PDA

View Full Version : Jabbar Gaffney takes a swipe at Cutler

Taco John
03-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Speaking on McDaniels:

“Just how he handles business, the way he goes about treating everybody the same. Not showing favoritism to any one player who is supposed to be, I guess, a ‘star,’” Gaffney said. “They don’t care. They want a team. A team to go out there and win. Because the individuals won’t win.”

On the other hand, Eddie Royal spoke out in favor of Cutler on 104 the Fan yesterday (Tuesday the 17th).

These are just minor signals of what is going on in the locker room right now. Whether Cutler stays or Cutler goes, the locker room is going to be split. I think it will be easier to mend the problems in the locker room without Cutler on the team, as much as I hate to say it.

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Gaffney has what is probably the overall pulse of the locker room. No one likes a guy who thinks he is above the team.

GreatBronco16
03-18-2009, 01:25 AM
What did Eddie have to say yesterday?

Taco John
03-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Gaffney has what is probably the overall pulse of the locker room. No one likes a guy who thinks he is above the team.

I've done some investigating on this very issue, as I think it's the most important one. I know that you're not going to believe it, but from what I've been told, the pulse of the locker room is largely in Jay's favor, with the exception of a handful of the defenders (including Champ, who it's said doesn't care much for Cutler), and the new guys who McDaniels brought in.

Basically the locker room is split, as anyone might be able to guess.

Taco John
03-18-2009, 01:27 AM
What did Eddie have to say yesterday?

http://fm1043thefan.com/_themes/images/header_temp.gif

Download the Eddie Royal Interview here (http://fm1043thefan.com/dynamic/podcasts/theSportsGuys/20090317EddieRoyalSGraw.mp3)

TDmvp
03-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Jabbar is so bug eyed I doubt he could pick Cutler out of a line up ...
Doubt him and Cutler have ever spoke ...

Wrs should be born with no mouths, 6 fingers and 5 balls ...
Then they would shut up , catch the ball , and not cry about going over the middle ..

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Again, people are going to read this however they want.

I can believe the locker room is split, to an extent. I will say, this is the second person who's spoken publicly (player) and shown a little distaste for Cutler's actions through their words. (However tactful it may have been.)

Those dudes in the locker room are just people. So, varying opinion is to be expected, but I'll tell you what.. the more this goes on, the more this grates on people, and those on the fence are going to grow very tired of a prima donna who doesn't want to play with them commanding all of this attention.
You can already feel that in some of the comments of players who have NOT spoken on this situation.

The longer this goes, the more players in that locker room are going to realize Jay Cutler has deserted them... and they're left to make the best situation of what they have. Human nature is going to leave a lot, if not most of these guys bitter at Cutler, imo... and MIGHT even light a little extra fire under them to prove something without Jay this season.

Mark my words, you WILL hear a player at some point this season reference the fact that the world was writing them off without Cutler. Guarantee you... that's not sitting well.

GreatBronco16
03-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks. It will have to wait till I'm not at work. Damn company blocks damn near everything.

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
I've done some investigating on this very issue, as I think it's the most important one. I know that you're not going to believe it, but from what I've been told, the pulse of the locker room is largely in Jay's favor, with the exception of a handful of the defenders (including Champ, who it's said doesn't care much for Cutler), and the new guys who McDaniels brought in.

OK, I can buy that overall opinion may be split FOR NOW, but I'm fairly confident that as this progress that players will get tired of hearing about Jay Cutler and how much they need him.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 01:36 AM

Um... Gaffney is a newcomer to the Bronco locker room and has yet to even meet Jay Cutler as a teammate.....

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:36 AM

Then they would shut up , catch the ball , and not cry about going over the middle ..

Nah, Jabbar Gaffney just knows what a real star looks like, that's all. He also knows how they act.

Crying? He's just calling them like he sees them. This guy understands the TEAM concept. You can hear it in every word he speaks. Come to think of it, you can hear it in pretty much anyone's words who's come from that culture of winning in NE.

So, you can continue to shoot the messenger, but this litany of pros are calling Cutler out for a reason.

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Um... Gaffney is a newcomer to the Bronco locker room and has yet to even meet Jay Cutler as a teammate.....

Yea, well... that's because Jay didn't get a treat in his Happy Meal and is taking a time-out. (Permanently.)

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Yea, well... that's because Jay didn't get a treat in his Happy Meal and is taking a time-out. (Permanently.)

So after what? 2 days in Dove Valley, Gaffney's suddenly an expert on the consensus of opinion in the locker room? ??? I'd say NOT...

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 01:41 AM

Yeah, but Jabbar has played with an ACTUAL franchise QB, not a faux franchise QB, so I suspect he knows pretty well what to look for in a leader.

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:45 AM
So after what? 2 days in Dove Valley, Gaffney's suddenly an expert on the consensus of opinion in the locker room? ??? I'd say NOT...

That's weird, I didn't read that he said that in his comment.

Can you show me where he said that?

Wow, I still don't see that he said he was an "expert on locker room opinion."

Taco John
03-18-2009, 01:45 AM
So, you can continue to shoot the messenger, but this litany of pros are calling Cutler out for a reason.

Just as the litany of pros are backing Cutler's position up for a reason? Tuesday was brutal for the organization in this regard.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Yeah, but Jabbar has played with an ACTUAL franchise QB, not a faux franchise QB, so I suspect he knows pretty well what to look for in a leader.

***yawn***

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Just as the litany of pros are backing Cutler's position up for a reason? Tuesday was brutal for the organization in this regard.

Really? I haven't read any pros saying that he shouldn't report and that deserting his teammates is the right thing to do.

I guess I've missed that.

theAPAOps5
03-18-2009, 01:48 AM

Huh thats funny I've done my own and its about 2/3rds against Cutler.

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 01:49 AM

Give the names. Where are they? I've heard the vast majority of ex-players telling Cutler to suck it up and get to work. The Broncos who have spoken up have been like Gaffney and Peterson...we aren't worrying about (with a hint of annoyance).

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
***yawn***

Yeah, sorry, reality is sometimes boring and not the hysteria you wish it were.

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Give the names. Where are they? I've heard the vast majority of ex-players telling Cutler to suck it up and get to work. The Broncos who have spoken up have been like Gaffney and Peterson...we aren't worrying about (with a hint of annoyance).

Even the guys who put the blame on the organization (and they are few)... still say Jay should report and be a man.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 01:51 AM
That's weird, I didn't read that he said that in his comment.

Can you show me where he said that?

Wow, I still don't see that he said he was an "expert on locker room opinion."

"Gaffney has what is probably the overall pulse of the locker room."

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:53 AM

No, no... Blueflame... no, no.

WHERE DID GAFFNEY SAY HE WAS AN EXPERT ON LOCKER ROOM OPINION?

BroncoInferno

Yeah. That's my opinion. And, given the overall comments that have been made by both ex-NFL players and current Broncos, I think it's probably an accurate one.

Blueflame
Even the guys who put the blame on the organization (and they are few)... still say Jay should report and be a man.

Jay says he'll report, so where's your beef?

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Royal Interview Recap

-Said nice things about Jay
-Said nice things about Josh
-Said nice things about Bowlen
-Happy with the pick-ups, excited about the future

Eddie is a smart kid.

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 01:55 AM

I have a bridge for sell in Brooklyn. Could I interest you?

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:55 AM

I guess with our "leader" missing the first team meeting and that little issue of him demanding a trade because it has "run its course" in Denver.

Just those little things.

So, does it hurt to love him and not have him love you back?

How do you deal with the pain?

theAPAOps5
03-18-2009, 01:56 AM
This issue could be hurting the team now but seems to me in the future it will solidify this team. Now back to bed for me, my kid woke me up with her ear infections. Can't believe you guys are up going round and round! :)

Goodnight all.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:02 AM
No, no... Blueflame... no, no.

WHERE DID GAFFNEY SAY HE WAS AN EXPERT ON LOCKER ROOM OPINION?

No one claimed that he made that statement. (strawman, as usual)

BUT... as a guy who's been in the locker room for what? 2 days? And has not yet met Jay Cutler... his opinion means something... WHY?

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Yeah. That's my opinion. And, given the overall comments that have been made by both ex-NFL players and current Broncos, I think it's probably an accurate one.

Well, y'know what they say about opinions...

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I have a bridge for sell in Brooklyn. Could I interest you?

Only if you trade for my oceanfront property in Kansas.

TDmvp
03-18-2009, 02:06 AM

Nah, Jabbar Gaffney just knows what a real star looks like, that's all. He also knows how they act.

Crying? He's just calling them like he sees them. This guy understands the TEAM concept. You can hear it in every word he speaks. Come to think of it, you can hear it in pretty much anyone's words who's come from that culture of winning in NE.

your such a moron .... Cry/Crying ? you pick that 1 word ...

I didn't say Jab's was crying , i was making a generalization of all WRs and a joke dumba$$ after saying JAb was a bug eyed joke of a WR who has most likely never spoke to Cutler ... and then i wished all Wrs was born that way so there wr be less primadona WRs .... It's called a joke or sarcasm...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSzEf--cIWs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSzEf--cIWs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Your reading comprehension sucks as bad as your routine of making anything anyone says into a pro or anti Cutler bit and bishing like a 12 year old with a skinned knee every other post. Yea , like you know SOoooo much more then any one else on the net ... Cause to hear you tell it you would think you used to be a GM and know a lot of these people personally ...

and Jabbar is just barely a pro . Doubt he makes the team . Him and your reading comp. do have a lot in common tho ..

Do us all a big fav . Go outside and play hide and go F yourself and give it a rest already and get over yourself ...

