PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have private workouts with multiple players

HEAV
03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
NFL.com reports the Denver Broncos held a private workout with West Virginia QB Pat White Wednesday, March 18, according to league sources.

Popps
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
http://blogs.timesunion.com/mcguire/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-lombardi-trophy.jpg

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
AWESOME!!! Even with Cutler I'd like to see us take a chance on Pat White... though I wouldn't do it earlier than the 3rd round.

Pseudofool
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Can someone point me too a reputable scouting report or give me their take of this guy?

worm
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Josh has now held more private draft workouts than in the entire tenure of Shanahan.

FADERPROOF
03-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Josh has now held more private draft workouts than in the entire tenure of Shanahan.

And I'll take the Patriots drafts over the Broncos drafts.

worm
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Except for the last few years...I would agree with you.

telluride
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Love that guy.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Strengths:
Outstanding athleticism...Good speed and quickness with a burst...Elusive open field runner with great vision who is difficult to tackle...Versatile and can be a weapon on trick plays...Very productive...Has a pretty high football IQ...Also has some potential as a return man...A proven winner and team leader with solid intangibles.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the size, arm strength or accuracy that you look for in an NFL signal caller and will most likely have to make a position change...Is he open to a move???...Has a slight frame...Durability is a big concern...Has had some issues with ball security...Extremely raw as a route runner and pass catcher...Limited experience in a pro-style offensive system... Will he be tempted to pursue a pro baseball career?

Notes:
Prolific college quarterback who is being looked at as a wideout prospect by most teams...Was a four-year starter...Two-time Big East Offensive Player of the Year...Put his name all over the Mountaineers record book and is the NCAA's all-time leading rusher for a quarterback...Was selected by the Angels in the Major League baseball draft twice (4th round in 2004 / 27th round in 2007)...Had scholarship offers from SEC programs out of high school but chose West Virginia because he wanted an opportunity to play quarterback...Missed time with a number of minor injuries throughout his college career...May attempt to follow in the footsteps of guys like Antwaan Randle El, Josh Cribbs, Brad Smith and Isaiah Stanback as college signal callers who made the successful transition to wideout in the pros...A long-term project who will require considerable development and patience...A great college player but not much of a quarterback prospect...Could be in for a Draft Day freefall if he is unwilling to play another position and insists on staying under center.

cabronco
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Love that guy.

Ya me too. He's got a great attitude. Scouts say he probably wont make it as a Qb, but watching the combine drills, he was more accurate than any other qb out there. He looks to be a good athlete.

broncofan
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd rather have Adrian McPherson.

OBF1
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
A "source" of mine said he can play a mean free saftey too

socalorado
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM

OOOH!

worm
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Damn. Even CBF has "sources".

I really need to find one like most of the posters here at the Mane so I too can be plugged into what is going on at Dove Valley, the NFL at large, and humanity in general.

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
FYI...he worked out for the Broncos and Pats as a WR

colonelbeef
03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Actually the pats last 3 or 4 drafts have been borderline to complete busts.

Shanahan destroyed the Pats and everyone with the past 3

UberBroncoMan
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Pat White can even cook an amazing omelette... he can do everything!

UberBroncoMan
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM

I'd be more inclined to say 2006 and 2008... but we did get Ryan Harris in 2007. If Moss and Crowder showed up in the 3-4 then we could say that.

bombay
03-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Pat White isn't an NFL quarterback. Good athlete, not much of an arm, and not very accurate. He could probably help somewhere on the field, but he shouldn't be a high pick.

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM

The Pats draft Problems are similar to some of ours early in the Shanahan tenure. There are just not that many holes to fill. They have been trying to win the SB every year the past few. I doubt they want to Gamble on that 4th round project vs a known quantity for back up positions. And yes it will bite them on the Butt in a couple of years but that is the NFL.

Pontius Pirate
03-19-2009, 01:28 PM
I say draft every QB possible and then have them cage fight.

Kaylore
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
White is a work horse who likes to play football and will do what he's told. I like the guys they're looking at.

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
White works out for Patriots, Broncos at WR

Former West Virginia QB Pat White is proving to be one of the most intruiging prospects in the draft. Is he projected as a quarterback, or receiver? What about both? Based on those evaluations, how long will he last in the draft?

The intrigue continues.

White worked out with the New England Patriots on Wednesday, spending the majority of the workout on wide receiver drills, and worked out with the Denver Broncos on Wednesday, according to league sources.

As NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche wrote last week, White drew 25 NFL teams to West Virginia’s pro day workout. White said he would run pass routes and go through receiver drills upon request, but no teams requested. Now it looks like teams were waiting for their own priviate individual workouts to see White in other capacities.

