PDA

View Full Version : Belichick confirms more ESPN lies (Cutler)

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Bill Belichick, speaking on WEEI in Boston, said he never received an offer for a first- and third-round pick for Matt Cassel.

"They never made that offer to me," Belichick said, indicating there were no official late offers in the Cassel dealing. Without getting too specific, Belichick said he was in contact with multiple teams after Cassel signed his franchise tender and he took the best offer he got. He also indicated that the complexities of a three-way trade (presumably including Jay Cutler) could have taken a long time to play out, largely because it would have been contingent on new contracts. Reading between the lines, it seemed like the Patriots didn't have a firm offer or the patience to wait for one because they needed cap relief.

ESPN (Mortensen) categorically stated that the Broncos offered their 1st rd pick for Matt Cassel.

Makes you think what other **** they've been spinning in this Cutler debacle???

Kaylore
03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
This doesn't confirm anything. They said they were "late to the party" and they didn't have their crap together because they were working on the seven free agent signings.

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
This doesn't confirm anything. They said they were "late to the party" and they didn't have their crap together because they were working on the seven free agent signings.

Khan it makes it clear that the Broncos never offered their 12th pick

Mortensen stated they did.

It also makes it clear the Bucs never offered their 1st and 3rd.

How the **** is that not clear???

barryr
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I never felt this thing made sense. I believe the Pats took the best and most realistic deal they got offered. If they felt they could have gotten more, then of course they would have waited a little while at least.

Any deal involving the Broncos got to be involving multiple teams and deals like that are rarely done. This is why I don't believe a deal involving the Broncos really got that serious.

Pseudofool
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
This might give add to the cyncism that the Broncos/McD were spearheading any of these deals. It doesn't sound like the three-way deal was ever very serious.

barryr
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM

This has been going on since the beginning of this. Numerous stories and all contradicting themselves in one way or the other. They all then can't be right, which shows the media is more interested in fanning the flames instead of any truth.

Bronx33
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
This might give add to the cyncism that the Broncos/McD were spearheading any of these deals. It doesn't sound like the three-way deal was ever very serious.

It was serious to jay obviously.LOL

Steve Prefontaine
03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
So wait...everyone is just believing Belichick?

Dude is the biggest prick/scumbag coach in the NFL.

Elway777
03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
The Broncos should just get rid of MCidiot. He lied to every Bronco fan and I have zero respect for him. That would need this crazy situation. I has no idea who to hire but MCidiot will never to able to gain the trust of any Bronco player.

theAPAOps5
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
No don't you get it of course Belichick is going to take the time to lie for McDaniels, its how they work. Anyone who can't see that is blind. LOLZ!!!!!1!1!!!1

Kaylore
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM

It is clear. Mortensen was wrong, and its not the first time.

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 05:16 PM

What reason would he have to lie about something like this???

Furthermore why the **** would he deal a player for less than he could've got???

This has been a total sham from the start blown out of proportion by the media and utilised to their best interests by Bus Cook (It's no secret he's looking for a payday this year with no big 2009 rookies on his books).

Now we're at the point of possible no return just because McDaniels mulled over an offer for his QB that would've seen him receive another QB and mulitple high draft picks.

Popps
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Bill Belichick, speaking on WEEI in Boston, said he never received an offer for a first- and third-round pick for Matt Cassel.

"They never made that offer to me"

Wow. Anyone else around here tell you that was bull****?

Anyone you can think of?

Pseudofool
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
It was serious to jay obviously.LOL
Obviously. But if he's the only one who took it seriously, his problem is clearly a case of hemorrhoidal butthurt.

Taco John
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Keep in mind that Jay's information - wherever he's getting it from - is that the Broncos shopped him, and were still shopping him:

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said Saturday. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys, but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

Meanwhile, this is what he's hearing from the Broncos when Buzz Cook called them : http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=15826

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM

"They never made that offer to me"

Wow. Anyone else around here tell you that was bull****?

Anyone you can think of?

Xanders???LOL

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Does anyone honestly believe that if McDaniels really wanted Cassel that bad he would've pulled the trigger on a deal before the Pats dealt him for pick 34???

FFS if that was the case a blind man would've seen he'd get more for Cutler anyway without the need of a 3 team deal. Bucs/Vikes/Lions/Jets were crying out for a QB.

The cap was never an issue for us either. If we had have been planning this from the start we had $37m to play with. Taking that $14m on would've been a doddle and no doubt a new contract with a lower 2009 cap would never have been a problem either.

Popps
03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Xanders???LOL

LOL

Inkana7
03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Excellent.

cutthemdown
03-19-2009, 05:41 PM
These agents can get sportwriters to say things they want. Bus Cook pulled the strings like a master.

worm
03-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Bill sure makes it sound like there was a 'soft' 3 team trade as well as informal offers from multiple teams that were at least discussed with him.

He pulled the trigger fairly quickly for a player that was generating interest from multiple teams. It was the 1st day of FA!

barryr
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Bill sure makes it sound like there was a 'soft' 3 team trade as well as informal offers from multiple teams that were at least discussed with him.

He pulled the trigger fairly quickly for a player that was generating interest from multiple teams. It was the 1st day of FA!

Which is why I don't believe the Broncos had any serious trade talks in all of this. The Pats could have waited at least a few days if they felt a 3 team trade or whatever really had a chance of working out and could have gotten more for Cassell.