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:10 AM
I guess with our "leader" missing the first team meeting and that little issue of him demanding a trade because it has "run its course" in Denver.

Just those little things.

So, does it hurt to love him and not have him love you back?

How do you deal with the pain?

Methinks you may have mistaken rejection of McD for rejection of the Broncos/fans....

It appears that you're still not over Jake.... :D

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:19 AM
OMG... the illustrious Jabar Gaffney... who's going into his 8th NFL season with a career-best 632 receiving yards 4 seasons ago...now wants to critique a QB who threw for 4000+ yards last year? This thread can't be serious....

Requiem
03-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Gaffney might have bug eyes, but he don't got delusions and diabetes like Jay.

Popps
03-18-2009, 02:21 AM
No one claimed that he made that statement. (strawman, as usual)
?

Oh really, then what was this about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps

So after what? 2 days in Dove Valley, Gaffney's suddenly an expert on the consensus of opinion in the locker room? I'd say NOT...

Where did he make that statement, BF? Where does he say that? Where does he even IMPLY that?

Talk the **** about straw man... you're the one that invented that garbage statement, now you want to distance yourself from it?

Make up your mind, did he say it or not? If not, why are you claiming that he says he's an expert?

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Oh really, then what was this about...

Quote:

So after what? 2 days in Dove Valley, Gaffney's suddenly an expert on the consensus of opinion in the locker room? I'd say NOT...

Where did he make that statement, BF? Where does he say that? Where does he even IMPLY that?

Talk the **** about straw man... you're the one that invented that garbage statement, now you want to distance yourself from it?

Make up your mind, did he say it or not? If not, why are you claiming that he says he's an expert?

The point is that the noob Gaffney (who hasn't cracked 700 receiving yards in a 7-year career) hasn't even met Cutler as a teammate yet. His opinion therefore is about as valuable as a green chili fart.

Popps
03-18-2009, 02:34 AM
The point is that the noob Gaffney (who hasn't cracked 700 receiving yards in a 7-year career) hasn't even met Cutler as a teammate yet. His opinion therefore is about as valuable as a green chili fart.

Hey, he didn't say he was a Superstar. But, he's won something, at least. More than some people can say, eh BF?

Dude just made a simple statement... the implication was simply that he comes from a culture of winning and prima donna bull**** wasn't tolerated.

I very much look forward to rooting for Jabbar this season. We need more like him... which is why he's been brought to Denver. That, and he was a great #3 receiver and made clutch catches down the stretch.

Shoemaker
03-18-2009, 02:34 AM
BUT... as a guy who's been in the locker room for what? 2 days? And has not yet met Jay Cutler... his opinion means something... WHY?

Well to be fair, Jabar Gaffney has actually shown up for the first team meeting and been in the locker room for those two days, so his opinion counts for something.

Though to be honest, if this is a swipe its a pretty tame one. All he said was that Belichick was "Not showing favoritism to any one player who is supposed to be a 'star.'"

He could have easily been referring to Brady or Moss, two stars who reportedly aren't treated any differently by Belichick. And we don't even know the wording of the question; he could have just been reiterating it, not going after Jay.

Are we really looking to invent some drama now? I'd say we have enough as it is.

BroncoMan4ever
03-18-2009, 02:36 AM
and if Gafney didn't suck McDaniels dick he would still be unemployed, so who cares what he thinks

Williams
03-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Gaffney might have bug eyes, but he don't got delusions and diabetes like Jay.

You're all thinking of Reche Caldwell... another former Pats receiver.

Popps
03-18-2009, 02:38 AM
your such a moron .... Cry/Crying ? you pick that 1 word ...

I didn't say Jab's was crying , i was making a generalization of all WRs and a joke dumba$$ after saying JAb was a bug eyed joke of a WR who has most likely never spoke to Cutler ... and then i wished all Wrs was born that way so there wr be less primadona WRs .... It's called a joke or sarcasm...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSzEf--cIWs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSzEf--cIWs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Your reading comprehension sucks as bad as your routine of making anything anyone says into a pro or anti Cutler bit and bishing like a 12 year old with a skinned knee every other post. Yea , like you know SOoooo much more then any one else on the net ... Cause to hear you tell it you would think you used to be a GM and know a lot of these people personally ...

and Jabbar is just barely a pro . Doubt he makes the team . Him and your reading comp. do have a lot in common tho ..

Do us all a big fav . Go outside and play hide and go F yourself and give it a rest already and get over yourself ...

Poor guy. Sounds like things are tough for you. A lot of anger.

Anyhoo, want to bet Jabbar makes the team? Go ahead, sport. You call the bet.....?

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Hey, he didn't say he was a Superstar. But, he's won something, at least. More than some people can say, eh BF?

Dude just made a simple statement... the implication was simply that he comes from a culture of winning and prima donna bull**** wasn't tolerated.

I very much look forward to rooting for Jabbar this season. We need more like him... which is why he's been brought to Denver. That, and he was a great #3 receiver and made clutch catches down the stretch.

Yeah, well... if McD can be believed (he can't)... then Gaffney just publicly dissed the guy who chooses which receiver to throw to. Smart man, eh? I bow to his brilliance.

Popps
03-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah, well... if McD can be believed (he can't)... then Gaffney just publicly dissed the guy who chooses which receiver to throw to. Smart man, eh? I bow to his brilliance.

No, no.. he didn't "diss" him. In fact, he didn't call him by name.

He simply said that prima donna bull**** wasn't tolerated in a culture of winning where he came from.

That's all. Naturally, the first prima donna to come to mind is Jay Culter. I don't blame you for that.

Requiem
03-18-2009, 02:44 AM
You're all thinking of Reche Caldwell... another former Pats receiver.

I'm drunk, sorry.

OBF1
03-18-2009, 02:45 AM

Yeah but your piss poor wide receiver has something Jay does not.... PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE. Stop trying to defend that biotch. It has been written all over the net and announced on every Sports broadcast across TV that he wans out of Denver and has asked to be traded. Jay is not longer a Bronco, just like Jake Plummer. Life will go on and the Broncos will survive with or without you.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:50 AM
No, no.. he didn't "diss" him. In fact, he didn't call him by name.

He simply said that prima donna bull**** wasn't tolerated in a culture of winning where he came from.

That's all. Naturally, the first prima donna to come to mind is Jay Culter. I don't blame you for that.

Um... there's a specific football player's name in the thread title. Guess you might have missed that.

Requiem
03-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Jay is a bitch and I bet I can throw the ball better than he can.

Shoemaker
03-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Um... there's a specific football player's name in the thread title. Guess you might have missed that.

But you did seem to agree with the notion that Gaffney had "publicly dissed" Cutler.

I'm just not sure where you're getting that impression. It seems like a plain offhand response to me.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah but your piss poor wide receiver has something Jay does not.... PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE. Stop trying to defend that biotch. It has been written all over the net and announced on every Sports broadcast across TV that he wans out of Denver and has asked to be traded. Jay is not longer a Bronco, just like Jake Plummer. Life will go on and the Broncos will survive with or without you.

I'm sooooooo overwhelmed by Jabar Gaffney's playoff experience.. (Jabar Gaffney is nothing but a scrub... otherwise Belicheat would have retained him.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Jay is a b**** and I bet I can throw the ball better than he can.

I'd take that bet... ;)

Requiem
03-18-2009, 03:03 AM
I just threw a ball 302 yards. You lose.

BroncoMan4ever
03-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Jay is a b**** and I bet I can throw the ball better than he can.

dude i think you have had enough to drink tonight

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 03:11 AM
I just threw a ball 302 yards. You lose.

My sons can drive a golf ball farther than that... ;D

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 03:19 AM
But you did seem to agree with the notion that Gaffney had "publicly dissed" Cutler.

I'm just not sure where you're getting that impression. It seems like a plain offhand response to me.

Gaffney's a McD man... Cheatriot for the past 3 years. Any opinions he could possibly have formed in a meager 2 days in the Denver locker room are highly suspect due to his previous affiliations/biases.

montrose
03-18-2009, 03:20 AM
And this is why new coaches like to bring in "their guys"...

summerdenver
03-18-2009, 03:25 AM
IMO no matter how the cutler saga plays out, at the end of the day both cutler and Broncos will be judged on how they fare wihout each other.

If Broncos win, all the fans including cutler supporters will cheer for JMac and if they loose he will loose the support fans who are with him now.

Same thing holds for cutler. If he wins in the new city no one will complain about his drinking or interceptions. If looses in the new city people will continue to call him over rated.

Hulamau
03-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Speaking on McDaniels:

“Just how he handles business, the way he goes about treating everybody the same. Not showing favoritism to any one player who is supposed to be, I guess, a ‘star,’” Gaffney said. “They don’t care. They want a team. A team to go out there and win. Because the individuals won’t win.”

On the other hand, Eddie Royal spoke out in favor of Cutler on 104 the Fan yesterday (Tuesday the 17th).

These are just minor signals of what is going on in the locker room right now. Whether Cutler stays or Cutler goes, the locker room is going to be split. I think it will be easier to mend the problems in the locker room without Cutler on the team, as much as I hate to say it.

Taco,
Gaffney was talking about Brady, Cutler ... you know ... ANYONE who pulls on a uniform with one leg at a time and works for and as a team! What is so confrontational or "split locker room with that" I imagine 90 % of the guys in there will agree. And sure most of the guys would prefer Jay play with them and will be disappointed if he doesn't come around. But most will be angry at him too if he doesn't in the end cause they will know in this case he went too far and is hurting them and the team for his own angle.

Hulamau
03-18-2009, 03:50 AM
IMO no matter how the cutler saga plays out, at the end of the day both cutler and Broncos will be judged on how they fare wihout each other.

