PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler ... the story that just won't go away

Broncobuddy7
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/18/snap.judgments/index.html?eref=T1

by Don Banks

Took a trip around the internet Wednesday morning, and here's what I found: This Jay Cutler story really has legs, as we say in our business.

Talk about an issue having tentacles in a lot of different directions. The Cutler saga is dominating the discussion in the NFL to such a degree right now that I'm almost feel sorry for Terrell Owens. Nobody's even talking about the poor guy. His jump to Buffalo is so yesterday that it might as well have occurred in 2006. Maybe things would perk up if he demanded a trade.

The top three most popular questions in the NFL today are who's going to trade for Cutler, what should Denver do with Cutler, and why is it that AIG thinks it can get away with paying Cutler a bonus? OK, I made that last one up, but give it two days and somebody will run with it.

Here's just a sampling of what I read about Wednesday:

• The Dallas Morning News shooting down a notion that has taken on a life of its own on Cowboys blogs: Trading Tony Romo for Cutler straight up. No word on whether Jessica Simpson goes too.

• Various outlets pooh-poohing the idea that a Cutler for Donovan McNabb trade makes sense in Philadelphia. It has been correctly noted that the thin-skinned Cutler might just get his feelings roughed up a bit in a town of Philly's ilk.

• Redskins personnel executive Vinny Cerrato re-affirming that Jason Campbell is the team's starting quarterback and that Washington has no interest in trading for Cutler.

• The Bears starter Kyle Orton saying he's unfazed by rumors that Chicago might be interested in trading for Cutler.

• Lions general manager Martin Mayhew refusing to address the issue of whether Detroit will attempt to trade for you-know-who for the second time this offseason.

• Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer responding to questions from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about whether Cutler would represent an upgrade at the position for the Vikings. His take? Not really.

• The Tampa Tribune warning that acquiring Cutler -- the Bucs too already tried to trade for him earlier this offseason -- may not be a move worth making.

• The Tennessean of Nashville making the case that the Titans missed out on drafting Cutler over Vince Young in 2006, and have a rare opportunity to correct that mistake.

• Texans fans wanting their team to trade for Cutler as a replacement for the injury-prone Matt Schaub, but the Houston Chronicle reporting that J.C. won't be playing for ex-Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak any time soon.

• In Cleveland, the Plain-Dealer saying a three-way deal that involves the Browns shipping quarterback Brady Quinn away to Denver in exchange for a draft pick or picks -- with Cutler going to the third team in the deal -- makes the most sense for Cleveland's muddled QB situation.

• Former Jets quarterback and current CBS NFL analyst Boomer Esiason makings no bones about it, telling the New York Post that the Jets should go "guns a-blazing and try to get'' Cutler in a trade.

• Newspapers in South Florida weighing in on the side of the Dolphins needing to think long and hard about opting for a trade for Cutler over the combination of Chad Henne's future and Chad Pennington's present.

• And fan blogs in places like Buffalo, Jacksonville and Arizona brimming with dreams of trading the likes of Trent Edwards, David Garrard or Matt Leinart for Cutler.

Indeed, Cutler has become the all-purpose savior of choice among teams not making the playoffs last season. And quite a few that did. Best I can tell, the only teams or fan bases that have absolutely no interest in acquiring Cutler are Indianapolis (which is a pity, since Cutler was born in Santa Claus, Ind.), New England (the Pats have a guy coming off knee surgery who they think could be pretty good), and maybe assorted recent Super Bowl winners like Pittsburgh and the Giants. But that's about it.

And I don't know about you, but my sense is that Cutler-gate isn't going away for a while yet. For a guy with a 17-20 career record as an NFL starter, who's still waiting to make his first playoff appearance, there certainly seems to be a lot to talk about.

BroncoLifer
03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/18/snap.judgments/index.html?eref=T1

• Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer responding to questions from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about whether Cutler would represent an upgrade at the position for the Vikings. His take? Not really.

WTF???

Popps
03-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer responding to questions from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about whether Cutler would represent an upgrade at the position for the Vikings. His take? Not really.

