PDA

View Full Version : How is the WR corps looking minus Marshall?

montrose
03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
If BMarsh gets that lengthy suspension we're expecting (I'm thinking eight games), what do you guys think of the WR corps heading into the season? Bear in mind that NE's base offense was a 3WR set and they often used 4WR and 5WR sets (as an FYI, they were actually using four and five wide receivers opposed to splitting our RBs and TEs like Shanahan did). Here are the main positions as I see them:

Flanker: Jabar Gaffney
Split End: Randy Moss
Slot: Wes Welker

From our perspective, obviously Gaffney assumes his flanker position. We've all assumed Eddie Royal slides into the slot role where I think he would absolutely flourish. However, with Marshall out of action, could it be possible that Royal moves out to Split End with Brandon Stokley playing the slot? That might be a lot to ask of Stokley considering his age. Chad Jackson's the other guy in the roster who actually has experience in this system but has struggled with injuries and couldn't beat out Gaffney last year in New England. I don't know anything about the other WR's on the roster.

Do you think the Broncos need to add another WR in free agency? As an FYI, some of the free agent WR's available include Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Ike Hilliard, Ronald Curry, Mike Furrey, DJ Hackett, David Patten, Jerry Porter, Koren Robinson, Joe Jurevicius, Ashley Lelie, Dante Hall, Darrell Jackson, Keary Colbert, Brandon Lloyd and Shaun McDonald.

Would you rather wait until the draft? If so, how high is too high to draft a WR considering the needs on defense? Or do you think the WR corps is fine as is and we should simply wait out B-Marsh's suspension?

Gcver2ver3
03-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Marshall will not be suspended 8 games...

montrose
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
You did see the ESPN report where it says Marshall getting suspended is unlikely, right.

No I didn't.

theAPAOps5
03-18-2009, 09:47 AM
No I didn't.

I thought there was a thread on it but can't find it. I may be wrong and delted my post.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Crazy how much I got laughed at when I said this the day the "story" broke.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
From great to above average, really.

We know Eddie can get seperation in man coverage. We even know Eddie can get seperation when facing under/over coverage.

But without Brandon, defenses will be free to bracket Eddie instead, considering Gaffney and Stokely in the slot won't be keeping DC's up at night.

Royal's a great player, but that would probably be too much for someone of his size to even be capable of.

frerottenextelway
03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Chris Simms to Jabar Gaffney, a combo dreams are made of.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Chris Simms to Jabar Gaffney, a combo dreams are made of.

...in the CFL.

(I know that was sarcasm, just piling on with ya)

jmz313
03-18-2009, 09:52 AM
He'll get 8 games. then it will be reduced to 6. thats my guess.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
He'll get 8 games. then it will be reduced to 6. thats my guess.

You know the charges were dropped immediately, right? Seems like a real steep penalty for something that might have been nothing. You never know with the NFL nazis, but their draconian ways have come under fire lately...which leads me to believe he might just get a stern stare with gritted teeth over this.

PRBronco
03-18-2009, 10:00 AM
...in the CFL.

(I know that was sarcasm, just piling on with ya)

Pfft, I'll take Buck Pierce to Geroy Simon. Amirite guys?

...guys?

Pony Boy
03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
What is the average the average suspension for "Bitch slapping your girlfriend in public"?

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Pfft, I'll take Buck Pierce to Geroy Simon. Amirite guys?

...guys?

Happy belated birthday, man. We've got the same day.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
What is the average the average suspension for "b**** slapping your girlfriend in public"?

Under Tagliabue? Nothing. Just ask Rod Smith.

Under Goodell? 3-4 games for 0 charges...

USMCBladerunner
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I never imagined that I'd miss Dominic Hixon so much.

gyldenlove
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
4 games, reduced to 2 because the charges were dropped so fast.

I think between Royal, Gaffney and Stokley we have a trio that is not the worst in the league. We are going to miss a big physical guy, but I think we can play our way out of it, especially since it will be the first games of the season so we can game plan for it. We looked good without Marshall last year.

montrose
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I never imagined that I'd miss Dominic Hixon so much.

Thanks Shanny.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Shanny.

Yeah. He really set us up with a ****ty WR corps didn't he?

Natedogg
03-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I thought there was a thread on it but can't find it. I may be wrong and delted my post.

i saw it. just one analyst's opinion though.

montrose
03-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah. He really set us up with a ****ty WR corps didn't he?

No we've got a good one. I just think he jumped the gun a bit on cutting Hixon loose.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
No we've got a good one. I just think he jumped the gun a bit on cutting Hixon loose.

Absolutely, but that's historically inaccurate. It was an attempt to stash him back on the PS that didn't work. Should've kept him active. Didn't. Oh well. We've got Jabbar Gaffney now!!!!!!!

montrose
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Absolutely, but that's historically inaccurate. It was an attempt to stash him back on the PS that didn't work. Should've kept him active. Didn't. Oh well. We've got Jabbar Gaffney now!!!!!!!

Really? I wasn't aware that they were trying to stash him on the practice squad. What happened? New York claim him off waivers?

Per Gaffney, if he can just match his last two seasons along with helping the guys learn the offense I'd consider him a decent value.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Really? I wasn't aware that they were trying to stash him on the practice squad. What happened? New York claim him off waivers?

Per Gaffney, if he can just match his last two seasons along with helping the guys learn the offense I'd consider him a decent value.

Exactly.

montrose
03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Exactly.

Oh ok.

cdesignmaster
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
The Broncos have a stable full of RB's, who cares about the WR's when we won't have a QB to throw to them.

Killericon
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Am I the only who thinks that it was that Hixon was waiting to break out, and we traded him just before it happened...Rather, him being in a new environment lead to him breaking out?

Peoples Champ
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
8 games? Come on the charges were dropped.

montrose
03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
8 games? Come on the charges were dropped.

Wait until Goodell looks at the police report. The charges were dropped because Marshall and his fiance refused to testify against each other. That doesn't change that officers apparently say Marshall and his fiancee "hitting each other".

Throw in that this is a similar offense to what got Marshall in trouble the first time, with a different girl, and you've got a pattern. Goodell told Marshall to keep his nose clean and he didn't. Considering his hard line stance, the last thing Goodell wants to do is answer questions about a WR he let off the hook who goes Chris Brown on his girlfriend. Now that's not to say Marshall will do anything else, but Goodell's history tells us he'll come down hard.