If Broncos win, all the fans including cutler supporters will cheer for JMac and if they loose he will loose the support fans who are with him now.

Same thing holds for cutler. If he wins in the new city no one will complain about his drinking or interceptions. If looses in the new city people will continue to call him over rated.

Thats the nature of the beast.

WABronco
03-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Nah I think the "I guess" was more a pause while he searched for a descriptive word...he came up with "star". Now, if he had said "supposedly a star"....

extralife
03-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Of course Gaffney is going to be on McD's side. THAT IS WHY HE IS ON THE TEAM

WABronco
03-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Of course Gaffney is going to be on McD's side. THAT IS WHY HE IS ON THE TEAM

Well he was a useful player for McDaniels in the past as well, but ya I bet he brought him as a pre-imptive lockerroom strike for this Cutler fiasco.

Ratboy
03-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Who is Jabar Gaffney?

Dedhed
03-18-2009, 04:35 AM

What, exactly, did your "investigation" consist of?

SleepingTiger
03-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Speaking on McDaniels:

really??? is that why he cut Leach and signed his own guy?

rastaman
03-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Again, people are going to read this however they want.

I can believe the locker room is split, to an extent. I will say, this is the second person who's spoken publicly (player) and shown a little distaste for Cutler's actions through their words. (However tactful it may have been.)

Those dudes in the locker room are just people. So, varying opinion is to be expected, but I'll tell you what.. the more this goes on, the more this grates on people, and those on the fence are going to grow very tired of a prima donna who doesn't want to play with them commanding all of this attention.
You can already feel that in some of the comments of players who have NOT spoken on this situation.

The longer this goes, the more players in that locker room are going to realize Jay Cutler has deserted them... and they're left to make the best situation of what they have. Human nature is going to leave a lot, if not most of these guys bitter at Cutler, imo... and MIGHT even light a little extra fire under them to prove something without Jay this season.

Mark my words, you WILL hear a player at some point this season reference the fact that the world was writing them off without Cutler. Guarantee you... that's not sitting well.

I think the journeymen players and player just barely making the team will side with management and suck up to the HC. Hence back up career journeyman WR.

But the players who have talent and can play for other teams and just so happen to be playing for Nero McDaniels will side and support Cutler....especially on the field. That is, if Cutler is still here for the 2009 season.

eddie mac
03-18-2009, 05:02 AM
McDaniels is the HC whether these players like it or not.

They either get on his side and get out on the field and perform or else they can hit the unemployment line which the majority of these overrated turds should be seeing anyway.

Look at the crap he already dumped from the team. Out of them all, only 3 has signed a contract with another team 3 weeks after Free Agency started.

Robertson/Winborn/Bly/Engelberger/Manuel etc haven't had as much as a sniff in FA. If these other players currently still paid by Denver dont like what he's about they can go sit at home and wait for that phone call from another team that in all likelyhood will never come anyway.

lostknight
03-18-2009, 05:04 AM

What kind of stupidity is this?

A player who never has even spent a day in the locker room, has the pulse of it?

Or do you mean to say that because he agrees with you, he must be a expert on the Denver locker room?

Hulamau
03-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Royal Interview Recap

-Said nice things about Jay
-Said nice things about Josh
-Said nice things about Bowlen
-Happy with the pick-ups, excited about the future

Eddie is a smart kid.

Taco this list above from Popps is the truth about what Eddie said on the issue ( and listen to his interview on Broncos website.

Also, trying to spin Gaffney as 'Dissing' particularly on Jay in his quote, when he was simply making a general comment about no man, including Tom Brady who is the only player he referenced by name, not Cutler, being above the team in the NE/Belichick/McD system is going way too far here.

AND also trying to selectively (mis)quote Eddie to make him seem only pro Jay and anti McD/FO, is exactly the kind of misstatements I've seen a lot around here since this drama began that play right into Bus Cook's disinformation campaign.

I hope you see this? Anyway, just a heads up to look at what you are trying to convey here.

Cheers!

WolfpackGuy
03-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Who is Jabar Gaffney?

Exactly

Drek
03-18-2009, 05:58 AM

His own guy who is arguably the best LS in the league?

Methinks you may have mistaken rejection of McD for rejection of the Broncos/fans....

It appears that you're still not over Jake.... :D

He chose not to return calls from the owner and wants off the Denver Broncos.

I'm pretty sure thats a rejection of the organization. If it was just the coach you'd think it'd be a "I go or he goes" type of statement. Instead we've now got two respectable journalists who have been told by valid enough sources to reference in print that Cutler wanted out from day 1, and that instead of calling McDaniels after the Saturday meeting like he said he would his agent called Xanders to request a trade (straight from McDaniels).

I suppose you can keep sticking your head in the sand about what's actually going on, though it does shed some small light on why people have such a hard time leaving a cheating spouse.

Northman
03-18-2009, 06:02 AM

I was going to say the same thing. I think Gaffney was referring to his time in NE where the team concept was very rewarding.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 06:54 AM
I personally like how Jabbar Gaffney is qualified to take a swipe at anyone in the NFL...

Ashley Lelie has a better resume than this fruit.

HEAV
03-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Club Shanny-han is over. Players are going to have earn their spot. It's jsut that simple and it's been long over due.

If a player wants to be a Bronco and not just collect a check, then that player is going to have to prove it.

Doesn't matter if your Jay Cutler or Brian Dawkins. It's about earning your spot. Period end of story, nothing will be handed to anyone just becuase you did this or did that under the previous coaching staff.

---------

On a side note Champ not having warm feeling's for Cutler speak's volumes!

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Club Shanny-han is over. Players are going to have earn their spot. It's jsut that simple and it's been long over due.

If a player wants to be a Bronco and not just collect a check, then that player is going to have to prove it.

Doesn't matter if your Jay Cutler or Brian Dawkins. It's about earning your spot. Period end of story, nothing will be handed to anyone just becuase you did this or did that under the previous coaching staff.

---------

On a side note Champ not having warm feeling's for Cutler speak's volumes!

Link?

HEAV
03-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Link?

If you'd remove your face from TJ's rear-end you might read his postings more...just saying.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2340347&postcount=4

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 07:20 AM
If you'd remove your face from TJ's rear-end you might read his postings more...just saying.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2340347&postcount=4

Oh my God, I missed an Orangemane post on the Cutler/McDaniels situation!

And, yeah, that proves it! Hilarious!

HEAV
03-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Sure enough, The Patriot Way is alive and well here alongside the Rocky Mountains.

If that weren't already obvious with new coach Josh McDaniels having signed three former Patriots since free agency started, it is clear in the way the new coach is handling his feud with quarterback Jay Cutler.

In fact, McDaniels is downright Belichickian, having made it clear no one player is bigger than the team, and no one is indispensable.

"You can definitely tell he was coached up under (Belichick)," said Broncos wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, one of the three Patriot transplants. "And a lot of those great leadership qualities that Bill has, you can see them in Josh. It's just how he handles business, the way he goes about treating everybody the same.

"Anyone who is supposed to be a quote-unquote star player, or anything, they don't care. They want a team, a team to go out there and win, because the individuals won't win."

Back in New England, that meant McDaniels treated quarterback Tom Brady — the proud owner of two Super Bowl MVP trophies — the same as everyone else.

"I think Tom got (yelled at) just as much as everybody else did," Gaffney said, laughing. "Once you see your quarterback get talked to, then you've got to know Coach is showing no favoritism. Everyone's got to show up and play."

Wonder if that message will carry to Nashville, Tenn., where Cutler retreated after his meeting Saturday here with McDaniels and the rest of the Broncos' front office went south. The next day, Cutler — through his agent Bus Cook — formally requested a trade. Cutler made it clear he felt McDaniels "wanted his own guy" at quarterback, after McDaniels admitted he tried to trade for former Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, because, the coach told Cutler, "he raised him up from the ground" according to a Cutler interview with ESPN.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11936912

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Robertson/Winborn/Bly/Engelberger/Manuel etc haven't had as much as a sniff in FA. If these other players currently still paid by Denver dont like what he's about they can go sit at home and wait for that phone call from another team that in all likelyhood will never come anyway.

And yet people still put 100% of the blame for last season's defense on Slowik. Not one team has even brought these "Denver starters" in for backup depth.

spdirty
03-18-2009, 07:34 AM
of course Gaffney is in McDaniels camp. As is Lonnie Paxton, at least half our new free agents, and Champs lil clique, if it is true that Champ doesnt care for Cutler, which I have yet to see any evidence of.

Think a lot of players thoughare sitting there, and you will never hear em say it, but they are thinking "get em Jay!" simply because he has a good amount of leverage in this situation, and he has that leverage because of how crappy the Broncos have handled this situation.

Still cant remember a time when a quarterback demanded a trade and still had at least half the fan base on his side.

Kaylore
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
I think Taco purposely tried to infer that Royal was on Jay Cutler's side with this issue when he said "Royal spoke out in support of Jay." By showing something another receiver said that was negative about Jay and then following up with "Royal spoke out in support of Jay" it forces the idea of a split locker room. That was pretty disingenuous.

Fact is that Royal has been a pro's pro from the beginning. I listened to the interview and Royal was pretty careful to not throw someone under the bus. I think the only thing you can take from this is that Royal is a class guy and Gaffney is one of McDaniels' guys and comes from a team where no one is babied and felt Jay was immature. There might or might not be a division in the locker room, but these two sound bites aren't evidence of one.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 07:37 AM
I think Taco purposely tried to infer that Royal was on Jay Cutler's side with this issue when he said "Royal spoke out in support of Jay." By showing something another receiver said that was negative about Jay and then following up with "Royal spoke out in support of Jay" it forces the idea of a split locker room. That was pretty disingenuous.

