PDA

View Full Version : Fan's Reaction???

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 06:16 AM
How would everyone react if the Broncos extended Cutler's contract or gave him a completely new one?

I think it would be a poor decision to scrap his current contract and give him a brand new $70m contract or something like that. But, if they did it now they could point to some history and not have to give him that $100-120m.

Another option would be to add (extend) to his current contract. Something along the lines of two years, $20m with a $10m bonus. That would be adding $4m and $6m in 2012 and 2013 respectively and then amortizing $2.5m per year for the next four years. Would he go for that if it had a "no trade" clause or a poison pill (lump payment of $10m) or something of that sort in the extension? Would the fans go for that?

IMO, it would be a good idea to keep Cutler. I can certainly see life without him and I think that we could get by, but giving up a known commodity at the most important position is not the greatest idea either. Still, if the right opportunity presented itself, (e.g. Cassel and a pair of first round picks or Quinn, Rogers, and #5 overall) then you would have to consider it... especially if you consider the depleted or aging talent on defense!

Thoughts?

spdirty
03-19-2009, 06:37 AM
To extend him or give him a new one would save the franchise from a Babe Ruth like curse.

TDmvp
03-19-2009, 06:40 AM
To extend him or give him a new one would save the franchise from a Babe Ruth like curse.

no doubt ...

F this up and we could end up the L.A. Sharks ...

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Make him happy. We've got the cap room.

Irish Stout
03-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Absolutely. Again, just can't say I see anyone I'd rather have than Cutler at this time... save for maybe Matt Ryan.

Man-Goblin
03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
It would be a horrible precedent to set.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm so torn on this issue.

If it was about money from the start, which I believe it was, then i'm reluctant to pay the guy. He's had one really good year, but we didn't win more with him. I know, the defense was putrid, and I get that. But man, he seemed so upset with the whole Shanahan/Bates situation, and... I just question whether he wants to be here or not. That's a major issue for me.

I want him to be the QB, though, and that trumps everything I guess. So I'd like to see a no-trade clause added, to see if that would bring him back, and if not, we know about money.

of course, that happens and I don't know what we do.

worm
03-19-2009, 07:19 AM

I agree.

Steve Sewell
03-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I think we should sign him to a long term contract with a no trade clause, and then send him and McD a vacation (ON A BOAT?) where they can get wasted and have some bonding time.

Problem solved.

ON A BOAT I SAY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwM4vXex7c

broncofan7
03-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Sign 'Em!

SleepingTiger
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm so torn on this issue.

If it was about money from the start, which I believe it was, then i'm reluctant to pay the guy. He's had one really good year, but we didn't win more with him. I know, the defense was putrid, and I get that. But man, he seemed so upset with the whole Shanahan/Bates situation, and... I just question whether he wants to be here or not. That's a major issue for me.

I want him to be the QB, though, and that trumps everything I guess. So I'd like to see a no-trade clause added, to see if that would bring him back, and if not, we know about money.

of course, that happens and I don't know what we do.

so Cutler planned to have Mcidiot try trade him for Cassel so he can demand a new contract? please

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 07:36 AM
How would everyone react if the Broncos extended Cutler's contract or gave him a completely new one?

Im OK with giving him more money. If we keep him Im fine with it, Im fine if we get rid of him too.

I think it would be a poor decision to scrap his current contract and give him a brand new $70m contract or something like that. But, if they did it now they could point to some history and not have to give him that $100-120m.

I was thinking 30 Million, being as he still hasnt progressed much and we dont know if he is going to get better or not. He may already be at his ceiling. A 30 Million dollar contract with incentives that could reach 70 million if he performs well or something.

Another option would be to add (extend) to his current contract. Something along the lines of two years, $20m with a $10m bonus. That would be adding $4m and $6m in 2012 and 2013 respectively and then amortizing $2.5m per year for the next four years. Would he go for that if it had a "no trade" clause or a poison pill (lump payment of $10m) or something of that sort in the extension? Would the fans go for that?

This sounds like a better deal to me. Id rather we went this route. Cutler isnt worth 70+ million right now. He just isnt. Right now its still just potential.

