of entitlement and lack of professionalism in the midst of an organization in flux. Maturity is not high on this kid's list at the moment, and it can only hurt himself and whatever team he ends up with. If the organization doesn't see Jay in its plans, so be it. That does not justify Cutler's whiny antics and media whoring. Being professional means handling good times and bad times with some semblance of maturity, dignity, and poise. Jay has not done this.

And not to make anyone sore, but what does Cutler have that no one's seen before? A strong arm? All the gushing just makes me scratch my head...
and really, without the arm what is this so called ceiling everyone keeps yammering about?
his knack for winning?
his leadership in the lockerroom?
his sense of the game?
field presence?
charisma?

Can I list some other 'cannons?'

Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
Jamarcus Russell
The titans qb what's his name
The ravens qb what's his name

Oh my! no gushing...

no wait, the titan's qb was the ultimate. How'd that turn out? Kerry Collins.
O...o...Calling mr. 'tank' Russell...arm like Elway, too.
Mr. Boller...throws 70 yards on his knees...
Grossman, the sex cannon....throw it to hell...whatever happens happens!
Ravens current qb, what's his face...controlled his cannon and squeaked to a playoff game with good defense. bombed ultimately, but the team wasn't as good as the record.

sometimes it pays to watch the games, not just the final stat categories.

and you wonder why less physically talented qbs are called the best in the game. Brady has NOTHING physically that stands out, and neither does Peyton. Good NFL skill sets, nothing exceptional.

Shoot, Peyton's dad was asked about this once with great qbs. He said #7 was the best he ever saw, period.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any of those things. What I do see is a strong armed guy with confidence. I think people confuse different things.

Dedhed
03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Probably because he doesn't want to be embroiled in the rife conjecture that's out there.

Elway knows both Cutler and Bowlen personally. Basically all he said was that he thinks both sides are good for the other. Why would he launch himself into the maelstrom by proffering an opinion about someone he knows nothing about?

BTW- He reiterated McDaniels's message:It's about wins, and nothing else.

SportinOne
03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
If Elway told Bowlen to jump, He would ask, "how high?"

Looks like the same holds true for the Orange Mane. Come on guys, there is nothing of substance here. He is basically sticking up for both sides, not trying to cause any controversy. Just talking so that he can say that he weighed in on it and the press can stop bothering him about it. However, the ability to talk a lot and say very little is one of the many basic skills that a GM (or anyone in the FO) must have. So i suppose he is on his way.

SportinOne
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Welcome back, and yes, he IS a top 5 QB. People get too caught up in wins and losses when they are judging the individual performances of quarterbacks. Same thing with pitchers in baseball. But it makes absolutely no sense at all to do this. You have to learn to isolate.

Dagmar
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Certainly, it used to be. But a lot has changed in the last 3 months.

I know, right? COuldn't we have just kept missing out on the playoffs to the Chiefs and losing 98 points to our biggest rivals in 2 games with spectacular collapses? And keeping the same D-coordinator? I long for the days of Slowik.

Atlas
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Smart move, #7.

I thought Elway would take more of a Bowlen stance, but he did say that Jay was a top 5 QB and that he "understood" what Jay was going through.

To me if you're trading a top 5 QB the value should be no less than 3 No. 1 picks. Or 2 no. 1 picks and a probowl player. That is where I start.

Drek
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Welcome back, and yes, he IS a top 5 QB. People get too caught up in wins and losses when they are judging the individual performances of quarterbacks. Same thing with pitchers in baseball. But it makes absolutely no sense at all to do this. You have to learn to isolate.

Top 5 QBs don't have a QB rating below 80 for half their games.

That isolating enough for you? Entirely on Cutler's production. 50% of the time he was below average, the other 50% he was bad ass. Top 5 QBs don't have that level of flux in their game.

HEAV
03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Cutler has one of the best arms I've ever seen...

True, but his $1.99 head has drop the ooohhhh and aaahhhh factor in that arm.

This team needs a leader at quarterback, someone that even when the floor is collasping under him, he can still lead a group of men out of the building.

