PDA

View Full Version : For reference:

lex
03-19-2009, 10:40 AM
http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/pat-bowlen-press-conference-transcript/

Pat Bowlen Press Conference Transcript
Posted Wed Dec 31st by Kyle
Opening statement

“As everybody in the room is aware, I decided to make an historic change within this organization. I have terminated Mike Shanahan as head coach, and I wish him very well as he goes forward. I’m sure he will end up in another organization and will be great for that organization as he has been to the Denver Broncos’ organization. Mike coached for me for 21 years. Seven of those (years) were as an assistant, 14 of those (years) as a head coach. He has participated in five Super Bowls, and under Mike’s leadership we have won two. So obviously, he has Hall of Fame credentials and I hope I can replace him with somebody that can be on the same level that Mike was. That’s obviously very hard to do. I’ve decided to make this change for a number of reasons. I will take questions for that particular topic, but I will say this, that I think it was time for our organization to move on and for Mike to move on. I have no regrets for making that decision. I have a great deal of respect for Mike, and I will support him as much as I can in anything that he wants to do in the future.”

On if there was a specific moment when he knew he had to make a change at head coach

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Obviously, this season didn’t go as well as I hoped it would go. I’m not laying the blame on the coach or that he didn’t get it done or it was not the team that it should’ve been. That’s not the primary reason that I am here today. It was one of the reasons that I decided to make the change.”

On his top reasons for the decision

“I think that at this point in time, after 14 years as head coach, it was time to go a different direction. I think that Mike still wants to coach, and I think he will probably be more comfortable coaching in a different organization. It’s a good decision for the both of us.”

On whether the change was due to Shanahan’s coaching or evaluating talent

“I don’t think it had anything to do with either. I think it was just time. It was just the time to do this. Unfortunately, I’ve never been a believer that there is a coach for life. I had to fire other coaches before, and this is the third one. They’ve gone on to successful careers with other organizations. That’s just the part of our business.”

On if his decision would have been different if Denver made the playoffs this season

“I don’t want to speculate about that. We didn’t make the playoffs, and I don’t know whether my decision would’ve been the same or not.”

On if he asked Shanahan to make any changes on his coaching staff before he decided to make the change at head coach

“No, I did not. I’ve always let Mike pick his own staff and his own coaches. I think he’s done a great job in that area. I don’t think that I am qualified to evaluate whether a defensive coordinator or a quarterbacks coach is the right guy. That’s not my job. That’s the coach’s job, and I think he did a good job.”

On what changed in his relationship with Shanahan during the 2008 season

“Nothing has changed. Mike and I have always had a close relationship. Obviously, it’s going to be a little strained at this point, but I think as we go down the road we will continue to respect and appreciate each other. I think we will continue to be friends.”

On why the working relationship between Bowlen and Shanahan is no longer effective

“I just felt that it was time for change. Twenty-one years of being at one organization and 14 years as head coach is about long enough. I think we would want go at a different direction.”

On if there were any conditions that would have kept Shanahan with the organization

“No, I don’t think that there were any conditions that would’ve kept Mike here. I think I have made that decision on my own. I feel it was time for us to go a different direction. It wasn’t that if he would do this or he would do that or do something else. Mike was doing a good job. He spent a lot of time with us and I wanted to move on.”

On Shanahan handling head coach and general manager responsibilities

“I felt that Mike was doing both of those jobs fairly well. I don’t anticipate that the next head coach will have both of those jobs. Ultimately, it will end up on my desk. I’m here every day and I make the decisions. I run the show.”

On if he will look for a general manager before hiring a head coach

“I haven’t thought about it.”

On when the subject of making a coaching change came up between Bowlen and Shanahan

“Yesterday was the first time it ever came up.”

On how the conversation between Bowlen and Shanahan went

“It went very well. As well as a conversation of that nature could go. I don’t think that there was any animosity involved. Mike and I talked about it. I think he was shocked and surprised. I didn’t feel that there were a lot of negative vibes in the room. I think he knows how I feel about him and hope he feels the same way about me. I think he understands why I made the decision.”

On if the loss to San Diego had any influence in the coaching change

“No, obviously we didn’t have a good season. This is not because of one loss or one season. This is because I think it was time to make a change.”

On what he has to say to the fans

“We are going to try to get a great coach to come in here. I think we’ve got great personnel and staff that are upstairs that do a terrific job. I think this job in Denver is a very attractive one. I think we will get a great coach.”

On if he started the coaching search

“No.”

On if he has any regrets about mentioning that Shanahan will be head coach for life

“Well, I’ve said that. But I don’t have any regrets about saying it. I guess nothing is forever.”

On if he has a timetable for his next hire

“Yeah, I would like to have it done as soon as I can.”

On how long he thought about making a change at the head coaching position

“I don’t think it’s been a long time since I’ve been pondering. At some point in time, you will make a decision in your own mind. I haven’t been thinking about this all season long, if I was going to keep Mike or let him go. That has not been processing. I think that as we got through the last game and I looked back at the season, I looked back at our relationship and I looked back at a lot of things. I have no doubt in my mind that Mike can go out and get another job with another organization and be very successful.”