IMO, it would be a good idea to keep Cutler. I can certainly see life without him and I think that we could get by, but giving up a known commodity at the most important position is not the greatest idea either. Still, if the right opportunity presented itself, (e.g. Cassel and a pair of first round picks or Quinn, Rogers, and #5 overall) then you would have to consider it... especially if you consider the depleted or aging talent on defense!

Thoughts?
I just gave em to you :)

Muddled
03-19-2009, 07:36 AM

Or a Jeff George like blessing

Archer81
03-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I dont think he's earned a new contract or an extension of his current deal, but if it happens it happens.

:Broncos:

Rohirrim
03-19-2009, 07:39 AM
The Broncos have to protect themselves. They have to make the determination whether or not they can make a long term (and very expensive) investment in Jay Cutler. Is this the end of Jay's immaturity, or only the beginning? Bring him in, let him play another year on his contract. If, by December, it looks like he's back on board and ready to lead, write him a new deal. If not, prepare draft deals for all the QBs coming out next year.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Yes. Showing the locker room you're committed to your key players would be horrible.

EmpireOrange
03-19-2009, 07:51 AM
that contract had better include a lease agreement with John Elway so that Elway can yank his azz out of his position the next time he acts like a freaking child. The contract should also include provisions stipulating that Cutler hold a press conference, pull his pants down around his ankles, his shirt over his head, and squeeze his man boobs together and sing to the world "no milkshake, is better than mine, is better than mine". Cutler must be traded. No contract, traded

SleepingTiger
03-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Im OK with giving him more money. If we keep him Im fine with it, Im fine if we get rid of him too.

I was thinking 30 Million, being as he still hasnt progressed much and we dont know if he is going to get better or not. He may already be at his ceiling. A 30 Million dollar contract with incentives that could reach 70 million if he performs well or something.

This sounds like a better deal to me. Id rather we went this route. Cutler isnt worth 70+ million right now. He just isnt. Right now its still just potential.

I just gave em to you :)

IMO Cutler right now is top 5 QB, that alone gives him 70 mil

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
so Cutler planned to have Mcidiot try trade him for Cassel so he can demand a new contract? please

Don't be retarded.

There's an awful lot more to this situation than the supposed-near trading of Cutler. Like Cutler's reaction every day since then, which involves asking for a "long term" commitment from the team, in spite of the coach, owner, FO, and team spokesman saying "WE ARE NOT TRADING JAY CUTLER."

If you actually READ my post (instead of one line FROM my post) you might see the point I was trying to get across.

Hand him a signed no-trade clause. See if that gets him back in the fold. If not, and it's all about money... well then I'd be right, wouldn't i?

dbfan21
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I agree it would be a horrible precedent to set, but the thing that other players need to consider is that rarely do franchise QBs grace your hallways....and if we extend Jay now (and hopefully make him a Bronco for the next 10 years), we will not have to worry about a similar situation for for a long time. By then, who knows what the league will look like (in terms of contracts and stuff).

I say make him happy, lock him up and let's start winning some Super Bowls!

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Good point

Don't be retarded.

There's an awful lot more to this situation than the supposed-near trading of Cutler. Like Cutler's reaction every day since then, which involves asking for a "long term" commitment from the team, in spite of the coach, owner, FO, and team spokesman saying "WE ARE NOT TRADING JAY CUTLER."

If you actually READ my post (instead of one line FROM my post) you might see the point I was trying to get across.

Hand him a signed no-trade clause. See if that gets him back in the fold. If not, and it's all about money... well then I'd be right, wouldn't i?

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes. Showing the locker room you're committed to your key players would be horrible.

Commitment is a 2 way street. I've seen nothing from Jay Cutler over the last month to indicate any commitment towards this franchise.

spdirty
03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I think we should sign him to a long term contract with a no trade clause, and then send him and McD a vacation (ON A BOAT?) where they can get wasted and have some bonding time.

Problem solved.

Best idea ive heard all week! :)

eddie mac
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Here's my 10 cents.

Unless Cutler gets rid of Bus you can forget about cheap deals or 2 year extensions.

In Bowlen's current frame of mind I'd be surprised if he doesn't ask Jay for his players tickets back.

Commitment and respect are a 2 way street. Without knowing the full details of what has actually went on it's hard to conclude who's to blame but I see none of the above from either party.

I dont see any team in the league bowing to the demands of a player (regardless of his potential) who doesn't return the owner's calls or meet with the HC one on one.