I also don't believe Bellichick made a quick deal to screw McDaniels. They didn't leave on bad terms and McDaniels wasn't Mangini, who went on to coach a divisional foe either.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Not the second time either...sure as hell won't be his last.
---------------------

"They never made that offer to me," Belichick said, indicating there were no official late offers in the Cassel dealing. Without getting too specific, Belichick said he was in contact with multiple teams after Cassel signed his franchise tender and he took the best offer he got.

He also indicated that the complexities of a three-way trade (presumably including Jay Cutler) could have taken a long time to play out, largely because it would have been contingent on new contracts. Reading between the lines, it seemed like the Patriots didn't have a firm offer or the patience to wait for one because they needed cap relief.
-------------

I wonder how Jay...errrr I mean Bus Cook will spin this. " No no there was an offer! They told us, Jay, that there was an offer... Their Lie'n to my client!"

I doubt we will see any Bus Cook players in Denver for a long time.

But anyway. Back to trying to blame this on McDaniels al you Shanny/Jay man crush posters...

HEAV
03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
These agents can get sportwriters to say things they want. Bus Cook pulled the strings like a master.

Werd!

Cook makes the Shark look like a goldfish now.

crazyhorse
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
BB may not have recieved an offer of a 1st rounder. Given it was a 3 party trade that was no where near being finalized, the 1st pick may have been offered to the other party and BB had no knowledge of it. Negotiations would have had to be finalized between Denver and Tampa, or Detriot before going to NE.

Just because BB never heard of the 1st rounder doesn't mean they weren't talking 1st round swaps in the trade on some level.

Or is there something I'm missing?

socalorado
03-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Puss Cook has been playing everyone (including many here) the whole F'N time.

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
LOL

Belichick is known lying cheat, but now everyone believes what he has to say

barryr
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Belichick gains little by lying.

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Belichick gains little by lying.

I think he said the same thing about video taping

:spit:

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
BB may not have recieved an offer of a 1st rounder. Given it was a 3 party trade that was no where near being finalized, the 1st pick may have been offered to the other party and BB had no knowledge of it. Negotiations would have had to be finalized between Denver and Tampa, or Detriot before going to NE.

Just because BB never heard of the 1st rounder doesn't mean they weren't talking 1st round swaps in the trade on some level.

Or is there something I'm missing?

The deals involved included NE getting someone's first rounder. Not Denver's but Detroits or the Bucs.

BB doesnt pass up a better deal for a weaker one. He didnt become a HoF coach for nothing.

Now this still doesnt mean Denver didnt shop Jay, but it does look from this anyway, that Denver was more curious than anything but never really serious.

What gets me is that why the hell is Jay still mad? Holy crap, he still has a job...for now...and he is still a Bronco. It does seem unlikely at this point Denver will get a good enough deal with a good enough QB to make any trade with Cutler worth it.

I think once the moment Cassel became unavailable, then Cutler had secured for certain his role in Denver. I dont think that we would have kept him if Cassell was available and we got some seriously sweet deal out of it though. And, IMO, nor should we have. Cassell with Denver's offense could definitately succeed here and we could have gotten 2 first potentially? Take that every time and run.

barryr
03-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I think he said the same thing about video taping

Um, how do those have anything at all in common? He had something to gain, or lose, by lying on that one.

ZONA
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
What gets me is that why the hell is Jay still mad? Holy crap, he still has a job...for now...and he is still a Bronco. It does seem unlikely at this point Denver will get a good enough deal with a good enough QB to make any trade with Cutler worth it.

I don't think he's upset to tell you the truth. I think maybe initially he was but it money talking right now.

Jays latest comment saying that he loved here and liked playing with these guys but it doesn't look like he will be allowed to do that anymore. Does that sound so much like somebody screaming like bloody hell to get out of dodge? Not to me. Sounds more and more like this is a contract game being played by one Bus Crook :)

TonyR
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Can't wait to see what all the drama queen, Jay Cutler fanboy, McD haters have to say about this...

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think he's upset to tell you the truth. I think maybe initially he was but it money talking right now.

Jays latest comment saying that he loved here and liked playing with these guys but it doesn't look like he will be allowed to do that anymore. Does that sound so much like somebody screaming like bloody hell to get out of dodge? Not to me. Sounds more and more like this is a contract game being played by one Bus Crook :)

Thats not his latest comment. That was said early on in the fiasco.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM

EXACTLY! It took until post #8 in here for somebody to say this?! :~ohyah!:

Popps
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Can't wait to see what all the drama queen, Jay Cutler fanboy, McD haters have to say about this...

Those who feel a need to hate the new Broncos will find a reason to disbelieve this, regardless of how obvious it should have been from the beginning.

For whatever reason, and maybe it's a Shanahan-backlash thing.... some people just can't accept that Cutler is the problem, at this point. It's painfully obvious.

Bronx33
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM

Well that kinda ticks me off that jay would even allow bus crook to trash the organization that way and throw everybody and everything into a tail spin.

barryr
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm wondering if Cutler stays, what the fan reaction will be for him? If he struggles in a game at home, will the fans be more quick to boo than maybe ordinarily would?

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Um, how do those have anything at all in common? He had something to gain, or lose, by lying on that one.

my bad...he only lies half of the time.....

Popps
03-19-2009, 06:49 PM
EXACTLY! It took until post #8 in here for somebody to say this?! :~ohyah!:

Again, only a fool would have believed that Bill B. would take WORSE deals just to make a "point" (whatever that would have been) about his ex-coach.

This just confirms the obvious for those who were out there in fairy-tale land.

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm wondering if Cutler stays, what the fan reaction will be for him? If he struggles in a game at home, will the fans be more quick to boo than maybe ordinarily would?

of course we will boo.....he's got more than a few batteries, snowballs , and cups of beer with his name on it.

barryr
03-19-2009, 06:50 PM
my bad...he only lies half of the time.....