On whether or not Shanahan had “too much on his plate”

“I think Mike did a great job. I don’t think he had too much on his plate. I wouldn’t propose that the next coach have that much responsibility because I’m not sure that he would be able to handle it.”

On the most difficult part of making the decision

“I guess the emotion, the friendship. You know, when you are with somebody for 21 years and you have to let them go, it’s a tough decision.”

On if he dreaded informing Shanahan of his decision

“I don’t think I was dreading it. I have to make some decisions in this organization that I don’t like, and that was probably at the top of the list. But those are decisions you have to make when you run an organization.”

On whether or not he has a short list of coaches as potential replacements

“I haven’t thought about it. I haven’t given any consideration whatsoever to who is going to be the next head coach. That process has not started.”

On whether he has a role available for John Elway

“John Elway has lots of things to do and he’s got a business life of his own and he is a very busy man, involved with the (Arena Football League) Crush. I haven’t talked to John, and I don’t have any idea if he has any interest.”

On how close he thinks the Broncos are to being a Super Bowl team

“We’re not in the playoffs, so we are a long way away. But that could change in a hurry.”

On if this is the most difficult thing he has had to do in his career

“Probably. In 25 years, this is probably as tough as it gets.”

On what “going in a different direction” means

“I can’t explain that to you guys. I’m an owner, that’s what I do, I’m here everyday, it’s my job. I have to operate on my instincts, and so it is very hard for me to explain to anybody in this room why my instincts are the way that they are and I may end up regretting this decision. But right now, I am very comfortable with this decision that we’ve got to go in a different direction. I feel very comfortable with the idea that Mike will get another job, in another organization and do well, if not great, at it.”

On how Shanahan’s contract affects the organization

“That’s my business.”

On what he is looking for in a new head coach

“I want somebody to come in here and win a Super Bowl. That is my No. 1 goal. With good coaches and good players, and good personnel, that is what our goal is every year. So I hope I can pick the right coach, personnel people and right players and we can go on and win the next Super Bowl.”

On whether he will keep coaches and personnel staff regardless of head coach decision

“I don’t anticipate that we will be keeping any members of the coaching staff. Nothing will change in the personnel department.”

[LATER CLARIFIED: ALL COACHES WILL BE EVALUATED INDIVIDUALLY, AND THOSE DECISIONS WILL BE MADE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE ORGANIZATION]

On whether he has talked with any of the players and gotten their reactions

“I talked to (QB) Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didn’t get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didn’t sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and I’m sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay.”

On the stability of Vice President of Football Operations/Player Personnel Jim Goodman

“Jim Goodman has his job, and he will have his job.”

On if he will be looking for a new general manager

“We haven’t gotten to that point yet.”

On what the process is for picking a new head coach

“I don’t think I would consider myself smart enough to do it all myself. I think there is a lot of talent in this building that can help me out, and I will rely on the advice of certain people in this building that I have respect for and we will hopefully get a great new head coach. By the way, this job here, (Denver Broncos head coach) and I don’t say this in any braggadocios fashion at all, is a very highly thought of job and I expect that it will get a very good head coach. ”

On considering a college coach

“I’ll consider the whole panacea of coaches.”

On what winning means to business

“As far as the business of football, winning is everything. It doesn’t matter what it is worth. If you are worried about what it is worth, get in some other business.”

On what the most disappointing moment was for him during the 2008 season

“Probably being here today. I had a great relationship with Mike. We were together for 21 years. This is a very difficult day for me.”

On how much direct contact he will have in selecting new head coach

“I will depend on my staff a great deal, but ultimately I will make the decision.”

On if he thinks he and Mike will continue to have a relationship

“I think we will have a relationship for life. You don’t do the things we’ve done together and then move on and forget about it. That’s not the way this business works. I know Mike is very disappointed. I know I am disappointed that I had to make this decision, but Mike will go on. He is going to be very successful and I will be happy for him as long as he is not beating us and I think the relationship will be, as we go forward, very strong.”

On how Shanahan took the news

“Mike and I understand each other, and it wasn’t a confrontational conversation. It was a conversation where I told him that I’ve got to move on, and it was fully understood and left at that.”

On how he would react if Shanahan got a job within the AFC West

“I wouldn’t be too happy if it was Kansas City. But Mike will have a lot of opportunities to go to different teams. If I am consulted by one of those teams, I will give him the highest marks I can.”

On what kind of qualities he is looking for in a new head coach

“I want him to be a 10 in every area.”

On what he was thinking about last night

“I was thinking about this press conference this morning and all the tough questions I was going to get. This is a process that starts today. Yesterday, I had to terminate my head coach and it was a very difficult day. Today, we start the process of selecting a new head coach and I’m not sure how long that will take and I’m not sure who the candidates are at this particular time but we will get a good head coach.”