Fact is that Royal has been a pro's pro from the beginning. I listened to the interview and Royal was pretty careful to not throw someone under the bus. I think the only thing you can take from this is that Royal is a class guy and Gaffney is one of McDaniels' guys and comes from a team where no one is babied and felt Jay was immature. There might or might not be a division in the locker room, but these two sound bites aren't evidence of one.

I agree with this 100%.

For all we've seen, Royal is a smart guy. Smart people don't bite the hand (and in this case, handS -- McDaniels AND Jay) that feeds them when stuck between a rock and a hard place. Diplomacy and silence are in his best interest.

vancejohnson82
03-18-2009, 07:41 AM
its just so weird to me that the overall CONSENSUS of this board was the "NO FLAVOR CLOWN" approach and the "LOOK AT THE CIRCUS IN DALLAS/OAKLAND" or the "SO AND SO IS HOLDING OUT WHAT A CHUMP"...

but when its someone on our team causing this kiind of crap we have apologists....please explain

rugbythug
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Gaffney was not even talking about Jay. I would put down a $100 that they have not even met yet. He is talking about McD and his interaction with Cassell and Brady.

kamakazi_kal
03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Wow. shocking how a guy who mcD just gave a contract too and has himself never shown the skills to be a "star" is speaking in favor of the coach.

vancejohnson82
03-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Wow. shocking how a guy who mcD just gave a contract too and has himself never shown the skills to be a "star" is speaking in favor of the coach.

yea....really weird when guys respect their head coach and look forward to working with the staff....

frerottenextelway
03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
its just so weird to me that the overall CONSENSUS of this board was the "NO FLAVOR CLOWN" approach and the "LOOK AT THE CIRCUS IN DALLAS/OAKLAND" or the "SO AND SO IS HOLDING OUT WHAT A CHUMP"...

but when its someone on our team causing this kiind of crap we have apologists....please explain

Who's holding out? This situation would be incredibly different if someone was holding out, but nobody is and nobody has said they were going to.

vancejohnson82
03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Who's holding out? This situation would be incredibly different if someone was holding out, but nobody is and nobody has said they were going to.

no, you took one part of what I used as an example.....I wasnt' saying that he was holding out, but I was merely pointing out the fact that we (Broncos fans) have often looked at other organizations and said, "Thank God we don't have players like that, when messy situations go down.'

this board has always sided with a coach or an organization when a "flavor clown" issue comes up (See posts on picking up Terrell Owens)...but this whole time it seems as though we've had our own primadonna and now everyone is changing their tune and ONE PLAYER seems to be more important than the team

its just weird thats all...I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, its just strange to see the switch of thinking

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 08:03 AM
no, you took one part of what I used as an example.....I wasnt' saying that he was holding out, but I was merely pointing out the fact that we (Broncos fans) have often looked at other organizations and said, "Thank God we don't have players like that, when messy situations go down.'

this board has always sided with a coach or an organization when a "flavor clown" issue comes up (See posts on picking up Terrell Owens)...but this whole time it seems as though we've had our own primadonna and now everyone is changing their tune and ONE PLAYER seems to be more important than the team

its just weird thats all...I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, its just strange to see the switch of thinking

We see this 180 degrees differently then.

I've always looked at Oakland and said "Thank God we don't have an organization like that". Now I'm legitimately getting nervous.

skpac1001
03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
And yet people still put 100% of the blame for last season's defense on Slowik. Not one team has even brought these "Denver starters" in for backup depth.

I think if you have to give the blame to one person, its Shanny. The deadwood players he signed off on have been ignored in free agency, and the deadwood D cordinator he hired and was going to retain is still unemployed too.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 08:22 AM
I think if you have to give the blame to one person, its Shanny. The deadwood players he signed off on have been ignored in free agency, and the deadwood D cordinator he hired and was going to retain is still unemployed too.

:oyvey:

Smiling Assassin27
03-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Gaffney comes from a culture in NE that is foreign to most at Dove Valley. Players give boring quotes, preach a team ethic, and NEVER single out players in the press. Compare that to this team who (you know who) spent many a presser pointing fingers at the defense, and you can easily see the contrast. Personally, I side with Gaffney--you pull together in the same direction in private AND in public as a team, not as a conglomerate of individuals. Gaffney's a role player and probably sees everyone as a role player, which they are. No one player has ever won a super bowl--only teams who lived and died as one, not as a collection of 53.

From what I read, Gaffney didn't necessarily take a swipe at Jay. He was asked a question and did what Patriot and former Patriots do--preached team and didn't single anyone out. Well done, Jabbar.

fontaine
03-18-2009, 08:36 AM

I know what you mean but I'm looking at it a bit differently.

1. By attempting to trade for Cassell this FO and HC were ready (at least in theory) to drop a major contract on Cassell which would have involved a lot of money.

2. When Cutler and his agent get wind of this ofcourse they want to know where they stand and want that contract if Jay truely is going to stay in Denver.

I don't see any problem with giving Jay that big contract because like we've been hearing McDaniels was pursuing Cassell and would have given him a major contract too.

For me that is ALL it boils down to. The new FO/HC don't want to cave in to Jay's agent and set a bad precedent, while Jay and his Agent don't want to look like they can be shopped around with impunity.

Like I keep saying the new HC completely screwed up and has turned this into a power struggle and Jay is being too immature in letting his agent do all the thinking for him.

montrose
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I personally like how Jabbar Gaffney is qualified to take a swipe at anyone in the NFL...

Ashley Lelie has a better resume than this fruit.

Well I'm not sure he was necessarily taking a swipe, but aren't his stats and Lelie's pretty comparable? I thought Gaffney made a lot of nice plays for the Pats the last two years.

hambone13
03-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Royal Interview Recap

"Eddie is a smart kid."

I completely agree, and he made a concerted effort to make it clear what a great QB and teammate Jay is. If he was as cancerous as some seem to think he is, he would have said nothing at all.

hambone13
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Royal Interview Recap

"Eddie is a smart kid."

I completely agree, and he made a concerted effort to make it clear what a great QB and teammate Jay is. If he was as cancerous as some seem to think he is, I believe he would have said nothing at all.

TonyR
03-18-2009, 08:43 AM
There might or might not be a division in the locker room, but these two sound bites aren't evidence of one.

Exactly. I'm always so relieved to see there are some people here with some common sense! This thread is a POS. TJ is creating drama where there is none in a situation where there's plenty. Gaffney's comments are not a "swipe" in any way, and Eddie didn't support Jay over McD in any way.

In other words...

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

scorpio
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

You're thinking of Rache Caldwell, slick.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1262/1325929241_8595f259e0.jpg

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Well I'm not sure he was necessarily taking a swipe, but aren't his stats and Lelie's pretty comparable? I thought Gaffney made a lot of nice plays for the Pats the last two years.

In a sense that's true, but it'd be in the same sense that Lelie made some nice plays for Oakland last year... it's misleading.

He never broke that huge 500 yard mark with a HoF quarterback. In fact, he's only broke 500 once in his career when David Carr was throwing to him.

Naturally, Ashley looked a lot better in Denver than he has since being exiled to QB hells around the NFL.

But being in the league the same time span, Ashley definitely has the inside track on Jabbar when it comes to being the better of two scrub receivers in the NFL.

montrose
03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
But being in the league the same time span, Ashley definitely has the inside track on Jabbar when it comes to being the better of two scrub receivers in the NFL.

Hilarious! In all seriousness, I am hopeful that because of his experience in the system, Gaffney will be a decent flanker. Back in 2007 when I cared nearly as much about the Patriots losing a ****ing game as the Broncos winning one, I wanted to choke Gaffney out as he always seemed to be the guy who'd make the play that was the dagger to your heart. Although he's now my Adopt-A-Bronco, I still want to punch him in the collarbone for that catch to beat Baltimore. I was hoping that was the night. Thank you Eli, thank you so much.

Drek
03-18-2009, 09:26 AM
For me that is ALL it boils down to. The new FO/HC don't want to cave in to Jay's agent and set a bad precedent, while Jay and his Agent don't want to look like they can be shopped around with impunity.

But they can, Jay's contract specifically states that he can, as does every other NFL contract. If they have a problem with that then Jay needs to go play baseball and request himself a no-trade clause.

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
In a sense that's true, but it'd be in the same sense that Lelie made some nice plays for Oakland last year... it's misleading.

He never broke that huge 500 yard mark with a HoF quarterback. In fact, he's only broke 500 once in his career when David Carr was throwing to him.

Naturally, Ashley looked a lot better in Denver than he has since being exiled to QB hells around the NFL.

The difference, Rev, is that Jabbar was only counted on a #3 or #4 WR, whereas Lelie was expected to be a #1 or at worse a #2 WR. Jabbar is actually quite productive when compared to other #3/#4 WRs in the league. He's a role player and plays his role quite well.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Hilarious! In all seriousness, I am hopeful that because of his experience in the system, Gaffney will be a decent flanker. Back in 2007 when I cared nearly as much about the Patriots losing a ****ing game as the Broncos winning one, I wanted to choke Gaffney out as he always seemed to be the guy who'd make the play that was the dagger to your heart. Although he's now my Adopt-A-Bronco, I still want to punch him in the collarbone for that catch to beat Baltimore. I was hoping that was the night. Thank you Eli, thank you so much.

I think his primary function is to help teach the system. I'll be amazed if he has over 400 yards this season.

If Simms is the QB, I'd like to amend that to 40 yards...

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM
The difference, Rev, is that Jabbar was only counted on a #3 or #4 WR, whereas Lelie was expected to be a #1 or at worse a #2 WR. Jabbar is actually quite productive when compared to other #3/#4 WRs in the league. He's a role player and plays his role quite well.