While Jay has all the skills to be a quarterback, he has a lacking of mental toughness too deal with change. What's worse is he has an ego that amplifies his lack of mental tougness.

Elway dealt with the Denver media, the national media, the Reeves issues, the fans... yet he never asked to be traded, never went to the media with in house issues, John just showed up played and won games.

frerottenextelway
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM

That isolating enough for you? Entirely on Cutler's production. 50% of the time he was below average, the other 50% he was bad ass. Top 5 QBs don't have that level of flux in their game.

Wasn't Elway's career QB rating below 80?

Looking at W/L, the team with a comparable D to Denver had 0 W's last year.

HEAV
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Not to mention is you take Jay's stats and Plummer's stats, removed the names attached to the stats they look very close in TD's,INT's, completions.

lex
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM

If his QB rating would have been between 80 and 90 every game, we probably would have only won 6 games this year.

Atlas
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Elway did.

I think Elway was projecting anyway. Jay might not have been a top 5 QB last year, but he has only been in the league 3 years.

Atlas
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Not to mention is you take Jay's stats and Plummer's stats, removed the names attached to the stats they look very close in TD's,INT's, completions.

Plummer was a 10 year vet, Cutler a virtual rookie. Why don't you look at Plummer's stats from his first three years and I think you know what you'll see.

In fact compare the first three years of the great QBs of ALL-TIME to Cutler's first three years and Cutler is right there with Marino, Montana and Manning, but let's not let facts get in the way with the slant.

Cutler is 13-1 when the opposing team scores 21 points or fewer.

CEH
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Plummer was a 10 year vet, Cutler a virtual rookie. Why don't you look at Plummer's stats from his first three years and I think you know what you'll see.

In fact compare the first three years of the great QBs of ALL-TIME to Cutler's first three years and Cutler is right there with Marino, Montana and Manning, but let's not let facts get in the way with the slant.

True and furthermore, Plummer is 2-15 when the other team scores 25+. I'm not sure why anyone would want to argue Cutler vs Plummer. It's a losing argument.

rastaman
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Probably because he doesn't want to be embroiled in the rife conjecture that's out there.

Elway knows both Cutler and Bowlen personally. Basically all he said was that he thinks both sides are good for the other. Why would he launch himself into the maelstrom by proffering an opinion about someone he knows nothing about?

BTW- He reiterated McDaniels's message:It's about wins, and nothing else.

Elway's comments and stance basically came from having been a player and having loved playing for Bowlen. But I think a part of Elway is actually siding with Cutler deep down b/c he once went thru his difficulties with Reeves and was especially hurt and pissed when he asked for a WR and Reeves turns around and drafts a QB; and Elway's replacement at that.

Lastly, Elway see's the big picture and understands fully that in the off season the NFL is a business, and one day, just maybe Elway will have a son who may find themselves in he same situation Culter now finds himself in.

HEAV
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm just comparing two QB's within a same time frame, in the same system, same coach...

But hey whatever makes the Baby Jay lovers happy:welcome:

cabronco
03-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Come on, John.

Call Pat Bowlen up and smack sense into him.

Exactly...All John would need to do is call the hot line to Pats desk, thats engraved John Elway. Pat would trip over his feet to get to the hot phone. John could simply give his take on the situation...Ya know Pat , losing Jay would be a big mistake for the organization, why dont you put your foot down and make a stand that Cutler is the Broncos QB and nobody's going to change that ! Hello ? Hello ? Mr. Bowlen you still there ? Ya John just needed to get a drink, I mean cup of water... Remember when you said, this one's for John ! Pat..umm, No. Well any ways, do the right thing, take control, and dont let your franchise QB get away, they dont come around very often ! See ya tonight at Hooters, see ya.

elsid13
03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm just comparing two QB's within a same time frame, in the same system, same coach...

But hey whatever makes the Baby Jay lovers happy:welcome:

But you leave out one of the most critical parts of the success in NFL, experience. There is reason a vet perform better then a rookie. It not skill (everyone in the NFL has), or game plans or systems it about understand and recognizing what going on in split seconds you have to execute.