I thought we would all benefit from having this posted in its own thread. A lot has happened since this press conference that has left us thinking back to things we remember hearing around this time. Ive taken the liberty of highlighting some quotes that are interesting in retrospect.

lex
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
http://broncotalk.net/2008/12/pat-bowlen-press-conference-transcript/

Pat Bowlen Press Conference Transcript
Posted Wed Dec 31st by Kyle
Opening statement

“As everybody in the room is aware, I decided to make an historic change within this organization. I have terminated Mike Shanahan as head coach, and I wish him very well as he goes forward. I’m sure he will end up in another organization and will be great for that organization as he has been to the Denver Broncos’ organization. Mike coached for me for 21 years. Seven of those (years) were as an assistant, 14 of those (years) as a head coach. He has participated in five Super Bowls, and under Mike’s leadership we have won two. So obviously, he has Hall of Fame credentials and I hope I can replace him with somebody that can be on the same level that Mike was. That’s obviously very hard to do. I’ve decided to make this change for a number of reasons. I will take questions for that particular topic, but I will say this, that I think it was time for our organization to move on and for Mike to move on. I have no regrets for making that decision. I have a great deal of respect for Mike, and I will support him as much as I can in anything that he wants to do in the future.”

On if there was a specific moment when he knew he had to make a change at head coach

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Obviously, this season didn’t go as well as I hoped it would go. I’m not laying the blame on the coach or that he didn’t get it done or it was not the team that it should’ve been. That’s not the primary reason that I am here today. It was one of the reasons that I decided to make the change.”

On his top reasons for the decision

“I think that at this point in time, after 14 years as head coach, it was time to go a different direction. I think that Mike still wants to coach, and I think he will probably be more comfortable coaching in a different organization. It’s a good decision for the both of us.”

On whether the change was due to Shanahan’s coaching or evaluating talent

“I don’t think it had anything to do with either. I think it was just time. It was just the time to do this. Unfortunately, I’ve never been a believer that there is a coach for life. I had to fire other coaches before, and this is the third one. They’ve gone on to successful careers with other organizations. That’s just the part of our business.”

On if his decision would have been different if Denver made the playoffs this season

“I don’t want to speculate about that. We didn’t make the playoffs, and I don’t know whether my decision would’ve been the same or not.”

On if he asked Shanahan to make any changes on his coaching staff before he decided to make the change at head coach

“No, I did not. I’ve always let Mike pick his own staff and his own coaches. I think he’s done a great job in that area. I don’t think that I am qualified to evaluate whether a defensive coordinator or a quarterbacks coach is the right guy. That’s not my job. That’s the coach’s job, and I think he did a good job.”

On what changed in his relationship with Shanahan during the 2008 season

“Nothing has changed. Mike and I have always had a close relationship. Obviously, it’s going to be a little strained at this point, but I think as we go down the road we will continue to respect and appreciate each other. I think we will continue to be friends.”

On why the working relationship between Bowlen and Shanahan is no longer effective

“I just felt that it was time for change. Twenty-one years of being at one organization and 14 years as head coach is about long enough. I think we would want go at a different direction.”

On if there were any conditions that would have kept Shanahan with the organization

“No, I don’t think that there were any conditions that would’ve kept Mike here. I think I have made that decision on my own. I feel it was time for us to go a different direction. It wasn’t that if he would do this or he would do that or do something else. Mike was doing a good job. He spent a lot of time with us and I wanted to move on.”

On Shanahan handling head coach and general manager responsibilities

“I felt that Mike was doing both of those jobs fairly well. I don’t anticipate that the next head coach will have both of those jobs. Ultimately, it will end up on my desk. I’m here every day and I make the decisions. I run the show.”

On if he will look for a general manager before hiring a head coach

“I haven’t thought about it.”

On when the subject of making a coaching change came up between Bowlen and Shanahan

“Yesterday was the first time it ever came up.”

On how the conversation between Bowlen and Shanahan went

“It went very well. As well as a conversation of that nature could go. I don’t think that there was any animosity involved. Mike and I talked about it. I think he was shocked and surprised. I didn’t feel that there were a lot of negative vibes in the room. I think he knows how I feel about him and hope he feels the same way about me. I think he understands why I made the decision.”

On if the loss to San Diego had any influence in the coaching change

“No, obviously we didn’t have a good season. This is not because of one loss or one season. This is because I think it was time to make a change.”

On what he has to say to the fans

“We are going to try to get a great coach to come in here. I think we’ve got great personnel and staff that are upstairs that do a terrific job. I think this job in Denver is a very attractive one. I think we will get a great coach.”

On if he started the coaching search

“No.”

On if he has any regrets about mentioning that Shanahan will be head coach for life

“Well, I’ve said that. But I don’t have any regrets about saying it. I guess nothing is forever.”

On if he has a timetable for his next hire

“Yeah, I would like to have it done as soon as I can.”

On how long he thought about making a change at the head coaching position

“I don’t think it’s been a long time since I’ve been pondering. At some point in time, you will make a decision in your own mind. I haven’t been thinking about this all season long, if I was going to keep Mike or let him go. That has not been processing. I think that as we got through the last game and I looked back at the season, I looked back at our relationship and I looked back at a lot of things. I have no doubt in my mind that Mike can go out and get another job with another organization and be very successful.”