The main objective first and foremost (if feasible) is to get a relationship rebuilt between McDaniels and Cutler, then they can talk about money. Base the relationship on the contract and it'll only end in tears and cost a damn fortune, which could've been utilised on a player who wants to play for this team.

Irish Stout
03-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Why not just give him a new contract that is mostly performance based? I know Bowlen will have no problem tossing Jay some extra coin if Jay gets the team to the playoffs.

I think a no trade clause is a great idea, but what happens if in three years we all decide that Jay has not met the potential most of us believe he has?

Jay: I've got my swimtrunks and my flippy floppies
McD:

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Commitment is a 2 way street. I've seen nothing from Jay Cutler over the last month to indicate any commitment towards this franchise.

No, showing up while the rest of the team is on vacation so that you can learn a new system, the terminology and have a jump start on the offense's install doesn't show any commitment, does it?!?

Pretty easy to see that Jay Cutler was commited and then (he feels) betrayed. The day before the trade talks he waited outside of McD's office for 30-45 minutes to talk to him about the offense. Meanwhile McD was on the phone, most likely discussing trading the guy that was waiting outside his door on his time. If I were Jay Cutler, I would be pretty upset as well.

Irish Stout
03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Why not just give him a new contract that is mostly performance based? I know Bowlen will have no problem tossing Jay some extra coin if Jay gets the team to the playoffs.

I think a no trade clause is a great idea, but what happens if in three years we all decide that Jay has not met the potential most of us believe he has?

McD: I'm flippin Burgers, X is at Kinkos straight flippin copies.

Breaker
03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Simms earns three times what Cutler does, there is no way in hell that you can justify that on any level.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
No, showing up while the rest of the team is on vacation so that you can learn a new system, the terminology and have a jump start on the offense's install doesn't show any commitment, does it?!?

Pretty easy to see that Jay Cutler was commited and then (he feels) betrayed. The day before the trade talks he waited outside of McD's office for 30-45 minutes to talk to him about the offense. Meanwhile McD was on the phone, most likely discussing trading the guy that was waiting outside his door on his time. If I were Jay Cutler, I would be pretty upset as well.

This is a fact? Or a soap opera script?

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Simms earns three times what Cutler does, there is no way in hell that you can justify that on any level.

Sure you can. Simms played out his rookie contract. His second contract and third contracts each have a little more $$$ to them. The same will happen with Jay Cutler. He is playing out his rookie contract.

The inverse is often true as well. A guy like Matt Leinert making more money than Kurt Warner (until he recently signed a new contract) to sit on the bench while Kurt took them to a Superbowl!

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 09:16 AM
This is a fact? Or a soap opera script?

Facts supported by my speculation of what was going on during the wait.

Fact-Cutler waiting at McD's office the day before the trade rumors for 30-45 minutes while McD talked on the phone.

My Speculation- Cutler there to talk about the offense. McD talking about trading him.

;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Facts supported by my speculation of what was going on during the wait.

Fact-Cutler waiting at McD's office the day before the trade rumors for 30-45 minutes while McD talked on the phone.

My Speculation- Cutler there to talk about the offense. McD talking about trading him.

;D

That's one helluva speculation. I've never even heard the "Cutler was waiting outside McD's office while he was talking on the phone" story... I think it's bull****, but whatever you need to tell yourself to keep alive the "McD is an asshole!" meme.

As for the incentive-based contract, I don't think Bus Cook would go for that. he wants long term commitment, regardless of whether his client performs well. If Cutler falters, he would be both a trade possibility AND would lose money.

SleepingTiger
03-19-2009, 09:31 AM

and the broncos have?? who was nearly traded again??

SureShot
03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.hardcoretees.net/images/imagesforebay/T_roupay.jpg

lex
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM

McD:

Because after the mess that has been created, they need to overcompensate by offering assurances that werent necessary prior to making this mess.

Popps
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm happy if Jay stays if it's under the parameters the organization feels works best. That means, if it's at his current contract, then so be it.

Jay has more to prove to his teammates and staff than the team has to prove to him, at this point.

If he leaves... oh well. Life, and the team go on.

mwill07
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
sign him up long term. Time and wins will cure all of the issues between cuter and McD. If cutler can be calmed down and they work this out, both cutler and McD will walk away better for it - Hopefully Cutler learns some humility, and McD learns some tact.