4 Super Bowls in 7 years. I doubt many Pat fans care.

barryr
03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Again, only a fool would have believed that Bill B. would take WORSE deals just to make a "point" (whatever that would have been) about his ex-coach.

This just confirms the obvious for those who were out there in fairy-tale land.

Plus the GM in KC worked came from the Pats, so why would he want to stick to a former coach and in the process, help a former guy in management? This makes sense?

Bronx33
03-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Jay and his wonder agent are making jays bed and sadly if jay stays he has to sleep in it.

barryr
03-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Jay and his wonder agent are making jays bed and sadly if jay stay he has to sleep in it.

If Cutler stays, I will get over what he and his agent are pulling at some point at least. But I wonder if I'm in the minority with that and he's set himself up to get even more heat whenever he throws a pick?

Bronx33
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
If Cutler stays, I will get over what he and his agent are pulling at some point at least. But I wonder if I'm in the minority with that and he's set himself up to get even more heat whenever he throws a pick?

See that's where bus cook doesn't care ( if jay gets his pay day ) and that's where jay needs to be careful all this BS will be raising expectations for next season and yes the crowd will be on him like a 2 dollar hooker if he ***** up.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
For whatever reason, some people just can't accept that Cutler is the problem, at this point. It's painfully obvious.

You got the "pain" part right ... :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Those who feel a need to hate the new Broncos will find a reason to disbelieve this, regardless of how obvious it should have been from the beginning.

For whatever reason, and maybe it's a Shanahan-backlash thing.... some people just can't accept that Cutler is the problem, at this point. It's painfully obvious.

we changed something?

watermock
03-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Popps

Of course not. The 1st and 3rd and Cassell would of gone to denver, not Ne.

Unless McFail is obsessed. Jesus.

WTF make Cassell worth more than Cutler?

Other and 13 million more salary?

Popps
03-19-2009, 07:58 PM
we changed something?

Oh, we're changing lots.

Been gone for a while?

Popps
03-19-2009, 08:00 PM
WTF make Cassell worth more than Cutler?
ry?

Nothing, which is why it was bull**** from the start.

But, people here were falling all over themselves to believe it, of course.

"Dude, see.... Bill B. took a lower pick so he could stick it to McDaniels because he signed the long-snapper."

I swear to god, I think somebody said that.

DBroncos4life
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Oh, we're changing lots.

Been gone for a while?

I thought it our team was still the Denver Broncos. Is this like the TMNT becoming the New TMNT?

extralife
03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Anyone else wondering why Belichick is talking to the media about this? The dude hates the media. He never talks to them about anything. And now he goes out of his way to talk to sports radio about another team? Something strange is going on here.

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Anyone else wondering why Belichick is talking to the media about this? The dude hates the media. He never talks to them about anything. And now he goes out of his way to talk to sports radio about another team? Something strange is going on here.
Did he go out of his way to talk to the media? Or did they ask him the question that they have basically posed to pretty much everyone in the nation already?

Popps
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM

http://www.yestodemocracy.com/.a/6a00e553a9e7ec8834011168a2382f970c-800wi

KyleDelexus
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM

"They never made that offer to me," Belichick said, indicating there were no official late offers in the Cassel dealing. Without getting too specific, Belichick said he was in contact with multiple teams after Cassel signed his franchise tender and he took the best offer he got. He also indicated that the complexities of a three-way trade (presumably including Jay Cutler) could have taken a long time to play out, largely because it would have been contingent on new contracts. Reading between the lines, it seemed like the Patriots didn't have a firm offer or the patience to wait for one because they needed cap relief.

ESPN (Mortensen) categorically stated that the Broncos offered their 1st rd pick for Matt Cassel.

Makes you think what other **** they've been spinning in this Cutler debacle???

"Getting a contract done, getting a trade done, getting all that, to think that's going to happen in five minutes in a situation like that that came up that weekend -- which is what I think some people have kind of put out there -- I don't think that's really accurate. It just doesn't really happen like that in this league."

You left this BB quote out. So he heard about all that was in the works, but took a concrete offer because they had to clear cap room to make some moves for FA's. He didn't think a deal would end up getting worked out given the complexity of a 3 team deal, but that doesn't mean the donks didn't offer their 1st in some way or another. There is a reason Pioli didn't work out a new contract with Cassel before going ahead with the trade.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 12:41 AM
The deals involved included NE getting someone's first rounder. Not Denver's but Detroits or the Bucs.

BB doesnt pass up a better deal for a weaker one. He didnt become a HoF coach for nothing.

Now this still doesnt mean Denver didnt shop Jay, but it does look from this anyway, that Denver was more curious than anything but never really serious.

I think once the moment Cassel became unavailable, then Cutler had secured for certain his role in Denver. I dont think that we would have kept him if Cassell was available and we got some seriously sweet deal out of it though. And, IMO, nor should we have. Cassell with Denver's offense could definitately succeed here and we could have gotten 2 first potentially? Take that every time and run.

What gets me is that you don't understand why Jay is mad? It's been posted enough times for you to understand the arguement. If you can't acknowledge the arguement then go away. We know you don't agree with it but it's still there. There is nothing interesting here. Please move along.....

hambone13
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
"Getting a contract done, getting a trade done, getting all that, to think that's going to happen in five minutes in a situation like that that came up that weekend -- which is what I think some people have kind of put out there -- I don't think that's really accurate. It just doesn't really happen like that in this league."

