PDA

View Full Version : Don't Rule out the Titans

cutlerfan
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090318/COLUMNIST0202/903180419

The analysts have piled up reasons the Titans will not trade for Jay Cutler.

NFL insiders point to the salary cap and the re-signing of Kerry Collins as insurmountable barriers.

The vibes out of Baptist Sports Park indicate a stay-the-course attitude, not a major shift in the team's direction.

In short: no way.

My suggestion: Find a way to make it happen.

The NFL rarely permits a do-over, an opportunity to go back and correct an error — even if the cost is significant.

Right now, the Titans have exactly that chance. In 2006, they misread the data, ignored a collective gut feeling among coaches and scouts, and drafted Vince Young with the No. 3 pick.

They could have traded down and still drafted Cutler anywhere in the top 10. He wound up going at No. 11 to Denver. Meanwhile, Bud Adams and the Titans got V.Y. And that is going to end badly, if it already hasn't.

So here is Cutler, a proven NFL quarterback after just three seasons, a player entering his prime.

And he is available if you're willing to go against the conservative, by-the-numbers philosophy of this organization and think outside the box for a change.

I know, I know. The Titans have a plan. Don't they always?

Collins is under contract and has been promised he is the starting quarterback in '09. The owner remains blindly loyal to Young. Draft choices and young defensive talent, the very cornerstones of Titans football, are too cherished to sacrifice.

Just for the sake of argument, what would it take to get Cutler? There aren't many precedents. Proven quarterbacks of any age are seldom traded these days. Why? Because they're too darn valuable.

Would a first-round pick — the No. 30 spot in the draft — suffice? Could the deal be sweetened with, say, a second-round pick in 2010 unless you're determined to spend it on another LenDale White or Chris Henry? And wonder if the Broncos could use one of those young guns on defense the Titans have drafted and developed?

Get a grip, Titans. If you look outside your own walls, you will see that the modern-day NFL is a quarterback's league. Sure, there are other vital components to success, but the man pulling the trigger can overcome myriad shortcomings elsewhere.

Granted, Cutler isn't perfect. Sometimes he trusts his arm strength too much and throws into traffic. Even before his public battle with new Broncos Coach Josh McDaniels, he still has some growing up to do.

But the upside cannot — and should not — be ignored. This is an opportunity to upgrade the position for the next few seasons.

Take a spin around the NFL and sort through the quarterbacks. You find a hodgepodge of stars, journeymen and those who fall somewhere in between. If you're looking for the best combination of performance, experience and age, who's your pick?

I take Jay Cutler.

Right now.

tsiguy96
03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
if someone offered a first and second, id say thats what it takes to get in the door. add another first and we got a deal.

cutlerfan
03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
if someone offered a first and second, id say thats what it takes to get in the door. add another first and we got a deal.

Can we give you Vince Young too!

theAPAOps5
03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
No and he won't go there. They won't send him where he wants to go unless its a blockbuster deal.

Pseudofool
03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
If you eat the contract.

Los Broncos
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I was just thinking the same thing, but I thought Collins signed a short term deal.

Jay would be an instant upgrade.

Master___Pain
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM

You can keep Radio

cutlerfan
03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
You can keep Radio

You are making me lol :rofl:

cutlerfan
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Cortland Finnegan! Was a pro bowl Corner. He would be good for Denver!

BABronco
03-18-2009, 03:17 PM
You can keep Radio

ROFL! ROFL!

theAPAOps5
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
You can keep Radio

Best post during this whole debacle!

cutlerfan
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Best post during this whole debacle!

True!!