SportinOne
03-20-2009, 11:38 AM

That depends on how much stock you put into the QB rating in the first place. I get your point, though. Realize, however, that even the QB rating doesn't take into account JUST the QB. If you really think about the QB's role in every play, there is not one stat that can completely isolate what the QB does.

Baseball is a bit different that way. While using ERA, WHIP, and BAA isn't an exact science, it's a pretty good isolator. QB rating is dependent on the receivers as well, and not just something as simple as a dropped catch.

SportinOne
03-20-2009, 11:43 AM

/Heav's credibility

dbfan4life
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
He's not top 5 right now. I dont know how that became unclear to you. I said there's no way in hell he IS top 5. I'm right. There are a number of QB that "could be" top 5 by the end of the year.

I was just debating the 'no way in hell' part. Can I say with a straight face that he is? No, I'm not claiming that but I'm not discounting that right now, at this very moment, that he isn't. No way in hell is extreme.

Rock Chalk
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
So....you agree with me?

FWIW I do. Top 10 probably, top 5 no.

Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers, Brees, McNabb, Warner IMO are all better than Cutler....RIGHT NOW. Doesnt mean he wont get into the top 5 at some point in his career in Detroit, but he isnt in the top 5 right now.

Drek
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
That depends on how much stock you put into the QB rating in the first place. I get your point, though. Realize, however, that even the QB rating doesn't take into account JUST the QB. If you really think about the QB's role in every play, there is not one stat that can completely isolate what the QB does.

Baseball is a bit different that way. While using ERA, WHIP, and BAA isn't an exact science, it's a pretty good isolator. QB rating is dependent on the receivers as well, and not just something as simple as a dropped catch.

As someone who has created their own metrics in baseball and tried to find a workable model in football, believe me, I know.

But Elway wasn't "John Elway, future HOF and top QB in the league" back when he had the consistency problems of Cutler.

I agree with Atlas, I think John is projecting his own experiences on Cutler, in that he thinks Cutler will be a top 5 QB in the very near future, given the right environment.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM

QB rating is about as useful as LaDainian in the playoffs.

/Hey-yo!

WolfpackGuy
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
QB rating is a bogus stat.
It doesn't take account a QB's ability to run or avoid a sack.

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Exactly...All John would need to do is call the hot line to Pats desk, thats engraved John Elway. Pat would trip over his feet to get to the hot phone. John could simply give his take on the situation...Ya know Pat , losing Jay would be a big mistake for the organization, why dont you put your foot down and make a stand that Cutler is the Broncos QB and nobody's going to change that ! Hello ? Hello ? Mr. Bowlen you still there ? Ya John just needed to get a drink, I mean cup of water... Remember when you said, this one's for John ! Pat..umm, No. Well any ways, do the right thing, take control, and dont let your franchise QB get away, they dont come around very often ! See ya tonight at Hooters, see ya.

That wouldn't be well received by Jay. He's a grown man, and John's out of the picture. Frankly he might resent the "nose" factor. From a fanboy view that sounds great, but I don't know how that would play in real life.

John: "Uh look, Jay, I've got some opinions and I want to offer you some advice?"

Jay: "Ain't none of your buisness. Excuse me, did I ask for your advice? I know you were great and all, but its a new deal now. And oh yeah, my arm is still stronger than yours ever was."

John: "*(J@(^(@@ _***hole!"

gadlaw
03-20-2009, 03:41 PM
The King has spoken, long live the King. I'm with the King on this one.

Sassy
03-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Elway says Broncos feud ‘sad and unfortunate’
1 hour, 42 minutes ago

Buzz up!5 votes PrintENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—John Elway is saddened for both Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos in the simmering feud that could end in an ugly split.

The Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback made his first comments about the conflict, telling The Pueblo Chieftain the rift between the quarterback and the new regime of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders is “sad and unfortunate.”