You left this BB quote out. So he heard about all that was in the works, but took a concrete offer because they had to clear cap room to make some moves for FA's. He didn't think a deal would end up getting worked out given the complexity of a 3 team deal, but that doesn't mean the donks didn't offer their 1st in some way or another. There is a reason Pioli didn't work out a new contract with Cassel before going ahead with the trade.

Precisely. BB didn't approach the Broncos because he knew it would be a debacle. He took what he could get knowing the rumors of Cutler being traded would put a deal into shambles. He was wise enough to know that Cutler wouldn't go any where w/o a fight and a huge issue. Apparently BB keeps his lips as closed to his assistant coaches as he does to the media about his strategy, otherwise he would have taught his OC the lesson he learned in Cleveland. The fact that BB is even commenting on this situation is just baffling to me. How does he benefit from saying anything at all? Saying something! More controversy.

Popps
03-20-2009, 01:00 AM
What gets me is that you don't understand why Jay is mad? .....

No, he just doesn't give a mother**** why Jay has the pouts.

It's time for big-boy world, now.

Jay said himself, "it's a business."

Well, treat it like one, Jay. Get in and do your job. If not, **** right off.

I'm not sure why we need to have deep discussions about this kid's delicate sensitivities and emotional owies.

WE GET IT already, he's pouty. Someone may or may not have fibbed to him. Stop the presses. People in business sometimes lie. Now, can we all move forward like grown people and stop coddling this adult-child?

WE GET IT, dude... he's pouty. Good lord.

Popps
03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Precisely. BB didn't approach the Broncos because he knew it would be a debacle. He took what he could get knowing the rumors of Cutler being traded would put a deal into shambles. .

What the hell are you talking about.

The guy said himself that there was no such offer on the table. There were discussions with no serious offer. Those were his words. If there WERE serious offers, Cassel would be a Bronco as I type this.

Again, the simplicity here is almost painful. These attempts to make this something it isn't are almost embarrassing to read.

Hulamau
03-20-2009, 01:05 AM

The core of ESPN is Bus Cook's Official Mouth piece, including running a full article on Cook/Cutler's sob song now.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 01:07 AM
No, he just doesn't give a mother**** why Jay has the pouts.

It's time for big-boy world, now.

Jay said himself, "it's a business."

Well, treat it like one, Jay. Get in and do your job. If not, **** right off.

I'm not sure why we need to have deep discussions about this kid's delicate sensitivities and emotional owies.

WE GET IT already, he's pouty. Someone may or may not have fibbed to him. Stop the presses. People in business sometimes lie. Now, can we all move forward like grown people and stop coddling this adult-child?

WE GET IT, dude... he's pouty. Good lord.

I've already given you pouty. That doesn't change the fact that the FO is full of **** and he's still reeling from it. You represent the same logic with your emotional responses.....get over it. You have not control over his actions either.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 01:12 AM
What the hell are you talking about.

The guy said himself that there was no such offer on the table. There were discussions with no serious offer. Those were his words. If there WERE serious offers, Cassel would be a Bronco as I type this.

Again, the simplicity here is almost painful. These attempts to make this something it isn't are almost embarrassing to read.

I mis-spoke. I'll give you that. I meant to imply, as I have already, that had he heard about the involvement of Cutler being in the trade talks or "considered" approaching the Broncos, he would have gone the other way.

I don't know how what I wrote would change anything I've said or the situation anyway? I'm not making **** out of the situation that is anything more than is already there. If anyone is guilty of that it's you.

Hulamau
03-20-2009, 01:13 AM

That's easy, he hates the media, and likely slim ball agents enough to stuff it down their shirts when reading one lie after another in support of the 'JayisCooked' disinformation machine.

Plus, BB is throwing a bone to his understudy, even hard-ass Belichick has a little bit of heart left ... somewhere... and can empathize with what McD is going through now ... especially because of his experience with Kosar in Cleveland.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Jay Cutler fanboys lose...fact. Sorry the facts don't support you boys

hambone13
03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Jay Cutler fanboys lose...fact. Sorry the facts don't support you boys

Where ever JC plays next year, how much money do you want to put on him having a 3,500+ yrd/25+TD season wherever he goes?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Where ever JC plays next year, how much money do you want to put on him having a 3,500+ yrd/25+TD season wherever he goes?

I could not care less about Jay Cutler's stats. I will be more than willing to bet you that his team won't win more than 9 games (unless it's the Broncos).

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 02:04 AM
I could not care less about Jay Cutler's stats. I will be more than willing to bet you that his team won't win more than 9 games (unless it's the Broncos).

Lol there are so many more talented teams out there then ours right now but somehow you believe we can win 9 games with Cutler. Have you seen our schedule? Have you seen our D? I think its safe to bet that the only teams he couldn't win more then 8 games with next year would be the Lions and us.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Lol there are so many more talented teams out there then ours right now but somehow you believe we can win 9 games with Cutler. Have you seen our schedule? Have you seen our D? I think its safe to bet that the only teams he couldn't win more then 8 games with next year would be the Lions and us.

Ah, surprising. Excuses a-plenty for Cutler before the mini-camps even begin. Stunning Hilarious!

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Ah, surprising. Excuses a-plenty for Cutler before the mini-camps even begin. Stunning Hilarious!

So you look at this roster and think its a playoff team? I love how everyone gets a kick out of us being so active in the FA period but seems to forget we cut like half our D from the year before. I don't think we had a choice but to sign other players. With Cutler I think we can win 8 games without him we won't win more then 2.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 02:55 AM
So you look at this roster and think its a playoff team? I love how everyone gets a kick out of us being so active in the FA period but seems to forget we cut like half our D from the year before. I don't think we had a choice but to sign other players. With Cutler I think we can win 8 games without him we won't win more then 2.