On whether or not Shanahan had “too much on his plate”

“I think Mike did a great job. I don’t think he had too much on his plate. I wouldn’t propose that the next coach have that much responsibility because I’m not sure that he would be able to handle it.”

On the most difficult part of making the decision

“I guess the emotion, the friendship. You know, when you are with somebody for 21 years and you have to let them go, it’s a tough decision.”

On if he dreaded informing Shanahan of his decision

“I don’t think I was dreading it. I have to make some decisions in this organization that I don’t like, and that was probably at the top of the list. But those are decisions you have to make when you run an organization.”

On whether or not he has a short list of coaches as potential replacements

“I haven’t thought about it. I haven’t given any consideration whatsoever to who is going to be the next head coach. That process has not started.”

On whether he has a role available for John Elway

“John Elway has lots of things to do and he’s got a business life of his own and he is a very busy man, involved with the (Arena Football League) Crush. I haven’t talked to John, and I don’t have any idea if he has any interest.”

On how close he thinks the Broncos are to being a Super Bowl team

“We’re not in the playoffs, so we are a long way away. But that could change in a hurry.”

On if this is the most difficult thing he has had to do in his career

“Probably. In 25 years, this is probably as tough as it gets.”

On what “going in a different direction” means

“I can’t explain that to you guys. I’m an owner, that’s what I do, I’m here everyday, it’s my job. I have to operate on my instincts, and so it is very hard for me to explain to anybody in this room why my instincts are the way that they are and I may end up regretting this decision. But right now, I am very comfortable with this decision that we’ve got to go in a different direction. I feel very comfortable with the idea that Mike will get another job, in another organization and do well, if not great, at it.”

On how Shanahan’s contract affects the organization

“That’s my business.”

On what he is looking for in a new head coach

“I want somebody to come in here and win a Super Bowl. That is my No. 1 goal. With good coaches and good players, and good personnel, that is what our goal is every year. So I hope I can pick the right coach, personnel people and right players and we can go on and win the next Super Bowl.”

On whether he will keep coaches and personnel staff regardless of head coach decision

“I don’t anticipate that we will be keeping any members of the coaching staff. Nothing will change in the personnel department.”

[LATER CLARIFIED: ALL COACHES WILL BE EVALUATED INDIVIDUALLY, AND THOSE DECISIONS WILL BE MADE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE ORGANIZATION]

On whether he has talked with any of the players and gotten their reactions

“I talked to (QB) Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didn’t get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didn’t sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and I’m sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay.”

On the stability of Vice President of Football Operations/Player Personnel Jim Goodman

“Jim Goodman has his job, and he will have his job.”

On if he will be looking for a new general manager

“We haven’t gotten to that point yet.”

On what the process is for picking a new head coach

“I don’t think I would consider myself smart enough to do it all myself. I think there is a lot of talent in this building that can help me out, and I will rely on the advice of certain people in this building that I have respect for and we will hopefully get a great new head coach. By the way, this job here, (Denver Broncos head coach) and I don’t say this in any braggadocios fashion at all, is a very highly thought of job and I expect that it will get a very good head coach. ”

On considering a college coach

“I’ll consider the whole panacea of coaches.”

On what winning means to business

“As far as the business of football, winning is everything. It doesn’t matter what it is worth. If you are worried about what it is worth, get in some other business.”

On what the most disappointing moment was for him during the 2008 season

“Probably being here today. I had a great relationship with Mike. We were together for 21 years. This is a very difficult day for me.”

On how much direct contact he will have in selecting new head coach

“I will depend on my staff a great deal, but ultimately I will make the decision.”

On if he thinks he and Mike will continue to have a relationship

“I think we will have a relationship for life. You don’t do the things we’ve done together and then move on and forget about it. That’s not the way this business works. I know Mike is very disappointed. I know I am disappointed that I had to make this decision, but Mike will go on. He is going to be very successful and I will be happy for him as long as he is not beating us and I think the relationship will be, as we go forward, very strong.”

On how Shanahan took the news

“Mike and I understand each other, and it wasn’t a confrontational conversation. It was a conversation where I told him that I’ve got to move on, and it was fully understood and left at that.”

On how he would react if Shanahan got a job within the AFC West

“I wouldn’t be too happy if it was Kansas City. But Mike will have a lot of opportunities to go to different teams. If I am consulted by one of those teams, I will give him the highest marks I can.”

On what kind of qualities he is looking for in a new head coach

“I want him to be a 10 in every area.”

On what he was thinking about last night

“I was thinking about this press conference this morning and all the tough questions I was going to get. This is a process that starts today. Yesterday, I had to terminate my head coach and it was a very difficult day. Today, we start the process of selecting a new head coach and I’m not sure how long that will take and I’m not sure who the candidates are at this particular time but we will get a good head coach.”

I thought we would all benefit from having this posted in its own thread. A lot has happened since this press conference that has left us thinking back to things we remember hearing around this time. Ive taken the liberty of highlighting some quotes that are interesting in retrospect.

Spider
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
well Lex it is about high time you tell Bowlen about your degrees , offer to compare them , then tell him how you would run things if you knew what in the hell you would be doing ........