You're going to hold that against one player, and then credit the other?!?!?

montrose
03-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I think his primary function is to help teach the system. I'll be amazed if he has over 400 yards this season.

If Simms is the QB, I'd like to amend that to 40 yards...

You do not have a lot of confidence in Phil's offspring do you? Assuming Cutler's gone, who do you think's the best option to go to?

fontaine
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
But they can, Jay's contract specifically states that he can, as does every other NFL contract. If they have a problem with that then Jay needs to go play baseball and request himself a no-trade clause.

Yeah, because so many other starting QBs have no problem being talked about in trades right without being informed and then lied to through the media?

Come on dude, you're a solid poster but you're really stretching here.

DrFate
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
1) I find it terribly curious that Gafney is the one who is giving these speeches to the media. It really makes me wonder if he was brought in as a WR4/PR guy for the new coach.

2) Beyond that - why in the name of Bubby Brister is this still going on?!? If they don't want Cutler, trade him. If they do want Cutler, admit their mistake. I cannot understand how Bowlen is asleep at the switch on this. He is laying the foundation for a 4-12 season and a season of calls for the HCs job. Cutler or no Cutler - McDaniels is going to pay the price IF this blows up in his face from a won/loss perspective.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
You do not have a lot of confidence in Phil's offspring do you? Assuming Cutler's gone, who do you think's the best option to go to?

He's not going anywhere.

It will have to get REALLY ugly for him to end up someplace else. People can sing and dance all they want about how he wants a "system quarterback", and "OMG matt cassell won 11 games!", but he has a three year contract. Starting over with a new quarterback will burn his first HC gig to the ground.

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
You're going to hold that against one player, and then credit the other?!?!?

What I'm holding against Lelie is his production as a starting WR. If he had been #3 or #4 WR, like Jabbar is, his production would have been fine.

Cito Pelon
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Speaking on McDaniels:

Absolutely. Jay seems like the kind of guy that would try to exploit the problems in the locker room rather than mend them. He said as much to Lombardi on day one of this trade thing.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
What I'm holding against Lelie is his production as a starting WR. If he had been #3 or #4 WR, like Jabbar is, his production would have been fine.

So one player's ability to rise higher on the depth chart penalizes him in comparison to another! Hilarious!

So if we hold quarterback quality against Jabbar and give Ashley a bonus for Alex Smith and Jamarcus, it doesn't balance out...?

You're fun

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 10:16 AM
So one player's ability to rise higher on the depth chart penalizes him in comparison to another! Hilarious!

So if we hold quarterback quality against Jabbar and give Ashley a bonus for Alex Smith and Jamarcus, it doesn't balance out...?

You're fun

Are you seriously incapable of seeing the distinction I'm making here? Lelie, as a starting WR, is on the field more than a #3 or #4 guy, has the opportunity to catch more passes, is usually the first or second read on pass plays. Yet, his stats are comparable to a guy who was on the field less, had fewer opportunities for receptions, was the third or fourth read for the QB on most plays. And, yeah, it's pretty difficult to rise higher on the depth chart when Randy Moss and Wes Welker are playing ahead of you.

Anyway, Jabbar's role with his team was as a #3 or #4 WR. As such, you should judge his production based on other players in similar roles. The same burden is true of Lelie. Lelie's stats are below average when compared to most starting WRs. Gaffney's stats are above average when compared to other #3 or #4 WRs. SO, Gaffney fulfilled his role on the team better than Lelie did. Is this really so hard to comprehend, or are you being obtuse?

Drek
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, because so many other starting QBs have no problem being talked about in trades right without being informed and then lied to through the media?

Come on dude, you're a solid poster but you're really stretching here.

I just have a problem with the notion that simply discussing Jay Cutler in a trade entitles him and his agent to attempt what amounts to extortion of the organization (via fracturing the fan base).

If his feelings where genuinely hurt there wouldn't be so much insinuation that a new contract would make it all better, and he wouldn't be so unwilling to talk with the HC he supposedly trusted just a few weeks ago man to man, sans agent and GM, like McDaniels wants.

I completely get Cutler being pissed, but thats not reason to act butt hurt. Its reason to say "I'll prove to you that no amount of included first day picks makes Matt FREAKING Cassel my equal", go out, kick ass, prove he's the franchise QB he thinks he is, then three years down the road when its time for a new deal he walks into the conference room, sits down, and says "I want to stay here but I understand its a business. I handled it as such three years ago when you tried to trade me, and so now its time for you to understand it when I don't give you a home town discount."

Thats it, end of story. That is what Jay Cutler should have done if this was truly about the trade rumors and not about trying to get a new deal ASAP. So either its about the money, or Jay Cutler is so damn immature that he can't handle business dealings like a man should.

USMCBladerunner
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM

cmon...you're not that obtuse are you?...this is apples and oranges...this discussion is about the treatment, handling, communication and dynamics between the coach and all the various players on the team...

you are talking about making front office decisions about which players comprise that team...Mike Leach is a Texan, so he has no relevance to this conversation.

Amazingly, the same might be true about Cutler soon.

Kaylore
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I just have a problem with the notion that simply discussing Jay Cutler in a trade entitles him and his agent to attempt what amounts to extortion of the organization (via fracturing the fan base).

If his feelings where genuinely hurt there wouldn't be so much insinuation that a new contract would make it all better, and he wouldn't be so unwilling to talk with the HC he supposedly trusted just a few weeks ago man to man, sans agent and GM, like McDaniels wants.

That's what it comes down to to me. From the beginning I've said two things.

A team has a right to discuss trading any player they have under contract. Pro players know this when they go into this profession. Is it heart warming? No, but you get paid to play a game, so this is one of those things you live with. Players should not criticize their front office. It's not their job and therefore none of their business.
If Jay was really so offended by this, he would be one of the whiniest, weakest-minded players in sports. It is impossible for someone who has done what he does for so long to be that way. It is clearer and clearer this is about money and a new contract. He also is mad about Bates and Shanahan being fired and wants to move on.

Circle Orange
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Like the old saying goes...the surest way to find out about someone is to live with them!

I expect opinions to be all over the board. It could be that some of the players like Jay as a person (or at least initially) but may be getting turned off the more they find out. It's like living next door to a 'quiet' neighbor who is always friendly and smiles. The next thing you know the feds are carting his butt away in cuffs. Also, pay attention to what side of the ball makes which comments. Like the TO situation where the defensive players were on his side (no threat) versus the offensive players who had to deal with him on a more personal basis (threat).

Also keep in mind there's the 'company line.' Players are taught to back teammates, no matter what. Publicly they say one thing, but privately anything goes. In order to show some semblence of unification generally players will back a teammate (even in cases where it's outrageous). Shoot, there were teammates backing PacMan, and that was absurd. not that Jay's in that situation, but loyalty is expected in the 'code' regardless of how you may feel.

Kind of reminds me of what happened after Favre retired and jets players were running their mouths.

And what fiend has erased the avatars again?

epicSocialism4tw
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Speaking on McDaniels:

The infiltration by these Patriot morons is enough to make me disinterested in these Broncos.

Chris
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Quit yo Jibba Jabbar.

DrFate
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM

And that's the point you are missing. It wasn't the trade talk. It was the LYING about the trade talk.

McDaniels meets with Cutler, they talk football, tells Cutler 'you are my guy, we are going places'. During the combine, McDaniels tries to move Cutler for Cassel. When this hits the rumor mill, Dove Valley goes dark and nobody is near a phone. After a couple days, McDaniels says 'no Jay, I didn't try to trade you'. Then during the face-to-face, McDaniels says 'yaeh, I tried to trade you but anybody is tradeable and you need to shut up and play'.

You don't believe McDaniels lied? Fine. Popps doesn't believe he lied. Fine. CUTLER believes he lied. Half this flippin board believes he lied. Writers and talking heads all over the country think he lied.

Circle Orange
03-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Absolutely. Jay seems like the kind of guy that would try to exploit the problems in the locker room rather than mend them. He said as much to Lombardi on day one of this trade thing.

A comment linked to Jay awhile back concerned me, where he pretty much said the team backed him and if management applied the screw, there would be a revolt. Wish I had the exact quote, but it struck me as weird....ego out of control!

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 10:46 AM
And that's the point you are missing. It wasn't the trade talk. It was the LYING about the trade talk.

I have yet to see you or anyone else prove that any lies were told.

Popps
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM

No, Blueflame... you're not answering the question...

WHEN DID GAFFNEY SAY HE WAS AN EXPERT ON BRONCOS LOCKER ROOM OPINION?

Where did he state that?

You keep dodging the question, Taco Jr. Just answer it.

DO YOU HAVE A QUOTE OR NOT?

Where did Gaffney say he was an "expert?"

lostknight
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
1) I find it terribly curious that Gafney is the one who is giving these speeches to the media. It really makes me wonder if he was brought in as a WR4/PR guy for the new coach.

If you watch carefully, anyone who comment on the Jay thing is going to be a ex-patriot, or a new player.

There is a reason for that.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:53 AM
That's what it comes down to to me. From the beginning I've said two things.

A team has a right to discuss trading any player they have under contract. Pro players know this when they go into this profession. Is it heart warming? No, but you get paid to play a game, so this is one of those things you live with. Players should not criticize their front office. It's not their job and therefore none of their business.
If Jay was really so offended by this, he would be one of the whiniest, weakest-minded players in sports. It is impossible for someone who has done what he does for so long to be that way. It is clearer and clearer this is about money and a new contract. He also is mad about Bates and Shanahan being fired and wants to move on.

Point One I love and completely agree with.