WTF!?

Cutler has me pissed off, but that's insanity. I'd need to hear his explanation, but that's utter insanity. Jackson has to be the worst starting QB in the league. That guy is ****ing horrific. Honestly, Chris Simms would be a massive upgrade over that guy, much less Cutler.

Jay could play with a rattle in one hand, his blankie in the other, make messy in his diaper and STILL play circles around that stiff up in Minnesota.

That's the team I can't wrap my head around. Great D, great running game... ****-can QB, a chance to upgrade to a quality (skills) QB, and just no interest?!?

OBF1
03-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Minnesota does not have enough picks to trade with, Next

Popps
03-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Minnesota does not have enough picks to trade with, Next

Even next year? Player, 2/3 this year, 1 next year? Something along those lines?

BroncoLifer
03-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Vikings have traded this year's 4th and 6th -- they still have all of the rest.

Old No. 7
03-19-2009, 12:09 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/cutlerdouche.jpg

Mogulseeker
03-19-2009, 06:03 AM
The story won't go away until

a. The season starts and Jay plays
b. Jay gets traded
c. Jay gets a new contract

TonyR
03-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer responding to questions from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about whether Cutler would represent an upgrade at the position for the Vikings. His take? Not really.

WTF!?

"What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff," Dilfer said. "It's the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations.

''I think that Sage, Tarvaris and Jay Cutler are all in the same boat in that sense. None have proven they can do it a high level consistently. I don't think because Cutler is a marquee name that he brings you any more quality in those situations."

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2009/3/19/803074/trent-dilfer-might-be-on-t

supermanhr9
03-19-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm pumped to see what happens

crazyhorse
03-19-2009, 06:15 AM

WTF!?

Cutler has me pissed off, but that's insanity. I'd need to hear his explanation, but that's utter insanity. Jackson has to be the worst starting QB in the league. That guy is ****ing horrific. Honestly, Chris Simms would be a massive upgrade over that guy, much less Cutler.

Jay could play with a rattle in one hand, his blankie in the other, make messy in his diaper and STILL play circles around that stiff up in Minnesota.

That's the team I can't wrap my head around. Great D, great running game... ****-can QB, a chance to upgrade to a quality (skills) QB, and just no interest?!?

There is likely interest in upgrading the QB situation there. But probably not interested in the malcontention going on right now in Denver. That could be the only reason for his stance, IMO.

As you stated, they are a player away from contention. Blowing up the team right now with a potential locker room cancer would be a poor investment.

TonyR
03-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Q. What are your thoughts on Cutler in Minnesota?

A. “I would think it would be a sexy acquisition. I definitely think if you’re a Vikings fan and you’re starving for a marquee name at the quarterback position, Cutler is one of those young guns out there that brings great name recognition from the get go. So from a public relations standpoint, it would be a nice move. But I don’t think football wise it would add that much. I believe Jay Cutler is one of the top 12 quarterbacks in the NFL, but I would not put him in the top eight. He has a lot more to prove.

“That being said, when you have a dominant run game as the Vikings do with Adrian Peterson, you are going to have a lot of vertical passing chances throughout the game. That’s obviously his strength. His strength is play set-up off play action and his ability to put the ball down field. So from a schematical standpoint it does add another dimension to the offense that Sage [Rosenfels] or Tarvaris [Jackson] doesn’t necessarily bring from day one. But I don’t know if he’s any better than Sage at moving the ball down the field and playing on the critical downs.”

Q. So you aren’t that sold on Cutler?

A. “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations. I think that Sage, Tarvaris and Jay Cutler are all in the same boat in that sense. None have proven they can do it a high level consistently. I don’t think because Cutler is a marquee name that he brings you anymore quality in those situations. That’s where he’s unproven and why I don’t feel the Broncos are crazy [in how they’ve handled things]. They are not. Cutler is still unproven in some of the situations that end up winning or losing [games for you].”

Q. Are you comfortable with the Vikings having Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson battle for the starting spot?