Kaylore
03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
This is a really sad attempt to make Bowlen out to be a liar. Quoting things like the statement on the Goodman's is a joke considering all the factors that came to light.

Rabb
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't mean disrespect to you lex at all, but why does it matter what he said or intended, it doesn't change what is happening?

It only shows that he was being dishonest or he is easily duped...but it doesn't change the status quo one bit.

Again, not meant as a shot at you at all

oubronco
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
well Lex it is about high time you tell Bowlen about your degrees , offer to compare them , then tell him how you would run things if you knew what in the hell you would be doing ........

ROFL! LOL

Smiling Assassin27
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
things change. people change.

unless you're talking about lex and his incessant, hamster wheeling...

Killericon
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Changing your mind =/= Lying.

oubronco
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Deja Vue

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
things change. people change.

unless you're talking about lex and his incessant, hamster wheeling...

But hey, at least he posted it twice.

lex
03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't mean disrespect to you lex at all, but why does it matter what he said or intended, it doesn't change what is happening?

It only shows that he was being dishonest or he is easily duped...but it doesn't change the status quo one bit.

Again, not meant as a shot at you at all

It shows that Pat is full of it. And that all that is going on now, is at his feet. It shows the degree to which he has become a McJerkface yes man.

Dagmar
03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Double the lex! What have we done to deserve this? Killed babies?

lex
03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
This is a really sad attempt to make Bowlen out to be a liar. Quoting things like the statement on the Goodman's is a joke considering all the factors that came to light.

Its not an attempt. Its something Pat has done on his own.

socalorado
03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
It shows that Pat is full of it. And that all that is going on now, is at his feet. It shows the degree to which he has become a McJerkface yes man.

HEY! Its McDooDooStupidhead, em kay?!?!?!?
At least get your cheesed!ck names right!!

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 10:58 AM

What factors that came to light?

I think that's a very illuminating interview, and it shows what a very weak man Pat Bowlen is. He's obviously been overrun by this kid's energy, and has completely reneged on almost all the statements he made there.

There's nothing "sad" about this, Khan ... those are direct quotes, and Pat heinously failed to follow through.

A BIG part of this fiasco can be laid at Pat's feet. Pat is a very weak man.

Spider
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey Lex . lets put your degrees to the test .................
if I own a rooster , and you own a cat , and your cat attacks my rooster and chews booth feet off of my rooster ...... what do we have ?

Rabb
03-19-2009, 11:00 AM

ok, and I agree it shows some dishonesty and inconsistency

I just don't get the campaign...I personally don't ****ing care who did or said what I just want it over

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
There's nothing wrong with what Lex posted...having that interview here does illustrate how much can change in such a short time. While I won't go so far as to call Bowlen a liar (it is possible for circumstances to change; sparking a change of mind), it's a valid debate topic that what Pat says will happen isn't necessarily what really will happen.

lex
03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
ok, and I agree it shows some dishonesty and inconsistency

I just don't get the campaign...I personally don't ****ing care who did or said what I just want it over

When you peel the onion and you get to where people are coming from, it goes back to Pat. Its obvious by this quote that Bowlen made assurances to Cutler that he has renegged on. He also made assurances related to the Goodmans. He also asserted a desire to have a coach be a coach and not a GM. If he would have kept his word on at least some of this, there wouldnt be the problems that exist today.

I dont really see this as Jay vs Josh any longer. Its really more Jay vs Pat. Jay is the only one remaining who Pat renegged on and Jay is holding his feet to the fire. Jay is the only one with the cache to do this and Im glad he is. Pats quotes lately are a joke because they pretend like it has nothing to do with him when it has everything to do with him. McDaniels is a monster that was created by Bowlen. The fact that McDaniels came from New England and all that, arent even relevant when you consider that what happens does so because Pat allows it to happen. And thats Pats own words.

Spider
03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with what Lex posted...having that interview here does illustrate how much can change in such a short time. While I won't go so far as to call Bowlen a liar (it is possible for circumstances to change; sparking a change of mind), it's a valid debate topic that what Pat says will happen isn't necessarily what really will happen.

Maybe so , but I dont like Lex , there is somethign about him that chaps the crack of my ass ..........I will take the opposite position of him just to be an asshole to him ........... ;D

Rohirrim
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I used to work at a company where the Vice President was a loony. He made constantly arbitary decisions and would contradict one decision for another from week to week. I even got into a couple of shout downs with the guy. And every morning I came to work, that friggin "Vice President" sign was still hanging on his door. ???

Mr Chatterboodamn
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
your exercise of liberty is most salient! We've been taken over by robots.

I recall Bowlen saying he was blown away by McDaniel's plan, but it definitely seems like he ceded control to a 32 year old. I love how Josh uses his measured speaking style to tell everyone that it's a TIME TO BE EXCITED right now. Well, given the totality of circumstances, I'd have to say that's a pretty narcissistic and empty point of view. I don't blame him for trying to put a positive spin on the situation, but the guy just has no ethos other than the dwindling reserves from his relatively brief stint as the new england OC.