But what goes hand in hand with this being a business and people being within their rights is the player's ability to do what's best for themselves and their families.

Popps
03-18-2009, 10:53 AM

Oh, boo ****ing hoo.

Poor millionaire can't handle business negotiations?

Beyond that, there's no proof a "lie" was told. That's in your mind, and a story you're wanting to believe to keep yourself angry over this.

You don't believe McDaniels lied? Fine. Popps doesn't believe he lied. Fine. CUTLER believes he lied. .

Again, when you have a tape recording, someone who was in the meetings that confirm it, an unbiased third party, we can talk. Until then, Cutlerbus, who happen to be demanding a trade or a massive raise, are just feeding you a story.

Beyond that, there is a TON of gray area here between LIE, and things changing. You don't know what happened and none of these talking heads you talk about know, either.

But, almost 100% of the pros think he's handling this wrong and should do his job. That's all I care about. You can concern yourself with Jay's tender feelings and have yourself a good cry over the whole thing. Take the day off work. Watch Lifetime and cry it out.

Me? I want the bowl-haircut mother****er to get his prima-donna ass into camp and act like a man, like the rest of his teammates.

Look, Bowlen said Shanny was "coach for life." (Anyone who believed that was a ****ing idiot, by the way.)

So, EVERYONE was lied to. Somehow, the rest of the MEN in that locker room got over it and are going on with their lives.

Why are you writing Cutlerbus a free pass for acting like a prick when the rest of the locker room is manning up?

Jay needs to do the same, or he can go **** himself and rot away in Detroit, for all I care.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I have yet to see you or anyone else prove that any lies were told.

Because we could invite McDaniels to an OMane conference call, have him admit it, and you'd still pick it apart and say it was someone else on the line.

TonyR
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
You don't believe McDaniels lied? Fine. Popps doesn't believe he lied. Fine. CUTLER believes he lied. Half this flippin board believes he lied. Writers and talking heads all over the country think he lied.

Let's assume McD lied, true or not. Hypothetically, if your boss lied to you would you publicly express your displeasure and not show up to work? Just curious.

Popps
03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Because we could invite McDaniels to an OMane conference call, have him admit it, and you'd still pick it apart and say it was someone else on the line.

Get him on. I'll applaud him for trying to make the T E A M better.

**** anyone who stands in the way. If Jay Cutler would just mind his own business and do his job, we wouldn't have any problems.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Let's assume McD lied, true or not. Hypothetically, if your boss lied to you would you publicly express your displeasure and not show up to work? Just curious.

If I could make 10x the money doing the same job at another place?

Yeah...

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
...and you have to make that "voluntary work functions" to be accurate, Tony

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
No, Blueflame... you're not answering the question...

WHEN DID GAFFNEY SAY HE WAS AN EXPERT ON BRONCOS LOCKER ROOM OPINION?

Where did he state that?

You keep dodging the question, Taco Jr. Just answer it.

DO YOU HAVE A QUOTE OR NOT?

Where did Gaffney say he was an "expert?"

Popps, I think she's been responding and referencing this post the whole time:

Gaffney has what is probably the overall pulse of the locker room.

She wasn't criticizing Gaffney for saying he's the locker room authority. She was criticizing BI for claiming that Gaffney was somehow the authority.

DrFate
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Beyond that, there's no proof a "lie" was told. That's in your mind, and a story you're wanting to believe to keep yourself angry over this.

Again, when you have a tape recording, someone who was in the meetings that confirm it, an unbiased third party, we can talk. Until then, Cutlerbus, who happen to be demanding a trade or a massive raise, are just feeding you a story.

There were no unbiased third parties in the meetings. And there is all kinds of evidence that McDaniels lied.

Beyond that, there is a TON of gray area here between LIE, and things changing. You don't know what happened and none of these talking heads you talk about know, either.

And neither do you, nor the talking heads that you keep quoting. The word games some of you guys get into is just beyond belief. Where is the gray area between 'I wanted to trade you for Cassel' and 'I didn't want to trade you for Cassel'?

But, almost 100% of the pros think he's handling this wrong and should do his job. That's all I care about.

That simply isn't true. Unless 'almost 100%' means 'about half'. There is interview after interview of former NFL players who say this whole thing has been mishandled and botched, by the Broncos, since the weekend of the combine.

TonyR
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
If I could make 10x the money doing the same job at another place?

Yeah...

I agree. I just want people to admit they realize that that's really what this is all about. I don't think whether or not McD told the truth or not matters at the end of the day. In Jay's mind the mere prospect of being involved in trade talks is a game changer, although there is the possibility that more money will fix everything.

DrFate
03-18-2009, 11:06 AM

Ignoring the differences between the real world and the world of pro sports - for the sake of your argument:

I'd change jobs. I'd tell everyone I worked with why I was leaving, and I'd leave. I've done it before over a lack of trust with my management.

Fedaykin
03-18-2009, 11:08 AM

So you are psychic now?

DrFate
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM

:loopy:

barryr
03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
If Tom Brady and his 3 rings wasn't above criticism, neither is Cutler. "Oh, my feelings are hurt." Go put on a dress Jay.

empulse
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I just dont see the comment in the original post as a "swipe".

And trust me, I am *not* sticking up for the new kid. . .

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM

She wasn't criticizing Gaffney for saying he's the locker room authority. She was criticizing BI for claiming that Gaffney was somehow the authority.

Popps had to have known that... he just likes to nitpick. ;D

Rohirrim
03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
A thought occured to me today: If I'm Pat Bowlen and I tried for two weeks to call a QB I gave $17 million to, and he refused to take my calls, I would walk down to my GM's office and say, "I never want to see that SOB in this office again. Make it happen. And make it happen to the worst destination you can think of."

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
A thought occured to me today: If I'm Pat Bowlen and I tried for two weeks to call a QB I gave $17 million to, and he refused to take my calls, I would walk down to my GM's office and say, "I never want to see that SOB in this office again. Make it happen. And make it happen to the worst destination you can think of."

That's a pretty good point. Had not thought of it that way.

Popps
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Here's the post she quoted when she made the comment...

Originally Posted by Blueflame
(1) Um... Gaffney is a newcomer to the Bronco locker room and has yet to even meet Jay Cutler as a teammate.....

(2) Yea, well... that's because Jay didn't get a treat in his Happy Meal and is taking a time-out. (Permanently.)

03-18-2009, 07:40 AM #13
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Quote:
(3) Yea, well... that's because Jay didn't get a treat in his Happy Meal and is taking a time-out. (Permanently.)

(4) So after what? 2 days in Dove Valley, Gaffney's suddenly an expert on the consensus of opinion in the locker room? I'd say NOT...

Look at the order, and look at who she quoted... and what she said.

She quoted MY response about Jay not being there for his teammates.

Read the thread.

Popps
03-18-2009, 12:03 PM
So you are psychic now?

Yes, and I detect that you're not a good reader.

Am I close?

BroncoInferno
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Popps had to have known that... he just likes to nitpick. ;D

BTW, Blueflame, I apologize for using words like "idiot" in our discussion last night. The tone of your posts seemed condescending to me...that coupled with a little too much St. Patty's celebrating lead to that out of line, overreaction on my part. Again, my apologies.

That said, you are still wrong and I'm right nah nah nah ;D

DrFate
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM

A thought occurred to me today. If I'm Pat Bowlen and I hire a first time head coach (who can't possibly have Shanahan-type power, that's why I fired Shanahan!) and this first time head coach comes in and in a matter of weeks, makes my proud franchise into the laughingstock of the sports world, I'd go to my GM and say 'This guy is an ass clown. We have Mike Nolan on staff, we'll promote him and send this guy McDaniels to the nearest car wash to look for work".

(of course if Cutler didn't answer my calls I'd be pretty pissed too)

DrFate
03-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes, and I detect that you're not a good reader.

Am I close?

I still want to hear about the comments of the players who haven't said anything yet. I'm really hoping to learn something.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 12:06 PM

But, like Jay said....he was there in the building and met with McDaniels and Xanders. If Bowlen REALLY wanted to talk to him, all he had to do was go down the hall.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM

(1) Um... Gaffney is a newcomer to the Bronco locker room and has yet to even meet Jay Cutler as a teammate.....

(2) Yea, well... that's because Jay didn't get a treat in his Happy Meal and is taking a time-out. (Permanently.)

Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Quote:
(3) Yea, well... that's because Jay didn't get a treat in his Happy Meal and is taking a time-out. (Permanently.)

(4) So after what? 2 days in Dove Valley, Gaffney's suddenly an expert on the consensus of opinion in the locker room? I'd say NOT...

Read the thread.

Like I said. She was originally quoting the post I referred to. Just because she quoted you the second time around doesn't mean she wasn't still alluding to the first post. C'mon....a little common sense wouldn't hurt here.

Fedaykin
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM

If I knew for a fact that I could have another job the very next day (and be getting payed an order of magnitude more), sure. If it's "business" then it works both ways. If McD wants to treat his employees as expendable assets that don't deserve basic respect (i.e. being honest with them) then those employee's can't be criticized for behaving the same way in treating it as business.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Quote:

Read the thread.

#1 did quote BI's post... and after that, you joined in the conversation. ;D

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 12:11 PM
BTW, Blueflame, I apologize for using words like "idiot" in our discussion last night. The tone of your posts seemed condescending to me...that coupled with a little too much St. Patty's celebrating lead to that out of line, overreaction on my part. Again, my apologies.

That said, you are still wrong and I'm right nah nah nah ;D

It's all good, BI... :peace:

barryr
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
If I knew for a fact that I could have another job the very next day (and be getting payed an order of magnitude more), sure. If it's "business" then it works both ways. If McD wants to treat his employees as expendable assets that don't deserve basic respect (i.e. being honest with them) then those employee's can't be criticized for behaving the same way in treating it as business.