Popps
03-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Because after the mess that has been created, they need to overcompensate by offering assurances that werent necessary prior to making this mess.

Hilarious!

That's precious.

"Jay, we're sorry this is a business. We're sorry you have to exist in the grown-up world. Here's a massive contract as our way to say sorry."

:giggle: Hilarious! LOL

Awesome.

Drek
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Other than the big fat bonus Cutler has already been paid, that included him playing out these last three years with manageable base salaries.

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 11:46 AM

Or showing the locker room that if you whine and cry hard enough you can get millions even though your play doesnt merit it.

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
What if we keep Cutler and it turns out Cutler is no better than an average QB?

What then?

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Or showing the locker room that if you whine and cry hard enough you can get millions even though your play doesnt merit it.

I don't see where the whining, crying, or not meriting it comes from, but okay...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't see where the whining, crying, or not meriting it comes from, but okay...

Well, to see those things you'd have to open your eyes. Something you're clearly incapable of.

Broncoman13
03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Well, to see those things you'd have to open your eyes. Something you're clearly incapable of.

You're right Popps....err.... ThatOneWannabePopps

Ambiguous
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm fine with giving him more money. It's a risky move, but if it keeps him in Denver and happy I'm for it.

What really scares me is seeing him go somewhere else and becoming an elite QB. That would be pain that lasts years and years.

Ambiguous
03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
What if we keep Cutler and it turns out Cutler is no better than an average QB?

What then?

I could live with him as an average QB.

I think that would be better than letting him go somewhere else and become a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

summerdenver
03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I will be fine with Jay getting a new contract. Afterall, we were prepared to give one to Cassel.

However, I don't see it happening. I believe Broncos will trade Jay to Det or TB.

UberBroncoMan
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd give him a 2 or 3 year extension to get him comfortable with working with McDaniels again. Face it... McDaniels will never let up so the only way out of this is either trading Cutler and going back to the days of Griese and Plummer or locking up Cutler and enjoy having a Franchise QB.

It's nice to know that you're not going to waist draft picks on a QB in the future, as so many teams without a long-term solution at QB have been doing for years.

The way I see it McTard was willing to take on a freaking QB franchise tag over Cutler's $1 mill cap this year. Since money isn't an issue might as well give some up. Just imagine how limited we'd be in signings if we had gotten Cassel's cap hit... ugh.

RaiderH8r
03-19-2009, 12:12 PM

This is why Jay needs more cashiola.

Northman
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Jay has talent but his mentality is what is hurting his stock right now. Im not sure i would be all gung-ho about extending or reworking his contract until i see him sack up and get his head back in the game.

Pontius Pirate
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, by all means, give him more money when he has made it clear it's not at all about the money.

UberBroncoMan
03-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes, by all means, give him more money when he has made it clear it's not at all about the money.

Actually an extension isn't so much about money as it is basically showing a commitment towards keeping a player from a team. If he got an extension it would basically mean that the Broncos intend to go into the future with Jay at QB.

Spider
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
**** him .....

maher_tyler
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I dont think he's earned a new contract or an extension of his current deal, but if it happens it happens.

:Broncos:

It'll most likely be the only way he stays...

Pontius Pirate
03-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Actually an extension isn't so much about money as it is basically showing a commitment towards keeping a player from a team. If he got an extension it would basically mean that the Broncos intend to go into the future with Jay at QB.

Jay - I don't like how you've treated me, I'm outta here
Pat - Well, we have you under contract
Jay - I don't care, I want out
Pat - How about we make that contract longer

???

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't give my daughter gifts when she acts up, I correct her and level punishment should it be neccessary. McDaniels and Pat don't need this headache in their life...if they did why would they pay more money to prlong the pain and feel worse about themselves. Just make the trade and be done with it.

2KBack
03-19-2009, 03:34 PM

this keeps coming up.

Jay Cutler: 6 years 48 million dollars 15 million signing bonus
Chris Simms: 2 years 6 million dollars, 1.5 million bonus

Who get's paid more again?

Ratboy
03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I wonder what the players are thinking? You have a 25 year old Pro Bowl QB, your Franchise QB and willing to trade him?