W/L records don't matter that much to me. I have been a Bronco fan my whole life and I particularly enjoyed watching Elway's career progress. I envisioned a similar arc for Jay, but that's not looking like it's gonna happen. The patriots were not an entertaining team to watch on offense. They run a lot of pick plays and very disgusting subterfuge to move the ball (handheld cameras & awesome receiver eligible LBs at the goal line). I just don't like their offensive aestethic and watching Whelihan/Philcox/Cassel/Simms run the offense will be very boring compared to Jay Cutler. McDaniels is actually the one showing no flexibility in this situation. Why do you apply for and accept the Denver job if you aren't stoked about working with Jay? Our offensive line and skill positions are pretty good, but Cutler was clearly the type of talent that most teams only wish they could obtain at the position.

[BROTIP: you may want to try putting Popps on ignore. I didn't want to do it, but it actually has made the mane a lot less hopelessly irrational. You'll thank me. It's not like he's being truly interactive or saying anything novel/non dogmatic/non inflammatory these days.]

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Factors like what?

Spider
03-19-2009, 11:21 AM

I recall Bowlen saying he was blown away by McDaniel's plan, but it definitely seems like he ceded control to a 32 year old. I love how Josh uses his measured speaking style to tell everyone that it's a TIME TO BE EXCITED right now. Well, given the totality of circumstances, I'd have to say that's a pretty narcissistic and empty point of view. I don't blame him for trying to put a positive spin on the situation, but the guy just has no ethos other than the dwindling reserves from his relatively brief stint as the new england OC.

W/L records don't matter that much to me. I have been a Bronco fan my whole life and I particularly enjoyed watching Elway's career progress. I envisioned a similar arc for Jay, but that's not looking like it's gonna happen. The patriots were not an entertaining team to watch on offense. They run a lot of pick plays and very disgusting subterfuge to move the ball (handheld cameras & awesome receiver eligible LBs at the goal line). I just don't like their offensive aestethic and watching Whelihan/Philcox/Cassel/Simms run the offense will be very boring compared to Jay Cutler. McDaniels is actually the one showing no flexibility in this situation. Why do you apply for and accept the Denver job if you aren't stoked about working with Jay? Our offensive line and skill positions are pretty good, but Cutler was clearly the type of talent that most teams only wish they could obtain at the position.

[BROTIP: you may want to try putting Popps on ignore. I didn't want to do it, but it actually has made the mane a lot less hopelessly irrational. You'll thank me. It's not like he's being truly interactive or saying anything novel/non dogmatic/non inflammatory these days.]

what in the hell is wrong with your chin ? ;D
But good take , I been a fan since .. well before Morton , I have to add Morton was washed up when he came here physically , but he had heart , During SB half time , he couldnt even tie his own shoes cause his ribs were so badly bruised , yet he still played ..... and now we have this saga .....

lex
03-19-2009, 11:21 AM

QFT...you should post more.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Factors like what?

My question exactly ... what factors came to light about Goodman, Khan?
e

frerottenextelway
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
How sad is it that people have problems with posting direct quotes with full context. We would not be in the spot we are now if Pat's actions matched his words.

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Maybe so , but I dont like Lex , there is somethign about him that chaps the crack of my ass ..........I will take the opposite position of him just to be an a-hole to him ........... ;D

Hilarious! ROFL! Ha!

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
How sad is it that people have problems with posting direct quotes with full context. We would not be in the spot we are now if Pat's actions matched his words.

If it were just one or even a couple of things that he said where the reality is diametrically opposed, it might not be such a problem. But not one single solitary thing Pat said in that interview happened, other than the firing of Shanahan.

Popps
03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
So, if I'm understanding this thread correctly... and someone correct me if I'm not, but... it appears that sometimes people in business make statements that don't always pan out to be true?

Is this like when Mike Shanahan told us Kavika Pittman was the answer on the D-line, due to him being a "near-Pro Bowl player?"

Popps
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
If it were just one or even a couple of things that he said where the reality is diametrically opposed, it might not be such a problem. But not one single solitary thing Pat said in that interview happened, other than the firing of Shanahan.

I know, it's a travesty, right?

Hey Blue, if Bowlen would have said he thought moving in a new direction was the way to go, but then kept on Shanahan and Cutler... you'd still be this upset, right?

lostknight
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Wow! Can you actually tell us why the Goodman's were fired?

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Lex I bet you bitch to the wife and kick the dog when the Broncos score a touchdown. I bet there's a permanent dark rain cloud over your head at all times. Come on dude say whatever you want about Bowlen but he's an awesome owner. I realize he's not running to rescue the crying baby but he's hired people to take care of the baby.

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I know, it's a travesty, right?

Hey Blue, if Bowlen would have said he thought moving in a new direction was the way to go, but then kept on Shanahan and Cutler... you'd still be this upset, right?

I think if the boss says someone's going to stay (the Goodmans), then they should stay... the position shouldn't be totally reversed mere weeks later. If the boss says "Cutler's the guy", then "entertaining trade offers" for him shouldn't be an option just weeks later. Pat's looking like a major flip-flopper and if he wasn't sure what he was going to do, he should have said that instead of making firm statements and then following through on none of them.