We won 8 games last season even with a pitiful defense and special teams and inconsistent offense. Sorry, I'm not throwing the towel in on the '09 season even if you are. I think we improve on offense (we'll be better than 16th in scoring and 8th worst in TOs) and defense (we couldn't get worse than 447 point allowed for sure), maybe even special teams. And I'm not worrying about the supposed horrible schedule yet. Parity alters schedules every season. Miami and Atlanta looked like patsy, sure-fire wins last season. I believe we will at least match 8 wins.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 03:18 AM
We won 8 games last season even with a pitiful defense and special teams and inconsistent offense. Sorry, I'm not throwing the towel in on the '09 season even if you are. I think we improve on offense (we'll be better than 16th in scoring and 8th worst in TOs) and defense (we couldn't get worse than 447 point allowed for sure), maybe even special teams. And I'm not worrying about the supposed horrible schedule yet. Parity alters schedules every season. Miami and Atlanta looked like patsy, sure-fire wins last season. I believe we will at least match 8 wins.

Is this 8 wins you are talking about with or without Jay Cutler? This O won't get better in any area with Simms as the starter or a Rookie.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Is this 8 wins you are talking about with or without Jay Cutler? This O won't get better in any area with Simms as the starter or a Rookie.

Inferno is kinda like Rome. He just uses the stats that are convenient.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 03:25 AM

Well he just said in that 10 team rumor thread that Jay is better then any option out there or in the draft so I don't see how we can improve on O with a worse QB. I mean our struggles on O have to be linked to Jay and only Jay.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 03:28 AM

Obviously, we don't know who will be the starting QB at this point. But, I will place a sig bet with you right now that we will win at least 8 games next season regardless of the QB. That means it could be Cutler, Simms, or my dead grandmother. What say you?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 03:29 AM
[QUOTE=hambone13;2344921]Inferno is kinda like Rome. He just uses the stats that are convenient.

Obviously, we don't know who will be the starting QB at this point. But, I will place a sig bet with you right now that we will win at least 8 games next season regardless of the QB. That means it could be Cutler, Simms, or my dead grandmother. What say you?

hambone13
03-20-2009, 03:30 AM
[QUOTE=hambone13;2344921]Inferno is kinda like Rome. He just uses the stats that are convenient.[/QUOTE

WTF would I make the bed if Cutler was here? I'll make the bet if Cutler is no longer with us......if he is, i'm sure we will win more than 8, even with our schedule. I'd go so far as to say, it will be 10.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Well he just said in that 10 team rumor thread that Jay is better then any option out there or in the draft so I don't see how we can improve on O with a worse QB. I mean our struggles on O have to be linked to Jay and only Jay.

Jay has a lot of talent, and I place his value based on that talent. He's a better bet to a QB-needy team than Stafford or Sanchez. That said, he hasn't proven that he is more than talent yet. So, that's where I stand with him.

OBF1
03-20-2009, 03:33 AM
The Broncos should just get rid of MCidiot. He lied to every Bronco fan .

I am glad you were the Bronco fan he talked to... I never had a conversation with him, So he never lied to me.

eddie mac
03-20-2009, 03:36 AM

Read the piece again then go and research numerous statements from ESPN stating Denver offered this, the Bucs offered that and then tell me who lied here???

Belichick clearly states he did not receive any offer better than 34, what does it ****ing matter if there's conjecture out there that the Broncos/Lions/Bucs where working on any deal to trade for Cassel??? None of them made an offer.

Infact the only sources that have not lied to date stated the Lions offered 1-1, 1-20 and Cassel for Cutler, a 2nd and a 3rd. McDaniels in his position as HC has every right to take a proposal like that to Xanders (He never took it as far as speaking to Bowlen) so that shows you how far this progressed.

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Read the piece again then go and research numerous statements from ESPN stating Denver offered this, the Bucs offered that and then tell me who lied here???

Belichick clearly states he did not receive any offer better than 34, what does it ****ing matter if there's conjecture out there that the Broncos/Lions/Bucs where working on any deal to trade for Cassel??? None of them made an offer.

Infact the only sources that have not lied to date stated the Lions offered 1-1, 1-20 and Cassel for Cutler, a 2nd and a 3rd. McDaniels in his position as HC has every right to take a proposal like that to Xanders (He never took it as far as speaking to Bowlen) so that shows you how far this progressed.

Don't annoy these folks with facts, eddie. They'd rather live in their fantasy world where Fabio--I mean, Cutler--can do no wrong.

DBroncos4life
03-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Jay has a lot of talent, and I place his value based on that talent. He's a better bet to a QB-needy team than Stafford or Sanchez. That said, he hasn't proven that he is more than talent yet. So, that's where I stand with him.

So his 13-1 record when the D does its part of the team job doesn't impress you? I mean **** man we have to score over 28 points per game to win each week so far when Jay has been the starter.

Atwater His Ass
03-20-2009, 03:54 AM

Wow, this really has to be one of the most uninformed posts made recently. Just wow dude, you are so blinded.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Wow, this really has to be one of the most uninformed posts made recently. Just wow dude, you are so blinded.

Am I losing my mind or is Inferno really Ashley Lelie!?

ELEVATION
03-20-2009, 04:19 AM
one thing we all should have learned by now is that ESPN and the rest of the garbage ass media.... cant be trusted....and Mortensen.....wow dont even get me started.....