Belichick is hardly a warm and fuzzy guy and he has 3 rings to show for his way of doing things. We can be warm and fuzzy and be the Lions. That would be fun I'm sure.

Popps
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
A thought occurred to me today. If I'm Pat Bowlen and I hire a first time head coach (who can't possibly have Shanahan-type power, that's why I fired Shanahan!) and this first time head coach comes in andm in a matter of weeks, makes my proud franchise into the laughingstock of the sports world, I'd go to my GM and say 'This guy is an ass clown. We have Mike Nolan on staff, we'll promote him and send this guy McDaniels to the nearest car wash to look for work".

(of course if Cutler didn't answer my calls I'd be pretty pissed too)

Good thing Bowlen isn't a coward who makes his decisions off of BS he reads in sports columns, huh?

He didn't get where he is by being soft. He's not afraid to take on situations that arise. He's done it before, and he's doing it again.

Sorry, he won't be joining the pity-party.

The other thing I love here is, no one is considering the possibility (I'll call it a fact, myself) that Bowlen knows EXACTLY what happened in this situaiton and is acting accordingly, using that information as his guide.

You people think Bowlen isn't talking to his entire staff and consultants about this every day, because he didn't attend one meeting that was supposed to be a one-on-one between a player/coach?

It's a free country. Believe whatever nonsense you want. I believe Bowlen has ALL of the information, and is acting as he sees fit.

Smiling Assassin27
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Belichick is hardly a warm and fuzzy guy and he has 3 rings to show for his way of doing things. We can be warm and fuzzy and be the Lions. That would be fun I'm sure.

yeah, my first choice was wayne fontes...

Taco John
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I still want to hear about the comments of the players who haven't said anything yet. I'm really hoping to learn something.

He said he's a psychic and that he's pulling this stuff out of the air.

DrFate
03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
He's not afraid to take on situations that arise. He's done it before, and he's doing it again.

What is he doing, again? Nothing? Oh right, he's doing nothing.

You people think Bowlen isn't talking to his entire staff and consultants about this every day, because he didn't attend one meeting that was supposed to be a one-on-one between a player/coach?

It's a free country. Believe whatever nonsense you want. I believe Bowlen has ALL of the information, and is acting as he sees fit.

Who said they believed that Bowlen wasn't talking to the staff? That is the first mention of that concept. Please feel free to provide a quote of anyone who said Bowlen wasn't talking to the staff.

Fedaykin
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Not being warm and fuzzy isn't the issue. I'm talking about lacking honesty and integrity. No amount of winning can replace honesty and integrity.

That's why I think both McD and Cutler need to go, I think they both have demonstrated that they lack honesty and integrity

DrFate
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
He said he's a psychic and that he's pulling this stuff out of the air.

LOL

BroncoBuff
03-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Exactly. Popps is really "working the room" on this :~ohyah!:

To me the comment sounded like it might have been pretty generic ... might've been a response to a question about how McDaniels treats players and values teammates in general. After all, Gaffney knows him ... and no matter how "bug-eyed" Gaffney may be, he's gotta be smart enough to know you don't walk in the door and rip your new Pro Bowl quarterback like that.

SureShot
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM

On Facebook its 50/50.

Shoemaker
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
So, the general consensus after seven pages seems to be that Jabbar Gaffney didn't actually take a swipe at Jay Cutler and merely said something offhand in an interview, which would make the thread title just a bit misleading.

Along the way to this conclusion we have decided Jabbar Gaffney is a Lelie-like scrub except with Super Bowl rings, Popps has psychic powers and is referencing Broncos players who haven't been interviewed, and we need to get an Orangemane conference call together with coach McDaniels.

Good work everybody.

Taco John
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Then you would agree with my point that we really have no choice BUT to trade Cutler at this point.

Taco John
03-18-2009, 12:34 PM
So, the general consensus after seven pages seems to be that Jabbar Gaffney didn't actually take a swipe at Jay Cutler and merely said something offhand in an interview, which would make the thread title just a bit misleading.

It was definitely a swipe at Cutler. Maybe an offhanded swipe, but definitely a swipe. I don't think he went out there with the intention of taking a swipe. But he did end up doing it. All you have to do to understand that is ask yourself how you think Cutler will interpret that remark - or how you would if you just carried the team on your back, had a probowl year, and now had some nobody come in from another team and start talking in veiled terms about how you're a player who "is supposed to be, I guess, a star."

Rohirrim
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
It was definitely a swipe at Cutler. Maybe an offhanded swipe, but definitely a swipe. I don't think he went out there with the intention of taking a swipe. But he did end up doing it. All you have to do to understand that is ask yourself how you think Cutler will interpret that remark - or how you would if you just carried the team on your back, had a probowl year, and now had some nobody come in from another team and start talking in veiled terms about how you're a player who "is supposed to be, I guess, a star."

Well, you have to give Gaffney a break on this one. He was playing with a HOF QB but this might be his first time with a real star. ;D

BroncoBuff
03-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Along the way to this conclusion we have decided Jabbar Gaffney is a Lelie-like scrub except with Super Bowl rings, Popps has psychic powers and is referencing Broncos players who haven't been interviewed, and we need to get an Orangemane conference call together with coach McDaniels.

Good work everybody.

Hahahah ... thank you.

DHallblows
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Sorry if this is off topic at this point, but I didn't want to read 7 pages of b****ing back and forth...

But Jabbar Gaffney taking a swipe at Cutler doesn't mean that's how the entire locker room feels. I doubt that even covers half of them. He's one of the unnecessary players we brought in this offseason as one of "McDaniels boys"

Drek
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM

1. when was McDaniels dishonest with Cutler? Just because Cutler says he was? McDaniels has laid it all out, that teams approached him with offers for Cutler and he did due diligence to kick the tires on trading for Cassel. That didn't seem viable so he didn't worry about it all. They never actually shopped Cutler, period.

2. Cutler doesn't work in a field where he can have another job the next day. He basically works in a field where right now he's locked into a three year non-competitive agreement. Unless the Broncos let him out of it he can not play for any team that competes on any level with the Broncos.

Sorry for throwing reality into the Cutler loving hyberbole this thread is entirely based on though.

Shoemaker
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM

I can believe Cutler will see it that way, and I definitely see what you mean, but are we even sure he was talking about Cutler?

Couldn't he have been referring to Brady or Moss, who are both supposed to be "stars," and McDaniels' relations with them and not treating them differently than anybody else?

I think it would clear things up for me to know what question he was responding to. I mean, if it was something like "How do you think McDaniels will treat the Broncos players in the locker room, based on his interactions with the Patriots?" then I have a hard time seeing it as relating to Cutler at all.

Beantown Bronco
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Along the way to this conclusion we have decided Jabbar Gaffney is a Lelie-like scrub except with Super Bowl rings

Gaffney does not have any SB rings.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree. I just want people to admit they realize that that's really what this is all about. I don't think whether or not McD told the truth or not matters at the end of the day. In Jay's mind the mere prospect of being involved in trade talks is a game changer, although there is the possibility that more money will fix everything.

I think it matters because it changed the nature of their relationship.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:04 PM

and will never deserve one.

TonyR
03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
12. Cutler doesn't work in a field where he can have another job the next day. He basically works in a field where right now he's locked into a three year non-competitive agreement. Unless the Broncos let him out of it he can not play for any team that competes on any level with the Broncos.

Great point. And yet ANOTHER reason Jay should shut up and get to work.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
1. when was McDaniels dishonest with Cutler? Just because Cutler says he was? McDaniels has laid it all out, that teams approached him with offers for Cutler and he did due diligence to kick the tires on trading for Cassel. That didn't seem viable so he didn't worry about it all. They never actually shopped Cutler, period.

2. Cutler doesn't work in a field where he can have another job the next day. He basically works in a field where right now he's locked into a three year non-competitive agreement. Unless the Broncos let him out of it he can not play for any team that competes on any level with the Broncos.

Sorry for throwing reality into the Cutler loving hyberbole this thread is entirely based on though.

1. Because he's said as much

2. And if you want to hold him to that non-competitive agreement and set him on the bench, you get no value and set back your ball club.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Great point. And yet ANOTHER reason Jay should shut up and get to work.

Or he can sit down and force the franchise's hand...

fontaine
03-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Maybe this where we disagree. By engaging in trade talks with Cassell, it goes without saying that the FO would have given Cassell a big new contract as he wouldn't have been brought in here as a backup and any trade would have been contingent on Cassell and his agent being satisfied with said big money deal.

Look at it from the point of view of a neutral observer. If McDaniels/Xanders are ready to drop a new contract on Cassell then why not Cutler?

True and I agree. Cutler is being stubborn about that. He should have sorted it out with McDaniels rather than getting his agent in the loop, but the same should be said of McDaniels who kept Cutler in the dark about trade possibilities and Cutler was informed about it by someone else. I definitely agree there's a big communication break down here.

I completely get Cutler being pissed, but thats not reason to act butt hurt. Its reason to say "I'll prove to you that no amount of included first day picks makes Matt FREAKING Cassel my equal", go out, kick ass, prove he's the franchise QB he thinks he is, then three years down the road when its time for a new deal he walks into the conference room, sits down, and says "I want to stay here but I understand its a business. I handled it as such three years ago when you tried to trade me, and so now its time for you to understand it when I don't give you a home town discount."

Thats it, end of story. That is what Jay Cutler should have done if this was truly about the trade rumors and not about trying to get a new deal ASAP. So either its about the money, or Jay Cutler is so damn immature that he can't handle business dealings like a man should.