They won't give a contract to the franchise QB, why would they give one to anyone else?

2KBack
03-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I wonder what the players are thinking? You have a 25 year old Pro Bowl QB, your Franchise QB and willing to trade him?

They won't give a contract to the franchise QB, why would they give one to anyone else?

I hope they all know that you they can't play half their contract and then make a power play for more money. Especially with an entire new coaching staff that has never worked with them before.

rastaman
03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't give my daughter gifts when she acts up, I correct her and level punishment should it be neccessary. McDaniels and Pat don't need this headache in their life...if they did why would they pay more money to prlong the pain and feel worse about themselves. Just make the trade and be done with it.

Your daughter is not a professional athlete making millions of dollars per year! You are comparing Apples and Oranges.

rastaman
03-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Seems like McDanies and Bowlen are breaking their necks to usher in a "Babe Ruth like curse" on the fans and the Bronco organization.

Broncojef
03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Your daughter is not a professional athlete making millions of dollars per year! You are comparing Apples and Oranges.

Jay is and has acted ridiculous towards the organization and to his bosses why in the world would they reward him with a bigger contract and hope to keep him around. If his whiny arrogant ass wins this little go round McDaniels will never have control of this team and he'll act the fool whenever he feels like it. I'd rather they cut him off, make an example to the rest of the guys who really want to be here that everyone is expendable and no one is above the team. by the way my daughter at 11 acts better than Cutler and its probably cause neither her Mom or I would put up with whining and insubordination on the level Cutler operates on.

DBroncos4life
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Git er done

Bronx33
03-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Jay has talent but his mentality is what is hurting his stock right now. Im not sure i would be all gung-ho about extending or reworking his contract until i see him sack up and get his head back in the game.

Great point iam kinda learning towards the wait and see method instead of the poor and dump alot of cash on him and hope it works method, i really have doubts about cutlers level of maturity and how it can effect games and will he ever grow out of it? all i know is no matter where he goes he has raised the stakes up and fans expectations to an huge level ( he just might crack under that kinda pressure).

DBroncos4life
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Do you know how much teams make in jersey sales? Who in the right mind is going to spend more money on team jersey's when fans don't know if the players are going to be here more then a year.

Man-Goblin
03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

The problem is it shows that your front office is weak. It doesn't just involve the absolute best players on your team; it involves every player.

For example, lets say Ryan Harris has another great year. What if all of a sudden he starts complaining about one of his coaches (warranted or not) and angrily puts his foot down and wants a trade. And guess what, the only way to make him happy is to make him one of the highest paid right tackles in the game (I'm not saying Harris would do this; it's just an example). Do you do it? Do you pay a guy, who has a contract relatively cheap for the next couple years, a king's ransom because he's raising a fuss?

The precedent is you give in and pay him, and eventually the rest of the league has a huge comparitive advantage over your franchise because they actually have young players who play out their contracts before getting extensions.

Agents would circle like sharks around that notion.

Rock Chalk
03-19-2009, 05:42 PM

Its not that they wont. Its the manner in which Jay is handling it. If Jay came in this year and wrecked shop, you dont think the Broncos would rework this contract long term big money? I think they would. However, when you have whiny little bitch that wont work with the new regime at all, refuses to answer phone calls and pouts to the media, thats an entirely different situation and not only do I think the players see this, they understand what is going on.

Too bad so many fans dont.

WABronco
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM

Cutler has probably already made 50 times what Simms has or ever will.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
no doubt ...

F this up and we could end up the L.A. Sharks ...

i think if Jay is let go through a trade we end up like the Colts after they traded away Elway. Elway got traded in 83 and it took them until 99 to finally get a good guy under center.

i could see us letting Jay go and getting Quinn, or Cassel, or Simms this year and a rookie groomed this draft or next and then watching guy after guy fail, and this team become a doormat and joke in the NFL, waiting for the guy to come along again.

it took Shanahan almost a decade to get it right with a QB. he is an offensive genius and it took him 3 tries to find the guy after Elway. keep in mind that his eye for QB talent is more advanced than most coaches and you can say it will take other coaches longer to find a guy than it did for Mike.

and considering we have the guy, that is only going to get better, i don't want to see this franchise **** that up to satisfy the ego or stupidity of a 1st year HC with less than 3 months experience in his job.