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2009, 07:50 AM
ESPN is full of liar and rabble rousers and I am suprised anybody watches them outside of actual sports, aka broadcasts and scores. It's all they are actually good for. I bet it's the sole reason some actaully pay for cable. Get rid of it and cable.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Not the second time either...sure as hell won't be his last.
---------------------

Mortenson screwed up?

But wait... when is Shanahan due in Kansas City? Any day now, right?

TonyR
03-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Here's the comments from the Boston Globe article on the subject:

"We pretty much had the deal done with Kansas City because there really wasn't any interest," said Belichick. "Some of the teams who said [we could do it] as part of a three-way trade and that kind of thing, I don't want to get into the specifics, but believe me, those teams I personally had contact with 24 to 48 hours before the confirmation of Matt's trade to Kansas City, and they said they had no interest in the player."

When we made the trade for Matt that brought us a draft choice, it also gave us the opportunity to sign some players that we think will give us good depth and good quality on our team," Belichick said. "It's all tied in together. I'd say a lot of the talk I've heard about, what would or wouldn't have been done, was A) after the fact, and B) would have been conditional on a lot of other things working out and there is no guarantee that all of that would have come together. The bottom line is that it was never really presented. It was like, 'Maybe, this could happen.' But it was never presented as, 'Here is a firm offer; here's a deal. Do you want to deal?' It never happened that way."

Belichick scoffed at the notion he passed up a potential better deal to help out Scott Pioli, who left the Patriots in January to become the general manager of the Chiefs.

"It's pretty ludicrous," said Belichick. "I have all the respect in the world for Scott and everything that he's done. He's a great friend. He's a terrific executive and personnel manager, but I work for the Patriots. I have no loyalty to anybody or any team other than the New England Patriots. Everything I do is for our team to win and be successful. I can't imagine that anybody would think that's any different."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/03/20/belichick_adds_touch_of_spice/?page=2

maher_tyler
03-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I never felt this thing made sense. I believe the Pats took the best and most realistic deal they got offered. If they felt they could have gotten more, then of course they would have waited a little while at least.

Any deal involving the Broncos got to be involving multiple teams and deals like that are rarely done. This is why I don't believe a deal involving the Broncos really got that serious.

Not according to Jay...

TonyR
03-20-2009, 08:44 AM
McDaniels admitted to Cutler he had interest in Cassel after coaching him the previous three seasons as New England's offensive coordinator. But McDaniels also said his interest never reached a point where he submitted the idea to Bowlen.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11954932

Circle Orange
03-20-2009, 09:34 AM

see, this is what really cracks me up with all this foolishness...CASSEL DID NOT COME TO DENVER, HE IS IN KC.

It is OVER.

Whether who said what doesn't even matter now. How many times do these discussions happen around the NFL without all this coverage? Consider the sources. The NCAA tournament isn't enough fun or something???

USMCBladerunner
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
This confirms my earlier posts that Cassel for Cutler was never an option. Not because of conspiracies, or lying, or reports, but simply because of common sense. If NE could have gotten more for Cassel, they would have. They didn't, and therefore, one can come to the logical conclusion that whatever interest Denver had in Cassel, it wasn't enough to over-bid #34.

The NFL isn't the land of the stupid. That's the realm of message boards (and ESPN).

chawknz
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
So basically due to media, Team Jay ended up causing a meltdown in Broncoland? Great.

Why isn't he gone yet?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Keep in mind that Jay's information - wherever he's getting it from - is that the Broncos shopped him, and were still shopping him:

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said Saturday. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys, but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

Meanwhile, this is what he's hearing from the Broncos when Buzz Cook called them : http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=15826

Face it, Taco...Bellichek has pretty much confirmed McDaniels version of things. Now, Cutler needs to man up, apologize to McDaniels and the organization for his false accusations, and get to work on the season.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Face it, Taco...Bellichek has pretty much confirmed McDaniels version of things. Now, Cutler needs to man up, apologize to McDaniels and the organization for his false accusations, and get to work on the season.

I could give two ****s less about the apology. Just get back to denver and get to work. With the teammates that you play for, and the coaches that you don't.

outdoor_miner
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
"We pretty much had the deal done with Kansas City because there really wasn't any interest," said Belichick. "Some of the teams who said [we could do it] as part of a three-way trade and that kind of thing, I don't want to get into the specifics, but believe me, those teams I personally had contact with 24 to 48 hours before the confirmation of Matt's trade to Kansas City, and they said they had no interest in the player."

When we made the trade for Matt that brought us a draft choice, it also gave us the opportunity to sign some players that we think will give us good depth and good quality on our team," Belichick said. "It's all tied in together. I'd say a lot of the talk I've heard about, what would or wouldn't have been done, was A) after the fact, and B) would have been conditional on a lot of other things working out and there is no guarantee that all of that would have come together. The bottom line is that it was never really presented. It was like, 'Maybe, this could happen.' But it was never presented as, 'Here is a firm offer; here's a deal. Do you want to deal?' It never happened that way."

Belichick scoffed at the notion he passed up a potential better deal to help out Scott Pioli, who left the Patriots in January to become the general manager of the Chiefs.

"It's pretty ludicrous," said Belichick. "I have all the respect in the world for Scott and everything that he's done. He's a great friend. He's a terrific executive and personnel manager, but I work for the Patriots. I have no loyalty to anybody or any team other than the New England Patriots. Everything I do is for our team to win and be successful. I can't imagine that anybody would think that's any different."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/03/20/belichick_adds_touch_of_spice/?page=2

Seriously - why aren't more people on here talking about this article??? This is the best source of information that we've had yet, and a direct quote from a non-anonymous third-part source confirms that the Broncos were not seriously interested in trading for Cassel. So, unless you think McDaniels and Xanders are totally and completely incompetent and that they were unable to contact New England with the message that they wanted to trade for Matt Cassel, this should put to bed any notion that the Broncos actually attempted to make a deal... How can anyone ignore this quote?