“Obviously, there was a lack of communication somewhere to where it blew this thing up to where it has got to now,” Elway told the newspaper while in Pueblo for a fundraiser on Thursday night. “I’m sad for both sides.

“… I understand Jay’s feelings got hurt, but it’s too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from.”

The feud started when Cutler learned McDaniels had brought his name up in trade talks that would have brought Matt Cassell from New England and sent Cutler to Tampa Bay.

The sides talked twice, once by phone and once face-to-face, but were unable to repair the relationship.

Cutler has instructed his agent, Bus Cook, to ask the Broncos to trade him. McDaniels still hopes to smooth things over with his quarterback.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-20-2009, 06:18 PM
John is a Bronco. Josh is a Patriot.

Oh jeez, get over it.

Spider
03-20-2009, 06:23 PM
what else was Elway to say ?
Reporter : Hey John , can I ask you what do you think of Josh -Cutler drama ?
Elway: back in my day , I used to **** guys like Cutler in training camp , my arm was much stronger then his ..........As for Josh , I just walk in and tell him I am boss , and if anyone gets traded it is him ....... Then tell him just hope I dont trade you to a black Gang in Canyon city prison .......... Got it ......

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh jeez, get over it.

It's gonna take some evidence from the Patriot that he's capable of doing the job/handling the power that he has. I haven't seen that at all yet.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-20-2009, 06:36 PM
It's gonna take some evidence from the Patriot that he's capable of doing the job/handling the power that he has. I haven't seen that at all yet.

So the fact that he's unproven suggests he doesn't care and isn't trying? Asinine.

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
So the fact that he's unproven suggests he doesn't care and isn't trying? Asinine.

I'll try really hard to find a way to live with the knowledge that you don't approve. :P :)

Br0nc0Buster
03-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I'll try really hard to find a way to live with the knowledge that you don't approve. :P :)

or you could put that knowledge to use to form logical and rounded arguments and opinions.

Maybe it is just me, but the whole "Josh is a Patriot" and "Lamont Jordon is a waste of roster space" dont strike me as intelligent and thought out responses, but instead emotionally driven dribble.

But then again thats just my opinion

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
or you could put that knowledge to use to form logical and rounded arguments and opinions.

Maybe it is just me, but the whole "Josh is a Patriot" and "Lamont Jordon is a waste of roster space" dont strike me as intelligent and thought out responses, but instead emotionally driven dribble.

But then again thats just my opinion

Oh, well. I think I can live with your disapproval too. ;D

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 08:17 PM
what else was Elway to say ?
Reporter : Hey John , can I ask you what do you think of Josh -Cutler drama ?
Elway: back in my day , I used to **** guys like Cutler in training camp , my arm was much stronger then his ..........As for Josh , I just walk in and tell him I am boss , and if anyone gets traded it is him ....... Then tell him just hope I dont trade you to a black Gang in Canyon city prison .......... Got it ......

Josh doesn't like black people? http://scosoft.com/s/o/637f8f82.gif

Spider
03-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Josh doesn't like black people? http://scosoft.com/s/o/637f8f82.gif

Not in his keyster

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 08:32 PM
As someone who has created their own metrics in baseball and tried to find a workable model in football, believe me, I know.

But Elway wasn't "John Elway, future HOF and top QB in the league" back when he had the consistency problems of Cutler.

I agree with Atlas, I think John is projecting his own experiences on Cutler, in that he thinks Cutler will be a top 5 QB in the very near future, given the right environment.

Still must Cutler bow to the awesomeness of the seven... the universal butterfly effect of the nfl. John singlehandedly:

ruined Cleveland
helped create the Ravens by proxy (when Cleveland fled...no superbowls)
made al davis curse fate
traumatized the Colts (who also fled)
nearly became a cowboy
nearly became a charger
nearly became a raider
nearly involved in a trade with miami for marino and picks!
nearly became a redskin in '91 (or not. everyone in dc was reserving super bowl tickets)
teased the Yankees

all that, and a cannon arm, too. Ha!

thus, the duke hath spoken. all must hear. :sunshine:

houghtam
03-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Oh, well. I think I can live with your disapproval too. ;D

...and I'm sure McDaniels loses sleep every night knowing he doesn't have your support.