give him his money and put in a no-trade clause. supposedly McDaniels, Bowlen and Xanders have told Jay he is the man, if that is true, give him his money and a no trade clause and end this bull****.

if not just for the well being of the team, but to keep the fans happy. Denver Broncos fans don't want to watch QB controversies and a revolving door at the position after watching Elway for 16 years and waiting almost a decade to find a successor and to finally have that guy just to let him walk over something this stupid.

it will be a damn shame to see the last 3 years of Shanahan's work on the offense go out the window when that group was so close to being one of the best offenses in the league.

also, with McDaniels whole sales pitch to these veterans he brought in about how he is building a team to win now, will be proven as bull**** without Jay. because this teams best chance of winning now, is with Jay under center.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 01:02 AM

Elway's mentality as a young player was questioned. he was seen as a big baby over the situation with the Colts(i won't play here, i'll just play baseball). Eli Manning was the same way(i won't play for SD, so they better not draft me)

both of those guys were seen as little whiny b****es without the appropriate mentality for a QB, but after a few years to mature, and grow as a player and realize how the league works, they grew up.

yes Jay is being immature, but he is still only a 25 year old guy. if he was in his 30's and being a baby it is a different thing, but he is 25 and feels he was wronged.

also, consider for the last 2 and a half years he has done everything he can to help this team, pushed off money to help the team now, he has carried the team for his entire career, and now that he is about to get some help and finally breakout, he was subject to talks of being tossed aside after doing everything he could for the good of the team.

in every thing i have seen or read from this situation, it isn't Jay angling for more money(because he has a better chance of making more money after a couple more years than he will get right now) it is about him wanting the team to be straight with him and show they want him here.

so far all he has gotten is more words(which McDaniels showed to be meaningless). McDaniels, Bowlen and Xanders have all said he is the man in Denver, then prove it. restucture his current deal, and add a no-trade clause to it and guarantee the roster bonuses he is due the next few seasons and show him that everything these guys are spouting on about is true and end this **** now.

it proves he is here to stay, and that he is wanted, without having to give him a mega deal right now. it simply gives him the money he was going to get anyway and peace of mind

Broncoman13
03-20-2009, 06:10 AM
i think if Jay is let go through a trade we end up like the Colts after they traded away Elway. Elway got traded in 83 and it took them until 99 to finally get a good guy under center.

i could see us letting Jay go and getting Quinn, or Cassel, or Simms this year and a rookie groomed this draft or next and then watching guy after guy fail, and this team become a doormat and joke in the NFL, waiting for the guy to come along again.

it took Shanahan almost a decade to get it right with a QB. he is an offensive genius and it took him 3 tries to find the guy after Elway. keep in mind that his eye for QB talent is more advanced than most coaches and you can say it will take other coaches longer to find a guy than it did for Mike.

and considering we have the guy, that is only going to get better, i don't want to see this franchise **** that up to satisfy the ego or stupidity of a 1st year HC with less than 3 months experience in his job.

give him his money and put in a no-trade clause. supposedly McDaniels, Bowlen and Xanders have told Jay he is the man, if that is true, give him his money and a no trade clause and end this bull****.

if not just for the well being of the team, but to keep the fans happy. Denver Broncos fans don't want to watch QB controversies and a revolving door at the position after watching Elway for 16 years and waiting almost a decade to find a successor and to finally have that guy just to let him walk over something this stupid.

it will be a damn shame to see the last 3 years of Shanahan's work on the offense go out the window when that group was so close to being one of the best offenses in the league.

also, with McDaniels whole sales pitch to these veterans he brought in about how he is building a team to win now, will be proven as bull**** without Jay. because this teams best chance of winning now, is with Jay under center.

Or it could be like the Chargers trading Eli away b/c he didn't want to play in SD. They ended up with Philip Rivers and (pretty sure) Shawn Merriman was a part of that trade as well.

So, potentially we could end up with a Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers, Brian Orakpo type of exchange for Philip Rivers. Hmmmmm, maybe that's not so bad after all.

I'm not a staunch supporter of trading Cutler. He's a known commodity. Put some defense around him and be real with him in that he doesn't have to take risks anymore and he'll be a .750 QB.

The best thing about Rothlisberger is that he wins games. A big part of that is his understanding of his environment. Not nearly as talented as Elway, but like Elway he knows when to let it hang and make that all important drive... the rest of the game he just takes what is there. Good Ben does anyhow. Cutler will get to that point, but he needs to be coached up (McD can certainly do that!) and he has to see the defense play their part.

13-1 when the team gives up 21 points or less. 13 teams averaged less than 21 points per game last year. 23 points per game and you have 21 teams in the NFL that averaged that last year. Cutler will be very successful in this league. Up to McD to fix this now.

ELEVATION
03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
i would be stoked if he got an extension....becasue he would still be in denver winning games with a better defense than last year....

Mogulseeker
03-20-2009, 06:50 AM

Problem solved.

I cannot access youtube at work, but I'm assuming that's T-Pain...

**** land, I'm on a boat, muther****er
**** trees, I climb buoys, muther****er
I'm on the deck with my BOYS, muther****er
The boat engine make noise, MUTHER****A

Ohhhh yeah,
I never thought I'd be on a boat,
It's a big blue watery road,
Poseidon, look at me-e-e, woah-oh-ohhh-ooo-oh-oh
I never thought I'd see the day,
A big boat comin' my way,
Believe me when I say-ee-yay
I ****ed a mermai-ee-ay-ee-aid

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-20-2009, 06:53 AM

I get all of that, but if it really isn't about the money, as many Jay fans claim, and if it really IS about showing loyalty, a no-trade clause this year, signed by Bowlen and McD and Bus and Cutler SHOULD BE the end of this whole mess.

It's not hard to figure out. Unless McDaniels has already offered to Bus/Jay and they turned it down; hard to say at this point.

And if they have turned it down, or if they will turn it down, **** THEM, JAY IS UNDER CONTRACT, WE WILL RENEGOTIATE NEXT OFF SEASON. Don't want to play? Feel free to sit for three years and watch your value plummet.

bpc
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I'd be all for resigning him. In fact, i'm in favor of it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Or it could be like the Chargers trading Eli away b/c he didn't want to play in SD. They ended up with Philip Rivers and (pretty sure) Shawn Merriman was a part of that trade as well.

So, potentially we could end up with a Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers, Brian Orakpo type of exchange for Philip Rivers. Hmmmmm, maybe that's not so bad after all. .

ok, i understand your assesment of the possibilities of trading Jay based on the SD experience. However, unlike SD at the time, we don't have a good veteran QB who can hold down the offense for a couple of seasons until a rookie is up to speed and ready to take over. Right now there is no chance in hell Rivers is as good as he is right now, had he not sat out a couple of seasons before finally getting on the field. Also with the draft, who is to say that Orakpo goes the way of Merriman, he may end up this season's Jarvis Moss. So while it is possible we end up with Brady Quinn, Rogers and a young Merriman type in exchange for Jay, it is more likely we get Quinn and he is a ****ty QB, Rogers fails to live up to expectations, and the draft pick we get is a bust

I'm not a staunch supporter of trading Cutler. He's a known commodity. Put some defense around him and be real with him in that he doesn't have to take risks anymore and he'll be a .750 QB.

The best thing about Rothlisberger is that he wins games. A big part of that is his understanding of his environment. Not nearly as talented as Elway, but like Elway he knows when to let it hang and make that all important drive... the rest of the game he just takes what is there. Good Ben does anyhow. Cutler will get to that point, but he needs to be coached up (McD can certainly do that!) and he has to see the defense play their part.

13-1 when the team gives up 21 points or less. 13 teams averaged less than 21 points per game last year. 23 points per game and you have 21 teams in the NFL that averaged that last year. Cutler will be very successful in this league. Up to McD to fix this now.

on this part, i think Jay could be better than Ben if he had even marginal help. People continually bring up that Ben plays safe until the ends of games and then goes out and wins them. But when your defense is only allowing 14 a game, you can play conservative and keep the game close til the end and then unleash the QB and let him do his thing(Reeves did it with Elway for years) for Jay, he is playing on a team with a defense continually yielding 28+ points a game, so just to keep the game close enough that at the end of the game he has a chance to win, he has to play loose and maybe even a little reckless at times.

Get the guy a little help, not even Pittsburgh defensive awesomeness help, just mediocre defense and Jay will win a lot of games, and his number of mistakes will drop.