White has been on the record as saying he prefers to remain at quarterback, but estimated that only two of 32 teams are giving him serious consideration as a signal-caller. It’s a good bet White — who is not refusing to switch positions — had a clear understanding of who those two teams are. In an NFL.com live chat with White two weeks ago, he said if there was one team he was hoping would take him, it was the Pittsburgh Steelers.

While it’s a popular consensus White belongs in the NFL, exactly at what position — and where he’ll be picked at — is what the talent evaluators will have to figure out. One, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock, has White rated as the fifth-best QB available in the draft.

“I think, especially at the Senior Bowl and Combine, he really impressed people with how well the threw the football,” NFL Network host Paul Burmeister said during a recent live chat. “He has a natural rhythm, nice touch, and better velocity and arm strength than people gave him credit for at West Virginia. Having said that, there are some legit concerns with him being a full-time QB — he is under six feet and less than 200 pounds. There are no starting QBs in the NFL at that height and weight.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/18/white-works-out-for-patriots-broncos/

Man-Goblin
03-19-2009, 01:46 PM
White is a work horse who likes to play football and will do what he's told. I like the guys they're looking at.

I'm not sure if it's been posted or not, but Laurinaitis said in an interview today that he worked out for the Broncos on Monday. He seems like a good guy, at least.

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 01:57 PM

Seriously??? Why?

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Pat White isn't an NFL quarterback. Good athlete, not much of an arm, and not very accurate. He could probably help somewhere on the field, but he shouldn't be a high pick.

Another guy that listens too much to wannabe scouts. Pat White is actually a very accurate QB. He hasn't thrown the ball as much as most people would like and ran a gimmicky offense. He has more than adequate arm strength and is a proven winner.

He has the upside of a Rod Smith/Hines Ward type. I think he'll be a late 2nd to mid 3rd round selection.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Broncos | Wells works out

Carlos Holmes, of the Dayton Daily News, reports the Denver Broncos held a private workout with Ohio State RB Chris Wells Tuesday, March 17, according to a source.

Broncos_OTM
03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
i have heard we have worked out every back that is supposed to be choosen high as well. which makes me think if they dont like who is available on D would it upset you with a RB as the choice?

bronco militia
03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
the thread title is kinky

cutthemdown
03-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure if it's been posted or not, but Laurinaitis said in an interview today that he worked out for the Broncos on Monday. He seems like a good guy, at least.

He's also a great player with almost perfect technique as far as tackling and angles go. He's not the most athletic but very steady. He's one of the those make the plays I should make sort of linebackers.

barryr
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
White won't make it as a QB in the NFL, but could be a good WR though and occasionally come in at QB and run something there.

BroncoMan4ever
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Ya me too. He's got a great attitude. Scouts say he probably wont make it as a Qb, but watching the combine drills, he was more accurate than any other qb out there. He looks to be a good athlete.

good athlete, plus if McDaniels is smart as he thinks he can find wrinkles in the playbook where White would actually be able to throw the ball. a lot of trick plays can open up with him

Man-Goblin
03-19-2009, 06:23 PM
He's also a great player with almost perfect technique as far as tackling and angles go. He's not the most athletic but very steady. He's one of the those make the plays I should make sort of linebackers.

Apparently, the knock on him is he has some trouble getting off blocks. But he is excellent in coverage, zone and man.

It doesn't seem like, at the moment, the Broncos are in position to draft him. But they could end up there, I guess.

I'm not really sure where he would fit in the 3-4. Sounds like DJ's spot.

NYBronco
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I hope all these new and future Broncos are clearly informed they can be traded at any time.

ZONA
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Who ever it was that said they would draft him in the 3rd, you should be shot (not to death or hurt very badly, just something where the pain level was intense but the wound would heal very quickly). Maybe a nice grazing flesh wound would suffice.

This team is drafting defense with their first 4 picks - thank you very much.

watermock
03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Who really knows at this point?

We shouldn't be looking at anything other than defense and 1 potential RB.

This kid could be the next Hines Ward, or the next Adrian Madise.

razorwire77
03-19-2009, 11:08 PM
i have heard we have worked out every back that is supposed to be choosen high as well. which makes me think if they dont like who is available on D would it upset you with a RB as the choice?

If Denver trades Jay and gets a low first rounder, or a high second as part of the deal I can see them taking an RB that slips. Wells seems like he would fit McD's system really well.

cutthemdown
03-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Apparently, the knock on him is he has some trouble getting off blocks. But he is excellent in coverage, zone and man.

It doesn't seem like, at the moment, the Broncos are in position to draft him. But they could end up there, I guess.

I'm not really sure where he would fit in the 3-4. Sounds like DJ's spot.

I guess they (scouts) think he hasn't lifted enough in his upper body. He may have to get stronger before he can shed blocks better.

Los Broncos
03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Doesn't sound private to me.