"Some of the teams who said [we could do it] as part of a three-way trade and that kind of thing, I don't want to get into the specifics, but believe me, those teams I personally had contact with 24 to 48 hours before the confirmation of Matt's trade to Kansas City, and they said they had no interest in the player."

I do not understand how anyone (well - anyone not acting like a child making up words like "Cheatriots" and "McDouche" - those people are pretty much helpless) can claim that the Broncos ever made a serious run at . Are there now any valid sources that dispute the Broncos version of events (ie. an offer was made, the Broncos considered it because of McDaniels history with Cassel, but ultimately declined the offer)?

This really puts Jay's position on shaky ground for me. I've tried not to take sides in this battle, but it really is starting to look like his "feelings were hurt" because the Broncos listened to an offer. Then, they would not reassure him that they will never again listen to offers to improve the team, so he has demanded a trade. This sure sounds like a situation where Jay is listening to someone feeding him bad information. It also clearly shows McDaniels and Xanders inexperience by letting it get to this point, but that's a whole other story...

TonyR
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Seriously - why aren't more people on here talking about this article??? This is the best source of information that we've had yet...

Because it was posted by me and not one of the veteran, tenured posters who are presumed to know more, and know better, than the rest of us mere mortals. And because a lot of people have they heads lodged tightly in their backsides...

outdoor_miner
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Because it was posted by me and not one of the veteran, tenured posters who are presumed to know more, and know better, than the rest of us mere mortals. And because a lot of people have they heads lodged tightly in their backsides...

Well, to me you are one of the veteran, tenured posters. :) At least, I recognize your name. Now get back out there and win one for the gipper (slaps you encouragingly on your buttock)...

Taco John
03-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Seriously - why aren't more people on here talking about this article???

Because it doesn't really mean anything, especially in the context of McDaniels "we were late to the game" quote. And at the end of the day, we still have a quarterback who is disgruntled, and a meeting opportunity to clear this all up that apparently failed.

Does it really matter what Belichick has to say about this issue?

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Because it doesn't really mean anything, especially in the context of McDaniels "we were late to the game" quote. And at the end of the day, we still have a quarterback who is disgruntled, and a meeting opportunity to clear this all up that apparently failed.

Doesn't mean anything? It freakin' confirms McDaniels version of the story! Meaning he didn't lie about anything. Yeah, it's pretty big. But I'm sure you will try to minimize the fact.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-20-2009, 01:26 PM

It does if you open your eyes.

Belichick's statement on the matter pokes holes in the theories that a lot of pro-jay/anti-McD posters have used as the crux of their arguments, including:

1. That McDaniels was set on trading for Cutler before the Free Agency period even started. And I quote: "...those teams I personally had contact with 24 to 48 hours before the confirmation of Matt's trade to Kansas City, and they said they had no interest in the player."

2. That McDaniels had a trade all lined up, but was "late to the dance." God, if I had a nickel for every time that quote was brought up on the Mane... laughable. And I quote again: "I'd say a lot of the talk I've heard about, what would or wouldn't have been done, was A) after the fact, and B) would have been conditional on a lot of other things working out and there is no guarantee that all of that would have come together. The bottom line is that it was never really presented. It was like, 'Maybe, this could happen.' But it was never presented as, 'Here is a firm offer; here's a deal. Do you want to deal?' It never happened that way."

I know, I know... all that damnable logic. Sorry to confuse the issue with facts, gents. :pimp:

BroncoInferno
03-20-2009, 01:38 PM
It does if you open your eyes.

Belichick's statement on the matter pokes holes in the theories that a lot of pro-jay/anti-McD posters have used as the crux of their arguments, including:

1. That McDaniels was set on trading for Cutler before the Free Agency period even started. And I quote: "...those teams I personally had contact with 24 to 48 hours before the confirmation of Matt's trade to Kansas City, and they said they had no interest in the player."

2. That McDaniels had a trade all lined up, but was "late to the dance." God, if I had a nickel for every time that quote was brought up on the Mane... laughable. And I quote again: "I'd say a lot of the talk I've heard about, what would or wouldn't have been done, was A) after the fact, and B) would have been conditional on a lot of other things working out and there is no guarantee that all of that would have come together. The bottom line is that it was never really presented. It was like, 'Maybe, this could happen.' But it was never presented as, 'Here is a firm offer; here's a deal. Do you want to deal?' It never happened that way."

I know, I know... all that damnable logic. Sorry to confuse the issue with facts, gents. :pimp:

Yep. This pretty much confirms McDaniels version of events, proving he didn't lie about anything. But Taco and his cohorts will, of course, try to minimize this fact because it proves that they were wrong.

Drek
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM

It does when people still throw around conjecture about McDaniels trying to trade Cutler for Cassel straight up or at a cost to the Broncos. Or people insisting that its all but fact that McDaniels was actively shopping Cutler.

Does it make the current problem go away? No, but it sheds a lot of light on the completely irrational hate so many are aiming at McDaniels when all the guy did was explore an option to make the team better, before quickly deciding that he didn't like it.

outdoor_miner
03-20-2009, 02:05 PM

1. Regarding McDaniels "late to the game" quote - What does that quote even mean? There are so many ways to interpret it. Were they approached at the last minute by Detroit and Tampa Bay, so they didn't have the time to even really consider it? That scenario fits right in-line with this quote from the Denver Post:

"We were contacted multiple times about different scenarios," McDaniels said. "Some of the scenarios we discussed, and we did take part in those conversations. Nothing ever got to the point where we were going to be active on anything. We never went to Mr. (Pat) Bowlen with any scenario that was presented. And nothing ever happened.