As to your question re: Shanahan and Cutler... I truly doubt that the team would have become so fubar-ed under Shanahan as it is with McD... that total decimation of the team is what has me apprehensive and pessimistic about next season. It does seem to me that Pat's "losing it" mentally... whether that's due to his age or what, it's very sad to see.

Broncos_OTM
03-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Lex brings up a very valid point.

Bowlen was very adamant about the way he wanted to proceed with things. I wished he had hired polai(sp?) and Mcdaniels or at the very least Spags. We could have had Bates as OC. and the offense wouldnt have changed much. while i am sure we would have seen a tremendous turnaround on D. My only problem is that he didnt hire a Tenured GM to control the rookie head coach. thats all he would have had to have done. let the GM loose.

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
So, if I'm understanding this thread correctly... and someone correct me if I'm not, but... it appears that sometimes people in business make statements that don't always pan out to be true?

Is this like when Mike Shanahan told us Kavika Pittman was the answer on the D-line, due to him being a "near-Pro Bowl player?"

You're right, he has the option to change his mind. He is afterall the owner. Problem I have is that the guy either doesn't remember those conversations or can't keep his lies straight.

He said in that presser that he spoke with Jay Cutler. Then the other day he says that he didn't talk to him, and added, why would I?

DenverBrit
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
A businessman who changed his mind? How unusual.

Up next, Presidents who didn't stick to campaign promises. Ha!

sisterhellfyre
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Doesn't mean one or the other of those choices, actually. It just means that the situation in the front office developed differently in late January thru February from what he expected or imagined in late December.

"The best-laid plans of mice and men... gang aft agley."

Regards,
m.

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 01:13 PM
You're right, he has the option to change his mind. He is afterall the owner. Problem I have is that the guy either doesn't remember those conversations or can't keep his lies straight.

He said in that presser that he spoke with Jay Cutler. Then the other day he says that he didn't talk to him, and added, why would I?

That's what troubles me, too, Oskie... even in the press conference, he didn't sound mentally "sharp" and now claims that he doesn't remember talking to his star player just 3 months ago? Wow. It's just sad.....

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I don’t anticipate that we will be keeping any members of the coaching staff.

Look at me I can bold things too. Now Jay is a Big Poopy Liar.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM

BINGO!

I am SO loving how more and more people are accepting the (apparent) reality that Josh has too much power, and that his total lack of front office experience caused or at least exacerbated this fiasco. I've been posting this theory 'til my fingers ache, I actually wrote a macro for the basic paragraph so I wouldn't have to re-type it every time (:~ohyah!: j/k)

Now, thanks to these full quotes of Pat entirely in context (thx frerotte for your quoted post), we add to this theory the CLEAR reality that Bowlen intended - even promised - that the roles would be split, and the Goodmans retained.

The picture coming out here is that Pat is a very weak man who's been overrrun by this kid's (laudable) enthusiasm and exuberance. Can't fault Josh for pushing the boundaries. I think you gotta fault Bowlen (and the castrated Xanders) for not standing up and reinforcing boundaries.

This is all coming together ... so at least we'll have a historical record ^5

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow! Can you actually tell us why the Goodman's were fired?

THe Son Goodman was a Walking Penis. It was Him or Xanders. He Chose Xanders but with the son going so goes pappa. That is why you don't hire family.

DenverBrit
03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
That's what troubles me, too, Oskie... even in the press conference, he didn't sound mentally "sharp" and now claims that he doesn't remember talking to his star player just 3 months ago? Wow. It's just sad.....

Maybe, just maybe, he's tired, stressed and fed up talking about Jay.

He has a lot at stake and is trying to do the best he can, probably regretting having so much immaturity in his organization.
Or do some here think he has some other agenda? ???

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM

I'll correct you because you are wrong.

They're not simply statements that "didn't pan out," they were multiple promises/plans that were stated, plans Pat has FULL POWER to make good on. Instead, for whatever reason, alcohol, wekness, Josh energy, whatever ... he failed to keep.

Here's the difference:

Bowlen HAD THE POWER to make good on what he said.

Shanahan had NO POWER to make Pittman a better player.

See? ;D

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Here is the Real deal. He said the opposite at the News Conference he said he did not expect to keep any members of the coaching staff. He also said he would let his next coach hire his own staff. This is the exact opposite of what Bus is saying.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Yes ... and remember he was a no-show at the Saturday meeting, and remember the bizarre HOF induction speech for Zimmerman last Summer.

Yes, this is all coming together now ... Pat is a very weak, very compromised man. Alcohol or whatever, it doesn't really matter why. What matters is we lost the best drafting scout in the NFL, and are about to lose a once-in-a-generation quarterbnack because of Pat's weakness.

You can't blame Josh for spreading his wings and pushing boundaries ...

You can - nee, must - blame Bowlen for allowing himself to be trampled by this kid.

The press conference quoted here was a lucid interval for the man ... let's hope there's a few more in the near future. Like maybe BEFORE he trades Jay.

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 01:28 PM

They're not simply statements that "didn't pan out," they were multiple promises/plans that were stated, plans Pat has FULL POWER to make good on. Instead, for whatever reason, alcohol, wekness, Josh energy, whatever ... he failed to keep.