A. “My feeling about the quarterback situation in Minnesota is I think competition is good. I’m one of the few guys who doesn’t have a problem with what they’re doing. Their team is built from the inside out both on the defensive and offensive side. That works. It worked for the Steelers, it worked for the Ravens, it worked for other teams. … I think if the quarterback understands, whoever wins the job, that he has to play critical downs better that is the key. It’s not about first and second down all the time. You have to make sure you’re playing well on third down and capitalize on red-zone opportunities. If the quarterback has that perspective on it, the Vikings are definitely Super Bowl contenders. Now, if the quarterback thinks that this is an opportunity to throw for 3,500 yards and have a 100 quarterback rating and takes the chances that you have to take to get to that spot, then the Vikings are going to be in the same boat they have been the last couple of years.”

Q. Do you feel the way Cutler has handled this situation has hurt him with other teams that might have been interested?

A. “This is not a glamorous answer but it doesn’t matter until the season starts. He has shown some hyper-sensitivity to being wanted and feels like he needs to be the guy and that makes you question if he has the mentality of wanting to earn everything he gets or wants it given to him. But, once again, it doesn’t matter if he goes out and plays at a high level. Then all of that goes away very quickly. He has the ability to erase any negative feelings about this situation by his performance.”

Q. What do you think it would take to get Cutler in trade?

A. “That’s hard because if you’re the Broncos you have to identify, ‘What do the Vikings have that meets our immediate needs and contractually we don’t have to make a huge investment?’ I would say [Chad] Greenway is a comparable football player to Jay Cutler. He’s a young rising star, a good football player but do they have that need? What is his contract status? So many things come into play.”

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2638?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL 7PQLanchO7DiUr

DrFate
03-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I thought Cutler had one of the highest 3rd down success rates in the league?

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2009, 06:30 AM
I thought Cutler had one of the highest 3rd down success rates in the league?

He does

TheReverend
03-19-2009, 06:49 AM
I find it hard to believe a franchise QB like Trent Dilfer would be partial to a bunch of Journeyman QBs like Sage and Tavaris.

....oh wait.

lostknight
03-19-2009, 06:56 AM
This story has legs because of the unbelivable stupidity of the Bronco's front office.

Can we just get a no-trade clause out there now, and be done with the speculation. Even McDaniel's cant think this is still a good idea.

broncofan
03-19-2009, 07:04 AM
I find it hard to believe a franchise QB like Trent Dilfer would be partial to a bunch of Journeyman QBs like Sage and Tavaris.

....oh wait.

Who knows what Trent is thinking. He also said on Sportscenter yesterday that Jay wouldn't be an upgrade in Cleveland either, stating that he and Derek Anderson are basically the same player.

Rohirrim
03-19-2009, 07:26 AM
And I don't know about you, but my sense is that Cutler-gate isn't going away for a while yet. For a guy with a 17-20 career record as an NFL starter, who's still waiting to make his first playoff appearance, there certainly seems to be a lot to talk about.

Ain't that the schnizzle? Ha!

outdoor_miner
03-19-2009, 07:32 AM
"What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff," Dilfer said. "It's the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations.

''I think that Sage, Tarvaris and Jay Cutler are all in the same boat in that sense. None have proven they can do it a high level consistently. I don't think because Cutler is a marquee name that he brings you any more quality in those situations."

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2009/3/19/803074/trent-dilfer-might-be-on-t

LOL - wow... No one could manage a game like Dilfer. No one. And he knows it. When you're the best, you expect the best.

Rohirrim
03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Interesting that Kubes has a beat up, unreliable QB down in Houston but he's not even putting his team in the picture for Cutler. Why? Maybe he got a phone call from his old buddy Mike from a sportfishing boat down in the Pacific telling him, "Gary. You don't want this kid. He's a head case. Hey! I caught another tuna!" ;D

BroncoLifer
03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
LOL - wow... No one could manage a game like Dilfer. No one. And he knows it. When you're the best, you expect the best.

Yeah, the lesson here is: Consider the source.