"Obviously, the trade went through with another team. We moved on. I'm not sure if that's where all the discontent stems from or not. I'm sure most of it does."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11919325

The "late to the game" quote by no means indicates the Broncos had this master plan to trade Jay Cutler all along, which is what many many people here have been saying. If you combine that quote with every single on-the-record quote that is attributable to a non-anonymous source, the Broncos have not ever changed their story on how this went down.

2. The Belicheck quote may not matter to you because that has never been your angle on this, and I wasn't asking why Taco John was ignoring it. You have been focused on the fallout ever since this blew up. However, it does matter because so many other people have been insisting that the Broncos have lied and were actively trying to shop Jay. It is the basis of many people's arguments for siding with Jay. "McDaniels lied... He was actively shopping Cutler at the combine!" etc etc etc. However, we are getting more and more evidence that the Broncos are telling the truth.

What that means to me is that I can hold out some hope that this situation can be resolved. That Bus Cook may, in fact, be driving this mess... and that if the Broncos side of the story is true and they haven't lied to Jay, maybe this relationship can be mended if Cook is removed from the equation. If the Broncos really have been bald-face lying to Jay, there is probably nothing that can be done to salvage it. However, if the Broncos have been telling the truth, I have hope. I have zero, zilch, nada desire to get draft picks or some non-franchise quarterback like Brady Quinn from this saga.

Cassel is the only person that made sense, and that was because he knows the system inside and out, and would have had no learning curve. If we could have gotten Cassel, and a couple other first round picks, that deal may have ultimately been good for the Broncos. Anyone else would be a downgrade from Jay and mean that the Broncos will be worse next year (and in the foreseeable future) than they would have been with Jay. Which is the last thing in the world I want as a Bronco fan after being disappointed for 3 straight seasons. I just want the Broncos to be good.

TonyR
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
...especially in the context of McDaniels "we were late to the game" quote.

He actually said:
"I think we were too late to the dance...''

I don't understand why so many are clinging to this comment McD made. It can be interpreted in so many different ways. And Peter King's comments surrounding this quote don't jive with the rest of what Josh McDaniels is quoted to have told King and what he's said elsewhere. Like some of the dopes at ESPN King helped create this mess with some bad writing and reporting. Here are some of McD's quotes to King in the same article:

"I would probably be really good for Jay, and I know he would be really good for me,'' McDaniels told me over the phone from Denver. "I think that's the part that's shocking to me.''

McDaniels said he was not considering trading Cutler until he was contacted "by two teams'' at the Scouting Combine -- presumably Detroit and Tampa. They were pie-in-the-sky inquiries, though, and he didn't consider anything seriously, he said, until the day before the Feb. 27 beginning of free-agency, when he got a serious proposal for Cutler.

"This was a non-issue until Thursday [Feb. 26],'' McDaniels said. "There was obviously a scenario where teams figured we'd be interested in Matt Cassel, because I'd coached him in New England. When someone calls, I'm going to consider it, because that's my job.''

Cutler believes the Broncos were much more interested in trading him and signing Cassel than they've said. I asked McDaniels if he'd been interested in Cassel before the contact by the two teams at the combine, going back to when he knew Cassel might be on the market and available in trade from the Patriots. "No, that's totally untrue,'' he said.

"Do I understand about Jay being hurt that we'd consider this?'' McDaniels said. "Sure. But I can tell you that it wasn't like there was any grand plan by us to trade Jay Cutler. That wasn't the case. But when we've told them [Cutler and Cook], I think it's fallen on deaf ears.''

I texted McDaniels, and shortly before 1 a.m. Eastern on Monday, he called to react to Cutler's words.

"Oh boy,'' he said, and sighed. "No, no, no. Nothing like that was conveyed.'' And he sighed again.

"I think the hangup is, 'Well, you considered doing it once, would you ever consider it again?' It keeps coming out like I want my own guy. Thinking we want to trade him now is totally opposite what we've been trying to do here ... We've been trying like hell for two weeks to get a face-to-face meeting.''

What frustrates McDaniels is that the two sides met -- he thinks without acrimony -- and then word gets out that there was tension or vindictiveness in the meeting. "It's hard to believe we're sharing the same intentions and can have such different interpretations of the meeting,'' he said. "When we met [Saturday], my point was, 'We all know where this was, and now we all have to try to move forward.' After we met for a while, and went over a lot of the same ground we'd been over, Jay said to me, 'Can I have a few more hours to think?' I said, 'Yeah, give me a call on my cell phone.' He never called. Bus [Cook] called Brian [Xanders], but Jay didn't call me.''

I asked McDaniels if he feels he'll be forced to trade Cutler.

"No,'' he said. "He's got three years left on his contract. We're not at the point where we're going to do it now ... [But] it's probably something we're going to have to talk about. We've been trying to communicate, and I still want to try, but if that's the direction we're headed, we're going to have to talk.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/15/union/index.html

Here are some other quotes from McDaniels:

"We were contacted multiple times about different scenarios," McDaniels said. "Some of the scenarios we discussed, and we did take part in those conversations. Nothing ever got to the point where we were going to be active on anything. We never went to Mr. (Pat) Bowlen with any scenario that was presented. And nothing ever happened.

"Obviously, the trade went through with another team. We moved on."