I understand what you're saying but usually with a franchise QB a deal is long done before the final year of the contract.

But I don't think he's being immature about it. The game is a business right? If the FO/HC were ready in theory to engage in a trade with Cassell and hence the possibility of a new contract with him if the trade went down, then Cutler is doing what any other player would do which is to try and get the best deal possible for him. On one hand he's saying that he wants to play in Denver and will report to mandatory camps and on the other he's getting his agent to play hard ball. I'd say that's a far more mature approach than what McDaniels adopted in trade first think later.

TonyR
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I think it matters because it changed the nature of their relationship.

Like I said, I think whether he "told the truth" or not about the trade talks the relationship was damaged. Both the truth and the lie would have been unacceptable. And the lie was probably the way to go because I don't think Jay could have handled the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmNopAo0PRc

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Like I said, I think whether he "told the truth" or not about the trade talks the relationship was damaged. Both the truth and the lie would have been unacceptable. And the lie was probably the way to go because I don't think Jay could have handled the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmNopAo0PRc

That's your interpretation. We know how well lying about it has turned out...

Shoemaker
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Ah, shoot, you're right. That's what I get for making assumptions that any recent Patriots player has a ring.

Ok, I amend that statement into saying that Jabar Gaffney is an Ashley Lelie-level scrub apart from the whining his way out of a good situation and ending up on the Oakland Raiders and having an 11-reception year.

That's more accurate.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Ah, shoot, you're right. That's what I get for making assumptions that any recent Patriots player has a ring.

Ok, I amend that statement into saying that Jabar Gaffney is an Ashley Lelie-level scrub apart from the whining his way out of a good situation and ending up on the Oakland Raiders and having an 11-reception year.

That's more accurate.

Well if you draw that distinction, you have to compare him to his Denver years before he whined his way out, which makes Gaffney vastly inferior.

Fedaykin
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
But I don't think he's being immature about it. The game is a business right? If the FO/HC were ready in theory to engage in a trade with Cassell and hence the possibility of a new contract with him if the trade went down, then Cutler is doing what any other player would do which is to try and get the best deal possible for him. On one hand he's saying that he wants to play in Denver and will report to mandatory camps and on the other he's getting his agent to play hard ball. I'd say that's a far more mature approach than what McDaniels adopted in trade first think later.

Cutler's position, as you describe, is valid, but his chosen method to go about it is both immature and lacks integrity.

McD should have had the integrity and honesty to be straight with Cutler about his status on the team (i.e. he's not necessarily "the man" as far as McD is concerned).

Cutler should have the honesty and integrity to be straight with the team about what what would really resolve this issue for him (i.e. a new contract)

It's business, and that runs both ways -- but business still requires honesty and integrity which they both have demonstrated a great lack of. Get rid of them both.

DrFate
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Well if you draw that distinction, you have to compare him to his Denver years before he whined his way out, which makes Gaffney vastly inferior.

Yup, Lelie had a pretty good year in 2004. Gaffney has never come close to those numbers.

Kaylore
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Are we defending Ashley "I could have been Ed Reed" Lelie now? Hilarious! I thought I'd never see the day...

Popps
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I love how this had to devolve into people taking shots at Gaffney, a situational wide receiver.

They can't accept the truth of what he says, so it's about attacking his receiving abilities?

Okee dokee.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Are we defending Ashley "I could have been Ed Reed" Lelie now? Hilarious! I thought I'd never see the day...

Absolutely not. You probably lost track of it through the thread. It started as saying that Gaffney doesn't have any right to knock anyone when he's on the scrub level of Lelie.

WABronco
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Did he make the quotations gesture with his fingers when he said "I guess...a star..."????

He's probably too scrubby to even do that! Scrubby McScrubberson!

extralife
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
So you are psychic now?

I like how Popps requires tape recorded physical evidence of things that go against his raging ego, but will use psychic intuition to support himself. Guy is a joke, someone get rid of him.

montrose
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM

I just watched the interview (it's around the 5:26 mark) and the way he delivered it, I definitely don't think it was intended as a swipe at Cutler.

WABronco
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I just watched the interview (it's around the 5:26 mark) and the way he delivered it, I definitely don't think it was intended as a swipe at Cutler.

You don't say? So all this scrub talk is all for naught?

DrFate
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks, montrose. That might have been more of 'how he said it' deal.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
You don't say? So all this scrub talk is all for naught?

At least it's been hashed out and confirmed.

That way it can be bumped when he's catching bullets from Chris Simms!

Hilarious!

montrose
03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Oh, and as an FYI - there's only one "b" in Jabar.

TheReverend
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh, and as an FYI - there's only one "b" in Jabar.

Good point. He doesn't rate any extra letters either.

Blueflame
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
His new last name should be "Gaffe-ney".... I think I'll just call him "Gaffe"

Drek
03-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Maybe this where we disagree. By engaging in trade talks with Cassell, it goes without saying that the FO would have given Cassell a big new contract as he wouldn't have been brought in here as a backup and any trade would have been contingent on Cassell and his agent being satisfied with said big money deal.

Look at it from the point of view of a neutral observer. If McDaniels/Xanders are ready to drop a new contract on Cassell then why not Cutler?
Because he's under a contract in which he owes his team another three seasons for the big rookie signing bonus they gave him?

Cassel and his agent aren't looking for a new deal. If you're under any impressions that his camp wouldn't rather just play out the '09 season with a $14.65M cash payout, then hit FA or another franchise tag (then at over $16M) tender you're crazy. The TEAM that has him will want to extend him, not the player himself.

Its the exact opposite situation as Cutler, where the team feels they're owed three fairly cost controlled years for all the big guaranteed jack they gave him straight out of college.

True and I agree. Cutler is being stubborn about that. He should have sorted it out with McDaniels rather than getting his agent in the loop, but the same should be said of McDaniels who kept Cutler in the dark about trade possibilities and Cutler was informed about it by someone else. I definitely agree there's a big communication break down here.
Seems to me like McDaniels was trying to do exactly what so many Cutler supporters here accuse him of, lying to Cutler. Cutler found out basically as the deal was being canned (probably because Cook had inside sources feeding him info). Should McDaniels have called Cutler up and said "don't worry Jay, no way I'm trading you!" when Cook's sources are saying something completely different, then come to find out we do swing the deal and Cutler is traded?

McDaniels was making sure all his ducks were in a row before he commented. It would've been nice if he'd been a bit more prompt with it, sure, but the fact of the matter is, this all started when Jay talked with Vic Lombardi and other local media and basically called the FO liars and said he had no desire to talk with them. Since then after a "cooling off period" he didn't even return a call from Bowlen, so what's to say McDaniels could've even relayed his message?

Pretty much everyone but Cutler/Cook who have dealt with McDaniels, for his entire NFL career not just since coming to Denver, have said he's an honest and forthright guy almost to a fault. I find it difficult to believe that they were all wrong and suddenly he's taken up lying to his star player for what amounts to no good reason at all.

I understand what you're saying but usually with a franchise QB a deal is long done before the final year of the contract.
And in Cutler's case I'm sure it would have as well, but I was just setting the framework for a situation where he gives them that response. They considered trading him, great, its a business and they have that right. But come contract negotiation time he doesn't have any obligations to cut them a "home town discount" either. Thats all it takes, turn the tables as it pertains to the business side of things, but don't let it effect any part of the team on the field, and DAMN SURE don't let it become personal.

He's formally requested a trade. You don't do that unless you want out.

You also don't air organizational dirty laundry through the media. Or fail to return the owner's phone calls. Or refuse to have a one on one sit down with your new HC.

He's not handling it the way a professional would if he wanted to stay in Denver. In fact, he's doing just the opposite. So either he's really immature and handling this in kind, or he just wants out of Denver and this is a convenient excuse.

I'm personally of the opinion that if Cutler really does want to stay in Denver all it'll take is one good long sit down between him and McDaniels, sans Cook, Xanders, or Bowlen and the two will get **** sorted out and be tied at the hip for the next 10+ years. But will Cutler (or Cook, whoever is running the show in that camp) let that happen? If not then I'm under the impression that Cutler just didn't want to be here in the first place.

Breck Bronc
03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Ashley Lelie doesn't have a cool nickname like "Jaburglar" Gaffney. Jabar earned the name by, IIRC, beating up a 14-year old for his bike while enrolled at the University of Florida.

Therefore, Gaffney >>> Lelie.

wandlc
03-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Drek;2340464]His own guy who is arguably the best LS in the league?[/B]

Big misconception there, both players have been in the league 9 years. Paxton has 2 bad snaps, Leach 0, Paxton has 6 solo tackles, Leach has 24. I would say Leach is the overall better special teams player.

bombay
03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
It's funny when internet posters think they somehow know what the players think, or what the 'pulse of the locker room' is. They don't. Not a clue.

24champ
03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Wait so is Gaffney related to the nut-job poster in the WRP forum?

TonyR
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I love how this had to devolve into people taking shots at Gaffney, a situational wide receiver.

They can't accept the truth of what he says, so it's about attacking his receiving abilities?

Okee dokee.

It is fugging ridiculous, isn't it?!?

TonyR
03-18-2009, 09:13 PM

Yup. It wasn't. Which I thought was clear even without seeing the video, but that's just me.

royr17
03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
This is just a sad situation, im glad the my team has got Cassell but saddened to see Cutler act this way. I actually like it when you guys have a good QB makes is a harder fought battle.

Just sad thing to deal with it. Here's to hopin you guys get this situation resolved.

Bronco Bob
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Wait so is Gaffney related to the nut-job poster in the WRP forum?

I was wondering about that too. Does anyone know if Jabar Gaffney thinks 9/11 was an inside job? :giggle: