PDA

View Full Version : Woody's mailbag Why Cutler should not be called a whiner (different article)

DeusExManning
03-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Denver Post sports columnist Woody Paige posts Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

Drop a question into Woody's Mailbag, or visit The Denver Post's Sports Page. Also, browse the archive of videos in Woody's World.

Attention, Kmart shoppers. Let's address the Josh McDaniels-Jay Cutler matter, because I've gotten thousands of e-mails and comments on it, and it's the biggest story in Denver. Let me just take care of it right here and deal with some of the issues brought up by readers.

I get these he's-a-poor-whining-crybaby statements and questions. "He should shut up. He makes a lot of money."

I have a real problem here. I've had two jobs in my life from which I tried to walk away because I didn't want to work for my boss. It had nothing to do with money. It had to do with how we are treated, or even how we perceive we are treated.

Let's say you have a job that pays $25,000, and your boss wants to send you to Detroit to worse working conditions, and your boss lied to you, and his bosses aren't on your side, and you know the boss will continue to try to get rid of you. Are you a whining baby or a human being? What if someone who makes $12,000 says: "You make a lot of money. Shut up and take it." What would be your response?

I once told someone close to me I was quitting a very lucrative position -- not with my current employers -- because I was being disrespected, lied to and was not allowed to do what was in my (contractual) agreement, and they wanted to get rid of me, and I was miserable. "What about a man who has a family? He couldn't do that."

I was supporting three people at the time, and they were important to me, and I was determined I would find another job somewhere,
The Patriot Way is alive and well here alongside the Rocky Mountains. If that weren't already obvious with new coach Josh McDaniels, left, having signed three former Patriots since free agency started, it is clear in the way the new coach is handling his feud with quarterback Jay Cutler, right.
somehow, and borrow money, or do whatever was necessary to get out of that situation. It doesn't matter whether you make $1 million or $1. We want to be respected, loved even, but we don't want to be lied to. So don't give me that garbage about how Cutler is whining, and he should shut up and play quarterback where he has been disrespected, lied to and lost two bosses that liked him, and where he obviously was unwanted.

So, blame it on Cutler if you want. But McDaniels said he had no intention of trading Cutler. Yet, he told a national columnist a few days ago, and I quote, "We were late to the dance." He was trying to get Matt Cassel. Maybe Cassel would be better for him, but he should have been honest with Cutler at that moment, right after Cutler was in town studying the new playbook, but he has that New England Patriots attitude.

I don't think either should go. McDaniels, the GM (whoever he is) and Pat Bowlen should have gotten on a plane, gone to Nashville, Tenn., and groveled. Bowlen said a few weeks ago, and I quote, "Obviously he (Cutler) is the man around here." Suddenly, he no longer is "the man," he's not any kind of man to the Broncos' new regime.

Cutler probably should give in, as another quarterback has told me, and realize it's a business. Well, no business should treat the employees that way. Some people just want to throw Cutler to Detroit for revenge. Many others say get rid of him, and don't even care if the Broncos get a quarterback in return.
Woody Paige

Has anybody examined Chris Simms' background in Tampa Bay? I haven't heard anyone here call him a whining crybaby. I will have some information on his situation with the Bucs after he lost his spleen and how he was treated in my column on Sunday.

What about Bowlen? Totally messed this up.

Bus Cook, the gnarly agent for Cutler. Totally messed this up.

All four (and, I suppose, the general manager) have handled the entire matter so poorly, and it's easy to say a pox on all their houses. But work it out. Stop being the man who has the biggest ego. This country has battled other countries, and, in the end, you do what's best for everybody. John Kennedy demanded that the Soviet Union back down. What he also did quietly was agree to take the missiles and troops out of Turkey. Compromise. The Broncos don't need this. Their fans don't want this. Nobody can be happy.

Except somewhere, Mike Shanahan is smiling.

Spider
03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Trading is part of the game ....... Cutler took it personal , but no reason to go back on his word , what Cutler should have done is marched right past the Secretary, marched right into McD office and say , you got some explaining to do , and if I dont like your answer , you got an ass whipping coming .........

OBF1
03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
quit crying Spider, its not becoming on you at all.

DeusExManning
03-19-2009, 12:52 AM
F Mcdaniels, seriously, he cannot evaluate talent, that is what all of this proves. The Broncos will lose a lot of money if they trade cutler. **** you all.

DeusExManning
03-19-2009, 12:55 AM
I have often been perturbed by Woody's articles. I actually think he played a role in Shanny's firing. But lately his writing has been excellent.

OBF1
03-19-2009, 01:06 AM
You are out of your damn mind Deus.

DeusExManning
03-19-2009, 01:12 AM
You are out of your damn mind Deus.

because I am saying Woody's writing has been excellent?

DeusExManning
03-19-2009, 01:17 AM
Shanny got fired right after Woody wrote an article about how much of a pussy Bowlen was with Shanny. Bowlen's comments towards Shanny made me think that.

DeusExManning
03-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I really think Woody has Bowlens ear. Not in that they talk but Bowlen respects Wood's opinion.

BroncoMan4ever
03-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Trading is part of the game ....... Cutler took it personal , but no reason to go back on his word , what Cutler should have done is marched right past the Secretary, marched right into McD office and say , you got some explaining to do , and if I dont like your answer , you got an ass whipping coming .........

i nominate you to be Cutler's new agent. i can see the negotiations now.

"10 million a year? why you lowballing us Pat?" followed by a throat punch and a new deal for 15 million a year

Spider
03-19-2009, 02:27 AM

;D I know

Taco John
03-19-2009, 02:28 AM
I think Woody's take on this is right - but he's getting what he called for when he dared Bowlen to fire Mike Shanahan square in the middle of a rebuild.

Spider
03-19-2009, 02:32 AM
i nominate you to be Cutler's new agent. i can see the negotiations now.

"10 million a year? why you lowballing us Pat?" followed by a throat punch and a new deal for 15 million a year

;D if I was a lawyer I would want ot be this guy ..........
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tujG18mqiVk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tujG18mqiVk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fontaine
03-19-2009, 03:49 AM
It's pretty much how I view it as well.

This thing is spiralling into a ego clash and that's the last thing we need. Both sides need to show some restraint and get on with it.

watermock
03-19-2009, 04:50 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6DCW_Yoy5Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6DCW_Yoy5Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anything is possible.

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 04:50 AM

Whatever. I'm gonna becoming all over him.

Spider
03-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Whatever. I'm gonna becoming all over him.

WTF are you yapping about ?

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 08:09 AM
WTF are you yapping about ?

Open wide.

Spider
03-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Open wide.

got some sugar in your tank hey ? not that there is anything wrong with that of course ......I dont blame you for having a man crush on me , I am pretty awesome , but maybe Chief fan Bob will hook up with you .........

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 08:31 AM
...and I'm spent. Here's a wash cloth.

lostknight
03-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Trading is part of the game ....... Cutler took it personal , .

Cutler took being lied to and about seriously. I would too.

Spider
03-19-2009, 09:07 AM
...and I'm spent. Here's a wash cloth.
you need it more for your keyboard ........

Spider
03-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Cutler took being lied to and about seriously. I would too.

yeah so ? .........

colonelbeef
03-19-2009, 09:49 AM
It's pretty much how I view it as well.

This thing is spiralling into a ego clash and that's the last thing we need. Both sides need to show some restraint and get on with it.

this.