PDA

View Full Version : OT - Spare tire stolen from the wifes SUV

broncosteven
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
My wife had her fullsize spare stolen from her Durango AT WORK!

Anyone use any methods to lock those things up?

During the day and they have cameras in the lot with a security guard. She parks in the same spot everyday.

Just going to buy a cheap rim and tire but it still is cash we have to pop for.

mr007
03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
What does this have to do with Cutler and McDaniels?

DomCasual
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Someone needs to lose a hand.

OBF1
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
You just got my survivor vote for not talking the game or starting another cutler thread.

Bronx33
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I put a locking lugnut on my external sparetire.

Pick Six
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
The spare is safely hidden away inside the vehicle, but someone decided to slash one of my tires last week. I was mostly upset from the standpoint that I was getting ready to trade it in sometime in the next few weeks...

worm
03-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Was Tatum in Chitown?

Garcia Bronco
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM

This is the answer. I am actually suprised this wasn't already in place from the manufacturer.

broncosteven
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM

It hangs under the Durango.

They had to climb under it.

I am with Dom, the hand should go!

DomCasual
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Seriously, that took some balls. It's not like you can do that all that quickly - at least I wouldn't know how. Doesn't yours crank down from somewhere inside the car? I have to open my tailgate and use a piece of the jack to crank mine down.

broncosteven
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
You just got my survivor vote for not talking the game or starting another cutler thread.

I'll take care of it!

Bronx33
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM

It doesn't have a hole to install a padlock somewhere?

broncosteven
03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Seriously, that took some balls. It's not like you can do that all that quickly - at least I wouldn't know how. Doesn't yours crank down from somewhere inside the car? I have to open my tailgate and use a piece of the jack to crank mine down.

Dunno, I never needed it before, she thinks they broke the hanger.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I heard that there are a couple of spare tires in the weight loss thread....

DomCasual
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Dunno, I never needed it before, she thinks they broke the hanger.

I guess that's possible. It just hangs on a chain that unreels when you crank it down. Someone could probably cut the chain pretty easily, if they were motivated. I wouldn't think there's any way to secure it. You could put a lock on it, but that really wouldn't keep someone from using bolt cutters on the chain.

broncosteven
03-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I guess that's possible. It just hangs on a chain that unreels when you crank it down. Someone could probably cut the chain pretty easily, if they were motivated. I wouldn't think there's any way to secure it. You could put a lock on it, but that really wouldn't keep someone from using bolt cutters on the chain.

I am going to buy the cheapest RIM and tire we can get that will get us around in an emergency, get the bad tire fixed and put the spare back, more work but then the theif gets less dough for his trouble and maybe even passes.

lifeafter elway
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
i got a cable/lock going through the center of the rim and then around the frame on my ranger - similar to locking up a bike

edit • thought i would mention this is common in out here in california. better be careful with us all invading colorado.

Circle Orange
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
sounds like an inside job. No way could someone randomly do that unseen on a work site with cameras.

I'd VERY CAREFULLY watch similar vehicles parked on site for any unusual 'spares'.

Bronco Yoda
03-18-2009, 07:31 PM

During the day and they have cameras in the lot with a security guard. She parks in the same spot everyday.

Yikes,
I just bought the wife a limited edition last month. I haven't even really had a chance to really look it over yet all the way. I thought they had locking mechs inside in that compartment behind the third row. I gotta go check that out now!

bronco610
03-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Did you talk to the security dept. to see if they caught anything on camera?

Dudeskey
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Yeah, my wife has one too. I've had gas siphoned, never a spare tire stolen. I like Lifeafter elway's idea w/ the use of a cable lock...

GreatBronco16
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Seriously, someone stole your spare tire? Wow, man that is pretty pathetic. I too think this was an inside thing, and hell, if there is no video on it, then it very well could have been one of the security guards.

Los Broncos
03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Was is it a donut spare? if so look at Bob..

Bronco Yoda
03-18-2009, 11:10 PM
btw, if you have the entertainment package, guard them tv headphones. The kids broke one the other day. Replacements are $125 a pop!

watermock
03-18-2009, 11:15 PM
btw, if you have the entertainment package, guard them tv headphones. The kids broke one the other day. Replacements are $125 a pop!

Don't tell me they have a special jack?!

Get some at Wally World.

Dudeskey
03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Was is it a donut spare? if so look at Bob..

He said it was a full size... Most SUV's carry a full size spare

Los Broncos
03-18-2009, 11:17 PM
He said it was a full size... Most SUV's carry a full size spare

I figured that, just trying to be funny.

Dudeskey
03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I figured that, just trying to be funny.

:flush: my bad....

Los Broncos
03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
:flush: my bad....

But I'm not that funny :)

brncs_fan
03-19-2009, 05:49 AM
That will teach you to live in Chicago.

Seriously though, I bet it was a bunch of "Green" freaks trying to send a message to SUV drivers everywhere.

Circle Orange
03-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Yikes,
I just bought the wife a limited edition last month. I haven't even really had a chance to really look it over yet all the way. I thought they had locking mechs inside in that compartment behind the third row. I gotta go check that out now!

You could always put a little paint mark on the outside edge of the tire. Sometimes this discourages theft too (thieves are lazy...don't want to clean). Don't use latex, use a dye or oil base.

The real trifling crooks steal the cover and not the tire...O.o.