HEAV
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Elway says Broncos feud ‘sad and unfortunate’
1 hour, 42 minutes ago

Buzz up!5 votes PrintENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—John Elway is saddened for both Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos in the simmering feud that could end in an ugly split.

The Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback made his first comments about the conflict, telling The Pueblo Chieftain the rift between the quarterback and the new regime of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders is “sad and unfortunate.”

“Obviously, there was a lack of communication somewhere to where it blew this thing up to where it has got to now,” Elway told the newspaper while in Pueblo for a fundraiser on Thursday night. “I’m sad for both sides.

“… I understand Jay’s feelings got hurt, but it’s too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from.”

The feud started when Cutler learned McDaniels had brought his name up in trade talks that would have brought Matt Cassell from New England and sent Cutler to Tampa Bay.

The sides talked twice, once by phone and once face-to-face, but were unable to repair the relationship.

Cutler has instructed his agent, Bus Cook, to ask the Broncos to trade him. McDaniels still hopes to smooth things over with his quarterback.

Interesting that the link/column/piece didn't include that part...Seems like someone was (again) tryng to make Jay look good. I mean they cut Elway's qoute in half making it seem like he feel Jay is 100% in the right!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2009-03-20-elway-cutler_N.htm

"For Jay, there's not a better place to play football and to have a better opportunity to win Super Bowls because you have an owner (Pat Bowlen) who wants to win Super Bowls," Elway said.

"As a quarterback, that's all you can ask for. I understand Jay's feelings got hurt, but it's too bad it has got to where it is. I wish Jay would have got some better advice from whoever he was getting advice from," he said.

Blueflame
03-20-2009, 10:33 PM
...and I'm sure McDaniels loses sleep every night knowing he doesn't have your support.

I haven't wasted even a single second pondering what the Patriot thinks.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
praise be the elway amen so sayeth the elway, im gonna start a elway cult whos with me

Spider
03-20-2009, 10:42 PM
praise be the elway amen so sayeth the elway, im gonna start a elway cult whos with me

I am not a huge Elway fan , but damn he does know what he is talking about

SoCalBronco
03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
You know, Mario Lemiux hasn't done too well with the Penguins.

Yeah...he's only rescued them from oblivion twice as an owner....got the state to fund a shiny new arena...won the East last year and will be in the postseason again this year.

Yeah, Le Magnifique is really struggling as an owner, isn't he?

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-21-2009, 01:09 AM

HERITIC HOW DARE YOU BE SMIRCH THE ELWAY!
for it is written in the book of elway hallowed be thy elway for he is the way to glory amen i shall now find you and drug you and make you a zombie to serve the evil al davis aka the anti elway Hilarious! ok i admit it i heard hes a jerk off the field. but i still love thy bronco savior elway

Spider
03-21-2009, 01:29 AM
for it is written in the book of elway hallowed be thy elway for he is the way to glory amen i shall now find you and drug you and make you a zombie to serve the evil al davis aka the anti elway Hilarious! ok i admit it i heard hes a jerk off the field. but i still love thy bronco savior elway

LOL ..........yeah I agree on field Elway was bad ass . off field ..... not so much

UberBroncoMan
03-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah...he's only rescued them from oblivion twice as an owner....got the state to fund a shiny new arena...won the East last year and will be in the postseason again this year.

Yeah, Le Magnifique is really struggling as an owner, isn't he?

... and as a player. That entire city owes Hockey to him.

Circle Orange
03-22-2009, 09:48 AM

Beware, thou infidel...toads and blight may plague thee and thy kin...;D

Circle Orange
03-22-2009, 09:53 AM

Cult robes

Small $4.99
Medium $5.99
Large $6.99
X Large $10.99
XX Large $13.99
Jumbo $15.99

Candles

tapers $1 a dozen
3 inch $6.99
6 inch $8.99
3 wick $14.99