Here's the difference:

See? ;D

Pat still has full power he's just delegated some authority commesurate to the coaching responsibility to build our team. Hard for some to believe but maybe Josh evaluated Cutler's talent and decided Cutler wasn't his guy and didn't have what he needed to successfully implement his game plan week to week. Maybe he wants consistent QB play instead of the high flying good game/bad game crap Cutler gives us. The guys offense kicked the crap out of Shanahan, Bates and Cutler last year on national television, maybe you guys need to think he might have a method behind his madness, irregardless if some of you approve at this point.

Spider
03-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Lex I bet you b**** to the wife and kick the dog when the Broncos score a touchdown. I bet there's a permanent dark rain cloud over your head at all times. Come on dude say whatever you want about Bowlen but he's an awesome owner. I realize he's not running to rescue the crying baby but he's hired people to take care of the baby.

:thumbs: one of the few things you will ever post that I agree with ..Just thought I should make a note of it ;D

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
:thumbs: one of the few things you will ever post that I agree with ..Just thought I should make a note of it ;D

Our world view of Lex is one of the few topics we have in common. Hilarious!

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I Am Bronco Buff and Only hear what I want.

I think BroncoBuff has me on Ignore. (Which would be pretty sweet because I didn't think I posted enough to be ignored) He keeps avoiding all of my rebuttals.

broncofan7
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey Lex . lets put your degrees to the test .................
if I own a rooster , and you own a cat , and your cat attacks my rooster and chews booth feet off of my rooster ...... what do we have ?

To most of us it's a rooster who can't run, or as you know it, A HOT DATE! Ha!

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Maybe, just maybe, he's tired, stressed and fed up talking about Jay.

He has a lot at stake and is trying to do the best he can, probably regretting having so much immaturity in his organization.
Or do some here think he has some other agenda? ???

But he really hasn't been talking about Jay... not until just a few days ago. In fact, that's one of the most prevalent questions I've seen from Broncos fans throughout this whole sorry spectacle: "Where in the Hell is Pat?" Followed by "Why isn't he doing something about this?"

I don't think Pat has some nefarious agenda... in fact he stands to be the biggest loser of all ($$-wise) if the McD house of cards implodes as I really expect it to. Especially if the team does end up trading Cutler, the fanbase will expect at least 8 wins and with the schedule they're facing, that's a very tall order, indeed.

Actually, I'm kinda worried that Pat is ill...

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't think Pat likes Cutler on a personal level. Krieger mentioned that he went Apoplectic (I love that word) when Cutler did not return his calls. And then for Cutler to say "I was right down the Hall he could have come over to talk to me." Well that just shows that Cutler does not understand how the world works.

Also It is clear that Cutler never got any assurances as to the Offensive staff staying the same. Bowlen said in his presser that "He did not anticipate keeping any coaches."

broncofan7
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
But he really hasn't been talking about Jay... not until just a few days ago. In fact, that's one of the most prevalent questions I've seen from Broncos fans throughout this whole sorry spectacle: "Where in the Hell is Pat?" Followed by "Why isn't he doing something about this?"

I don't think Pat has some nefarious agenda... in fact he stands to be the biggest loser of all ($$-wise) if the McD house of cards implodes as I really expect it to. Especially if the team does end up trading Cutler, the fanbase will expect at least 8 wins and with the schedule they're facing, that's a very tall order, indeed.

I agree. Anyone know who the heir is?

Blueflame
03-19-2009, 02:20 PM

I'd guess his wife would be first in line... dunno if he has any kids.

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Maybe he just watched all the games this year and kinda got sick of the whole team that was in place. It wouldn't surprise me if Josh mentioned in his interview that just about everything needed changing in Denver and Pat agreed. If Pat stamped his seal of approval on Josh after talking with him in-depth about the Bronco situation maybe Pat isn't reeling him in because its what he wants as well. Broncos football will continue once Jay leaves.

DenverBrit
03-19-2009, 03:06 PM

I'm available for adoption. ;D

El Minion
03-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Here's the difference:

See? ;D

Thank you for pointing out the incongruent analogy. Pat and McD have become the darth maul and vader of the league, you can't believe or trust what they say. And Jay is calling them out on it, :pity:

2KBack
03-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think Pat likes Cutler on a personal level. Krieger mentioned that he went Apoplectic (I love that word) when Cutler did not return his calls. And then for Cutler to say "I was right down the Hall he could have come over to talk to me." Well that just shows that Cutler does not understand how the world works.

Also It is clear that Cutler never got any assurances as to the Offensive staff staying the same. Bowlen said in his presser that "He did not anticipate keeping any coaches."

you're on a roll, funny no one else seems to be paying attention

Spider
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Our world view of Lex is one of the few topics we have in common. Hilarious!

LOL

Spider
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
To most of us it's a rooster who can't run, or as you know it, A HOT DATE! Ha!

LOL you texicans are all alike , rooster cruisers no doubt.... but the correct answer is 2 feet of my cock ,in your puss ..........