PDA

View Full Version : Why does Bowlen say he doesnt remember making assurances to Jay?

lex
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
poll to follow

SureShot
03-19-2009, 10:51 AM

SouthStndJunkie
03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Patrick D. Bourbon

tsiguy96
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
these polls are so stupid its unbelievable. yes, we all know enough about that specific situation to have ANY input on why he said it. dumbass.

garandman
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
that was HILARIOUS

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
D. Because Cutler and Cook are full of ****, and a meeting never actually took place.

I'll choose D.

Mogulseeker
03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Is Bowlen actually an alcoholic?

lex
03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
D. Because Cutler and Cook are full of ****, and a meeting never actually took place.

I'll choose D.

That would be choice A, knucklehead.

Spider
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
these polls are so stupid its unbelievable. yes, we all know enough about that specific situation to have ANY input on why he said it. dumbass.

damn ...... I agree with this take ........ something is ****ed up...... maybe you are sober

HEAV
03-19-2009, 11:00 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11947197

Bowlen said Wednesday afternoon that he did not recall meeting with Cutler during the coaching search. Cutler left Denver the day before Mike Shanahan was fired and did not return until February.

frerottenextelway
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM

I'll choose D.

Bowlen at the time:

ďI talked to Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didnít get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didnít sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and Iím sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay.Ē - Pat Bowlen

lostknight
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately Pat himself said that they did meet. It's pat versus Pat everyone.

Archer81
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Couple of possibilities. 1. Maybe he didnt. 2. You remember every little thing you say?

:Broncos:

HEAV
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Bowlen at the time:

ďI talked to Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didnít get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didnít sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and Iím sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay.Ē - Pat Bowlen

Phone conversation not a sitdown as stated by Bus/Cutler.

Cutler left Denver the day before Mike Shanahan was fired and did not return until February.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Bowlen at the time:

Hnmmmm.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 11:04 AM
That would be choice A, knucklehead.

That's "Chucklehead" to you, good sir.

frerottenextelway
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Hnmmmm.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I voted "Didn't actually make assurances." I think Bowlen said some generic, encouraging things to Jay about "not changing" the offense immediately after firing Shanahan. But Jay took him too literally, and expanded what Pat said after the fact in his hopeful mind.

Pat then started searching for a coach, didn't think much about what he told Jay, and hired an offensive guy. Then Jay - over-remembering what Pat had said - was surprised when Jeremy was fired and the offense was scrapped (even so, Jay came in and was by all accounts ready to learn the offense and go at it).

Bowlen is so very highly deferential to coaches, we've seen that all along. So I doubt he made a real ASSURANCE the offense would "remain the same." It's so out of character for a guy who gives his coaches - Reeves, Shanahan and now Josh - blanket authority on all football matters.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM

And? He's the man here now. The quarterback of a football team is generally the man, but he still has to do what the coach says.

As usual, frerotte, you read into everything too much.

frerottenextelway
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
And? He's the man here now. The quarterback of a football team is generally the man, but he still has to do what the coach says.

As usual, frerotte, you read into everything too much.

I can see how he would think he wouldn't be traded by those words, since Pat essentially said that.

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Phone conversation not a sitdown as stated by Bus/Cutler.

Cutler left Denver the day before Mike Shanahan was fired and did not return until February.

The issue is not whether it was a phone call or an actual sit-down meeting in person.

The issue is this: Bowlen right after it happened, admitted that they talked over the phone....

now he's saying they never even spoke (or "he doesn't remember it").

Bowlen said on Wednesday afternoon: "I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f54761&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Rohirrim
03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Hmm, I don't remember all this fan hatred and slime-ball smear attacks on Pat Bowlen back in 1998 and 1999.

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Hmm, I don't remember all this fan hatred and slime-ball smear attacks on Pat Bowlen back in 1998 and 1999.

I can. People have been calling him a drunk, making fun of his fur coats, etc. since before then....

Rabb
03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
what does this agenda against Bowlen actually solve?

seriously, nothing

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
what does this agenda against Bowlen actually solve?

seriously, nothing

Name one (football related) post on the Mane that has ever really solved anything.

In case you are confused, it's not our jobs to solve anything.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
The issue is not whether it was a phone call or an actual sit-down meeting in person.

The issue is this: Bowlen right after it happened, admitted that they talked over the phone....

“I talked to Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didn’t get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didn’t sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and I’m sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay.” - Pat Bowlen

Bowlen said on Wednesday afternoon: "I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f54761&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

That's some powerful stuff there, near-scandalous contradictions. You could put together a similar timeline of contradictions about the roles of coach and GM, and what Xanders duties would be. Just as scandalous of contradictions.

I think Pat Bowlen is a very weak man. I dunno if it's an alcohol problem or what ... when I worked there and in the years covering the team his first couple years there (83-86), it never seemed like he was drinking. But the reasons he is a weak man don't really matter.

A stronger owner - indeed a stronger man - would've brought down the hammer and nipped this entire issue in the bud. It's fine he's deferential to his coach, but as I mentioned he reneged on his promise that Xanders would be a fully-functioning GM. And the resultant chaos caused by this kid running the front office/personnel stuff is a big part of this blowup.
/

Rohirrim
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I can see how he would think he wouldn't be traded by those words, since Pat essentially said that.

Of course, after Jay and his agent did finally sit down with McD and X the Broncos issued a statement on their interpretation of the meeting that was later totally repudiated by Jay and Bus Cook's interpretation. I guess it just depends on who you want to believe.

Rabb
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Name one (football related) post on the Mane that has ever really solved anything.

In case you are confused, it's not our jobs to solve anything.

I will shut up now, good point

lex
03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
That's some powerful stuff there, near-scandalous contradictions. You could put together a similar timeline of contradictions about the roles of coach and GM, and what Xanders duties would be. Just as scandalous of contradictions.

I think Pat Bowlen is a very weak man. I dunno if it's an alcohol problem or what ... when I worked there and in the years covering the team his first couple years there (83-86), it never seemed like he was drinking. But the reasons he is a weak man don't really matter.

A stronger owner - indeed a stronger man - would've brought down the hammer and nipped this entire issue in the bud. It's fine he's deferential to his coach, but as I mentioned he reneged on his promise that Xanders would be a fully-functioning GM. And the resultant chaos caused by this kid running the front office/personnel stuff is a big part of this blowup.
/

He renegged on a lot of things.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Again is the never ending battle on the Mane. The fans of the team verse the fans of the player/coach.

Taco John
03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Again is the never ending battle on the Mane. The fans of the team verse the fans of the player/coach.

There's no such battle.

DBBBSBS
03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
how many more stupid polls will people create.. wow i wish Taco takes control and deletes all the stupid polls and stupid threads that are getting created

Spider
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Is today Thursday ? ....... if so it is laundry day ............ I hate laundry day

Popps
03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Funny poll.

Should have read...

Do you agree with me?

1. Yes
2. Yes I do
3. Why, yes I do

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM

I view myself, like everyone here probably does (with the exception of Cutlerfan and the other teams' fans that show up):

A fan of the team that, by extension, is a fan of at least some of the players as well.

You'd have to be a little crazy, though, to not be in the least bit troubled by the goings on lately in Dove Valley. We have an owner that has, for the moment at least, lost control of his ship to some extent; and has either taken to lying (least dangerous I guess) or not remembering (I REALLY hope not) certain key things......HUGE changes in the front office......a new head coach and a QB who simply can't work together....a roster with more than just a handful of guys that wouldn't start anywhere else....a locker room that most certainly will become divided if it's not all dealt with quickly....an organization that still isn't fully-staffed for the upcoming draft.....and a 2009 schedule that looks anything but friendly.

We all want what's best for the team. Whether or not we agree on who is or isn't to blame for this really doesn't matter so much.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
There's no such battle.

Pffttt. So say's the leader of the band.

Spider
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
There's no such battle.

there is to a battle , I challenge yo u to a dual .......... just as soon as I know what side you are on ;D

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Funny poll.

Should have read...

Do you agree with me?

1. Yes
2. Yes I do
3. Why, yes I do

Why, yeees.

Yes I do.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/68/1207115126_2.jpg

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNUCsUUaevk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kNUCsUUaevk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Bowlen at the time:

For emphasis.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I view myself, like everyone here probably does (with the exception of Cutlerfan and the other teams' fans that show up):

A fan of the team that, by extension, is a fan of at least some of the players as well.

You'd have to be a little crazy, though, to not be in the least bit troubled by the goings on lately in Dove Valley. We have an owner that has, for the moment at least, lost control of his ship to some extent; and has either taken to lying (least dangerous I guess) or not remembering (I REALLY hope not) certain key things......HUGE changes in the front office......a new head coach and a QB who simply can't work together....a roster with more than just a handful of guys that wouldn't start anywhere else....a locker room that most certainly will become divided if it's not all dealt with quickly....an organization that still isn't fully-staffed for the upcoming draft.....and a 2009 schedule that looks anything but friendly.

We all want what's best for the team. Whether or not we agree on who is or isn't to blame for this really doesn't matter so much.

No doubt I'm concerned. But I'm not goign to blindly defend Jay as being the chior boy he's trying to be made to look like.

Jay started showing immaturity with Shanny firing and demanded Bates stay. He left Denver and was gone for over a month.

McD gets & looks at trade offers for a player he know on a personal level and knows can run his offense.

Jay throws a hissy fit. Won't return calls, refued to come to Denver

The team was trying to keep things in house and Jay continues to use the media.

Is McD wrong to look at Cassel? Maybe maybe not, I can see his view in Cassel.

Is Jay wrong for being upset? No, he's allowed to be angered and have feelings.

But there's a point where you have to get over the isssue and accept things in life. Take the trade talks and use it too your advantage. Prove everyone that thought Cassel was/is the better fit wrong.

Instead of cry,fight and word battle in the media.

Look at other players, in all sports, that used what they considered a personal wrong in their favor as motivation and show the detractors to be foolish.

I mean fo F-Sake! Jay played with Rod Smith and player that wasn't even drafted and used that to carve out a great career in the NFL.

Players use the too small, not smart enough, not fast enough, can't throw deep and other down grades to motivate them to being good/great players.

Prove McDaniels wrong Cutler. Stop the crying, stop the agent BS. Getting traded is the easy way out.

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Jay started showing immaturity with Shanny firing and demanded Bates stay. He left Denver and was gone for over a month.

That part is wrong. After the hiring of McDaniels, he still spent 2+ weeks with him and the position coaches every day. Today is only day 18 since the trade rumors hit the wire, and he's been back in Denver for the last week or so (in which time, he met in person with McDaniels and Xanders), so "over a month" is not even possible.

backup qb
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
How about choice D: time to sell the team

backup qb
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I heard the tourney started today. Is that true?

HEAV
03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
That part is wrong. After the hiring of McDaniels, he still spent 2+ weeks with him and the position coaches every day. Today is only day 18 since the trade rumors hit the wire, and he's been back in Denver for the last week or so (in which time, he met in person with McDaniels and Xanders), so "over a month" is not even possible.

Again people find the one thing they feel isn't correct and ignore the rest...

Jay said he had been "dropping in there regularly the last 2 1/2 weeks, dealing with these guys"

Ok so he dropped in "With these guys" seems kinda pasive-aggressive using terms like "These guys"

OK so what about the rest. The actions of late, the lack of even wanting to try and earn the respect of the doubters. Instead he wants to be treated has Shanny did.

No let's baby him and let him think he's bigger than the team.

lex
03-19-2009, 01:06 PM
No doubt I'm concerned. But I'm not goign to blindly defend Jay as being the chior boy he's trying to be made to look like.

McD gets & looks at trade offers for a player he know on a personal level and knows can run his offense.

Jay throws a hissy fit. Won't return calls, refued to come to Denver

The team was trying to keep things in house and Jay continues to use the media.
Is McD wrong to look at Cassel? Maybe maybe not, I can see his view in Cassel.

Is Jay wrong for being upset? No, he's allowed to be angered and have feelings.

But there's a point where you have to get over the isssue and accept things in life. Take the trade talks and use it too your advantage. Prove everyone that thought Cassel was/is the better fit wrong.

Instead of cry,fight and word battle in the media.

Look at other players, in all sports, that used what they considered a personal wrong in their favor as motivation and show the detractors to be foolish.

I mean fo F-Sake! Jay played with Rod Smith and player that wasn't even drafted and used that to carve out a great career in the NFL.

Players use the too small, not smart enough, not fast enough, can't throw deep and other down grades to motivate them to being good/great players.

Prove McDaniels wrong Cutler. Stop the crying, stop the agent BS. Getting traded is the easy way out.

This constant utterance is comical. Why is it an emotional reaction but when its McDaniels its matter-of-fact consideration? First of all, its possible for Jay to matter of factly say, if you put a knife in my back, you get what you get--without emotion. This utterance is a perfect example of how its hypocritical to say its a business when it comes to what everyone does to Jay, but when Jay looks out for himself, he is some emotional teen age girl. Its ridiculous. Josh was coldly calculating that he would be better off with Cassel and Jay was, in turn, coldly saying that he cant trust McDaniels. Jay was doing nothing different than what Josh was doing.

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Again people find the one thing they feel isn't correct and ignore the rest...

I'm not ignoring the rest. I'm conceding that the rest is at a minimum, debatable. You have made your opinion clear on those points. That is fine. I simply pointed out the one thing that I found to be factually inacccurate without discrediting anything else (I specified "this part").

Beantown Bronco
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Ok so he dropped in "With these guys" seems kinda pasive-aggressive using terms like "These guys"

No worse than Bowlen, who only refers to Bus Cook as "the agent" and never by name.

garandman
03-19-2009, 01:13 PM
We may really regret Shanny's leadership of this team/FO, apparently he did keep it together, Pat has lost it man....

Florida_Bronco
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
There's no such battle.

This is true, despite douchebags like HEAV and a few others who are doing their base to make it a battle. Unfortunately we have a few people like him on the McDaniels side of the issue, and according to them anyone who is supporting Jay is putting him over the team or some other such bull****. I guess they don't feel that you can be critical of the way a team is handling a situation without being a bandwagon fan.

I'd say it's pretty much the standard message board antics of locking yourself onto one extreme side of an argument and attacking those on the other side.

Popps
03-19-2009, 01:38 PM
This is true, despite douchebags like HEAV and a few others who are doing their base to make it a battle. Unfortunately we have a few people like him on the McDaniels side of the issue, and according to them anyone who is supporting Jay is putting him over the team or some other such bull****. I guess they don't feel that you can be critical of the way a team is handling a situation without being a bandwagon fan.

I'd say it's pretty much the standard message board antics of locking yourself onto one extreme side of an argument and attacking those on the other side.

Wrong.

First off, there are more than a "few" people who are opposed to Jay's behavior. So, I'm not sure where you dreamed that up. Polls show somewhere around half of the people here think Jay could fix this, if not more.

Second, Cutler himself is putting him over the team. So, don't blame fans if they simply follow Jay's lead, and assume that it's about either Jay Cutler OR the Denver Broncos.

Jay said himself that it has "run its course." He doesn't want to play in Denver. He wants to abandon his teammates and fans. Why anyone wants to chase after him wringing their hands is beyond me.

The guy doesn't want to be a Bronco, so **** 'em.

If he changes his mind and wants to be part of the team, great. C'mon back, Jay.

I guess they don't feel that you can be critical of the way a team is handling a situation without being a bandwagon fan.

Sure you can. You can not like the way this was handled and still think that Jay Cutler is the one who needs to make this right by honoring his contract.

Very, very simple.

Could be, but this has developed into a fairly black and white situation, at this point. The staff has told him they want him back and don't prefer to trade him. Jay has told the team to go **** themselves.

You can yammer on about Jay's feelings and who got "lied" to or not, but it NOW boils down to... Jay Cutler is either going to be a man and honor his contract and play with those teammates he "loves" so much, or he's going to force his way out of town.

It's really simple. He's not going to get an extension by putting a gun to the club's head, skipping meetings, demanding a trade and saying "it's run its course."

Then again, those actions aren't those of someone who wants an extension, anyway. He WANTS out of town. So, if that's the case.... **** right off, Jay. Enjoy Detroit.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 01:51 PM

So say's one of TJ's nut-huggers...

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Well, the disease has progressed since then ;D

rugbythug
03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Bowlen did not give any assurances to Jay. Read the Presser.

Drek
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Man, there are people on this board who seriously want to see Cook/Cutler get the FO over a barrel and stick them with a monster new extension, simultaneously ****ing the team's salary cap and also completely castrating the FO in front of the entire league.

Its basically 100% the OPPOSITE of what would best serve the team here, short of Cutler walking into Dove Valley with an M60 and blowing a hole in everyone he sees before setting the building on fire while he ass-****s Roger Goodell's mom on national TV.

Yet there are a good number of posters who seriously think that isn't just the best way to resolve this issue, but the "punishment" that the FO "deserves".

How the hell is that being a Bronco fan?

Arkie
03-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Bowlen said whatever the **** he wanted to say, beeatch! :afro: :lombardi: :lombardi: :Broncos:

frerottenextelway
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Man, there are people on this board who seriously want to see Cook/Cutler get the FO over a barrel and stick them with a monster new extension, simultaneously ****ing the team's salary cap and also completely castrating the FO in front of the entire league.

Its basically 100% the OPPOSITE of what would best serve the team here, short of Cutler walking into Dove Valley with an M60 and blowing a hole in everyone he sees before setting the building on fire while he ass-****s Roger Goodell's mom on national TV.

Yet there are a good number of posters who seriously think that isn't just the best way to resolve this issue, but the "punishment" that the FO "deserves".

The cap's going away. If Bowlen can't afford to field a team like the big boys in the league, then he should sell it. We don't need to become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL - or even the Broncos of the 80's when we weren't competitive with the NFC's powerhouses.

Drek
03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
The cap's going away. If Bowlen can't afford to field a team like the big boys in the league, then he should sell it. We don't need to become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL - or even the Broncos of the 80's when we weren't competitive with the NFC's powerhouses.

You should read up on what an uncapped year will look like. It won't be like MLB at all, teams will have spending strictly limited and it will also provide an ideal time for the Broncos to get some young players (Marshall, Kuper, Harris, Dumervil, etc.) into below market long term deals where they can front load cap hits.

The last thing the Broncos should do is piss away that flexibility now to make Cutler feel better.

Bronx33
03-19-2009, 05:02 PM
How about choice D: time to sell the team

Your just mad at those big talkers over in springfield.

rastaman
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM

So why do you want every Bronco fan to become a blind-gullible fan of the owner, GM, and HC??

Last time I checked, what fills the seats are winning and the watching the players perform on the field.

I have yet to see fans come to a sold out stadium to watch the owners and the GM sit in the luxury boxes like Kings or coming to watch the HC's.

I for one side with the players b/c they are the ones who but it on the lines with their bodies and talent! Jay needs to get what Jay can get while the getting is good.

Owners stay owners until they die, GM and HC can stay in this game for 30 or 40 years........Players have a short window of opportunity of 4 to 12 years in the NFL.

barryr
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
So let's see. Shanahan fired because he won't get rid of Slowik. Cutler wants to be traded because the Broncos let Bates go.

Slowik and Bates? Broncos organization up in arms at the moment because of these two? Anyone somehow believe this duo is destined for greatness?

rastaman
03-19-2009, 05:47 PM
So let's see. Shanahan fired because he won't get rid of Slowik. Cutler wants to be traded because the Broncos let Bates go.

Slowik and Bates? Broncos organization up in arms at the moment because of these two? Anyone somehow believe this duo is destined for greatness?

Sure! Cutler liked his chances for success with Bates and Shanahan guiding him.

Anyway, had the Broncos not had the rash of injuries with their RB's, the Broncos make the playoffs, win the AFC, and McDaniels would have never been a Bronoco HC.

barryr
03-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Sure! Cutler liked his chances for success with Bates and Shanahan guiding him.

Anyway, had the Broncos not had the rash of injuries with their RB's, the Broncos make the playoffs, win the AFC, and McDaniels would have never been a Bronoco HC.

And we'd still have Slowik as DC with yet another year(4 years and counting) of looking to improve the defense.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Bates is on the fast track for success, really.

WABronco
03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Cutler: "I wasn't catered to like I thought I was going to be. On top of that they bring in this big meany head of a coach. This whole thing stinks! They didn't kiss my ass and they said they WOULD! WAHHHHHH" /tears.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 06:05 PM

You really show how stupid you are...

As it stands now 09 will be the last cap year. If a new deal can't be worked out by 2010, then yes there will be no cap in 2010.

But then come 2011, if still no new deal done, the owners are going to lockout the players. Meaning Jay won't have any income...kinda funny that all the new contract talk came about lately...

So is one year spending spree would be useless for any owner.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Cutler: "I wasn't catered to like I thought I was going to be. On top of that they bring in this big meany head of a coach. This whole thing stinks! They didn't kiss my ass and they said they WOULD! WAHHHHHH" /tears.

If traded Jay would be starting over (much like he will in Denver) with a new offense and not knowing the coaches.

But he will have a new contract that would pay him (and Bus) big bucks...

So is Jay gutless to not take on the challange of being the Man in Denver and proving his doubters wrong?

Or is this about filling his pockets?

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Glad their both gone, two of the biggest reasons Shanny got fired IMO.

Florida_Bronco
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM

All that is just the other extreme end of the spectrum, which I might add is about as asinine as the other extreme.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Bates is on the fast track for success, really.
That's right ... I think the last two USC O-Coordinators, the two since Norm Chow left, are head coaches now. Sarkisian, whom Bates replaced, took the job at UW here.

GO HUSKIES!!

Sassy
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Bowlen coming up on ESPN news.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
That's right ... I think the last two USC O-Coordinators, the two since Norm Chow left, are head coaches now. Sarkisian, whom Bates replaced, took the job at UW here.

GO HUSKIES!!

Pete Carroll creamed his jeans over the opportunity to work with him and publicly acknowledged Jeremy would be moving on to an NFL HC gig soon.

WABronco
03-19-2009, 06:25 PM
^FUDGE and I don't get it of course.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Changed the channel for it... are you sure...?

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 06:28 PM

I don't think Jay should get a new deal, no way, not after all this. But I see nothing wrong with Bowlen stating on the record that Jay will not be traded. That shouldn't be a problem for Josh (and his secretary Brian), because they both claim they don't wanna trade him anyway. At least then Jay could save face a bit, because he has definitely climbed out on a long branch now.

I do not feel like "punishing" these new guys ... but I am keenly aware that they are in fact NEW. And that irks me. Even though I like most of their moves (all but Paxton, Bly and Arrington), I think Josh is swinging his power around without any checks on him. And, as I may have posted at some time before, I think he's in over his head ... Bowlen should've stuck to his guns with the division of power he promised, because a kid Josh's age should have his hands full just teaching his offense and forging relationships.

BroncoBuff
03-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Pete Carroll creamed his jeans over the opportunity to work with him and publicly acknowledged Jeremy would be moving on to an NFL HC gig soon.

Hmmmm .... I know a team I'd sure like to see him head coaching about now :~ohyah!:

Ratboy
03-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Anything?

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Yet, the deal may have been for the #1 overall, and for Cassell who would require a new deal...

That's a lot more money than a Cutler extension, so by your logic, you're being a worse Bronco fan.

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 06:33 PM
All that is just the other extreme end of the spectrum, which I might add is about as asinine as the other extreme.

I dont think so.

I think people have a right to whine with Jay, sure. I also think those people are all ****ing morons.

Look, if you have found yourself on Taco's side, you have found yourself on the losing side of an argument :)

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Yet, the deal may have been for the #1 overall, and for Cassell who would require a new deal...

That's a lot more money than a Cutler extension, so by your logic, you're being a worse Bronco fan.

Ahh, thats true. But with the #1 overall it could easily have been traded down to make more picks and Cassell's deal would certainly have been more palpable than a Cutler extension at the hands of Bus Cook.

Cassell can run McD's offense. With the offensive line, the WRs and the plethora of RBs we throw out there, I can promise you he would have been good here. Maybe even great. And the team overall would have the potential to be better because of extra draft picks for defensive players that this team DESPERATELY needs. No one argues that point.

People here are talking 120 million for Cutler. Thats not only going to kill the Broncos financially, but it will prevent them from ever getting enough pieces on defense to field a champion. Because Bus Cook is a greedy mother ****er with only one high profile client to try and get money out of.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Ahh, thats true. But with the #1 overall it could easily have been traded down to make more picks and Cassell's deal would certainly have been more palpable than a Cutler extension at the hands of Bus Cook.

Cassell can run McD's offense. With the offensive line, the WRs and the plethora of RBs we throw out there, I can promise you he would have been good here. Maybe even great. And the team overall would have the potential to be better because of extra draft picks for defensive players that this team DESPERATELY needs. No one argues that point.

People here are talking 120 million for Cutler. Thats not only going to kill the Broncos financially, but it will prevent them from ever getting enough pieces on defense to field a champion. Because Bus Cook is a greedy mother ****er with only one high profile client to try and get money out of.

Could it?

From what we've heard, Detroit is doing just about everything they can to get rid of it.

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Nobody wants that #1 overall pick. The "sure thing" in this draft is a LB. LBs are not worth $65m!!! The other potential first round picks are Stafford, Smith, and Monroe. With Cassel a QB isn't necessary and Smith/Monroe wouldn't start for us.

WABronco
03-19-2009, 07:22 PM
None of 'em are worth 65 mil!!!

Arkie
03-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Nobody wants that #1 overall pick. The "sure thing" in this draft is a LB. LBs are not worth $65m!!! The other potential first round picks are Stafford, Smith, and Monroe. With Cassel a QB isn't necessary and Smith/Monroe wouldn't start for us.

Andrey Bruce, Baby!

man, I heard Curry could be as good as Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

watermock
03-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Cutler nor Cook have ever asked or demandd a reworked or new contract.

Why do I have to keep explaining that/

He has formally asked for a trade. After that, what he does is of absolutely no significance to Denver./

frerottenextelway
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
You really show how stupid you are...

As it stands now 09 will be the last cap year. If a new deal can't be worked out by 2010, then yes there will be no cap in 2010.

But then come 2011, if still no new deal done, the owners are going to lockout the players. Meaning Jay won't have any income...kinda funny that all the new contract talk came about lately...

So is one year spending spree would be useless for any owner.

Don't be so naive and gullible. If the cap goes (ie., no deal reached before this contract expires) then the cap is dead for a generation. The Union has said this clearly and good luck seeing the Owners, many who support dumping the cap btw (which you seem to be completely unaware of), lockout the players and kill their business.

HEAV
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't be so naive and gullible. If the cap goes (ie., no deal reached before this contract expires) then the cap is dead for a generation. The Union has said this clearly and good luck seeing the Owners, many who support dumping the cap btw (which you seem to be completely unaware of), lockout the players and kill their business.

Again you just love to show how full of **** you really are...

From May 2008.
The 2008 and 2009 seasons will be played under the current CBA, but if an agreement is not reached by 2010, then the salary cap will expire. That means richer teams will outbid smaller market teams for players, much like is done in baseball.

Salaries could skyrocket.

Gene Upshaw, the head of the players union, has said. ďOnce the cap expires, itís hard to see it ever coming back.Ē

Since the owners do not want to see the salary cap go by the wayside, a lockout could occur in 2011.

Thatís four years away, but still should cause concern for football fans.

From March 18th 2009
New NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said Monday he will follow the lead of his late predecessor, Gene Upshaw, and will be unflinching as the union girds for a potentially contentious negotiations of the collective bargaining agreement with NFL owners.
"There isn't a day where I don't hope for peace, but at the same time, there isn't a day where we won't prepare for war," Smith said in a Monday conference call from NFLPA meetings in Maui.

Smith is inheriting a union that faces ownership threats of a potential 2011 lockout after the current CBA expires. Echoing Upshaw, Smith, 45, said if the 2010 season is played without a salary cap, the players will not return to a salary-cap system. Owners voted last May to opt out, effective after the 2010 season, from the current CBA, which pays players nearly 60% of football revenues.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-03-16-nflpa-update_N.htm

Popps
03-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Again you just love to show how full of **** you really are...

From May 2008.
The 2008 and 2009 seasons will be played under the current CBA, but if an agreement is not reached by 2010, then the salary cap will expire. That means richer teams will outbid smaller market teams for players, much like is done in baseball.

Salaries could skyrocket.

Gene Upshaw, the head of the players union, has said. ďOnce the cap expires, itís hard to see it ever coming back.Ē

Since the owners do not want to see the salary cap go by the wayside, a lockout could occur in 2011.

Thatís four years away, but still should cause concern for football fans.

From March 18th 2009
New NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said Monday he will follow the lead of his late predecessor, Gene Upshaw, and will be unflinching as the union girds for a potentially contentious negotiations of the collective bargaining agreement with NFL owners.
"There isn't a day where I don't hope for peace, but at the same time, there isn't a day where we won't prepare for war," Smith said in a Monday conference call from NFLPA meetings in Maui.

Smith is inheriting a union that faces ownership threats of a potential 2011 lockout after the current CBA expires. Echoing Upshaw, Smith, 45, said if the 2010 season is played without a salary cap, the players will not return to a salary-cap system. Owners voted last May to opt out, effective after the 2010 season, from the current CBA, which pays players nearly 60% of football revenues.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-03-16-nflpa-update_N.htm

This is scary.

But, if the NFL is looking for a way to **** itself right out of a good thing, this is the way to do it. They're the premiere ticket in all of sports right now, but that will end in a hurry.

bpc
03-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Pretty much par for the course with Pat Bowlen.

"Shanahan will be the coach here, as long as he wants to be."

Until he isn't.

"Jim Goodman has his job and will have his job... I don't see it necessary to hire a GM..."

But then he does.

This is just the next chapter is a long line of stupid lies by Pat Bowlen. Seriously, he's totally tarnished what he is to Bronco fans in about the span of 3 months.

I'm just hoping his money dry's up soon so he can sell the team and we can get a owner that has a clue in town. Then maybe that owner will bring back the orange jerseys.

F Bowlen.

spdirty
03-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Until he isn't.

"Jim Goodman has his job and will have his job... I don't see it necessary to hire a GM..."

But then he does.

This is just the next chapter is a long line of stupid lies by Pat Bowlen. Seriously, he's totally tarnished what he is to Bronco fans in about the span of 3 months.

I'm just hoping his money dry's up soon so he can sell the team and we can get a owner that has a clue in town. Then maybe that owner will bring back the orange jerseys.

F Bowlen.

dude, Im playing powerball twice a week...once I win Ill put it all on number 6...hit that that then buy it from the old drunk. Till then, just keep your pants on.

hambone13
03-19-2009, 11:44 PM
This constant utterance is comical. Why is it an emotional reaction but when its McDaniels its matter-of-fact consideration? First of all, its possible for Jay to matter of factly say, if you put a knife in my back, you get what you get--without emotion. This utterance is a perfect example of how its hypocritical to say its a business when it comes to what everyone does to Jay, but when Jay looks out for himself, he is some emotional teen age girl. Its ridiculous. Josh was coldly calculating that he would be better off with Cassel and Jay was, in turn, coldly saying that he cant trust McDaniels. Jay was doing nothing different than what Josh was doing.

AAAAAAMen..... Please end the constant McTongue-isms. It's annoying.

hambone13
03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
So say's one of TJ's nut-huggers...

Great point. So says one of McDaniels nut-huggers.......idiotically once again.

SoCalBronco
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM

Until he isn't.

But then he does.

F Bowlen.

Bowlen is an embarassment, indeed. Excellent post as usual.

hambone13
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Ahh, thats true. But with the #1 overall it could easily have been traded down

You're logic is so jacked up. No one wants the #1 right now? How is that valuable? Read a little brain child.

hambone13
03-20-2009, 12:05 AM

Until he isn't.

But then he does.

F Bowlen.

I guess Jay couldn't feel lied to, mislead or completely unwilling to work for a jackass that can't remember what he said a couple of months ago, him being "the man" and all. Do ya think maybe Josh is just an extension of the problem that Pat caused? I do. Jay's personal reassurances were truly coming from what he believed Pat Bowlen was willing to stand for. I can see him not wanting to play for the owner and/or at least not returning his calls....Maybe this isn't a "Bus Cook/Cutler" scandal after all. Perhaps it's, "I don't want to work for the next Al Davis w/o the money scandal.....

watermock
03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
But we gotta fix the offense first!

I'm pretty much disenfranchised at this point.

It's like a train wreck in slow motion...you can't look away...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QfFCC71vhDM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QfFCC71vhDM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bpc
03-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I guess Jay couldn't feel lied to, mislead or completely unwilling to work for a jackass that can't remember what he said a couple of months ago, him being "the man" and all. Do ya think maybe Josh is just an extension of the problem that Pat caused? I do. Jay's personal reassurances were truly coming from what he believed Pat Bowlen was willing to stand for. I can see him not wanting to play for the owner and/or at least not returning his calls....Maybe this isn't a "Bus Cook/Cutler" scandal after all. Perhaps it's, "I don't want to work for the next Al Davis w/o the money scandal.....

I think McDaniels is a two faced punk who has set this franchise back with his stupid ass backwards way of handling the QB situation.

The only person I am bothered by more in this franchise right now is Bowlen for he's the idiot that hired the other idiot thats now pulling the strings at 32 years of age. Last year he was jumping up and down on his couch running his Madden Dynasty on his xbox. This year he's running the Broncos into the ground. As for Bowlen... Oh yeah, the buck stops with him... Except when he's out for weeks on end partaking in some of his normal weekend benders. Then he shows long enough to contradict a bunch of his statements through the media that he made on previous only to gallop off into the sunset again.

Welcome to the post-Shanahan Denver Broncos.